Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Uma Thurman an A-Lister?

A friend and I rewatched Kill Bill. He said Uma was between A-list and B-list, as in she just barely missed being A-list. I think she was A-list but only due to her association with Tarantino who was the hottest shit in Hollywood for a while. But if we’re talking about today, she doesn’t compare favorably to her A-list contemporaries like Renee Zellweger, Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, and Julia Roberts.

In her heydays when she was considered an exotic blonde, but prematurely aged seemingly overnight. She was a bankable actress only in a certain genre and playing cool, blasé characters, specifically in Tarantino movies. Outside of that, her appeal was rather limited. As for beauty, she was pretty when younger but started to take on a masculine look, sort of like Brooke Shield, in her early 30s and of course that much talked about, alleged eye lift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2021 11:15 PM

A list. Back then

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2021 2:05 AM

For sure A list. She was the lead in Pulp Fiction.

Perhaps THE 90s film of all 90s film.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2021 2:05 AM

At one time, yes. And I'm sure if she showed up to anything today, she'd be considered A List. I just don't think she's A+ List, or whatever it is.

What I want to know, is that with as attractive as she was (and many here will argue that she wasn't and isn't), why did she choose that skank Ethan Hawke as a partner?

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2021 2:07 AM

Uma Thurman was "A-List" enough to get into River House, that alone puts her streets above ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2021 2:15 AM

No. She was never A List. She never connected with the public to the degree that there were movies that could be called "Uma Thurman vehicles." She did well in the 1990s, though - better than most of her contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2021 2:18 AM

The only star of a Tarantino movie is Tarantino.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2021 2:19 AM

She was never A-list, but she was an “It” girl in the mid 90s.

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2021 2:38 AM

She tried to enter global big money as Ellen Barkin and Salma Hayek achieved but choose poorly in sleazeball Arpad Busson. For years she hung a lot with the super rich Eurotrash jet set and I know this from my friends in that circle who are all druggies, so I think she was a druggy and by nature a chic-trash person.

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2021 2:40 AM

Don’t forget how she got her start.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2021 2:42 AM

I read recent interviews where she seemingly bashed Tarantino. But without him, she wouldn’t have had even half the career that she had in the 90s and early 00’s.

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2021 3:02 AM

Does it matter?

Like her, don't like her, what do you care what list she was on back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2021 3:03 AM

R11 because this is DL and it’s something that some of us like to discuss.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2021 3:05 AM

A list stars can sell big budget blockbusters on their own name alone. She was never A List. Always a cult darling/ensemble cast member.

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2021 3:07 AM

I loved Uma's 1990 film, Henry & June.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2021 3:07 AM

R11 is a C-list contrarian.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2021 3:07 AM

She charged 12 million dollars for Kill Bill and 12 million dollars for The Producers. Not even Meryl gets that much money per movie. And no actress who isn't A-list has ever gotten that much money for a movie.

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2021 3:09 AM

R13 True, I think box office draw is one thing that get overlooked in what constitutes an A-lister. J Lo is considered by some as A-list but she’s more of a publicity created A-lister.

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2021 3:10 AM

R12 I love discussing Actresses on DL, their movies, their personal lives, etc

But What list they were on?

Even Hollywood powerbrokers can never agree on such things.

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2021 3:10 AM

She seems to have failed over and over. When Bravo tried scripted tv she had a guest arc on something looking like a man and I knew she was real D list.

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2021 3:14 AM

A-list is also sometimes defined as being able to get a movie greenlit or made just by being attached. I think Uma was more like B+ list.

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2021 3:32 AM

I think she was a wet-dream of directors.

by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2021 3:36 AM

A-list to me is like a vibe, an understanding and acknowledgment of lasting cultural importance. She's A-list, and yes, it's thanks to Tarantino.

by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2021 3:42 AM

Certainly very famous but didn't quite make it to the A-List crowd. Personally, I don't think she's even that pretty. Rather odd or 'unique' looking.

by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2021 3:46 AM

I’ve always loved Uma. She is incredibly and inherently likable.

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2021 3:49 AM

Lol R20 that’s what my friend said, B+ list. He also said smoking did in her looks.

Her career is inextricably linked with Tarantino’s movies. I also agree that Uma was the It Girl in the 90s during a brief time when It Girls possessed qualities such as quirkiness or something besides being pretty with nice body. Winona Ryder exemplified that as well.

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2021 3:50 AM

I just realized how much Sophie Turner reminds me of a young Uma

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2021 3:50 AM

Kill Bill will always make her iconic.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2021 3:51 AM

She was when I introduced her to Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2021 3:54 AM

I pity her.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2021 3:58 AM

Critical & Pop Culture A-list, but B-list movie star, as she was never a box office draw. No one ever went to see the new Uma Thurman movie.

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2021 4:02 AM

I heard she was in some obscure underrated film named Gattaca. Nobody has seen it.

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2021 4:07 AM

R31 Are going to keep on with this shit?

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2021 4:12 AM

*YOU

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2021 4:12 AM

R30 I think you hit it on the head. That’s why I thought she was A-list, I think you put it well. It’s totally due to cultural remembrance and relevance in the 90s. Pulp Fiction was huge and she was the female star, if you will, in that movie even though she was only in a memorable segment and more of a supporting actress. But I remember indie boys and girls loving Uma’s character and by extension thought she was cool shit.

But that didn’t translate into ability to sustain interest and carry a movie later on in her career outside of Tarantino. I mean, who rushed to see My Super Ex Girlfriend in the theaters?

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2021 4:16 AM

Both Kill Bill movies were hits.

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2021 4:18 AM

R35 yeah but throw Claire Danes in that role and box office would have been the same

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2021 4:19 AM

Uma Karuna Thurman (born April 29, 1970), 51, born in Boston.

Her father, Robert Thurman, is a professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies and an author, who lived as an ordained Buddhist monk for three years. Her mother, Nena von Schlebrügge, a high-fashion model, was born in Mexico City to a German nobleman and a Swedish model; Nena was discovered in Stockholm, and moved to New York City at the age of 17 to join the Ford Modeling Agency.

In June 2018, it was reported that Thurman is getting help from the former Swedish Minister for Justice, Thomas Bodström, to gain Swedish citizenship. Thurman has ancestry from Skåne, Sweden, and wants to move there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2021 4:20 AM

R34 My Super Ex Girlfriend was rancid... and no mention here of her and Meryl in Prime yet? She’s very one-note, mainstream-indie noir is all she is good in.

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2021 4:21 AM

R36 I think not. Uma carried both pics on her back and marvelously so. Not just any actress could have brought such depth, beauty, talent, and sporadic comedy to that role.

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2021 4:21 AM

Between this and the Gattaca thread I think we’re going to unleash a Uma Thurman troll upon us indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2021 4:23 AM

Sheboygan Conservatory of Hyperbolic Film Fandom.

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2021 4:26 AM

R40 Don’t give me ideas. I also found her - and Meryl, of course - splendid in Prime, which is, in my opinion, underrated as well.

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2021 4:28 AM

She was very much A-list, OP, you blithering cunt.

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2021 4:39 AM

She sucks.

We're supposed to pretend that the bird woman is attractive. Is this some Jewish hollywood jews support jews thing? I have no idea we only have like five or ten Jewish people here in Canada so I don't get how that works.

Is she supposed to appeal to the pedophile adjacent straight guys?

I do not get it.

by Anonymousreply 44May 5, 2021 7:07 AM

B+ list roles, A+ name recognition.

I think she’s ‘jolie laide’, a distinct look that’s more compelling than some cookie-cutter pretty like an Amber Heard.

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2021 1:13 PM

Young Uma was indeed not what breathtakingly beautiful like a young Angelina Jolie. Her facial features are unique but not exceptionally beautiful. Her most unique features are her wide-set, somewhat buggy eyes. I think Uma fit in with peak ‘90s It Girl aesthetics which, coupled with her family background and Tarantino association, made her famous beyond her actual draw as an actress.

Linked photos are typical of peak Uma/ It Girls look in the ‘90s. She and another It Girl, Carolyn Bissette Kennedy, rocked the same vibe. Lanky, skinny blonde, minimalist makeup/ hair and clothing, cool and sophisticated vibe as opposed to sex siren vibe. Then 2000’s rolled around and tastes changed, all of a sudden the It Girls became overtly more femme fatale and sexualized like Jolie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2021 2:06 PM

She and her brother looked like twins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2021 2:13 PM

I guess there’s an A+ list which is being the one to put butts in seats for a movie. Uma was never that.

by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2021 2:22 PM

I dated a guy who was really into her. I think I tried to say she wasn't that pretty and could tell he thought she was. I feel avenged now.

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2021 3:13 PM

Blonde cocksucker hits the big time with very little talent or charisma. More at 11.

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2021 10:14 PM

She was seen as sufficiently A List to be a headline name on Batman Forever, no matter how shit that turned out.

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2021 10:16 PM

Some of you think you’re PR Mavens but you’d never make it as a producer or head of a studio

by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2021 10:19 PM

Didn't you fuck your career with that Gene Hackman/Barbra Streisand movie directed by your husband, Sue?

by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2021 10:40 PM

R53 eat my slit & shit, then die, you dirty fucking cunt!

by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2021 11:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!