Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Sons of Sam" Coming To Neftflix On May 5

Do you think he acted alone? This looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2021 3:29 PM

Hard to beat Summer of Sam, the 1999 Spike Lee movie with John Leguizamo’s ass and Adrien Brody’s gigantic bulge, Brody does some gay things as well. It’s overlooked and underrated, it really captures the mood, it’s very Scorsese and I would have been okay with it being 3 hours long. Mira Sorvino and Patti Lupone are in it too, Patti shows her tits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 3:08 AM

What's the connection between Son of Sam and this woman who was murdered in California? They're spending an entire episode on this case and it doesn't appear to be related at all.

by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2021 2:52 AM

Netflix is becoming Lifetime TV...

They’re fully dedicated to shows about true crime, which fraus devour like manna from heaven.

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2021 2:57 AM

Their crime shows are so badly produced and boring

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2021 6:01 AM

[quote] What's the connection between Son of Sam and this woman who was murdered in California?

The writer this docuseries is about, Maury Terry, thought that David Berkowitz was part of a satanic cult in Yonkers, and that cult was in turn part of a larger satanic cult movement in America. (He felt Manson’s “Family” was another branch of this movement.)

Berkowitz himself had claimed that Arliss Perry’s savage rape and murder in a church at Stanford U in 1974 had been another satanic act, and he even sent a satanic book to investigators of Perry’s murder. This book had something about Perry “being tracked down and murdered” written in the margins. He claimed someone at a satanic meeting he’d attended has claimed responsibility for Perry’s murder. He inferred he received the book from this person, or someone else involved in Perry's murder.

Did Berkowitz himself write the notes in the margin? Quite possible.

In the end, it turns out the security guard at the church had locked Perry in and raped her with a five foot candle, then tried to strangle her, and finally rammed an ice pick through her skull. He apparently jizzed on her sometime during this, because his semen, collected in 1974 from the bloody corpse, was finally identified using dna testing in 2018. When the police closed in on him to arrest him, he blew his own brains out.

He didn’t have a history of occultism, but he did have Maury Terry’s book in his apartment!

by Anonymousreply 5May 10, 2021 6:40 AM

No doubt there's some marketability factor at work, but the criminals they focus on are the dreariest, and watching is like listening to a 16 part podcast of a story that could have been told, and artfully, in one episode.

Son of Sam is just not an interesting story from any perspective, and Berkowitz not an interesting criminal.

by Anonymousreply 6May 10, 2021 6:41 AM

Berkowitz isn’t interesting but the same is true of many serial killers, who kill because they’re just not very interesting. (Bundy is an exception.)

But the murders and the effect they had on the city certainly are interesting. I actually am not a fan of Spike Lee’s movie, don’t really care for the way he shits all over the poor and lower middle class white people who were Berkowitz’s victims. I’d like to see a better film about it, like Zodiac was.

by Anonymousreply 7May 10, 2021 6:49 AM

Cheap documentary

by Anonymousreply 8May 10, 2021 6:50 AM

All of those police sketches looked so different. Any truth to the multiple gunmen theory?

by Anonymousreply 9May 10, 2021 6:53 AM

That’s one of Terry’s big claims and it’s possible the Carrs were also involved. But eyewitness sketches are often grossly inaccurate.

by Anonymousreply 10May 10, 2021 6:55 AM

I didn't care for their Unsolved Mysteries series.1 or 2 either. Some had the potential be be interesting stories but they were not well told. Most though were neither interesting (beyond a 10nor 15 minute segment) not well presented.

by Anonymousreply 11May 10, 2021 7:10 AM

If he was still alive, Maury Terry would totally be a QAnon / Pizzagate nut.

by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2021 7:58 AM

Neysa Moskowitz sure seemed like a real force of nature.

by Anonymousreply 13May 10, 2021 7:58 PM

I've recounted this true story here once, but because it still creeps me the F out, I'll tell it again. A friend I once worked with told me she had a friend who went to Lake Sammamish State Park in the Summer of 1974. She was approached by this guy who had crazy eyes. He asked her if she would help him carry his surfboard (or some such floating device) back to his car. His arm was in a sling. Thank Christ this woman was quick-thinking. She realized that he couldn't have been riding the board if his arm was in a sling, and she immediately told him she was waiting for friends, and that she couldn't help him. The guy was Ted Bundy. Getting help bringing the board back to his car was one of his MOs. He would bonk the female on the head as they got to his car, and shove her inside. There was no door handle on the passenger side of his car.

Just as an aside, don't open your front door if somebody knocks. Look through the peephole first. If you don't recognize whoever it is on the other side, say nothing and move away from the door. My community advice for today...

by Anonymousreply 14May 11, 2021 7:37 AM

I finished this documentary last night and enjoyed it for what it was -- which was a glimpse in time into some of the life and characters of '70s NY. R10, I also think it is possible that the Carr brothers were involved.

by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2021 3:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!