Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ray Reyes, former member of boy band Menudo, dies at 51

Ray Reyes, former member of boy band Menudo during its golden era, died on April 30. He was 51. Telemundo reports the cause of death was a massive heart attack.

His brother Raul confirmed the news via Facebook on Friday asking for privacy on behalf of the family.

"It is with great pain in my soul that I confirm the death of my beloved brother, Ray Reyes," he wrote in Spanish alongside a gallery of images. "I beg you all for space as we navigate this situation and ask that you please pray for our family, especially my mother who is very delicate. I also ask that you never forget his legacy. Now more than ever, we need to be united. Never stop expressing your love and affection for your fellow human beings."

Reyes was born in New York City in the spring of 1970 and was raised in Levittown, Puerto Rico, the same city he lived as an adult and where he died.

He joined boy band Menudo in early 1983 during its heyday, shortly before the addition of Ricky Martin and Draco Rosa (then known as Robby Rosa). He reportedly left the group in 1985 due to a growth spurt and was replaced by Raymond Acevedo.

Reyes reunited with other former Menudo members in 1998 to celebrate the group's 15th anniversary and again in 2005 as El Reencuentro as part of a farewell tour that continued to perform until their split a decade later. He would hit the stage as part of Menudo officially in 2016 and again in 2019.

In one of his final interviews, Reyes spoke to Telemundo about how difficult it was to escape the shadow of the hit boy band no matter how hard he tried.

"Throughout the years, I've tried to reinvent myself, but no matter what I tried, the topic of Menudo always came up," he said in Spanish. "I've tried to take on other professions, but all anyone wants to know about is Menudo. I don't mind because I'm very proud of all we accomplished, but reinventing myself after all of that was very difficult."

His bandmate Johnny Lozada shared a tribute to Reyes via Instagram.

"It's so difficult arriving at an age where your brothers of a lifetime begin journeys to places where we are unable to accompany them," he captioned a video of Reyes performing the song "Chiquitita." "But like the song says, the stars shine bright for you up high. That's how I will always remember you."

Reyes' funeral will take place on May 4 at 2 p.m. local time in Levittown, his brother announced.

He is survived by his two children, Marcos and Cecilia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2022 4:57 AM

Has Ricky Martin issued a statement yet?

Or is he too busy taking nude selfies?

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote]Reyes reunited with other former Menudo members in 1998 to celebrate the group's 15th anniversary and again in 2005 as El Reencuentro as part of a farewell tour that continued to perform until their split a decade later. He would hit the stage as part of Menudo officially in 2016 and again in 2019. In one of his final interviews, Reyes spoke to Telemundo about how difficult it was to escape the shadow of the hit boy band no matter how hard he tried.

Which it seems wasn't very hard.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 12:22 AM

[quote] part of a farewell tour that continued to perform until their split a decade later.

Reminiscent of Cher.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 12:26 AM

Damn, what in the hell was he eating?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 12:29 AM

He was dreamy as a boybander.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 12:30 AM

[quote] Damn, what in the hell was he eating?

Ham sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 12:35 AM

Eat lard die hard.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 12:39 AM

Ricky, reminiscing about the good old days.

Good times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 12:41 AM

[quote] Damn, what in the hell was he eating?

Everything.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 12:46 AM

Which one was he - the little Hispanic boy, the medium Hispanic boy or the tall Hispanic boy?

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 12:47 AM

Menudo was the Boricua answer to the Jackson 5. I would say Menudo and New Edition were the blueprint for modern boy bands. New Kids On The Block took it to bigger heights because they were white and thus had more mainstream appeal. Then came Take That, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC and One Direction. All of these boy bands were managed by crooks who took advantage of these boys financially and sexually.

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2021 10:07 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2021 10:11 PM

[quote]Has Ricky Martin issued a statement yet?

As a member of a band myself, I will on his behalf.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2021 10:12 PM

Thus happened in April.

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2021 10:32 PM

I dont think I've heard more about a band without actually hearing any of their music than Menudo.

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2021 10:38 PM

Apparently this was Menudo's only hit on the US Billboard Hot 100 charts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2021 11:01 PM

In 1983 ABC featured Menudo videos between Sat morning cartoons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2021 11:17 PM

The original gp featured 2 sets of brothers. One set cousins of the manager.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2021 11:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2021 11:21 PM

gen xers dropping like flies. sad!

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2021 11:22 PM

They performed at Ricky’s birthday party. Obviously today he would have them deported.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2021 11:24 PM

They were too ahead of the times. Maybe it was because being Puerto Rican, radio and MTV didn't know where to put them. Too "ethnic" for white stations but not "black enough" for black stations.

The US didn't start embracing Latin artists until the late 90s it seems. Selena was gearing up for English debut (ironic as she was American and wanted to sing in English but she was only marketed to Tejano audiences) and her untimely death and movie starring Jennifer Lopez opened up doors. Ricky Martin, Enrique, Marc Anthony, Thalia, J. Lo, Christina Aguilera (she did a Spanish album) and Shakira all were popular in the early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2021 11:32 PM

As an 8 yr old child, thought Ray Reyes was the one girl member of the group and later I thought Ricky Martin was a girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2021 11:33 PM

R22 yes, we all remember the Latin Invasion that happened in 1999.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2021 11:34 PM

[quote]The US didn't start embracing Latin artists until the late 90s it seems.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2021 11:38 PM

Does Susan Dey send condolences to the Latinos?

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2021 11:40 PM

Ricky needs to lay off the botox. He was always a pretty boy and grew into a handsome man.

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2021 11:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2021 11:47 PM

I love how the management kicked out members as soon as they reached 16 or 17. They went through those boys like toilet tissues. It was a smart business move because they could appeal to a new generation of fans with each cycle.

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2021 1:36 AM

Hold Me was marketed with a music video in mainstream TOP 40 but they never took off like they did in Latin America. The kid band craze was wild in Latin America—check out the documentary on the Spanish group Parchis. They made bank off those kids and in the end the kids really ended up with very little to show for it like a lot of child actors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2021 1:45 AM

Former Menudo member Charlie Masso is hotter than Ricky

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2021 2:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2021 2:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2021 2:37 AM

Sergio Blass, another former Menudo member who turned out hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2021 6:58 AM

For me, the classic Menudo lineup will always be Ricky (Melendez, not Martin), Rene, Johnny, Xavier and Miguel. That's the lineup that I first saw on "Siempre en Domingo" singing "Fuego", "Quiero Ser", "Subete a Mi Moto", "Rock de la TV", "Claridad"...all those early hits.

They were AWFUL. They could barely sing, they wore shitty, tacky costumes that looked homemade, they couldn't even handle the simplest choreography without fucking up...but the girls went insane for them, and they were just kind of fun in a weird way. The whole thing had this haphazard, thrown-together-at-the-last-minute feel to it (even though behind the scenes those boys were working like dogs) which is probably what gave it a lot of its charm. Later, when it all got more professional and slick, it somehow seemed shittier and less fun.

The concept of each of the members getting the inevitable boot at age 16 was really weird too. I remember when Rene, who was the tallest and the oldest and seemed like the group leader, got the old heave-ho. It was sad, and the girls in the audience were crying hysterically.

Behold the REAL Menudo the teen girls of the entire Spanish-speaking world fell in love with:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2021 7:46 AM

And little Johnny Lozada, the tiny kid with the Jew-fro and the big, goofy smile with braces, grew up to be a hottie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2021 7:56 AM

What was the point of that photo? He looks like he was about to deep throat a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2021 9:12 AM

Why didn’t they do Hi-NRG music like this in the early 80’s?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2021 9:47 AM

Their late 70s and early 80s stuff is fine when it was Latin-style disco or funky pop rock. There was a lot of amazing production in Latin American and Spanish music during that time especially in funk, rumba flamenca and salsa.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2021 11:49 PM

R36 Johnny Lozada didn't have a Jew-fro. That is just his African ancestry showing. He has that beautiful tri-racial Puerto Rican look.

Jennifer Lopez said she was a Menudo fangirl in her youth and wanted to hang out with Johnny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2021 12:36 AM

There is a Menudo documentary on HBO MAX. Anybody watching it or starting a thread?

by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2022 4:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!