Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tell me about your dog.

I’ve been incredibly sick lately and spending quite a bit of time at home with my dog.

His name is Buddy. Buddy is a six and a half year old flat coated retriever. My first year teaching, my “work mom”‘s dog had a litter of puppies. I went to visit them all the time and played with the puppies. My husband and I (though we weren’t married at the time) even house sat one weekend and had a great time playing with all of the pups.

I wanted a dog my whole life. We were living in an apartment building at the time and I had brought up adopting an older dog at one point. I thought an older dog would be good since it couldn’t go outside whenever it wanted.

I was having a tough week at work about a week after the puppies went home. Work mom shows up at the apartment with one of the pups. I thought she was just visiting, but mentioned that one of the families fell through so she and my boyfriend conspired to get me the puppy.

They’d gone earlier in the week and purchased everything we needed, it was all in the back of her car. Husband even had the pet added to the lease without me knowing.

I named him Buddy. It’s not original, but I knew he would be my buddy. I’m so happy to have him and would love to hear about everyone else’s pets!

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2021 10:53 PM

What a sweet story, your husband is a lovely man for getting you the puppy you always wanted.

I have had several pets over the years, but my current dog is a German Shepard named Jessi. She currently stinks like wet dog because she decided to go for a swim during pool maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2021 1:35 AM

He is a sweet heart, R1. I feel bad now because at the time I really wanted a rescue dog. But he’s my buddy now and I love him very much.

I hope you’re able to get Jessi smelling better soon!

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2021 1:48 AM

R1 You have a great husband. I have a 9 year old rescued Greyhound. He has been great. I take him to my office (I am the owner of the business) everyday. They are very quiet and don't bark at all. He has been a godsend to me.

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2021 2:16 AM

I hope you're feeling better, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2021 2:48 AM

I'd never had a dog, just cats growing up. When we finally had a house and yard we got a spaniel mix puppy. She was amazing, adding so much to our lives and relationship. Enjoy Buddy and take care of each other!

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2021 2:57 AM

You were not "incredibly" sick, OP.

Being near death is no excuse for loose modifiers.

Nice dog.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2021 3:02 AM

My dog is a found maltipoo named Smoke (I called him that because he looked like a.little puff of smoke coming down the stairs). For the life of me, I will never understand why his owners ever abandoned him (he was found wandering arou d with a leash still attached to his collar, but no chip or ID tag). He was completely housetrained, only barks when he's excited to go out and is friendly to every dog and person he meets. Right now he is sitting pressed up against the back of my neck on our "coral throne". He is a good dog.

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2021 3:19 AM

I hope you're feeling better, Ernst. I just spent the day with my older brother and his dog, and have to face the idea that his dog just doesn't like me. She's a Chihuahua-Pit bull mix, and I've discovered that I flinch in her presence, which is a brand new reaction for me. I was mortified that he put her in her crate after she bit me. You and your husband sound lovely.

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2021 9:24 PM

R7 - how do you know he was abandoned if he had a leash still on? Sounds like the dog ran away and the owners couldn't find the dog.

The dog didn't put the leash on himself.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2021 9:29 PM

Well, the owners made no effort to find him, so theres that.

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2021 9:52 PM

I’m not sharing my favorite because that’s a 21 year-old heartbreak and you assholes haven’t earned that.

I’ll offer you my last baby. A shelter offered me an old cocker spaniel who had been ditched on a highway. She had Cuddly-Duddly fur and her toes reeked of corn chips. They promised me she was nine years old - I didn’t want a young dog - but we had to wait until she weaned puppies (I don’t think she was that old).

At home, she tried to convince us that she didn’t eat dog food and had my dad - who had dementia - feeding her whenever she wanted. I was still in my blue buffalo yuppie period and I tried to get her to her proper weight.

She feared the siamese and bullied the tom cat. My funniest memory was of her trying to chase a pregnant stray cat across the yard; she was waddling. The cat was waddling. The cat would stop and look back panting. She’d stop and pant - catching her breath. Then they’d start the chase over again like it was their job.

I was moving and a family friend started baby talking to her. She was in love. The friend took her in, got her down to a healthy weight, and she lived another four years. She was 18 by shelter estimates. I’m pretty sure they lied.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2021 10:21 PM

I’m glad you have a good one, R3! I’m sure some dogs do well in that environment. Buddy would not be happy with a bunch of people around.

Thank you, R4. I’m getting back to normal. I’ve struggled more with my blood sugar in the past year than I did for the decade before.

Thank you, R5. I spend a lot of time talking to him and taking care of him. He makes being “home alone” not totally suck.

R7, crazy that happened! Sounds like a good dog.

R8, I’m getting there. It’s been a battle with my blood sugar the past few months. I’m not sure what’s up. The endocrinologist says everything looks normal.

That’s a cute story, R11. I think sometimes people just say things that sound correct but they don’t actually know. If she did live that long though that is great.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their stories so far. They’re fun to read.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2021 10:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!