Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movies with Ambiguous Endings

I watched Ammonite the other day (OK movie, but not great) and Lourdes (on the recommendation of a Datalounger on the French movie thread), and I was disappointed in their ambiguous endings. I mean, not every movie has to end with a happily ever after or a hand coming out of the dirt (remember "Carrie"?), but it would have been nice to have some kind of resolution happen at the end of the two movies above.

What movies have you seen with ambiguous endings, where you basically have to come up with the way you think it would have/should have ended? Endings that simply left you hanging? Were you annoyed? Did you make a decision about how the movie should have ended, or did you prefer to leave it ambiguous?

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2021 5:04 PM

Did they live or die at the end of Thelma and Louise?

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 11:15 PM

Inception is an example of a movie whose meaning and entertainment value is dramatically increased by the ambiguity of the ending.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 11:16 PM

The original Black Christmas has a great one where the heroine has survived her ordeal, but killed her boyfriend who she believed was the killer. It's implied that she was wrong and the real killer might still be hiding in the attic, waiting to finish her off. Really chilling.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 11:16 PM

R3, I disliked that film for never revealing what the hell was going on. And the character played by Margot Kidder was all over the map.

The ending of The Birds got a big "huh?" from me when I first saw it, but I prefer it now to what they had planned.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 11:28 PM

Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 11:32 PM

Vertigo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 11:35 PM

The ending of Cruising. A lot of people seem to think Al Pacino was the killer. I think he realized he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 11:37 PM

Lord. These threads.

Ambiguity.

It's a great thing, a good thing, a lazy cheat or perhaps the OP just thinks a movie does not have a sharpened ending.

So many possibilities...............

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 11:40 PM

R5, ooh good one, I loved that movie, Olsen’s performance, & that creepy ending.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 11:41 PM

That one freaked me out R9.

Another good one is Take Shelter.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 11:43 PM

Albert Finney reaching for Diane Keaton's hand at the end of Shoot the Moon.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 11:47 PM

Valentine (2001)- Was the cunt Dorothy involved in some of the killings?

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 11:49 PM

[quote] Did they live or die at the end of Thelma and Louise?

They lived, Rose. The convertible converted into a hovercraft, shocking everyone.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 11:50 PM

Entre Nous, an is-she-or-isn't-she a lesbian, from her child's POV.

I choose to believe she was, though I've never heard that that's been established.

Wonderful movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 11:50 PM

"Hello, Dolly!"

Was she really Dolly Gallagher Levi, as she claimed to be, or was she a disguised serial killer?

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 11:51 PM

I just saw one called "The Assistant" and in the end you don't know if she's going to quit her job due to a Harvey Weinstein-type boss- or keep on working there to further her career. She just walks down the sidewalk.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 11:52 PM

FWIW, I thought the ending of Ammonite was pretty unambiguous.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 11:54 PM

Pan’s Labyrinth

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 11:59 PM

Did she make it home with the painting intact?

Did they ever get together again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2021 12:04 AM

Two great Coen Bros. movies:

No Country For Old Men

A Serious Man

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2021 12:39 AM

The Incredible Shrinking Man

What happens when he goes through the window screen and leaves the house for good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2021 12:44 AM

"A League of their Own" -- Dottie drops the ball, meaning her team loses and her sister's team wins. Did she drop the ball on purpose?

by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2021 12:48 AM

R21. It's good ending, but I don't think he survives. Probably eaten by an insect or another spider.

by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2021 12:56 AM

Blade Runner, especially when you add in the director’s cut.

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2021 1:00 AM

GWTW -- Does she get Rhett back or not?

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2021 1:02 AM

Center Stage

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2021 1:05 AM

The Black Hole. Not a great film of a great ending, but certainly ballsy by Disney standards.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2021 1:07 AM

R17? I wouldn't live with a woman and her husband, even if he's in the other bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2021 1:16 AM

Grease, because other than the fact that they spontaneously sing and dance and change costumes, it wasn’t a supernatural film. But it ends with the car flying off and up. Huh?

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2021 1:22 AM

The Innocents (1961)

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2021 1:23 AM

All the french movies.

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote] Grease, because other than the fact that they spontaneously sing and dance and change costumes, it wasn’t a supernatural film. But it ends with the car flying off and up. Huh?

Clearly they both died the previous summer when Danny tried to save Sandy from drowning at the beach. Everything we’re seeing is their vision of the senior year they could have shared.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2021 1:29 AM

Limbo (1999), directed by John Sayles. A slow-burn thriller that ends on a quiet but disturbing note: is David Straithern about to be rescued--or has his past finally caught up with him?

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2021 1:31 AM

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - somehow Palpatine doesn't die.

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2021 1:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2021 1:35 AM

The Children's Hour. When Audrey Hepburn's character walks off after the funeral, James Garner is walking far behind. Do they reunite? Is she too bitter about what happened? Does she think she's gay?

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2021 1:36 AM

R36 Because that wasn’t in the original play, so they didn’t know how to end it

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2021 1:42 AM

R31, I remember Cache was like that as well. You never find out who it was who was filming the house.

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2021 1:53 AM

Stranger By the Lake

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2021 1:54 AM

The ending of "Ammonite" wasn't ambiguous at all - Mary Anning turns down the offer of a married woman's spare room, and goes back to living her life and being herself.

Now "The Innocents", that's the mother of all ambiguous movies and the best! With "Mulholland Drive" right after! Most movies that try for that sort of thing don't really make it work, like "Donnie Darko", "2001: A Space Oddessy", or "Lost in Translation". Most of them end up somewhere between a quirky good movie, and an interesting failure.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2021 3:25 AM

There's a horror movie that came out a few years ago called Cam. It starred Madeline Brewer (Janine from The Handmaid's Tale) as Alice, a camgirl. She is determined to break into the top 50 on her camsite, but when she does she discovers that a doppelganger has taken over her account and performing shows (and getting all her tips), while doing things she would never do. She finds out that one top girl died years ago, but some sort of AI makes it look like she's doing new shows. There's also an obsessive fan and a big spender she interacts with. It's never explained why a girl's account gets taken over, or who is doing it. Is the big spender orchestrating it, or the fanboy, or the site itself? It all seems a bit half-baked but it's still a good movie, mostly because of Brewer's performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2021 3:42 AM

The original ending of The Descent before Lion's Gate got nervous and ended it a minute or so before. We're not sure if the heroine will snap out of her madness long enough to get out of the cave and save herself.

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2021 5:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!