Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

American Airlines passenger attacks attendant: 'Cops aren't going to do anything to me'

An attendant was allegedly assaulted on a flight from Miami to New York City.

According to reports, a passenger on an American Airlines flight struck one of the flight attendants multiples times midway through the flight on Sunday. The attack was allegedly sparked after the passenger got into a dispute with attendants over garbage.

The passenger followed a separate flight attendant to the crew area of the plane to complain about garbage not being picked up, according to court documents obtained by Fox News. When the passenger began yelling at one flight attendant, another airline worker was called in for help. When the second flight attendant attempted to separate the two, the passenger allegedly claimed that the attendant had pushed her. The passenger is accused of punching the flight attendant and pulling her hair.

The two were then reportedly separated, and the suspect apparently continued to argue with another passenger. At one point, the suspect approached the flight attendant again and allegedly attacked her a second time. At one point, the suspect allegedly claimed that the "cops aren't going to do anything to me."

One of the other flight attendants on the plane reportedly asked the pilot to land the plane, but the pilot was unable to comply at the moment. Fortunately, an off-duty New York police officer was reportedly on the plane and helped restrain the suspect.

The plane landed at its intended destination, JFK airport, where authorities reportedly were waiting.

The court documents identify the suspect as Chenasia I. Campbell. She was reportedly taken into custody and is facing charges of interfering with a flight crew, which is a federal offense, NBC New York reports.

Campbell is reportedly a Brooklyn resident and is currently unemployed. She previously worked for the Office of People with Developmental Disabilities.

In a virtual hearing on Monday afternoon, Campbell was released on $15,000 bail. Prosecutors also asked that she undergo a mental health evaluation and random drug testing, although her defense attorney replied that Campbell had already been in a mental health program prior to this case.

The flight attendant sustained scrapes to the arm and cheek, bruises on her forehead and leg and a swollen hand, according to the court documents. She was evaluated by medical professionals but reportedly refused further medical assistance.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 5:40 PM

[quote]according to court documents obtained by Fox News.

I wonder what possible reason Fox News would have to publicize this story?

Whatever could it be?

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 3:11 PM

Regardless r1 that doesn’t change the fact this incident happened.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 3:13 PM

We support our law enforcement, except when they tell ME what to do. How dare they? The cops are supposed to bother other people! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 3:16 PM

[quote] Campbell is reportedly a Brooklyn resident and is currently unemployed. She previously worked for the Office of People with Developmental Disabilities.

Chenasia is a former employee and a proud graduate!

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 3:24 PM

[quote] ... her defense attorney replied that Campbell had already been in a mental health program prior to this case.

Girl's got a pattern going.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 3:26 PM

[quote] The passenger followed a separate flight attendant to the crew area of the plane to complain about garbage not being picked up.

What garbage is on an airplane? Peanut wrappers? How much garbage can be generated between Miami and NYC?

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 3:33 PM

[quote] What garbage is on an airplane? Peanut wrappers? How much garbage can be generated between Miami and NYC?

You clearly haven't flown recently.

The airlines were basically serving NOTHING. So people started bringing their own food and drinks from the airport, on to the plane.

Sodas, Coffee, Water Bottles, Hamburgers, Sandwiches, Pizzas, Salads, Snacks, Desserts, etc.

I have seen flight attendants walking down the aisles with huge garbage bags filled with garbage. And some airlines make them separate their recyclables from the garbage, so they're carrying TWO big bags of garbage down the aisle.

Flight attendants now have to not only do their original job, but they have also become law enforcement officers and sanitation workers, as well.

It's a pretty sad state of travel right now.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 3:37 PM

r1, race card player, here's a story about a white passenger arrested for bad behavior on an airline.

Virgin Atlantic passenger spared jail despite drunken attack at 40,000ft

Josh Payne, 26 April 2021

A first-class airline passenger who shouted “I hope this plane crashes” while carrying out an “utterly appalling” drunken attack during a flight from Barbados to Heathrow has been spared jail.

Rachel Street, from south London, “lashed out” at Virgin Atlantic staff and pulled one woman’s hair following a “litany of abuse” while travelling back from the Caribbean island on January 5.

Appearing at Uxbridge Magistrates’ Court on Monday, the 41-year-old was fined £10,000, made the subject of a 7pm to 7am curfew for six months and a rehabilitation requirement, and ordered to pay £1,000 in compensation.

The self-employed production assistant was also handed a 12-week prison sentence, suspended for 18 months.

Street previously admitted behaving in a threatening and abusive manner, entering an aircraft while drunk, failing to obey the pilot’s command to remain in her seat, and assaulting a female member of staff.

Sentencing Street, District Judge Deborah Wright said: “You were travelling first class and you were in a situation where everybody was unable to escape from your conduct.

“You behaved with a sense of self-entitlement and with no understanding of the fears passed on to passengers and staff.

“Your behaviour was utterly appalling.”

Speaking of the common assault charge, the judge said: “You were drunk, you were 40,000ft above the ground, and it came at the end of an appalling litany of abuse.”

In a victim impact statement read to the court by prosecutor Martin Edwards, one member of staff said: “Wishing the aircraft to crash was some of the worst I have experienced.”

Another crew member described the incident as “very distressing”, adding: “I was shocked we had to hold her down.”

One passenger said she was “scared” because she had her 18-month-old baby on the flight.

Street was moved from first class to the economy area of the plane after being “loud and abusive”, before barging back in and “lashing out” at a flight attendant.

She was heard shouting: “I might end up in jail tomorrow, but I don’t care.”

She also declared “I hope this plane crashes and we all die”, and said she wanted to “punch” members of the crew.

She was restrained and was arrested after the plane landed at Heathrow.

Jude Lanchin, defending Street, said she was “horrified at her own behaviour” and had been “very disturbed by the effective blackout and behaviour she demonstrated”.

She was told she would serve six months in prison if she could not pay the £10,000 fine on Monday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 3:38 PM

[quote] She previously worked for the Office of People with Developmental Disabilities.

Well ain't that rich!

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 3:43 PM

Aww, she's shy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 3:45 PM

R7, I haven't flown in decades and it seems that I've made the right decision. I knew that people were bringing their own food now but I didn't realize that the attendants were responsible for the passengers' garbage. I guess the same litterbugs that plague the streets and sidewalks are now flying too. The human race becomes more flawed every day.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 3:53 PM

R11, I think the problem is that the airlines don't really care about their employees.

In the age of COVID where so many people lost their jobs, it's like "Do this, or you're fired."

So the employer really has the upper hand.

The airline can basically tell the flight attendant to do anything and everything, and they have no choice. If they want to keep their job.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 4:03 PM

Aren't flight attendants unionized? If not, it sounds like they should be.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 5:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!