Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best dog restraints for the car.

I have a medium size dog about 19 pounds. I’m looking for the best set up to keep her safe in the car. I’m most concerned with her hitting the seat in front of her in case of accident or hard breaking. Any recommendations would be great. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2021 3:29 PM

Go to Petsmart and try out the different car harnesses until you find one that works for your rescue dog. They will probably have only one or two. If you don't find one there that you like, try Petco. You can order one online or take recommendations, but unless you try it out on your dog you don't really know if it'll work.

If you don't have a rescue dog, I don't know what to tell you.

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2021 11:25 PM

Hard braking. I had a harness that I could thread the ack seat seatbelt through that worked well for my 45 pound dog. It worked well. I don't recall the brand name, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2021 11:25 PM

I want to know too. I have a pesky Chuihuahua/Jack Russell who is difficult in a car.

by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2021 11:25 PM

We have the Sleepypod for our 30+ lb pooch. Although the harness is only recommended for rear seat use, he's restrained in front. Otherwise, he contorts & escapes to front passenger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2021 11:32 PM

I put a harness on the dog which I attach to a doggy seat belt I bought on Amazon. It has a loop that goes around the head rest of the seat and a stretchy bit where it attaches to the harness. So if you break or get hit, your dog won’t get jerked too badly.

You have to attach it to a harness, and not their collar for the same reason.

My little guy can still put one paw on my arm as I’m driving but not do anything extreme enough to pull the steering wheel and drive us over a cliff (he’s a jack Russell with no common sense).

by Anonymousreply 5April 30, 2021 11:33 PM

The trunk.

by Anonymousreply 6April 30, 2021 11:35 PM

I had a car harness for my pup and she liked it a lot better than her crate. But some dogs might feel more protected in their crate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2021 12:00 AM

R4 does your dog tolerate the harness? Is it difficult to Guide the seatbelt through the back straps and click into place? Is it a no-no to have a dog in the front seat even though they are restrained?

by Anonymousreply 8May 1, 2021 9:03 PM

R6. We knew we could count on you. Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 9May 1, 2021 9:08 PM

It's cheaper if you buy the multipack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 1, 2021 9:17 PM

R8, it is definitely a no-no to have any dog in the front seat. The air bags going off would be bad.

Just look on Amazon. They have seat belt attachments that hook to your dog's harness (always a harness, not the collar, of course, or you'll have a broken neck on your hands, and then it just hooks into the normal seat belt clip.

by Anonymousreply 11May 1, 2021 9:19 PM

Either a Snoozer seat or an Ezywalk harness

by Anonymousreply 12May 1, 2021 9:22 PM

Strap him to the roof!

by Anonymousreply 13May 1, 2021 9:28 PM

The trunk.

by Anonymousreply 14May 1, 2021 9:29 PM

Just get a convertible and drive on many highways. Dogs love that.

by Anonymousreply 15May 1, 2021 9:31 PM

The top.

by Anonymousreply 16May 1, 2021 9:31 PM

Back Bumper

by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2021 1:28 AM

Tupperware.

by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2021 4:56 AM

First, OP, a 19 pound dog is SMALL not medium. You'll need to know that when buying gear.

For car harnesses, SLEEPYPOD brand tends to rate highest and it gets Center for Pet Safety certified thru crash tests. Some brands go thru 3rd party crash test - not via CPS - with the brand Kurgo being one of those that also rates high.

Whatever you get, make sure it's CRASH TESTED using official facilities like CPS does or at the Nat'l Hwy Traff Safety Admin.

The linked video is from 2013 talking about CPS and its testing - with Sleepypod coming out on top. You can probably find something more recent with some quick digging.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 2, 2021 10:46 AM

Does anybody own one of these?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2021 6:33 PM

Looks like it works like a catchers mitt of some sort. Here’s its crash test video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 2, 2021 6:35 PM

Any other suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2021 3:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!