Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The liberals who can’t quit lockdown

I’ve been extremely cautious about COVID but am also of the belief that we need to start moving back toward normalcy quickly once we’re vaxxed. Progressive virtue mongers are going to make that more difficult for some in liberal enclaves:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 5, 2021 7:49 PM

Normality not normalcy please!!!

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 10:16 PM

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 10:19 PM

I'm a very liberal teacher and very paranoid about Covid but I think it's crazy to keep schools closed. Covid has not spread in the schools. I do think that people should continue wearing masks in places like schools because so many idiots aren't vaccinated, and the mask mandates have probably done a lot to keep transmission down. I mean, if it were going to spread in schools, it would have, but it didn't on a large scale.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 10:20 PM

This is a Cuntservative troll thread if ever I saw one. This is not happening, people.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 10:22 PM

All I did was link to an article in The Atlantic, r4. The title of the thread is the title of the article. Perhaps you're familiar with the Atlantic? It's been a voice of the American elite since sometime in the 1850s?

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 10:28 PM

My local library has a sign about returned materials: "Returned materials will remain on your library account until they have been quarantined and cleaned. This could take 5 to 7 days." And if you think that's just an obsolete sign, reflecting early Covid policy that's no longer enforced, I can personally attest that's not the case. How long has it been since we knew that Covid was not transmitted from surface materials?! As much as it may pain you & me, one has to concede that Red State America sometimes has a point.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 10:44 PM

I’m fully vaccinated but will continue to wear a mask until everyone gets a chance to get vaccinated—probably for a couple of more months or so. After that those who continue to refuse the vaccine will be on their own. The Covid-19 will be most dangerous to those who remain unvaccinated—not so much for those who have complied with the vaccination program. The anti-vaxxers can be this year’s Darwin Award winners. They won’t have my sympathy, just my pity for being too stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 10:47 PM

I'm fully vaccinated as well. I stopped wearing a mask on my bike rides (was mandatory here in LA). I'm as immune as I'll ever be. I'm for lifting the restrictions on most everything. If the numbers go up again, then we re-evaluate but until then, it's time to open shit up.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 10:55 PM

I'm fully vaccinated, going out more and seeing some friends, but I'm still cautious. We're doing well, but this bitch isn't defeated yet. Who is hurt by anyone remaining cautious?

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 10:56 PM

we're fine. You're the one with a problem

You worry about you

And by the way, you're opinion means nothing to anyone

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 10:59 PM

[quote] Covid has not spread in the schools.

You might want to check your math, teach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 11:00 PM

[quote]I'm a very liberal teacher and very paranoid about Covid but I think it's crazy to keep schools closed. Covid has not spread in the schools.

Michigan tracks coronavirus outbreaks, which it defines as instances in which two or more cases are linked by a place and time, indicating a shared exposure outside of a household.

For the week ending April 23, more outbreaks were identified in K-12 schools than any other sector – 222 ongoing outbreaks plus 73 new outbreaks in the past week, for a total of 295.

Next on the list is manufacturing or construction sites with 258 total outbreaks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 11:03 PM

The journalist on Twitter. The CDC gave people a green light A WEEK AGO. I'm making plans again and getting back to life, but I'm not RUNNING.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 11:04 PM

I'm glad you posted this. I'm torn between the trauma and exhaustion. Fear and hope. My partner and I have been vaccinated since January, but we're very cautious. He's extremely cautious and it drives me crazy. We have vacations planned for June and I'm certain they'll be canceled by anti-vaxxing idiocy and bad luck, new variants and unruly airline behavior. I want this to end, yet I realize it will never end. It's our new normal and I need to adjust my behavior and expectations and learn to live my life.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote] And by the way, you're opinion means nothing to anyone

It matters to people who can spell, unlike yourself.

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 11:23 PM

[quote] You might want to check your math, teach.

He meant K-12. And he's right.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 11:24 PM

I've not being paying much attention but is the Atlantic really right-wing now, more so than I remember?

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 11:35 PM

[quote] He meant K-12. And he's right.

You couldn't read to the very next post?

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 11:40 PM

r12, I'm still skeptical of those figures. A lot of transmission is going to be linked to schools because classmates congregate outside of school without masks. They transmit it in those situations and get sick. The studies will show that the school is the location of transmission but it was probably elsewhere. That's what's happened in my school. What I haven't seen are teachers and entire classrooms of students falling ill. Social distancing and masks seem to work.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 11:52 PM

R3 - children are nothing but disease spreading rats. They don’t get sick, but they carry Covid around like the dirty rats they are.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 11:54 PM

I agree, r20. But if you decide to be a teacher, you're signing up for exposure to their diseases and germs.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2021 11:57 PM

The point, R21, is they cross-contaminate at school, and then spread those germs around at home and in the community.

by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2021 12:00 AM

Once you've been vaccinated, your chances of contracting Covid are 1 in 2000. The unvaccinated have a 1 in 100 chance. If I told you that getting into your car and driving someplace had a 1 in 2000 chance that you might get into an accident, would you go? You would and you should. Those are good odds that you won't get into one.

by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2021 12:07 AM

Where are you coming up with these numbers, r23?

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2021 12:15 AM

Joy Reid, while fully vaccinated, saying on TV that she continues to double mask while jogging alone was LOL worthy. Is this about your own safety or about demonstrating how safe and serious you are to other people?

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2021 12:16 AM

[quote]Joy Reid, while fully vaccinated, saying on TV that she continues to double mask while jogging alone was LOL worthy. Is this about your own safety or about demonstrating how safe and serious you are to other people?

How about "showing you're not a selfish dick"? Is that an option?

Still seeing most people masked in NYC this week, which is a good sign. Currently we're at 15 new cases per day per 100,000 people, 7-day average, which the CDC considers uncontrolled spread. When that number's under 5 per day per 100k, then I'll consider doing more stuff unmasked. Until then, no.

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2021 12:20 AM

After you do that, scientists would predict one coronavirus case for every 2,000 people who take both shots of Moderna or Pfizer. For Johnson and Johnson's single-shot, it would be about one in 300.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2021 12:21 AM

As far as I know, R24, there aren’t any such statistics or guarantees, particularly from vaccine producers. Rather, they acknowledge people can still get sick, and that they’re not entirely sure, yet, how long protection will last, but estimate 6 months at least.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2021 12:21 AM

You're a "selfish dick" if you don't double mask while jogging alone even after being fully vaccinated?

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2021 12:22 AM

r27 is for r23

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2021 12:23 AM

I meant r24

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2021 12:23 AM

[quote]You're a "selfish dick" if you don't double mask while jogging alone even after being fully vaccinated?

What fucking business is it of yours if she's jogging covered head-to-toe in Saran wrap?

Some people are overly careful. 600,000 Americans are dead. Mind your own fucking business.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2021 12:26 AM

People like R26 will never be fully satisfied about safety. The rest of the country will move on.

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2021 12:29 AM

If someone is being overly cautious A WEEK after the CDC gives an all clear, what's the harm?

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2021 12:33 AM

Thanks, r27, though I don't see where you came up with "The unvaccinated have a 1 in 100 chance." I also wonder how those numbers account for other variables, such as how many other people get vaccinated, or over what amount of time.

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2021 12:42 AM

You are welcome, r35. I read those numbers elsewhere, but I can't remember where I saw them. The 1 in 100 chance was kind of sobering but not really when I consider that I know several folks who got Covid. All were people who lived with other people. I think if you live alone as I do, your chances go WAY down.

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2021 12:46 AM

[quote]they’re not entirely sure, yet, how long protection will last, but estimate 6 months at least.

That’s not an estimate, it’s a real-world observation of people who’ve been vaccinated for six months. Most experts predict protection will last longer than that.

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2021 12:57 AM

The best thing you can do is to get vaccinated as quickly as possible, and encourage others to do so as well. A measure of caution is wise until the vaccination percentage increases. Having said that, I will feel much better once I get my 2nd shot.

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2021 1:02 AM

Most people didn't lockdown. They still went over to each other's homes. They went on vacation. A lot of states barely had a lockdown

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2021 1:21 AM

[quote]Most people didn't lockdown. They still went over to each other's homes. They went on vacation. A lot of states barely had a lockdown

So then, like Prohibition, why did the government keep it going for so long? For show?

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2021 1:28 AM

Yeah, well, I was slowly starting to unbend and relax, after getting vaccinated and so on... and then India blew up into the worst pandemic since 1918, and the India variant virus made it into the US and my region specifically.

So, I'm back to being extremely cautious, until I see how this goes.

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2021 3:37 AM

[quote]Ask me again in a month

A month? I already lost interest after about 10 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2021 4:13 AM

India didn't "blow up." They weren't reporting their cases and they were behind the rest of us in the waves of the virus. This is their second wave. We've been through ours. India has a billion people and MILLIONS of them went to a festival a few weeks ago and from the pics I saw no one was wearing masks.

They are the South Dakota biker rally on steroids.

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2021 4:30 AM

Hindu festival...three weeks ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 5, 2021 4:33 AM

As humility is a virtue, don’t we owe an apology to the ‘20 spring breakers who we shamed?

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2021 7:05 AM

Just as we rightfully flog Fox News when we see studies showing how woefully ignorant its starry-eyed viewers are, we must acknowledge that MSNBC has not been exactly covered in glory with its Covid reportage. I read a recent article which showed how MSNBC viewers were ridiculously off in their assessment of the risks to young people, as well as the likelihood of hospitalization for those adults who’ve been affected. I had to more than once talk my fellow MSNBC-viewing friend off the ledge last year about her risks as a single person who had no sustained contact with anyone else. She would continuously default to all the death she was seeing reported.

by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2021 7:21 AM

The NYT, which has since early into the pandemic a dedicated page to short bios of people lost to Covid, jumped the shark when one of its profile obits was of a 106-year old!

by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2021 10:31 AM

[quote]don’t we owe an apology to the ‘20 spring breakers who we shamed?

I'd say they still owe an apology to the rest of us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2021 11:37 AM

Yes, R47, I can't believe the NYT would think a 106-year-old's life would be worth commemorating.

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2021 11:40 AM

[quote]I'm a very liberal teacher and very paranoid about Covid but I think it's crazy to keep schools closed. Covid has not spread in the schools.

Again, from Michigan:

Data through May 1 indicate there are an average of 740 cases per day among those aged 10-19, the highest of any age group. As of April 29, local health departments had reported 311 new and ongoing outbreaks among K-12 schools, with 73 of those outbreaks reported in the week prior. Additionally, there are 377 identified clusters among minors participating in school and club sports since January 2021.

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2021 12:44 PM

[quote]I read a recent article which showed how MSNBC viewers were ridiculously off in their assessment of the risks to young people, as well as the likelihood of hospitalization for those adults who’ve been affected.

Well I read an article on the internet that said the [bold]EXACT OPPOSITE[/bold], so take your anti-mask trolling elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2021 3:41 PM

This is the most under reported stat of all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2021 5:02 PM

R52 and ⅔ of US adults are overweight so....?

by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2021 5:17 PM

R53, this has, rightfully, been a major Covid pet peeve of Bill Maher. When we know that Covid outcomes worsen the heavier you are, the silence of our political & medical leaders on the vital importance of trying to lose weight has been deafening.

by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2021 5:46 PM

r52, what do you mean by "and we all know why?" It was reported all over that the obese were getting hit harder.

by Anonymousreply 55May 5, 2021 6:00 PM

BBC: The world's most vaccinated country is bringing back restrictions amid a rise in cases.

The Seychelles, which has fully vaccinated over 60% of its population, recorded close to 500 new cases in three days leading up to May 1 and now has about 1,000 cases. The country has a population of nearly 100,000 people.

A third of the active cases involve people who received two doses of vaccine -- unfortunately, 60% of the fully vaccinated were inoculated with China's Sinopharm vaccine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 5, 2021 7:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!