Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jacques d'Amboise - Dead, you know?

His ass couldn’t live forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 1:43 AM

I read his autobiography, one of the best dancer memoirs ever. Lots of juicy tidbits about the heyday of NYCB and George Balanchine.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2021 9:01 PM

Short clip of him in Western Symphony with Balanchine’s ex-wife, ballerina Tanaquil Le Clercq whose career was tragically cut short by polio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2021 9:10 PM

With Virginia Gibson in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" (1954). RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2021 9:12 PM

Natural causes?

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2021 9:15 PM

Up until about a year ago, I was getting emails (I was on the NDI mailing list) from him. Bless him, it’s a wonderful program they bring to NYC public schools.

This is a loss for many.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2021 9:18 PM

A nice guy and a creative force. I had a nice long meeting with him once.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2021 9:20 PM

I must admit, I always got him confused with Rene Auberjonois, and sometimes Jacques Cousteau as well.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2021 9:26 PM

How could you get him confused with Cousteau, of all people?

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2021 9:26 PM

Fantastic dancer, and incredibly funny and charming in interviews.

Straight? I mean, I know he was married, but that doesn't prove anything.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2021 10:06 PM

Yes R9 he was straight. Not all male dancers are gay. Balanchine was famously heterosexual, he married or pursued ballerinas in NYCB, most famously in his later years the much younger Suzanne Farrell.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2021 10:16 PM

R7 I used to love watching the Undersea World of Jean Cocteau on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2021 10:19 PM

Through his various free dance schools and programs, he introduced ballet to city children the world over.

Rest In Peace, Mr. d'Amboise.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2021 10:35 PM

His body in the photo at OP! Fuck!

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 1:41 AM

There was a charming little movie about that, r12, called "He Makes Me Feel Like Dancing". It won the Oscar for Best Documentary feature. Here are the kids from the movie performing to the nominated song from "Flashdance"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 1:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!