Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are the best places to visit in Africa outside of South Africa, safari, or Mediterranean-Euro adjacent places like Tangier?

Anyone vacationed in Africa? I think I would like Ethiopia. I like the food, and the Great Rift Valley fascinates me.

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2021 5:27 PM

Egypt.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2021 5:50 PM

In Ethiopia all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2021 5:51 PM

Please visit Sudan, OP. I will show you the best restaurants in town.

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2021 5:57 PM

I'm amazed how underdeveloped for tourism Africa is. All those countries should have been able to capitalize on that natural beauty, maybe become a party destination or something. Seems way underdeveloped for the number of countries and resources. If people can fly to Thailand than Africa should have been doable.

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2021 6:45 PM

East Africa- Kenya or Tanzania

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2021 7:04 PM

Key-nyuh

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2021 2:27 AM

I spent 10 days in Morocco and loved it. Marrakech was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2021 2:38 AM

Zimbabwe but insist on calling it Rhodesia when you visit.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2021 2:41 AM

[quote] Zimbabwe but insist on calling it Rhodesia when you visit.

More specifically Southern Rhodesia.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2021 5:32 AM

Africa is a jungle overcrowded with hungry predators just waiting to victimize your ignorant Western ass.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2021 5:41 AM

R4 - there is loads of tourism happening from Eastern Europe to Tanzania, Egypt, Zanzibar and Kenya. However, we aren't going to a place like Egypt as both my roommate and I object to their human rights record and aren't in the mood for a place you essentially have to hide who you are. Tanzania, Kenya and Zanzibar are places I would like to go to after I get the second jab. Costly but maybe one safsri ince in a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2021 9:11 AM

I suggest a farm in Africa at the foot of the Ngong Hills.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2021 2:39 PM

R12 It's still there. Turned into a museum by the Kenyan government.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2021 2:44 PM

Maybe Namibia?

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2021 2:48 PM

There are parts of Ethopia that are fascinating, like Asmara, the city Musssolini had built that's all Art Deco.

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2021 2:51 PM

Come to Darfur. Bring food.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2021 3:03 PM

Definitely Namibia - Sossusvlei, Fish River Canyon, maaaybe Lüderitz. Windhoek is just a place to stay for the night and stock up on stuff before heading out. But, it is also a place many start for a tour of Eastern Namibia, the Okavango Delta in Botswana, and up to Vic Falls. Sunrise and sunset over the savannah (and the Namib desert) in southern Africa is absolutely breathtaking.

Also, off the east coast is Mauritius, which is pretty chill has interesting, but maybe not breathtaking sights, beaches, etc.

Safaris in Kenya and Tanzania are cool, too. But go too long and you maybe never want to see another fucking zebra again in your life.

A former colleague of mine adores diving around São Tome. I went just to get away from a shittier shit hole (we can call them that again, yes?), and would not cross a continent just for that, but it was nice enough.

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2021 4:24 PM

[quote] we aren't going to a place like Egypt as both my roommate and I object to their human rights record and aren't in the mood for a place you essentially have to hide who you are.

Um, good luck finding any country in Africa that has a different record, R11, including the three you mentioned that you would like to go to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2021 7:27 PM

R18, they will think R11 and his roommate eat da poo poo.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2021 7:33 PM

Zanzibar

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2021 7:38 PM

r13 Coincidentally, I was at that very museum (and its nearby restaurant) on my last day in Kenya in March of last year. We ended up having our two-week tour cut short so we could get out of the country before they started to lock down and quarantine foreigners.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2021 7:43 PM

Angola, Mozambique and other former Portuguese colonies are relatively gay friendly, at least when it comes to the law. Dakar in Senegal is said to be one of the most interesting cities on the continent.

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2021 7:55 PM

R22 law and on-the-ground situation are two different things. Angola, for instance, is a place to avoid for so many reasons.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2021 11:07 PM

What about that place where Madonna bought her kids?

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2021 11:11 PM

I love the North Afican countries: Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria. Never been further south yet.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2021 11:21 PM

Madagascar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2021 11:32 PM

[quote] Madagascar

I’m mad at gas cars too. I like electric!

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2021 11:34 PM

OP, I stay with Jane but I know she wouldn't like you.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2021 11:36 PM

The people of Madagascar are a beautiful mix of Bantu and Austronesian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2021 11:38 PM

^^ oops.

Link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2021 11:39 PM

Excellent post R17. I agree with Namibia - jaw-dropping scenery, safe, and easily toured in a self-drive SUV. Botswana is similarly a great place to visit, especially if you like elephants!

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2021 11:46 PM

The Cape Verde Islands are a good place to base yourself if you want to visit but not stay too long in Senegal (direct flights). It's sort of Africa lite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2021 11:50 PM

Victoria Falls--amazing in and of itself, and you could add on side trips like a safari in Zambia and the Namib desert pretty easily. Fly on to Cape Town and you've got a great tour of African highlights.

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2021 11:51 PM

[quote] if you like elephants!

I do! I do!

by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2021 11:52 PM

Try camping in Botswana, and get closer to nature.

Like, REALLY close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2021 11:52 PM

[quote] The people of Madagascar are a beautiful mix of Bantu and Austronesian.

The girl at R29 is indeed beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2021 11:53 PM

Kenya for Nairobi maybe? And Uganda for it's annual gay pride parade?

by Anonymousreply 37May 4, 2021 12:04 AM

[quote] In Ethiopia all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2021 12:05 AM

I had a friend who was sent to Congo for work. Do not recommend either of them. Although he got a lot of huge big black cock while he was there. He’s racist as fuck toward American blacks but he couldn’t get enough of African dick

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2021 12:07 AM

I have heard Ghana is actually much more manageable than Nigeria...not that that's hard.

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2021 12:11 AM

Now that it’s a bit more sparsely populated Rwanda is quite beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2021 12:12 AM

Zanzibar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2021 2:01 AM

R42, OP said outside of safari

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2021 2:38 AM

I want to go to the Okovango Delta in Botswana for some wildlife photography and birding, but holy shit getting there would be a trial! Opposite side of the planet and no hope of direct flights.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2021 6:43 PM

R44 if you're in the US you can fly direct to Johannesburg from Atlanta, DC, and NYC but look forward to a 15+ hour flight. From there it's about a 1 hour flight to Maun, Botswana (on a regional jet or A319), then another 2 hour drive, on a mostly paved road (in so-so shape) to where you'll be staying. The cool thing about the drive, which is basically a two lane highway, is sighting the odd elephant by the side of the road, much like you would spot an elk or bison in Yellowknife. Surreal.

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2021 2:53 PM

*Yellowstone, I mean

by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2021 2:54 PM

This is what I mean

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2021 2:55 PM

I could visit the Congo and visit the birthplace of my virus!

by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2021 3:13 PM

R48, you can also get in a Congo line!

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2021 3:25 PM

You can travel by cargo ship, R44.

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2021 5:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!