Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mexico city metro overpass collapsed

At least 13 dead according to The Guardian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 13, 2021 4:40 AM

What about the guys sucking dick in the last car?!

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 5:43 AM

That whole damn city is built on top of a lake, add all the earthquakes and you’ve got a completely unstable foundation ready to give at any moment.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 5:47 AM

Mexico is the textbook definition of a shithole country. I feel sorry for the victims and their families, but with rampant corruption and poor infrastructure, is something like this really a surprise? I found it hilarious when, during the height of the. Pandemic, some handwringing DLers were insisting Americans looking to leave the country should consider Mexico of all places.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 6:04 AM

If we don't pass the infrastructure bill, that's going to happen here in the US.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 6:14 AM

R3 I guess you've forgotten about the I-35W bridge collapse in Minneapolis that killed 13 people ironically the same as "shithole" Mexico.

1 out of 11 bridges here in the US is structurally unsafe.

I've got a friend who is a structural engineer who holds his breath when he has to cross certain bridges in Pennsylvania where 20% of the state's bridges are structurally dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 6:24 AM

It could have been me! I could have been killed in the Mexico City metro overpass collapse.!

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 9:21 AM

That’s some fucked up shit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 9:43 AM

That reminds me, I need to book another trip there!

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 9:53 AM

The US infrastructure bill includes few actual infrastructure projects. It's mostly social programs like child daycare, not roads or bridge. Look into it.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 10:29 AM

Was this designed by the same woman that designed the Florida pedestrian bridge?

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 10:51 AM

Which country is that city in again?

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 11:56 AM

R93 that's part of infrastructure, and it has something like $621 billion for what you seem to consider "classic" infrastructure (e.g. transportation only).

Don't take my word for it! Here's a link with the breakdown:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 11:58 AM

^ in response to r9

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 11:59 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 12:10 PM

The dick sucking only occurs on the last car of the pink line. I got mine sucked there in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 12:13 PM

The cleanest subway system I've ever experienced (lots of cheap labor available), and no men at all allowed in the first car, only women and children.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 12:51 PM

They shovel all the children into one car? That would greatly improve Amtrak.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 12:58 PM

Great now they can claim asylum from falling trains too.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 1:00 PM

R18 i don't think it's the Mexicans claiming asylum, it's the other countries like Venezuela and similar that are having big issues. They just travel through Mexico to get to the US.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 1:02 PM

Well they better watch out for falling trains when they pass through Mexico, R19.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 1:05 PM

Can I have their stuff?

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2021 1:05 PM

Some of the ELs in NYC are so rusted they look like they'll collapse at any minute.

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2021 1:06 PM

I spent a summer working in Mexico City. The metro was wonderful. Almost silent. The trains moved on rubber tires. After the NYC subway, these quiet trains were a welcome surprise.

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2021 1:10 PM

Lana Turner has Collapsed!

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2021 1:40 PM

It’s a shame that idiots believe the USA is really any different than Mexico. I mean seriously, we’ve had plenty of tragic bridge collapses too.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2021 2:53 PM

R25 And a few movie stars!

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2021 3:00 PM

R25 are you insane? Of course the US is different from Mexico. Go live there as a citizen and then get back to us.

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2021 4:00 PM

Oh no! Did the cock sucking section collapsed too? I hope our resident cocksuckers were not in harm’s way.

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2021 5:27 PM

Hola Juan, dónde está el overpass?

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2021 5:47 PM

This is why they can't have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2021 5:55 PM

[quote] If we don't pass the infrastructure bill, that's going to happen here in the US.

Why doesn't Biden take the 100s of billions of dollars the government collects in gas taxes every year and use that money to fix the roads and bridges?

by Anonymousreply 31May 4, 2021 6:33 PM

[quote]are you insane? Of course the US is different from Mexico. Go live there as a citizen and then get back to us.

I'm living in Mexico now and I love it. Mexico City would not be my choice as I don't care for mega cities in general, but it is VERY popular with expats and digital nomads these days. As are many other areas of the country. Shit can and does happen everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 32May 4, 2021 6:48 PM

[quote] Why doesn't Biden take the 100s of billions of dollars the government collects in gas taxes every year and use that money to fix the roads and bridges?

Because the President can't "take" money. It's in the budget for specific purposes, or it isn't. And he doesn't make the budget. It comes from the House of Representatives.

by Anonymousreply 33May 4, 2021 6:51 PM

I am going to publish a book about this and donate the proceeds to myself.

by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2021 11:52 PM

Outside the confines of a handful of resorts, Mexico is a literal nightmare. Some Americans try to romantacize it because they can't cut it at home and like living someplace with cheaper everything (apartments, food, hustlers), but nobody in their right mind would live there.

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2021 4:55 PM

Mexico is pretty nice, actually. I spend a lot of time in Mexico City, for decades, and don’t understand the broad brush that people give the place. Never had a problem, even in the smaller towns where I’ve spent time.

I suppose it helps that I have accumulated Mexican friends over the years. I’ve got a locals perspective.

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2021 9:51 PM

As mentioned further upthread 1 in 11 bridges in the US is unsafe :

The latest the I-40 over the Mississippi between Tennessee and Arkansas which carries about 50,000 vehicles a day could be closed for months .

The chickens are coming home to roost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 13, 2021 4:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!