Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Air Fryers seem to be all the rage in kitchen appliances and I have a few friends who are crazy about them

I'm on the fence about getting one. Do any of you here use one? Is it worth it? How do you like it? I confess, I mainly want one so that I can make crispy green beans.

by Anonymousreply 46May 11, 2021 3:49 PM

They were a rage 5 years ago, dear. Yes, they are awesome!

by Anonymousreply 1May 1, 2021 3:58 PM

Household with a teenager here. He uses it for those lousy Perdue chicken nuggets. I use it to reheat fast food french fries if they're cool by the time we get home.

by Anonymousreply 2May 1, 2021 4:02 PM

There great for making soufflés. And cream puffs.

by Anonymousreply 3May 1, 2021 4:02 PM

Like R1 said, this was a thing 5 years ago.... how are you just hearing about it now? Regardless, they are great, I have a fairly large one and use it all the time! It's less a fryer and more a high-powered mini portable convection oven. Obviously, the marketing department wouldn't like that name, but it is great at cooking a wide variety of foods very quickly that taste better than putting them in a microwave.

I've done "grilled" chicken, homemade cream cheese rangoons, freshly cut fries, pineapple upside down cake, etc. It really does replace a lot of my other appliances except where I have to cook with liquids on a stove.

by Anonymousreply 4May 1, 2021 4:14 PM

Steaks cook to perfection in the air fryer. Line the basket with foil and there will be little mess to clean afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2021 4:15 PM

[quote] Steaks cook to perfection in the air fryer. Line the basket with foil and there will be little mess to clean afterwards.

Link?

by Anonymousreply 6May 1, 2021 5:22 PM

[quote]Steaks cook to perfection in the air fryer. Line the basket with foil and there will be little mess to clean afterwards.

Do you flip them over half way just like you would on the stove? And how long on each side?

by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2021 5:49 PM

I heard about them a year ago so I got one and I can't cook for shit but it does cook steak and chicken really well. If you line the bottom it defeats the purpose of the circulation of the air which is what its main purpose is.

by Anonymousreply 8May 1, 2021 5:52 PM

And fried air has very few calories.

by Anonymousreply 9May 1, 2021 6:01 PM

Why is it called a fryer? Sounds like it’s an oven. I think of a fryer as the thing they put French fries into.

by Anonymousreply 10May 1, 2021 6:04 PM

R10 It's for marketing purposes and to appeal to a public that loves fried food. It's really just a convection oven blowing very hot air on food in a very small space.

by Anonymousreply 11May 1, 2021 6:29 PM

What kind of oil works best witb it?

by Anonymousreply 12May 1, 2021 8:01 PM

10w30, Rose

by Anonymousreply 13May 1, 2021 8:16 PM

I bought one about 2 years ago. It has sat on the countertop unused, glaring reproachfully at me ever since.

by Anonymousreply 14May 1, 2021 8:20 PM

I bought the cheapest one I can find off Amazon recently - now I know why it's so cheap. Anway, I probably will get maybe another month or so from it. In fairness, the fried chicken and crispy pork belly are not bad.

by Anonymousreply 15May 1, 2021 8:22 PM

Everyone needs one.

by Anonymousreply 16May 1, 2021 8:34 PM

I'm on about my 3rd, I currently have this one. It's really good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 1, 2021 8:38 PM

Do I need one if I have a pressure cooker? Are they essentially the same thing? I was under the impression it fried things without oil.

by Anonymousreply 18May 1, 2021 8:40 PM

I second R17. I have the Ninja 5 in 1 also and use it almost daily. It's the best one I've had due to grill feature and larger basket. Most models have baskets which are too small. I've made chicken wings in it several times and they're better than any I've tried in restaurants. Just unbelievable. 😍

by Anonymousreply 19May 1, 2021 8:44 PM

They're fabulous for vegetables. Asparagus, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, artichokes... you name it and they're awesome.

by Anonymousreply 20May 1, 2021 8:45 PM

I followed the direction of running it a few times before using it but the food always tasted like plastic.

by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2021 8:47 PM

Here you go, R6

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 1, 2021 8:49 PM

It’s a waste unless you love fried crispy food and need to eat it daily.

by Anonymousreply 23May 1, 2021 8:56 PM

R23 it's not fried. That's the whole point.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2021 11:25 PM

I got mine specifically for rotisserie chicken, and it works really well for that. It's also been good for frozen tater tots, which tend to get soggy in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2021 11:35 PM

They are great for reheating takeout food since they give you cold fries most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2021 11:35 PM

No way OP, who has been on this site a while, is hearing about them for the first time now. There have been MANY threads on them over the years

Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2021 11:37 PM

Let's all berate the OP for what he wrote in his post! What fun.

I've debated about getting one. I might just order the one R17 recommends and get going.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2021 11:51 PM

R27 - considering the average age of a DL-er, I would say it's normal to forget even if you discuss it a million times.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2021 11:52 PM

Great to reheat pizza. Makes great chicken wings. Bacon comes out perfect. You CAN send them through the dishwasher , I was hand washing for two years before I realized that.

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2021 11:55 PM

I have a convection toaster oven. I also have an air fryer lid for my pressure cooker. Do I really need an airfryer oven?

by Anonymousreply 31May 4, 2021 1:24 AM

I used it a lot at the beginning, not so much now. But it IS great for desserts as some others on here have mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 32May 4, 2021 1:30 AM

It doesn’t make a lot of sense if you have a convection oven, unless you really like the conveniences of a small oven like faster preheating, easier cleaning, and portability.

by Anonymousreply 33May 4, 2021 1:30 AM

I've been hearing about these things for years...very popular with the back East relatives and i just mainly ignored it. But then when i went back to NY last October and R30 is correct. Re-heated leftover pizza tastes like it was freshly delivered...crust gets a little crispy, everything melts nicely. i was pretty amazed at the stuff that came out of air fryer. i will be buying one but not until i move.

by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2021 1:37 AM

Anyone heard of this newfangled device called a microwave oven?!

by Anonymousreply 35May 9, 2021 3:15 PM

Fat whores rejoice

by Anonymousreply 36May 9, 2021 3:21 PM

If you are going to deep fry, then deep fry . Don't be half-assed about food preparation.

Do they also use Stevia in their cookies?

by Anonymousreply 37May 9, 2021 3:29 PM

My mother still her crock pot, a rage in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 38May 9, 2021 3:53 PM

[quote] My mother still her crock pot.

My Mother the Crock Pot, coming this fall to NBC.

by Anonymousreply 39May 9, 2021 4:09 PM

I got an airfryer to supposedly make low-calorie French fries. They're disgustingly dry and tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 40May 9, 2021 4:20 PM

Ours is in the pile for donation, the edginess quickly wore off and it's too much trouble to clean and get it out. And it doesn't taste like it was fried, only frying does. It's just a tabletop convection oven and we have a microwave convection combo already.

by Anonymousreply 41May 9, 2021 4:30 PM

Mini ovens have existed forever

by Anonymousreply 42May 9, 2021 4:35 PM

Just dump everything in one pot and stick it in the oven.

Viola!

by Anonymousreply 43May 9, 2021 4:39 PM

R43 Viola!

by Anonymousreply 44May 9, 2021 4:42 PM

I am now seeing ovens advertised with hot air fryer settings built in. Isn't this just a convection oven?

by Anonymousreply 45May 9, 2021 6:08 PM

Just stick dump everything into one pot and hit "cook".

by Anonymousreply 46May 11, 2021 3:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!