Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

They Eat Horses, Don't They?

Have you ever eaten horse meat? They do it in France and Germany and other European countries and apparently in Asia as well. I once had horse meat in a bratwurst and I would love to eat a horse sourbraten. Yummy!

But how about you? Would you eat horse? Would Americans be open for horse meat? (I don't think so.)

by Anonymousreply 97July 1, 2022 12:31 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 9:00 PM

Doubtful. I believe most Americans don't like the taste of lamb/are unfamiliar with it (because it's considered 'gamey') -- I don't see horsemeat taking off here.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 9:02 PM

Fuck off GGG you boring cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 9:03 PM

Germany here. I met one person in my entire life who ate horse meat, and he imported some sausages to pull pranks on others he wanted to catch unaware of what they were eating. It's not a thing here.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 9:03 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 9:05 PM

Oh G3, I used to love you...

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 9:05 PM

R2, that's really interesting. Do Americans not tend to eat much lamb? It's a bit thing here in Australia. I'm vegetarian now, but lamb was one of the last meats I gave up.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 9:06 PM

^it's a big thing...

Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 9:07 PM

R7 I am an American who grew up eating lamb, and still eat it once a month, but my parents are from Turkey, and Iran.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 9:09 PM

Well I never!

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 9:09 PM

Americans eat lamb but it's not as popular as beef or chicken. A lot of people don't know how to cook it but I see lamb chops at restaurants all the time. The "dirty socks" musk taste is a turn off but I've found that Colorado raised lamb doesn't have that taste at all.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 9:10 PM

R7, Americans don't eat much lamb. I love it, but it's somewhat hard to find in grocery stores, and when you do (usually at middle eastern markets in my area anyhow), it's a bit expensive. I believe lamb used to be more popular in the 1950s/60s, as I'll see recipes for it in old cookbooks from that era though (lamb chops, rack of lamb).

Duck is another meat I wish was more popular here.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 9:12 PM

Let’s talk lamb instead of horse.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 9:13 PM

American here...I used to live in Paris, and there was a horse butcher right down the street. I don't find it objectionable, at all. I think Americans don't like eating things that are usually thought-of as cute.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 9:15 PM

I'm also vegetarian but some things are more acceptable than others. Horse meat is not acceptable. Fucking disgusting. My husband won't eat lamb. That's for old gross people like his mom and my dad.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 9:15 PM

Years ago when I was a kid, my dog had worms and the vet recommended feeding him horsemeat. It came in cans and was located in the pet food section, but I have no idea if it's still considered dog food. Anyway, I loved horses so I was very upset that my dog was eating their flesh for dinner every night. I'll never forget the way it smelled... not bad, but just not something I wanted to smell. No, I could never eat horsemeat.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 9:17 PM

Someone who tried it told me it was stringy.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 9:18 PM

I think lambchops are still popular in the U.S., but mutton is definitely obsolete here.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 9:20 PM

My favorite place for Horse is United in Mgarr, Malta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 9:21 PM

No one eats mutton.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 9:21 PM

Most Americans eat beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and certain fish and shellfish, and that's about it. The idea of eating horses, like eating cats or dogs, is regarded as being one step away from cannibalism, an act of desperation or depravity.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2021 9:22 PM

Lamb is expensive in America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2021 9:30 PM

Eating horse sounds gross.

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2021 9:31 PM

Lamb is more expensive than beef everywhere because of demand from Muslim Countries.

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2021 9:34 PM

I grew up in Germany and I don’t know one person under 40 who has eaten horse meat.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2021 9:39 PM

I loved that commercial R22. Love that music. I think it's called Hoe Down.

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2021 9:39 PM

I loved it as well, even before I knew it was gay music.

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2021 9:44 PM

At a restaurant just outside Padua I had horse-meat. I did not order it; my Italian friends did. They told me after dinner what I had eaten. I remember it as really tender and tasty. 💁‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2021 9:54 PM

Horse sashimi is a thing in Tokyo, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2021 9:57 PM

I could not swear to it, but it's possible I tried it in Belgium decades ago. If so, I don't recall hating it or being creeped out, although I wouldn't eat it again. Too associated with pets, similar to cats and dogs.

by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2021 9:58 PM

I ate horse meat in Japan-- it's called basashi and it's eaten raw.

by Anonymousreply 31May 4, 2021 9:58 PM

R31, was it good?

by Anonymousreply 32May 4, 2021 10:00 PM

I guess it's ok. I also had raw deer and cooked whale. I don't really like a lot of meat, but in Japan, you really have to eat what they put in front of you.

by Anonymousreply 33May 4, 2021 10:02 PM

R33 what happens if you refuse?

by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2021 10:07 PM

Raw horsemeat or deer is not good for you.

by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2021 10:08 PM

Nothing happens, but you don't have anything to eat if you don't eat what's prepared. I'm talking about at inns or banquets. That's where food like that is served. No one is going to go and make something because you don't want to eat the specialty.

by Anonymousreply 36May 4, 2021 10:10 PM

What did whale taste like, R33?

by Anonymousreply 37May 4, 2021 10:41 PM

I grew up with the forbidden meat with a German part of the family.

They treated it like contraband but it was just fine to my young-and-very-careful tastes. However, it was fibrous in a way beef isn't. Sinewy.

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2021 10:41 PM

I once ate kangaroo meat and ut smelled funny. But whale meat tasted just like beef.

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2021 10:45 PM

As an exchange student in France in the early 70s. When France was still very "French."

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2021 10:51 PM

R34, seeing as it is Japan, it would probably be rude to refuse, and there are probably over 1,000 ways to be considered rude at a dinner table over there.

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2021 10:55 PM

I had what I thought was hamburger when I was stationed in Germany in the late 70s. I found out later it was horsemeat. It was delicious and I kept on eating it every time I was in that neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2021 11:02 PM

Horse here. I'd rather they didn't do it anywhere. It goes without saying, I wouldn't eat horse "meat" ever.

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2021 12:54 AM

[quote] What did whale taste like, [R33]?

It tasted like corned beef. I had it in a very rural fishing town where you could see whale for sale in the markets. It wasn't good. But the grossest thing I ever had over there was fried blowfish balls. Raw fish balls are fine but when they're fried, they are veiny and the fish jizz squirts out when you bite into them. Also koi is gross. It's not often eaten since it's like catfish, an oily shit-eating fish.

by Anonymousreply 44May 5, 2021 12:57 AM

I used to love when my mother would serve lamb. I'd steal the leftover mint jelly, some marachino cherries, and a martini glass to play "gay divorcee". I have no idea how 7 year old me came up with it, but, allegedly, you could see me from space.

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2021 1:02 AM

R45 I just busted a gut over that one. That one belongs in the classic "dialing the phone with a pencil" thread.

by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2021 1:27 AM

People will eat anything i guess

by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2021 9:12 AM

Americans eat lamb, but it is expensive. My family eats lamb every Easter. I used to buy lamb chops a lot, but they've just gotten too pricey. Ground lamb to make lamburgers is not uncommon. It's funny-- I never found lamb to be "gamey" at all. It tastes very similar to beef, to me. I got tricked into eating venison once, and I was furious when I found out what it was. I kept thinking it was rancid-- tasted awful!

I think eating a horse is disgusting and no different than eating dog. The way our wild horses have been treated in this country is horrific. I'd like to see some asshole politicians strung up for what they've allowed to happen-- importing American wild horses to France for meat. Awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2021 9:24 AM

Not knowingly, and I don't eat mammals at all now but when there was the horse meat scandal a few years ago in the UK, I think it's possible I ate it unknowingly in the past.

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2021 10:34 AM

I've eaten horse in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. I don't see what the fuss is about. It's just meat.

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2021 10:37 AM

Horses are more expensive, so they are not usually breed for human consumption when other options like beef and lamb are cheaper and better quality. Here they use it to make a kind of jerky called "charqui", not very common. The available horse meat is usually from old animals, kind of rare and not appropriated. I don't get the fuss about from some of you, pigs are way more intelligent than horses, why one is acceptable and the other doesn't? Also traditional salami used to include horse meat.

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2021 10:45 AM

On a trip to France years ago, I remember seeing a shop with a horses head over the door and being told it sold horse meat. Do they still have those? I haven’t seen any since that first trip.

by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2021 1:09 PM

I figure with Chuck, duck, goose, turkey, beef and pork, there's enough meat to eat. I've tried rabbit, deer, lamb, ostrich and frog's legs. The last time I had lamb, I nearly choked on the gristle so I haven't had it since.

I could never consider eating horse because they are precious as service animals and companions, and even a wild horse that won't go near humans is just too awesome to look at. There's a lot you can do with the meat that's available in most markets. I don't need to eat rare meat to feel fancy.

by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2021 1:39 PM

[quote]I once had horse meat in a bratwurst and I would love to eat a horse sourbraten. Yummy!

Are you really German, OP? Because we spell that word sauerbraten in the US -- and I assume it's spelled that way in German, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2021 1:42 PM

My father and I huntered for many years in New Zealand when I was growing up. Meats on offer Wild Boar, Venison, Rabbit, Ducks etc. Lamb is everywhere, we export most of it along with Beef. Ate horse in the Netherlands, tasted fine to me. Lived in Aussie for years, only really lean meat is Kangaroo. Sorry to all the vegans and veggos....not

by Anonymousreply 55May 5, 2021 2:25 PM

Wasn't there a M*A*S*H episode about where someone got sick from eating horse meat - and Col. Potter was appalled because he loves horses?

by Anonymousreply 56May 5, 2021 2:32 PM

[quote]we spell that word 'sauerbraten" in the US and I assume it's spelled that way in German, too

It is indeed

by Anonymousreply 57May 5, 2021 2:42 PM

Yes, it is! I am German.

by Anonymousreply 58May 5, 2021 2:51 PM

Didn't Jack In the Box get busted for serving horse meat in their tacos in the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 59May 5, 2021 2:59 PM

The most popular sandwich at a Parma, Italy restaurant at lunch time is Horse tartar ! There is line going outside for it daily.

by Anonymousreply 60May 5, 2021 3:04 PM

R46, I shared my Price Is Right model fantasy in one of those threads. I have always had a vivid imagination.

To be on topic, I eat horse dick any chance I get, but I prefer it on the bone & alive.

by Anonymousreply 61May 5, 2021 3:05 PM

Eating horse is taboo in many cultures around the world.

by Anonymousreply 62May 5, 2021 3:07 PM

In Ljubljana, Slovenia, the late night drunk snack is Hot-Horse burgers. They used to be sold only from a stand but now even have proper restaurants. It’s ok. No freakier than a hot dog which most Americans readily slurp down.

by Anonymousreply 63May 5, 2021 3:25 PM

I can only eat roast leg of lamb when it's fresh from the oven. Cold is is awful.

Lamb kebabs in the middle east are great.

by Anonymousreply 64May 5, 2021 3:33 PM

I love lamb when it's mild, but when ordering it in a restaurant, it's a roll of the dice as you never know how gamey it will be. So I rarely eat it.

I used to love the souvlaki sandwiches at Karavas Place in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 65May 5, 2021 3:38 PM

Tastes a bit like a cosmo.

by Anonymousreply 66May 5, 2021 3:45 PM

Yes back in the 90s.

Next door neighbours were from Ghent, Belgium. It was their wedding anniversary and one of their family brought some. It was raw, sliced very thin like a carpaccio. Tasted sweet. Was ok.

I own racehorses and many are bought at sales or sold privately for human or animal consumption.

by Anonymousreply 67May 5, 2021 3:52 PM

R67 The buying part sounds kind of disgusting. So when they can't ride them anymore, they are sold for food? I don't think that's okay.

by Anonymousreply 68May 5, 2021 4:11 PM

Bison is quite good. I had my share at Yellowstone. I don't know if Ted Turner still owns his bison ranch in Montana, but at the time, it was something they were pushing as a healthier alternative to beef.

by Anonymousreply 69May 5, 2021 5:02 PM

I had it in Kazakhstan, it's national dish there as boiled with some dumplings/pasta or as sausage. there was really nothing else to eat. It very lean, almost gamey taste. Sausage is better.

by Anonymousreply 70May 5, 2021 5:08 PM

Elk steaks are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 71May 5, 2021 5:54 PM

r58 So why can't you spell sauerbraten?

by Anonymousreply 72May 5, 2021 6:49 PM

We eat it in Switzerland. Horse steak, and as ragout. We also have dried horse meat that is similar to dried beef - which is a mountain thing. Thinly sliced, like dried ham. Horse meat is fine but cut like beef become inedible when over cooked.

Also available in the supermarket is deer, roe deer and wild boar. And rabbit but I don't buy rabbit though I'll eat it when served to me.

by Anonymousreply 73May 5, 2021 7:30 PM

Does anybody else like rabbit?

by Anonymousreply 74May 5, 2021 8:59 PM

Lived in Switzerland and France for 40 years. Never ate horse but I used to buy it for my dogs. Very strong order, off-putting and it gave my dogs skin problems. The vet claimed horsemeat was too rich.

by Anonymousreply 75May 5, 2021 9:10 PM

My favorite meat is Provincetown bear steaks. So fatty and greasy!

by Anonymousreply 76May 5, 2021 9:18 PM

From what I understand, strong tasting lamb is from an old animal. In the US most people don't know what quality young lamb is, hence the strong gamey taste.

by Anonymousreply 77May 5, 2021 10:04 PM

Former travel writer. I was on a press trip to Belgium years ago and it was served, so as a matter of protocol I tried some. I didn't like it. To be honest, if the more cruciferous vegetables and soy products didn't make my feel like a rat was running through my guts, followed by horrific gas, I would go vegetarian again.

by Anonymousreply 78May 5, 2021 10:25 PM

I've always heard that horse meat tasted sweet.

I ate camel once (in Kuwait.) It was similar to beef, but drier (maybe that was how it was cooked.)

Speaking of foreign meat --- what's the US equivalent of gammon -- and if there isn't one, why don't we eat it here?

by Anonymousreply 79May 5, 2021 11:12 PM

Horse sausages very common in parts of Germany. Had a delicious horse carpaccio in Japan. When we asked what it was the waiter made whinny sounds to explain.

by Anonymousreply 80May 6, 2021 12:08 AM

WTF is gammon?

by Anonymousreply 81May 6, 2021 12:09 AM

gammon is ham in the UK

by Anonymousreply 82May 6, 2021 12:33 AM

We call it ham R82.

by Anonymousreply 83May 6, 2021 12:35 AM

I say 'neigh'! Er, 'nay.' Certainly not!

by Anonymousreply 84May 6, 2021 1:40 AM

Gammon is supposed to be cured like bacon; ham is not. Gammon is raw; ham i usually sold already cooked.

by Anonymousreply 85May 6, 2021 2:10 AM

I cooked gammon over here in the UK on Monday for lunch with new potatoes & peas, with a cheese sauce.

Was very nice. Going to use the leftovers with the chicken I cooked yesterday to make Chicken, leek & ham pie today.

by Anonymousreply 86May 6, 2021 2:36 AM

As I said, I'm a vegetarian and find this completely disgusting. But some of it is more disgusting than the rest. Who ate bear? That is almost like eating a person. This is 2021 and you people are not starving in some shack in the woods. Where are your standards? Where is the line? I'm really curious.

by Anonymousreply 87May 6, 2021 2:43 AM

I eat bison burgers all the time - they taste like beef but lower fat & higher protein. I’ve had gator in New Orleans, rabbit snails & frogs legs in France, bat in New Guinea and elk, venison, moose and Rocky Mountain oysters in Denver. And I’m not a particularly adventurous eater.

by Anonymousreply 88May 6, 2021 3:10 AM

Your lasagna might have lost the big race on Saturday.

Horsemeat is, for example, commonly eaten in (parts of) Italy, Belgium, France, the Netherlands and Luxembourg, while, in the United Kingdom and Ireland, there has historically been a strong cultural aversion to eating it.

by Anonymousreply 89May 6, 2021 3:21 AM

Bear is insanely delicious and tastes like no other meat. They are legal to kill under certain circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 90May 15, 2021 11:33 PM

Why would you kill a baby sheep to eat, but not baby chickens, baby cows, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 91May 17, 2021 12:46 AM

Baby chickens are too small R91. Veal is delicious. I do a fab Veal Piccata.

by Anonymousreply 92May 17, 2021 12:49 AM

R91 They do kill baby chickens, they are called Poussin and are delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 17, 2021 1:20 AM

Horsemeat is not kosher.

I’ve also heard that the horse was a sacred animal to pagan Britons, and that the taboo against eating horsemeat continued even after the country converted to Christianity.

by Anonymousreply 94May 17, 2021 1:41 AM

R94 British people have eaten horse meat on and off for centuries, especially it times of War or famine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 17, 2021 2:23 AM

Just had a delicious horse steak in Iceland. Like beef but with a grassy flavor.

by Anonymousreply 96July 1, 2022 12:21 AM

In West Virginia they actually eat horse shit burgers

by Anonymousreply 97July 1, 2022 12:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!