Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Evolution of Gaga

Listening to The Fame and that album is primitive as fuck. Too synth heavy and her voice was still very girlish and unformed. A year later she came out with Bad Romance and The Fame Monster and blew everyone away. A much better produced album than The Fame, with zero filler at just 8 songs.

Born This Way (2011) is the album that cemented Gaga as an icon. It is effusively the essence of Gaga: loud, brash, offbeat and emotional.

ARTPOP (2013) was an experiment in noise. Spotty and all over the place. 6/10 at best, but it has some bright moments.

Joanne (2016) is Gaga's most forgettable album but it yielded her best ballad, Million Reasons. Joanne, along with A Star is Born (2018) saw Gaga returning to her true roots as the girl playing piano ballads in New York City bars.

Chromatica (her sixth album released in 2020) is a good example of her evolution as an artist and person. Her voice is clear, vibrant, and raw – there's even a "punk growl" that emerges. She manages to make the very personal universal. It's an album full of feeling: fear, anxiety, joy and sadness, and the dead throb of depression. It expounds on Born This Way and generally magnifies her best musical moments. Gaga became a musical genius with this record.

It will be interesting to follow Gaga as she continues to evolve as an artist and to see where she goes, and to see where she takes her talent, but more importantly, her expression.

Interesting video posted by Rob Fusari, the producer who worked with her on early songs like Paparazzi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2021 4:46 AM

She's so evolved that she should take the next 50-70 years off so everyone else can catch up.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2021 5:47 PM

So true, R1

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2021 5:48 PM

Wow, Datalounge really can't stand Gaga. She is the opposite of a DL fave (DL pariah?)

People are really pressed by her immense talent

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2021 9:55 PM

Nobody likes her.

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2021 9:56 PM

r4 Speak for yourself, you blithering cunt

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2021 10:16 PM

Yet, y’all just filled a whole Billie Eillish thread???

I don’t get the shade for Gaga here either..

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 12:58 AM

No shortage of bad taste, R6 lol. I'm sure they don't like Eyelash either, but with Gaga you get silence or rabid hatred

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 2:11 AM

Love Chromatica. It got me through the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 2:27 AM

The album or the Oreos?

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 2:30 AM

Wasn't that the guy who raped her?

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 5:52 AM

Yeah R10, but they also dated. There was also another singer he was working with named Lina Morgana who fell to her death from a hotel rooftop. Gaga fans joke that she pushed the girl! 🤣

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 6:04 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2021 4:27 AM

Her music is very hit or miss. But I respect her talent, hard work and hustle. She paid her dues.

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2021 4:36 AM

sadly her "evolution" was really short lived, Gaga now needs to borrow Ariana's name to get on chart. I speak as a fan of hers, but the reality is her time has passed, she has little to no chance to succeed again in current music business, her last album generated one hit only, the one with Ariana, and people tuned in for Ariana, not her.

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2021 4:39 AM

Her first two albums were her best in my opinion. She got way too hung up on trying to prove her artistic merit and made albums just to show her range. She's sort of a jack of all trades, master of none. But she got what she wanted anyway, so good for her

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2021 4:45 AM

Chromatica is near flawless dance pop record. There really isn't a bad song. And ASIB has Gaga's best song: Always Remember Us This Way.

Gaga is here to stay simply because she has the goods to do whatever she wants. Even if Joanne underperformed, she then gave us ASIB, which was a better produced Joanne and which (I believe) just passed The Fame Monster in sales. She's about to put out another jazz album with Tony Bennett (his swan song). If those fail, she'll find something else that works for her.

The only reason she's hated here is because most DLers came of age during the 80s. So it's Madonna v Janet v Whitney. Which is understandable. Oh, and the whole Gaga/Madonna feud doesn't help.

But for those of us who came of age during the late 90s/00s? It's Gaga all the way. Or at least we understand why she's the icon she is. She might not be everyone's favorite, but her place in the pantheon is set for us.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2021 6:24 AM

Yeah she's undeniably talented. Some on DL (not all) love to hype up Madonna as more talented than everyone but the fact is Madonna can't sing or act or dance. Gaga can sing and act. Beyoncé also can sing and dance. If you want to call out no-talents then go for Britney, Dua, Billie or Rihanna. Gaga, Beyoncé, Adele and Ariana are talented.

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2021 1:46 PM

Gaga is one of the greatest of all time. I need some alternative music from her, ahhhh

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2021 3:35 AM

"Look What I Found" From ASIB is soooo good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2021 3:43 AM

She sounded so happy and peppy here in this video with Archie.

Now she sounds all drugged out and slurs her words ala Liza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2021 3:46 AM

I guarantee you she was doing more drugs around the time of that link than she does now, R20.

(And since when is a pop star - or anyone in their 20s - doing drugs a big deal?)

by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2021 4:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!