Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Keto

Anyone here ever try it?

What were your results?

I want to drop about 30lbs and heard it is a good way to do it.

Not going crazy with it but doing little things like substituting low carb wraps and Egglife for bread. Cutting out potatoes and eating cauliflower instead.

My boss swears by it and has dropped over 60lbs since starting last Fall.

by Anonymousreply 5105/04/2021

There's a lot of good info on YouTube, OP. Good luck.

It can be difficult to eliminate carbs completely. There's hidden sugar in most prepared/packaged foods and condiments. Seemingly healthy vegetables actually have a high glycolic index. You have to know what you're doing to get results on Keto.

by Anonymousreply 105/03/2021

Just remember that weight loss is simply a numbers game. You have to pick a number that will leave you in a daily calorie deficit (for many women it is 1200 calories, for men 1800.) That’s it. No magic, just numbers.

You can also help yourself by lifting weights because muscle burns more calories than fat. You will also develop a leaner look.

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2021

I was constantly hungry. Hated every minute of it. Went back to pasta, ate less, feel great, look amazing.

by Anonymousreply 305/03/2021

I was able to lose my COVID-25 with keto. Took a little over 4 months and I've kept it off for 5 months. R2 is right though--you absolutely still need to calorie restrict. Keto just makes it a million times easier. I'm a woman so I needed to stick to 1200 or less a day in order to lose and now maintain at around 1400, but there's no way I'd be able to stick to those numbers if I was having carb cravings all day.

by Anonymousreply 405/03/2021

The most important fact you will hear about Keto and any no carb or low carb "diet" They are sustainable. Like any diet you will lose the weight quickly and get a high off it. But its about changing habits. And if you are addicted to sugar before and go back to it, you will gain the weight back. I speak from experience. Sugar is the real culprit. Its killing this country.

by Anonymousreply 505/03/2021

R5 here. The big fact I tried to make and I screwed it up. LOL. They are NOT sustainable. Sorry about that.

by Anonymousreply 605/03/2021

I did very dirty Keto for almost a year and lost 45 lbs. I was able to keep it off throughout covid. Never counted calories. No sugar, pasta, bread and potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 705/03/2021

on you tube look for Thomas DeLozuer (I think that is how you spell it) he give excellent info on how to start - and he is fucking beautiful. Also Joe the diet chef who has really good keto recipes. I have been doing Keto for years now to maintain what I lost. I am just a person who cannot have carbs without gaining weight. When I started I was religious, workouts, keto, intermittent fasting - all of it. I lost 60 lbs and put on about 20 in muscle thanks to heavy workout routine. I got the body I always wanted but I have to stick to it. I allow myself one cheat day a week and adjust it if i go out and can't eat clean. Luckily I live in LA where KETO is pretty much the norm. Keto bread, keto bagels, keto everything. It is easy here. It might not be so easy in BFE but stick to it. R5 is right if you lose the weight then just go back to eating like you did before you will just be fat again.

by Anonymousreply 805/03/2021

a friend on fb did some kind of diet, I think he mainly cut out carbs, he lost a lot of weight, looked great. Cut to this year, just saw a pic he posted. He gained all that weight back and more...

Don't let this be you.

It's very hard to lose weight esp as you get older. good luck!

by Anonymousreply 905/03/2021

r9 If Keto works for you, you lose a lot of weight, then most likely you have carb issues. Going back to regular eating will only pack those pounds back on. Low carb/no carb is a lifestyle not a temporary thing. Some people can eat whatever they want. Some of us have to work at it to stay in shape. It's to the point now where if I do go on a carb bender I feel like shit. I had a reese egg over easter - god it so was good, but I got a headache and felt sick an hour later.

by Anonymousreply 1005/03/2021

I think the point of Keto is that you MUST sustain it. You don't quit carbs, lose the weight, then resume pasta, bagels, ice cream, etc. You must change the way you eat each day and think about each meal.

I like R8's approach, with the occasional cheat day.

by Anonymousreply 1105/03/2021

I keep carbs to 50 grams or less, per day. That works for me.

by Anonymousreply 1205/03/2021

Will work wonders if you stick with it. As it's been said upthread, it's a commitment forever otherwise you risk becoming Rick De Santis if you go off of it.

by Anonymousreply 1305/03/2021

[quote]I keep carbs to 50 grams or less, per day.

Wow, really?

My boss said to keep it to 20g or less.

So far today I've had a handful of almonds when I got to work at 7am. At 10am, first break, I had a wrap using Egglife with a slice of gouda and 2 Jimmy Dean sausage links.

Just had lunch now. Another wrap using low carb sun dried tomato with mustard, lettuce, a slice of cheddar and some turkey along with a side salad.

I'm stuffed.

by Anonymousreply 1405/03/2021

How many carbs in eating Joe The Diet Chef's ass?

by Anonymousreply 1505/03/2021

Corn? When did I eat corn?

by Anonymousreply 1605/03/2021

I've tried it three times, and never lost any significant weight. And I hated the meals, and felt like crap.

A friend tried it and lost 100 pounds, and her diabetes and cholesterol lab numbers greatly improved, and she looked and felt great!

I really don't think it works for everyone, but it definitely works for some.

by Anonymousreply 1705/03/2021

If you run the risk for diabetes or it is highly present in your family then it works wonders as a preventative measure.

Agree with the poster above, sugar is a killer. And it is almost everything.

by Anonymousreply 1805/03/2021

R14 keep it to 20g a less or day for weight loss and to kick you into ketosis, then 50-80g or less a day for maintenance. You may need to play around with your macros for a while to find your sweet spot. Some men can hit ketosis on as many as 30 grams a day, some (like me and my wife) needed to go as low as 15 to keep steady weight loss, but we're both women.

Remember, you're not counting total carbs, but total NET carbs, which is the total number of carbs minus total fiber and sugar alcohols. 20g a day feels grueling at first, but after a few months of that, 50g feels like a goddamn bacchanal. Thinking of it as a forever lifestyle will feel daunting in the beginning, but I can assure you that 50g a day of net carbs plus a cheat day every two weeks (where I literally eat whatever the hell I want for 12 hours) will make it so that you can maintain your bod without having to think that you'll NEVER be able to eat cherry garcia again.

There are a plethora of keto subreddits out there for support and advice. And carbmanager.com is indispensable until you get well into maintenance and have macro counting down to sixth sense.

by Anonymousreply 1905/03/2021

Tried it for around month a couple of years ago.

Hated it. Would rather be dead than eat that way again.

by Anonymousreply 2005/03/2021

Yes! I am on a keto diet not for the weight loss (although I did lose any excess I put on last year over lockdown) but as a way of combating cancer alongside my treatment. It’s tough to get started because you have to reevaluate everything. But I fucking love it now. I feel better, and it’s great for a number of health conditions (in my case it’s much harder for cancer cells to metabolise when your body is in ketosis than glycolysis). I’ve found masses of things I love, including Dierdre’s low carb bread Recipe (awesome), and have finally mastered sugar-free, flour-free baking to indulge my sweet tooth. Took some experimenting and trial and error and it’s harder to stay in ketosis than you might think (you can buy strips to test your urine) but it’s worth it.

by Anonymousreply 2105/03/2021

Any special brand of test strips you recommend?

by Anonymousreply 2205/03/2021

It works. It’s not easy; I stayed on for several years and fell off during Covid. It’s a bitch to get back.

by Anonymousreply 2305/03/2021

I do it - I find it very easy now that I'm used to it - I've been doing it since January. I used a blood monitor to check I was in ketosis which wasn't very expensive, but I'm in NZ so we probably have different brands. Mine is Caresens brand.

My goal was to lose weight but i feel much healthier already so probably will just continue it after I reach my goal weight for the health benefits. The hardest transition for me was to have to cook all my own food from scratch - we don't have keto convenience foods here and I've never enjoyed cooking.

by Anonymousreply 2405/03/2021

There is no magic diet that works for everyone—including this one. I tried it and had bad stomach pain. High fat diets don’t agree with me. The best diet for me is calorie reduction.

by Anonymousreply 2505/03/2021

I did it religiously for about 6 months and dropped from obese to the healthy weight range. I gradually switched to lowish carb and two meals a day. Kept the weight off for two years but COVID and a very merry Xmas this year saw me regain 5kg. I'm working lots of overtime and caring for a parent with a shoulder replacement, so I can't put the energy into diet just now. But I'm retiring in three months, so I'll get onto it. The good thing is knowing those 5kg are easy to lose once I start.

I find keto pretty easy, especially now there are some semi-decent low carb breads and noodles available. It's simple, one small and one big meal with plenty of protein and veg., lots of coffee with cream, nuts and cheese for snacks and protein bars or berries with cream for sweets.

by Anonymousreply 2605/03/2021

Does keto give you a heart attack eventually just like atkins?

by Anonymousreply 2705/03/2021

Not to be rude, but does ketosis make your pee smell... different? And a different color?

Asking for a keto friend.

by Anonymousreply 2805/03/2021

I’ve done it. Depends on your chemistry, in my opinion. I’d you are pre-diabetic and constantly crave carbs like they’re a drug, it will probably work well for you. If you don’t have that disposition, you probably won’t get the same results. And don’t use any of the fake keto replacement crap on the market these days. It fucks with your body’s ability to actually lose the fat.

by Anonymousreply 2905/03/2021

[quote]Does keto give you a heart attack eventually just like atkins?

I don't really eat that much fat on keto - I have a deficit because I want my body to use the fat that's on it, not what I consume. I get my fats from stuff like avocado, nuts, seeds, fatty fish like salmon. I guess there are people who stuff themselves with bacon fat all day but they probably aren't losing much weight. I guess it's the choices you make. From what I've seen online, in the states you can just eat keto bars and premade products all day and still technically be "keto" - it depends what you want to put in your body.

by Anonymousreply 3005/03/2021

According to the experts, it's essential to consume quality fats and lean protein on keto. A lot of fat in packaged foods and processed meats (sausage, cold cuts, etc.) is really low quality and bad for you.

by Anonymousreply 3105/03/2021

I just eat half the portion sizes I’d normally have and skip breakfast every other day or so. I can’t do Keto.

by Anonymousreply 3205/03/2021

This isn't the guy who lived in O.J.'s pool house?

by Anonymousreply 3305/03/2021

R33 No, he’s the Green Hornet’s sidekick.

by Anonymousreply 3405/04/2021

r30 The goal of Keto is to get the body to burn fat rather than carbs for energy.

by Anonymousreply 3505/04/2021

Personally, I lost twenty pounds and was never hungry. All my bloodwork numbers improved. So, i had success.

Getting ready to restart and lose the next twenty.

by Anonymousreply 3605/04/2021

How bad is Caesar dressing? I'm assuming not too bad since Ranch and Bleu Cheese are Keto.

Had a bagged Caesar salad last night that was 18g of carbs. I'm assuming that was mainly from the croutons which I trashed while just mixing the Romaine, real bacon, parmesan cheese and dressing.

by Anonymousreply 3705/04/2021

Watch out for carbs in bottled/prepared salad dressings. There's often a lot of sugar.

I've started making my own dressings, which is a challenge at times.

by Anonymousreply 3805/04/2021

Bad. High in fat and other processed shit. I just use vinegar on salads. Save a ton of calories that way.

by Anonymousreply 3905/04/2021

The fat is the point, it's the carbs to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 4005/04/2021

I did it while having radiation and it helped me a lot

by Anonymousreply 4105/04/2021

Yeah, but as soon as I ate regular food I gained it all back. I did better with Keto-light, the South Beach Diet. I checked out a cookbook from the library. I kept the weight off until an injury kept me chair bound too long.

by Anonymousreply 4205/04/2021

Keto is a good steppingstone to carnivore, and then the weight will really start to come off. Some people need a longer time than others to win themselves off of carbohydrates. But this helps you understand why cauliflower is less bad for you than sugar but neither of them will ever take the place of a New York strip steak made from 100% beef.

by Anonymousreply 4305/04/2021

"Just remember that weight loss is simply a numbers game. "

So is Keno, r2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4405/04/2021

Stupid no-sugar trend will give you Alzheimer's before 60. Too little and too much of sugar are bad for the brain. American fattards are always extreme in everything they do, too much and never enough.

by Anonymousreply 4505/04/2021

That xenophobic slur of yours is rooted in zero scientific reality whatsoever. Sugar causes obesity and a whole lot of other diseases. Taking it out of your diet will not, I repeat, NOT kill you. You will not die if you don’t eat carbohydrates.

In fact, they probably killed Shelby in [italic]Steel Magnolias[/italic] with that “drink your juice” bit. Giving juice to a diabetic is like giving a sunlamp to a vampire. 80s diet logic at its worst.

by Anonymousreply 4605/04/2021

Keto can be hard on your kidneys...Drink plenty of water

by Anonymousreply 4705/04/2021

The standard American diet is worse for your liver. Ever hear of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease?

by Anonymousreply 4805/04/2021

R8 You were able to build muscle and work out harder on keto? This has been debated regularly. I am in the camp of thinking it can be done.

I had success with keto but had to have major surgery with an injury that calls for a 12-18 month heal time, so I have gained. I’m trying to start again but it is difficult now that I am living with my mother. To those who are starting- download an app that will calculate and track your macros. This is a crucial step in keto being successful. Most are very easy to use, just plug in what you ate and how much (you will need a food scale) and it will take the guessing out of it all. I had great success with keto and it improved everything from my mood to my skin and energy levels.

by Anonymousreply 4905/04/2021

Thomas DeLauer seemed to have worked for him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5005/04/2021

[quote]The goal of Keto is to get the body to burn fat rather than carbs for energy.

Yes, I am aware of that and I am in ketosis, so my body is burning fat instead of glucose. However, if you want to lose weight you need your body to burn your own body fat as well as fats you consume, so you still have to be in a fat deficit, otherwise you won't lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 5105/04/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!