Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Famed NYC restaurant, Eleven Madison Park, reopening with all vegan/vegetarian menu

I can’t imagine paying their exorbitant prices for vegetables.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 11:51 PM

Glad I ate there in the old days!

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 9:53 PM

Is it vegan or vegetarian? Those are different things.

I'm down for a nice vegetarian meal, but wouldn't want to spend big money on a vegan one.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 9:57 PM

Quote from their website, sounds like vegan to me.

“ I’m excited to share that we’ve made the decision to serve a plant-based menu in which we do not use any animal products — every dish is made from vegetables, both from the earth and the sea, as well as fruits, legumes, fungi, grains, and so much more.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 10:03 PM

and stupid rich people who hate themselves will still shell out $500 per person for what amounts to a SALAD BAR

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 10:04 PM

No butter, no cream, no cheese?

Pass.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 10:05 PM

Is Dinosaur Ribs still open?

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 10:05 PM

Sounds delish!

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 10:12 PM

I see them quietly rolling this back in 12 months. There may be enough people in NYC who can shell out hundreds of dollars for leaves, roots, and potatoes, but vegetables are rarely memorable food items. Eventually, after the novelty wears off, people won't return.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 10:23 PM

The one and only time I ate there, I had the duck with daikon and plum. It was delicious, as was the entire meal, and quite expensive. Sorry that they're not going to be serving it anymore. I don't think their new concept will be successful, but I'm usually wrong about such things.

Sitting across from us was a family of four: mom, dad, and two very bored-looking teenagers. The kids looked absolutely miserable. Apparently they were forbidden to use their phones during dinner (three cheers, mom and dad) but I'm sure the kids would much rather have been at Shake Shack across the street in the park. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on kids who obviously didn't appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 10:25 PM

Some people have more money than sense R9.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 10:28 PM

[quote] Some people have more money than sense

They appeared wealthy. They were speaking Italian, IIRC, and were probably visiting NY. Very well dressed, including the children, which most Americans aren't. I'm sure they wanted to give their children a nice evening but the kids looked old enough to have gone out on their own. Aside from the money, I would not have been able to relax and have a nice evening if I had to look over and see my child sulking and pushing the food around their plates, but then I've never been a parent.

I would've given them $50 told them to get a couple of burgers, go see a movie, and be back at the hotel by midnight.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 10:39 PM

The YouTube comments have a lot of white Karens applauding the move and "love, love, loving it."

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 10:58 PM

R12 Any comment from the black Laquishas?

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 11:01 PM

People go to high end restaurants for the best cuts of meat, fowl, fish, shellfish, cheeses. A treat really.

Is vegan a treat? Something special? Something you want to splurge on?

I'll be surprised if this policy lasts.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 11:08 PM

Look at the publicity this announcement got, I do think there will be a rush of diners to est there just to say they did.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 11:10 PM

R15 and after eating their $80 potato, they won't back.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 11:28 PM

[quote] I can’t imagine paying their exorbitant prices for vegetables.

Why not? I love veggies! And they can be quite expensive! 🍆🍑💵

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 11:39 PM

I wonder if they'll have a children's menu for R17.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 11:42 PM

Oh em gee! I hope so! My kiddos love veggies but I wouldn’t dare dream of taking them to such an expensive restaurant. But if there’s a kids menu to cut down on the cost then sure! DH and I will just have to have date nite 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨 at some other place!

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 11:49 PM

It will be cuisine evolved from molecular gastronomy. SF has pulled off, briefly, some high end places that do this. But that's SF. There will be a LOT of "fungi" (mushrooms for your plebes) and desperate tie ins of seaweed to get some satisfying Unami. I don't know how they will sell the wine that delivers profits. Of course bowls an plates of vegetables can be cheap to source but they will get the best, which isn't easy.

Pass on my dime, but I'd gladly try it on someone else's dime.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 11:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!