Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gattaca

What a beautiful, overlooked, and underrated film. It’s a glimpse into our OCD future. Ethan Hawke and Jude Law are both around their attractive peak here. It’s the only time Uma Thurman has been a believable actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 5, 2021 7:48 PM

Where is Gattaca overlooked and underrated? Flyoverstan? Darfur? North?

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 9:32 PM

Thanks, OP, looks good.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 9:34 PM

R1 it only made 12.5M at the box office and almost 25 years later most people have never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 9:37 PM

“North?”

Oh, Dear!

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 9:38 PM

I agree, op. I remember seeing this in a theater as a teen and was totally blown away by it. I recently bought it on blu ray and fell in love with it all over again. There is something soothing about this film and, of course, it is as relevant today as it ever was. A timeless masterpiece, as far as I’m concerned.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 9:40 PM

I was one of the few introduced to it about 3 years after it came out. Beautiful, ethereal, sad film.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 9:45 PM

If you doubt Thurman can act, watch Jennifer 8.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 9:48 PM

Wonderful film, still moves me after multiple viewings. And Michael Nyman's score is just exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 9:52 PM

Agree, R5. This is how I like my science fiction.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 9:56 PM

OP, R5 here again. I just noticed your quip regarding Ms. Thurman’s acting…

HOW DARE YOU SLANDER UMA! She was perfection in both parts of Kill Bill and should’ve been nominated and won for either!

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 9:58 PM

I agree, it has a soothing quality and is beautifully shot.

I watched it with my partner a few weeks ago, and since then I keep searching for another movie with similar qualities.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 9:58 PM

R11 It’s like a meditation… a rumination on life, elitism, the disconnection between humans, and death.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 10:00 PM

Empty shit.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 10:03 PM

I thought it looked great (and had some hot actors), but the plot got a little ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 10:04 PM

I LOVE LOVE this movie, for me, it's a "modern classic" (along with the fabulous baker boys).....

everything about it i love, the storyline, the musical score is beyond melancholy and beautiful...

the lighting and costumes as well, the locales and sets....

have the movie poster and it framed..

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 10:12 PM

It was the first time I saw Jude Law. Couldn't take my eyes off him because I thought he was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 10:15 PM

I LOOOOOVE this movie. I bought it on DVD years ago. Gotta get the blu ray.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 11:01 PM

I love Gattaca, but can only watch it every few years.

Everyone, including Uma, was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 11:13 PM

I can't exactly remember the ending, but it had me tearing up, and that doesn't happen often!

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 11:15 PM

Gorgeous movie. Loren Dean was particularly beautiful. The score was so moving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 11:17 PM

It's okay.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2021 11:20 PM

The only problem with the ending of Gattaca was the claim that only men who are righthanded do aim with their right hand while urinating - which was a giveaway that Ethan Hawke wasn't who he claimed to be.

The thing you don't realize until a rewatch is that Ethan Hawke knows that he won't survive the trip due to his heart condition. It seems so hopeful, but between Jude's suicide in a furnace and Ethan's effective suicide to achieve his space dream, it's a downer all around.

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2021 11:20 PM

And is his dick a big flopping downer?

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2021 11:35 PM

R22... why would ethan hawk's character's heart not survive a mission in space? considering all he had already put his heart thru? having seen this movie countless times i never got that impression..

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2021 12:38 AM

I have only seen this once, when it first came out on dvd. I loved it but don’t remember a lot about it. I need to see if it’s streaming somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2021 1:12 AM

R25 Prime and Hulu, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2021 1:15 AM

This movie starred two of my pet peeve actors with Hawke and Thurman, and I still loved it. Gattaca and The Talented Mr Ripley, what a time for Jude Law. Gattaca is my type of sci-fi, set in the near future with sci-fi trappings, but very action, special affects and gadgets.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2021 1:24 AM

...but very LITTLE action, special effects and gadgets...

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2021 1:25 AM

Love Michael Nyman’s soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2021 1:27 AM

A woke critique.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2021 1:31 AM

I watched Gattaca on opening weekend at the Beverly Center. I always liked Ethan Hawke and Loren Dean, and they were nice to watch. Jude Law is not my type, but he looked good, too.

More attractive to me was seeing various Los Angeles area landmarks in the film, like the Sepulveda Dam, LA City Hall, Cal Poly Pomona, Second Street tunnel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2021 1:32 AM

Ethan Hawke's jacked teeth would be the first tip off that he's not genetically engineered.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2021 1:33 AM

Yes, discrimination and elitism are definitely central themes in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2021 1:34 AM

I get the superficial point of the movie: human will and passion, not mere genetics, underlie greatness. Something like that.

I just don’t wholly believe it. It needlessly discounts the power and potential of eugenics and gene editing.

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2021 1:37 AM

The score was incredible as was my acting.

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2021 1:39 AM

[quote]why would ethan hawk's character's heart not survive a mission in space? considering all he had already put his heart thru? having seen this movie countless times i never got that impression..

He had a weak heart. Flying through space is not like Star Wars.

- Watch the final scene with Jude. While Jude set aside samples to last a while, he apologizes that he couldn't set aside more. Ethan tells him that he won't need it...why do you suppose he wouldn't need it?

- When Ethan's brother asks how he won the swim, he says that he won by not saving anything for the return trip. He only made it to this point because he wasn't saving anything for coming back from space.

- Also, the way the scene is cut between Ethan leaving and Jude incinerating himself. He says "For someone who wasn't meant for this world, I must confess, I'm having a hard time leaving it" - double meaning, both literal and figuratively leaving this world.

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2021 1:40 AM

I’ve loved this movie...it is a Sci Fi classic

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2021 1:40 AM

R36 Love it!

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2021 1:43 AM

“Dark City” is another underrated sci-fi masterpiece. I started a thread about it a few years ago but it never took off. It came out a year later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2021 1:45 AM

r36. I never thought of this! What a depressing ending!!

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2021 1:46 AM

I love your interpretation R36.

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2021 1:46 AM

R39 I liked it, too.

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2021 1:47 AM

Uma was good in Kill Bill.

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2021 1:47 AM

R36... guess will have to agree to disagree..

1) from the way it looked it DID look like going into space was like riding in a car... no space suits, simple but futuristic capsule, etc. as you seem them in outer space they are STILL wearing their suits, no masks, and no violent jarring as they fly upwards leaving earth...

2) i suppose he wouldn't need those samples when he got back, because he had already achieved his goal in life, he was okay with going away and living a quiet life forever with uma thurman's character Iris...he wouldn't need to stay in the space program and life a life...

3) as far as the swim, his character was talking about how he won previously when they were children and he saved his brother... because there was another island or land that only he knew about and in the last race at night, he mentions how they were now closer to that area than to the shore they started their race at..

4) he was having a hard time leaving "this world" because he had fallen in love with Iris and wouldn't see her for a year and of course he was already missing jude law's character..

by Anonymousreply 44May 5, 2021 1:54 AM

Joe Morganstern of WSJ called it a “crypto-gay fantasy”. He was complimentary is his review. I still remember that phrase.

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2021 2:48 AM

Designer Genes Run Amok

By Joe Morgenstern

Oct. 24, 1997 11:59 pm ET

The stylishly morose sci-fi fantasy "Gattaca ," a debut feature written and directed by Andrew Niccol, tells a cautionary tale about the evils of genoism. In case you're not up on the latest isms, this has nothing to do with people from Genoa. It's genetic discrimination, or the cellular-biological equivalent of kicking sand in the face of 98-pound weaklings. Ethan Hawke plays a handsome "in-valid" named Vincent Freeman, a member of the genetic underclass at a time--the not-too-distant future, we're told--when good looks alone get you nowhere. (That proves it's a fantasy.)

Where Vincent wants to get is the stars. He's had his sights set on intergalactic exploration since childhood, so he hustles himself a desk job with the Gattaca Corporation, which has a global lock on space travel. But Gattaca won't let the likes of him anywhere near their rockets, so Vincent devises a scheme to circumvent the company's scrupulously efficient personnel screening: buy better genetic material on the black market and pass it off as his own.

So far so good--a plot with all the makings of a thriller. Also a subplot that promises romance, with Uma Thurman as the sleekly beautiful Irene, a genetically elite co-worker who also suffers from physical problems. (It's her heart.) But "Gattaca" has another agenda, for the source of Vincent's high-octane DNA, urine and blood--lots of blood--is another hunky guy, Jerome (Jude Law), a superior specimen who's been paralyzed in an accident. (In other words, a valid invalid.) With what may have been invalid naiveti, I kept looking for real heat between Mr. Hawke and Ms. Thurman, but the movie's heart lies in the solemn, murky relationship between the two men. I'm not making moral judgments, mind you, only dramatic ones. Given the movie's sci-fi premise, I wasn't expecting a crypto-gay romance in a not-too-distant future when it's OK once again to exchange bodily fluids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2021 2:50 AM

Oh that’s the entire review.

“Crypto-gay romance”.

by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2021 2:50 AM

It's just uncanny how everyone seems to know and like and write praise about this overlooked and underrated film.

by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2021 2:55 AM

Apart from The Truman Show, Andrew Niccols’s movies have such a distinct retro-futuristic style.

There was one that kind of imitated Gattaca recently, with the same look and vaguely similar story. With that guy from A Simple Man and that actress who recently has a sex change. Lemme see…

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2021 2:58 AM

Equals with Nicholas Hoult and Kristen Stewart — not Ellen Page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2021 3:00 AM

R48 has Aspergers

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2021 3:54 AM

R39 Dark City did double the box office of Gattaca. I think they didn’t know how to market Gattaca properly and it was too high-brow for the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2021 3:56 AM

Gattaca was just released on 4K a few weeks ago It looks incandescently beautiful in that format Here’s the steelbook from BestBuy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2021 4:09 AM

R53 Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2021 4:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 5, 2021 4:11 AM

The 4K steel book sold out and people are selling it for up to $250 on eBay MSRP 38

by Anonymousreply 56May 5, 2021 4:15 AM

Love that Gattaca is getting so much love. One of all time favorites.

Probably the biggest compliment I ever received was when I was at a co-workers apartment and his new roommate walked in while my friend was upstairs getting ready for us to go out. I exchanged hellos with the new roommate. Then she went upstairs.

I overheard her tell my friend: Who the hell is that guy in our living room? It's like Jude Law from Gattaca is in our house...

I could have died very happy that day!

by Anonymousreply 57May 5, 2021 4:15 AM

^ Were you in a wheelchair?

by Anonymousreply 58May 5, 2021 4:17 AM

R58 beat me to it

by Anonymousreply 59May 5, 2021 4:17 AM

Astounding SONY released a 4K of this overlooked and underrated film. And then to top it off, it sold out. What is going on?

by Anonymousreply 60May 5, 2021 4:20 AM

R60 rumor is only 3 people that are obsessed fan girls bought all the copies.

by Anonymousreply 61May 5, 2021 4:22 AM

R56 Copies are still available at Best Buy.

by Anonymousreply 62May 5, 2021 4:25 AM

R62 Amazon is out except 3rd party

by Anonymousreply 63May 5, 2021 4:26 AM

I tried posting a link for the film’s Best Buy page, but Muriel isn’t letting me.

by Anonymousreply 64May 5, 2021 4:26 AM

It’s selling for $27.99. I just bought one.

by Anonymousreply 65May 5, 2021 4:27 AM

Best Buy easy to Google

by Anonymousreply 66May 5, 2021 4:31 AM

Did you ever see a movie called "Blade Runner"? There are 4 beautiful actors in it. One is Harrison Ford, and you all know him. And there is Shauna Young who was a cult actress and said to have gone crazy. Plus Uma Thurman and Klaus Kinski. Gattaca kind of reminds me of Blade Runner. It's an obscure art movie and deserves to be seen. It's ravishing with a haunting soundtrack by Kraftwerk.

by Anonymousreply 67May 5, 2021 4:36 AM

Recent poll shows that only 0.0008% of Americans have heard of the movie Gattaca.

by Anonymousreply 68May 5, 2021 4:38 AM

Oh hell no, R68.

by Anonymousreply 69May 5, 2021 4:49 AM

R67 it’s Sean Young

by Anonymousreply 70May 5, 2021 4:49 AM

OP I'm not a Scifi fan, but I remember liking Gattaca though I haven't seen it in a long time. It was more cerebral than most Scifi as I remember and if you think Uma can't act watch Hysterical Blindness (2002) A TV movie for which she won the Golden Globe for Best Actress

by Anonymousreply 71May 5, 2021 4:50 AM

silly question, but if you have a 4k dvd does that mean you have to watch it on a 4k dvd player and 4k TV?

by Anonymousreply 72May 5, 2021 12:22 PM

R72 Yes. Now, most 4K blu rays bring a regular blu ray disc, as is the case with this edition. Also, most tv’s are 4K now, too. However, you do need to make sure you have a 4K compatible blu ray player, i.e., not just one that “upgrades” to 4K.

by Anonymousreply 73May 5, 2021 1:12 PM

R73... got it, my tv is 4k, but my dvd player is only "regular".. i know i need to at least upgrade to a blue ray player so i can watch 4k and normal dvd's on it!...however, my normal dvd player also is a dvd/vcr player AND RECORDER, so i can record stuff and transfer stuff from vcr to dvd and vice versa, so i'll never part with that!

by Anonymousreply 74May 5, 2021 4:17 PM

R74 Chile, get a blu ray.

by Anonymousreply 75May 5, 2021 7:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!