Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

US Senator: Not sharing mRNA tech will keep US "competitive"

Chris Coons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2021 6:41 PM

We did pay out the ass for our drugs and covered the research costs for many others COVID vaccines being used in the West or ones that failed. Meanwhile, European nations largely sat on their hands waiting to see what worked, same with Canada. If we paid for it then we shouldn’t have to give ours away for free.

China started this mess, let them give theirs away for free.

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 1:35 PM

[quote]China started this mess, let them give theirs away for free.

Theirs doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 1:38 PM

Healthcare shouldn't be profit based, ffs.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 1:39 PM

Does the senator miss the point that sharing the vaccine helps US security and health? We're not isolated from the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 1:42 PM

"Meanwhile, European nations largely sat on their hands waiting to see what worked, same with Canada."

You realize German scientists developed the Pfizer vaccine? Biontech is a German company. No one was sitting on their hands waiting for the US to safe them, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 1:49 PM

That's an interesting statement, especially considering that Pfizer's mRNA tech is really BionTech's. So that intellectual property is protected by German and European law. Still not interested in sharing?

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 1:51 PM

I find it surprising coming from Chris Coons. From a Josh Hawley, not at all.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 2:06 PM

I think we missed Coon's point. He is contemplating if patent rights should be seized to be made available for other countries and other manufacturers worldwide. That's a valid discussion, especially if you fight a pandemic. The question he is raising is more about 'should we just take patent rights, or do we need to compensate (at market rate)'. His point seems to be that you shouldn't just seize those rights.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 2:07 PM

Healthcare is monetized up the wazoo, there are cures medicine and big Pharma is sitting on cures they won't release because it was collapse their profits. We are all dollar signs to big medicine.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 2:23 PM

R5 no, German scientists did not develop the vaccine. You do realize that the scientific community is an international one, right? Researchers, including ones who work on vaccines come from all over the world and work for companies and organizations that are not of their native countries. One of my Taiwanese cousins worked as a neuro researcher in German for 10 years in the mid-2000s’s. He’s been living and working in NY doing similar research for one the SUNY universities after his Germany stint. I’ve met some of his friends who happen to be his colleagues and they’re also quite international.

If there’s a profession that is international and crosses boundaries of statehood, it is the scientific community in general. A lot of East Asian researchers in American and Western European companies and public institutions.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 2:37 PM

Fuck off r10 with your international community bs. You just don't wanna admit that it was a German company and German scientists who developed the vaccine and not the US.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 2:59 PM

R11 you seem to be easily triggered, all I’d done was to point out the truth about the scientific community. Even American companies and organizations are staffed by a hood portion of foreign researchers. Oh and fuck off too!

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 3:05 PM

^^^good portion

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 3:06 PM

The groundbreaking research was done by a Hungarian immigrant to the US, Katalin Karikó.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 3:13 PM

No, I'm not easily triggered r12. You just sound like a typical Trumptard who wants to take credit for something you don't deserve credit for and you are unwilling to give credit where credit is due. There were tons of articles about the development of the Pfizer vaccine. If it was in fact developed by a "scientific community" instead of the German company Biontech and the two German citizens every articles cited, please give us the names of the members of the "scientific community" that developed the Biontech vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 3:21 PM

R14 yes I have read about her, to me this is a person who should be celebrated by society today and looked up to as a role model. It’s worth noting that research today is a collaborative effort, not a singular, one-person show the way that was perhaps more true in the past. A leading researcher will have his/ her own team of assistants and more often than not, these researchers also work with other colleagues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 3:22 PM

Biontech is THE German vaccine! You Americans would not have gotten your shot without the Germans! Deal with it!

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 3:24 PM

R15 your baseless accusations of me being a Trumptard show s you to have more in common with actual Trumptard. You have zero clues to how scientific research or the scientific communities function. You actually believe that just because two German citizens are mentioned in conjunction with company/ news articles cited, that THEY alone must be the sole researchers for the vaccine and vaccine technology. Talk about Trumptard level of stupid.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 3:26 PM

^I still don't see facts these "German citizens" did not develop the vaccine. Who are the other members of their team? And please, you are an expert of scientific communities bc your cousin worked in a lab? Trump also thinks he's an scientific expert and the "father of the vaccines" bc he signed a cheque.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 3:34 PM

Now the fuckin despicable Chinese cunts are starting a propaganda to get mRNA for free since their shitty Sinofarm and Sinovac vaccines don't work. And they are going to manufacture the Pfizer vaccine in shithole China and also get their dirty hand on the technology at the same time. Don't let them have it. Fuck them dirty despicable plague-ridden thief!!!

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 3:43 PM

There are a lot of pharmaceutical companies in Delaware and New Jersey. That may have something to do with where Chris Coons is coming from. It's a complicated issue. We need these companies. Everyone is all pissed off at them all the time because they charge a lot for medicine, but we need some of those medicines (some, not so much).

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2021 3:54 PM

R19 Are you truly stupid or trolling? Did I say I was an expert? I brought up my cousin’s experience to illustrate a point about the scientific community. As for myself, I have a bachelor’s degree in microbiology, currently work as DNP in both primary care and psych. So yes, I do know a little about healthcare science, including the basics about inner workings of research science.

You OTOH spew irrational demands for specific names of researchers who contributed to mRNA technology without even knowing what the technology is. You don’t even know that the technology existed before the COVID-19 vaccines. The technology wasn’t invented overnight, the groundwork was laid by teams of scientists in different parts of the world. Dr. Drew Weissman for instance, was an early contributor to the advancement of mRNA technology. Anyone with understanding of science and how research works knows that mRNA vaccines were trialed on humans prior to these current COVID-19 vaccines. The technology was there and it was built upon by various groups of researchers; this sharing of information is also in the form of peer-reviewed, published research.

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2021 3:59 PM

^Biontech is a German company and two German citizens developed the Covid-19 vaccine. These are still the facts. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2021 4:06 PM

Oh and R19, my cousin doesn’t just “work in a lab”. He’s a 20+ years neuroscientist who does research in dementia/ alzheimer’s disease.

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2021 4:08 PM

R23 I’m done arguing with you, you’re too obtuse to have an intelligent discourse on the inner workings of research science. I was going to go deeper into how funding sources and collaborations affect patents but I’m not even going to try, you’re just too obtuse.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2021 4:10 PM

[quote]Biontech is THE German vaccine! You Americans would not have gotten your shot without the Germans! Deal with it!

But note, GGG, that the company was founded by Germans of Turkish origin, just as the basic breakthroughs were accomplished by an American of Hungarian origin. It's a big world.

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2021 4:54 PM

R25 Thank God troll. No fuck off to Trumpville with your mean-spirited attitude.

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2021 5:21 PM

R26 Yes, but they are still Germans. White Germans. We don't do that People of Colour nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2021 5:44 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2021 6:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!