Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Im turning into a bitter old queen and nothing will stop me

Help...turned 50, find myself increasingly feeling nasty and bitter towards everyone and everything....is this normal

by Anonymousreply 62May 4, 2021 2:36 PM

You waited until 50?

Weren't you just MARY Fucking Sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2021 2:06 PM

I’m 38 and I’m bitter and hate everyone.

It’s called surviving 2020.

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2021 2:06 PM

See the microdosing shrooms thread.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2021 2:11 PM

Join the club.

My partner and I were having lunch outdoors yesterday and I couldn't stop carping about how sloppily everyone was dressed. It amazes me how people will wear $20 worth of clothing and drop $200 on brunch. And then the woman at the next table kept photographing her food before she would take a bite so I had to grumble about that, even thought it didn't affect me at all. And don't get me started about people who somehow think being unmasked 'outdoors' now includes subways and buses.

Coming home at the end of the day after having to deal with all the assholes out there is so relaxing.

Sartre was right when he wrote 'Hell is other people'.

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2021 2:11 PM

[quote]...is this normal?

Yes.

If you're not becoming bitter by the age of 50, you're either a saint, a dog, or you have not been paying attention to anything going on around you for the past 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2021 2:12 PM

Yes it is normal and just wait until you hit 60 which will happen in the blink of an eye and it's unbearable. You ain't see nothing yet.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2021 2:13 PM

Hi bitch

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2021 2:20 PM

64 and I can see it creeping in for the last few years. I hate to be this way. Judgmental and bitter. Not a good look.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2021 2:23 PM

When you turn 50 it becomes obligatory for you to keep a lawn, so that you can tell kids to keep off it. You will also notice that things cost more than they used to, that your doctor looks far too young to be practising medicine, that "they" have turned down the sound on all TV broadcasting, and "they" have also started putting things in spicy food that do nothing for the flavour but give you indigestion.

As my uncle cheerfully said, when he heard me complaining about needing a new mattress, "welcome to old".

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2021 2:24 PM

R8 but i also dont want to be too "pollyannish" also not a good look. Just even tempered is my goals

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2021 2:25 PM

R1-- love you! Spit out my coffee laughing at this. WW!

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2021 2:26 PM

If nothing will stop you OP, don't come crying to the DL for "help."

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2021 2:26 PM

I don't hate everyone.

I haven't met everyone yet, saw them in public, nor observed the social media crapped out by everyone yet.

Give me time.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2021 2:28 PM

I didn't fit in and was bullied by my peers so I was bitter at 12.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2021 2:29 PM

And don't believe the bullshit that it gets better. It doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2021 2:29 PM

It's normal OP. But you're not turning bitter. You've just gotten to an age that you are better able to see how ridiculous so many people act and your patience for such activity has worn thin. In short, you're tired of the same ol' same ol' and aren't willing to just roll with the punches any longer.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2021 2:31 PM

FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2021 2:34 PM

Good, all you bitter, fugly, socially awkward introverts just continue to dwell in your basements and avoid people. Just means more room for good-looking people like me who enjoy interacting with other people. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2021 2:35 PM

That’s too bad- you’re going to miss out on a lot of life that is worth living.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2021 2:54 PM

“I’m turning into a bitter old queen and nothing will stop me“, sounds like a good nam for a novel.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2021 3:00 PM

Not defending obnoxious behavior, but I’d rather spend $20 on clothes and $200 on brunch with friends (or travel or some experience) than the other way around. Material possessions just weigh you down. $15 shirts at Target and $30 bookcases from ikea suit me fine. An experience truly is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2021 3:06 PM

PLEASE DON'T BRING UP NAM R20!

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2021 3:39 PM

[quote] turning

Oh honey, that horse left the barn a LONG time ago.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2021 3:40 PM

R8 Same here at 63, but mine's gotten worse since covid. I'm glad I currently live alone as it gives me time to get my shit together before exposing my toxin to others. I have made it a rule not to drink and text. I've thought about seeing a therapist but I think it would only make me feel guilty for having NO real excuse to be bitter.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2021 3:45 PM

You’re getting sloppy with Time and Place.

Social interaction is where you investigate, experiment, and collect data on those people unlucky enough to be around you. The internets are where you process, collate, and then vomit your judgement on said people.

When you do both at the same time it’s messy and not a good look. Part of Good Manners is the determined optimism that you’ll have a pleasant time even if it kills everyone around you.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2021 3:51 PM

You should wait till your mid-sixties for that.

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2021 3:51 PM

We just keep pretty much to ourselves, people are batshit crazy now, we both have cut friends off for being nasty and acting like shits.

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2021 4:01 PM

Say you can’t rake a shit? That’s why you’re so bitter.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2021 4:10 PM

I had an early start on bitter and jaded. Over time I've become nicer, more curious, certainly less bothered by things, and even happy.

I come from a long line of people for whom everyone else was imperfect in every way and they themselves the only shining examples of perfection. Seeing how ridiculous that was and how little pleasure or reward it brought them was a useful lesson.

To be fair, some part of that is simply the economy of recognizing what I could change or what would be worth the bother of changing if I could do. Part, too, comes from the ability to make quicker decisions: with age, the ability to see that the trajectory of a thing, wherever exactly it is going, is not one I want to share. Most of it is as simple as taking a half step to avoid a rain.

Freed from things that I don't have to be my concern,, I have more interest and enthusiasm for the people and things I do like, old and new.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2021 4:19 PM

[quote] Not defending obnoxious behavior, but I’d rather spend $20 on clothes and $200 on brunch with friends (or travel or some experience) than the other way around.

I'm not asking people to dress like they're going to Ascot, but is it too much to ask for people to dress nicely when they go to a restaurant? Yoga pants and a crop top with your fat gut hanging out doesn't seem appropriate to me, but then, I'm a bitter old queen.

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2021 4:21 PM

TLDR R29

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote]is this normal

think of it as a right of passage

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2021 4:27 PM

We're only here for a short time. If you want to spend that time being a huge sad cunt, well, that's on you, toots.

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2021 4:32 PM

Same R29. I come from a family who truly believes they are better than everyone else on earth. Cutting them off was hard but a weight off my shoulders. They are soul suckers.

by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2021 4:44 PM

I’m there and I am 38. It’s exhausting living this way. I need some joy.

by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2021 5:07 PM

Have you tried smoking copious amounts of pot? That's what I do, and I can't stop laughing most days. It works best if you avoid all people.

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2021 9:12 PM

Y'all sound utterly charming and deliteful to be around. Glad me and my friends don't feel the same way as all yous socially awkward bee-yotches.

by Anonymousreply 37May 3, 2021 9:16 PM

Well you certainly come off as charming yourself.

by Anonymousreply 38May 3, 2021 9:35 PM

"Im turning into a bitter old queen and nothing will stop me"

Just smoke copious amounts of pot, silly.

No, seriously. I eat two edibles a day and I am MARY Fucking Sunshine--albeit the kind that might give you skin cancer.

by Anonymousreply 39May 3, 2021 10:11 PM

At almost 69 I have found myself losing patience with stupid TV shows I used to enjoy as a much younger man, mainly because of the idiotic plots and ludicrous acts they have the actors do. I was watching a 'Gilligan's Island' on Sunday. It suddenly struck me just how brainless Gilligan was. As usual for the umpteenth time he screwed up a chance for them to get off the island and they all were mad for a minute or so and then all was forgiven. It literally pissed me off that they didn't beat the living shit out of him.

I get the same feeling with Sheldon Cooper on 'Big Bang Theory'. I had so hoped on the last show someone would have beaten him senseless. Leonard pissed me off for taking all his insane bullshit and rarely doing anything about it. If Sheldon had lived with me I would have smothered him in his sleep at some point.

by Anonymousreply 40May 3, 2021 10:22 PM

Good for you OP. Now off you fuck.

by Anonymousreply 41May 3, 2021 11:18 PM

Too much DL could be the cause too. The people here are all bitter queens.

by Anonymousreply 42May 3, 2021 11:21 PM

You just need to get laid. Find yourself a rentboy.

by Anonymousreply 43May 3, 2021 11:24 PM

Don't think age has anything to do with it op, am 28 and have felt like this my whole life.

by Anonymousreply 44May 3, 2021 11:33 PM

[quote]Don't think age has anything to do with it op, am 28 and have felt like this my whole life.

You don't really have the right to use the term 'my whole life' until you're old enough to not remember half of it.

by Anonymousreply 45May 3, 2021 11:36 PM

A lot of older judgmental cranks are upset that no one cares what they think anymore, so they lash out.

Complaining about what people are wearing is petty, but doing it out loud while you're in the same room as them is rude and trashy. You're being rude to your partner or friends who have to listen to you be negative non-stop, and you don't even realize how hypocritical you're being by calling others trashy while you behave like trash yourself.

by Anonymousreply 46May 3, 2021 11:49 PM

You sound like a crank yourself R46.

by Anonymousreply 47May 3, 2021 11:53 PM

Hey, OP. I just turned 50 a couple weeks ago. I can totally relate, but also realize I’m at an age where I can get away with not giving a fuck if I offend someone, etc. 😁 I say embrace the grumpy old man years.

by Anonymousreply 48May 3, 2021 11:56 PM

Get a cat. Cats are better than humans.

by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2021 12:02 AM

Young people nowaday are unbearable even when you're 30 or 40. I hate this shitty "I am offended" generation. Already bitter.

by Anonymousreply 50May 4, 2021 12:03 AM

Christ, all the creative writers are out tonight.

by Anonymousreply 51May 4, 2021 12:03 AM

Bitter Queens sounds like an Italian neo-realist gay film.

by Anonymousreply 52May 4, 2021 12:10 AM

Why so bitter? I'm 60 and I'm fine.

by Anonymousreply 53May 4, 2021 12:17 AM

Get on with your bad self, Op. No one stopping youse.

by Anonymousreply 54May 4, 2021 12:23 AM

I’ve got a while before I turn 50, but I’m hateful and salty. The world is a harsh place. Better to be a bitter cunt than a passive wimp.

by Anonymousreply 55May 4, 2021 8:09 AM

OP You sound like my mother and she has always been that way.

by Anonymousreply 56May 4, 2021 8:19 AM

Be kind to animals. As for humans, 90% can all die in a grease fire for all I care.

by Anonymousreply 57May 4, 2021 8:24 AM

Damn why y'all so damaged? Gurl, we all have our days, but what the point of life without no joy? Enjoy your all lives.

by Anonymousreply 58May 4, 2021 11:57 AM

My best friend will tend to laser focus on people’s foibles and try to get everyone at the table to group hate. Things like. people licking their fingers, or chewing with their mouth open, or talking with food in their mouth. He’ll notice it because he needs to find pain. I’m okay to let people just be people. I’m sure I’ve done all 3 of those social sins at some point. Forgiveness goes a long way. You just never know where people are coming from. Avoid the bitterness, it won’t make you feel good.

by Anonymousreply 59May 4, 2021 12:05 PM

What R59 said. If you're going to have any relationships in your life - at all - you have to overlook a lot.

by Anonymousreply 60May 4, 2021 12:33 PM

I don't put up with people and I don't expect them to put up with me.

by Anonymousreply 61May 4, 2021 2:32 PM

I had no idea there were so many Freida Claxtons in the world till I came to this board.

by Anonymousreply 62May 4, 2021 2:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!