Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When Covid restrictions are finally lifted where I am I've decided to go to more concerts and theatre BY MYSELF!

I've been wanting to do this for a very very very long time. I've been afraid to looked like I was lonely without friends but the reality is I'm not. I just want to do things without any ties to anyone or anything. I've missed out on so many things because I thought I needed to do it with friends or family. I don't!

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2021 5:07 PM

no one gives a fuck

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 5:06 PM

r1 = poo shoes

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 5:08 PM

OP, yes you can go by yourself, but will you enjoy it as much without someone else?

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 5:10 PM

I've gone to concerts/plays a lot by myself pre-Covid which was met with a lot of ridiculous side eyes. I'm not going to miss out on things simply because none of my friends or family have an interest. I'm not going to see them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 5:16 PM

Honey do it. I did just that in 2019 around here. Sure, my roommate is great, but there were plenty of times I explored the city and Budapest alone. At first, I took a tablet, a book or my phone but after while I just didn't care and noticed others came alone too. Great way to meet people too. Once I even got lucky and hooked up so there's that. It's great to try the food, take in a show and just be alone with your thoughts and experience. It's pretty common in Western Europe. I would see loads of women alone at various restaurants or wondering around museums not giving a damn or looking sad and lonely. Our puritanical society and eastern societies look down on that...Paris, and hell, even the gay-friendly cafe here in this Romanian city is full of elegant young girls and men who are enjoying a glass of wine, reading a book and bother to dress up and go out by themselves and take a break. My sister can't wait to come when restrictions lift.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 5:17 PM

Do it OP. I love it. I see what I want when I want. If I want to leave I leave. No one else's drama bleeds into my time. That's not to say I don't enjoy doing things with other people at times but the older I get, the less I can tolerate other people

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 5:17 PM

As some of you have already said doing something on your timeline is great. Waiting for others to get in together can be exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 5:21 PM

[quote] No one else's drama bleeds into my time.

Are you a writer, R6? That's an impressive line.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 5:24 PM

Absolutely do it. My husband & I moved to a new area a year and a half ago, and one reason for me was all the live music. My husband is not interested at all, and I started going to shows by myself years ago. I'd rather be there and enjoy myself than worry about bringing someone else.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 5:24 PM

R4 I used to go to concerts by myself because I liked music that none of my friends liked, the crowds were chaotic enough no one could tell I was alone.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 5:58 PM

you must not live in NYC. We go to movies and theater by ourselves all the time.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 6:01 PM

correct, r11.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 6:19 PM

Yay, OP! I’ve gone to the galleries and museums here in DC by myself for years. It’s wonderful, and not unusual. I’m still a little loathe to eat by myself, unless I’m sitting at the bar or outside at a cafe - but I expect that after COVID I may even get over that.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 6:19 PM

[quote]you can go by yourself, but will you enjoy it as much without someone else?

Definitely yes. Especially if you liked the show and the people you're with didn't, you don't have to put up with them bitching about it.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 6:23 PM

Good for you OP. No need for you to miss out. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 7:49 PM

I used to go by myself all the time OP. Totally worth it. You get to enjoy it on your own and don't have to coordinate with other people.

DO IT.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 7:53 PM

OP - I hope you make good of your statement. There are too many times where a concert or play or musical came through and I missed it, only for it to be the last tour or the last this or that.

I always remember travel, concerts and theater. All other amusements don't stay with me like these do - rarely do I recall film plots well, what I ate at fine restaurants, the taste of expensive wine, the feel of luxurious linens in expensive hotel rooms. Maybe it's just me.

But because I remember these events (travel, concerts, theater) more than anything else, that's what I want my life's memories to be filled with. I hope that doesn't sound too precious.

Anybody else like me?

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 7:57 PM

R17 - I am exactly the same. I rarely remember planned stuff. The experiences like travel, concerts, opera stay with me. Also, random moments of life...not the commercialized holidays, but the small encounters and details in a place, the smell, the taste, the feel. These are memories that make life worth it.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 8:49 PM

Here is a good example of missing out if I can't find someone to go with. I was a little kid when the Monkees reruns were playing in the early 70's. My oldest brother who is 6 years older had their records. I loved them. There's only two of them left so I'm not missing out on this. It will probably be the first concert alone if something doesn't come up before. I can't wait!

I know it's laughable for many here but they were my childhood favorite. I'M GOING! I don't care what they sound like now. If they are close sounding then that's just icing on the cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 9:12 PM

You can usually score a great theatre ticket or concert ticket because there are singles in the best parts of the facility!

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 9:32 PM

---------

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2021 11:16 PM

yummy!

by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2021 2:18 AM

I've gone to many shows by myself. Never let that stop you. It's your life, do what you want to do and enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2021 2:21 AM

I used to all the time. Now that I’m older I feel very self conscious. Always surrounded by much younger people.

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2021 2:48 AM

Alone in the dark. It's fine.

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2021 3:26 AM

R24 Don't let that bother you. The young people don't even notice you

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2021 11:23 AM

OP, you are a strong woman!

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2021 11:33 AM

R27 - bitch you forgot "trans" and "of color". So OP can orgasm from the extra self-righteousness.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2021 4:57 PM

r28 = Bipolar mental case.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2021 5:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!