Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Don't put your washer/dryer in the kitchen

Or in the bedroom or anywhere upstairs. This is tacky to the max. If you can't afford a proper laundry room, then go to the freaking laundromat until you can afford one. That is all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172May 15, 2021 6:34 PM

Imagine your life being so empty that you need to brag about where your washing machine is

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2021 4:56 AM

Plenty of people in europe do…. Not so common in the US.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2021 5:00 AM

Whatever works for the homeowner personally. I had my dishwasher installed in my dining room. I have my toilet and bidet installed in my actual bedroom and I have a separate room for my shower, which is a more intimate space.

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2021 5:01 AM

I guess we don't have to ask where R1's washer/dryer is.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2021 5:02 AM

My washer and dryer are centered in the sitting room with comfy chairs on either side and a comfy couch in front.

My heavily sedated elder-husbear loves watching magical clothing go in soiled and come out clean.

He bought me an Elantra so OP can go fuck his snooty self!

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2021 5:02 AM

What's wrong with putting your washer in the kitchen?

Mu country's regulations say washers should be placed in a room with a sloping concrete floor and drain to accomodate overflows.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2021 5:02 AM

I rent, & don't have a choice. It's a stackable model in an alcove off the kitchen. I'm just grateful to have in-apartment laundry. It was a requirement when I moved in.

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2021 5:03 AM

I saw a w/d in the downstairs bathroom before and was appalled.

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2021 5:05 AM

r7, bullshit. it's a renters market, tell your landlord where you want the appliances installed.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2021 5:05 AM

R5 is a top-tier rent boy. Take notes, all. Married and he got himself an Elantra,

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2021 5:09 AM

Most European and British houses are designed to have the washer/dryer in the kitchen OP.

Please write to Europe about this situation and let them know that they just don't meet your standards. Let us all know if and how they respond.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2021 5:11 AM

I assume OP is busy at the laundromat.

I myself, have them in the basement. But a kitchen arrangement such as the one shown would be easier to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2021 5:12 AM

I have these appliances in all my homes. Ask the housekeepers where they are, as I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2021 5:13 AM

May we use a basement?

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2021 5:13 AM

there are no other pics of the place. And, AND, where is the refrigerator?

People like having a washer and dryer though.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2021 5:13 AM

R3 what is the reasoning for putting a toilet in your bedroom?

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2021 5:13 AM

Have you ever rented before R9?

Doesn't sound like it.

99% of landlords would simply stare at a prospective tenant who demanded their white goods appliances be installed in a particular spot and immediately begin mentally going through the list of recent applicants for their rental property.

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2021 5:14 AM

The basement is perfectly fine.

[quote]Most European and British houses are designed to have the washer/dryer in the kitchen OP.

I don't care what they do in Europe. Why are you even bringing Europe into this?

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2021 5:15 AM

This is weird. That is a nice oven, so most likely could find another place.

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2021 5:15 AM

Glad to hear the basement is fine, OP. But then I dare say you spend most of your time there.

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2021 5:16 AM

Maybe this is the summer kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2021 5:16 AM

I don’t associate with people who have an upstairs washer/dryer. I’m above them.

by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2021 5:18 AM

Because the picture in the post is an obviously European kitchen if one has traveled outside of Des Moines?

by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2021 5:18 AM

I've downsized and had to combine my gift wrapping room and laundry room.

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2021 5:20 AM

counterpoint: go fuck yourself

The concept of a laundry room in a house is outdated and i would guess, viewed as a waste of space. Kind of like formal dining rooms. Newer construction and condos have laundry closets. Nothing wrong with a small laundry room if youve got the space tho

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2021 5:23 AM

My father lived in a $2 million condo in San Francisco and had the washer/dryer in the kitchen because there was nowhere else it could go.

Much to R8's chagrin, mine is in the downstairs bathroom, and I'd love to have a proper laundry room, but I also haven't had that since I was a child. Having a large house is expensive.

R19

It's an apartment, so probably not.

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2021 5:23 AM

R16 Human beings develop weak bladders in their 40s.

They may have had perfectly strong and reliable bladders up until that time. But that strength and reliability ebbs away with the sands of time.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2021 5:30 AM

Gee, R27, I figured it was where you stashed the hooch.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2021 5:30 AM

It’s just very convenient to just roll out of bed and onto the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2021 5:36 AM

I installed a Turkish squat toilet hole under my bed and cut a hole in my mattress.

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2021 5:38 AM

I was going to do that but I was afraid cutting the mattress voids its warranty. I’m even afraid to rip off the tags. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2021 5:44 AM

Only the poor Brits in their 800 sq ft shacks have the washer in their kitchens. Damn, they have open water tanks in the attic where rats and roaches get into the house water supply. The photo below was from the waterhygineexperts.com

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2021 5:46 AM

To those saying that Europeans have their washing machines in the kitchen, I have to say that’s not true in my experience. I’ve lived in both France and Germany, and it is most common for the washing machine to be in the bathroom, unless the property is large enough to have a ddedicated laundry room/closet. I can’t remember ever seeing a washing machine in a kitchen in those countries.

Most UK homes have the washing machine in the kitchen, unless the home is large enough to have a utility room.

What’s the big objection to washing machines being housed in the kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2021 5:47 AM

OP pretends to cook and doesn’t want fish finger crumbs on his Fred Perry shirts.

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2021 5:50 AM

I hate washing machines in kitchens but only because of the noise. Washing machines don’t need to be enclosed in the part of the house where you’re living so it is a more sustainable approach to have them in a utility, or basement or lean-to space or plant room but that’s also only appropriate if you have the space. Another thread where people present singular solutions to complex problems and pretend like ‘taste’ is the appropriate deciding factor my god this website.

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2021 6:17 AM

Normal in the kitchen.

What's gross is people who treat a basement or "laundry room" like it's a laundry hamper,

Do your fuckin laundry you stupid cunt whore.

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2021 6:30 AM

Put it where you want, or where it fits.

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2021 6:36 AM

That’s what she said.

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2021 6:46 AM

The house I live in now was my grandmother's, and also my childhood home. When she bought it, in the early 50's, she made what became her bedroom smaller in order to enlarge the bathroom. A full-sized washer was installed in one corner of the bathroom, because she had no intention of going up and down 2 flights of stairs to wash clothes(you can just imagine how much laundry 6 people can generate). Smart lady! There was no dryer in the house, she hung clothes outdoors in good weather, and used indoor clotheslines in bad.

When my husband and I moved in, we re-designed her bedroom as a dressing room, and had full-sized washer and dryer stacked and installed in an alcove, stepped up so they'd be higher off the floor. Not having the washer in the bathroom anymore was a +.

I think it makes perfect sense to have your laundry facilities as close to hand as possible. Why do all that extra running around, or up and down, if you don't have to?

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2021 6:56 AM

NO, DICKHEAD @ R9. The apartment/building was DESIGNED this way. It's perfectly fine where it is, regardless of what your fellow DICKHEAD KWEEN OP has to say about it.

The "pasta draining" argument has nothing on this level of absolutely silly DL hauteur.

I do love it so.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2021 6:59 AM

Personally, I think a second-floor laundry room is IDEAL. It's where the bedrooms are, where 99.98% of dirty laundry ends up prior to washing, and where 99.97% is going after washing. Why haul laundry up & down stairs if you can avoid it.

One quirk I discovered a few years ago: in the City of Miami, it's literally ILLEGAL to hedge your bets & build a new house with TWO laundry rooms (or at least, closets with water & 240v) so you can use either one. Why? Too many people were pulling permits for a "second laundry room", then turning it into a kitchen for an illegal rental unit in single family neighborhoods, so the city passed a law limiting you to having exactly one laundry room.

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2021 6:59 AM

It was very weird for ma, a North American, on my first trip to England, to see laundry facilities in a kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2021 7:04 AM

Incidentally, I also had a battle with the Miami Building Department over a permit to install a 240v power outlet in my bedroom. I needed it for a 1,500-watt ham radio amplifier, but they were absolutely convinced I was going to use it for a stove and turn my bedroom into a rental unit. Yet another reason I'm glad I fled & now live in Broward County....

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2021 7:10 AM

My first house had the washer/dryer upstairs in the master bedroom, and it was so convenient. They were behind closet doors that matched the rest of the room, so they were hidden away.

by Anonymousreply 44May 5, 2021 7:15 AM

You aren't the boss of me, OP!

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2021 7:29 AM

Both are in the basement in my funny old house. There is a laundry chute - the clothes fall onto the laundry table across from the washer and dryer. The basement is accessible from the outside only, so I have to go out down the stairs out the back door or front door, then down the stairs, thru the gate and around the house to the basement entrance. It would be nice to have a dumbwaiter next to the chute to send the clean clothes back up as easily as they descend: will never happen. I tell myself it's exercise.

by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2021 7:33 AM

I bet OP spends a lot of time alone pondering these things.

by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2021 10:23 AM

Cross contaminants?

by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2021 10:31 AM

Upstairs is where the majority of items needing washing are. Linens, clothes, bathroom towels. Why haul them down, then up, from a basement if not necessary.

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2021 10:34 AM

^I was just going to McDonald’s Mrs C, but thanks anyway!

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2021 10:37 AM

Dryer is not green

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2021 10:43 AM

[quote] Upstairs is where the majority of items needing washing are. Linens, clothes, bathroom towels. Why haul them down, then up, from a basement if not necessary.

Because OP has decreed it! Do not question OP's authority. Simply pledge your fealty and obey.

by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2021 10:48 AM

[quote]I’ve lived in both France and Germany, and it is most common for the washing machine to be in the bathroom, unless the property is large enough to have a dedicated laundry room/closet. I can’t remember ever seeing a washing machine in a kitchen in those countries.

Same in Spain. And very rarely a dryer in most parts of Spain. Clothes are hung to dry, and if you don't like it's a chore often left to maids. Sometimes a washing machine will be found tucked away in a storage closet on a balcony or roof terrace.

But who cares so long as it has a reasonable place? On the American TV programs House Hunters and House Hunters International, buyers practically shit kittens if they see clothes washers or dryers in a kitchen. Maybe it's unusual yo their experience, but they act as shocked as if they had walked into a kitchen to find clove hoofed farm animals washing the dishes.

Kitchen, bathroom, closet, basement, utility room...any of these make sense. People have their preferences, but much depends on the space available and what was in place when they purchased the house or apartment.

by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2021 11:17 AM

I live in Bulgaria and we .......

by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2021 11:48 AM

Washers and dryers in the kitchen were actually very common in the US through mid-century. It kept down building costs and made sense for housewives who were already in the kitchen cooking and doing the dishes, so why not tend to the laundry in the same room?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 5, 2021 11:53 AM

Gain Cookies washed down with softener soda🥤

by Anonymousreply 56May 5, 2021 12:05 PM

In the burbs an upstairs laundry room is seen as a plus.

by Anonymousreply 57May 5, 2021 12:22 PM

I put it in the BEDROOM

by Anonymousreply 58May 5, 2021 12:35 PM

"I'm not shittin' you, Tommy. Timmy's parents have an upstairs laundry room! Upstairs I tell ya!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 5, 2021 12:46 PM

[quote] Personally, I think a second-floor laundry room is IDEAL.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. And then there is just the issue of getting the machines upstairs. I am in the nice little laundry/utility room or closet camp - downstairs.

by Anonymousreply 60May 5, 2021 1:43 PM

I had my washer and dryer installed on my rooftop deck. I also have a clothes line up there, so it's convenient.

by Anonymousreply 61May 5, 2021 1:48 PM

[quote]I had my washer and dryer installed on my rooftop deck.

Gurl, what?

by Anonymousreply 62May 5, 2021 2:34 PM

She’s fuckin with ya.

by Anonymousreply 63May 5, 2021 2:36 PM

The things that bother DLers never cease to be surprising.

by Anonymousreply 64May 5, 2021 2:43 PM

Having our laundry upstairs near the bedrooms and bathrooms makes sense to me. It’s where the dirty clothes, towels and sheets are and it’s where the clean clothes, towels and sheets end up.

by Anonymousreply 65May 5, 2021 2:49 PM

The house I own had GE Washer/Dryer on second floor between my bedrooms behind folding doors. Convenient for me.

by Anonymousreply 66May 5, 2021 2:52 PM

I hate seeing a washer and dryer in the garage, that just seems nasty.

by Anonymousreply 67May 5, 2021 3:02 PM

My laundry pair is behind louvered doors. -- adjacent to my kitchen.

My family's first house had the washing machine in the kitchen. No dryers in those days. All houses in the neighborhood had backyard clotheslines.

by Anonymousreply 68May 5, 2021 4:22 PM

We can have this thread with 65+ replies, but I can't get one person to watch The Laundry Guy?

by Anonymousreply 69May 5, 2021 4:28 PM

Where the FUCK do you live, R7?!

by Anonymousreply 70May 5, 2021 4:29 PM

pardon, r70 was incorrect, I apologize, R7, and am logging off to go outside now.

by Anonymousreply 71May 5, 2021 4:30 PM

OP = aspirational Frau with a decidedly American, suburban, middle class frame of reference. This is why we hate you.

by Anonymousreply 72May 5, 2021 5:01 PM

I don't think the laundry-in-the-kitchen set up is a common in Britain as some claim. Mine is in the bathroom (but don't tell OP that is upstairs!), my Mum's is in a built-in unit in her conservatory, my Dad's is in the utility room, two friends have theirs in a large cupboard in their respective hallways. They're both new builds, maybe that's the norm over here now?

by Anonymousreply 73May 5, 2021 5:19 PM

Sure, Jan. Oooh! We will follow your counsel to the “T”!!! No washer and dryer in the kitchen!!! Heavens to Betsy!!!

by Anonymousreply 74May 5, 2021 5:26 PM

[quote] I don't care what they do in Europe. Why are you even bringing Europe into this?

Some people aren't U.S.-centric losers.

by Anonymousreply 75May 5, 2021 11:24 PM

OP, you haven't explained sufficiently why you feel a washer/dryer in the kitchen is 'tacky to the max'.

by Anonymousreply 76May 5, 2021 11:27 PM

My sister lived in a house that had a nice laundry room in the basement but the bedrooms were on the second floor so it was a pain to schlep it up and down two flights of stairs. The first floor half bath had an oddly large linen closet that they used for a stackable washer and dryer. It made things a bit easier when she was chasing three kids under 5 years old. She could corral them in the family room while she made dinner and got a couple of loads of laundry done. They used the bigger machines in the basement for bath towels and bedding and larger loads.

by Anonymousreply 77May 5, 2021 11:36 PM

Also don't put your toilet in the attic.

by Anonymousreply 78May 5, 2021 11:41 PM

R73, I’ve seen a few washing machines in bathrooms in the UK, but mainly in modern new-build flats. I think the washing machine is placed in the bathroom or a closet in modern loft-style flats, in order to keep the noise away from the main living area. It’s a good compromise, because the size of the living space in new-builds is miserably small, so it makes sense to keep a big noisy appliance away from the combined living/dining/cooking space.

However, apart from very recent new-builds, I’ve only ever seen the washing machine in the kitchen or utility room. I actually would always prefer the washing machine to be on the same floor as the bedrooms, as it seems more practical.

by Anonymousreply 79May 6, 2021 12:02 AM

My place is an 1825 cottage, R79. I assume the previous owners moved the washing machine/tumble dryer into the bathroom, which would have been another bedroom originally. It's a good idea - need all the kitchen storage I can get!

by Anonymousreply 80May 6, 2021 12:09 AM

R79, are you telling me that in the UK, the don't still wash their clothes in huge tin tubs out next to the pig slop? I doubt that is true.

by Anonymousreply 81May 6, 2021 12:17 AM

“Pig slop”, r81? Do you mean American-style fast-food?

by Anonymousreply 82May 6, 2021 12:22 AM

Integrated washing machines and dryers are increasingly common in the UK, they also have a lot of soundproofing so aren't noisy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 6, 2021 12:32 AM

[quote]OP, you haven't explained sufficiently why you feel a washer/dryer in the kitchen is 'tacky to the max'.

There is nothing wrong with a w/d unit in a utility/laundry room or closet adjacent to the kitchen. My problem is with the units out in the open in the actual kitchen. And don't get me started on those all in one w/d units. They never dry correctly.

by Anonymousreply 84May 6, 2021 2:11 AM

Combined Washer dryers only seem hopeless if you have a concept like 'Laundry Day'.

Most people here in the UK wash smaller loads on a regular basis as the machine is conveniently placed.

Nothing is easier than placing a day's used towels in the machine and taking them out clean and dry a few hours later.

It's another cultural difference between the US and UK.

by Anonymousreply 85May 6, 2021 8:21 AM

[quote]It's another cultural difference between the US and UK.

That's certainly true, R85. In the U.S. TV sitcoms and commercials would have people believe that American women spend a great deal of time smelling and frowning over the stinky clothes of the men and boys in a house, then breathing in the fresh stink of scented laundry detergents and fabric softeners and laundry additives. In Europe, TV commercials are about saving time and clothes coming out clean -- feeling the softness and sticking clothes up one's nose like a bag of glue are rarely seen. It's less a love affair with tactile and olfactory senses and more about getting an unexciting chore out of the way quickly and efficiently. Home products and household processes are not glamorized; the point is that clothes come out clean.

If American TV series about home buying and renovation are any indication, the "Laundry Day" concept still has a lot of hold. Prospective buyers and renovators speak of wanting/needing large designated spaces to fold clothes, and large surfaces to accommodate this. Washing machines and dryers are large; there are washing machines with 6 cubic feet of capacity (170 liters) and adapting for higher efficiency the washing cycle times have been much reduced to around 30 minutes in most cases, making it easier to wash and dry large amounts of clothes in multiple loads in a single period of time.

European machines are typically much smaller in capacity and people tend to wash a load of towels one day, whites another, etc., washing a smaller load of clothes two, three, even more times a week.

Aside from laundry frequency habits, I will say that combined washers are a very different concept. The machine will be churning away (quietly) for hours, interruptions are not well accommodated (you can't easily toss something in late in the game), and the machines are rather delicate to my experience, requiring more service appointments than would be expected. And maybe it's my fault in selecting settings, but dryness is somewhat relative and the machines work best when like things are washed together -- all button-down shirts, or all jeans-weight trousers. I have a small clothes washer (not a combined machine) with a lid that opens to a small inner stainless cylinder which is unlatched and filled and the whole closed and set in motion. It was inexpensive, performs like a workhorse, uses little water and energy, and cleans very well, but I was wary of combined units which unpopular where I live.

by Anonymousreply 86May 6, 2021 9:06 AM

I wouldn’t care if I had to put my washer and dryer on the roof! Just as long as I didn’t have to go to a laundromat. I freaking HATE laundromats!

by Anonymousreply 87May 6, 2021 9:24 AM

R86 Combined washer dryers have become much more reliable and efficient in the past decade. In Europe manufacturers often give 5 - 10 year guarantees, so it'd bankrupt them if they hadn't.

The ability to add clothes after starting a cycle isn't really important if you do laundry almost every day, Samsung did try one out but it seemed pointless.

Wondering how long laundry will take is a bit like shouting at the microwave to hurry up in UK culture.

R87 Laundromats (Launderettes) are now quite rare in the UK, using one on a regular basis would involve a massive amount of inconvenience and travel here. Having a laundry in your apartment block is almost unheard of.

by Anonymousreply 88May 6, 2021 9:56 AM

Marcia Cross Contaminants

by Anonymousreply 89May 6, 2021 10:37 AM

Before I bought my house, I lived in an apartment with one of those washer/dryer all in one things. It was the absolute worst and the tenants complained so much that the landlord ripped them all out and put in one of those washer on the bottom, dryer on the top units. It wasn't an easy process to switchover, but the end result was much better.

by Anonymousreply 90May 6, 2021 11:12 AM

I spin dry my soaking dripping pasta 🍝 on high heat in my kitchen dryer!

by Anonymousreply 91May 6, 2021 11:37 AM

[quote] In the U.S. TV sitcoms and commercials would have people believe that American women spend a great deal of time smelling and frowning over the stinky clothes of the men and boys in a house.

That is the trend in American popular culture. Men and boys are a problem to be dealt with - toxic masculinity has become accepted as a cultural norm.

It is very much like how women were presented in the 50s and 60s - fragile flowers who struggled to think rationally and were ruled by their emotions. At least in the 50s, society had it right.

by Anonymousreply 92May 6, 2021 11:44 AM

OP sounds like an asshole. Look. So many renters may not have the option of placing their washer/dryer anywhere else. Anyone, whether it's in a condo or an apartment, who has the good fortune to have their own washer/dryer ought to put it anywhere they can. You prolly never wash clothes. You prolly stink.

by Anonymousreply 93May 6, 2021 11:49 AM

Someone who uses "prolly" has no room to call anyone else an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 94May 6, 2021 11:58 AM

When I get old and tired I'm going to use a fluff and fold service, which must include pick up and delivery.

by Anonymousreply 95May 6, 2021 12:20 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 96May 6, 2021 12:40 PM

Fuck your opinions OP. Elitist cuntrag. My washer/dryer set is upstairs in my bathroom. So I don’t have to climb up and down the stairs to do laundry. It’s convenient and I like it.

by Anonymousreply 97May 6, 2021 12:58 PM

[quote]Fuck your opinions OP. Elitist cuntrag. My washer/dryer set is upstairs in my bathroom. So I don’t have to climb up and down the stairs to do laundry. It’s convenient and I like it.

Maybe you should consider a diet and exercise program so that climbing up and down stairs isn't such a chore.

by Anonymousreply 98May 6, 2021 1:01 PM

My last rental house had the w/d in the formal dining room. It was an enclosed cupboard-type space and could only be accessed by moving the dining chairs to a side, but it was surprisingly convenient since it was centrally located and had a laundry chute. Obviously I never did laundry when having guests over.

by Anonymousreply 99May 6, 2021 1:07 PM

My next house will have a laundry room off the master bedroom. It is currently in the basement and my bedroom is on the second floor. I hurt my knee a few years ago and realized how stupid it is to have the washing machine so far away from the bedrooms. I really don’t see myself carrying full laundry baskets up and down two flights of steps when I am (hopefully) in my 80s.

by Anonymousreply 100May 6, 2021 1:08 PM

I have my washer on the terrace off my bedroom, it uses rainwater. I don't have a dryer, I use drying racks.

by Anonymousreply 101May 6, 2021 1:13 PM

Such an arrogant subject.

by Anonymousreply 102May 6, 2021 1:14 PM

There are plenty of apartments in New York City that have the washer/dryer in the kitchen due to limited space.

My flat in London (near Russell Square) was at the top of a walkup. It had a outdoor deck own which the landlady had installed a washer/dryer combo.

It's called limited space, OP.

My washer/dryer is on the second floor. Cannot tell you what a pleasure it is not to have to schlep laundry up and down stairs.

by Anonymousreply 103May 6, 2021 1:41 PM

Here in Florida they are usually placed next to the Florida room porch or veranda if you have an apartment or condo

by Anonymousreply 104May 6, 2021 1:46 PM

There is a compromise solution that permits you to use any room you see fit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105May 6, 2021 1:49 PM

I love my little condo I downsized into (small but works for me) but I *hate* the stackable washer/dryer being in the kitchen. Unfortunately, there's nowhere else for it to go.

by Anonymousreply 106May 6, 2021 1:50 PM

Plumbing dictates their location. In my building they are in different places based on the floor plan.

by Anonymousreply 107May 6, 2021 1:54 PM

[quote]On the American TV programs House Hunters and House Hunters International, buyers practically shit kittens if they see clothes washers or dryers in a kitchen.

I've been having a lot of dental work done and they always have some kind of house reno program on, and the other day I saw some show with a guy dressed like Kid Rock looking at a washer-dryer in the kitchen and saying, "Woah, that's not good" in a tone I'd expect to be reserved for finding out the house was built on top of an Indian burial ground.

by Anonymousreply 108May 6, 2021 1:55 PM

[quote]🍝

Since when has there been a spaghetti emoji and why does it look like a bottle of liquid soap?

by Anonymousreply 109May 6, 2021 1:57 PM

[quote]Don't put your washer/dryer in the kitchen

OP - Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 110May 6, 2021 1:57 PM

Meine Waschmaschine ist im Frauenzimmer. Nicht zu verwechseln mit Frauentoilette, Dummkopf

by Anonymousreply 111May 6, 2021 1:59 PM

My partner and I are renovating and we are fighting about this issue. He wants to move the washer and dryer from the basement up to the first floor. I'm concerned noise and vibrations during operation of the machines will be disruptive throughout the entire house. I'm also concerned about potential flooding, which would be catastrophic on the first floor. And why clutter up valuable living space with that crap? The drawbacks far outweigh the advantages.

by Anonymousreply 112May 6, 2021 2:05 PM

Even if people have a laundry room in the UK they generally buy exactly the same washing machine and dryer that would fit under the counter in the kitchen.

Top loading agitator washing machines are not popular here, they remind older people of being poor and younger people don't see the point to them.

They aren't as efficient or effective as modern front loading appliances and don't fit with our usage pattern.

by Anonymousreply 113May 6, 2021 2:25 PM

Newly constructed or renovated houses almost always have a laundry room on the second floor by the bedrooms as that makes the most sense from a workflow perspective.

by Anonymousreply 114May 6, 2021 2:29 PM

I meant to add this. R113

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115May 6, 2021 2:34 PM

OP is hoity toity.

by Anonymousreply 116May 6, 2021 2:39 PM

Like OP, I am sickened and appalled at the thought of a washer/dryer in the kitchen. I won't sleep a wink tonight, just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 117May 6, 2021 2:47 PM

The house I grew up in (mid-century; SF Bay Area) had the w/d in the garage (with a sink.) The house I live in now (1980s townhouse; SoCal) has the w/d in the garage (no sink). The house I lived in in the '80s ('60s townhouse, VA) had the w/d in the basement (sink.) My parents' house (after I was gone; NorCal; '70s build) had the w/d in a laundry room, which also housed the water heater and a closet (no sink.) Of all of those, I think the laundry room was the best, but I would always want a sink if possible.

by Anonymousreply 118May 6, 2021 2:55 PM

R113, I don't think you can even buy top-loaders in the U.K. or Europe in mainstream shops. I've never seen one (other than in U.S. TV shows).

by Anonymousreply 119May 6, 2021 3:02 PM

If you can’t do something right, DON’T do it at all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 6, 2021 3:06 PM

[QUOTE] R119 I don't think you can even buy top-loaders in the U.K. or Europe in mainstream shops. I've never seen one (other than in U.S. TV shows).

I remember that Currys had them on display in the 1980's but with a large water consumption and slow spin speed (@ 700rpm v 1600rpm front loader) they don't really seem to make much sense here?

As you say a bit specialist now.

by Anonymousreply 121May 6, 2021 3:48 PM

I have mine in an alcove off the kitchen and I love it like that. It makes it very easy to do laundry while cooking.

by Anonymousreply 122May 6, 2021 4:44 PM

[quote]Plenty of people in europe do….

Europeans are tacky and do not wash their cocks properly.

by Anonymousreply 123May 6, 2021 5:03 PM

OP is quite the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 124May 6, 2021 5:06 PM

Single-tub combo units that work well in Britain don't work well AT ALL in the southern US. They rely upon tap water being 10-20F colder than the interior of the house. In Britain, that works because the ground (where water pipes run) is usually 60-65F year-round. In Florida, the ground rarely gets colder than 70-75F.

60-65F water is barely cold enough to condense 75F water, so it can sort of get your clothes to be slightly damp-dry (a 65F dew point at 75F is around 70% relative humidity). A 70-72F dew point won't do SHIT to dry 75F water, because it's around 95% relative humidity). In Florida, one of those units "dries" your clothes mostly by humidifying the rest of your house.

There ARE better ones that use a dehumidifier instead of cold tap water (50F dew point, vs 60-72F), but they cost 2-3x as much (LG's dryer-only based on the tech costs ~$2,000 in the US).

The main advantage of the condenser-type units is that they don't need an air vent, just a water supply & drain, so you can put them places where direct outdoor venting is impractical or impossible (like an existing skyscraper that lacks venting provisions). But overall, they SUCK compared to heated drying, and simply CAN'T get your clothes "bone dry" unless you live in a cold desert (like Antarctica) or a furnace is running & the indoor humidity is 20-25%.

by Anonymousreply 125May 6, 2021 5:07 PM

There are also portable washers that can be hooked up to your kitchen sink or bathtub. Good for cabins or cottages.

by Anonymousreply 126May 6, 2021 5:12 PM

Who has just one laundry set? I keep my two sets of Speed Queens where they belong, in the servant quarters.

by Anonymousreply 127May 6, 2021 5:16 PM

I live in a NYC apartment and have two washers and two dryers in the laundry room because the cleaning lady only comes once a week. This way she can get 4 loads done while she’s cleaning the rest of the apartment. The laundry room provides a lot of storage space.

by Anonymousreply 128May 6, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote]There are also portable washers that can be hooked up to your kitchen sink or bathtub. Good for cabins or cottages.

When I lived in an apartment in Rome in 1980, there were no laundry facilities of any kind -- you had to take your laundry to a cleaners for fluff-and-fold service. But I had a tiny tabletop washer that sort of worked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129May 6, 2021 6:25 PM

The house I grew up in had laundry in the basement. There was a chute in a second floor closet to drop soiled laundry in. The opening was in the basement. We never used the chute for its intended purpose. Mom stored old (clean) towels there.

My first house had laundry in the garage, very common in the LA suburbs. The dryer did not vent outside, so it got hot in there.

My second house had a laundry “closet” off the kitchen. Technically it was the mud room. But, LA, never any mud.

My third and current house has a laundry room on the second floor off the hallway. All four bedrooms are on the second floor and it is very convenient. I bought a new washer and dryer last year and they are whisper quiet. I frequently put a load of laundry in the dryer and turn it on before I go to sleep. I never hear a thing.

I have rented houses in the following countries. All of them had laundry in the kitchen. The one In BsAs had a washer/dryer combo! Moscow, Stockholm, Tallinn, Verona, Buenos Aires, and Southampton.

by Anonymousreply 130May 6, 2021 6:43 PM

Nobody cares.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131May 6, 2021 8:01 PM

I even seen some in the garage or out in back on the patio.....

by Anonymousreply 132May 6, 2021 8:57 PM

New Yorkers are so thrilled to have w/d they would put it anywhere. I would have considered giving up my stove (which I never used) and replacing it with a w/d.

by Anonymousreply 133May 6, 2021 9:00 PM

Two washers and dryers would be okay if you have a large family, but everything else would be too much. My Grandma still used the washer/dryer set she won on Let's Make A Deal in 1972 until she died in 2011 and they were in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 134May 6, 2021 11:21 PM

r134, With that kind of provenance, those appliances are worth serious coin.

by Anonymousreply 135May 7, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote] I don't care what they do in Europe. Why are you even bringing Europe into this?

Americans are such hogs.

by Anonymousreply 136May 7, 2021 12:11 AM

Why ever would this be considered tacky, OP? After all, none of your guests is going to see your kitchen, and ...

... oh, wait ...

Everyone, I think OP is a POOR!

by Anonymousreply 137May 7, 2021 12:34 AM

I don't know why you whores are coming for me. Clearly there are lot of people on here who are like school on Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 138May 7, 2021 1:45 AM

R138 You wouldn't know class if it crawled into your Wendyburger, you fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 139May 7, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote] I think OP is a POOR!

He is not A poor, he is THE POOR!

by Anonymousreply 140May 7, 2021 3:58 PM

I'd love a set-up like the OP's picture. If that's in bad taste, I guess I have it. I'm tired of shlepping the laundry from the basement to the second floor. I suppose I should appreciate walking two staircases but I don't.

by Anonymousreply 141May 7, 2021 4:31 PM

No, bitch, don't put your kitchen in my washer/dryer room!

by Anonymousreply 142May 8, 2021 5:19 AM

I assume most who do not mention their primary quarters on the fourth floor are being coquettish, for if we do not have four floors who are we? Animals? Especially in New York.

by Anonymousreply 143May 8, 2021 5:46 AM

My washing machine is in one of the bathrooms, but everything have matching crochet covers to keep it classy. I hope Miss OP approves

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 8, 2021 6:38 AM

Has, not have, R144. My nerves...

by Anonymousreply 145May 8, 2021 6:43 AM

Can I put my oven in the laundry room, OP?

by Anonymousreply 146May 8, 2021 7:00 AM

Which floor does the oven reside, R146? The help quarters on the first floor or somewhere more “legitimate”? It’s impossible to advise without this information:

by Anonymousreply 147May 8, 2021 7:05 AM

R51, so true. Oz and New Zealand homes have a seperate laundry room or a designated place in the garage, with appropriate plumbing and sink. No one needs a dryer, that's what the suns for.

by Anonymousreply 148May 8, 2021 7:22 AM

Our laundry closet is directly across from the bedroom. Convenient as all hell.

by Anonymousreply 149May 8, 2021 7:39 AM

NZ is pretty damp--I would think you'd want a dryer or is it common to have a "drying room", a pre WWII feature of apartment houses or larger homes in the US.

by Anonymousreply 150May 8, 2021 12:49 PM

r148, without a dryer, you'd be unable to have truly dry clothes during the summer in Florida. It rains every few hours, and is 99% humidity the rest of the time.

After Hurricane Wilma, my power was out for 3-1/2 WEEKS. My generator was big enough for the washer, but not the dryer. After week 2, I started going to a laundromat to use the dryers there because I couldn't stand wearing palpably-damp clothes that just never fully dried on their own.

by Anonymousreply 151May 8, 2021 2:04 PM

Does one not send it out to a convent near Paris?

by Anonymousreply 152May 8, 2021 2:49 PM

The idea of a separate laundry room originates in the UK and was named 'The Scullery' (it was also used for washing dishes).

With modern machines laundry rooms are not the greatest use of space (unless they have lots of storage), I regard them as useful as a 'Gift Wrapping Room'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153May 8, 2021 5:22 PM

Imagine caring about this.

by Anonymousreply 154May 8, 2021 9:14 PM

I’ve always wanted an annoyingly vintage laundry room like this, with a wall phone and maybe a sewing station.

You could shut the door and pretend you were part of the Brady Bunch. (Also a good place to hide vodka.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 9, 2021 1:50 AM

Are you new to DL, R154? This is peak DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 156May 9, 2021 9:05 AM

Meet the modern scullery......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 9, 2021 9:24 AM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158May 9, 2021 9:29 AM

I love it, R155. Maybe not all the faux wood, but otherwise it's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 159May 9, 2021 9:30 AM

Sculleries are big in Greenwich, CT apparently. Who knew?

"GREENWICH, Conn.

IT was the first day of April, overcast and chilly, and Christopher Peacock, the English kitchen designer, was giving a tour of the town that’s been so good to him.

His dark blue Audi slid easily past the white clapboard Georgian colonials on Round Hill Road, past the Norman stone “chateaus” and shingle-style “town homes,” past the castles of the hedge-fund set, the estates worth $6 million, $10 million and $20 million, many of which, said Mr. Peacock, boasted one of his now iconic white kitchens near their collections of edgy — and most likely British — contemporary art.

At a stone Georgian number — a kind of bespoke “spec” house in the Baldwin Farms area — the painters were priming Mr. Peacock’s bestseller, which he calls his Scullery kitchen, inspired by a house he saw years ago in London. It was part of the developer’s check list of brands and amenities — including nine Waterworks bathrooms, Ann Sacks tiles upstairs and down and a wine cellar with space for 4,500 bottles — chosen to lure buyers to the $5.9 million house."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160May 9, 2021 9:31 AM

Status quo in Romania. One of the reasons I chose this apartment was that there is a separate room for the washing machine. There are such weird ideas here about this issue. First, detergent is not enough...you need liquid disinfectant. Then, you need a PhD to figure out the many options on the machine. Dryers are frowned upon as "wasteful" and "nasty". You have these metal things you put everything on to dry. What's true is that kitchen furniture is mostly imported from Denmark or Germany and the washing machine is incorporated and covered now, unlike in older homes. However, I bought a dryer. I am NOT hanging anything on a huge metal thing and yes, I am being the proverbial "ugly American" and being bad to the environment.

by Anonymousreply 161May 9, 2021 9:36 AM

Who knew?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162May 9, 2021 3:54 PM

I am not mad at that laundry room in R155. If I had the space, I would totally set up a room like that. I washer, dryer, sink, and room to sort clothes and maybe space for a drying rack.

by Anonymousreply 163May 10, 2021 2:05 AM

Op is obviously from Flyoverstan

by Anonymousreply 164May 10, 2021 2:10 AM

R151: That's because an electric dryer requires roughly 4.5kW. You can get a 12kW generator on of all places wally world. for about $1000.

If I end up building a place I plan to put in a solar array an a a storage array. That backed up by a natural gas fired 15kW generator.

by Anonymousreply 165May 13, 2021 1:55 AM

In OP's picture, what is that huge fan doing on the kitchen ceiling?

by Anonymousreply 166May 13, 2021 3:21 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 167May 13, 2021 3:29 AM

R166, it’s a fandolier.

by Anonymousreply 168May 13, 2021 3:33 AM

r165, the problem with a 12kW generator is, it needs around 20-30 gallons of gas *per day* to keep it running. Post-hurricane, that's a SERIOUS logistics problem... it's hard enough to feed a 6kW generator 10-12 gallons/day without spending 4-6h/day in a line to buy gas. And trust me... 21-30 days at $25-35/day gets expensive REALLY FAST.

by Anonymousreply 169May 14, 2021 7:26 AM

Thanks, R168. I've never seen such a thing. I'm used to ceiling fans but this is so bulky and intrusive!

by Anonymousreply 170May 14, 2021 12:09 PM

[quote]The Return of the Scullery

And, presumably, scullions.

by Anonymousreply 171May 14, 2021 12:39 PM

Don't get it twisted!

by Anonymousreply 172May 15, 2021 6:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!