Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

30 years today since the last episode of the Original Dallas aired .Thoughts and reflections on the series 3 decades on.

May 3rd 1991 the final episode of the original series of Dallas was aired after 13 years. What are your thoughts, reflections and memories 30 years on of the glitzy iconic television soap and also how it ended?

How well does the show hold up all these years later?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10512 hours ago

Arguably the best family drama ever on tv. At least up until Victoria left. When I was a kid watching it, I thought it would go on forever. But thirteen years was basically forever on network tv at that time. The finale was underwhelming. The other actors who had made the show so good had left by this point like Victoria, Barbara, Linda, Charlene, Steve and Susan. The show kind of limped along until it ended. Larry and Patrick were just riding it out for the money the last few years. Thank God CBS pulled the plug on it.

by Anonymousreply 105/02/2021

r1 I do recall reading an interview with Larry Hagman after the shows axing was announced but months before the final episode had aired and he said something along the lines that he thought the show had a good 3 or 4 years left in it and he believed it could have and should have continued until around 1994 or 1995. I was a big Dallas fan but I think that was a tad overoptimistic !

by Anonymousreply 205/02/2021

I loved it was can't miss TV for me, it but you would have thought that several of them would have went on to have excellent careers in entertainment after that and there was almost nothing from them. Duffy had some lame show with Suzanne Somers that OMG apparently went on for 7 years, I don't think I ever watched it but did anyone else go on and do anything major. Looks like a couple of them went back and did day time soaps after Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 305/02/2021

r3 I know Victoria Principal attempted a career in movie acting but with limited success.

by Anonymousreply 405/02/2021

Dallas would have probably gone off the air in 1989 except for the fact that Lorimar made a renewal deal in the 80s with CBS that kept it on the air until 1991. The ratings were strong through the 86-87 season (it finished in 11th place that year), then it dropped out of the top 30 after the 1988-89 season .

The show was more like a cross between a soap and a western -it had a more masculine sensibility than Knots Landing or Dynasty.

The female characters on the show (except Sue Ellen) stagnated and regressed as the series went on. Miss Ellie and Pam suffered the most from this in particular.

The look of the show was unique , with the location shoots in Texas from the first half of each season.

The city of Dallas loved the show because it improved the reputation of the city; it went from being the place where JFK was killed to the place where the Ewings lived.

by Anonymousreply 505/02/2021

r5 Thanks for your reply.

I agree that Pam stagnated and regressed but can you please explain how Miss Ellie stagnated and regressed please?

by Anonymousreply 605/02/2021

It was the type of show that snobs complained about before they had Reality Television to complain about.

by Anonymousreply 705/02/2021

Miss Ellie was a formidable character in the first several seasons of the show, r6, and the only person who was able to rein in JR after Jock’s death.

After the dream season Miss Ellie becomes weaker and less focused on her family. For example, I don’t think Miss Ellie would have tossed JR off the ranch after the BD Calhoun mess , and I don’t think she would have been so easily fooled by Wes Parmalee’s scam. Also, she never would have left Southfork to travel in Europe as she did in 1990, and she wouldn’t have given Southfork to Bobby-she would have split ownership between Bobby, Gary and Ray.

by Anonymousreply 805/02/2021

*I think she would have tossed JR off the ranch, she didn’t do that.

by Anonymousreply 905/02/2021

r8 Thank you for your reply.You make some good and persuasive points. do you think Lucy also stagnated and regressed?

by Anonymousreply 1005/02/2021

They ran out of story for Lucy after Mickey Trotter died. Lucy needed a love interest who was involved in Ewing Oil or Barnes Wentworth to keep her relevant, like Alan Beam was. After Mickey died she wasn’t given a good storyline; in her last season she was disconnected from the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 1105/02/2021

My favorite line (JR to Sue Ellen/Swellin)

"You're a drunk, a tramp, and an unfit mother."

In our family we used that insult for years - humorously - whenever we could.

by Anonymousreply 1205/02/2021

r11 The actor who played Alan Beam was so sexy!! One of the shows better hunk castings away from the main cast. I will admit to being disapointed in Lucys lack of storylines in the 1989 to 1990 season.Her main interactions seemed to be with Cally and it was so unimaginative to give her and Miss Ellie the same exit of going off to travel in Europe. They could have put more effort into an exit storyline.

by Anonymousreply 1305/02/2021

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 1405/03/2021

When I think of it I remember how friendly Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy were with me as I was assigned to "handle" them at an industry event. They included me in the conversation as if I had know them for years.

by Anonymousreply 1505/03/2021

r15 Linda Gray has an excellent reputation

by Anonymousreply 1605/03/2021

The only people who ever complained about the atmosphere on the Dallas set were Donna Reed and Dack Rambo from what I recall.

by Anonymousreply 1705/03/2021

I preferred Folcon's Landing.

by Anonymousreply 1805/03/2021

Victoria has more money than God thanks to her skin care company. I do admire her that she left Dallas and never looked back. When they brought back Duffy it seriously undermined the credibility of the show. Granted the show wasn’t the same without him, but in retrospect they could’ve done something different other than a dream to bring him back.

by Anonymousreply 1905/03/2021

r19 You mean maybe Bobby could have faked his death instead?

by Anonymousreply 2005/03/2021

r18 Falcon Crest was lacking the level of sexiness ingredients that Dallas had in my opinion!

by Anonymousreply 2105/03/2021

The show should have handled Patrick Duffy’s ( or Victoria Principal’s) departure the way Knots Landing handled Joan Van Ark’s departure.

Val disappeared at the end of the season 13 finale. Gary went to Florida to find her, as she had been kidnapped . He ended up in a car chase with a man driving a blond woman (we never saw their faces). The car crashed and exploded, with bodies burned beyond recognition, and everyone thought Val died, only to return for the series finale.

Katherine Wentworth could have kidnapped Bobby in the1984-85 cliffhanger. It would have been more believable and we could have seen Pam and Jenna work with JR and Ray to find Bobby.

by Anonymousreply 2205/03/2021

Pretty good R22 but didn't Katherine die in the car in which she killed Bobby?

by Anonymousreply 2305/03/2021

Yes that’s what I mean-don’t do that ending with the 84-85 cliffhanger. Instead we see Bobby leaving the Ewing building when he’s approached by Katherine and some thugs and pulled into a van. End of season. Or they could have done that with Pam in. 86-87

by Anonymousreply 2405/03/2021

r22 Now that is an excellent suggestion!!

r23 I think r22 is,saying it should never have been written with that story from the beginning I thought Katherine went on the run but I might be getting mixed up with another story? I remembered loving the scene were Katherine was brilliant as a jealous sister Disney cartoon style visiting Pam after the car crash when she was bandaged up and unconscious! Sleep on little sister!Sleep on!!

by Anonymousreply 2505/03/2021

Katherine skipped bail after being arrested for shooting Bobby.

In Pam’s dream she died in the 1984-85 cliffhanger after trying to kill Bobby and Pam and crashing her car.

In “reality” we didn’t see her again until the beginning of the 1987-88 season, when she visited a badly burned Pam.

by Anonymousreply 2605/03/2021

r26 OK thanks for the clarity. I note that a lot of the shows main characters had psychopathic or evil scheming siblings- Sue Ellen with Kristin, Pam with Katherine, April with Michelle and Clayton with Jessica!

by Anonymousreply 2705/03/2021

Y'all are right. After they announced Principal was leaving THEN had Pam all-but die in Bobby's car I pretty much stopped tuning in (never even saw the visit-in-the-hospital episode by Katherine). It seemed like a typically male way to write-off an unhappy, long-suffering female cast member (no drama, just a car crash then... gone), esp one who had contributed so much to the success of the show.

R23

by Anonymousreply 2805/03/2021

I liked the friendship between Miss Ellie and Donna, it was a nice contrast to the wild ups and downs of the other relatioships. I think Donna was a saint to put up way Ray's jealously and insecurity and the shack he made her live in.

The writers could have made better use of Katharine Wentworth, she was a fine addition to the show, and the business rivalry between Pam and JR had great potential but never came to fruition.

The dream season was a rotten way to treat its viewers. Some great storylines like Donna's baby were discarded, and others were left in limbo, like Pam search for Mark Graison's.

The absence of original female characters in the final season was a big weakness and the final episode with JR and "Adam" was abysmal. Dallas deserved a much better finale.

by Anonymousreply 2905/03/2021

My husband did book signings at the book store he works at and I was able to spend some time with Linda Grey when her book came out. I can not begin to tell you how nice she was. An absolute delight. So sweet. And she 70 at the time and looked in her early 50's. Honestly not a pretentious bone in her body.

by Anonymousreply 3005/03/2021

I went to the UK in the 80s and as soon as people would recognize my American accent all they would do is interrogate me about who shot JR, as if my nationality made me somehow privy to that information.

by Anonymousreply 3105/03/2021

And I didn’t even watch the show!

by Anonymousreply 3205/03/2021

R22 unfortunately Duffy was the one who suggested that he die. Moral of the story-never listen to the actors on the show when it comes to a character dying. That’s what the writers are there for. R30 Gray looks phenomenal for her age. If she has had any plastic surgery, her surgeon is the best.

by Anonymousreply 3305/03/2021

r33 Arr I hadn't realised Duffy asked for his character to be killed off. Big mistake. Linda Gray in terms of surgery seems to be trying to look good for her age rather than obsessively trying to be younger looking.

by Anonymousreply 3405/03/2021

r29 Such a shame they couldn't persuade Barbara Bel Geddes to stay for the last season.

by Anonymousreply 3505/03/2021

R34 yeah Duffy was adamant he wasn’t coming back. When he couldn’t be a movie star and he had a family to support he came running back. Larry thought he was stupid to leave (true). When Victoria left, she had a production company for producing tv films for her and others to star in. Plus she was married to a lucrative plastic surgeon. And she had multiple books targeted towards fraus and exercise. It was before her cosmetics company. Larry tried to get her back in 88 and she said no. She had a better financial path forward than Duffy, who was just an actor for hire.

by Anonymousreply 3605/03/2021

Thanks r36 Do you know if as well as Larry if any of the shows top producers or creators like Larry Kathmandu tried to entice Victoria back? Do we know if other stars like Susan Howard, Priscilla Presley etc were unsuccessfully wooed for a return?

by Anonymousreply 3705/03/2021

I don’t think they tried to woo back Susan Howard or Priscilla Presley.

They definitely tried to get Victoria back and I’m sure Larry tried to get Linda back.

Leonard Katzman was a chauvinist and he felt JR and Bobby were the most important characters on Dallas. The producers actually fired Linda Gray at the end of the 1984-85 season when she insisted on directing an episode (as Patrick, Larry and I believe Steve Kanaly had). Larry intervened, threatening to walk if she left, and that’s why Linda Gray got to direct episodes of Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 3805/03/2021

R37 plus they fired Susan Howard for taking an anti abortion stance in the dream season. Donna eventually miscarried, but they just let her go I believe at the end of her contract. So Howard was in no hurry to go back. Presley wanted to spend time with her newborn I believe, so she voluntarily quit. Presley kind of fit into the Dallas fold I believe (many people hate her acting), but Jenna reached the end of her usefulness anyway. Barbara just decided to retire anyway and really wasn’t pleased with the direction of Miss Ellie anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3905/03/2021

I’ve been rewatching Dallas on Amazon Prime and you can see how Barbara Bel Geddes’ health impacted Miss Ellie.

In the first 6 seasons Miss Ellie is dressed like a rich, conservative woman-twinsets with pearls were her usual fare, sometimes wearing dresses or pants with a blouse. After she returned from heart surgery, she’s dressed the same but she wears a lot more of eye makeup.

When she came back in the dream season, she’s dressed in the dowdy manner we remember-jeans, keds and a blouse in almost every episode, and sometimes sack dresses. She doesn’t look like the formidable grand dame of Dallas society as implied in the early seasons.

It’s very noticeable since Dallas was trying to compete with Dynasty in costuming from 1983-86 or so, and the other female characters wear dramatic expensive clothing (like the time Sue Ellen wore a turban to go to the mall and the movies with Pam).

by Anonymousreply 4005/03/2021

I love the DL threads on Dallas so thank you, OP, for commemorating the 30 (!) year old finale.

I remember watching the series finale and I didn't hate it. I thought it was interesting that they ended on such a sombre, almost nihilistic note. Bobby possibly finding JR's dead body? Sad but almost poetic. It's actually one of the better series finales I think.

I hated the final years of Dallas though. I loved the dream season and I hated how all the female characters regressed after it. Pam became a background player and I don't blame Principal for leaving at all. I can't stand Susan Howard in real life but I can't deny it - she was excellent as Donna, and I also loved Donna's friendship with Miss Ellie. It added a sense of realism and groundedness to the show. I also liked when Pam and Sue Ellen became friends in the later seasons. For soaps, I think it's integral that the show has close friendships because you need to have strong connections between characters, other than rivalries and romances.

I thought Gray, Principal and Howard all did fantastic work in the dream season. I loved seeing Pam and JR bicker, Gray was just phenomenal as Sue Ellen really hit the skids, and Howard really carried some heavy emotional scenes. It was really sad that Ray and Donna didn't end up adopting after all. I wish there had been a way they could have tied *some* of the dream season stories into the post-shower season. I thought they might have Mark Grayson return in the post-shower season but I guess they figured he already returned in the dream season, he was not going to come back again.

I always thought it odd that Duffy was so adamant about leaving. I like Duffy but he really must have let his ego take over. Insisting Bobby die was so risky. He really must have thought he was going to make it, but then also the fact that he returned a year later must have indicated he met with the bitter truth pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 4105/03/2021

I remember Susan Howard saying that while she was happy Patrick Duffy returned to the show, they should have found some other way to bring Bobby back given the impact the dream had on other characters' storylines. But I can't imagine a different way that would have been fairly plausible.

by Anonymousreply 4205/03/2021

R42 daytime soaps have dealt with these situations for decades. It was just a lazy, non compelling way to bring him back. Katzman, when he returned with Duffy, said he just didn’t want to deal with anything in the dream season, except the is Jock dead or not story. Some viewers thought the dream was genius, but I think more just switched channels. The bubble had finally burst in the 86-87 season. The dream, plus the repetition of the storylines, just got too much for people to deal with. Then Victoria left, and the bottom really fell out.

by Anonymousreply 4305/03/2021

Katzman was about the men, not the women, so he basically side-lined Pam. But I think it's funny how Principal's departure seemed to have a worse effect on the show than Duffy's.

I don't think Katzman understood his show's audience -- lots of females and gays. By side-lining the women, he was, in effect, side-lining a huge portion of viewers.

by Anonymousreply 4405/03/2021

R44 true. plus Hagman forced Phil Capice, one of the executive producers since the shows inception, out after the dream season, who championed the actresses of the show. I don’t think Pam was reduced too much post dream season, but she became increasingly whinier. I remember the episode where she asked Jenna if she could give her Jennas baby after she gave birth. Yup. Like Jenna is just going to hand the baby over to Pam and Bobby after Bobby dumped her. The writing was seriously beginning to falter this season. I’m sure Victoria was just biding her time until she could get the hell out.

by Anonymousreply 4505/03/2021

I wonder if the dream "solution" factored into Principal's decision. She must have been embarrassed. After all, she is the one who opened the shower door and had to be like "Oh, Bobby, I had the strangest dream".

by Anonymousreply 4605/03/2021

R46 Principal maintains she gave her two year notice in 1985. But she was willing to stay through the 1987-1988 season if her price was met. I think it was an exorbitant salary request that she threw out to the producers knowing they wouldn’t pay. She just wanted to call their bluff but in retrospect they should’ve kept her one more season. She definitely had an exit plan though. She’s gone on record as saying the writing was deteriorating, and she just wanted to do other things. And they brought Duffy back with more money than they were paying her. I’m sure in Principals mind, the dream season was one more ridiculous thing that confirmed she was right about leaving.

by Anonymousreply 4705/03/2021

r41 Thank you and you are very welcome! Yes big example of overconfidence by Patrick Duffy. Did he land any movie roles in the year he left or were they just roles that were very much below his expectations?

I too liked Donnas relationship with Miss Ellie but I thought her relationship with Jenna was pretty decent too.However I would have loved more scenes between Sue Ellen and Donna and Pam and Donna.That angle felt under utilised to me. The sister in law relationships are always a greeat avenue to explore in any drama ,tv ,novel, theatre etc .Close enough to have a family bond but distant enough to create room for particular kinds of clashes, differences and diluted loyalty.

by Anonymousreply 4805/03/2021

r39 Yes it is hard to imagine what more they could have done with Jenna and I am glad they didnt put her back with Bobby after Pams horrendous car crash.

by Anonymousreply 4905/03/2021

Why did Miss Ellie dress like the maid?

by Anonymousreply 5005/03/2021

R48 he played a goat (I’m not lying) in a Alice in Wonderland miniseries. Plus another miniseries with another nighttime soap defector Pamela Sue Martin.

by Anonymousreply 5105/03/2021

I really hated the season without Pam. Although, funny enough, I was never a huge Pam fan, but I appreciated what Principal brought to the show. Her leaving really left a void and Bobby was never the same. Duffy and Principal had such great chemistry. I never saw it between Jenna and Bobby.

I was always intrigued by Bobby and Holly Harwood but the show never went there since she had slept with JR (although Bobby would end up with April later on). Lois Chiles was so gorgeous. She and Duffy would have had a hot love scene.

by Anonymousreply 5205/03/2021

I posted on a previous Dallas thread that I thought they should have kept Donna on the show after Pam’s departure and made her Bobby’s new love interest. The characters knew each other for decades and would create conflict with Ray and Jenna.

by Anonymousreply 5305/03/2021

R53 yes it was a huge mistake to let Howard go. She brought such intelligence to the role of Donna that would’ve been a stark contrast to the hillbillies and bimbos they brought on the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 5405/03/2021

r51 Good lord that made me chuckle! Patrick 1000% overestimated his appeal beyond Dallas!

by Anonymousreply 5505/03/2021

Vicki Ree Principal (born January 3, 1950), 71 years old. She's reportedly worth $350 million.

Later known as Victoria Principal, she is an American actress, producer, entrepreneur, and author, best known for her role as Pamela Barnes Ewing on the American primetime television soap opera series Dallas. She spent nine years on the long-running series, leaving in 1987. Afterwards, she began her own production company, Victoria Principal Productions, focusing mostly on television films. In the mid-1980s, she became interested in natural beauty therapies, and in 1989, she created a self-named line of skincare products, Principal Secret.

Principal became a best-selling author, writing three books about beauty, skincare, fitness, well-being, and health: The Body Principal (1983), The Beauty Principal (1984), and The Diet Principal (1987). In the 2000s, she wrote a fourth book, Living Principal (2001). She is also a two-time Golden Globe Award nominee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5605/03/2021

Thanks r56 Quite an achievement by Victoria

by Anonymousreply 5705/04/2021

Definitely preferred the opening credits, tune and sequence before autumn 1989 changes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5805/04/2021

Lets continue the Dallas chatter!!

by Anonymousreply 5905/04/2021

Oh I hadn't realised that Linda Gray and Barbara Bel Geddes were so close. Lovely to hear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6005/05/2021

R50 Miss Ellie looked like the matriarch of a trailer park. Her clothes looked like she shopped at K mart and her hair always looked oily.

by Anonymousreply 6105/05/2021

r61 But wasn't that an intrinsic part of her character? That she was wealthy but not superficial and grand but rather grounded?

by Anonymousreply 6205/05/2021

R62 yes. Barbara could look glam going to an event on the show, but around the ranch it was mainly her sack dresses. Plus from 1983 on, I think her casual look helped to hide her health issues and weight gain fluctuations.

by Anonymousreply 6305/05/2021

[quote]Miss Ellie looked like the matriarch of a trailer park. Her clothes looked like she shopped at K mart and her hair always looked oily.

And she smelled like toilet water and stale cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 6405/05/2021

I remember reading an interview with Susan Howard where she said she played a joke on Barbara Bel Geddes by turning up on the set wearing a wig and one of Miss Ellie's sack-dresses.

by Anonymousreply 6505/05/2021

She didn’t always dress like that . In the early seasons (before the heart attack ) Miss Ellie dressed like an old money matron.

by Anonymousreply 6605/05/2021

R66 true. But she didn’t dress Donna Reed chic either. When she returned to the role in late 1983, her leg was bandaged up after she went through her bypass surgery. You can see it in this clip right after she rounds the table and greets Jenna. Plus Barbara smoked like a fiend which didn’t help matters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6705/05/2021

The cinematography in the 1983-84 season -the one in r67’s clip- is different. The show looked more expensive that year. It’s also the year Travila started making the costumes .

by Anonymousreply 6805/05/2021

Never had the level of camp that Dallas attained.

by Anonymousreply 6905/05/2021

r69 Did you mean Dynasty?

by Anonymousreply 7005/05/2021

I really hope this show gets remastered and put on Blu-Ray one day.

by Anonymousreply 7105/05/2021

r71 To be honest I have never understood the difference between bluray and dvd.

by Anonymousreply 7205/05/2021

Basically Blu-ray is High Definition and DVD is Standard Definiton.

The show needs an upgrade.

by Anonymousreply 7305/05/2021

Thank you r73 I invested my money in a television that plays DVDS because DVDs seemed the more popular, durable and mainstream option.I hadnt considered that bluray was superior to be honest .I assumed DVDs wear because they seem more widely used.

by Anonymousreply 7405/05/2021

There's nothing wrong with DVDs but I can't lie - once I started watching Blu-Rays, it's hard to go back to DVDs. Everything looks stretched and pixilated. Blu-Ray looks so much crisper and better.

I don't think Dallas has ever been remastered. It really deserves some freshening up.

by Anonymousreply 7505/05/2021

r75 Thanks for the explainer

by Anonymousreply 7605/05/2021

One of my favorite scenes-so 80s, so camp. Love the pink computer and the Winger tramp’s whorish gait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7705/06/2021

Sue Ellen and Pam conformation. Love Sue Ellen’s floozy theme music, they played this whenever she was drunk or trying to fuck another man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7805/06/2021

Pam slaps the shit out of Sue Ellen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7905/06/2021

r77 One of my favourite scenes in Dallas ever!! Those two women really vicious in attacking each other!! A real battle of wife and mistress battling with and playing their best cards!

by Anonymousreply 80Last Friday at 2:02 AM

Mandy Winger was a... TRAMP!!

by Anonymousreply 81Last Saturday at 10:53 AM

r81 Indeed she was but delicious to watch!

by Anonymousreply 82Last Saturday at 4:21 PM

They should’ve kept Mandy on the show as JRs wife after the 1986-1987 season. Instead we got hick Cally. I really do believe they were trying to make this show as bad as possible after Victoria left almost daring the viewers to watch.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Saturday at 5:19 PM

I remember seeing this promo and being so excited for the series finale, and then, watched it and saw they were doing one of my least favorite tropes (It’s a Wonderful Life). And worse, they couldn’t get Victoria Principal or BBG back for the finale. I would have even been thrilled with a Susan Howard or Priscilla Presley appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84Last Saturday at 6:00 PM

Dallas was unwatchable in the last few years.

Overall Dallas was more consistent than Dynasty. But I could still watch Dynasty in its final years, and its final season was one of its best.

by Anonymousreply 85Last Saturday at 11:00 PM

r85 How much did the ratings plunge in the last few years?

by Anonymousreply 86Last Sunday at 5:01 AM

It dropped from 21st the season after Victoria left to 61st it’s last season. Due to the ratings, even if Victoria had agreed to stay longer, she would’ve been shown the door eventually. This is what happened to Linda Gray and Steve Kanaly. They couldn’t afford the actors that made the show during its glory years.

by Anonymousreply 87Last Sunday at 5:59 AM

Thanks r87 That indeed is an incredibly steep drop.

by Anonymousreply 88Last Sunday at 1:21 PM

did they all live in that house together? It didn’t look that large.

by Anonymousreply 89Last Sunday at 1:41 PM

The real Southfork is not as large as the original show implies ; it’s a McMansion that was featured in the revival, with maybe 5 or 6 bedrooms at most.

I visited it years ago and the pool, in particular, is small.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Sunday at 3:31 PM

r89 How many bedrooms and wings did it have do we know?

by Anonymousreply 91Last Sunday at 6:50 PM

Why did they call her Miss Ellie when she was a Mrs.?

by Anonymousreply 92Last Sunday at 10:58 PM

^Because Jock wouldn't "miss" a chance to cheat on her.

by Anonymousreply 93Last Monday at 3:16 AM

^^Jock certainly had an itch.

by Anonymousreply 94Last Monday at 5:32 AM

The living room somehow doubled in size in later seasons compared to earlier ones. I also noticed the decor changed between the end of the season when Bobby died and the beginning of the next when they had his funeral. Despite her grief Miss Ellie seemingly found time to refurbish .

by Anonymousreply 95Last Monday at 9:54 AM

I think it’s implied on the show that Southfork has 9 bedrooms or so.

In 1984-85, the season with the greatest number of characters living on Southfork, there were at least 10 people living at the ranch (Miss Ellie, Clayton, JR, Sue Ellen, Bobby, Jenna, Charlie, John Ross, Christopher when he visited his father, Lucy, and Jamie during the first half of the season).

Bobby and Jenna had separate bedrooms , Christopher had the old nursery with the crayon wallpaper and John Ross had a new room. Sue Ellen moved into a bedroom separate from JR after Jamie left Southfork, so maybe she took her room. That adds up to around 10 bedrooms.

When you go to the real Southfork I don’t think there are more than 5 or 6 bedrooms .

by Anonymousreply 96Last Monday at 10:03 AM

why would they all want to live under the same roof?

by Anonymousreply 97Last Monday at 3:43 PM

I loved Dallas when it was on, but have not seen it on TV anywhere since. Did I miss 30 years of syndication?

by Anonymousreply 98Last Monday at 3:55 PM

It made more sense in the miniseries (the first 5 episodes ). The ranch that was used was comprised of a large main house and a series of smaller homes adjacent to the property-you’ll notice that Sue Ellen and JR live in one of these small houses, and JR points out which house belongs to which brother when he’s giving Pam a tour of Southfork in the first episode .

That house burnt to the ground after filming. It’s unfortunate because in many ways it was grander than the house we know, more like a family compound:

As for syndication- Dallas has pretty much been in syndication for 3+ decades . It was on TNN and CMT in the 90s and early aughts, then soapnet. Right now the entire show is available for free on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 99Last Monday at 3:58 PM

Also on IMDb free.

by Anonymousreply 100Last Monday at 4:10 PM

R99 that DOES make sense, if it’s a family compound. Although out in the middle of some dusty Texas plain doesn’t seem the ideal spot to park a rich dynasty’s compound.

by Anonymousreply 101Last Tuesday at 1:22 AM

r99 Is Dynasty and Falcon Crest still in syndication?

by Anonymousreply 102Last Tuesday at 3:26 PM

Dynasty is also on Amazon Prime for free ( and it really is inferior to Dallas), r102.

Falcon Crest is also on Amazon Prime but you have to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 103Last Tuesday at 4:06 PM

Thank you r103

What makes Dynasty inferior to Dallas to you?

by Anonymousreply 104Last Tuesday at 6:39 PM

r97 Family love?!

by Anonymousreply 10512 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!