Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Keto

Anyone here ever try it?

What were your results?

I want to drop about 30lbs and heard it is a good way to do it.

Not going crazy with it but doing little things like substituting low carb wraps and Egglife for bread. Cutting out potatoes and eating cauliflower instead.

My boss swears by it and has dropped over 60lbs since starting last Fall.

by Anonymousreply 153September 23, 2021 12:45 PM

There's a lot of good info on YouTube, OP. Good luck.

It can be difficult to eliminate carbs completely. There's hidden sugar in most prepared/packaged foods and condiments. Seemingly healthy vegetables actually have a high glycolic index. You have to know what you're doing to get results on Keto.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2021 2:44 PM

Just remember that weight loss is simply a numbers game. You have to pick a number that will leave you in a daily calorie deficit (for many women it is 1200 calories, for men 1800.) That’s it. No magic, just numbers.

You can also help yourself by lifting weights because muscle burns more calories than fat. You will also develop a leaner look.

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2021 2:45 PM

I was constantly hungry. Hated every minute of it. Went back to pasta, ate less, feel great, look amazing.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2021 2:55 PM

I was able to lose my COVID-25 with keto. Took a little over 4 months and I've kept it off for 5 months. R2 is right though--you absolutely still need to calorie restrict. Keto just makes it a million times easier. I'm a woman so I needed to stick to 1200 or less a day in order to lose and now maintain at around 1400, but there's no way I'd be able to stick to those numbers if I was having carb cravings all day.

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2021 3:01 PM

The most important fact you will hear about Keto and any no carb or low carb "diet" They are sustainable. Like any diet you will lose the weight quickly and get a high off it. But its about changing habits. And if you are addicted to sugar before and go back to it, you will gain the weight back. I speak from experience. Sugar is the real culprit. Its killing this country.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2021 3:03 PM

R5 here. The big fact I tried to make and I screwed it up. LOL. They are NOT sustainable. Sorry about that.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2021 3:04 PM

I did very dirty Keto for almost a year and lost 45 lbs. I was able to keep it off throughout covid. Never counted calories. No sugar, pasta, bread and potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2021 3:05 PM

on you tube look for Thomas DeLozuer (I think that is how you spell it) he give excellent info on how to start - and he is fucking beautiful. Also Joe the diet chef who has really good keto recipes. I have been doing Keto for years now to maintain what I lost. I am just a person who cannot have carbs without gaining weight. When I started I was religious, workouts, keto, intermittent fasting - all of it. I lost 60 lbs and put on about 20 in muscle thanks to heavy workout routine. I got the body I always wanted but I have to stick to it. I allow myself one cheat day a week and adjust it if i go out and can't eat clean. Luckily I live in LA where KETO is pretty much the norm. Keto bread, keto bagels, keto everything. It is easy here. It might not be so easy in BFE but stick to it. R5 is right if you lose the weight then just go back to eating like you did before you will just be fat again.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2021 3:06 PM

a friend on fb did some kind of diet, I think he mainly cut out carbs, he lost a lot of weight, looked great. Cut to this year, just saw a pic he posted. He gained all that weight back and more...

Don't let this be you.

It's very hard to lose weight esp as you get older. good luck!

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2021 3:07 PM

r9 If Keto works for you, you lose a lot of weight, then most likely you have carb issues. Going back to regular eating will only pack those pounds back on. Low carb/no carb is a lifestyle not a temporary thing. Some people can eat whatever they want. Some of us have to work at it to stay in shape. It's to the point now where if I do go on a carb bender I feel like shit. I had a reese egg over easter - god it so was good, but I got a headache and felt sick an hour later.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2021 3:12 PM

I think the point of Keto is that you MUST sustain it. You don't quit carbs, lose the weight, then resume pasta, bagels, ice cream, etc. You must change the way you eat each day and think about each meal.

I like R8's approach, with the occasional cheat day.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2021 3:28 PM

I keep carbs to 50 grams or less, per day. That works for me.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2021 4:21 PM

Will work wonders if you stick with it. As it's been said upthread, it's a commitment forever otherwise you risk becoming Rick De Santis if you go off of it.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2021 4:37 PM

[quote]I keep carbs to 50 grams or less, per day.

Wow, really?

My boss said to keep it to 20g or less.

So far today I've had a handful of almonds when I got to work at 7am. At 10am, first break, I had a wrap using Egglife with a slice of gouda and 2 Jimmy Dean sausage links.

Just had lunch now. Another wrap using low carb sun dried tomato with mustard, lettuce, a slice of cheddar and some turkey along with a side salad.

I'm stuffed.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2021 6:20 PM

How many carbs in eating Joe The Diet Chef's ass?

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2021 6:23 PM

Corn? When did I eat corn?

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2021 6:48 PM

I've tried it three times, and never lost any significant weight. And I hated the meals, and felt like crap.

A friend tried it and lost 100 pounds, and her diabetes and cholesterol lab numbers greatly improved, and she looked and felt great!

I really don't think it works for everyone, but it definitely works for some.

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2021 7:30 PM

If you run the risk for diabetes or it is highly present in your family then it works wonders as a preventative measure.

Agree with the poster above, sugar is a killer. And it is almost everything.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2021 9:20 PM

R14 keep it to 20g a less or day for weight loss and to kick you into ketosis, then 50-80g or less a day for maintenance. You may need to play around with your macros for a while to find your sweet spot. Some men can hit ketosis on as many as 30 grams a day, some (like me and my wife) needed to go as low as 15 to keep steady weight loss, but we're both women.

Remember, you're not counting total carbs, but total NET carbs, which is the total number of carbs minus total fiber and sugar alcohols. 20g a day feels grueling at first, but after a few months of that, 50g feels like a goddamn bacchanal. Thinking of it as a forever lifestyle will feel daunting in the beginning, but I can assure you that 50g a day of net carbs plus a cheat day every two weeks (where I literally eat whatever the hell I want for 12 hours) will make it so that you can maintain your bod without having to think that you'll NEVER be able to eat cherry garcia again.

There are a plethora of keto subreddits out there for support and advice. And carbmanager.com is indispensable until you get well into maintenance and have macro counting down to sixth sense.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2021 9:48 PM

Tried it for around month a couple of years ago.

Hated it. Would rather be dead than eat that way again.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2021 9:54 PM

Yes! I am on a keto diet not for the weight loss (although I did lose any excess I put on last year over lockdown) but as a way of combating cancer alongside my treatment. It’s tough to get started because you have to reevaluate everything. But I fucking love it now. I feel better, and it’s great for a number of health conditions (in my case it’s much harder for cancer cells to metabolise when your body is in ketosis than glycolysis). I’ve found masses of things I love, including Dierdre’s low carb bread Recipe (awesome), and have finally mastered sugar-free, flour-free baking to indulge my sweet tooth. Took some experimenting and trial and error and it’s harder to stay in ketosis than you might think (you can buy strips to test your urine) but it’s worth it.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2021 10:35 PM

Any special brand of test strips you recommend?

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2021 11:23 PM

It works. It’s not easy; I stayed on for several years and fell off during Covid. It’s a bitch to get back.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2021 11:47 PM

I do it - I find it very easy now that I'm used to it - I've been doing it since January. I used a blood monitor to check I was in ketosis which wasn't very expensive, but I'm in NZ so we probably have different brands. Mine is Caresens brand.

My goal was to lose weight but i feel much healthier already so probably will just continue it after I reach my goal weight for the health benefits. The hardest transition for me was to have to cook all my own food from scratch - we don't have keto convenience foods here and I've never enjoyed cooking.

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2021 2:36 AM

There is no magic diet that works for everyone—including this one. I tried it and had bad stomach pain. High fat diets don’t agree with me. The best diet for me is calorie reduction.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2021 2:42 AM

I did it religiously for about 6 months and dropped from obese to the healthy weight range. I gradually switched to lowish carb and two meals a day. Kept the weight off for two years but COVID and a very merry Xmas this year saw me regain 5kg. I'm working lots of overtime and caring for a parent with a shoulder replacement, so I can't put the energy into diet just now. But I'm retiring in three months, so I'll get onto it. The good thing is knowing those 5kg are easy to lose once I start.

I find keto pretty easy, especially now there are some semi-decent low carb breads and noodles available. It's simple, one small and one big meal with plenty of protein and veg., lots of coffee with cream, nuts and cheese for snacks and protein bars or berries with cream for sweets.

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2021 3:09 AM

Does keto give you a heart attack eventually just like atkins?

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2021 3:33 AM

Not to be rude, but does ketosis make your pee smell... different? And a different color?

Asking for a keto friend.

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2021 3:34 AM

I’ve done it. Depends on your chemistry, in my opinion. I’d you are pre-diabetic and constantly crave carbs like they’re a drug, it will probably work well for you. If you don’t have that disposition, you probably won’t get the same results. And don’t use any of the fake keto replacement crap on the market these days. It fucks with your body’s ability to actually lose the fat.

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2021 3:39 AM

[quote]Does keto give you a heart attack eventually just like atkins?

I don't really eat that much fat on keto - I have a deficit because I want my body to use the fat that's on it, not what I consume. I get my fats from stuff like avocado, nuts, seeds, fatty fish like salmon. I guess there are people who stuff themselves with bacon fat all day but they probably aren't losing much weight. I guess it's the choices you make. From what I've seen online, in the states you can just eat keto bars and premade products all day and still technically be "keto" - it depends what you want to put in your body.

by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2021 3:45 AM

According to the experts, it's essential to consume quality fats and lean protein on keto. A lot of fat in packaged foods and processed meats (sausage, cold cuts, etc.) is really low quality and bad for you.

by Anonymousreply 31May 4, 2021 3:50 AM

I just eat half the portion sizes I’d normally have and skip breakfast every other day or so. I can’t do Keto.

by Anonymousreply 32May 4, 2021 3:52 AM

This isn't the guy who lived in O.J.'s pool house?

by Anonymousreply 33May 4, 2021 5:07 AM

R33 No, he’s the Green Hornet’s sidekick.

by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2021 10:41 AM

r30 The goal of Keto is to get the body to burn fat rather than carbs for energy.

by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2021 2:09 PM

Personally, I lost twenty pounds and was never hungry. All my bloodwork numbers improved. So, i had success.

Getting ready to restart and lose the next twenty.

by Anonymousreply 36May 4, 2021 2:13 PM

How bad is Caesar dressing? I'm assuming not too bad since Ranch and Bleu Cheese are Keto.

Had a bagged Caesar salad last night that was 18g of carbs. I'm assuming that was mainly from the croutons which I trashed while just mixing the Romaine, real bacon, parmesan cheese and dressing.

by Anonymousreply 37May 4, 2021 2:19 PM

Watch out for carbs in bottled/prepared salad dressings. There's often a lot of sugar.

I've started making my own dressings, which is a challenge at times.

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2021 2:24 PM

Bad. High in fat and other processed shit. I just use vinegar on salads. Save a ton of calories that way.

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2021 2:24 PM

The fat is the point, it's the carbs to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2021 3:55 PM

I did it while having radiation and it helped me a lot

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2021 4:07 PM

Yeah, but as soon as I ate regular food I gained it all back. I did better with Keto-light, the South Beach Diet. I checked out a cookbook from the library. I kept the weight off until an injury kept me chair bound too long.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2021 4:35 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2021 4:46 PM

"Just remember that weight loss is simply a numbers game. "

So is Keno, r2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2021 4:49 PM

Stupid no-sugar trend will give you Alzheimer's before 60. Too little and too much of sugar are bad for the brain. American fattards are always extreme in everything they do, too much and never enough.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2021 5:03 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2021 5:17 PM

Keto can be hard on your kidneys...Drink plenty of water

by Anonymousreply 47May 4, 2021 5:59 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 48May 4, 2021 6:39 PM

R8 You were able to build muscle and work out harder on keto? This has been debated regularly. I am in the camp of thinking it can be done.

I had success with keto but had to have major surgery with an injury that calls for a 12-18 month heal time, so I have gained. I’m trying to start again but it is difficult now that I am living with my mother. To those who are starting- download an app that will calculate and track your macros. This is a crucial step in keto being successful. Most are very easy to use, just plug in what you ate and how much (you will need a food scale) and it will take the guessing out of it all. I had great success with keto and it improved everything from my mood to my skin and energy levels.

by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2021 10:13 PM

Thomas DeLauer seemed to have worked for him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2021 2:31 AM

[quote]The goal of Keto is to get the body to burn fat rather than carbs for energy.

Yes, I am aware of that and I am in ketosis, so my body is burning fat instead of glucose. However, if you want to lose weight you need your body to burn your own body fat as well as fats you consume, so you still have to be in a fat deficit, otherwise you won't lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2021 3:03 AM

Got on the scale this morning. I only lost 4.4lbs this past week. I was hoping to hit the 8-11lbs range.

by Anonymousreply 52May 16, 2021 9:11 AM

OP, keep going and ignore the scale. Are your clothes getting looser?

by Anonymousreply 53May 16, 2021 10:07 AM

I find that Thomas guy at R50 looked better when he was bigger, to be honest. His stomach now has that weird, texture that guys get when they overdo it at the gym.

by Anonymousreply 54May 16, 2021 10:58 AM

[quote]OP, keep going and ignore the scale. Are your clothes getting looser?

Actually a little, yes.

Most of all I just generally feel better. More energetic, more alert, more "awake" and don't get winded as quickly at work.

by Anonymousreply 55May 16, 2021 2:20 PM

Maybe I'm expecting too much.

This is only Day 14 for me.

by Anonymousreply 56May 16, 2021 2:22 PM

4.4 lbs is great for the first week. If you keep it up, the weight will fall off in the upcoming weeks. Remember to keep drinking lots of water. I like lemon and mint in mine.

by Anonymousreply 57May 16, 2021 2:25 PM

I'm definitely in ketosis.

I bought a breathalyzer and usually either blow a 2.0 or 3.0 every morning when I check.

by Anonymousreply 58May 16, 2021 2:30 PM

OP, check with your doctor. I did strict keto for about a year, lost about 30 lbs, then did my annual checkup. My doctor called the next day about my blood work- he ordered me to stop keto immediately because my cholesterol (normally really low) was so high I was on the brink of a heart attack.

I stopped keto but keep the carbs and sugar low and I've been able to keep the weight off.

by Anonymousreply 59May 16, 2021 2:31 PM

A lot of people find other health benefits, reduced inflammation, reduced migaines, improved depression and anxiety and some find it easier to cut down on or stop drinking on keto, whether it is due to the effect of ketones themselves, no idea. It is also a great way to lose or maintain weight. Focus on protein and high fiber veg, not too many processed "keto foods" and sweeteners and the fat that comes with food, say eggs, not tons of added fat - skip the bulletproof coffees. Meat has great satiety as do eggs, watch out for things like nuts and cheese if weight loss is a goal, very energy dense and easy to over eat. Also, check out Dr. Ted Naiman and his PE diet.

by Anonymousreply 60May 16, 2021 2:35 PM

Recommend the book The Case for Keto by Gary Taubes. He's an excellent journalist with a scientific background.

by Anonymousreply 61May 16, 2021 2:37 PM

OP a reasonable rate for weight loss is 1-3 lbs a week. If you were morbidly obese with a lot of inflammation the rate of water lost at the beginning would be higher. You also want to give your skin a chance to keep up with the rate of loss. You did not gain 11 lbs in a week nor is it reasonable to expect to lose that. You want to lose fat, not lean mass. Try becoming a bit more active, even a daily walk is good for health. Some strength and resistance training increase resting metabolism and that will help you keep from regaiing. Exercise is not great for aiding loss but it is helpful to maintenence.

by Anonymousreply 62May 16, 2021 2:39 PM

Well I didn't weigh myself til Day 6 so I'm assuming most of my water weight was gone that first week.

I just know that I am eating much better. More vegetables (lettuce, spinach, kale, cucumbers, avocados, olives, cabbage, with very limited tomatoes and carrots), Egglife and low carb/high fiber wraps instead of my usual 4-6 slices of bread a day. I eat one serving of mixed nuts a day for breakfast. I haven't really gone wild with the meats either. I put turkey sausage in my Egglife wrap and usually either turkey or roast beef in my lunch wrap. Lunch is now my largest meal of the day usually eaten around 2pm. It consists of a wrap and salad. I'm staying full longer.

I bought some Fat Bombs, Enlightened and Super Coffee last week but still have had no desire to open them yet. I'm going to see how long I can go without craving "sweets."

Saturday night is my main indulgence where I treat myself to a juicy prime rib or t-bone with broccoli and mixed greens salad. It is heaven!

by Anonymousreply 63May 16, 2021 2:54 PM

I did make some homemade broccoli and cheese soup Friday night. One cup and a side salad and I was stuffed.

by Anonymousreply 64May 16, 2021 2:56 PM

OP, protein is important.

by Anonymousreply 65May 16, 2021 3:00 PM

I’ve lost over 80 lbs since last July and am now maintaining at my goal weight. I used a mostly ‘keto approach’. The problem is keto has no concrete definition and has more sects and gurus than most religions. I approached it like a maths issues. Calories still matter and you have to deficit to lose fat. You also have to know what you’re eating and have a plan. I hit a minimum protein intake and maximum carb ceiling. Fats act as a lever depending how much you want to lose (or gain). As someone said unthread, you don’t want to be short on protein. I learned that the hard way on an earlier weight loss attempt.

by Anonymousreply 66May 16, 2021 3:01 PM

OP, it's a great approach, scientifically sound, and should be something you can live with most of the time. Once you get to your desired weight, you can emphasize protein more and will build additional muscle mass. Add some weight training and you will develop an amazing body before you know it. You should also enjoy great health as well.

by Anonymousreply 67May 16, 2021 3:08 PM

Do something you can sustain longterm first, such as intermittent fasting. The main issue is we eat too much and we don't give our body a break. We snack all day long and eat crappy food.

by Anonymousreply 68May 16, 2021 3:08 PM

I don't trust any diet that tells me to avoid legumes. Or carrots, ffs.

by Anonymousreply 69May 16, 2021 3:08 PM

Keto worked for me but I fell off of it very quickly and just started to limit my carbs. I stopped counting the micros. I lost 30 pounds over a 5 month period and continue to keep it off. Just avoid sugars and things white. No rice. Potatoes. Bread...

by Anonymousreply 70May 16, 2021 3:20 PM

I'm doing it now combined with intermittent fasting. Basically, I eat one meal a day and snack between 4pm and 8pm. Dinner is a protein and a green salad, either iceberg lettuce and arugula with oil and vinegar, or Caesar with homemade dressing. I've lost 24 lbs in nine weeks. I take vitamins to supplement nutrients I'm probably not getting, drink a lot of water, and make an electrolyte solution to avoid cramping. Yes, I'm going hard and I know it's not sustainable long-term. But it's just until I hit my goal weight - twenty more pounds. As it was mentioned above, I'm one of those pre-diabetic carb addicts. I went off on Easter and ate cookies and chocolate. I felt really sick. A few cookies makes me want more. I truly never realized how carb-addicted I am.

My advice is to try not to use substitute carbs. Avoid all Atkins bars. Use sweeteners very sparingly. Don't bother with buying keto products. Eat protein and count your carbs. Stay under 20 net per day. If you fall off, get back on immediately.

by Anonymousreply 71May 16, 2021 3:43 PM

The most simple and straightforward approach to LC is this. It has different approaches for losing weight or reversing diabetes or maintenence. The doctor who wrote it is the head of Obesity Medicine at Duke, he has a very high success rate. Instead of lots of tracking he teaches intuitive eating within a framework. Good stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 16, 2021 4:11 PM

OP that first week of 9-11 pounds a lot of it is water weight. 4.4 is aweoms. Imagine that for 10 weeks straight and you are down 45 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 73May 16, 2021 5:34 PM

R73 - that always sounds good but weight loss is not linear.

YMMV

by Anonymousreply 74May 16, 2021 5:42 PM

Its a difficult diet practically devoid of fruit. I think vegan works better for me. More energy to work out and blood test results better. And I'm a 6'3" pretty buff guy.

by Anonymousreply 75May 16, 2021 6:03 PM

[quote]Its a difficult diet practically devoid of fruit.

That's the worst part of it right now for me. But as I said, it's only until I reach my weight-loss goal. Then when I up my carbs, I'll add some fruit once or twice a week. Even then, a mango will have to be a special treat. I'm making my partner Thai mango salad as a side dish tonight and it kills me not to taste it.

by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2021 8:43 PM

Another vote for a plant based/vegan diet. I'm 64 years old and have had a 19.5 BMI for a decade.

by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2021 10:52 PM

I missed fruit the most - before keto I ate oranges every day - then when i ate a peach 6 months in, it was so sickly sweet I couldn't eat it and have not missed fruit since. You do get used to having berries instead of fruit.

by Anonymousreply 78May 18, 2021 3:37 AM

R78. For you, Rose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 18, 2021 5:46 AM

r75 are you seeing anybody? :D

by Anonymousreply 80May 18, 2021 1:55 PM

[quote]Most of all I just generally feel better. More energetic, more alert, more "awake" and don't get winded as quickly at work.

Add insufferable to the list.

by Anonymousreply 81May 20, 2021 12:15 AM

Had my first FACTOR meal for dinner tonight. I'm only doing 3 weeks and then cancelling because $15/each is too much.

It was shrimp with zuchini noodles and broccoli and was really good.

by Anonymousreply 82May 20, 2021 12:55 AM

Of COURSE tried it! It's fabulous, and must be done even if it seems not to be working!!

by Anonymousreply 83May 20, 2021 1:26 AM

Most American fraus can afford to skip carbs, R83. Or most other forms of solid food.

by Anonymousreply 84May 20, 2021 3:15 AM

Made the keto chocolate tart/pie yesterday and it’s absolutely deliiiicious. I didn’t actually put in the cardamom but I added raspberries to the top and it’s perfect with a spoonful of creme fraiche.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 20, 2021 10:40 AM

Ugh!

Only lost 2 lbs last week.

I thought keto made you drop it quicker.

by Anonymousreply 86May 22, 2021 4:08 PM

I am down 13 lbs since April 1.

Slow but steady.

by Anonymousreply 87May 22, 2021 4:11 PM

There is water weight lost at first, OP, the main benefit is lack of hunger.

If you are eating nuts, cheese, heavy cream, processed keto foods, sweeteners and keto desserts, and meats like sausage and cold cuts try cutting those, usually helps. A kitchen scale is cheap on Amazon and can be helpful re: portions but if you stick to unprocessed meats and high fiber veg you should see continued progress. The fat that comes with meat and eggs and salmon is fine but you do not need added fat - bulletproof coffee, fat bombs, etc, if you are trying to burn your body fat.

Whey powder really spikes insulin for some people, very counterproductive. Try to stick to whole foods, 2 meals a day and no snacks and you should get results. 1-3 lbs per week is reasonable, you want to give your skin time to keep up lest you end up like a Shar Pei.

by Anonymousreply 88May 22, 2021 4:14 PM

Keto desserts are fine for special occasions but when they become the norm weight loss often stalls. Try to shift eating to whole unprocessed food eaten in complete meals, no snacking, only occasional desserts is best if you hope to maintain weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 89May 22, 2021 4:16 PM

I’m living proof it works. And if I can do it, anyone can. I’ve quit every single thing I’ve ever set out to do in life, but the results were so fast I just kept on. More than 30 pounds down since January. (Went from 201 to 168 - my goal). My breakfast is an avocado and a boiled egg, snacks thru the day are blueberries, almonds, and pork skins (chicharrones), lunch is chicken Caesar salad, and dinner is chicken and veggies, and no later than 7pm. If you want to start slowly, simply cut out bread, rice, potatoes and pasta. The pounds will fall off.

by Anonymousreply 90May 22, 2021 4:26 PM

^^^^^ addition to post:::::: - Oh and absolutely no sugar of any kind!!!! Ice cream was my weakness. Now my “treat” is a keto vanilla yogurt with fresh blueberries.

by Anonymousreply 91May 22, 2021 4:29 PM

Yes, it's a numbers game, but we aren't machines. Insulin is a big factor in weight loss.

Whatever approach you use, add in intermittent fasting.

by Anonymousreply 92May 22, 2021 4:40 PM

OP. Dropping 2 pounds is great. If you do that over 6 months you have lost 50 pounds. What was your starting weight? And remember. Your diet isn't a temporary thing. You will need to be on it forever to keep the weight off.

by Anonymousreply 93May 22, 2021 4:44 PM

Ugh!

I didn't lose any weight last week.

Scale registered the same weight as last Saturday morning.

At least I didn't gain any.

Total weight loss for one month is exactly 10 lbs.

I need to start exercising more.

by Anonymousreply 94June 5, 2021 6:17 PM

10 lbs in a month is great. After the water weight 1-3 lbs a week is reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 95June 5, 2021 6:19 PM

10 pounds is a lot of weight to drop in one month. I average about 4 pounds a month.

by Anonymousreply 96June 5, 2021 6:27 PM

OP - you should try the Factor meal deliver program. They run about 100-150/week, but all you have to do is microwave. Everything is completely balanced to take out the guess work. They are offering $100 off you first orders. I believe it's spread out over 3-4 orders, but it's a nice discount. It is a lifestyle change. Are you working out regularly? I think first get your fitness in order and then see what your body needs. Nutrition is a important, but you need to be moving 6 days a week for at least 30 minutes breaking a sweat at the minimum.

by Anonymousreply 97June 5, 2021 6:47 PM

This Dr. Westman teaching vid is a great way to learn about or tighten up on keto. He runs the Obesity Med clinic at Duke and has a very simple approach with a high success rate. The "page 4" he talks about can be found by googling, it is posted on pinterest. With keto, it is important not to have too much dietary fat if you want to lose BODY FAT. It is really easy to eat a lot of calories with cheese or nuts, etc, Best to stick to meat and green veg, you won't be hungry and you are pretty much guaranteed to lose. HWC and nuts might allow you to be in ketosis but you might not lose and could even get fatter. The only people who should be eating high fat keto are those using it to control seizures and some psychiatric conditions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 5, 2021 7:07 PM

Thomas de Lauer has great videos where he goes into various stores, like Target, Walmart, Whole Foods and Costco, and shows you want to get and what to avoid if you're doing keto.

by Anonymousreply 99June 5, 2021 7:41 PM

How are you guys working out at the gym on Keto? I have no energy to lift.

by Anonymousreply 100June 6, 2021 12:16 AM

Up your electrolytes, R100, see the FAQ at r/keto. It can take a few weeks to feel fully fat adapted. I tend to work out fasted, it does get easier.

by Anonymousreply 101June 6, 2021 12:38 AM

[quote]OP - you should try the Factor meal deliver program.

I did. I have some in my freezer. I ran out the 3 weeks of reduced cost but I just can't afford to buy them week in and week out.

The "picnic pack" with the chicken salad and mushrooms was AMAZING. As was the Peruvian chicken entree I had last night for dinner. I've also ate the Chorizo Chili which was also amazing.

I also bought a 6 pack of the Chocolate Brownie shakes but haven't tried them yet.

by Anonymousreply 102June 6, 2021 5:49 AM

One of the easy ways to do Keto is an egg fast. You eat eggs and only eggs. I kicked my Keto off doing that for a month. I lost 30 pounds then switched to standard keto with intermittent fasting. I started doing weight training after the 30 days.

by Anonymousreply 103June 6, 2021 2:05 PM

I can't do Keto, the high fat makes my gallbladder very angry.

by Anonymousreply 104June 6, 2021 2:10 PM

Keto does not have to be high fat if weight loss is the goal, R104. High fat keto is for controlling seizure disorders and some mental health conditions. Otherwise, just eat the fat that comes with eggs, salmon, etc, no added fat like bulletproof coffee or fat bombs. Common misconception. If you want to lose fat from your BODY you can't add too much fat to the diet.

To get your body to burn fat from any source the key is to dial down carbs. We are like a Prius, we can run on glucose or stored energy, like a battery and are meant to switch back and forth. If we have been eating frequently all day and/or had a high carb diet, from any source, we may be a bit out of practice. Once you are fat adapted the smooth, consistent energy is fantastic. No constant hunger and cravings as is common when used to running on incoming sugar and starch. No hanger, mood swings, changes in focus.

Or, check out Dr. Ted Naimaim's P:E diet, R104, Low carb, lower fat, focus on whole food protein. There is an article on the Diet Doctor website re: their own staff trying the approach, many lost weight without trying and important for health - lost inches off their waists. That belly fat is so metabolically unhealthy. These are people who had been eating LCHF for years and were all normal weight or on the slim side to start with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 6, 2021 2:19 PM

Thanks r105, I will check it out.

Funny you mention the bulletproof coffee, I believe that nonsense is what caused an epic gallbladder attack.

by Anonymousreply 106June 6, 2021 2:40 PM

Drinking oil does not cause the body to prioritize burning fat, lowering carbs - starches and sugars - does. So many people think that LC did not work for them when it is actually super high added fat that did not work.

The graph at the bottom was what enabled me to take off the last weight and reverse a stall. Naiman was an engineer before med school so he does a lot of graphs. When I ate a lot of foods in the low P:E range - nuts, cream, etc. I stalled out. He calls those fat gain food, and historically they HAVE been recommended to people trying to gain. Naiman's focus is on satiety per calorie. When I shifted my focus to fish, chicken and leaner beef cuts and more high fiber, hiw weight loss and some maintenence foods, weight melted off and my energy was great. More lean cuts of meat, less sausage and bacon. Historically those are the foods that have been recommended for weight loss. My mother used to order diet plates at restaurants and they were lean ground beef patties, a scoop of cottage cheese and some veg, very high P:E ratio.

P:E is not a high protein diet per se but a higher protein ratio. As we get older, past 20s, we get less efficient at metabolizing protein and need to be conscious about building muscle and bone with adequate high quality bioavailable protein. He also talks a lot about the protein leverage hypothesis, an amount people across cultures seem to seek before they stop eating. If you get protein from eggs or chicken or lean beef it does not come with a lot of carbs or crazy fat or huge amounts of "surplus" calories, as compared to something like beans & rice. Just aiming for 35g of protein per meal and dialing back fat has really changed satiety for me, I also have gone up in lean mass and feel stronger. Very high fat did not nuke my gallbladder but it did make me feel queasy.

For those looking to up protein, Marian Emmerich has a lot of protein sparing modified fasting recipes that can be incorporated. Mostly I tend to stick to protein, veg, some berries and occasional greek yogurt, keeps things simple. Sheet pan cooking or grilling is great, eat hot for dinner, throw over a salad or in a wrap for lunch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 6, 2021 3:12 PM

Great sheet pan ideas (do not eat sausage all the time though, not sure how I got into that rut, bought too much on sale).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 6, 2021 3:16 PM

Some great ideas here, the leftovers are great for lunch over greens or in a wrap, maybe add a bit of feta and a few olives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 6, 2021 3:20 PM

Sorry for double post, the first lagged and did not appear.

by Anonymousreply 110June 6, 2021 3:24 PM

The best diet is carb conscious. You should limit or selectively eat good carbs longterm. White bread, white pasta, and refined sugar should be avoided longterm.

by Anonymousreply 111June 6, 2021 3:24 PM

Who makes/sells the best sheet pans, DL? I want something long-lasting and easy to clean.

The upside of keto is that it actually has me cooking more (and shopping and meal-planning and dishwashing, too).

by Anonymousreply 112June 6, 2021 3:52 PM

Is turkey sausage ok?

To me, it has a better flavor than pork sausage.

by Anonymousreply 113June 6, 2021 4:06 PM

I love sausage but there's no guarantee that they're not using sugar or starch in the ingredients. "Sweet Italian sausage" for example.

by Anonymousreply 114June 6, 2021 4:17 PM

Sausage is poison, a horrible carcinogen and heart stopper

by Anonymousreply 115June 6, 2021 4:30 PM

r108

Thanks for the sheet pan ideas, it's just what lazy me needs to give this another shot.

by Anonymousreply 116June 6, 2021 4:35 PM

r112

American's Test Kitchen recommends the Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet on Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 6, 2021 5:35 PM

Is it considered healthy to be in a state of ketosis?

by Anonymousreply 118June 6, 2021 8:48 PM

Can I ask a gross question?

How do you guys who do these fasts and keto diets find going to the toilet? Are you more likely to be constipated, have to strain etc?

I eat a high fibre diet and never have any problems, but I'm very nervous of getting blocked up and causing problems like I used to have, so I'd be way too nervous to try something like this. It doesn't sound like you get a lot of fibre on these diets.

by Anonymousreply 119June 6, 2021 11:14 PM

Fair question, R119. Apparently some people experience constipation on keto.

I haven't. I'm exercising more, sleeping a bit better, and eating a lot of fibrous vegetables (kale, other greens, etc). That all helps.

by Anonymousreply 120June 6, 2021 11:19 PM

Take Metamucil or other psyllium fiber supplement R119

by Anonymousreply 121June 6, 2021 11:20 PM

[quote]How do you guys who do these fasts and keto diets find going to the toilet? Are you more likely to be constipated, have to strain etc?

Not me. But I eat a mix of green vegetables (spinach, broccoli, cucumber) twice a day along with meats and nuts.

by Anonymousreply 122June 6, 2021 11:21 PM

Kale is "nature's whiskbroom!"

by Anonymousreply 123June 6, 2021 11:22 PM

Magnesium Citrate is really good for the muscles and if you take more than is needed it will push things through.

by Anonymousreply 124June 7, 2021 5:32 PM

Diet Doctor has a helpful article re: higher protein/P:E style diets. Very helpful for anyone with metabolic syndrome, anyone who wants to increase muscle or for the middle aged and older who need more protein with age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 7, 2021 5:53 PM

I bought a bicycle which I'm going to start riding for at least an hour a day after work.

Thing is, I haven't ridden one in over 30 years.

It is exciting but I'm also freaking out.

Is it really just as easy as hopping back on as they say?

by Anonymousreply 126June 7, 2021 6:20 PM

Should be,, R126. But, keep in mind that diet is most important for weight loss. The saying "you can't outrun (or outride) a bad diet" has truth. That said, exercise is great for physical and mental health and does help with weight maintenance. Have fun!

by Anonymousreply 127June 7, 2021 6:43 PM

It works, and it works best if you keep tabs on what you eat and your macros. My partner & I started in January but were eating too little fat and too much protein for the first 6 weeks so weight loss was slow. As soon as fat calories were closer to 65-70% of our daily caloric intake the pounds flew off. I have lost 30lbs (all I need to) my partner has lost 50lbs (he's done too).

Since we are just maintaining now we do a couple of cheat meals a week, drink low carb beer/cocktails and still haven't gained anything back. It's not hard but seriously read labels and get your numbers right from the start for better results. Avocado, heavy cream, bacon and fat bombs made with coconut oil are your friend. I forgot to mention, I'm not hungry at all, just a little bored with food but not suffering.

by Anonymousreply 128June 7, 2021 7:07 PM

Yes! R121, R122, and R123. Fibrous vegetables and sugar free Metamucil. Keeps the pipe clean, and both you and your tops will appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 129June 7, 2021 9:11 PM

r107 not true. There was a study where people ate 5000 calories a day of pure fat. (I think they literally ate butter for a month) and it produced zero significant weight gain and in fact most participants lost weight. The body is tuned to turn simple carbs into glucose, complex carbs longer, proteins are the hardest for the body to convert. A diet consisting of only fats and proteins no carbs with zero restriction on calories produces weight loss. It is only when you add in simple carbs, sugars etc to the mix. I guarantee you if we both ate 4000 calories but you ate sugar and I ate fat you would be a tub of lard .

by Anonymousreply 130June 7, 2021 11:31 PM

Actually, R130, Dr. Naiman advocates a higher PROTEIN diet so that you are burning body FAT, while eating low carbs and lowish fat. His PE diet is increasingly popular, the focus is protein and fiber/satiety per calorie. Many find that they stall out on LCHF diets after initial loss by increasing protein and dialing back fat while keeping carbs low, they get results.

HF keto diets originated to control epilepsy and mental health conditions. If you body is in ketosis it is burning fat, but it is a choice if the fat is from your gut or what you put in your mouth. LC, LF higher protein percentage is a different paradigm. Many who eat super high fat keto - hwc, macadamia nuts and bacon galore actually GAIN weight.

If dietary HF works for you, great, but for many it only works to a point. A lot of extra dietary fat adds a LOT of calories, whereas the satiety per calorie of protein and high fiber veg is much higher, 9 calories vs 4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131June 7, 2021 11:40 PM

[R126], start with half an hour. Your ass is going to hurt like hell. When you return from biking, I'd suggest a bath, even a quick one. I speak from knowledge. And try to take a regular day off from biking. That way, if you're all 'I don't want to bike today,' you can think of the day off. And wear a helmet. My helmet with the hand painted periwinkles is such a chick magnet (joke)!

by Anonymousreply 132June 8, 2021 12:15 AM

r131 here is the site

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 8, 2021 5:29 PM

Did Keto make anyone else feel super jittery and shaky all the time?

by Anonymousreply 134June 9, 2021 10:50 AM

r134 not really. I was actually sluggish until I adjusted to being in ketosis. Maybe you are drinking too much coffee?

by Anonymousreply 135June 9, 2021 3:11 PM

That's the thing, I don't drink coffee anymore but it feels like how I would feel sometimes if I had too much. I've been reading that electrolyte imbalance could happen with keto and dehydration (even though I don't feel thirsty) might be the cause? It's kind of freaky. But I'm happy to see my penis again.

by Anonymousreply 136June 9, 2021 6:59 PM

If you feel like that then get some gateraide zero or poweraide zero and drink a few bottles a day. You should tell your doctor and get your blood checked.

by Anonymousreply 137June 9, 2021 8:56 PM

I started drinking Gatorade Zero in that maybe it is an electrolyte imbalance. Had blood work recently and all was normal.

by Anonymousreply 138June 10, 2021 12:04 AM

So I cut out all the nuts, started having steamed broccoli drizzled with Italian dressing for dinner and exercising this week and dropped 4.2lbs.

by Anonymousreply 139June 12, 2021 2:21 PM

Congrats, OP.

Make sure you're getting your protein.

by Anonymousreply 140June 12, 2021 2:25 PM

The Indochino Bear tried it and it didn't work for him.

by Anonymousreply 141June 12, 2021 2:30 PM

I started Keto not long ago. It's true that you aren't hungry. Also my seasonal allergies are gone along with body aches and joint pain. I know this sounds crazy but mosquitos aren't biting me and they used to chew me up. I stood in the yard talking to my neighbors who were bitten until they had to run in the house but I didn't get one bite.

by Anonymousreply 142June 12, 2021 2:47 PM

I bet the Indochino Bear probably tried it for a day or two. You have to be super disciplined, especially at first.

by Anonymousreply 143June 12, 2021 2:50 PM

[quote]You may need to play around with your macros for a while to find your sweet spot. Some men can hit ketosis on as many as 30 grams a day, some (like me and my wife) needed to go as low as 15 to keep steady weight loss, but we're both women.

God, I couldn't live like that and respect to people who can.

Like it was said, eat less than you burn. I'm on 1800 a day and losing 1 - 2 a week. The range forces me to choose wisely to feel decently fed but anything can be managed in moderation... plus it's self-fulfilling... as you lose choosing better gets easier. And I am logging on MyFitnessPal, not running some crazyass spreadsheet (though MFP will count your macros for you if you want to turn it into a soul destroying mission. Again, for those who come to that level of precision through their character, it's not going to do anything. For the rest of us mortals.... it is the source of frustration that inevitably sends us back to cake for breakfast!)

by Anonymousreply 144June 12, 2021 3:03 PM

I like Fathead pizza and all of the dough's uses. Diedres low carb bread recipe is a life saver too. I got a bread machine from goodwill new in the box for 9 bucks. I buy my ingredients from her affiliate links because she spent all the time and money creating it and a bunch of companies have ripped her off. Pretty sad, but goddamn that bread is good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145June 13, 2021 12:35 AM

For some reason every week for the past 3 weeks, I get on the scale and have lost 1.6lbs exactly.

I can't really be frustrated since I'm continually losing and have officially hit 25lbs lost total.

I'm sticking to my 20g or less of carbs per day but struggle to find time/energy/motivation to exercise more. I work 11 hr days during the week plus the heat just saps all my energy.

by Anonymousreply 146July 3, 2021 3:20 PM

How about just eating less food?

by Anonymousreply 147July 3, 2021 3:40 PM

I’m in awe of all of your dedication and discipline in keeping to these diets and learning the science. I’ve never really had a weight problem, but if I start to feel I’m packing on a couple of extra pounds I just eat less food. I don’t restrict anything from my diet, other than red meat. I’d probably benefit from reducing some sugars and carbs, just from a health standpoint, but I don’t feel like I over do it with them.

by Anonymousreply 148July 3, 2021 4:39 PM

I'm down 31 lbs in 11 weeks! I'm now just a lil over my half-way point for my goal. And this has all been mainly dietary change cause I have a hard time trying to get exercise into my routine.

I have never stuck to a "diet" like this before mainly because I never feel "hungry" anymore. I eat but I eat the right foods that fill me longer without feeling bloated or yucky.

My new obsession is deviled eggs! I take them to work for my lunch with celery stalks filled with cream cheese and Everything Bagel seasoning.

What do you gusy like to put in your deviled eggs? I do mayo, stone ground mustard, Texas Pete, salt/pepper, paprika, real bacon bits and sugar free relish.

by Anonymousreply 149July 18, 2021 5:41 PM

Why not start with eating less and moving more OP?

by Anonymousreply 150July 18, 2021 6:12 PM

I lost around 25 kgs/55lbs several years ago by not eating anything white or anything with sugar including fruit for 6 days a week. Anything I was craving during the week I would write down in a note and *if* I still felt like it on the 7th day (the cheat day) I would have it. I was exercising vigorously 4x a week too. After a month or so it became easy. Didn’t count calories. I’ve gone off the rails since March 2020 though and put a fair amount back on.

by Anonymousreply 151July 18, 2021 6:58 PM

I've started mixing in intermittent fasting with the keto and have notice big results over the past 2 weeks. I only eat at work during the week and never past 3pm. Weekends, I still stick strictly to keto but allow myself dinner with friends.

I'm down 45lbs now since early May.

by Anonymousreply 152September 23, 2021 12:40 PM

Also, just had my 6 month check up with my doctor on Monday morning and my blood work results showed lower cholesterol and lower blood sugar levels.

I was worried about the cholesterol because I eat so many eggs now but it didn't effect it at all.

by Anonymousreply 153September 23, 2021 12:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!