Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Linen Cocktail Napkins

Do any of you have recommendations for buying linen cocktail napkins? I am presently using Caspari paper napkins and they're lovely, but I would like to waste less and make the move to linen napkins. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 51May 6, 2021 3:57 AM

I have linen napkins from rough linen.com, and they are very good quality. I have some other linen cocktail napkins from Restoration Hardware, but I am not sure if they still sell them.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2021 8:11 PM

PS If you buy linen napkins, you will want to iron them if you want them to look nice

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2021 8:12 PM

Well, smell you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2021 8:16 PM

And if any of you bitches could give me advice on how to boil water, I'd also really appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2021 8:19 PM

[quote]If you buy linen napkins, you will want to iron them if you want them to look nice

Yes, I recently purchased a mangle and it's a breeze to iron napkins, pillowcases, tablecloths, and tea towels.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2021 8:21 PM

quote[And if any of you bitches could give me advice on how to boil water, I'd also really appreciate that.]

That was not posted by me!

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2021 8:22 PM

I buy things like that on eBay. I’ve bought airline and ocean liner linens for less than buying new and they are of very high quality.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2021 8:24 PM

Try Sferra. I buy my linens from them and they're pretty nice.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2021 8:30 PM

I love linens, both old and new. Check out Le Jacquard Francais and Alexandre Turpault for modern and fresh designs. Antique malls are filled with linens, lots of crappy stuff, but you can usually find a few dealers that have good stuff and cheap, hardly anyone wants it. Press linens while they're damp, if they have embroidery or monogram, press from the back side with the decorative side facing a pressing cloth. I have great antique French linens that I use everyday. I like the texture of unpressed linen when mixed with weathered silver and white ironstone.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2021 8:48 PM

[quote] I love linens, both old and new. Check out Le Jacquard Francais and Alexandre Turpault for modern and fresh designs. Antique malls are filled with linens, lots of crappy stuff, but you can usually find a few dealers that have good stuff and cheap, hardly anyone wants it. Press linens while they're damp, if they have embroidery or monogram, press from the back side with the decorative side facing a pressing cloth. I have great antique French linens that I use everyday. I like the texture of unpressed linen when mixed with weathered silver and white ironstone.

Thank you for this!

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2021 8:49 PM

In this same vein, could any of you gurls give me some recommendations about sanitary napkins?

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2021 9:18 PM

This will last for 2 dinners, max, and you will be back to the Caspari. Between sourcing, removing stains (spoiler: you can't in most cases, e.g. red wine, olive oil), washing, ironing, folding, storing, re-ironing because even folded and correctly stored linen lives to re-wrinkle randomly, you are actually creating a bigger energy (both carbon and your own) footprint, not to mention time-suck. So if environmental waste is truly your concern, paper is actually the better option.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2021 9:50 PM

[quote]Yes, I recently purchased a mangle and it's a breeze to iron napkins, pillowcases, tablecloths, and tea towels.

Really, I just purchased a little Asian child for the same purpose.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2021 9:53 PM

Fuck off Hawley, you racist cretin.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2021 9:55 PM

This is a very gay and very first world issue.

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2021 10:03 PM

Odd, but the only people I have ever known to own a mangle were gay men.

Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2021 10:14 PM

I would try eBay. It's an opportunity to get something unique and not very expensive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2021 10:18 PM

I appreciate your concern, R12, but I have a mangle and it's easy to iron linen. As for stains, at the end of a party I simply put the napkins in a bucket with a little Heritage Park Fine Laundry Detergent sometimes LeBlanc Linen Wash and by morning all stains are removed—including red wine. After washing them, I run them through the mangle while still damp and then lay them flat on acid-free tissue paper for storage. Easy peasy. Much nicer than paper.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2021 10:22 PM

LeBlanc is the best! I'll have to check out Heritage Park.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2021 10:26 PM

Anyone who can't get stains out of white linen SHOULD be using paper napkins.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2021 10:34 PM

I completely agree, R20. Rubes.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2021 10:38 PM

Do be careful, r5, they can be treacherous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2021 10:48 PM

We grow our own flax and have some women who make our linen in traditional ways. The thought of using commercial table napkins is rather disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2021 10:49 PM

My husband brought a wonderful set of 48 mink napkins in his trousseau, 24 Blackglama and 24 tawny rose.

The skin side is great for cleaning and polishing one's teeth at table.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2021 10:52 PM

Rubes. Jealous rubes.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2021 11:17 PM

R18 = MARY!

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2021 12:36 AM

R26 = JEALOUS!

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2021 12:53 AM

What are cocktail napkins?

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2021 1:19 PM

I only use linen t.p.

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2021 6:13 PM

Do you soak the linen T.P. in Tide or something finer?

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2021 2:29 PM

Are any of you queens using linen hand towels in your bathrooms? The actress Capucine had them in her bathroom. Pain in the ass for my large hairy hands. I appreciate fine linen but there's a limit.

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2021 5:32 PM

I have linen hand towels in my guest bath. The only think that gives me pause is that I fear that when guests see perfectly pressed and crisp hand towels they don't feel comfortable using them and resort to drying their hands with toilet paper or on their pants or something. The solution is to wash and dry your hands on a towel before guests arrive, so that your guests don't feel as though the towels are just for show. This is a similar strategy to cutting a piece of cheese so guests don't avoid being the first one to cut into a wedge of brie or something.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2021 8:06 PM

[quote] The actress Capucine had them in her bathroom.

How do you know that Germaine Hélène Irène Lefebvre had linen towels in her bathroom? And just how big and hairy are your hands?

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2021 8:12 PM

I have pressed linen guests towels that I layer over embroidered terry towels, that way guests can feel comfortable drying their hands on the terry towels. I also have paper towels on a tray. Always liquid hand soap, never bar.

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2021 8:35 PM

[quote] Always liquid hand soap, never bar.

Ah, glad you brought this up. Can anyone recommend a really nice liquid hand soap? Nothing from the supermarket, please.

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2021 8:47 PM

R34, where do you get your embroidered terry towels? And your paper towels?

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2021 8:49 PM

Here you go...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2021 8:50 PM

Caspari makes beautiful paper towels. Most of my linen guest towels are old. Between The Sheets has beautiful embroidered terry, they have stores in southern California or buy online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2021 9:02 PM

R37, thank you! I love that it's saponified in a cauldron.

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2021 9:03 PM

Buy vintage linen napkins at flea markets and church charity shops. Easy peasy

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2021 9:08 PM

[Quote]How do you know that Germaine Hélène Irène Lefebvre had linen towels in her bathroom?

Because I was obliged to use them and she felt compelled to rearrange them immediately. Loved her. Loathed the linen towels.

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2021 9:23 PM

This thread is overflowing with tenderness-to-the-touch and refined tastefulness.

I hope you bitches are happy now that your sensitivities have triggered me.

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2021 9:44 PM

Gentlemen, are use mixing or matching cocktail linens?

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2021 11:32 PM

I knit and use my own. You should, too.

by Anonymousreply 44May 6, 2021 12:23 AM

I have cotton waffle towels in the bathroom, but I do have linen hand towels in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 45May 6, 2021 2:34 AM

[quote]I’ve bought airline and ocean liner linens for less than buying new and they are of very high quality.

I call these "cum rags," and now I know where they end up!

Bless.

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2021 3:02 AM

R46, I love you!

by Anonymousreply 47May 6, 2021 3:08 AM

I tried once but they were immediately ruined with oil. Do the rich folk just throw them out like paper after every meal?

by Anonymousreply 48May 6, 2021 3:09 AM

Try Society Limonata for your fine textiles

by Anonymousreply 49May 6, 2021 3:10 AM

My abuela had one of these...like big queen OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 6, 2021 3:52 AM

R12

That's what laundries, especially French Hand are there for.........

by Anonymousreply 51May 6, 2021 3:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!