Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How the right wing uses language as a weapon

[quote] Right-wing operatives have recently mounted a campaign against the idea and practice of "wokeness." The word has the pretense of a neutral reference, but is increasingly used to debase and belittle the underlying meaning of anti-racism and anti-bigotry. Similar rhetorical tactics have a long history in conservatism, as they allow the GOP to obscure policy objectives, while simultaneously evoking negative and positive emotions. Overall, the GOP benefits from imprecise language soaked with connotation. Unfortunately, journalists and some liberals keep falling for it.

[quote] In the case of "woke" and "wokeness," conservatives are undermining a positive idea with derisive figurative language. Consider a converse example, in which the Republicans advanced an ugly principle through positive framing: waterboarding. It was described as "enhanced interrogation" by conservatives, and that was repeated by the press corps. However, if you actually describe what's involved in waterboarding—making a person temporarily experience drowning—Americans respond with repulsion. Conservatives knew this, so they chose to be evasive. "Enhanced interrogation" is more palatable than both "torture" and "simulated drowning."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2021 7:15 AM

Let's be honest. It didn't take much. Both sides are fucking insane!

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2021 3:30 AM

The Daily Mail is proof of this. Woke features on the front page right now. Thanks to Dan Wootten.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2021 3:32 AM

Woke is a term that woke people call themselves. Everyone already know what woke refers to. Ordinary people already ridicule woke people without any encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2021 3:35 AM

Put r3 on ignore and read her bullshit and then compare it to mine. R3 is a fucking DL stereotype now of "everyone is a Russian troll if they don't agree with meeeee!" Grease fire and cancer to you r3. And when you get the news of your soon to be cancer then think of me, cunt LOSER! I'll be laughing AT you.

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2021 3:38 AM

For a bit of fun because the thread went sideways type the following: Daily Mail woke. Then type another rightwing tabloid and the word woke. It's eye opening. There are thousands of Woke articles used by rightwing tabloids.

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2021 3:49 AM

Oh my God, I had no idea anyone did this!

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2021 3:53 AM

Where's 3 and 6? Odd.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2021 4:06 AM

A few minutes ago I was reading an article about the movie Captain Marvel 2. In the article, there is this:

[quote]The first Captain Marvel movie starring Brie Larson was not well received by a lot of MCU fans as many thought it to be insulting with its politically correct woke message, which Marvel's Phase 4 seems to be all about.

Woke is denigrated everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2021 4:09 AM

Of course, it gets used to demean entertainment promoting Liberal values and diversity. Woke, virtue signaling, PC Culture, etc. And then the posters clutch their pearls because they are being accused (ACCUSED!) for being right wing trolls. The horror!

The only thing they will accomplish is the comeback of common sense skills where people notice the context the words are being used. The conservatives fight a losing battle.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2021 4:36 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2021 4:38 AM

It's not just conservatives who are tired of being lectured by insufferable, Woke idiots.

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2021 4:42 AM

Let's be real here: all this "anti-woke" buzz is just bourgeoisie messaging to the masses. Because the actual "woke" = the people (us) becoming aware of what "The State" does to us, and what the people can do about it. I would estimate that the events of 2020 woke a lot of folks up. It also scared the shit out of the elite. Seeing so many people in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2021 5:55 AM

I consider "woke" to mean white people becoming aware of the untaught history of this country, which was founded by Anglo-Saxon Protestants who believed that they were superior to all other peoples of the planet. Thus the elimination of the native population was taught as the "taming" of the continent instead of properly labeling that elimination as genocide and theft. The importation of slaves was taught as "the economic miracle of clearing a wilderness and making it habitable and profitable" instead of the disgrace of treating a race of people as property and free labor, and excusing it on the basis that they were less than people, equivalent to animals. (This concept was also enshrined in the very language of our constitution). "Woke" also applies to white people who are only, reluctantly to be sure, becoming aware that many institutions, including the judicial system, are in the business of showing favoritism to white people and throwing obstacles in the way of non-white people, including, but not limited to encouraging the police to use violent tactics when confronting non-white people, but encouraging them to treat white criminals gently.

Exhibit A: non-white people were met with water cannons, rubber bullets, shields, billy clubs, and armored vehicles in nearly every legitimate protest last summer, while an ATTACK on our seat of government by white people was met with kid gloves, and in some instances by police opening the doors of the building to let them in.

White people who proudly proclaim that they are not "woke" are acknowledging that they prefer never to confront the unequal treatment of non-white people and that they will go to great lengths to make sure that they are never confronted with images or historical documents that challenge their views.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2021 6:25 AM

I don't even think that many people overall subscribe to "wokeness" - even liberals, progressive, Democrats.

Is the problem that powerful gatekeepers are "woke." Or is it that there's a big swath of people who maybe subscribe to one "woke" principle and therefore are hesitant to go against others who are "woke" in other ways, thus making it seem like there's a big population of broadly woke people? I just never see the correlation between what I read about and see on the news and "on the ground" levels of wokeness.

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2021 6:32 AM

If I'm not mistaken, OP's cover boy was also the runner-up in a sow calling contest at a county fair.

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2021 6:37 AM

r16, I would STRONGLY disagree with your hypothesis. Here's the Oxford dictionary's definition of "woke" According to the Oxford English Dictionary "woke" is defined as: "Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice.

I would say that that second definition describes nearly every single liberal progressive Democrat - certainly all the ones that I know. That doesn't mean that those people define themselves using the work "woke" which is borrowed from black people. But they don't need to use the term for themselves to still fit the definition. And in fact, some black people might object to white people using the word to describe themselves. What I'm sure they hope for is that ever greater numbers of white people become "alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice".

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2021 6:50 AM

Read DL for very long and you can trace the sudden onslaught of buzzwords demeaning someone or something on the left back to conservatives. You see it constantly, thread after thread. Most of the hateful political bullshit posted here is straight from conservative groups.

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2021 6:58 AM

[quote]The word has the pretense of a neutral reference, but is increasingly used to debase and belittle the underlying meaning of anti-racism and anti-bigotry.

The left did this to themselves with their shitty marketing intelligence. They have none. I'm surprised they didn't go with "Destroy the Police". It's almost as bad as "Defund the Police". The left has a fucking messaging problem. It's like they are fucking idiots when it comes to this. The message makers have lost their minds. "Woke" sounds like something an illiterate imbecile would call himself. "Woke" is not an adjective. You'd think with all the creative minds that make up the left, they could figure out something as simple as catchy, meaningful phrases and slogans.

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2021 7:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!