Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brighton UK

Fab place! Love the rain and village feel:)

by Anonymousreply 43May 27, 2022 2:44 PM

Love it not far from London. Fantastic gay culture laid back vibe.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 6:05 PM

Can’t wait to go there one day to visit the beach.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 6:10 PM

Full of drug addicts and alcoholics.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 6:43 PM

[quote]Full of drug addicts and alcoholics.

Just Brighton or are you referring to all of England?

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 6:46 PM

Brighton even more so per head of population.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 6:50 PM

“football drama, just bants”, i say; watching helplessly as gay sea pigeons spiral their way down perilously close to the abyss of relegation

taking a single point off a team of championship freshers who have only just arrived and only send kids & amateurs out onto the field means next to nothing. so that useless closetcase llama can shut up about it and retire his hobbled bones asap

albion i am NOT being paid enough for this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 6:54 PM

[R3], you haven't been to Scotland, have you? It puts Brighton quite in the shade.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 7:08 PM

The Key West of England. Only worse.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 7:10 PM

I used London as my base, got a train pass and chose Brighton as one of my day trips. It's only about an hour by train and the town is easy to walk. I got off the train and walked down to the beach. The beach was full of rocks so I was disappointed. When I hear the word "beach" I think of sand but obviously that's not always the case. LOL. I quite liked the Palace Pier with its carnival atmosphere. The food and the rides reminded me of the fairs I used to attend as a child. Then I walked to the Royal Pavilion (home of the Prince Regent during the 19th century) but after touring that place I got a splitting headache from the garish colors. I spent the rest of the day just walking around the town to get the feel of the place. It has some lovely little shops and restaurants. There is also wonderful examples of Georgian architecture along the seaside.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 7:13 PM

I enjoyed the bath house that I went to when I was working in Worthing and staying at the Jury’s Inn by the train station. The bath house was somewhere down the hill going toward the beach and to the left (when you’re facing the ocean).

Anyway, I had a hot foursome and I was flirting with this lovely twink as I saw him in the various rooms. But this old big bear just wouldn’t leave me alone. I just left after I left the bear slurp me a bit. I tried to find another hookup through Recon later that night, but nothing came of it.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 7:13 PM

2000s-era Channel 4 lesbian dramedy SUGAR RUSH was filmed and set in Brighton. It’s an underrated cult classic, very funny and frank and British.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 7:58 PM

not Hendo thinking about whether the Brighton branch of Prowler is full of signs the same the fateful one in Soho in spring 2016...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 8:43 PM

All that money spent, and tomorrow Chelsea are just gonna steal all their points and knock them back down the table. Sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 11:54 PM

Frightful sea gulls.

And I actually called the paramedics to tend to a very drunk and emotionally disturbed woman at the bar I was in. They didn't want to come but I insisted. I was going by US standard of care and realize things are different in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2022 12:21 AM

R14 called an ambulance for a bird cos she was plastered? 🤡 can’t see why unless she was choking on vom or threatening to shank someone/jump out a window/running around publically starkers..

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2022 12:31 AM

In the 80s, my mum went to Sixth Form College there.

She said it was a really dynamic and fun and interesting place to be in the summer months, because there were plenty of tourists from all over the place, and all the boardwalk freaks and gays and subcultural youths would come out to play. The live alternative music scene was apparently a big deal back then, too. My mum reports once witnessing a beachside standoff between some mods and some skinheads, which is quite a funny image (mum was a prep of sorts).

However, she said that once the weather turned colder and the nights drew in, everyone interesting left, and the place just became a dreary quiet rundown seaside town full of the elderly, burnouts, and a small contingent of students too poor to go home for the holidays. She hated the place in the winter, and got very homesick for London & Nairobi (her two home cities).

That was some 40 years ago, though. I’m sure it’s very different now. From what I gather talking to peers of mine, it’s rather more sanitised and gentrified and ‘Queer’ rather than the dirty Guignol gay underground it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2022 11:11 AM

R15 guess you missed the point that she was emotionally disturbed and in my medical opinion (yes I am a MD) in danger of harming herself. Where I come from, an ambulance comes and takes you to a hospital where you will be 5150'd and further evaluated and kept out of harms way.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2022 11:29 AM

Is Brighton the seaside town that they forgot to bomb?

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2022 11:39 AM

[quote]Where I come from, an ambulance comes and takes you to a hospital where you will be 5150'd and further evaluated and kept out of harms way.

And then presented with a bill for $53,000.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2022 11:55 AM

One of my favourite films!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2022 2:12 PM

Alison Moyet's love song to Brighton (and in particular its gays)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2022 2:17 PM

It’s fucking horrible. Seedy and grim atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2022 2:25 PM

A DRAW? AGAINST CHELS???

what kind of hilarious clown-World are we living in? Mason Mount is headed for the Conference League while Tits Lallana lifts the Prem?

need a bubblegin rn babes this timeline currently has me spiralling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2022 10:20 PM

Cracks me up that Gra Potter looks so much like Chuck Norris 🥋

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2022 11:20 AM

I'm not a big fan of Brighton, there's a lot of skanky people and druggies around.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2022 12:36 PM

The Royal Pavilion is well worth seeing for a display of ostentation. Brighton Museum is very enjoyable. The Regency architecture is lovely, but the town itself has a miserable atmosphere. Full of ex-Londoners, drug addicts and scene queens.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2022 1:28 PM

I still like Brighton, but it wasn't always so seedy. It was rather nice in the 80s. There was a bit of an old carnival atmosphere with all the old hand painted signs. I believe the old SNACKS AND AMUSEMENTS sign with the stars is long gone. The restaurants were much nicer back then as well. I haven't been in ages.

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2022 9:32 PM

Do people live in Brighton and commute to London?

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2022 4:39 AM

Overrated - depressing, grimey, and not as much of a gay scene as it used to be.

Huge disappointment. It's no P-town.

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2022 4:48 AM

It no pee town? Where people go for golden shower?

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2022 5:18 AM

I was there in the winter for a day. Walked along the beachside. It was freezing!

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2022 5:35 AM

They named a bus for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2022 5:35 AM

It isn't the streetcar named desire, it's the bus named flora.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2022 5:37 AM

R28, Many people commute. The difficulty is getting a seat on the train.,

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2022 8:16 AM

Was just there. Loved it! Yes.. rainy and a bit dodgy. The gay scene is so much fun!

by Anonymousreply 35April 26, 2022 11:00 PM

When Bette Midler played the London Palladium in September 1978 she introduced the Harlettes as, "Straight from Brighton where they were one of the rides..."

by Anonymousreply 36April 26, 2022 11:15 PM

R3, I think you have Brighton confused with Mayfair.

by Anonymousreply 37April 26, 2022 11:15 PM

Just watched a miniseries filmed there. Very bleak and grim--the town as well as the series.

by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2022 11:32 PM

R38 It’s super super hipster. I noticed tons of coffee houses, theaters etc. etc. everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 39April 27, 2022 12:51 AM

Im in Brighton as we speak. I love it!

by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2022 10:40 AM

[quote] "The Royal Pavilion is well worth seeing for a display of ostentation."

I've always been obsessed with the chandeliers, R26. A very similar style is used in the Chinese Dining and Chinese Drawing Rooms at Buckingham Palace. And since this is DL, I'll post an appropriate reference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 27, 2022 10:54 AM

[quote]Just watched a miniseries filmed there. Very bleak and grim--the town as well as the series.

Any contemporary British TV series is going to be bleak and grim - you think they make shows about attractive people with money in England? - if it's set in the long ago past maybe.

Most of the people knocking this place have just seen it in the background on some grimy TV show? Anything to negate a place.

by Anonymousreply 42May 27, 2022 2:31 PM

So it’s seedy, and has gotten worse, and has been sanitized, and is hipster. Never stop being you, DL.

by Anonymousreply 43May 27, 2022 2:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!