Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Sissy Spacek Considered Attractive?

She always looked like methed-out trailer trash to me.

by Anonymousreply 52May 6, 2021 5:39 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 4:29 PM

She was bloody sexy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 4:32 PM

Bad nose job.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 4:32 PM

I thought that was her natural nose r3 ....

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 4:33 PM

The late 60s and early 70s prized white hippie-ish chicks like Spacek, Barbara Hershey, Daria Halprin, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 4:34 PM

Well...she IS from small town Texas, haha

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 5:03 PM

I loved her in Badlands.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 5:06 PM

Barbara Hershey is a funny one. I sometimes find her really attractive like in ‘the stunt man’ and ‘the right stuff’ and other times I barely recognise her ‘shy people’.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 5:15 PM

No, R4, she got (bad) rhinoplasty early on

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 5:17 PM

Sissy must have gone to DL Fave Nanette Fabray's plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 6:36 PM

She wasn’t ugly but she was no great beauty either.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2021 1:38 AM

I LOVE Sissy’s high school yearbook picture! She morphed into a completely different person.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2021 2:13 AM

Farm charm. Freckles and pug nose. Girl next door.

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2021 2:20 AM

She was famous in a time people went to movies and wanted to watch people that could actually act. That's probably before your time, OP.

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2021 3:08 AM

She’s butt ugly

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2021 3:10 AM

R5, don’t forget Shelley Duvall.

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2021 3:15 AM

She robbed Olivia of a Best Actress Oscar. Anyone can play a 13 year old country singer. Try playing Terpsichore, one of the nine muses! On roller skates!

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2021 3:19 AM

R14 = Glenn

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2021 11:57 AM

Look at Margot Kidder in Superman, she would never be cast today

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2021 1:48 PM

My straight brother always had a crush on Spacek. But (and I’m not trying to mean here), he always had a thing for fragile, breakable if not already emotionally broken girls.

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2021 1:58 PM

R19-Why?

She wouldn't be considered PRETTY

by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2021 2:03 PM

I don't think she looks like methed-out trailer trash at all. She looks like a burn victim.

by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2021 2:04 PM

Apparently she is way more beautiful in real life than in what the camera catches. Some people are just that way.

Anyway, I prefer Spacek over all home comptemporaries as she is much more low key and natural. One can barely notice her acting.

by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2021 2:08 PM

She is not that old. She could definitely nab a good role and get another Oscar nomination. Why doesn't she act more? It sure must get boring on a Texas farm.

Many successful actresses from the late 70's/80's should and could start stealing Meryl's roles.

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2021 2:14 PM

I'd like to see Sissy in a good HBO series.

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2021 2:18 PM

R17 She robbed Mary Tyler Moore for Ordinary People!

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2021 2:30 PM

She had a big arc on BIG LOVE. I don’t know if it was her, or the writing or just bad casting, but she was kind of awful.

OTOH, I thought she was great on CASTLE ROCK.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2021 4:12 PM

r24 She lives in Virginia, not Texas.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2021 4:22 PM

Even for DL, this thread is remarkably boorish. She has given remarkable performances in remarkable movies. And her look is her own. What is she supposed to be, Ann-Margret? She's not Ann-Margret.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2021 4:23 PM

Great actress, Bad movie star.

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2021 4:36 PM

I think the camera liked her, but the main thing was she was/is a very good actress. It wasn't all about looks then.

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2021 4:38 PM

She's remarkable in Carrie. She really becomes that wounded, shy, wallflower so well that when she finally gets all dressed up for the prom, she's incredibly stunning. It's a brilliant transformation. I always thought she looked radiant in the prom scenes. Pre-pig's blood of course.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2021 4:54 PM

Only a blind person would ask that question.

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2021 4:58 PM

Her performance in the first half of Coal Miner's Daughter (pre-fame) is extraordinary. Everything in that first half is stellar, for that matter, Tommy Lee Jones included. The stuff where Loretta's famous is more boring, but that's pretty much the case with any bio-movie; nothing to do with SS's talent.

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2021 5:23 PM

She was dolled up in the movie “Heartbeat”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2021 5:42 PM

She was never a sex symbol, but she wasn't ugly, either. R31 is correct; she's photogenic. She has a fragile and flighty quality that her looks amplify. She has "an interesting face" and that is not meant as a put down. She can be pretty, and she often is when she appears on television or is photographed out of character, but the characters she often plays aren't meant to be "pretty" or conventionally attractive.

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2021 6:10 PM

There was a movie she did called Trading Mom where she played 4 different women and one of them was a snooty French woman and I'm not sure if it was just makeup or if they gave her some sort of prosthetic, but she did look really beautiful. Almost like she was trying to channel Catherine Deneuve.

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2021 7:33 PM

I thought she looked good in The Night Of. She probably looks the least weird as a 60 something year old woman.

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2021 7:35 PM

At least she's appeared to let her face age normally. I applaud her for that. I think those character actress types like her have an easier go of it since they might have been attractive, but didn't really rely on their looks for most of their career.

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2021 7:43 PM

R26 no. Mary was grand & all that. Giving her an oscar for playing a depressed WASP?!? No. Olivia all the way.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2021 9:26 PM

I think she's attractive in a quiet way. She looks like country folk.

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2021 9:30 PM

Her appeal has always been that she looks like many average, normal folks from down south. I could see her being my teacher or aunt or friend's mom. That's a great quality for an actor to have. Tom Hanks has something very similar.

by Anonymousreply 42May 6, 2021 12:29 AM

She was good in the Netflix series Bloodline though her nose/nostrils are distracting.

by Anonymousreply 43May 6, 2021 1:57 AM

She is like Mia Farrow in that she can look plain or beautiful depending on the styling. She was not attracted to glamorous roles, however, so barely did any.

She was briefly a model with the Ford Agency and did one ad for Chanel before scoring as an actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 6, 2021 2:17 AM

Uncle Rip Torn and Aunt Geraldine probably helped a bit. Must have been weird for Sissy to win the Oscar before Ms. Page though. No more Sunday dinners.

by Anonymousreply 45May 6, 2021 4:11 PM

PEOPLE once put her on the cover as "Most Beautiful" in Hollywood and the letters came pouring in: "No way". Bisset, for one, was at her peak.

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2021 4:12 PM

I think she has always had an interesting look. The nose bob was obvious but I admire her for not reaching to make it perfect yet against again. It helped define her in a way. On screen she has a bit of a waif-like, alien look going on. But she’s quite lovely in real life and she has aged very well and had an excellent and natural looking facelift. I got to know her in Virginia a while back. Very kind and funny and her husband is a great guy. Down to earth and chill family.

by Anonymousreply 47May 6, 2021 4:32 PM

^not “against” ...oops.

by Anonymousreply 48May 6, 2021 4:33 PM

R47 Damn, jealous!

by Anonymousreply 49May 6, 2021 4:34 PM

[quote]R46 Bisset, for one, was at her peak.

She is one of the most beautiful actresses ever, even if her personality’s a bit... quiet. (I was first going to say drab, but I think she’s just private.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 6, 2021 5:21 PM

Bisset's acting really improved later in her career; Spacek was always an excellent actress.

by Anonymousreply 51May 6, 2021 5:35 PM

She says being only 5'2" didn't help her modelling career. Cicely Tyson was the same height, and worked for years as a print model.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 6, 2021 5:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!