Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where Are You Guys Posting From?

Philadelphia, here.

Do you like where you live? Would you like to move?

by Anonymousreply 177May 3, 2021 5:22 PM

Philly is the worst: Southern summers, Northern winters.

I'd rather be in Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 1May 1, 2021 11:49 AM

DC. I just moved to Logan Circle from U St. I know big move. I like this neighborhood much better.

by Anonymousreply 2May 1, 2021 11:50 AM

Nova Scotia, Canada. The weather can be a bitch, but I love this place. My paternal ancestors came here in the late 1700s from Connecticut. It's generally laid back and quiet, lots of opportunities for nature walks and hiking, plus swimming. (I'm on the coast.)

by Anonymousreply 3May 1, 2021 12:06 PM

The HEART of Holland Park, London

by Anonymousreply 4May 1, 2021 12:11 PM

Tampa. My husband said our realtor mentioned 1000 people moving here every month, they even built a brand new luxury office and residential “Midtown” that will be finished in October similar to the Hudson Yards complex in NYC, although smaller.

Love the weather right now.

by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2021 12:15 PM

Northern NJ. Love it here. Great little towns, close proximity to beautiful open spaces, great food, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6May 1, 2021 12:17 PM

"From whence dost thou posteth?"

(Subject line fixed)

by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2021 12:21 PM

R1- I ASSUME you mean HOT summers COLD winters.

by Anonymousreply 8May 1, 2021 12:22 PM

No, I meant that Philly has a summer that is basically like the South. But its winter is very, very different.

by Anonymousreply 9May 1, 2021 12:37 PM

[quote] I'd rather be in Atlanta.

No you wouldn't. Boring and humid as hell.

by Anonymousreply 10May 1, 2021 12:44 PM

Cape Cod. I'd like to move back to NYC. I think.

by Anonymousreply 11May 1, 2021 12:58 PM

My laptop located on my dining room table.

by Anonymousreply 12May 1, 2021 1:03 PM

(Long-winded passage)

I've been in the Boston area since 1978, including college starting in 1978.

Yes, expensive rents and homes here, thus I live simply in an efficiency rental, but save on no need for a car, as the subway is a two-minute walk here in an adjacent city, which gets me to Boston Common in less than 20 minutes. Sure there's crime, but most of the city is relatively safe; crimewise, it ain't no Philly, Baltimore, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit. And Boston is usually first or near in education, pro sports culture and healthcare in America and beyond, for those maybe not familiar in other countries. So the high cost of living is somewhat tempered.

Some or many native and locals here (and some visitors) feel it's the best city in America, if not the world! Of course, some natives and visitors don't like it. Some locals and visitors think it's too parochial and overrated.

Spent my adolescent years outside of Philadelphia in south Jersey. Born in St. Paul, Minnesota, left the area after kindergarten then off to a couple of other states before the Philadelphia area for grade 6, then over the Delaware River to south Jersey for grades 7-12.

Oh, Philadelphia had a snowstorm this year but the past two or three years saw scent snowfall. It doesn't get too cold for too long. Neither does Boston, believe it or not.

So unlike a poster who just mentioned Philly's bad winters, it's been rather moderate and usually little snow.

I'm very comfortable here near Boston after all of these years, though I'd like to maybe live in other places for retirement, or before retirement, then return to the Boston area. Have been researching places for over 20 years, so know more than the average American about the country. I'll need to work until 67, in some grocery job, Uber driver or similar, unlike seemingly many here who have money and retire early.

Boston does NOT get as much snow as most outsiders think, at least not since my arrival in 1978. Yes, a record of 108 inches of snow in 2016 or so, but it happened within six weeks, after Christmas, which made it worse and it stayed unusually cold during. December had no snow. Average seasonal snowfall is "only" about 43 inches. It's very hard to get snow for Christmas or even the week leading to it; yes, we usually get some snow in November and December, but it usually melts due to warm temps and rain. Highs are 45-70 occasionally throughout parts of most winters. Most New Year's Eves have no snow but can be very cold overnight or just moderate cold. No, we don't have a foot or two or three of snow on the ground at one time most winters. Most years we never even get a single storm of 15 inches. Even 10 inch snowstorms are a big deal for us nowadays. Most if the winter has bare ground! It rarely gets below15-20 at night downtown but yes, the windchill can be brutal due to whipping winds. We so rarely hit zero or below zero at night. Not most years! And certainly not in the daytime. The coldest months average 37 for a high. That's relatively mild, at least to me!

Thinking about relocating to Palm Springs, Chicago, Colorado Springs, Denver, Ft. Collins, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater (never been but have researched it in recent years), maybe Sarasota just over an hour south of the Tampa Bay area. Maybe even Cleveland due to lower cost of living and good culture, a city supposedly on the rise. Yes, I'm aware of the civil unrest and deterioration of Seattle, Portland and Minneapolis. But I still liked those places when I visited a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 13May 1, 2021 1:05 PM

Dallas. Live exactly where I want.

by Anonymousreply 14May 1, 2021 1:38 PM

From my phone and hand currently deep inside some dude’s asshole.

by Anonymousreply 15May 1, 2021 1:52 PM

Beautiful sunny day in ATL. It's 64 now but will go up to 80 by 3 PM. I'm staying put.

by Anonymousreply 16May 1, 2021 1:55 PM

R5, I'm moving to one of those complexes down here in a few days. Rental office has been like Grand Central Station signing up residents. It's hot, but I'll take that over a yukky Northern winter. Folks here are very polite, helpful, friendly, etc. Not at all the FL stereotype so beloved by DL posters.

by Anonymousreply 17May 1, 2021 2:20 PM

Eastern LA County. It's OK except for the summer heat and the traffic. I'm retired and could move anywhere. Now that traveling seems less of an option, maybe I'll try the central coast of CA.

by Anonymousreply 18May 1, 2021 2:30 PM

Philly - Southern summers and northern winters!? WTF are you talking about? As someone who has lived in Boston and Atlanta - and Philly, that is just blatantly wrong. Much milder winters than New England and much nicer summers than the South. A few days of high temps and humidity in the summer but not nearly as bad as DC - never mind Atlanta or Houston. In New England the winter starts in October and goes to April - 2 months longer than Philly. There may be reasons to dislike Philly - but the weather is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 19May 1, 2021 2:50 PM

I've always maintained if I HAD to mover to FL (feet-to-the-fire type situation), I'd move to the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete area. I've visited the area several times (many years ago) and have found it quite agreeable.

by Anonymousreply 20May 1, 2021 2:50 PM

[quote] Philly is the worst: Southern summers, Northern winters.

Same thing in NYC. It's called East Coast summer.

by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2021 2:52 PM

R21- I'm from the NYC area. They are called HOT HUMID summers and COLD winters.

by Anonymousreply 22May 1, 2021 2:58 PM

Born and raised Bostonian. I live less than 2 miles from where I was born. I will die less than 2 miles from where I was born. I’ve traveled, I’m reasonably sophisticated, I’m technically a “townie” but I’m educated, informed, cosmopolitan, and can pronounce my R’s. I live 5 minutes from the subway in an expensive, gentrified neighborhood that was once the most affordable in Boston. I own my 2-family house which has appreciated in value over 20 years by $600k (now worth $930k) and my best friend is my tenant so I’m going nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 23May 1, 2021 3:03 PM

Ok, R21. My point was a lot of the East Coast is hot and humid in summer. You have to go to Maine or Cape Cod to get away from it

by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2021 3:04 PM

For R7:

Where are you guys posting from, ASSHOLE?!?

by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2021 3:08 PM

I believe this is correct, but if I am wrong, I apologize...

R7 Properly, it should be "From whence dost thou post?"

If you are answering for yourself, the reply would be "I post from..."

However, if you are answering concerning another poster, you would say, "He posteth from..."

I have taken way too many Shakespearean courses.

by Anonymousreply 26May 1, 2021 3:37 PM

NYC. I love it here.

by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2021 3:42 PM

Palm Springs. We moved from NYC at the beginning of the year and really like it so far. I thought I would miss living in NYC. I don't. Maybe some day I will. I don't know that PS will be forever. I haven't had a summer here yet.

As someone who has only lived in big cities, living in a tiny city has some really nice advantages. Traffic is minimal. There are 3 drive ins, easy access to culture once things open back up, amazing hiking and outdoor activities, four roading in box canyons, access to beautiful mountain towns. I can literally walk to the airport from home yet somehow I rarely hear planes unless a military exercise is taking place. Grocery shopping is a breeze and there are many outdoor restaurants.

Are there as many options as NYC? Obviously not. But not stepping around human feces, trash, dealing with the subway, basement laundry, vermin, overpriced everything, the trade offs are fine with me.

If and when real life returns I travel 50% of the time and will be in NYC as a visitor at least 8 times a year on my company's dime. So far this feels like it will be the best of both worlds.

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2021 3:43 PM

[quote]There are 3 drive ins

Where?

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2021 3:58 PM

[quote]four roading

What does this mean?

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2021 3:59 PM

Portland, OR, aka "Hooverville 2021."

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2021 4:01 PM

Shady Pines Lot 2564C in Tampa FL

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2021 4:18 PM

Decatur, GA - love it here.

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2021 4:22 PM

R33...ooh, I used to live in Decatur, GA (but not in the really nice part).

by Anonymousreply 34May 1, 2021 4:24 PM

R28 - I'm also typing from Palm Springs. It's going to be a beautiful day today.

I'm not sure of the drive-ins you're talking about - although they did create a makeshift drive-in at Camelot theaters and also at the Mary Pickford in Cathedral City. Don't expect those to last long - Camelot is back open, I just went to see a film there last night.

I've been holed up here at our house for the pandemic, but am looking forward to getting back to SoCal coast for the summer. I fucking hate the summers here when cooler temps are available close by.

by Anonymousreply 35May 1, 2021 4:34 PM

Seattle, and I love everything about it. I hope I can afford to stay.

by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2021 4:46 PM

Des Moines, it’s alright… I guess 🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2021 4:48 PM

Columbia County, NY. Reasonable real estate prices and a mix of locals and NYC transplants/weekenders. Fantastic place.

by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2021 5:07 PM

Houston....getting hot and the big assed palmetto bugs are already creeping in a night judging by the carcasses my cat leaves on the floor. I'd love to move to the Hill Country or around Terlingua but it's gotten too expensive. I'll probably inherit my mother's place in a small town between here and Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2021 5:09 PM

Southwest Wisconsin. I really like it, I've lived near this area my entire life and have visited the area dozens and dozens of times. Finally decided to move here. Am in the "driftless" area, which basically means an area in the midwest that was not flattened by glaciers. Very hilly and gorgeous. There is so much to do here. Beautiful state parks, music fests (indoor & outdoor) all during the summer & fall. Many local events; lots of towns have a "festival" or two based on what their town is known for (apples, other food products, CHEESE, beer, local legends etc etc) many interesting shops in these small towns. Also plenty of weird things to see. Roadside stuff, weird creepy places, a fair amount of "outsider" art installations (Dr. Evermor's "Forevertron" is about 40 minutes from me). Camping & cabins everywhere. Lots of paranormal, UFO, & cryptid stuff up here too. Love it. The House on the Rock, Wisconsin Dells, other "legacy" places that have been around for decades, better or worse. The Don Q Inn and their "fantasuites" and airplane suite (yes there's an airplane parked in front of the hotel). You can spend hours in some of the antique & flea markets. The FAST company fiberglass mold graveyard is on my list for this summer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 1, 2021 5:34 PM

R29 the drive ins in Palm Springs/desert cities are: El Toro Flicks, Mary Pickford Drive in Experience and the Cultural Center has a drive in as well. Movies are a mix of old and new.

R30 Four Roading - maybe this is only a term my family and people where I grew up use - it's going in a four wheel drive vehicle (Jeep, etc.) to go on dirt roads that regular vehicles can't, or at least, should not. I think most people call it off-roading (pos vs. soda).

by Anonymousreply 41May 1, 2021 5:40 PM

R41 - well, they are temporary drive-in's, not like real drive-ins. But that's the pandemic for you. (Note - there was an actual drive-in theater on the corner of Ramon and Crossley - right across from the Walmart. You can still see the concrete and some of the remnants there - but it closed many years ago.)

There is a lot of off-roading, ATVs in the desert. You see more RVs and ATVs being pulled on I-10 than almost anywhere in the nation. It's really unbelievable how many people take advantage of the nature in SoCal.

by Anonymousreply 42May 1, 2021 5:46 PM

Sextron

by Anonymousreply 43May 1, 2021 5:49 PM

Savannah, GA

by Anonymousreply 44May 1, 2021 5:55 PM

Bay Area/Northern CA here. Beautiful day today but we’re worried about likely upcoming Fire season.

by Anonymousreply 45May 1, 2021 5:55 PM

Berkeley, CA. Beautiful day here. Having some people over for dinner since March of last year. My partner and I are both fully vaccinated as are out friends. We were planning on eating outside - but may be a bit to cool and windy - so we'll have cocktails outside on the patio and then move in for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 46May 1, 2021 5:59 PM

".getting hot and the big assed palmetto bugs "

Are these also called wood roaches? I was visiting family in Houston a couple of years ago and staying at a small "boutique hotel" in downtown and they had the biggest cockroaches I've ever seen. Disgusting. They charged me $150 a night to share my room with cockroaches. Owner said "it's all part of the experience". WTF?

by Anonymousreply 47May 1, 2021 6:00 PM

San Francisco - the city that everyone on DL loves to hate. But I love it.

by Anonymousreply 48May 1, 2021 6:00 PM

Yep, R47. They go by several names. They live in trees and woodpiles but sneak indoors looking for water or something else. Scary motherfuckers. The worst is if you try and kill one they fly at you or make a horrible crunchy mess.

by Anonymousreply 49May 1, 2021 6:05 PM

Is there anyone in Intercourse, Missouri? Or Climax, Michigan?

by Anonymousreply 50May 1, 2021 6:14 PM

What about Dildo, Newfoundland? Or Titz, Germany?

by Anonymousreply 51May 1, 2021 6:15 PM

Near Intercourse, PA

by Anonymousreply 52May 1, 2021 6:20 PM

Scottsdale Arizona. Really enjoy living here, but with all these newcomers moving in, housing prices are going crazy. As dumb as this sounds, I wish is wasn’t so sunny year round. In the summer we do get the monsoon rains which varies things. But as far as weather goes it’s 6 months pleasant, 2 months bearable and 4 months hot. If you love the outdoors this is a nice place to visit. Don’t move here. We’ve got enough residents…..

by Anonymousreply 53May 1, 2021 6:21 PM

Tampa seems dreadful but heard good things about St. Pete..either ways its Florida

by Anonymousreply 54May 1, 2021 6:25 PM

R36

I just escaped from the dreary hell hole that was Seattle - felt like being trapped in a Mad Max dystopian environment.

by Anonymousreply 55May 1, 2021 6:25 PM

Islamorada, Florida. I'm here for work for the next 16 weeks. It's hot.

by Anonymousreply 56May 1, 2021 6:27 PM

R7,

Oh, dear!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 1, 2021 6:29 PM

Me

by Anonymousreply 58May 1, 2021 6:31 PM

Today, I'm posting from Argentina. so I can watch some episodes of "100 días para enamorarse" with Paul and Fidel to compare this version to Telemundo's version airing on Peacock where the couple is called Pablo and Fer. This evening I plan to be in Wales to catch up with Iolo and Tyler.

by Anonymousreply 59May 1, 2021 6:34 PM

r58 And now that you're there, do you understand why you never went there before?

by Anonymousreply 60May 1, 2021 6:34 PM

Pittsboro, NC

by Anonymousreply 61May 1, 2021 6:35 PM

R35 how bad are the summers? Today we're going to the high desert for the day to hike because it's like 15 degrees cooler. I just booked two long-ish stays in nearby mountain towns. I'm sure we'll go to LA a lot too - lots of friends there.

by Anonymousreply 62May 1, 2021 6:37 PM

R53 Tucson here!

What is going on, seriously!? Housing prices are insane. And there are no jobs here. For as much shit that AZ gets for (insert reason here) it seems like people can’t get enough. I’m seeing some listings here for $400+ sq/ft.

That shouldn’t be a thing in Tucson.

I’m looking forward to a correction.

by Anonymousreply 63May 1, 2021 6:42 PM

R28- I hope you enjoy 115 degrees EVERDAY by July.

by Anonymousreply 64May 1, 2021 6:48 PM

I’m a tapeworm and I live inside your colon

by Anonymousreply 65May 1, 2021 6:54 PM

Bluetooth?

by Anonymousreply 66May 1, 2021 6:57 PM

It seems like every housing market in the country is insane. Even small towns. I’m guessing a lot of it is the millenial boomers. They stayed in cities as long as they could - then all decided at the same time to move to suburbs and smaller towns. Seems like AZ is particularly susceptible to bubbles though.

by Anonymousreply 67May 1, 2021 7:03 PM

Small town in the south-eastern part of Norway. Boring, but safe, which is something, I guess. Do not like the long winters and short summers, would like to move some place warmer.

by Anonymousreply 68May 1, 2021 7:06 PM

R67 This could be true. Also, inventory is extremely low as well.

I know it isn't first-time buyers because this market (at least in Tucson) requires all cash offers over asking and most seem to go pending within a few hours of listing. I am getting the feeling that a certain percentage of these homes aren't even appraising which completely eliminates the Millennial buyer (in most cases).

Do you think a lot of these purchases could be investment firms? They could be snatching up a large percentage of the available low housing supply at asking or above continuing a strangely inflated market. I had a friend make a cash offer on a house this month (that wouldn't appraise if he had needed financing) and it had been purchased 2 weeks earlier by an investment firm seeking to get ~$100,000+ out of the sale. No improvements had been made.

by Anonymousreply 69May 1, 2021 7:15 PM

I wasn't expecting so much pollution, r60.

by Anonymousreply 70May 1, 2021 7:15 PM

Norway

by Anonymousreply 71May 1, 2021 7:36 PM

I'm posting from Kailua Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. We live in a beautiful home at the 1100' elevation on Mauna Loa. Grew up on Cape Cod, went to college in Worcester, MA, and then moved to NYC to go to graduate school. Fourty-five years later, decided to "retire" so the husband and I downscaled to a condo in Oahu. After three years, decided that we needed more space. Our broker suggested that we consider the Big Island, because of more bang for the buck and also because it was (in his mind) more like the 'real' Hawaii. Absolutely love it here!

by Anonymousreply 72May 1, 2021 7:51 PM

R57, it if was good enough for Shakespeare, Hobbes and Emerson it's good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 73May 1, 2021 7:56 PM

Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 74May 1, 2021 8:02 PM

R62 - R35 here. Last summer was not fun. We had an excessively hot summer and were locked down for COVID with nothing to do. Lot of daily heat records were broken or tied and we had the longest string of 100+ degree days on record. I hope we don't have another one of those summers.

Some people like it - our neighbors next door are from NYC and they didn't think it was that bad. Neither did my neighbors from SF. I hated it - but then again, I wasn't working, COVID gave us no options for entertainment (movies, theater, etc.) and I was also concerned about my mom who also lives in Palm Springs and was stuck in her place. Maybe I was in a bad mental place as there just wasn't any good news about anything and seeing daily record highs were just a punch in the gut every time.

Mornings are fine and so are the evenings once the sun goes behind the mountain - actually you'll find the summer evenings to be magical, even at 100 degrees. But from noon to 6:30pm, it sucks. On the plus side, it's relatively easy to escape the heat for the day in the mountains (45-60 mins to Idyllwild or Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead) or to go to the beach (1hr40 min to Oceanside). I don't recommend battling traffic to go to LA beaches - it's not worth it. Having a pool is a godsend - you really won't feel the heat much if you have a pool to dip into.

It is very dry, so you don't really sweat or anything. But hot is hot and anywhere in the sun is brutal. It's the price you pay - you are in the desert after all. Florida summers are fucking awful as well. I guess at least it isn't humid, rainy, and buggy like Florida.

You may enjoy it for awhile - I did my first summer. But by end of July / early August, it gets old. Then last year September was really hot still as well.

I took many road trips with my mom to escape the heat. I'd advise visiting friends in August or planning some getaway if you can.

by Anonymousreply 75May 1, 2021 9:02 PM

Colombier, St. Barthelemy, French West Indies

by Anonymousreply 76May 1, 2021 10:09 PM

Berlin, getting fed up with the North-European climate.

by Anonymousreply 77May 1, 2021 10:18 PM

Another Philly DLer.

by Anonymousreply 78May 1, 2021 10:28 PM

Mar-a-Lago

by Anonymousreply 79May 1, 2021 11:17 PM

^senator graham?

by Anonymousreply 80May 1, 2021 11:18 PM

Seattle baby :-)

by Anonymousreply 81May 2, 2021 12:29 AM

San Francisco - Moved two years ago and don't like it at all. It is cold most of the time, rents are exorbitant for just really bad-looking apartments, the beaches are cold, too many techies, and the rest of the bay to me is just dry desert and blah. I want to move to Ft. Lauderdale as I have friends there, I love warmer weather and less expensive. Also, SoCal seems a better option than SF.

by Anonymousreply 82May 2, 2021 12:36 AM

San Francisco. Have lived here all of my adult life (grew up in the East Bay). I've been fortunate to have visited 33 countries. Fantasized about living in five of them, but not practical and always appreciate returning to SF.

Am approaching retirement and already have mobility issues. While I love the city and have relatives and extended family here, I can no longer take walking up the hills and the treacherous stairs up to my house --especially while carrying groceries. And the wind. And foggy, freezing summers.

Have been in a long-distance relationship for two years. We plan to retire together soon. My partner lives near Boston on the North Shore. While I love it there, (for visiting) my partner is done with shoveling his car out of the snow. Even small amounts. He was here for the last two weeks. We drove down to West LA, then to Palm Springs which was utter hell, to look at potential retirement properties (the market seems suddenly COVID inflated) , then drove back to SF, which was also utter hell. Next time we'll fly and rent a car, like I did the first time I visited a few years ago, pre-COVID. Don't think I could stay there in summer, even with a pool.

It's hard to imagine selling my home of 30 years; it's home. But it's hard getting old here. Would love to live in a house with a pool, as swimming is the only exercise I can do now.

For now, I'll still be posting from San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 83May 2, 2021 12:41 AM

Chicago, Old Town. We are trying to figure out our next move. I’m advocating for either Southern France or Spain. But we’ll probably end up in the Fort Lauderdale area. That would bum me out.

by Anonymousreply 84May 2, 2021 1:17 AM

Posting from the Upper Midwest. My dream after retiring is to be a 'snowbird' to get away from the cold winters

by Anonymousreply 85May 2, 2021 1:35 AM

Houston

by Anonymousreply 86May 2, 2021 1:39 AM

Kansas City in the Country Club District, Its quite lovely here right now!

by Anonymousreply 87May 2, 2021 1:47 AM

You guys are bunch of wimps with the winter

by Anonymousreply 88May 2, 2021 2:03 AM

Does anyone living in a small town want to post? Everyone seems to live in nyc san fran or la. Or palm springs

by Anonymousreply 89May 2, 2021 2:15 AM

Another Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 90May 2, 2021 3:25 AM

Are there any tasteful friends near the real estate mecca of Coeur d’Alene, Idaho?

by Anonymousreply 91May 2, 2021 3:27 AM

Another Philly poster here, but I’m getting out. The pandemic has been tough on this town, exposing what has always been great levels of poverty, violence and now despair.

Is Fort Lauderdale is the only refuge for old DLers?

by Anonymousreply 92May 2, 2021 3:28 AM

Bald Knob, Missouri.

But I'd rather be in French Lick, Indiana. If the hotel is fully operating.

by Anonymousreply 93May 2, 2021 3:39 AM

YES R91!!! What do you want to know?

by Anonymousreply 94May 2, 2021 4:21 AM

I was in French Lick and the big hotel had god awful food with surrounding dilapidated town!

by Anonymousreply 95May 2, 2021 4:27 AM

R94 is it worth the hype? Would a Midwestern tourist find enjoyment there?

by Anonymousreply 96May 2, 2021 4:27 AM

Seattle now... rainy season (6 mos) Sedona, Palm Springs n Vegas

by Anonymousreply 97May 2, 2021 4:28 AM

R92 I hear Venice, FL is very nice.

by Anonymousreply 98May 2, 2021 5:01 AM

Geneve, Suisse

by Anonymousreply 99May 2, 2021 6:07 AM

Quiet desperation..

by Anonymousreply 100May 2, 2021 6:24 AM

Bed.

by Anonymousreply 101May 2, 2021 6:27 AM

San Jose, love it, not going anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 102May 2, 2021 6:28 AM

Vladivostok. Vodlka nice

by Anonymousreply 103May 2, 2021 6:28 AM

Pennsyl-tucky here, dead center of the state. 3 hours from Pittsburgh, 3 hours from Philly. State College isn't far, which is a spot of blue in a sea of red. I've grown not to mind it here, it's great if you love the outdoors which I do. The boyfriend and I are in a quasi-long distance relationship, and are debating where to end up. He has family here. I'd like to stay rural or at least someplace with good outdoors opportunities, but maybe a little less conservative.

by Anonymousreply 104May 2, 2021 6:31 AM

I'm in an older suburb of Cincinnati. My house is paid for, and I like my neighbors (for the most part) and the change of seasons, although this year will be a Cicada year. I just retired last year, and I'm still trying to adjust to all the free time. The Pandemic has me wishing (sometimes) that I still had to put in my 40 hrs per week.

by Anonymousreply 105May 2, 2021 6:41 AM

R96 if you like the outdoors it can be great in the summer, the lake is very nice. But idk tbh, I feel anything you can get on the east coast is comparable and the food is better

by Anonymousreply 106May 2, 2021 6:42 AM

Orlando. Hotter than the surface of the sun and the traffic SUCKS. But it's home . . .

by Anonymousreply 107May 2, 2021 6:46 AM

British Columbia, in western Canada . I tried living inland a few times and couldn’t stand it. I really need to see the ocean and trees around me. If I could do it financially, I’d live on a Hawaiian Island. That’s just a dream though. Reality is, I need to stay where I am after finding good doctors and specialists aftr a years long wait. I have a rare health condition. FML.

by Anonymousreply 108May 2, 2021 7:11 AM

New Zealand. Wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 109May 2, 2021 7:14 AM

Bellevue

by Anonymousreply 110May 2, 2021 7:17 AM

Is he from Gabon?

by Anonymousreply 111May 2, 2021 7:20 AM

Your mamma’s house.

by Anonymousreply 112May 2, 2021 8:07 AM

Central New Jersey...not far from Princeton. I like the area, very pretty...a lot of old homes, history and open land by me that is part of a state park...so no buildings or homes. Lots of nature. It feels like being in a rural country area, but not far from great towns (Princeton, Hopewell, Pennington), major highways..easy access to NYC and Philly and trains. My biggest complaint is living in a townhouse in a condo development. It feels like a fishbowl and would rather live in a stand alone home...with a fence and yard of my own...privacy. Unfortunately, I can't afford that in this area.

by Anonymousreply 113May 2, 2021 8:57 AM

[quote]San Jose, love it, not going anywhere!

California or Costa Rica?

by Anonymousreply 114May 2, 2021 3:35 PM

Normally, Toronto. But we've been "COVID refugees" in rural Nova Scotia since October.

by Anonymousreply 115May 2, 2021 3:42 PM

Chicago, Back of the Yards. It was 88°yesterday, and already it felt too hot. Winters can be a bit harsh but better than the summer humidity.

by Anonymousreply 116May 2, 2021 3:47 PM

The South of France on a beach in a Speedo.

by Anonymousreply 117May 2, 2021 4:21 PM

I just hiked 1/2 a mile naked at my place. Also weed-eatered (?) in the buff earlier.

by Anonymousreply 118May 2, 2021 4:28 PM

I live in the lovely, celebrity packed and very expensive Los Angeles neighborhood of Los Feliz. Angelina’s compound is less than two minutes away, Brad’s further down. Madonna at one time was just around the corner. I grew up in the area, and moved to my current apartment years ago. Luckily, my building is rent controlled, so the same units as mine are now renting for twice of what I am currently paying . It is a super bargain, but it is also a it never motivated me to move and experience living in other parts of Los Angeles,. but in reality for how expensive LA housing is, I’m not complaining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 2, 2021 6:56 PM

by Anonymousreply 120May 2, 2021 8:01 PM

R119 Brad Pitt and Jolie live within walking distance of each other? Wow. I wonder how often he visits his kids when they live that close. I read some of them avoid seeing him.

by Anonymousreply 121May 2, 2021 8:12 PM

r121 Honey, no one walks in LA.

by Anonymousreply 122May 2, 2021 9:41 PM

Another Palm Springian. Lovely today but blustery. I've lived here for 25 years (moving from Seattle) and the place has really changed for the better.

by Anonymousreply 123May 2, 2021 10:27 PM

My VPN has my ISP in London, but my person is located in Ohio- the heart of it all.

by Anonymousreply 124May 2, 2021 10:39 PM

West Hollywood, just north of Melrose place, just east of La Cienega, just south of the world.

by Anonymousreply 125May 2, 2021 10:43 PM

Even Fresno is more interesting than San Jose, CA.

by Anonymousreply 126May 2, 2021 11:08 PM

Brickell Key in Miami... any other DL’ers on Brickell Key or nearby on Brickell Avenue?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 2, 2021 11:15 PM

To (R-1) Hello, Phillywhore here!! What part of Philly u posting from? When I'm in Philly, posting from Logan Square(off 22nd-Arch Sts).

by Anonymousreply 128May 2, 2021 11:17 PM

Irving Place, just off Gramercy Park in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 129May 2, 2021 11:23 PM

Krakoa. It's nice but pretty freaky in some ways, and half of our community leaders are psychopaths.

by Anonymousreply 130May 2, 2021 11:46 PM

San Diego here

by Anonymousreply 131May 2, 2021 11:49 PM

Just outside D.C. I’ve lived other places (NY, MD, DE, NC, CA, OR) but keep returning here. However, my neighborhood has become increasingly dense in the past 7 years with new construction, restaurants and retail. Homeless and panhandlers have started gravitating to the neighborhood and in the morning one must in dodge human poop on the sidewalks.

by Anonymousreply 132May 3, 2021 12:21 AM

Sounds a lot like the area I recently left in Seattle, R132.

by Anonymousreply 133May 3, 2021 12:22 AM

I am starting to consider other areas, R133. I always read these threads for ideas.

by Anonymousreply 134May 3, 2021 12:29 AM

R119 does Gwen Stefani still live in that big gorgeous house in Los Feliz?

by Anonymousreply 135May 3, 2021 12:55 AM

Los Angeles; work as an entertainment reporter.

by Anonymousreply 136May 3, 2021 1:45 AM

R121, Angelina lives in a gated community within Los Feliz, called Laughlin Park. I read somewhere that is is the first gated community every built in the U.S., but don’t quote on that.

“Throughout the ages, Cecil B. DeMille, WC Fields, Natalie Portman, and Kristen Stewart have all called Laughlin Park home. The gated community between Los Feliz Boulevard and Franklin Avenue is also where you'll find the oldest house in Los Feliz. There are only about 60 properties in the 'hood.”

Angelina lives in the biggest house there. Brad lives just due west, yes walking distance. But as r120 said, no walks in LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137May 3, 2021 2:03 AM

I fucked Brad Pitt off the coast of Malibu in his ASS one whole summer. Multiple years and locations in his ASS.

by Anonymousreply 138May 3, 2021 2:06 AM

Philly here...actually Delco.

by Anonymousreply 139May 3, 2021 2:13 AM

Usually suburban Phoenix but some times San Francisco and sometimes Texas. Presently from Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 140May 3, 2021 2:25 AM

R127, what’s the vibe there? Looking to retire in Miami and was interested!

by Anonymousreply 141May 3, 2021 2:42 AM

I’m in Denver and visiting Philly this week. Let’s get together.

by Anonymousreply 142May 3, 2021 2:51 AM

[quote]My VPN has my ISP in London, but my person is located in Ohio- the heart of it all.

But where is your VPL?

by Anonymousreply 143May 3, 2021 2:56 AM

Greetings from Norman, Oklahoma. The only city in Oklahoma that went all blue for Biden. An oasis of blue in a blood red shithole state.

by Anonymousreply 144May 3, 2021 3:02 AM

Inside the house.

by Anonymousreply 145May 3, 2021 3:05 AM

R144: Are you at OU? My parents met at OU, married there, and spent a few years there before they moved to Seminole, where I was born. I'm an ElderGay/ElD'r

by Anonymousreply 146May 3, 2021 4:20 AM

R114, oops, San Jose ca, I forgot there’s another sj!

by Anonymousreply 147May 3, 2021 7:15 AM

South Philly. Yo!!! Lived here all my life, except when I was in the military, though I did live in CC for many years with my partner/husband. Will spend the rest of my years where I currently reside, my childhood home.

Seems like there's several Philly guys on here, we'll have to do a meet-up, somewhere, maybe for breakfast(Fitzwater Cafe? Broad Street Diner?) or lunch. One o' youse pick it.

by Anonymousreply 148May 3, 2021 8:30 AM

Posting from Cluj, Romania. I was born and raised and will soon return to Woodland Hills in LA, California. I sometimes think I would like to remain in Europe though but I also miss home.

by Anonymousreply 149May 3, 2021 8:37 AM

Charleston SC - Moved here from NJ 7 years ago. Love it!

by Anonymousreply 150May 3, 2021 9:06 AM

Rome, Italy. Here for my partner's job.

by Anonymousreply 151May 3, 2021 9:36 AM

R74 Galway. Where are you?

by Anonymousreply 152May 3, 2021 9:42 AM

150, do you live downtown? I lived in West Ashley for a few years and really enjoyed it. Worked downtown in an old cigar factory that is now home to several small law firms on Church Street and got very tipsy at many an art opening at some of those fabulous little galleries between King Street and East Bay.

by Anonymousreply 153May 3, 2021 9:46 AM

Brooklyn Heights

by Anonymousreply 154May 3, 2021 9:53 AM

Cork, R152.

by Anonymousreply 155May 3, 2021 10:07 AM

R155 - is Ireland opening for tourists? Would love to visit Dublin and Limerick and the Irish countryside.

by Anonymousreply 156May 3, 2021 10:15 AM

I really don't know, R149. I would imagine that the government here would be fairly anxious to get tourists back asap as it's a big revenue stream.

by Anonymousreply 157May 3, 2021 10:19 AM

R155 Possible travel late summer with vaccination passport.

Limerick's a dump. Best thing is the motorway bypassing it. Come West to Galway.

by Anonymousreply 158May 3, 2021 10:36 AM

R155 City or Ballyhouras?

by Anonymousreply 159May 3, 2021 10:37 AM

DC here.

R2 I moved from the U Street area to Kalorama about six years ago and I like it so much better here. The neighborhood is beautiful and it's so quiet—no drunk people out on the streets, no sirens. Low-flying military/WH helicopters fly over a couple times a month and rattle things but that's the only disturbance.

I have extremely mixed feelings about DC. I love my neighborhood aesthetically. I hate the six-month-long summers with tropical wet heat. During Obama and Biden, I feel pretty good about living here. During Trump, I felt acutely in danger a lot of the time, and was ashamed to tell people abroad where I live. DC has a lot of art in museums—what I think of as dead art on display—but no living arts culture aside from some theatre. It's a literate city but mostly in a wonky, newsy way. There's little home for creative expression in this city and there seems to be almost no creative interest or imagination among most people here. I've been here all my life and most of my friends are other local people, who are black (I'm white.), which I know confuses a lot of ambitious social climbers who move here from elsewhere. An SVP I used to work with, who was Dominican, actually used to ask her white co-execs why I would choose to spend time with lower-ranking black people in the office. When someone relayed that to me and others confirmed it, I went to her and told her it's because I respect them more than I respect most people. She was taken aback.

And that's what I dislike most: the people who move here with political ambitions or politically adjacent ambitions and rank everyone according to job status and income, education (both attainment and brand name of universities), who you know and, yes, race. I grew up in Northern Virginia just outside DC, and while it was less diverse than the city itself is, it wasn't self-segregated like DC is. The demographic group with the highest share of the population in DC are black, but the majority of black people who work downtown work in lower-ranking jobs (even though there are lots of black executives, the majority are still white), and there's a glaring segregation among the top-ranking classes and lower-level classes of people that "just happens" to coincide with race and ethnicity, and I find it disturbing and alienating. So that's something I detest about DC.

I like that DC is a big small town or a small city. It doesn't have the high-pressure feel of NYC because it isn't as congested or as large. But DC really is a lot like LA in many ways, just with a different set of industries, and without the creativity. DC is like NYC in some ways, with political assholes substituted for Wall Street assholes, but we don't have the creativity. Most people I encounter are all business, driven, status seeking, always-networking predatory opportunists. And it's too hot. I won't stay here forever.

by Anonymousreply 160May 3, 2021 10:37 AM

From Ballyhouras area, live in Cork City.

My advice to R149 would be the same. Avoid Limerick (unless you have some special reason for going there) and go to Galway.

by Anonymousreply 161May 3, 2021 10:41 AM

R158 I went to Ireland two years ago for the first time. It was kind of a family pilgrimage after my mom passed away. We met a cousin of hers near Ballina and she guided us throughout County Mayo. We began the trip in Doolin and saw the cliffs, Inisheer, drove up the coast to Ballina and then over to Doohoma and Belmullet, where my mom's family came from. We did go to Dublin for a few days but unfortunately didn't make it to Galway.

I found it absolutely magical and enchanting. I didn't expect to love it so much at all. I expected endless rolling green hills. The cliffs, the mountains, the water, puffins! I've never seen anything like it. I felt like I was on another planet at times while driving up the coast with mountains of boulders and orchids on the right and misty silver water to the left with cows on the seashore and mystical mountains faded in the distance. I can't wait to go back. I feel like I could spend days just wandering around the coast.

by Anonymousreply 162May 3, 2021 10:44 AM

My favourite tea is from Cork.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163May 3, 2021 10:47 AM

Thank you R157 and R158 - I would have loved to come during summer but I'll take late summer. My second vax is on the 11th and they are issuing proof of vaccination.

My roommate has Irish and Swedish ancestors on her mom's side so she wants to see Limerick (that's where they were from...but she can go by herself while I am in Dublin because it's probably safe for a woman alone). I have heard about how nice Galway is and she says the nature in Cork in spring is similar to Transylvania...green and magical. I can't wait to go to Dublin and thanks for the advice re Glaway R161 and R162.

Also, some Irishmen are hot and I will be Pfizered....good times.

by Anonymousreply 164May 3, 2021 10:48 AM

R164 Everyone is different, but I have to say that although I am generally a city person, I found Dublin less interesting than most cities and the west coast of Ireland utterly enchanting.

I'm not knocking Dublin, but it didn't compare for me to Ireland's nature. Still, I enjoyed a few things on the east coast:

—I am a sucker for ancient sites like New Grange. It's near Dublin and worth the trip.

—Not far from there, we ate at Skerries, which felt like an upscale coastal resort town.

—In Dublin, we did an Irish folktale night at the Brazen Head pub, which calls itself the oldest pub. My sister had done it before and wanted to do it again. It sounded too touristy to me, but it was really lovely. You eat with people from all around the world (We sat with families from Gibraltar, Italy and Spain.) while people tell faerie stories, sing and play music.

—We kind of randomly went into the Irish American migration museum and it was unexpectedly illuminating. I never really knew the relationship between Ireland and the US is as strong as it is. We also went to a famine exhibit that was heartbreaking and enraging.

Everywhere you go, you'll find that people are unimaginably friendly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165May 3, 2021 10:59 AM

Wow, I sure hope they open. I want the authentic experience and I just showed my roommate this advice and she's Googling Galway and places to stay and eat. There is an Irish pub/restaurant here that is owned by a fellow from Ireland married to a local lady. Pre-pandemic they imported beer and ingredients from Irleand. Great pork dishes, bangers, colcannon, stews and a Guiness steak pie I loved.

by Anonymousreply 166May 3, 2021 12:04 PM

R166 We ate mostly at pubs and I was fascinated to discover that (at least on the west coast, not sure about elsewhere) they all have nearly identical menus: fish and chips, Guinness stew, Irish stew, etc. The food is really, really fresh and delicious, and every single place I tasted fish and chips, the fish was cooked and seasoned differently and all were really yummy.

They also serve a dense and very good brown bread with lots of stuff.

It's so crazy that Irish pub food is so delicious and English pub food...is not poisonous, including the half an unseasoned tomato they serve with it!

by Anonymousreply 167May 3, 2021 12:13 PM

R167 - you are right. I had a six month relationship with an Irish dental student in Toronto. We went to some pubs there and, while not as good as the Irish food here (probably didn't have an Irish cook or imported ingredients due to distance, work permits, etc.) were always good. It was a blissful 6 months of eating, drinking, fucking and weekend trips. Irish lamb stew in one of my favorite dishes.

by Anonymousreply 168May 3, 2021 12:40 PM

It's a soggy day here in Atlanta, but we've been having gorgeous weather for what feels like months.

by Anonymousreply 169May 3, 2021 1:09 PM

Sarasota. FL., here since 2012. Formerly, Atlanta for 25+ years.

by Anonymousreply 170May 3, 2021 1:17 PM

That's interesting R160-- I've always felt like DC is far more segregated than other cities, almost at a Boston or San Francisco level, but having never lived there, just figured I was in the wrong places and was getting an impression based on just a few days.

I've never quite gotten Los Feliz. R137

It's pretty and Griffith Park is right there and it's hipper than the West Side and all, but it's so far from the beach, which always made LA special to me. (I lived there for two years right out of college.) OTOH, Los Feliz is also closer to Hollywood and Burbank, which if you are in the entertainment industry, is key and I guess if you're Angelina Jolie, your neighbors are likely more tolerable than whoever you'd be living near in Bel Air, so there's that.

I am normally in Manhattan on the Upper West Side, but have been out in East Hampton at my parents house with my husband, my brother and his wife for the past year. It's pretty out here, not overly crowded, the food stores and restaurants cater to "city people." I'm dreading the start of summer though as the area, which has been relatively quiet, promises to be overrun with summer renters and the scene they bring with them. Mostly impacting me in terms of traffic and lines at supermarkets, etc.

Surprised how many DLers are from Philly, not surprised how many are from smaller cities and towns around the US

by Anonymousreply 171May 3, 2021 1:33 PM

R171 - Los Feliz is close to so many parts of LA that are unique to the city. Ethnic areas with good food, nice hidden LA treasures. Wish I could take you around when I get back. I am sure you would love it.

by Anonymousreply 172May 3, 2021 1:40 PM

Thanks R166/R172

I appreciate the offer, though I will say I have spent much time in Los Feliz and know it pretty well--have several friends who live there and in Silver Lake/Atwater Village and whenever I am in town I usually spend at least one or two nights in that part of town--we seem to wind up at Mess Hall a lot.

To your point, I suspect that after you live in LA for a while, you come to appreciate the more hidden treasures.

Though I am back there pretty often, I lived there for two years post-college and was still in the beach mindset--I was living (and working) in Santa Monica and spending most of my time there and in Venice which fulfilled my beach fantasy and gave me a good selection of UCLA students and beach/surfer types.

by Anonymousreply 173May 3, 2021 2:00 PM

LaLa land here. Ready for a little travel.

by Anonymousreply 174May 3, 2021 2:02 PM

Delco too. Who knew there were so many DLers. But it is easy access to Philly and the gayborhood. Arguably it’s as accessible to center city/gayborhood as parts of Brooklyn or Queens - or some DC or Boston neighborhoods. 25 minutes by train or car to Woodys or Tabu. Affordable, great historic architecture, midway between NYC and DC and mostly Dem. Not as luxurious or wealthy as Los Feliz perhaps but everything I want as a middle aged gay man.

by Anonymousreply 175May 3, 2021 3:07 PM

Silverlake, another LA neighborhood, aka “Swish Hills” for its large gay population. Although the demographics having been changing rather quickly to rich hipster/yoga mom type families. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 176May 3, 2021 5:13 PM

Video of Angie’s Los Feliz home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177May 3, 2021 5:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!