Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's going on in Boston?

Seems like a nice city.

by Anonymousreply 110June 22, 2021 3:23 PM

Boston is one of the great cities in the U.S. A wonderful place.

by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2021 8:23 PM

Boston is a town that pretends its a city. Anyone who has gone to NYC or LA will scratch his head as to why Boston is mentioned in the same breath

by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2021 8:25 PM

Whitest city in America

by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2021 8:25 PM

Boston is a charming, historic city with good restaurants, a good symphony, ballet, opera, and theater. Boston has excellent museums, world class institutions of higher learning, lovely architecture, and water. Boston has excellent hospitals. The city is very walkable and feels safe at all hours. It's expensive. I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2021 8:43 PM

Lots of racists. Black people are not liked there

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2021 8:44 PM

R3 Apparently, you've never been to Seattle or Portland, OR.

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2021 8:47 PM

R6 correct. I can’t imagine living around all those Whiteys in Portland and Seattle. How fucking annoying would that be.

by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2021 8:48 PM

R7 I've been here 20 years so I only really notice it if I go out of town to any other major metro area that has a far larger black population THEN return home and realize, "shit....this really is honkytown".

by Anonymousreply 8May 11, 2021 8:51 PM

[quote] Lots of racists. Black people are not liked there

That is rather a broad accusation. I think Boston is more white than many cities (Philadelphia, for example), but that does not necessarily mean that Black people are not liked here or that there are "lots of racists." I think that Boston has to do better, but you give a false impression.

by Anonymousreply 9May 11, 2021 8:53 PM

A lot of white Irish douchebags that say “fag” all the time. Trashy people.

by Anonymousreply 10May 11, 2021 8:55 PM

R2. You're ridiculous. Size isn't everything. NYC and LA are not the only two cities in the country. Boston certainly deserves to be ranked among the best in the country.

R2. See R4.

by Anonymousreply 11May 11, 2021 8:56 PM

R8, yes, I agree. A friend from Philadelphia once visited me in Boston and asked, "Where do you keep all your Black people?" At first I had no idea what he meant, but then I thought more about it. If you are in most major airports, you see a great many people of color working in the airport, but in Boston, so many people working at Logan Airport are white. Boston is a very white city, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 12May 11, 2021 8:57 PM

R8 Seriously I lived in Seattle for a while. Def honky town lol

by Anonymousreply 13May 11, 2021 8:59 PM

Aside from the high cost of living, Boston is a very livable city. And, it's a successful city in so many ways. Lots of fun summer events from outdoor concerts to the Fourth of July celebration on the Esplanade. Boston Common and Boston Public Garden are lovely and tended to. Lovely well preserved Victorian neighborhoods with streets lined with gas-lit lamps. Shakespeare on the Common, Opera in the Park, free summer concert series. Neighborhoods in the City are full of people on weeknights as well as weekends. Newbury Street (Back Bay's fashionable high end 8-block shopping street) sometimes is closed to traffic on a summer Sunday to encourage pedestrian traffic. If you can afford it, Boston is a great place to live. Oh, and it's very gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 14May 11, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote] A lot of white Irish douchebags that say “fag” all the time. Trashy people.

Not sure where you're getting this. The Boston that I know is a world apart from your statement. Boston is a college town and is liberal. You seem to be talking about some type of older Mark Wahlberg/Damon/Affleck movies that are set in certain working class neighborhoods like Dorchester or South Boston. If you come to Boston, you'll want to be in Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill, Bay Village, or the Seaport District. You certainly won't hear people saying "fag all the time."

Oh, and Fenway Park is in a residential neighborhood and one can easily walk there from Back Bay or the South End.

by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2021 9:12 PM

I miss it every day since I had to move for work. I’m afraid by the time I’ll be able to return on my terms I’ll be too old to enjoy all it has to offer. Maddening and exhilarating in equal measure, it is manageable to live there, not so big that you feel you have to fight for everything.

by Anonymousreply 16May 11, 2021 9:18 PM

And the Maverick Men live here. Just be careful if you invite them to your place—they are known kleptomaniacs and think nothing of stealing from people.

by Anonymousreply 17May 11, 2021 9:23 PM

I was born and brought up in Boston (yes, right in the city) and lived there until I was nearly 30. I have been away for many years now. I want to eventually go back home to live. Can I afford it? I don't think so. Can you go back home again? I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 18May 11, 2021 9:32 PM

R18, where exactly did you live growing up? And what did you do for high school?

by Anonymousreply 19May 11, 2021 9:34 PM

Boston is one of those places that votes liberal but is actually quite conservative. Up until the 1970s or so it never hid it -- it was openly racist. Remember Louise Day Hicks? Now the city is more subversively racist -- you'll seldom see any Blacks around Beacon Hill or Back Bay. The Common is as white as the swans.

Where you really feel that conservative part of Boston is if you move there as an adult. People basically have made all the local friends they want, and they don't invite you in. It's a strange, isolating city. That said, it's also quite pretty, has some wonderful architecture, a great deal of culture, and it's an easy drive to beautiful parks and the ocean.

The gay life is weird: a lot of closeted gays and a lot of private parties that you won't be invited to unless you know someone. It's a closed door city except for the bars, which are brimming with drunks of all varieties, seven days a week, most hours of the day. I can't imagine a large city that has a higher alcohol content.

by Anonymousreply 20May 11, 2021 9:49 PM

Speaking of which, it's martini time here in Boston!

by Anonymousreply 21May 11, 2021 10:05 PM

Hello from Boston.

by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2021 12:41 AM

Things have improved since that movie where Jane Curtain yells about bussing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2021 12:46 AM

Boston is so white and racist that the original pilot to Cheers featured a racist old lady as part of the regular cast, because that character type was considered so fundamental to the city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2021 12:50 AM

Has it changed?

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2021 12:54 AM

Yes, it is less obvious.

by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2021 1:54 PM

I guess this is why we never hear about groups of gangbangers running around shooting each other (and innocent bystanders) in Boston, yes?

by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2021 2:06 PM

That's right. There is not that type of activity in Boston—at least not that I'm aware of.

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2021 6:38 PM

I lived there for a year in 1989-1990 and there were lots of black (and Asian) people. Not sure if it’s changed since then...

by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2021 6:52 PM

Well, there are many, many Asians in the Back Bay, Kenmore Square, and Fenway neighborhoods because of all the schools around here, including MIT which is just across the bridge.

by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2021 8:37 PM

Boston is not racist. That's an old stereotype that no longer applies. Several blacks and Asians are running for mayor this year since Marty Walsh of Boston's Dorchester neighborhood went to work for the Biden administration as Secretary of Labor. Absent so far from the list of mayoral candidates: white men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2021 10:36 PM

R7 Worried that some good grammar and manners might rub off on you?

by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2021 10:38 PM

My friend actually remarked last year when all the rioting and protesting was going on that you never see Boston or even MA featured in general participating. Like it’s always, NY, LA, Philly, DC etc..

by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2021 10:51 PM

A view of Boston...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2021 11:01 PM

Public Garden in Boston

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 12, 2021 11:03 PM

Another view of Boston...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2021 11:04 PM

Beacon Hill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2021 11:05 PM

When many people think of Boston, they think of the downtown core and not the neighborhoods. Bostonians think of their neighborhoods like Dorchester, Roxbury, JamaicaPlain and Roslindale. They are as different from the inner core neighborhoods of Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Brighton & Alston as Manhattan is from Queens or Staten Island.

by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2021 11:30 PM

Born in Dorchester, grew up in Roxbury and Jamaica Plain but spent most of my time in Back Bay.

by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2021 11:39 PM

I have visited most major cities in the US. In terms of general population, Boston has the rudest people by far.

by Anonymousreply 40May 13, 2021 12:03 AM

I was born and brought up in Boston's neighborhood of Brighton. St. Elizabeth's Hospital like just about everyone in Brighton. And it's not "Brighton-Allston." It's simply Brighton. Allston is adjacent to Brighton, but Allston is a separate neighborhood. I'm so sick of people lumping both together by saying "Brighton-Allston." I grew up in Brighton, and we referred to Brighton solely and knew the difference.

by Anonymousreply 41May 13, 2021 12:03 AM

^^In addition to growing up in Brighton, I spend most of my young adult life in Back Bay, Copley Square and the South End. Also spent time hanging out on the Waterfront and North End (the Italian section of town) since I have a good friend who lives there.

by Anonymousreply 42May 13, 2021 12:06 AM

R38 is right. Many people think of downtown or the core of the city as Boston. Bostonians think that too, bit they also think of home as their individual neighborhood. It's a very East Coast thing to think that way.

Also, when Bostonians refer to the core of the city, they say "I'm going 'in town.' Not "downtown" and not "I'm going into the city." It's always, "I'm going 'in town.' Boston is a major city, but its roots were as a big town and the "in town" reference always stayed in the lexicon of the native population.

by Anonymousreply 43May 13, 2021 12:14 AM

Our 11-month winter, 'sall. How about with you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 44May 13, 2021 1:11 AM

Coming from New York it's small.

Spend four years of college there and it seems even smaller.

Lovely little place though and the best place to go to college.

by Anonymousreply 45May 13, 2021 1:13 AM

I've visited 3 or 4 times and absolutely loved it. Did a lot of the fun things, saw a lot of different attractions, ate a lot of good food, even attended a Red Sox game and visited the New England Aquarium, among other things. i think it's a beautiful city steeped in history, and i think that's something i really appreciate about it. i love that you can walk on cobblestone streets that are hundreds of years old. The best (or in the top 2 best) fireworks show I've ever seen was on the Esplanade simulcast w/Boston Pops live which brought me to tears. Very memorable visits and I instantly felt a sense of familiarity to it. Will re-visit, especially since i'm moving back to NY this year.

by Anonymousreply 46May 13, 2021 1:22 AM

When people think Boston they think Good Will Hunting and Southie. Or Louis CK talking about Boston

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 13, 2021 10:12 AM

[quote] I have visited most major cities in the US. In terms of general population, Boston has the rudest people by far.

Oh yeah? Well FUCK YOU, ya filthy piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 48May 13, 2021 4:14 PM

Strange place - has some parts that are cosmopolitan, but is one of the most provincial 'big' cities I've ever visited.

Gay scene (not Ptown) is tragic. People don't dress up very much and the talk of sports non-stop is nauseating.

I don't appreciate the fake 'hardness' of the locals either. A lot of shit talkers and generally reprehensible public behavior.

by Anonymousreply 49May 13, 2021 4:19 PM

[quote] A friend from Philadelphia once visited me in Boston and asked, "Where do you keep all your Black people?"

This is a very common reaction to people upon visiting Boston for the first time, especially people coming from more integrated cities.

San Francisco is fast catching up and while DC is majority Black, you'd never know it in much of the NW portion of the city.

by Anonymousreply 50May 13, 2021 4:20 PM

Nobody says "Brighton-Allston." It's Allston-Brighton. Mostly because that area is only connected to the rest of the city by an umbilical cord of the Mass. Pike and Brighton Ave. Brookline, another city, should really be part of Boston but isn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 13, 2021 7:45 PM

There are number of vibrant attractive neighborhoods throughout Boston. The city is now majority minority. Even Southie is 50% minority. Roxbury is quickly being gentrified. The South End is not the slum it used to be. Dorchester is a large conglomeration of neighborhoods of Asian, Cape Verdean, Somali, Haitian and other neighborhoods alongside Irish ones. There are gay communities in the South End, Savin Hill in Dorchester and Jamaica Plain.

by Anonymousreply 52May 13, 2021 9:20 PM

What are some things to do in Boston with two small children? Aquarium?

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2021 2:15 AM

Just visited Boston for a week. Loved the history, museums, and Italian food.

A lot more gingers there.

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2021 2:18 AM

Lol at you morons that buy into old and dated stereotypes. Boston is a majority minority city. My mayor is Black, my City Councilor is Black, my State Rep is Black, my Congressional Rep is Black. Go fuck yourselves with your attempts to sound cosmopolitan and sophisticated about shit you ignorant fucks know nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2021 2:49 AM

And we had a black governor. This is in part because of how popular culture portrays Boston. R55 is right—old and dated stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 56May 16, 2021 12:34 PM

But Boston Pete, at R12, you yourself said that your friend asked you where the Black people were.

So which is it?

by Anonymousreply 57May 16, 2021 1:37 PM

Honestly, if you're white you don't know whether your city is racist or not, because it won't affect you.

by Anonymousreply 58May 16, 2021 3:29 PM

What I really want to know is why do you insist on having your own Boston term for so many things? Not a water fountain but a "bubblah," not Dunkin' Donuts or D 'n D but "Dunk," ask for a milkshake and you get a glass of flavored milk because Bostonians call milkshakes "frappes" (pronounced fraps)... WTF is all that?

by Anonymousreply 59May 16, 2021 3:32 PM

Are you fuckin retahded R59?

It's cause Boston is wicked awesome.

by Anonymousreply 60May 16, 2021 3:43 PM

[quote] But Boston Pete, at [R12], you yourself said that your friend asked you where the Black people were.

So which is it?

It's both. Sorry you don't understand.

1) Boston is a very white town. There are fewer people of color here.

2) That does not mean that Boston is very racist.

In other words, we also don't have many Amish in Boston, but that doesn't mean we discriminate against the Amish.

by Anonymousreply 61May 16, 2021 4:46 PM

[quote] What I really want to know is why do you insist on having your own Boston term for so many things? Not a water fountain but a "bubblah," not Dunkin' Donuts or D 'n D but "Dunk," ask for a milkshake and you get a glass of flavored milk because Bostonians call milkshakes "frappes" (pronounced fraps)... WTF is all that?

Ah, it's called regionalisms.

Water fountain, drinking fountain, bubbler, etc. Dunkin' Donuts, Dunkies, etc. Milkshake, frappe, cabinet, etc. Tonic, soda, pop, soda pop, etc. Sub, hoagie, grinder, etc.

Are you that dumb/stupid/clueless/ignorant?

by Anonymousreply 62May 16, 2021 4:50 PM

BostonPete exemplifies the worst stereotypes of native Bostonians.

by Anonymousreply 63May 16, 2021 4:58 PM

Bubblahs and frappes haven’t been Boston-isms in decades.

by Anonymousreply 64May 16, 2021 5:02 PM

[quote] BostonPete exemplifies the worst stereotypes of native Bostonians.

Care to say more?

by Anonymousreply 65May 16, 2021 5:03 PM

Speaking of Boston, Sam Adams has a series of clever ads called, "Your Cousin from Boston." The actor who portrays the cousin is adorable. In this clip, he uses Boston-isms like clicker from remote control.

by Anonymousreply 66May 16, 2021 5:25 PM

Just as I thought.

by Anonymousreply 67May 16, 2021 5:25 PM

BostonPete R65: I agree with most of your points but disagree on your comment made at R61. Boston is NOT a very white town. Non-Hispanic white people are less than 50% of the demographics. Boston is a majority minority city. This will be reflected in the next mayoral election where there are no white males running and the elected winner will be a black woman.

by Anonymousreply 68May 19, 2021 12:16 PM

All the lovely things said about Boston here are mostly true, but no mention yet of the local population of Massholes you have to put up with. Some of the worst regional people you'll ever meet, anywhere in the US which is saying a lot.

How a region so beautiful produces such a type of citizen is head scratching.

by Anonymousreply 69May 19, 2021 12:29 PM

The school desegregation (or “busing”) crisis that lasted throughout the 1970s and ‘80s pushed many ethnic whites (i.e. Irish and Italians) over the city line to suburbia so their kids could continue to learn in all-white public or parochial schools. That’s largely why peripheral slum neighborhoods have gentrified so quickly. The social and political power that the Catholic Church once wielded has also markedly diminished since the abuse scandals came to light.

by Anonymousreply 70May 19, 2021 12:50 PM

It’s weird that people think Boston has no black people, but in reality it’s nearly a quarter black. Not sure how a population that large (~150k) could be “invisible.” Perception ≠ reality.

by Anonymousreply 71May 19, 2021 1:00 PM

R71 Boston is a very segregated city. A large potion of the POC communities live and work in the Roxbury and Dorchester sections. Most tourists don’t go there, and most major businesses aren’t located there.

by Anonymousreply 72May 19, 2021 6:41 PM

R69, I'm not sure what you mean,

[quote] All the lovely things said about Boston here are mostly true, but no mention yet of the local population of Massholes you have to put up with. Some of the worst regional people you'll ever meet, anywhere in the US which is saying a lot.

How a region so beautiful produces such a type of citizen is head scratching.

What a fuckin' piece of shit you must be. The worst regional people you'll ever meet? Lick my hole, fuck-face. We are great people.

by Anonymousreply 73May 19, 2021 7:40 PM

Southie boys are usually decent-looking. Especially if they're firemen or EMTs.

by Anonymousreply 74May 19, 2021 11:59 PM

Massachusetts is superior to other states.

by Anonymousreply 75May 20, 2021 12:32 AM

Love Boston

by Anonymousreply 76May 25, 2021 7:20 PM

People need to realize that Massachusetts (and New England) in general are predominantly white. Blacks are only 7% of the NE population. In MA, they constitute 8%; ME and NH are the whitest, with only 1%. Nationwide, blacks are 13% of the U.S. population.

In fact, blacks are overrepresented in the U.S. media/entertainment industry, which I see has started to confuse many people, especially the impressionable young who somehow see it as 'racist' when they see an all-white school/town/city/state. Besides, what's wrong with a place being predominantly white, which is the implication of several posters here.

In reality, not everyone in the U.S. (and especially in NE) has black/white/Latino/Asian friends/family/neighbors/colleagues. That's mainly in the movies and on TV.

by Anonymousreply 77May 25, 2021 7:49 PM

It's hot!

by Anonymousreply 78June 8, 2021 6:35 PM

Are the Irish there still assholes?

by Anonymousreply 79June 8, 2021 8:16 PM

I've worked in Back Bay and in Downtow Boston. Yeah it's pretty lilly white Now I'm in DeKalb County, GA. 54% black, 33% white. I don't mind it at all.

by Anonymousreply 80June 8, 2021 8:56 PM

Boston is a great city and I wouldn't have minded ending up there. New Englanders are slow to warm, but people who think Bostonians are rude are probably the same dimwits who think Southerners are friendsly (absically they spend a lot of time busllshiting with you to size you up, not because they're polite). You're right on the ocean and the mountains aren't far away, nor is New York. Places that ar eless "neighborhood-y" than Boston are no less provincial. The discussion of Dallas with that dead guy was hilarious in terms of how tiny georgraphies seemed to make a big difference to them in the midst of a larger characterless sparwl.

by Anonymousreply 81June 8, 2021 9:09 PM

The Commonwealth of Mass, with a population of over 7 million people, is the 3rd most densely populated state in the country after NJ and RI. Metropolitan Boston is 5 million of the state’s 7 million pop. The number of hate crimes as reported by FBI statistics is extraordinarily low for such a diverse community in such tight quarters with sometimes conflicting interests. Racial and ethnic strife in Boston is currently very low but potentially could be exacerbated by another corrupt police controversy. It’s always white cops from the suburbs who stir shit up in Boston. Don’t blame Boston. Blame the suburban Boston cops protected by a corrupt local union and an international brotherhood of white supremacist police officers.

by Anonymousreply 82June 9, 2021 11:55 PM

R72 "The cities with the lowest levels of segregation are Portland, Virginia Beach, Boston, Seattle and Las Vegas. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 10, 2021 12:21 AM

R64 Every place that sells ice cream in Boston sells frappes. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84June 10, 2021 12:46 AM

R83 If the study included Boston’s large, diverse, but transient student population, I can understand the ranking. As a 37-year resident of the Boston area working in Boston, I suspect that if the data had been limited to permanent residents, Boston would have been near the top of the most segregated cities list.

by Anonymousreply 85June 10, 2021 12:50 AM

Serious question: Why does it matter if there are few blacks (or any other minority) in a city? And not just Boston, anywhere. What do black people add to a city that makes their absence so tragic and unacceptable?

by Anonymousreply 86June 10, 2021 1:26 AM

Absolute wretched shit hole. I had to live there for about 3 years for work. I couldn't get out fast enough.

by Anonymousreply 87June 10, 2021 1:28 AM

I went to college in Boston. I had a lot of fun, it is a beautiful city but the locals indeed can be very rude and the winters are tough.

by Anonymousreply 88June 10, 2021 1:29 AM

R88 Bostonians and other MA residents have been outstanding about wearing masks and getting vaxxed. Then they get in a car and drive to kill. So that explains why Bostonians can seem very rude, even outside their cars.

by Anonymousreply 89June 10, 2021 1:40 AM

^^ From R85

by Anonymousreply 90June 10, 2021 1:42 AM

Awesome place to attend university.

by Anonymousreply 91June 10, 2021 2:13 AM

I was there last week. It's a nice city and really enjoyed it, but it really is just a college town with a few tall buildings.

by Anonymousreply 92June 10, 2021 3:07 AM

Boston is a beautiful, cosmopolitan city with a decent public transportation system and a relatively low crime rate for comparable cities. It’s also one of the gayest metro regions in the US.

As noted by previous posters, the racist element in Boston has mostly emigrated to the suburbs as Boston became increasingly diverse. Unfortunately and perhaps deservedly Boston has become a lazy lynchpin for the uninformed observers to describe racism in supposedly enlightened blue northern cities. The majority of these attacks are from privileged white people from NY and CA and Chicago who temporarily lived in Cambridge (not Boston!) while pursuing their PhD at Harvard or MIT yet seem to ignore their own racist hometowns’ pasts because shitting on the little city that gave you everything including an overpriced education gives you gravitas and political acumen in your small mind. You people never went farther than the Harvard Sq, Downtown Boston, Fenway triangle yet you wax on eloquently and with great knowledge about the city’s culture which, of course, you really know nothing about.

The second group responsible is the collective minority community who has been given extraordinary opportunities for community development projects but has been depressed by housing activists who claim if we make any improvements, the rents will increase so let’s let the neighborhood rot rather than accept outside investment from developers and planners. Oh…And free rent! And no evictions! And more ridiculous proposals to destroy our housing market and send property owners scrambling to the burbs with their investment money.

Finally, to the leftist progressives (whom I am generally a member of):

I would like to see if Blacks, Jews, Gays, Lez, Trans, Immigrants, Muslims, Homeless, Addicts, Mentally Ill, and Physically Ill (Surprise! Massachusetts has universal healthcare. I pay $0 😍) as well as other side-lined demographics who bitch about Mass would like to try their luck in Mississippi or Alabama or Tennessee. My state will actively help you while those states will actively harm you.

Boston is a rare civilized community. Sorry if we don’t bang on your door with a dump cake and the kiddos in tow the moment you moved in. Sorry we didn’t have a block party with burgers & dogs and a bouncy castle upon your arrival.

Non-Bostonians are too precious. It’s why I stay here with my people where I belong.

by Anonymousreply 93June 10, 2021 3:35 AM

No, but someone at R79 is.

And wants us to know that.

by Anonymousreply 94June 10, 2021 11:57 AM

R85 If frogs had wings they wouldn't bounce around on their assholes all day.

by Anonymousreply 95June 10, 2021 12:17 PM

There were never bigger cunts ever.

by Anonymousreply 96June 10, 2021 12:26 PM

Hate us if you like - and please stay the fuck away if you do. I’m laughing my ass off at some of the the decades old myths and stereotypes presented here as fact that haven’t been true in fifty years and some of which R93 has thoroughly refuted, not that haters give a shit.

You hate us because we’re better than you: Massachusetts residents are fitter (actually, fittest) than those of any US state; better educated (highest educational levels, #1 public school systems in the US); richer, with some of the highest incomes in the US; safer, with low violent and personal crime rates any big US city would envy; and access to the highest concentration of great - not good, not world class, but best in the world - doctors, hospitals, and medical care and as R93 notes, the state’s mandatory health coverage means that it’s not just there; everyone in Massachusetts can afford care.

MIT and Harvard are always listed in the top five universities in the world, Cambridge’s Kendall Square is ground zero for cutting-edge biomedical research, and Harvard’s doubling the size of their campus. The state and city draw tourists from around the world (something like 29 million a year pre-pandemic), pretty good for a small state but no surprise: this is where the United States began so we have a lot of history, too.

Plus a great public transit system with subway, trolley, busses and commuter rail; an awful lot of art in, once again, our world-class museums; more spent, per capita, on social services for the elderly than any other state; mandatory kindergarten, some of, if not the highest levels of any state budgetary support for city and town finances, and all this before we begin to discuss the state’s natural beauty, another big draw for the tourists we get to enjoy all year long.

Then, of course, there are reasons why everyone here who doesn’t live here ought to beg to be a Masshole: first state to legalize gay marriage, first state where gays could adopt, strongest anti-discrimination laws, first state with lots of openly gay politicians who get re-elected with big majorities, and consequently some of the lowest hate crime rates.

Deal with reality, haters. You’re jealous. And we’re here enjoying the benefits of prosperity and pretty good government, something that some of you can’t stand. Good. Keep your hate somewhere else. We’re too busy (and healthy, smart, and rich) to be bothered much.

It’s not paradise, but pretty close when you look at the competition. Oh, and for the fuckers who know everything I’ve said is true but who’re still flailing for something to diss, say, “But it’s too cold:” suck it up, buy a coat, and learn to ski. Or stay in your shit silo somewhere else and take potshots. Like I said, we don’t care - we’re too busy enjoying life.

by Anonymousreply 97June 10, 2021 1:02 PM

R97 There are about a million things to do (beach, ski, camp, history, art, etc.) within an hour and a half. Drive that far outside most American cities and you are in an unending hellscape sprawl.

by Anonymousreply 98June 10, 2021 1:15 PM

[quote]Deal with reality, haters. You’re jealous.

and though true, the years that I've been in boston I couldn't fucking wait to leave because of this typical attitude about others, Boston is in reality a VERY large fish in a tiny pond and evinces this by some of the ugliest attitude i've ever experienced in the world, paris included. Want help finding the best way to get a charlie card, "FUCK OFF", can't find the best manner of getting internet hook up, "Eat Shit and Die, you cretin!". Bostonians are singleton's-handedly the least well-behaved people on the planet viewing all others as dirt.

Boston, enjoy being what you are, a total fucking cunt no one else can stand.

by Anonymousreply 99June 10, 2021 1:20 PM

R99 We’re happy you and your hatred are gone. We’re not here to make you happy (where did you get that idea?) I’m certain, because I see it every day, had you been less demanding and coming from such a bitter place that people would have been so much nicer to you.

As it is, we’re much happier without you and hope you’re somewhere nicer (but poorer, stupider, and less healthy) where people hold your hand and answer all your questions.

by Anonymousreply 100June 10, 2021 1:40 PM

Boston, at one time, was a very dichotomous city. It was extremely proud (and still is) of its heritage as the epicenter of the American Revolution, being first in public education, and pioneering in medicine and science. It was known as the Athens of America, being a hub of education, healthcare, and culture. As in 1775, it is a fiercely independently minded city.

However, up until the 1980s, it was also an extremely segregated and racist town. For example, a black man would never dare venture into South Boston, day or night, especially at the height of tensions during the era of forced busing. Boston neighborhoods were as provincial, insular, bigoted and racist as they come, and the data, along with extensive research articles on the issue seemed to confirm that.

As mentioned already, cities like New York, Philadelphia, etc., have/had their provincial neighborhoods as well, but Boston's localized insularity was on a par all by itself. My parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents and beyond, grew up in and around Boston, and I experienced their racial ignorance and intolerance firsthand. It was the norm back in the days prior to the social upheaval of the 60s and 70s.

by Anonymousreply 101June 10, 2021 2:37 PM

But it hasn’t been the norm, R101, for - as you say - 50 to 60 years yet half the responses here make it sound like it’s the case today. People who’ve never been to Boston or who’ve never been there since Reagan was President talk shit as if 1980 was today.

Because, of course you know (or did you?) that the mayor is black, the last two police commissioners were black, the city is minority-majority, the City Council’s make-up reflects that fact, the previous governor was black, the first black US Senator since Reconstruction was elected from Massachusetts in the early 1960’s after he’d been elected Attorney General and of course, all those racists elected them.

by Anonymousreply 102June 10, 2021 4:18 PM

I was going to list a few “firsts” from Boston and Massachusetts but this list was far, far too long. From the seemingly mundane such as a sewing machine patent to the world changing philosophy and implementation of democracy, Massachusetts has been the leader. I really do encourage you to explore its history which started as puritanical and progressed quite rapidly to radical democratic liberalism.

Boston is one of the finest and most important cities in the world and Massachusetts has been an epicenter of agriculture, education, science, industry, medicine, architecture and engineering, and most importantly political activism since its founding.

If you’re a lover of history, deep dive into Massachusetts and its contributions to the advancement of mankind. The history is fascinating. And we’re still killing it today. First for gay marriage and universal healthcare.

Legal weed, too! So there’s that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 10, 2021 5:26 PM

[quote] Want help finding the best way to get a charlie card, "FUCK OFF", can't find the best manner of getting internet hook up, "Eat Shit and Die, you cretin!".

Have you ever heard of Google? What a dumb fuckin' piece of shit you must be. Glad you're not here. Bostonians are self-sufficient and can figure out how to get a CharlieCard on their own. And, we are generally friendly and nice. So eat my ass and take a hike.

by Anonymousreply 104June 10, 2021 5:45 PM

I went to college in Boston and really liked it. I live in NYC now, though, and it feels really small whenever I visit. I'm also from the NY area originally and didn't find the winters in Boston to be any worse than here. It takes about 2 weeks longer to warm up in the spring, though.

by Anonymousreply 105June 10, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote]Deal with reality, haters. You’re jealous.

Not jealous. It is a nice city. I lived there from '82 - 90. But after 8 years I couldn't wait to get the fuck out. Bostonians are aggressive and angry which leads to really assholish behavior. I felt very tense living there, like I had to have my guard up when I ventured out in public. I have been on the west coast for 30 years and love living here.

I will say, Boston is fun to visit and it's true that once you make a friend from there they tend to stick with you for life. And, the gay scene in the 80s was amazing. I'm glad I lived there and glad I left.

by Anonymousreply 106June 10, 2021 6:37 PM

R99 You can't figure out how to ride the subway alone? Blind people and 12-year-olds have no problem.

by Anonymousreply 107June 20, 2021 10:10 AM

[quote]Bostonians are aggressive and angry which leads to really assholish behavior.

This. Beautiful architecture though.

by Anonymousreply 108June 20, 2021 10:28 AM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 109June 22, 2021 1:00 PM

A lot of Irish …..my kind of city

by Anonymousreply 110June 22, 2021 3:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!