Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

25 Years of Rent

25 years since Rent opened on Broadway. Can you believe it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171May 5, 2021 5:53 PM

I never liked it - it felt forced and too woke, even at the time. Went to see it again a couple of years ago - nope. Some people love it - but it's lost on me.

by Anonymousreply 1May 1, 2021 4:24 PM

That's 13,140,000 minutes ....

by Anonymousreply 2May 1, 2021 4:25 PM

25 years of rent could have bought you a house!

by Anonymousreply 3May 1, 2021 4:25 PM

This is the one where they author died the day before it opened or something. I’ve never been interested in seeing it. It just not my thing.

by Anonymousreply 4May 1, 2021 4:27 PM

or as people in Michigan say it. "Runt"

by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2021 4:31 PM

Woke? NYC in the 90s was very very diverse r1

You must be a transplant.

by Anonymousreply 6May 1, 2021 4:35 PM

People seem to really dislike that show. I’ve never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2021 4:37 PM

It's dated now and I don't really listen to the OCR anymore but there are some beautiful melodies in its score, so I'll always give it credit for that.

by Anonymousreply 8May 1, 2021 4:38 PM

It was the beginning of the end for Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 9May 1, 2021 4:39 PM

I always laugh when the word WOKE is thrown out at anything involving people of color. NYC had a lot of brown and black people in the 90s. Those shows like Friends were make believe.

People from other states who move to NYC use that word. A native wouldn’t use that word for a show like RENT, that rings true to many struggling young people in NYC in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 10May 1, 2021 4:44 PM

What’s most funny is it’s always gay men using the word woke regarding people of color, but never if gay people are thrown in the mix. As a matter of fact, if you see a black person eating lunch with white friends it’s “woke” but if it’s straight men and a gay, it’s not woke.

Meanwhile the latter is less likely to happen unless in a work setting.

by Anonymousreply 11May 1, 2021 4:45 PM

[quote]people of color

A woke phrase.

by Anonymousreply 12May 1, 2021 4:46 PM

R12 no. A phrase to make it simpler than saying “blacks, Hispanics, Asians etc.”

You just say “people of color” when it involves more than one minority group.

by Anonymousreply 13May 1, 2021 4:49 PM

It’s woke. You’re woke.

by Anonymousreply 14May 1, 2021 4:51 PM

No. It’s simple. You’re 2% of the population 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 15May 1, 2021 4:53 PM

It’s okay. You’re woke. You probably believe trans women are women. You are the bizarro right-wing who believe vaccines implant microchips. My goal is to get away from you and them.

by Anonymousreply 16May 1, 2021 4:55 PM

Again, you’re 2% of the population. You should be thanking WOKENESS for getting you rights instead of attacking it.

by Anonymousreply 17May 1, 2021 4:56 PM

Gays are not woke.

by Anonymousreply 18May 1, 2021 4:57 PM

And the woke had nothing to do with granting gay marriage. The supreme court did that.

by Anonymousreply 19May 1, 2021 4:58 PM

R9, I think they said the same thing about "Cats" back in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 20May 1, 2021 4:59 PM

The wokeness of the Supreme Court, yes. It took a lot of fighting to get there.

Jesus you’re uneducated and psychotic.

by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2021 5:00 PM

I really hated RENT, really all of it.

I moved to NYC in 1980 and saw it all, now way does any of this take place after 1985 or so, and every character is so unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 22May 1, 2021 5:01 PM

And you just name call.

by Anonymousreply 23May 1, 2021 5:01 PM

Absolutely hate Rent

by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2021 5:02 PM

R7 don’t waste your time

by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2021 5:03 PM

PS I hate Rent but labeling anything with black and Hispanic people “woke” is becoming annoying.

Meanwhile gay men being pushed into projects despite being 2% of the population isn’t “woke”. Give me a break. At least be consistent and not a hypocrite

by Anonymousreply 26May 1, 2021 5:03 PM

Rent is cheesy as hell, but it is almost certainly one of the early pond ripples for mainstream gay acceptance, especially for late gen x/early millennials who were the first generation to be overwhelmingly pro-gay in the US.

And even if much of the score sounds like incidental music on Friends, Seasons of Love is a nice song.

by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2021 5:08 PM

R26 2%?

Studies have shown that around 33% of men has had same sex relations ar least once in his life

Shit almost all the men I hooked up with would say they were straight

So please shit the fuck up

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2021 5:12 PM

Born and raised in NYC, and NYC in the mid-late 80s had all types of weird people running around of all colors. When I watch this, it reminds me of people I would see in Brooklyn. It’s no surprise a transplant would not understand or know otherwise. They’re in a city they have no business being in.

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2021 5:14 PM

R28 that’s a lie. 2% of men are openly gay. 2.

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2021 5:15 PM

Still the most overrated musical in Broadway history.

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2021 5:16 PM

It’s overrated, yes. But it also rings true to many of us.

I don’t expect a white transplant from Ohio or Indiana or Kansas to relate.

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2021 5:17 PM

I was a kid and this was the Broadway musical that every damn NYC talk show had to have the cast on to sing that stupid whatever days song

Looking at you Rosie O'donnell Show

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2021 5:17 PM

My least favorite Broadway experience.

I would have walked out but a friend had bought the tickets as a gift.

by Anonymousreply 34May 1, 2021 5:17 PM

Gay Men DIE.

Straight people and Lesbians get MAGICAL CURE.

Fucking homophobic TRASH.

by Anonymousreply 35May 1, 2021 5:18 PM

It wouldn't have done that well had Jonathan Larson not dropped dead one night during the rehearsals. That generated tons of buzz about it.

by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2021 5:18 PM

R6 - I lived in the East Village in the late 80's and early 90's on St. Mark's Place. I remember the Tompkins Square riots and the squatters in the area - that was what the play was based on.

Kindly take a fucking seat and go back to typing from your mom's basement in some outer borough where the only thing you have to offer is to call people transplants.

by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2021 5:21 PM

R30 that may be true in polls but MOST men that have had or occasionally still have same sex relations , DO NOT identify as gay

Many won't even say their bisexual

A few years back ij NYC, an AIDS hospice was trying to get gay men to volunteer, after not many gay men came forward, they changed their campaign from "gay men wanted" to " looking for men who have had sexual relations with another man at least once in the last year"

The replies went through the roof

You must be a frau that thiinks every man whose hooked up with men is openly out, flamboyant and goes to gay pride parades

That's so far from the truth its not even funny

by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2021 5:21 PM

R35 what? No. The gay man got aids and died in NYC, during the 80s. Rings VERY TRUE, as I stated already.

by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2021 5:22 PM

R38 this seems illogic. The man who has had a few MSM experiences but doesn't identify as gay doesn't seem the type to volunteer for an AIDS hospice, That seems it would be the sole domain of GAY men and some sympathetic women.

by Anonymousreply 40May 1, 2021 5:27 PM

at R39, you're WRONG.

The GAY MEN are pariahs in RENT who DIE.

The straights and lesbians all get the magical cure and live.

Homophobic, like YOU, .

by Anonymousreply 41May 1, 2021 5:28 PM

I thought beepers were important plot devices in the musical. How did they update?

by Anonymousreply 42May 1, 2021 5:29 PM

I love RENT! Great melodies and a nice message.

It’s loud in the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 43May 1, 2021 5:35 PM

[Quote] The GAY MEN are pariahs in RENT who DIE.

One gay man dies

by Anonymousreply 44May 1, 2021 5:36 PM

Heterosexual LOVE saves the straight people.

by Anonymousreply 45May 1, 2021 5:37 PM

R40 they were paid for their services

Everyone knows tha most men who've had same sex experiences never identify as gay, because of the horrible stigma that comes with it

by Anonymousreply 46May 1, 2021 5:39 PM

And psycho just exposed himself again at r41

All over every thread. Every single one.

by Anonymousreply 47May 1, 2021 5:40 PM

Gay men are a minority. Period.

by Anonymousreply 48May 1, 2021 5:40 PM

Having a same sex experience doesn’t make you gay. That’s the issue. You all are soooo desperate you can’t grasp what an experience is.

by Anonymousreply 49May 1, 2021 5:41 PM

That piece of psycho shit always goes on and on about the putter boroughs, yet has never admitted where they are actually from.

I may be from Brooklyn, but that’s still nyc. You are here because you wanna be one of us. Know your place.

by Anonymousreply 50May 1, 2021 5:44 PM

I hate it. It sucks.

by Anonymousreply 51May 1, 2021 5:44 PM

I love Rent. Both on stage and film.

by Anonymousreply 52May 1, 2021 5:46 PM

Was Idina's acting better in Rent than it was in Wicked?

by Anonymousreply 53May 1, 2021 5:49 PM

Idina isn’t much of a complex actress. She just has an amazing voice

by Anonymousreply 54May 1, 2021 5:52 PM

It was OK when it came out. The big thing was the gay /AIDS focus - which in retrospect looks as dated as “Philadelphia”. It did not hold up well. At the time it was edgy - now it’s dated. I find it painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 55May 1, 2021 6:14 PM

Well, it was that time period. Everything becomes “dated”

by Anonymousreply 56May 1, 2021 6:33 PM

You guys inspired me to watch this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 1, 2021 10:03 PM

Y’all are gonna come for me but I enjoy the movie, even though it worked better as a broadway show.

I didn’t like Rosario Dawson in it though. At all.

And always felt bad for the stage actors who wanted to do the movie but weren’t cast because they wouldn’t translate well to film etc.

by Anonymousreply 58May 1, 2021 10:19 PM

Rosario is beautiful but hated her.

Did anyone watch Rent Live! On Fox? I missed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 1, 2021 10:36 PM

I feel like that’s actually an interesting mark of the times, R58, and an example of what a different world it is now from the mid-Aughts. Imagine if a Broadway show got made into a movie musical nowadays with all the original cast except the Black woman and the Latina.

by Anonymousreply 60May 1, 2021 10:37 PM

I didn’t like Idina Menzel in the movie either tbh

by Anonymousreply 61May 1, 2021 10:39 PM

Watching a bunch of 35 year olds frolicking around an obviously post-911 lower Manhattan made the movie feel Iike a less edgy version of Godspell.

by Anonymousreply 62May 1, 2021 10:56 PM

The movie is passable, but the criticism that they all look too old is true, and the tone and aesthetic wasn't quite right. The cast was around 35 and couldn't inhabit the songs like they did 10 years prior.

by Anonymousreply 63May 1, 2021 10:56 PM

The movie made sure to avoid certain shots because it was post 9/11

Also, the movie changes the years. I believe the Broadway show was in the 80s while the movie is the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 64May 1, 2021 10:57 PM

I wonder why they didn’t just build a whole new cast for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 65May 1, 2021 10:58 PM

“As many Broadway show-goers and longtime East Village residents already know, “Rent” takes place in the heart of the East Village during the AIDS epidemic in the mid-to-late 1980s. ... Although a work of fiction, the play speaks to the very real history of AIDS in the East Village during the 1980s.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 1, 2021 11:02 PM

Yes, the Broadway show was 80s and the movie was early 90s.

I noticed this when the movie references Thelma and Louise, something not in the Broadway musical.

by Anonymousreply 67May 1, 2021 11:03 PM

Gurl, more like Rent controled.

by Anonymousreply 68May 1, 2021 11:05 PM

I've never seen it but I heard it's about a bunch of assholes who don't want to pay their rent. And that the title song has lyrics like these:

"Ughhhhh--

Ughhhhh--

Ughhhhh-- I can't think

Ughhhhh--

Ughhhhh--I need a drink

We're not gonna pay

We're not gonna pay

We're not gonna pay

Last year's rent

This year's rent

Next year's rent

Rent rent rent rent rent

We're not gonna pay rent"

Sounds like it's a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 69May 1, 2021 11:13 PM

The film of the last Bway performance is far superior than the studio film

by Anonymousreply 70May 1, 2021 11:49 PM

WHET Bellamy Young?

by Anonymousreply 71May 1, 2021 11:49 PM

I always wondered why they cast most of the original cast in the film. I mean, I get why, but they were playing early-mid 20s struggling in NYC. They all looked too old.

They should have just cast everyone new, and young, being that they didn’t even cast every single original cast member.

by Anonymousreply 72May 2, 2021 12:19 AM

I loved the song “Your Eyes”, particularly in the movie. I feel it’s the one song they did right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 2, 2021 12:22 AM

[quote]WHET Bellamy Young?

She became the president of the United States.

by Anonymousreply 74May 2, 2021 12:29 AM

She was also on Revenge

by Anonymousreply 75May 2, 2021 12:42 AM

The weird thing about them casting 6 out of 8 of the original cast members was that RENT was still on Broadway when this movie came out, with its new younger cast.

The film came out in 2005, and the Broadway show ended in 2008.

If anything they could have used the current younger Broadway actors for the film instead of the older ones.

by Anonymousreply 76May 2, 2021 12:44 AM

I actually found the closing scene to the film effective. I’m glad they changed it from the stage version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 2, 2021 12:58 AM

[quote]Born and raised in NYC, and NYC in the mid-late 80s had all types of weird people running around of all colors. When I watch this, it reminds me of people I would see in Brooklyn. It’s no surprise a transplant would not understand or know otherwise. They’re in a city they have no business being in.

STFU . Nobody shares your fixation on transplants. NYC attracts people from all over the world. Many have money. They've always come to NYC. They always will. Suck it up, chulo.

by Anonymousreply 78May 2, 2021 1:07 AM

I lived in Boston during college when Rent was really popular and I remember during the Louise Woodward trial e prosecutors mentioned Louise was obsessed with Rent and had seen it dozens of times.

by Anonymousreply 79May 2, 2021 1:12 AM

The films main audience was older women.

by Anonymousreply 80May 2, 2021 1:14 AM

I assume the Broadway show had all types of people go see it, as it was on Broadway for 12 years before closing. One of the longest running ever.

by Anonymousreply 81May 2, 2021 1:15 AM

[quote]I may be from Brooklyn, but that’s still nyc. You are here because you wanna be one of us. Know your place.

Nobody comes to NYC so they can hang with the natives. Lots of outer borough native NYers are just low class trash.

by Anonymousreply 82May 2, 2021 1:17 AM

R82 you aren’t a NYer though.

by Anonymousreply 83May 2, 2021 1:18 AM

Fran Lebowitz recently said that if you've lived in NY long enough to bitch about something in the city that isn't there anymore, then congratulations you're now a NYer lol!

by Anonymousreply 84May 2, 2021 1:21 AM

After 25 years of rent you could have owned the place.

I never understood the popularity of this thing. It sounded dated and inauthentic when it was new.

by Anonymousreply 85May 2, 2021 1:22 AM

I didn't like it either. And I was in the E Village at the time.

by Anonymousreply 86May 2, 2021 1:26 AM

R85 bullshit. It actually originated in 1993 but then was off-Broadway in 1995 and then Broadway in 1996-2008.

The early 90s gay men were still dying from aids.

It didn’t feel dated.

by Anonymousreply 87May 2, 2021 1:30 AM

R84 Fact is no matter how long you’re here, a transplant views the city through the eyes of a tourist. You just aren’t the same.

by Anonymousreply 88May 2, 2021 1:31 AM

Keep telling yourself that r88.

by Anonymousreply 89May 2, 2021 1:44 AM

It’s the truth lmao r89. You fools never say where you were born. Where you grew up. Where your HS was.

If you moved here after HS, you can’t relate to someone who was here their whole life and went to school here etc. you just can’t.

by Anonymousreply 90May 2, 2021 1:47 AM

Was Larson gay?

by Anonymousreply 91May 2, 2021 1:53 AM

r90 your only sense of worth comes from being born and raised in an outer borough. You're a sad pathetic loser. And nobody cares about your stupid fixation with people who move to NYC from elsewhere. BTW they're more successful than you'll ever be.

by Anonymousreply 92May 2, 2021 1:56 AM

Thinking back on it as a grown adult, it's funny to me that Benny is supposed to be a villain, since, in reality, he's just trying to look after the people he cared about. He wanted to use his rich wife's wealth to build housing and art studios for his friends. What a monster!

R53

No. She wasn't as atrocious as Daphne Rubin-Vega, but her acting was fairly stilted. A lot of musical theater actors are there because they're decent at singing but not great at acting.

R64

Wasn't the movie shot in San Francisco?

by Anonymousreply 93May 2, 2021 2:05 AM

Maudlin. Treacle. Unmusical. Manipulative.

by Anonymousreply 94May 2, 2021 2:08 AM

The stage is for an actor to do what they want.

I forgot who said this but it was basically

TV is all about the writers

Films are all about the directors

Stage is all about the ACTOR

The best place for an actor is the stage.

by Anonymousreply 95May 2, 2021 2:15 AM

R93 those new buildings would make the area more expensive, putting the locals onto the streets. They already were struggling, and many were, that would hurt more people than help.

by Anonymousreply 96May 2, 2021 2:16 AM

Rent was the beginning of the end as far as musicals that lectured incessantly. Musicals used to be fun; not they’re cringeworthy after-school specials, or worse, in-school wheel-out-the-tv-for-a-very-special-lesson-kiddos, nightmares. Can’t watch them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 97May 2, 2021 2:16 AM

RENT didn’t preach though. You keep saying that but it’s not true. It was a story about 20somethings trying to make it in NYC, while also struggling financially or health wise, as the AIDS pandemic was very real and alive in its setting, the 80s.

It never preached much of anything

by Anonymousreply 98May 2, 2021 2:19 AM

R37 I lived on 11th Street off of Avenue A in the late 80s through the 90s and this play did not represent my experience or the definitive experience of people in my neighborhood and didn't resonate with many people I knew as well I actually met Jonathan Larson when he worked at the Moondance diner in Soho. And the play was based on La Boheme and updated and transplanted to the East Village. I hung out in Tompkins Square Park as well as Crobar, Stingy Lulus, Kiev, Kim's Video, the Saint Marks Baths, Flamingo East, The Pyramid, 7A . . .

by Anonymousreply 99May 2, 2021 3:07 AM

But this was the experience for others r99. You also didn’t die of aids but guess what, many gay men in NYC did in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 100May 2, 2021 3:16 AM

Meh. I was in my 20s in the period in NY and my friends and 2 lovers died of aids and more in the 90s. Rent was maudlin and not for us. It was about as authentic as any show or movie about downtown New York Bohemia. I don't begrudge flyoverstans finding it meaningful and moving.

by Anonymousreply 101May 2, 2021 3:19 AM

I can understand someone saying “this wasn’t my experience”, but when you speak as if it couldn’t have been anyone’s experience simply because it wasn’t yours, there is an issue there and you’re most likely bullshitting.

I don’t believe you lived in that area ever, especially the 80s.

People like that still existed in the 90s yet alone the 80s.

You saw starving artists, drug addicts etc. all over this city in the 80s. The drug pandemic was very real. The aids pandemic even more real. People barely being able to pay rent. Yup.

by Anonymousreply 102May 2, 2021 3:24 AM

Thats all too horribly true R102. I am R101 and I guess you are doubting R99?

This is about taste really. To me, the tone of RENT is what makes it NOT about marginal lives in the AIDS years. But people with a higher tolerance for musical theatre treacle might certainly feel otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 103May 2, 2021 3:28 AM

I think the great AIDS musical show is yet to be written. It will be about Klaus Nomi's rise and fall.

by Anonymousreply 104May 2, 2021 3:30 AM

R103 ok that I can understand. You don’t like the tone etc. I get that. But it’s the people speaking as if what happened in this show was not what was happening in that time period that is annoying me.

The drug pandemic in NYC was severe in the 80s. The Aids pandemic was severe in the 80s. You had people dropping dead in the streets, literally. You had people ODing out in public. The homeless situation was insane. And you had struggling, starving artists all over this city. This was back when artsy people were moving here with no money and could still get by, or barely.

And this was all over the city, even the “richer” parts were having shit happen.

RENT touched on those topics, but you all are also forgetting it’s a musical, not a play. Had it been made a play it probably would have had a much different tone.

by Anonymousreply 105May 2, 2021 3:37 AM

R100 R102 I grew up in the 60s and in reality the vast majority of people weren't listening to the Doors, wearing headbands, smoking pot, dropping acid or protesting the Vietnam war or anything like the characters in Hair though you might not think that if you saw many of the films or plays set in that era. And why would I be bullshitting. You seem to have a limited purview.

by Anonymousreply 106May 2, 2021 3:38 AM

R106 and I grew up in NYC during those years. This WAS happening here.

by Anonymousreply 107May 2, 2021 3:40 AM

I can't speak for the 80s, but Rent doesn't really jibe with my memories of the EV in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 108May 2, 2021 3:42 AM

I saw a great version of it with an all-little-people cast.

They called it "Runt."

by Anonymousreply 109May 2, 2021 3:43 AM

RENT wasn’t saying every young person in NYC was dealing with these same issues. It was about this core group dealing with these issues, and those issues brought them together.

Maybe you should watch the show. I don’t think you have. Even the movie. These characters are surrounded by people who have their shit together. But they don’t.

by Anonymousreply 110May 2, 2021 3:43 AM

R108 by early 90s Guiliani had done what he did already. There were still issues but he shipped the homeless off to other states, had everything raided and shut down, starting with anything... GAY.

by Anonymousreply 111May 2, 2021 3:45 AM

R106 It was happening but not to most that was my point. Rent isn't a limited view of a subculture but it wasn't THE culture. Just like most people didn't die from AIDs or COVID.

by Anonymousreply 112May 2, 2021 3:50 AM

^ R107

by Anonymousreply 113May 2, 2021 3:53 AM

It was always mediocrity incarnate. But because of the HETEROSEXUAL author’s untimely demise, and it’s veneer of edgy-hipness, it became one of those ‘zeitgeist’ musicals. They don’t age well.

by Anonymousreply 114May 2, 2021 4:26 AM

oops, “its veneer”—fucking autocorrect!

by Anonymousreply 115May 2, 2021 4:26 AM

Saw In The heights, and it seems Daphne has FINALLY stopped filling her face with Tupperware and silicone and looks almost human now.

by Anonymousreply 116May 2, 2021 4:28 AM

Along with The Producers and Hamilton, Rent was one of the most over-hyped. over rated musicals ever. Except for 1 tune from Rent none of them produced a song that has become a standard and unlike say Gypsy, West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, Chicago . . . I don't think they will be revived decade after decade and all 3 were made into movies that flopped.

by Anonymousreply 117May 2, 2021 4:42 AM

Hamilton has a movie? I totally missed that.

by Anonymousreply 118May 2, 2021 4:44 AM

R118 Count your blessings! It bypassed theaters, and luckily you, due to the pandemic and went directly to Disney streaming last year and was nominated for 2 Golden Globes: Best Motion Picture Musical or Comedy and Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture-Musical or Comedy Lin-Manuel Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 119May 2, 2021 4:57 AM

I missed Hamilton too.

Rent was overrated. It was ok, but nothing spectacular. There were only two good songs.

by Anonymousreply 120May 2, 2021 5:00 AM

Overrated? What exactly do you expect from a musical other than two hours of entertainment?

Rent is great in the theatre as is Hamilton. Did either change my life? No, but they were a fun few hours

by Anonymousreply 121May 2, 2021 5:25 AM

The thing that's hard for me to get past, and many people have said this before me, is that the characters in the show would never be caught dead in something so "cheesy" as a musical. I disagree with the comments that there are no memorable songs. Maybe not memorable in the "Memory" from Cats way, but there are several great pop-rock songs in the score. The original cast looked great together too.

by Anonymousreply 122May 2, 2021 5:45 AM

I want to live in Manhattan, but can’t afford. No one in my family has made it to “the City” yet, but we keep trying! Maybe my sisters’ kids. I’m wearing white crocs in BK!

by Anonymousreply 123May 2, 2021 7:01 AM

R123 is definitely a transplant lmaooooo. That post just exposed it.

And he should stop dropping names of people he doesn’t know before yet another account gets red tagged.

by Anonymousreply 124May 2, 2021 9:05 AM

Seasons of Love is a classic. It’s mostly the same person commenting over and over.

It was just made a Live TV musical a couple of years ago because of its popularity, and it did well on ratings and got Emmy nominations.

by Anonymousreply 125May 2, 2021 9:06 AM

R125 It killed live musicals, it was an utter, endless trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 126May 2, 2021 9:11 AM

The show was a smash, and one of the longest running in history. If it’s success was strictly because the writer dropped dead, then it would have been a brief success and then died off. No. That’s not what happened. People went to see it and kept going, bringing in millions.

It’s one of the most successful running Broadway shows.

It won many awards, including Best Musical at the Tony’s and a Pulitzer Prize for Drama.

The film DIDNT do well with critics or viewers, but the Broadway show was the opposite.

The Fox Live Special was one of the highest rated things shown on TV that year and received Emmy nods.

Shows how much you know about how it’s regarded and received.

by Anonymousreply 127May 2, 2021 9:15 AM

R127 Oh stop lying ya fucking loser...

Fox's broadcast of a not-really-live Rent on Sunday finished with a 1.4 rating in the adults 18-49 demographic and 3.42 million viewers in early numbers, marking the lowest-rated of the broadcast networks' musical event shows.28/01/2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 2, 2021 9:18 AM

R128 it wasn’t promoted much and it was still seen as a success.

by Anonymousreply 129May 2, 2021 9:25 AM

Take the shovel out of your ass.

Unfortunately, though, it proved to be the death knell of live musicals on network television. Only 3.5 million viewers tuned in, a stark contrast to the 18 million who watched NBC's Sound of Music in 2013. Immediately following the tanking of Rent, NBC canceled its planned broadcast of Hair, citing a need for a title that's more family-friendly. They have not announced a replacement. Fox hasn't announced a follow up, either. (We did get The Little Mermaid on ABC, but it wasn't a fully live musical, it was an airing of the movie interspersed with a decked-out concert.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 2, 2021 9:30 AM

I survived that era, and this show does not resonate with me at all.

by Anonymousreply 131May 2, 2021 9:44 AM

We know r131

You’ve told us more than once on here.

by Anonymousreply 132May 2, 2021 1:31 PM

Can I believe it? I certainly can.

by Anonymousreply 133May 2, 2021 2:22 PM

R127 You're a pathetic and complete and utter fraud. The closest you ever got to the East Village in the 80s was your mother's basement in Dayton, Ohio. I did live in the East Village and you make it sound like everyone was dying of Aids, starving, on drugs and the streets were littered with bodies. Bullshit! You keep arguing that you lived through it and anyone who wasn't born in NY or is a transplant couldn't possibly understand what it was like. Well, that includes Johnathan Larson (b.1960) who grew up in Mt. Vernon and didn't arrive in New York till after he graduated college and had worked in theater workshops in Michigan. Rent is like life in the East Village as reimagined by the producers of Glee. Smithereens, Desperately Seeking Susan, Mondo New York, Wigstock: The Movie and Mixed Blood have more of a feel for what downtown NY was like in the 80s. And as far as Rent's continuing success, it was revived at the New World Stages in midtown in 2011 in a theater with less than 500 seats; smaller than my high school auditorium.

by Anonymousreply 134May 2, 2021 3:57 PM

Ugh, New World Stages. Hands down the worst off-Broadway theater in town.

by Anonymousreply 135May 2, 2021 6:38 PM

R135 Back in the 90s I believe those spaces were movie theaters and for a while they were a $1 dollar movie house. I used to live in Hell's Kitchen and saw Eyes Wide Shut, Black Robe and In the Name of the Father there. The theaters were below street level.

by Anonymousreply 136May 2, 2021 6:47 PM

I used to go to World Wide Plaza when it was a 2 dollar movie house - 90s. Was it a dollar? I was poor for a couple years and I adored going there. Sometimes I went with a poor fuckbuddy of mine. We would pool our change and get shakes at McDo. He had a monster cock. Loved that guy but he was taken.

by Anonymousreply 137May 2, 2021 7:22 PM

R137 Could have been $2. I recall that it started at as more of a first run theater with regular prices and eventually became more of a neighborhood theater.

by Anonymousreply 138May 2, 2021 7:27 PM

Yes it just transformed into a 2nd 3rd run house despite being almost new. Loved that place. A godsend to the poor.

by Anonymousreply 139May 2, 2021 7:30 PM

Take Me Or Leave Me is another classic song from this one

by Anonymousreply 140May 2, 2021 7:47 PM

The Live TV version actually was good. The issue is they barely promoted it. I didn’t even know it was a thing until after it aired!

Also, the guy who played Roger, Brennin Hunt, sprained his ankle or something a couple of days before they were supposed to go on, so they had to use the pre-recorded rehearsals for many of his scenes and then others were done live. That didn’t help the flow at all. Also, he was their weakest link. Even Vanessa Hudgens was better. He had no expressions and you could tell he was struggling to reach the higher notes at times.

It’s all a shame because the scenes that were done live were terrific, like the ending, where they just had him sit. You can see the cast on his leg. It could have been better all around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141May 2, 2021 8:15 PM

R141 Yeah, too bad they didn't promote it like you've been promoting your bullshit expertise on NY on the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 142May 2, 2021 8:38 PM

R141 Honey, nobody is buying the bullshit you are selling.

by Anonymousreply 143May 2, 2021 8:43 PM

R143 what am I selling? I was stating what happened

by Anonymousreply 144May 2, 2021 8:53 PM

R144 They advertised the fuck out of Rent, everywhere. It bombed because it was badly cast and shitty.

by Anonymousreply 145May 2, 2021 8:55 PM

The 2010 West Coast Cast with Skylar Astin, Aaron Tveit and Vanessa Hudgens as MiMi (miscast)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146May 2, 2021 8:57 PM

R143 You're fishier than the seaquaruim at Baltimore Inner Harbor and no one is buying your bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 147May 2, 2021 8:59 PM

^Not meant for R143 but the fabulist at R144

by Anonymousreply 148May 2, 2021 9:01 PM

R144 You weren't stating what merely happened but were busy negating what others said and determined whose experience was valid based on your criteria. Everything you've posted on this thread has been invalidated by sources more credible than you. You make it up as you go along!

by Anonymousreply 149May 2, 2021 9:07 PM

R149 lmaoooooooooo

by Anonymousreply 150May 2, 2021 9:19 PM

I thought there would be more personal memories of the show and less fighting over what is a real New Yorker or New York experience.

by Anonymousreply 151May 2, 2021 9:24 PM

R151 Welcome to DL!

by Anonymousreply 152May 2, 2021 9:39 PM

R150 Lie your ass off is more like it.

by Anonymousreply 153May 2, 2021 9:48 PM

I've never understood the complaint that it was "dated."

The show was about a particular moment in history. As for the music and songs, they aren't any more dated that any other musical.

You can like it or not, but the criticism that it's dated seems a bit of a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 154May 2, 2021 9:53 PM

[Quote] I used to go to World Wide Plaza when it was a 2 dollar movie house - 90‘a.

Loved that $2 movie house!!!

by Anonymousreply 155May 2, 2021 11:30 PM

There’s an excellent Blu-ray of the final Bway cast—live.

It’s better than the movie or the Tv versions

by Anonymousreply 156May 2, 2021 11:31 PM

RENT is a tour de force of emotions, relationships, convictions, promises and lies. The music is beautifully melodic in some areas and grooving funk in others. It's rock 'n' roll and it's classic musical style. It follows the ageless tradition of musicals that have preceeded and it has started something wonderful for musicals of the future to draw from for years to come.

The roles are deep and complex but they're just about as everyday as you can get. They're a bunch of friends, enemies and lovers in NYC trying to live their dreams, but trying to do it in the purest way possible. Mark's performance is the pivotal one, narrating and tying the individual stories together, and Roger's is the most painful. Tom is sensibility and Angel is reason. Every facet of human nature and human emotion is present in this recording and this whole show. It is a marvel of modern theatre and the music is brilliant. The words are all like poems, beautiful epic poems. They'll make you cry and they'll make you think and they'll most of all make you ponder life. No day but today!!!

by Anonymousreply 157May 3, 2021 12:42 AM

Nothing says desperate impoverished downtown Bohemia in the AIDS apocalypse, like "music (that is) is beautifully melodic in some areas and grooving funk in others"

by Anonymousreply 158May 3, 2021 12:45 AM

It’s a BROADWAY MUSICAL. Not a PLAY.

Learn the difference.

Also, the show isn’t about AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 159May 3, 2021 12:49 AM

I know all about Rent honey. I know the producer intimately. (big beautiful cock and beautiful body at the time). Did you learn to write at the Sheboygan Conservatory of Purple Prose?

by Anonymousreply 160May 3, 2021 12:56 AM

R160 now you’ve fucked the producer? Jesus. You’re a mess.

by Anonymousreply 161May 3, 2021 12:58 AM

Who do you think I am? I said I don't think rent says anything about that NY era. I'm not the Stan in this thread. And yeah I fucked the producer!

by Anonymousreply 162May 3, 2021 1:02 AM

No. You didn’t. Please just stop.

by Anonymousreply 163May 3, 2021 1:03 AM

Sure I did. We were neighbors in Brooklyn. I moved there when I got priced out of the East village, in the 80s! As I was a bohemian, fuck face. And we fucked like rabbits. But finally he wasn't into me. Pity, I would be a so rich now. Rent is half-baked emotional romantic treacle so a recipe for middle and low brow success. It has a heart but it has jack all to do with anthropology of that urban moment. Go ahead and be a huge stan of the show. Most of us just roll our eyes or shrug.

by Anonymousreply 164May 3, 2021 1:16 AM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 165May 3, 2021 1:50 AM

[quote]Yes, the Broadway show was 80s and the movie was early 90s.

No, that is exactly the criticism. The Playbill states the play takes place "Today", which was 1996, and the events and characters were clearly from 1984 or not much later. By 1996 it was already anachronistic.

by Anonymousreply 166May 3, 2021 4:21 AM

the clip at 146 and the song are about as close to the EV in the 80s as Darien, Connecticut.

by Anonymousreply 167May 4, 2021 4:56 AM

^R148

by Anonymousreply 168May 4, 2021 4:57 AM

Vanessa Hudgens is awful. How does she always get work?

by Anonymousreply 169May 4, 2021 3:18 PM

r157

I don’t know how to break it to you but... you have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 170May 5, 2021 5:51 PM

Let’s hear more about Jeffrey Seller’s big cock. Did you sit on it?

by Anonymousreply 171May 5, 2021 5:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!