Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cheney calls out Trump's latest attempt to promote 'BIG LIE' amid criticism from within her own party

(CNN) Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney, the No. 3 House Republican, publicly rejected former President Donald Trump's most recent false charge that he would've won the 2020 election if not for "fraudulent" votes, her latest rebuke of the former president that has put her at odds with many members of her own party.

Cheney has repeatedly pushed back on Trump's baseless assertions that there was widespread fraud in the 2020 election. She was one of only 10 Republicans to vote to impeach the former president for "incitement of insurrection" after the deadly riot at the Capitol on January 6.

"The 2020 presidential election was not stolen," Cheney tweeted on Monday. "Anyone who claims it was is spreading THE BIG LIE, turning their back on the rule of law, and poisoning our democratic system."

Cheney's remarks were in response to Trump, who said in a written statement on Monday, "The Fraudulent Presidential Election of 2020 will be, from this day forth, known as THE BIG LIE!"

Cheney's outspoken criticism of Trump has led to some House Republicans to accuse her of dividing the conference and distracting from the party's goals. Some have recently warned that Cheney could face a vote to oust her from her spot in the House Republican in leadership, although Cheney survived a similar test earlier this year.

House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy has the power to call for that vote, but it's unclear if he will do that as soon as next week, according to multiple House GOP sources.

But multiple Republican lawmakers and aides say that Cheney is on very shaky ground internally and whether she can hang on to her post in a secret-ballot election is highly uncertain.

When Cheney easily survived a bid to oust her in February, McCarthy came to her defense and called on the House GOP Conference to keep her in the spot in a speech delivered behind closed doors.

This time, however, could be different. A House GOP source who has been in contact with McCarthy said the GOP leader has been "furious" at her for weeks amid her comments about Trump.

If Cheney were to be ousted, it's unknown who would replace her. There are several Republicans viewed as potential candidates for the No. 3 job, including Rep. Mike Johnson of Louisiana, Rep. Elise Stefanik of New York and Rep. Jim Banks of Indiana.

Banks, who chairs the influential Republican Study Committee, told CNN he hopes "we can avoid" a vote to oust Cheney. But he made clear his displeasure with her.

"I would like to see my friend Liz join the focus and share the mission to regain the majority," said Banks.

"She seems very, very focused on the past and tearing down other Republicans like myself," Banks added, referring in part to her criticism of a memo he authored to take back the House majority.

The conference meets in full for the first time next week. At that point, McCarthy can call for a vote if he chooses to do so. If McCarthy doesn't go that route, then there are special procedures in place to ultimately force another vote, but those steps can take weeks to play out.

cont’d

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 9, 2021 1:45 AM

In January, a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol in a deluded effort to overturn the 2020 election as Congress certified the vote. While nearly the entire House GOP conference voted to acquit Trump in the impeachment trial, Cheney blamed the riot -- and the death of five people -- directly on him, saying he "summoned," "assembled" and "lit the flame of this attack."

"There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution," Cheney said.

Cheney's vote to impeach Trump sparked a backlash among the House Republican conference and in Wyoming, which Trump won in 2020 with nearly 70% of the vote, the most of any state in the country. Cheney has also faced criticism after leaning in to greet President Joe Biden last week, as he made his way down the aisle for his speech to a joint session of Congress.

But Cheney appears to be uninterested in backing away from her views, despite the intraparty pressure in Washington and primary challengers lining up to take her on in Wyoming. Cheney has recently opened the door to running for president in 2024 and blasted colleagues in the Senate who supported efforts to challenge the election results on January 6.

In February, Cheney overwhelmingly kept her leadership position in a secret ballot vote 145-61 -- but some Republicans have grown increasingly irritated that she continues to publicly attack Trump.

Last week, House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy was asked if Cheney was still a good fit for leadership. He declined to endorse her, instead saying Cheney's future would be determined by the conference.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2021 6:33 PM

I wonder what her end game is, continuing to kick 300 hundred pound gorilla. It's ironic that she's the only one that's got the balls to challenge him, but it's bound to hurt her in the near term.

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2021 6:38 PM

I'd donate to her primary campaign just to help ensure a trumpard doesn't get in.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2021 6:41 PM

^ Save your money for Democrats. Repugs got themselves into this mess, they can kill each other on the way out of this mess

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2021 6:44 PM

R4 not in the primary. We've entered an age in politics that if you don't want to see the likes of Greene and that other creature in politics you're going to have to hold your nose and help the saner Republicans during the primaries. Especially in red states where Democrats don't stand a snowballs chance in hell.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2021 6:49 PM

^ I don't care, I'm not giving MY money to deplorables, EVER

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2021 6:51 PM

Rep. Liz Cheney Pushes Back On Trump's Election Lies, Creating GOP Rift | MTP Daily | MSNBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2021 6:53 PM

Your choice, r6. I personally want to see the Greens and Bobbits out of politics and will do what I can to help.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2021 6:55 PM

R8, the problem is that Cheney and Romney and Kizinger still vote like 95%-100% of the time with all of the garbage policies Trump pushed.

Actions speak louder than words. Her words are meaningless when she still agrees with his policies.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2021 7:02 PM

Get it through your head, love. Widespread fraud! Listen to the orange Oracle for one! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2021 7:07 PM

R9...at the end of the day they're still Republicans and they're going to vote for Republican policy, but they voted for impeachment. Full stop. At the end of the day they did what was right... you're not going to get that from a Greene, Gaetz or that other creature Lauren Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2021 7:49 PM

I'm a little surprised her father (or for that matter her mother) hasn't weighed in on her behalf.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2021 8:22 PM

Cheney’s a cunt like her dad. While I agree with her here, I’d be happy if she gets primaried.

As a reminder, though she has a lezzie sister, Liz Cheney is against gay marriage

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2021 8:26 PM

Liz Cheney is the kind of Republican we used to hate for DIFFERENT reasons than we hate Trumpers.

So - in that sense - and only that sense - admirable.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2021 8:27 PM

[quote]At the end of the day they did what was right

Once. They did what was right once, knowing full well their vote was a political move, and would not have resulted in Trump being removed from office.

She's a Repug who is trying to cater to the voters who didn't vote Trump in 2020 but did vote Repug in the downballot races. There are lots of them and she, along with a handful of other Repugs, want to go back to the old status quo, before Trump changed the party.

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2021 8:30 PM

R15 yup and it's one time more than Matt Gaetz, Gym Jordan, Mitch Mcconnell, MTG, LB, and a couple of hundred others. 🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2021 8:41 PM

"I'm a little surprised her father (or for that matter her mother) hasn't weighed in on her behalf. "

She's a big girl and doesn't need mommy and daddy to fight her battles, but you can bet she's getting lots of behind the scenes help. Funny that Matt Gaetz's world came crashing down just weeks after his little stunt in Wyoming

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2021 8:46 PM

What does it tell you about the kind of party where Cheney and Romney are seen as bad, yet silence on Gaetz and Jordan (OSU)?

It's a party for absolute trash at this point.

Not to mention they're dumb trash when people like Tuberville, Boebart and MTG are their beacons.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2021 8:47 PM

Oh, and of course the biggest idiot of all: Trump who knows less than shit about American history.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2021 8:48 PM

Yeah, r17, I wondered if the timing of Gaetz' downfall and his Wyoming stunt were related. I'm guessing not since Republicans are still out for her.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2021 8:49 PM

DUMP is not a democrat, gurls. He does not believe in democracy. He does not believe in truth. He has no principals other than self-serving.

His is a mendacious, egomaniac and a sociopath. He would sooner torch the world than admit he lost. He is insane.

More people need to call this what it is.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2021 8:56 PM

oh fuck, principles!

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2021 8:56 PM

Remember that strange incident when Dick Cheney shot his friend "accidentally" during a hunting outing and the victim felt he owed Cheney an apology?

l bet Big Daddy Dick Cheney is just biding his time and taking names during the attacks upon his daughter. He and his coven know where all the bodies are buried, themselves having put more than a few to rest. It won't be pretty when Dick comes out swinging in defense of his name and daughter. Pass the popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2021 9:10 PM

If she sticks to her guns she will run in 2024. Thing is, she'd have to come up with actual policy proposals. And that is never a strong suit for Republicans

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2021 9:33 PM

I don’t know what her angle is really. The vast majority of Republicans don’t want what she’s selling. They want more Trump, more Q-anon, more Marj Greene.

The people who agree with Cheney about Trump and the Insurrection all voted for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2021 9:44 PM

Call the qrazee QUNT a qrazee QUNT.

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2021 9:53 PM

Lizzie! You in danger, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2021 10:00 PM

[quote]While I agree with her here, I’d be happy if she gets primaried.

You won't be happy with who she gets primaried by.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2021 10:02 PM

I'd rather have the Cheneys and the Kinzingers get primaried, and the entire Party become QAnon types. Marj Q Green should be the face of the Republican Party. They'll never win a national election again.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2021 10:28 PM

R29 - don’t be so sure about that, and dread the day it happens.

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2021 10:35 PM

Liz Cheney supports REAL Republican values... like racism, homophobia, mass shootings, cutting access to health care, and taking away a woman's right to make decisions about her own body.

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2021 10:58 PM

Cheney and W paved the way for 2016-2020

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2021 11:09 PM

I agree with you, R23. Daddy Cheney is keeping track and those fuckers will pay.

Actually, it could be the plan: Liz baits them, the Qunts and Trumpers in the GQP show their fat asses, Daddy Cheney makes a list and destroys them all, one-by-one.

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2021 11:32 PM

Liz is just pissed that Trump took power away from crazed murderous globalist nwo neocons like her daddy.

Loathed by her own party. Lol doesn’t look good for her.

by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2021 11:42 PM

Liz Cheney has really achieved something special: Hated by Republicans and Democrats alike.

by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2021 12:17 AM

While some of them are just completely around the bend, I do believe there are some who would like to stand up to Trump but are afraid to do so because of the MAGA mob. If they'd just nut up like Liz, they'd suffer in the short term, but eventually be free of the whims of Trump as he will *always* shit on people - no matter how loyal you are.

by Anonymousreply 36May 4, 2021 11:36 AM

What I can't wrap my head around is why that orange abortion is still making 'statements' like this and is still getting any publicity for it? Why isn't he in jail or been straightjacketed yet?

by Anonymousreply 37May 4, 2021 1:43 PM

It really says quite a bit when a fundie like Mittens, a closet case like Kinzinger and and a lady Liz Cheney have the biggest balls in your party.

All the others are pretty much gutless, sackless shitlickers.

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2021 1:52 PM

From CNN:

Ohio Republican Rep. Anthony Gonzalez hasn't been in Washington long, but he's been there long enough to understand his party is rotting from the inside out.

Asked by The Hill newspaper about efforts to remove Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney from Republican Party leadership because of her vote to impeach former President Donald Trump, here's what Gonzalez said:

"If a prerequisite for leading our conference is continuing to lie to our voters, then Liz is not the best fit. Liz isn't going to lie to people. Liz is going to say what she believes. She's going to stand on principle. And if that's going to be distracting for folks, she's not the best fit. I wish that weren't the case." Uh, wow.

Just to reiterate: This is a REPUBLICAN member of Congress elected in 2018 in the heart of the Trump era who is saying publicly that many in his party continue to lie to voters, while Cheney does not. (Worth noting: Gonzalez and Cheney were two of the 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump for his role in inciting the January 6 riot at the US Capitol.)

Now, Gonzalez didn't make clear what he believes Republicans are lying about, but it's pretty obvious that he's talking about the Big Lie -- the one Trump and his allies are pushing that the 2020 election was somehow fraudulent or stolen despite no proof or even evidence to back up that claim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2021 2:02 PM

Oh, she was certainly throwing her hat in the ring when she voted in the impeachment. I wonder how that percentage works out for the anti-trump contenders. 50% political move, 50% ideals based?

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2021 2:10 PM

All this fuss for an old, morbidly obese ignoramus. Isn't that crazy? They're fucking over their voters, their party and OUR COUNTRY for a tangerine colored fatass who could drop dead any second and who was responsible for killing at least half a million Americans.

What the fucking hell is wrong with them?

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2021 2:17 PM

[quote]All this fuss for an old, morbidly obese ignoramus. Isn't that crazy?

No, it's predictable. This isn't about Trump. That clown is a stupid fuck with the vocabulary of an 8 year old. It was his hate that got them to swoon. It's about what we all knew the GOP to be: Racist, bigoted trash.

Some hick in WV with less money than I leave for a tip, votes Republican because he thinks being "wHite" means he's entitled to things he never actually earned, but he resents that it's going to "them fer'ners and coloreds" in his mind.

Obama and his family were a Norman Rockwell painting, yet these trashy Trump supporters think the Trump family comprised of a scummy, foul-mouthed adulterer married three times (with the last wife having a "dubious" profession and having been here illegally) and shitty, conniving kids, brought "American values" back to the WH.

This has been going on a very long time. It cannot be repeated enough: "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." LBJ

Trump --who looks down on everyone including those idiots who worship him-- gave them non-white, non-Christian groups to look down on. They gravitated to that simpleton because he expressed plain ol' hat.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2021 7:52 PM

hatE*

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2021 7:53 PM

I'm getting very sick of the liberal media's praise of Liz Cheney, talking about her courage, and how brave she is, and how she's doing the right thing. Um no, this fucking cunt voted with Trump's agenda 93% of the time. She's an awful, ultra right-wing bitch who hails from a family of war criminals.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2021 11:24 PM

At the moment, she is the only Republican standing up to the Big Lie and Trumpism. I support these efforts.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2021 11:31 PM

I love that her own trash Party is kicking her to the curb. She chose to be associated with garbage, and now they're taking out the trash.

by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2021 12:13 AM

If you told me 10 years ago that I would be (somewhat) supporting Cheney, I would have laughed. And now I'm not laughing.

by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2021 12:26 AM

She loved Trump just fine the 93% of the time she voted for his Trumpian policies. It’s only when the Trump Mob stormed the Capitol and tried to kill members of Congress like her that suddenly she has a problem with him. Typical Republican hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2021 2:28 PM

Not unlike Mitt's impeachment vote, the powers that be at home must have told her that they stand behind her & she will not be primaried (or if she is, Big Dick will have them killed) and that her stand gives the weak kneed & the wavering someone to stand behind. I think she's playing the long game on the assumption that Trump is going down & he'll take the others with him and she's poised to take it all. That doesn't exactly make her Mrs. Profile In Courage, but any person standing up to a bully - whatever their motivation - weakens that bully's potency & emboldens the fearful & meek

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2021 2:37 PM

I doubt she's doing the right thing just to do the right thing. She's one of the few GOPers with a brain--no heart, like the rest of them, but a brain. She'll definitely be on the right side of history, and my guess is that she's banking on "history" happening pretty quickly (inside info on Trump and his minions being prosecuted, exposed, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2021 3:00 PM

The problem with her is that she’s more palatable to suburban women voters than someone like Marj Green. That’s not good...we don’t want a right-winger who is electable.

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2021 3:24 PM

[quote]She loved Trump just fine the 93% of the time she voted for his Trumpian policies.

I have no use for Cheney or anyone else with an R after their name, but did you really expect Republicans to vote against policies they like because they were proffered or favored by Trump (even if they despise him)?

by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2021 3:26 PM

Is she still against her lesbian sister’s lifestyle?

by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2021 3:32 PM

[quote]I have no use for Cheney or anyone else with an R after their name, but did you really expect Republicans to vote against policies they like because they were proffered or favored by Trump (even if they despise him)?

No, I fully expect people like Cheney to vote for ultra-right-wing policies. I have a problem with liberals now trying to claim that an ultra-right-winger like Liz Cheney is some sort of hero to be applauded.

by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2021 3:32 PM

Maybe by the left applauding Cheney more and more, the right will hate her more and more--and defeat her in Wyoming

by Anonymousreply 55May 5, 2021 5:43 PM

R55 you won't like who will take her place, and with the changes that are coming as a result of the census and retirements you really won't like a House filled with MTGs.

by Anonymousreply 56May 5, 2021 8:56 PM

Cheney doubles down in a new WaPo Op-Ed:

In public statements again this week, former president Donald Trump has repeated his claims that the 2020 election was a fraud and was stolen. His message: I am still the rightful president, and President Biden is illegitimate. Trump repeats these words now with full knowledge that exactly this type of language provoked violence on Jan. 6. And, as the Justice Department and multiple federal judges have suggested, there is good reason to believe that Trump’s language can provoke violence again.

Trump is seeking to unravel critical elements of our constitutional structure that make democracy work — confidence in the result of elections and the rule of law. No other American president has ever done this. The Republican Party is at a turning point, and Republicans must decide whether we are going to choose truth and fidelity to the Constitution. In the immediate wake of the violence of Jan. 6, almost all of us knew the gravity and the cause of what had just happened — we had witnessed it firsthand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 5, 2021 9:57 PM

[quote]The Republican Party is at a turning point, and Republicans must decide whether we are going to choose truth and fidelity to the Constitution.

Does she really not understand that Republicans don't give a shit about truth, fidelity, or the Constitution?? What planet has she been living? Republicans are a Party of fringe lunatics.

by Anonymousreply 58May 5, 2021 11:03 PM

Didn't they have a secret vote some month ago where she got overwhelming support?

I do understand why the GQP is hanging onto Trump. He, like no other republican candidate before him can bring the deplorables to the polls. This is why they still want him to be the face of the party. Trump nurtured this cult like following and he knows they love him and eat up his shit.

by Anonymousreply 59May 6, 2021 12:08 AM

But what's weird, R59, their love of Trump doesn't necessarily translate into support for Trump backed candidates. His track record as a kingmaker is hugely spotty.

by Anonymousreply 60May 6, 2021 12:48 AM

Liz Cheney is playing a 'very smart long game,' says GOP strategist

Republican strategist Susan Del Percio writes in a new NBC Think column that 'The Republicans in Washington know Cheney is right. They simply do not care.' Del Percio joins Morning Joe to discuss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 7, 2021 4:38 AM

Unfortunately it looks like she's toast.

They don't want level-headed, measured leaders who prefer facts and truth leading the GOP now.

by Anonymousreply 62May 7, 2021 5:00 AM

She should break off and form a new party. The GOP is a rotting, flyblown carcass.

by Anonymousreply 63May 7, 2021 10:30 AM

What a gross, pathetic, opportunistic whore Stefanik is. Jesus Christ, does she have even a shred of dignity or ethics? Is she such a power-hungry asshole that she so easily lies? That shithead knows she's lying. She's not stupid.

by Anonymousreply 64May 7, 2021 2:40 PM

Stefanik is first generation college attendee. She went to Harvard! Harvard has rescinded her current activities at Harvard on any committees etc. Because she is a LIAR. Pathetic person. Brazen and craven.

The GOP is imploding.

by Anonymousreply 65May 7, 2021 2:45 PM

It's basically truth and values vs. cult of personality and lies.

by Anonymousreply 66May 7, 2021 2:47 PM

R65 they aren’t imploding. Quite the contrary. They’re purging the few remaining members who stood up to Trump’s election lies.

by Anonymousreply 67May 7, 2021 2:47 PM

I felt a little bad for Liz. Then I went to her Twitter account where she went after Biden and his first 100 days. I no longer feel bad for her. Let the infighting continue. The GOP and their cult are intent to go down this rabbit hole at all costs. Maybe a new party will emerge.

by Anonymousreply 68May 7, 2021 2:53 PM

It's one thing if Trump were Steve Bannon in that although Bannon is just a repugnant parasite, he is still an intelligent person. Trump is a fucking idiot and an absolute slimeball!

This only proves what narcissistic trash his supporters are, because most of them are fucking idiots. They want a racist clown who is as stupid and hateful as them to lead. They're pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 69May 7, 2021 2:55 PM

Isn't it ironic that the GOP loves to rail against 'the elites,' yet their ranks are full of Ivy leaguers and their leader is a billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 70May 7, 2021 2:56 PM

R70, did you hear Cruz talking about how the GOP is the party for the "working man with calluses on his hands." Cruz who is such an elitist going back to the days where if you didn't attend Harvard, Princeton or Yale as an undergrad, he didn't want you in his study group in law school.

Face it, those "working men" who vote GOP and who gravitated to an orange clown who fucked over working people at every turn and ignoring that Trump would like nothing more than dinner with elitists and Hollywood celebs, are assholes who think only white people are considered "working men" like there aren't millions of non-whites working their asses off and paying even more in taxes than they do. They're racists shits who don't want anyone else benefiting from the system despite having themselves put money into the system.

Entitled, selfish white "working" men and even those on welfare living in trailers, don't want anyone else being helped.

by Anonymousreply 71May 7, 2021 3:08 PM

Cruz is one of those bizarre creatures like the sea cucumber that shits through its mouth.

by Anonymousreply 72May 7, 2021 4:00 PM

^Perfect

by Anonymousreply 73May 7, 2021 4:04 PM

The Trumpistas don't want Stefanik either, despite Don-don's endorsement.

Endless whining online about the "RINO" the GOP establishment is trying to foist on them.

Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 74May 7, 2021 4:13 PM

we MUST keep the house and senate. Who is going to lead this fight? They are stack the decks in every red state.

by Anonymousreply 75May 7, 2021 4:25 PM

Think about it: The Voice of Reason is now Dick Cheney's Daughter!

What a world, what a world!

by Anonymousreply 76May 7, 2021 4:26 PM

They haven't won the popular vote for president in 30 years. They are robbing the country blind.

by Anonymousreply 77May 7, 2021 4:26 PM

Here's the good news R71-- most hard-core Trumpists are not hard-core Republicans.

They support Trump, not the GOP

For reasons historians will debate for centuries to come, they believe that the spoiled son of a NY real estate millionaire represents their interests. But they look at a Cruz or a Hawley and see yet another Ivy League snot who "thinks he's better than us"

Point being most of them will go back to doing what they did before Trump: not voting at all.

by Anonymousreply 78May 7, 2021 4:32 PM

[quote]They haven't won the popular vote for president in 30 years.

And the Senate Dems represent millions more people than Reps, yet they have equal or more power than they should. Not to mention many of those shit, red states having a say over the purse strings don't even pay for shit.

by Anonymousreply 79May 7, 2021 5:12 PM

I don't think the problem is that Cheney is telling the truth... I think the real problem for Republicans is the frequency of her attacks on Trump. The establishment's plan to deal with Trump was basically to not mention him as much as possible... that's why McConnell and others have ignored Trump's attacks through his press releases or blog. Basically, they were trying to avoid the Streisand effect.

Instead of ignoring Trump, Cheney is feeding the beast by continuing to give him negative attention. Instead of the media focusing on the Republican attacks against Biden's policy initiatives - which they hope will win back Biden Republicans - instead the media is focused on Liz's one-woman crusade to mention Trump over... and over... and over.

At this point, Cheney is a liability.

by Anonymousreply 80May 7, 2021 5:26 PM

R80, but how can you even ignore Trump when they're passing restrictive voting laws based on that clown lying? And look at AZ alone. She needs to call it out because their allowing this complete insanity to be normalized.

Not mentioning him or letting him play in the mud led to this. Led to 1/6. They keep "ignoring" him at their own peril. I wouldn't give a shit about the in-fighting, but the rest of us normal people are at the mercy of those GOP terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 81May 7, 2021 5:32 PM

If she can keep this up she can win. Too bad she can't count on mitt to join forces. She should get him a pair from wherever she got hers.

by Anonymousreply 82May 7, 2021 7:09 PM

If the MAGATs don't want Stefanik, I shudder to think who they DO want. Mo Brooks?? Tuberville??

by Anonymousreply 83May 7, 2021 7:15 PM

Fun fact: Liz Cheney was behind the memo the military put out in December proclaiming their complete neutrality in the 2020 election.

by Anonymousreply 84May 7, 2021 7:19 PM

[quote]At this point, Cheney is a liability.

You may be right, but I'd never count out the Cheneys; short of a stake through the heart & garlic stuffed in their mouths, I won't believe they're actually dead

by Anonymousreply 85May 7, 2021 9:24 PM

I knew something was up when George F. Will left the Republican party on 2016. Over the years the R's are losing members in droves and all that will be left is a party that will never win a national election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 7, 2021 9:58 PM

We can only hope, R86.

by Anonymousreply 87May 7, 2021 10:31 PM

Lon Cheney?

by Anonymousreply 88May 7, 2021 10:45 PM

The Big Lie, bigger than anything Trump has said, is the Cheney family’s claim that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. The Cheney family only achieves anything by lying. That’s sick to embrace her.

by Anonymousreply 89May 8, 2021 3:22 AM

Absolutely true, r89, but here’s the dilemma. I don’t know if I prefer the Republican Party to denounce Trump and declare the election was free and fair and Biden won, or continue on their (imbecilic) path of supporting him and losing more mainstream voters. It’s just natural instinct to at least appreciate that one of them understands the lunacy on the Dump side, because the continued story they’re bleating that Dump won the election is infuriating.. But in the end, better for us that they continue to embrace the guy at 32 percent approval who also lost the popular vote twice in two national elections.

Cheney and his ilk perpetrated perhaps the biggest lie ever to the American people re weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and here we are still paying the price 20 years later.

by Anonymousreply 90May 8, 2021 1:11 PM

[quote]But in the end, better for us that they continue to embrace the guy at 32 percent approval who also lost the popular vote twice in two national elections.

This.

by Anonymousreply 91May 8, 2021 1:18 PM

The big lie is the only thing that holds the cult together.

by Anonymousreply 92May 8, 2021 3:32 PM

Trump has now legendary talent for destroying everything and everyone that gets close to him.

by Anonymousreply 93May 9, 2021 1:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!