Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will another Woody Allen film ever be released or is his film career over?

Given his age and ongoing allegations will we ever see another film from him again? Will mainstream actors be prepared to work with him?Will film studios be willing to or is he now box office poison or a spent force at this point?

Also any recommendations of younger film directors who come close as a good maker of films in that kind of style and niche?

by Anonymousreply 125May 17, 2021 6:11 PM

He's 85 freaking years old. He belongs in a common room of a nursing home watching "Blue Bloods."

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 6:43 PM

His Dad lived to 100 r1 !!

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 6:46 PM

He will not make another film, even his longtime publicist Leslee Dart has dropped him and sister Letty is now handling his PR.

I don’t believe the accusations but Allen handled it poorly, he was too reactive, he had to fight fire and fire and go out there and drag Mia in the mud and call her a child abuser, but he did not.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 6:47 PM

Who would bankroll Woody Allen at this point?

Amazon was badly burnt by him even before the most recent allegations against him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 6:47 PM

[quote]He's 85 freaking years old.

He should run for president in 2024!

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 6:48 PM

[quote]I don’t believe the accusations

Then you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 6:49 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 6:51 PM

I guess I'm an idiot too, r6, because I don't believe them. Mia Farrow was pissed off that he was fucking her adopted adult daughter. She made up the charges to get back at him. Children are easily suggestable. There have been so many instances of bad parents and bad therapists planting stories of abuse in the heads of kids.

Woody was really stupid to get himself into the situation though.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 6:54 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 6:56 PM

He just did a movie with Gina Gershon and Wallace Shawn. You'll see lots of lower echelon actors lining up to work with him.

He'll continue to work until physically unable. The cost of filming digitally is so low that he keeps working with smaller and smaller budgets and it doesn't really matter because at a certain point, there's not much difference in production between a $20 mil studio movie and a $6 mil independent movie. The only difference is the cast and the PR that follows.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 7:03 PM

Didn't ScarJo say that she would still work with him? Or has she changed her mind too?

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 7:04 PM

His film with DL's beloved Timmy was godawful. Dude is 85 and rich. Just retire already. His best career days were already behind him

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 7:06 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 7:07 PM

[quote]I guess I'm an idiot too, [R6], because I don't believe them. Mia Farrow was pissed off that he was fucking her adopted adult daughter.

Gee, I wonder why.

& gee, I wonder why, in the whole of New York he could only find his long-time girlfriend's teenage daughter to fuck.

& gee, did you see the recent documentary? - the film footage of how he behaved with his little girl - unless you're a complete pervert weirdo (like him) you can see how totally inappropriate it was.

So, he went ahead and ruined the lives of the two people who were closest to him in the world. It's what evil people do. They destroy the people they love.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 7:10 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 7:12 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 7:13 PM

If you believe Mia and Dylan, you're a gullible idiot.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 7:17 PM

[quote]Mia Farrow was pissed off that he was fucking her adopted adult daughter. She made up the charges to get back at him.

He was in therapy for his inappropriate behavior with Dylan and Satchel BEFORE he started fucking Soon-Yi.

In fact, he went to Satchel's therapy session once, hoping Satchel's psychologist would help him explain how fucking Satchel's sister was okay, and the psychologist wouldn't do it. It's in the court paperwork.

Also, in the recent documentary, we saw video footage showing Woody wouldn't answer where he'd been during that missing time when Dylan said she'd been molested. Why not?

I know you guys will just say "why should he have to?" and pretend like that's an answer, but it's not.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 7:23 PM

I believe he has written/directed 49 feature length films to date, from 1969’s Take The Money And Run through Rifkin’s Festival - with some television work and projects such as New York Stories in between that don’t quite count to that tally - so it would be nice if he did one final film to cap his career and make it an even 50. It would certainly be a huge fuck you to Mia and the haters if he called favors with the actresses who have publicly voiced their support of him in the wake of the Dylan allegations: ScarJo, Diane Keaton, Anjelica Huston, Dianne Wiest and Penelope Cruz among them.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 7:26 PM

He seems like the kind of person who would drop dead if he was never able to work again.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 7:29 PM

Woody was known to be a harasser as a director - women he liked (of any age) in his movies were required to sleep with him. That's creepy enough, maybe pervy. This is regardless if the Dylan story is true or false or slightly true.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote]who have publicly voiced their support of him in the wake of the Dylan allegations: ScarJo, Diane Keaton, Anjelica Huston, Dianne Wiest and Penelope Cruz...

DOESN'T MATTER because they weren't there. It's like the mother who claims her son would never have committed a crime, she wasn't there when the crime was committed. Note, I don't come down on either side of the story and wish they would all shut up.

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2021 7:37 PM

r7 Why was Dean Cain cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2021 7:43 PM

r13 Oh I quite like a lot of his later work like Midnight in Paris, Vicky Cristina Barcelona and You will meet a tall dark stranger.

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2021 7:48 PM

Woody is an overindulged aspie but I don't think he's the true pedo freak that man-hating and white-man hating people want to make him out to be.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2021 7:48 PM

He's retired. Against his will.

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2021 7:55 PM

R18 he was not in therapy for any such thing. They sent Satchel to therapy because he was a mincing queen from the time he was a year old and that didn't sit well with Catholic Mia. Then they put Dylan in therapy because she had trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality. As part of this therapy both parents met with the therapist to discuss treatment; to twist this fact of a father participating in the treatment of his children as evidence of abuse is disturbing. Both therapists, Nancy Schultz and Susan Coates, testified that they did not believe the abuse happened; Coates reaffirmed that she was not treating Allen for anything, least of all deviant sexual compulsions. Allen's own psychoanalyst of 20 years, Kathryn Prescott, submitted an affidavit claiming that "There has never been any suggestion that Mr Allen was suffering from a sexual perversion/deviant sexual behavior.” No mental health professional or physician who examined Dylan EVER claimed that they suspected Allen had mistreated her. There was no physical evidence or eyewitness to the alleged event, so all the Farrows can do is trot out menacing insinuations and vague recollections of "creepy" behavior that we are meant to take as precursors to abuse. Mia herself wrote in her autobiography that she was mentally unstable for most of 1992 after learning of the affair. Tam and Thaddeus Farrow both killed themselves after an argument with Mia, her daughter Lark died from AIDS at 35 and Mia has nothing to do with her two daughters. She banished Soon-Yi from the family and now Moses is estranged from her. Who really fits the profile of an abuser here?

Despite that I don't think the Woodman has much left in him. He's a quasi luddite, he has no sense of how average people live in the world now, especially young people, and has strenuously avoided politics and social commentary for most of his film career.

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2021 8:11 PM

[quote]He just did a movie with Gina Gershon and Wallace Shawn. You'll see lots of lower echelon actors lining up to work with him.

And Steve Guttenberg was in it, too so we can see the caliber of actors he will look forward to working with.

It's sheer ego that is keeping Allen working. He really doesn't need to any longer. What is the reward of releasing a film in a few screens in Europe? He could just play his jazz and retire.

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2021 8:14 PM

Since OP started this thread Woody Allen has released three movies.

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2021 8:17 PM

I hate that it makes me sound like Fox News, but I am uneasy about the fact that he has been comprehensively cancelled on the basis of allegations which have never been proven in court. I found many of his later films quite tedious, but he also produced many which were wonderful, and his legacy shouldn’t be trashed.

by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2021 8:24 PM

Guttenberg starred in Allen's one-act play, "Honeymoon Motel", on Broadway 10 years ago, and got good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 31May 4, 2021 9:39 PM

Personally, I doubt Woody has another good film written and waiting to be filmed. There was a time when I a big fan of his work. I looked at a list of his movies, curious about the last time I was excited to see his work. There was Blue Jasmine (2013 - that's 7 years ago and I had read that Blanchett was incredible and Dice-Clay a real surprise). And Midnight in Paris (2011 - typical Allen, several script ideas that have nothing to do with each other, but in editing get strung together). And before those? Bullets Over Broadway (1994 - a wonderful an complete work).

For me, he just became repetitive, often started filming with incomplete ideas, allowed actors to improvise and I believe was coddled by a group of sycophants who believed that when in his presence, genius was present. The Mia and Soon-Yi story made him seems creepy. The story about abuse made everyone appear self-absorbed and living dirty, sordid lives. I don't pay any attention to him, his films or the random and near-hysteric threads here.

by Anonymousreply 32May 4, 2021 10:21 PM

[quote]They sent Satchel to therapy because he was a mincing queen from the time he was a year old and that didn't sit well with Catholic Mia.

Puleeese. If anyone would be upset about Satchel's queerness, it would have been Woody since the child was his only biological son. A SON, his genetic off spring (or so we think). As batty as Mia is, she's been around and doesn't follow the Catholic church to a tee.

by Anonymousreply 33May 4, 2021 10:34 PM

r32 What would you say was his last good movie? Have you seen Cafe Society or Wonder Wheel?

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2021 11:58 PM

"Sleeper" then he lost his funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2021 12:30 AM

I stopped watching WONDER WHEEL about 15 minutes in....

And I am a loyalist who made it all the way through the dire RAINY DAY IN NEW YORK and some lesser efforts.

No matter what happens with Allen's career, I believe I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 36May 6, 2021 12:37 AM

R34 Blue Jasmine. Wonder Wheel was...fine. Rainy Day was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 37May 6, 2021 12:48 AM

Pedo or not, Woody has no boundaries and he’s morally bankrupt. Next.

by Anonymousreply 38May 6, 2021 1:21 AM

R21 that has never been alleged. Even if he did molest Dylan — any workplace reports have been of him totally hands off.

That said, I don’t watch his films anymore — the last film of his I liked was Deconstructing Harry.

by Anonymousreply 39May 6, 2021 1:56 AM

r35 Gosh I was convinced it would be a 1990s film that you selected !!

r36 r37 Rainy day is one I havent seen but I was considering ordering it from Amazon but I went for midnight in paris and You will meet a tall dark stranger first.The latter film seems to be not highly rated but I thought it was quite good but then I havent seen most of his films so I am not comparing with full knowledge.Perhaps if I saw the other films first The dark stranger film would seem jaded and poor.

I was tempted by his 1998 film Celebrity but was put off when I saw Donald trump made an appearance in it!! would you recommend Hannah and her sisters or the film he made with Bette Midler?

I know he hired Jude Law in one of his more recent films and I like Jude so will likely buy that one in my next batch of 3 or 4 dvds online.

by Anonymousreply 40May 6, 2021 2:13 AM

[quote]would you recommend Hannah and her sisters or the film he made with Bette Midler?

Definitely see HANNAH AND HER SISTERS if you never have. You may not love it as much as some people, but it's widely regarded as one of his finest films, and there are some great performances in it.

Woody Allen only acted in SCENES FROM A MALL (1991) with Bette Midler. Paul Mazursky wrote and directed it. It's an oddity... best forgotten, IMHO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 6, 2021 3:56 AM

Woody's most underrated film, I think, is Manhattan Murder Mystery. It's very funny, it's great seeing Allen and Keaton back together again (and they play off each other beautifully) and Anjelica Huston and Alan Alda are fantastic support. The best thing is that, for a mystery, it's very re-watchable. I've seen it several times and it never fails to delight me.

I would say my 5 fave Woody films are (in order) Purple Rose of Cairo, Manhattan, Broadway Danny Rose, Crimes and Misdemeanors and Manhattan Murder Mystery.

by Anonymousreply 42May 6, 2021 4:31 AM

My favorites in order:

Crimes and Misdemeanors

Another Woman

Manhattan Murder Mystery

Purple Rose of Cairo

Hannah and Her Sisters

Radio Days

Interiors

Manhattan

Small Time Crooks

Bananas

by Anonymousreply 43May 6, 2021 5:10 AM

IDK if he's guilty of anything but fucking his teenage stepdaughter (which is, admittedly, icky), but I do know the smart move would have been for him to retire after the success of Blue Jasmine. Go out on a high note and leave Mia and Ronan with nothing new to talk about: They can't beat the dead horse about how wrong it is that Woody's still in the industry if he is retired from the industry.

by Anonymousreply 44May 6, 2021 5:26 AM

Allen's latest film, Rifkin's Festival, is a tiny little movie that was only released in Spain. It would have been the fourth of his five-picture deal with Amazon if they hadn't dropped him over the abuse allegations. I wonder if he's determined to finish those 5 movies and then, perhaps, retire. The next film will be his 50th, and finishing the five movies would let him go out on his own terms. Anyway, he may as well retire soon, as it's unlikely he'll get another studio deal.

by Anonymousreply 45May 6, 2021 5:35 AM

Hopefully never. He's fucking repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2021 5:36 AM

Here's critic Chuck Bowen on Rifkin's Festival:

[quote] Decades into his iconic career, Woody Allen is still fixated on wannabe intellectual artists obsessively grappling with the meaninglessness of life as they have dalliances with much younger women who’re yearning for passion. That scenario was curdling into shtick some 40 years ago, but it at least felt personal to Allen in his salad days, when he was determined to fuse the existential agony of the films made by his heroes with his own scrappy, impertinent stand-up spirit. Now Allen is seemingly filming whatever writing spills from his typewriter, which is more often than not a copy of a copy of a copy of past hits, material so anachronistic and contrived that it feels closer to ritual than art.

I agree that Allen's style is totally ossified. Whatever he's guilty of, he hasn't made a really interesting film in years and should hang it up. He's in his 80s, everybody is tired of his shtick, and his reputation is tarnished so badly no studio wants to take him on. It's too late to retire gracefully, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't retire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 6, 2021 5:41 AM

His broken spirit shows in his later films. The light hearted ones are forced and have no edge. That’s what comes from sinning, folks. Maybe he should turn catholic and do some serious confessionals. What religion is his wife?

by Anonymousreply 48May 6, 2021 6:54 AM

I agree! Just look at all of my work since working with Woody. ScarJo who? Emma what? Cate as if? They’re just losers, I am the queen of wokeness with my two (living, biological?) children.

by Anonymousreply 49May 6, 2021 7:06 AM

[quote]His broken spirit shows in his later films.

You see that in Manhattan Murder Mystery onward. It was so lame & he flew in Diane (to replace Mia) to recreate some of the old magic and it just wasn't there.

by Anonymousreply 50May 6, 2021 7:10 AM

Ronan & Mia & Dylan are all attempting to medal in the great American pastime of the 21st Century, The Victimhood Olympics. Their allegations are hogwash, as any thorough reading of the evidence and context will show.

That being said, age and a decline in quality probably meant Woody was nearing his end as a working artist anyway.

by Anonymousreply 51May 6, 2021 7:23 AM

I was shocked (but not surprised) at A Rainy Day in New York. it very well may be Allen's most tin eared movie. He has no idea how anyone under 60 acts.

by Anonymousreply 52May 6, 2021 7:46 AM

Of all those accused by many people of sexual crimes Woody Allen's case is uniquely different: He may be innocent.

by Anonymousreply 53May 6, 2021 7:55 AM

R52 I like Elle Fanning in general, but her character was written like she had severe brain damage. She should fire whoever on her team passed her that script. Selena was surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 54May 6, 2021 5:23 PM

R47 I wonder if that critic was among those who lauded Allen for Midnight in Paris. That film was really mediocre, but the public and the press both gave it undue praise and that only encouraged Allen to make more tone-deaf films. He should have retired long ago, and he should have had the good sense not to piss off Mia Farrow because her brand of vengeance is the kind one doesn't recover from.

by Anonymousreply 55May 6, 2021 5:33 PM

R55 I've said on other threads that Mia's best revenge would be getting his recent shitty movies wider releases. Rainy Day not getting a real US release was a win for Woody. What a piece of shit. -R54

by Anonymousreply 56May 6, 2021 5:37 PM

[quote] [R52] I like Elle Fanning in general, but her character was written like she had severe brain damage. She should fire whoever on her team passed her that script. Selena was surprisingly good.

I think Elle Fanning always seems like she's got brain damage. She is a rotten fucking actress. Dakota is so much more talented, yet everyone is creaming over Elle. I don't get it.

And I agree re: Selena. I am certainly familiar with her from all the news about her, but oddly, this was the first time I've ever seen her act and she was a breath of (much needed) fresh air in that film. She wasn't amazing or anything (but she didn't really have much to do). However, she's got a ton of charisma and star quality, made you sit up and take notice of her, and I'd be very interested to see her in a role with some substance.

by Anonymousreply 57May 6, 2021 6:11 PM

Top 5 Woody: Manhattan, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Love & Death, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Another Woman

by Anonymousreply 58May 6, 2021 6:20 PM

r42 Manhattan Murder Mystery wasn't underrated. It was universally critically acclaimed, had great word of mouth and is viewed in same league as Bullets over Broadway and Husbands and Wives in terms of his 1990s masterworks

by Anonymousreply 59May 7, 2021 1:40 AM

[quote]He may be innocent.

Mia...Where were you when everyone was looking for you?

Woody............crickets..................

by Anonymousreply 60May 7, 2021 9:22 AM

r41 Thanks for the strong Hannah and her sisters endorsement and clearing up my confusion about the Bette Miller film.

by Anonymousreply 61May 7, 2021 10:06 AM

Alec Baldwin has said he would do another film with Woody but Alec has a dozen little kids to put through college now.

by Anonymousreply 62May 7, 2021 10:12 AM

Alec is hardly turning down roles with other prestigious directors....

Or any acting jobs at all, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 63May 7, 2021 2:34 PM

Who cares? He's a pedophile and his movies suck, they ALL suck (even the ones his toadying fans have deemed masterpieces).

He's only considered an auteur because his films are so jewy and NYC-centric.

by Anonymousreply 64May 7, 2021 3:07 PM

r63 I thought Alec was a hugely popular actor?

by Anonymousreply 65May 7, 2021 3:45 PM

He's in his mid-80s. It's time for him to retire anyway--he had a good long run.

by Anonymousreply 66May 7, 2021 3:47 PM

Most directors have said everything they have to say by the time they reach 70. Late-in-life masterpieces are rare, Altman's Gosford Park being one of the only examples I can think of. I know the critics lauded Scorsese's The Irishman, but I thought it was deadly dull. Allen would have done well to hang it up after Blue Jasmine, finishing with the business before the business was finished with him.

by Anonymousreply 67May 7, 2021 3:52 PM

R67 Before The Devil Knows you’re Dead is another (Lumet). That said, I agree I don’t think Woody has anything left to say and hasn’t for a while.

Also, did he either have a stroke, or is going blind? Something has looked wrong/off with one of his eyes for a while - like it’s suddenly much lower and half the size.

by Anonymousreply 68May 7, 2021 6:34 PM

I really enjoyed Another Woman. Why isn't Gena Rowlands a gay icon?

R59, people who weren't around when a movie came out and discover it decades later always call it "underrated." That's because their friends haven't heard of it. Same with actors, they'll say things like "Barbara Stanwyck was soooo underrated."

by Anonymousreply 69May 7, 2021 10:16 PM

Bitch, I said it was underrated and I saw it in the theater the week it opened, so you don't know what the hell you're even talking about.

by Anonymousreply 70May 8, 2021 1:54 AM

[quote]I really enjoyed Another Woman. Why isn't Gena Rowlands a gay icon?

She's a really bad actress. SO over-rated...along with her late husband's draggy over-rated movies.

by Anonymousreply 71May 8, 2021 3:22 AM

You're an idiot, R71.

by Anonymousreply 72May 8, 2021 3:24 AM

[quote]You're an idiot, [R71].

That's the best you can do? who's the idiot, stupid?

by Anonymousreply 73May 8, 2021 3:26 AM

It's all anyone is worth who believes Mia.

by Anonymousreply 74May 8, 2021 3:49 AM

[quote]It's all anyone is worth who believes Mia.

You can't even speak English.

by Anonymousreply 75May 8, 2021 3:55 AM

You keep proving my point about you being an idiot. You should probably stop before you embarrass yourself further.

by Anonymousreply 76May 8, 2021 4:00 AM

Prior to ‘blue jasmine’ his films were becoming more like travelogues and the characters just became so tedious. I went through a stage of enthusiastically watching all his films but I haven’t had much interest in watching much of his since ‘blue jasmine’, I just feel they all became so formulaic..

by Anonymousreply 77May 8, 2021 4:09 AM

Irrational Man is intriguing for those who say Woody is spent... just the denouement alone is much more violent, visceral and interesting than anything he had done until then. I was reminded of Cassandra’s Dream, which has its own virtues, though derided at the time. If you don’t want to watch, then don’t, but to out of hand cancel Woody is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 78May 8, 2021 5:18 AM

I think mine are-

Radio Days

Another Woman

The Purple Rose of Cairo

Bullets Over Broadway

Manhattan Murder Mystery

by Anonymousreply 79May 8, 2021 7:59 AM

Nobody like his Rome or Barcelona set films with Penelope Cruz?

by Anonymousreply 80May 8, 2021 11:16 AM

If I had to pick three... 1. Zelig. 2. Crimes And Misdemeanors. 3. Purple Rose of Cairo.

by Anonymousreply 81May 8, 2021 11:26 AM

[quote]with Penelope Cruz?

HARD pass

by Anonymousreply 82May 8, 2021 11:30 AM

His sole Best Picture Oscar-winner, Annie Hall, remains one of my all-time favorite movies. Crimes and Misdemeanors is his masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 83May 8, 2021 11:41 AM

[quote]They sent Satchel to therapy because he was a mincing queen

If anyone had any doubts that the pro-Woody trolls were rightwingers using the topic as a means to cause disruption, R27 should prove it to you beyond any doubt, not just because of the homophobia and lies but because of the 10 WWs. They always over-WW themselves to try to make it look like they have support.

They don't realize that people who aren't logged in can't even see the WWs. Only DLers who are logged in can see them, and everyone knows by now which troll posts are self-WWed and which organically get WWs from actual users.

Satchel was not sent to a therapist because he acted gay. That is entirely invented by the crazies who defend Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 84May 8, 2021 11:41 AM

[quote]Satchel was not sent to a therapist because he acted gay. That is entirely invented by the crazies who defend Woody Allen.

No, MIA wrote about it in her book and it was on Woody's insistence.

You Mary need to stop commenting.

by Anonymousreply 85May 8, 2021 11:52 AM

[quote]I am uneasy about the fact that he has been comprehensively cancelled on the basis of allegations which have never been proven in court

He went for DECADES getting Oscars and movie contracts and glowing reviews for tons of movies before he was sort-of, kind-of cancelled. That's hardly a "comprehensive cancellation" and it's embarrassing that you think it was.

Every single person here knows damn well that he wouldn't have been "cancelled" if his movies weren't shit these days. Blue Jasmine won undeserved praise because people in the industry and critics and the usual soft MRA types were desperate for something to laud him for; in truth, Blue Jasmine is a terrible Tennessee Williams adaptation with all the heart and soul ripped out of the story, stupid food-based names given to the main characters for no damn reason, and a lot of biographical bits added in that Woody included to make himself look like a victim in real life.

He was pandering to his defenders to get that one last bit of glory, got it, but he didn't have the sense to bow out once he got it. But when has he ever? He could have ended this all in the 1990s by saying he did not molest Dylan, he understood now how sleeping with his kids' adopted sister during some family turmoil was a bad idea, and he hopes to repair his relationship with his kids and will work on trying to keep a relationship with them in some way.

Instead, he kept sending huge packets of stuff to Dylan after she asked him not to contact her, kept telling various kids he was going to cut them off for beind disloyal, launched a major PR offensive that called their mother an insane abusive brainwashing psychopath, wrote numerous books with nasty rumors and lies about his own kids, and has spent years basically trolling his former family by adding those biographical bits into his films and even making sure he signed on specifically with Ronan's publisher, just to upset him.

The kind of people who laud that kind of behavior are, in general, the maladjusted rightwingers who have screwed up ideas about family, the "immigrant kids dying in our custody is what those damn illegals deserve" and "the royal family needs to ruin Harry for being a traitor" types.

That's why so many of the pro-Woody posts are crazy conspiracies full of lies. This case has attracted that kind of person from the beginning, it ticks a lot of boxes for the men's rights crowd, the homophobes, the whiny old guys constantly hollering about "the woke."

by Anonymousreply 86May 8, 2021 11:57 AM

I watched "A Rainy Day in New York" the other day, found it quite charming. I guess that was the last project before everything hit the fan and some of the actors I think disavowed. It's a shame, because it was always fun to see whom Woody would cast, and watch him bring out unexpectedly good performances, like with Andrew Dice Clay. I think most showbiz and many creative people are all fucked up personally, but I have no problem appreciating their art.

by Anonymousreply 87May 8, 2021 12:03 PM

[quote]You Mary need to stop commenting.

It's weird that you keep screaming at others that they don't know how to speak English, when the vast majority of your posts read like this.

The person I was quoting said Mia sent Satchel to therapy because she's Catholic and hates gays. You say the book says Mia said Woody wanted Satchel to go to therapy because Woody didn't want a gay son.

You do see the difference there, right?

Besides, Woody may have wanted to send his son to a therapist to get the gay out of him, but that's not why Satchel was ultimately sent to Dr. Susan Coates.

by Anonymousreply 88May 8, 2021 12:07 PM

[quote]It's weird that you keep screaming at others that they don't know how to speak English,

I didn't scream at ANYONE. I stood up for myself against a retarded troll who called me an idiot.

[quote]You say the book says Mia said Woody wanted Satchel to go to therapy because Woody didn't want a gay son.

No I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 89May 8, 2021 12:13 PM

[quote]Bitch, I said it was underrated and I saw it in the theater the week it opened...

People always blow a gasket when someone calls them out for calling something "underrated."

by Anonymousreply 90May 8, 2021 3:24 PM

I just watched Rainy Day in New York, and I liked it more than most movies, partially because Tim O'Tay is the star, but also because his uncredited co-star is New York. They even shot on a block in the Village where I used to live, E. 10th Street and University Place, where Jude Law's wife is coming out of Lipschitz's apartment.

I used to tryst there BITD with a fuckbuddy who had one of the ten largest cocks I've ever sucked. He was a bottom, however, at least with me, so I didn't get to enjoy him fully. But it was nice being taken back to the Village for an hour (or however long it was). Plus all the other New York locations.

by Anonymousreply 91May 8, 2021 3:31 PM

R39, you are WRONG. You must have missed the article in the NY Times of a few years ago describing this kind of behavior from most all directors, including Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 92May 8, 2021 3:52 PM

Ok I’ll bite. How did woody burn Amazon with that tv series?

by Anonymousreply 93May 8, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote]I stood up for myself against a retarded troll who called me an idiot.

You got pissy with me but I'm not the one who called you an idiot, r85. I didn't say anything to you, I was responding to the homophobic rightwinger earlier in the thread.

by Anonymousreply 94May 8, 2021 4:29 PM

[quote] People always blow a gasket when someone calls them out for calling something "underrated."

People always get defensive when they're called out on being wrong.

by Anonymousreply 95May 8, 2021 4:49 PM

[quote] You got pissy with me but I'm not the one who called you an idiot, [R85].

I called you an idiot, R85, and clearly you haven't learned your lesson.

by Anonymousreply 96May 8, 2021 4:49 PM

I'm getting confused about who called who an idiot now. There was an idiot calling me an idiot. Idiots always call people stupid or idiot. & he was clearly an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 97May 8, 2021 4:53 PM

[quote] I'm getting confused about who called who an idiot now.

What a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 98May 8, 2021 4:59 PM

Knock it the fuck off with that who called who an idiot, idiot!

by Anonymousreply 99May 8, 2021 7:57 PM

Rainy Day was god awful.

by Anonymousreply 100May 8, 2021 8:00 PM

[quote]Knock it the fuck off with that who called who an idiot, idiot!

Who are you, you're not the boss of me...you can fuck off yourself...bossy queen.

by Anonymousreply 101May 8, 2021 9:09 PM

R101 = Very damaged and addicted to Rx drugs

by Anonymousreply 102May 9, 2021 1:19 AM

R102 = retarded and chronic masturbater

by Anonymousreply 103May 9, 2021 5:16 AM

Hey, when you block the 'idiot' trolls, the thread picks right up again.

by Anonymousreply 104May 9, 2021 5:32 AM

I love Annie Hall and Bullets, but I've never warmed to any of the other Allen pictures I've seen. I really don't see the big deal about Purple Rose of Cairo.

by Anonymousreply 105May 9, 2021 5:33 AM

My favorite of his films is Crimes and Misdemeanors, r105.

by Anonymousreply 106May 9, 2021 5:36 AM

I wish he’d make a film called Dylan Farrow: Big Fat Whore and cast Matt Lucas as Dylan, Jane Horracks as Ronan and Godzilla as Mia.

by Anonymousreply 107May 9, 2021 5:52 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 108May 9, 2021 5:53 AM

Woody is old as hell and rich as hell. He should self-finance his last film and make it a scathing rebuttal to Mia and Ronan. Hold it from release until after his death, and you know the film will make a fortune and get a ton of publicity. He can go to his grave giving two big middle fingers up to his ex and his son. Ronan, Mia, and Dylan will whine to the press, but Woody will be dead and won't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 109May 9, 2021 6:11 AM

[quote]Mia should be in jail for what she's done. She makes me glad [bold]Eva Braun never gave birth.[/bold]

Says who? Mia was born on February 9, 1945. Eva didn't die until April 30 the same year.

by Anonymousreply 110May 9, 2021 12:27 PM

I don’t believe the accusations and love his movies but it’s time to retire. His last few movies were ok but not great.

by Anonymousreply 111May 9, 2021 12:49 PM

He might still have a few more films in him.

by Anonymousreply 112May 9, 2021 12:55 PM

Exactly, R109. And Soon-Yi can promote it.

by Anonymousreply 113May 9, 2021 12:56 PM

r111 Wasn't Cafe society critically acclaimed?

by Anonymousreply 114May 9, 2021 1:03 PM

[quote]He should self-finance his last film and make it a scathing rebuttal to Mia and Ronan.

Another one?

[quote]Hold it from release until after his death, and you know the film will make a fortune and get a ton of publicity.

Publicity probably, but none of his films have done well financially for a long time, except Midnight in Paris and Blue Jasmine. He often doesn't even break even.

[quote]Woody will be dead and won't give a shit.

So what's the point of this elaborate plan again, if Woody will be dead and not give a shit?

He has a wife and kids, why would he want to subject them to the kind of media scrutiny they would get if he released a posthumous film that was all "fuck Mia and Ronan and Dylan all to hell the motherfuckers blah blah blah" after he died? What a shitty thing to do. What a dumb revenge fantasy this is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115May 9, 2021 1:03 PM

[quote]Woody is old as hell and rich as hell. He should self-finance his last film and make it a scathing rebuttal to Mia and Ronan. Hold it from release until after his death...

And who is going to finance the release? Netflix is going to buy it? That's a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 116May 9, 2021 3:11 PM

I have stopped watching his movies decades ago. Even Blue Jasmine was terribly overrated, he has no feel for any other city than NY, the Guido bros seemed tonally so false.

by Anonymousreply 117May 9, 2021 3:25 PM

Woody should ghost write. And stay the hell off the screen as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 118May 9, 2021 3:48 PM

I agree that by the late 1990s his screenplays had become very stale and irrelevant.

But when he was still at the top of his game few writers or directors could match him in regards to making compelling films that were simply about human relationships and all the complexities surrounding them. No action, no violence, and very little sex... just good dialogue and great performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 9, 2021 4:26 PM

He's been BO poison for years and hasn't made a film I'd want to see in decades. After the success of the overrated Hannah and Her Sisters in 1986 he followed with:

September, Another Woman, Alice, Shadows and Fog, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Everyone Says I Love You, Deconstructing Harry, Celebrity, Sweet and Lowdown, Mighty Aphrodite, The Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Small Time Crooks, Husbands and Wives, Hollywood Ending, Vicki Cristina Barcelona, Anything Else, Melinda and Melinda, Match point, Scoop, Cassandra's Dream, Whatever Works, You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, Midnight in Paris, To Rome with Love, Magic in the Moonlight, Irrational Man, Cafe Society, Wonder Wheel, A Rainy Day in New York, Rifkin's Festival (2020)

That's a whole lot of nothing!

by Anonymousreply 120May 9, 2021 4:58 PM

He'll keeping working in any way he can, for as long as he can. It obviously keeps him going. And we all know how he feels about his mortality.

by Anonymousreply 121May 9, 2021 5:01 PM

I believe Deconstructing Harry was his final masterpiece. Blue Jasmine was surprisingly good, but still short of greatness.

by Anonymousreply 122May 9, 2021 6:16 PM

[quote]I used to tryst there BITD with a fuckbuddy who had one of the ten largest cocks I've ever sucked. He was a bottom, however, at least with me, so I didn't get to enjoy him fully. But it was nice being taken back to the Village for an hour (or however long it was). Plus all the other New York locations.

Oh the nostalgia. I bet your family loves when you go down Memory Lane for them at Sunday dinners.

by Anonymousreply 123May 10, 2021 10:13 PM

r122 Cate Blanchett was divine in the role. Still cant believe Gwyneth got the best actress oscar over her!

by Anonymousreply 124May 16, 2021 12:08 AM

About to watch Wonder Wheel.

by Anonymousreply 125May 17, 2021 6:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!