Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm Watching What's Up Doc and Am Shaken With Doubt about the Casting of Ryan O'Neal

He's not assertive enough in his recessiveness. Should another actor have taken this role? If so, who?

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2021 5:40 PM

Don Knotts

by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2021 1:05 AM

I usually loathe Ryan O'Neal, OP, and I couldn't disagree more. He's pitch perfect in DOC--the perfect foil for Barbra AND Madeline Kahn. Bonus points that the two leads were spectacularly attractive together.

Redford would have brought the same uptight WASP realness but without any sense of humor whatsoever. So no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2021 1:16 AM

Redford was glib and had no chemistry with Streisand in The Way We Were. O'Neal would have been better in The Way We Were just by doing a reprise of his performance in Love Story.

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2021 1:22 AM

Robert Redford never had as hunky of a bod as O’Neal had in his youth. Part of the charm of the character is his nerdiness contrasted with his sexy physique. Thighs you could just bite into!

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2021 1:24 AM

[quote]Redford would have brought the same uptight WASP realness but without any sense of humor whatsoever

He wasn't bad in Barefoot in the Park.

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2021 1:24 AM

The fact that Morgan Fairchild wasn't an option in the poll (especially since Morgan Freeman WAS) is bothersome.

Oh, and I absolutely agree with R2. Of course, the REAL star of "What's Up Doc?" is Madeline Kahn.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2021 1:27 AM

What OP, no Vivian Vance in the poll?

Madeline Kahn was hysterical. Also great in Young Frankenstein.

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2021 1:29 AM

Ryan is perfect, his acting and timing is superb. Added bonus, at peak hotness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2021 1:36 AM

I think I was on my knees in the theatre watching that scene in R8, begging for him to pop out of the screen, begging him to pop out of those pajama bottoms. I came in my jeans unassisted and had to wait to dry before I stood up. Quite the impression on me.

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2021 1:43 AM

I think Ryan and Barbra were at their peak of hotness here. The whole cast is superb.

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2021 1:44 AM

And Barbra at peak voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2021 1:51 AM

Ryan was perfectly cast, and gorgeous as well.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2021 2:10 AM

He was at peak fuckability at this point!

The living fuck is wrong with you.

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2021 2:51 AM

He's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2021 2:53 AM

When he fell with his back against the bed, he injured himself permanently.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2021 2:54 AM

He had a great natural looking body. Today they'd have some roided out thing play the part.

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2021 2:57 AM

Today he would have been played by Leslie Odom, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2021 3:16 AM

I would love that, R17.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2021 8:59 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2021 9:07 AM

A nerd with a Coppertone deep Hawaiian tan.. Real believable!

by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2021 3:37 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2021 3:38 AM

To think I used to look like him. I'd get it all the time. Back when there were still NY bred and born cab drivers, one asked asked me if I was Ryan O'Neal and would not accept "no" for an answer. I'm sure for years he told the story about the time he had Ryan O'Neal in his cab. Those were the days...

by Anonymousreply 22May 7, 2021 3:58 AM

He's *supposed* to look like a hunk and act like a nerd. It's a reboot of "Bringing Up Baby" with Cary Grant as the scientist. Ryan is perfect for it.

by Anonymousreply 23May 7, 2021 12:04 PM

I vote for Lainie Kazan. Second choice, Walter Matthau.

by Anonymousreply 24May 7, 2021 12:08 PM

“Shaken with doubt.” Mary!

by Anonymousreply 25May 7, 2021 3:10 PM

O'Neal was perfectly cast. It's his most charming performance.

by Anonymousreply 26May 7, 2021 3:19 PM

Cursory research (i.e., Google) reveals that "What's Up, Doc?" aired under the ABC Friday Night Movie umbrella on January 23, 1976. I was just about two months away from my 6th birthday, got an eyeful of Ryan O'Neal shirtless/pants down in the bathroom scene, and suddenly felt feelings that I've never stopped feeling in the 45 years that have elapsed since. I remember even cutting off a lock of my hair and spreading it across my own little chest in an attempt to relive the sensation of the earth moving that that scene gave me....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 10, 2021 12:51 AM

Ryan was perfect. Barbra was perfect. Madeline was perfect. The whole cast was perfect. The movie was perfect. Any questions?

by Anonymousreply 28May 10, 2021 1:00 AM

I remember a movie ad in the newspaper the year after What’s Up, Doc. Ryan was bare-chested in the ad and it looked like a good inch of bush over his boxing trunks was on display as well. It appeared over and over again in the paper.

Am I just imagining things, or does anyone else remember this as well.

by Anonymousreply 29May 10, 2021 9:23 AM

This movie is up on HBO Max and we watched it last night. Over the years I have probably seem 15-20 times. I never ever get tired of it. It is so perfectly cast and paced. Not a false note anywhere. Ryan is absolutely gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2021 5:00 PM

Ryan was perfectly cast. The movie was - and continues to be - hilarious. It's a perfect homage to the screwball comedy genre.

I wouldn't change a thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2021 5:03 PM

Ryan was the perfect befuddled professor. He was very good in comedy and had a sense of silliness that Redford would never in a thousand years lower himself to. For those who say Redford was good in Barefoot in the Park, he was the straight man in that role. He was stuffy and stoic while Jane Fonda danced rings around him.

The only other actor from the list who had comedy chops would be Hoffman, but he's not good looking enough to be chased by the female lead.

I could never understand why O'Neal would be considered for a second for The Way We Were. Not handsome enough, and after What's up Doc, audiences would laugh at the scenes with Babs.

by Anonymousreply 32September 12, 2021 5:09 PM

In 1973, R29? HA! You have a vivid imagination.

by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2021 5:44 PM

R32 It was probably a shadow paired with the poor black and white newsprint photo quality,

by Anonymousreply 34September 12, 2021 5:50 PM

A professor wearing glasses, good looking and hairy, too. What a fantasy. I'm sure it's been done in Playgirl.

by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2021 2:41 AM

He’s perfect in it. Only better in Paper Moon. By a hair.

by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2021 2:46 AM

I guess that movie is a Screwball Comedy

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2021 2:47 AM

R33 I can believe it. My father brought home the New York daily news and the New York post every night in 1971, 2, 3 and both papers had tons of ads for gay and straight x rated movies and their theatre and show times right after the regular movie ads and listings. They all had racy images on the tiny posters/drawings. I think the early 70s were a very confusing time for the world (and media!)

by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2021 3:07 AM

The casting and the entire movie are both perfect. The three leads are all hitting on every cylinder and the supporting cast is nearly as stellar. It includes the best double take and line reading ever by the fantastic actor playing the judge at the end.

Mr. Larrabee: They broke into my home. Judge Maxwell: That's breaking and entering. Mr. Larrabee: And they brought her with them forcibly. Judge Maxwell: That's kidnapping. Eunice: They tried to molest me. Judge Maxwell: That's... unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2021 4:15 AM

The front desk clerk is great. (this is the Bristol Madame, not the Crystal....then one of us must be in the wrong place.) He also plays the principal in Carrie. (We're all very sorry, Cassie.)

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2021 5:11 AM

"Use your charm."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 14, 2021 10:24 AM

Whenever I enter a dicey, unfamiliar place, I do Eunice’s wary “Hellooooo? He-he- helloooo….”

by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2021 11:13 AM

"I know how you feel. I hate it when my igneous rocks are even touched!"

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2021 11:24 AM

He wouldn't have time to take off his glasses. I'd be rock hard, ready to burst. I'd be giving whatever tip he wanted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2021 1:34 AM

R38, darling, What's up Doc wasn't an X rated movie. In fact it was one of the few in 1972 that was rated G.

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2021 1:59 AM

R45 “Reading comprehension” much? As much as I can’t fathom peter bogdanovich approving a poster with Ryan’s pubes, local papers frequently ran ads doctored by the local theaters. Someone - R33 - expressed shock that this could have occurred in the early 70s. I was suggesting that x-rated movie ads ran in the papers, so why not Ryan’s hint of pubes?

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2021 2:15 AM

R42, everyone in my family does the hesitant “Hellooooo? He-he- helloooo….” too. Funny how we never think why, or that we’ve been doing it for almost 50 years.

I’m slightly disappointed that I’m not seeing much love for Austin Pendleton, Kenneth “I am Hugh” Mars, DL fave Mabel Albertson, and the other sexy nerd in the film, Michael Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2021 2:32 AM

R42 “I’m slightly disappointed that I’m not seeing much love for Austin Pendleton, Kenneth “I am Hugh” Mars, DL fave Mabel Albertson, and the other sexy nerd in the film, Michael Murphy.”

Because the majority of these bitches who profess to love this movie haven’t seen it in at least 25 years and just don’t remember.

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2021 2:38 AM

This was one of my VERY favorite movies as a kid. I decided to show it to my (extremely religious) nephews and nieces. Even though they were all probably under 15 or so, they all saw it as evil Barbra trying to break up a devoted couple and hated it! I never bothered showing them any other old movies.

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2021 3:01 AM

Babs is so strong in this film. Madeline is equally strong. Their personalities, the characters they create are both ball-busting towers of strength. And Ryan O'Neal is this pretty wisp of a very weak man. It's a perfectly cast triangle.

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2021 3:01 AM

R47 I love when they've been kidnapped in the car and Kenneth Mars screams, "We're going to be killed!" His delivery cracks me up.

And that fight in the chic brownstone, so well coordinated!

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2021 3:07 AM

It just occurred to me that my first (unrequited) love was a ringer for Howard Bannister. Maybe not quite as hunky but soooo nerdy adorable.

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2021 3:11 AM

R52 Was his name George Glass, Jan?

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2021 3:42 AM

R47, completely agree that Kenneth Mars and Mabel Albertson are both spectacular and I would also throw in Liam Dunn as Judge Maxwell. I see now that he died at the age of 59 in 1976 only a few years after making this movie.

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2021 3:46 AM

Not just Mabel Albertson, but Mabel Albertson in hot pants.

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2021 3:50 AM

Just the sound of her falling, unseen, in the hall is a huge laugh.

by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2021 3:52 AM

And to think old humorless Bab's never thought the film was funny. She she didn't understand the story about the suitcases.

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2021 4:39 AM

Perfect movie, that has aged well. Mabel Anderson's pratfall is hilarious, and her entire "Hello, Hans" scene is priceless. It goes by in a few moments, but it's witty and the delivery is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2021 4:52 AM

this ad shows of some hair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2021 10:26 AM

I also just watched it on HBOMax and it holds up beautifully

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2021 11:54 AM

R46, newspaper ran ads for x-rated movies, but there were no pubes in the ads. If there were, you must be able to provide a link.

by Anonymousreply 61September 15, 2021 1:47 PM

It's strange to me that Streisand was 29 and O'Neal was just 30 when this movies was made in 1971. Fat Peter Bogdanovich was 32 and considered the new 'boy' wonder in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 15, 2021 2:06 PM

Hollywood released no publicity photos and approved no ads with Ryan O'Neal's pubes hanging out. How could anyone be so stupid and naive and unmoored to reality to even wonder if it could happen? It could not. It did not. There is a platoon of people standing between Ryan O'Neal and the photographer and, eventually, the intended viewers of the photos and ads. It's just absurd to think this stupid thing could be true.

What you saw was undoubtedly the result of a cheaply made and coarsely grained screen made for printing a photographic image in a cheap-assed newspaper like the NY Post or the NY Daily News. No one is suggesting they saw this in the Life Magazine. Or even National Geographic. Just cheaply printed newspapers. And this is what you were seeing, aided by a lot of coursing adolescent hormones and a dream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 15, 2021 2:14 PM

“My jewels! My jewels! Baaawww!”

by Anonymousreply 64September 15, 2021 5:38 PM

r64, that's my favorite part of the whole movie. Not only is it hilarious she would come running out of the elevator screaming that, and then throw herself on the carpet, beating it with her fist, but she has a brilliant moment when she realizes what she's doing and looks up to see the other guests staring at her.

by Anonymousreply 65September 15, 2021 5:43 PM

"Don't you dare strike that brave unbalanced woman!"

by Anonymousreply 66September 15, 2021 5:43 PM

I love this season--especially the whole idea of the ancient maid firing off the gun multiple times the second she gets her hands on it.

I have always thought Kenneth Mars plays his part too broadly, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 15, 2021 5:49 PM

Every post on this entire thread is the same person bickering with himself.

by Anonymousreply 68September 15, 2021 6:39 PM

No it's not. Yes it is. No it's not. Eat me. No you eat me.

by Anonymousreply 69September 16, 2021 1:28 AM

R63, Life Magazine did not print movie ads.

by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2021 1:32 AM

Wrong. All the mainstream magazines ran movie ads

by Anonymousreply 71September 16, 2021 1:57 AM

R71 I don’t think he means ads such as local theatre ads with showtimes at the beekman the Sutton the criterion etc. which of course never ran in Life. But Of course Life ran full page “Important Picture” movie ads such as for Ben-Hur and Dr. Zhivago.

by Anonymousreply 72September 16, 2021 3:41 AM

For R64 and R65… enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2021 3:45 AM

R73 So great. If I could star in just one movie scene like that, it would be enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2021 4:10 AM

I had a friend who was on the staff of the Harvard Lampoon when we were in college. They have hazing activities for when the underclassmen "comp" for the Lampoon (which is a bit like rushing for a fraternity), and he had one of his male freshman charges who was comping re-enact that very scene at r83 as Mabel Albertson in the Sheraton Commander hotel lobby in Cambridge--to the complete surprise of the employees and the other guests.

by Anonymousreply 75September 16, 2021 4:18 AM

That's fantastic, R75.

I'm sure it's been discussed to death already on here, but what do we know about how Mads and Babs got along during the making of the movie?

by Anonymousreply 76September 16, 2021 4:34 AM

According to Wikipedia, Mabel Albertson graduated from something called the New England School of Speech and Expression. Love the name, but could find no trace of such a place online. Maybe she made it up, as a joke?

by Anonymousreply 77September 16, 2021 4:41 AM

Was she also born in Madagascar and reared in Rangoon?

by Anonymousreply 78September 16, 2021 12:53 PM

Very funny R78. Inspired by this thread, I popped in my DVD of the movie this morning. It does indeed hold up beautifully. And I just noticed there is a special feature: scene by scene commentary by Barbra herself. Or I should say, about 12 minutes of commentary for certain scenes, I guess that’s all they could get her to do. So I’ve got that on now in the background. One of the first thing she says is that she can’t follow the story with the suitcases, and I agree with her, I never really can either. She comments that her hair was so straight in those days and that it got curlier with age, I don’t believe that.

by Anonymousreply 79September 16, 2021 1:31 PM

R77 That sounds like it could be Curry College...

[quote]Curry College is a private college in Milton, Massachusetts. It was founded as the School of Elocution and Expression by Anna Baright in 1879.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 16, 2021 4:23 PM

Ah thanks R80. Gee, so many colleges out there.

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2021 5:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!