Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Nitty Gritty Dancer -- Bobby Banas

I know it's been on DL before but this is one of those feelgood videos that stands the test of time. I remember the song and everything about it is just so perfect for its time. Anyone out there had him? He's been single since his 1969 divorce. In the video, the guy to his left is pretty amazing too. The guy to his right, meh.

"Featured front and center was a young male dancer, whose dark hair and black button eyes made him an immediate standout, aside from his impeccable rhythm and the fact that he was tearing into it like his last meal. His name turns out to be Bobby Banas, and besides how brilliant he was in that particular performance, before and after that he’d already made featured appearances in such films as West Side Story, The Unsinkable Molly Brown and as one of the chimney sweeps in Mary Poppins, besides being known as the boy who kissed Marilyn Monroe in Let’s Make Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2022 10:19 PM

The girl just kind of flops around. He's like "outta my way girl" and just cuts loose, ignoring her feeble attempts to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2021 8:41 PM

I've seen this before, and I always think he's overdoing it somewhat. He ends up looking messy because he's going so far beyond what the others are doing.

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2021 8:56 PM

Nobody pays attention to the guy in the back (on the right) who's dancing just as good if not better than Bobby.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2021 9:04 PM

This is what happens when you teach white teenagers how to dance Devil Negro music!

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2021 9:07 PM

[quote]This is what happens when you teach white teenagers how to dance Devil Negro music!

Ooh, Papa Tooney -- we got us a looney!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2021 10:36 PM

OP's clip cuts off the best part: after Peter Lawford introduces the number, the podium he, Judy Garland, and Ethel Merman(?) are on starts to move off the stage, nearly toppling the I'm sure already-tipsy stars onto their asses:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2021 10:43 PM

Martha Raye, not Ethel Merman.

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2021 10:46 PM

Are they dancing or having grand mal seizures?

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2021 10:48 PM

What most people miss is that he was the *choreographer* of the dance. Like it or not, he was dancing as the choreographer intended.

He is straight and rather homophobic, though not surprising. He is very small in stature and probably got sexually harassed a lot as a kid and in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2021 10:53 PM

[quote]Martha Raye, not Ethel Merman.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2021 11:08 PM

It surprises me that after the 60s no one has ever covered that song. It's sexy. The tune is catchy. It would haven perfect for a young Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2021 11:28 PM

Isn't he the one who choreographed Travolta in Saturday Night Fever?

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2021 11:56 PM

I've seen this clip many, many times and have started enjoying the woman up front as well. That's she doing all this in heels and, I don't know, the way she holds her gloved hands back by the sides of her head - I think she's really cool. Bobby is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 13April 30, 2021 12:18 AM

"Isn't he the one who choreographed Travolta in Saturday Night Fever?"

That would be ,the sexually harassed by Merv, Deney Terrio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 30, 2021 12:20 PM

the dancers are each doing their own moves, none are sync'd

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2022 7:40 PM

Those male dancers have a lot of GAY energy

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2022 7:42 PM

This guy fucks.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2022 7:44 PM

"Working with Marilyn Monroe was a dream. But to be choreographed to kiss her, at the end of the dance number…oh, I thought my heart would explode. What was so funny was, during the end of the dance number, she grabbed me and Alex by the hair before she was to swing around one of the poles. Well, I had a lot of pomade in my hair, and after grabbing it she flew around the pole and lost her balance. She turned to the director and said, “I think someone has too much grease in his hair.” OOPS! So they sent me to makeup to wash my hair. I returned, and the number began again. Now the end was approaching, and I was supposed to kiss her, so I hit her lips with mine but slid across her face. So I turned to the director and said in a low voice, “I think someone has too much grease on her face.” To which they both laughed. Of course it was sad to learn of her death. I felt the same when I learned about Natalie Wood. Both had unusual circumstances and questionable facts about the truth."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2022 7:50 PM

I love this video.

I was watching sixteen candles yesterday and the scene at the school dance with all the kids in background sucked. None of them could dance worth a squat but it's the same in Pretty in Pink. Even in the 70s people could still dance.

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2022 7:53 PM

I agree the guy on the far right in the back is far more elegant (and is also much better looking). Whether this is what Bobby Banas wanted or not, I enjoy the performance of the other guy more.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2022 7:58 PM

This clip always puts me in a good mood. Had no idea of his other appearances. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2022 8:01 PM

Bobby's okay. But this fine-ass brah named Stephen, kinda ups the game. [Adele just gave Stephen a cameo in her new video, too.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2022 8:09 PM

That jerky platform that held Lawford and Garland was like the physical representation of the zeitgeist pulling them straight back into the past where they belonged.

1964 was the year the youthquake really got started, and things would never be the same after that.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 8:16 PM

A vastly unappreciated gem from the ‘60s.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2022 8:39 PM

Then there's Jessica Lange's take on the Nitty Gritty in AHS: Asylum.

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2022 9:02 PM

[quote]Nobody pays attention to the guy in the back (on the right) who's dancing just as good if not better than Bobby.

r3, not me, I was immediately drawn to his smooth moves and good looks. He also has this adorable double hop at the very end of the number, you can see it on the video at r6. The song is damn catchy too.

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2022 9:54 PM

Who is that guy at R22. Where can I find out more about him. i think I just fell in love.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2022 12:07 AM

Reminds me of this scene from "Hairspray."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2022 12:34 AM

I was just thinking about this, always makes me happy. Thanks for posting OP!

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2022 12:40 AM

Bobby's dancing has to give the impression of looseness and lack of discipline to live up to his scandalously floppy hair.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2022 12:40 AM

Do you think people in the 1920s talked about Virginia Reels that were danced during the early days of the Civil War?

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2022 12:43 AM

You're easily impressed. A cute boy shaking his head around does not constitute great dancing.

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2022 1:29 AM

The guy dancing at R22 is Stephen Sayer and he teaches at the L.A. Jitterbug Swing Dance Academy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2022 1:54 AM

That was fun!

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2022 2:01 AM

Men who can dance are so sexy! Schwingg!

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2022 2:05 AM

R31 No, but starting in the 1930s there was the beginnings of a square dance revival(including reels) that by 1948 had reached the status of a fad.

I wish I had grown up in the 50s, 60s, or 70s when people actually danced. Now guys don't really dance.

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2022 2:19 AM

You want to see gay boys dancing? Most of the males on AB were gay and the stories have been told about how they were using the show as a hookup opportunity and were fucking each other when not on the show.

From newnownext.com:

Sullivan, 74, wrote Diaries with Ray Smith, another dancer who was closeted during his Bandstand years.

“The one thing that really shocked me was that those boys who were 14 and 15 and 16 were sleeping with each other,” Smith told the New York Post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2022 2:25 AM

[quote]the dancers are each doing their own moves, none are sync'd

They're all doing the same basic Nitty Gritty dance moves but they do them in their own way. This thing you see now where all the dancers have to be absolutely synced is something recent and I think it's a little boring to look at.

It's interesting when you think about it, since everyone talks about how the 1950s and early 60s were so conformist, but they didn't make everybody dance in lockstep like now.

by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2022 2:45 AM

John Waters would be SO PROUD!!!

by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2022 2:49 AM

I always thought those program go-go dancers were so dorky in the middle 1960s. Although the ones here, especially the young lady dancing in the foreground, reminds me as possible inspiration for the bratty Amber character in John Waters's 1988 "Hairspray." ;)

by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2022 2:51 AM

R37 - how interesting! I'm glad those guys found each other.

by Anonymousreply 41January 15, 2022 3:02 AM

A lot of the male dancers on Soul Train were gay, too

by Anonymousreply 42January 15, 2022 3:04 AM

Thanks, OP. I somehow missed this whenever it first went viral sometime in the 2010s. For those complaining about his frantic dancing in the original post (a bit silly to complain about that when it was very clearly what he was going for,) you might appreciate this more. He moves beautifully here. Did he also choreograph this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 15, 2022 3:07 AM

R37, that pre-JFK assassination Bandstand was one of the last Bandstand shows that originated in Philadelphia. The show moved to LA in January 1964.

by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2022 4:37 AM

[quote]Then there's Jessica Lange's take on the Nitty Gritty in AHS: Asylum.

She sang The Name Game".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 15, 2022 5:13 AM

All I can see is a bunch of people doing the "Elaine"

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2022 5:33 AM

Banas is overdoing it. But he gets points for daring to be a punk in '64.

The guy on the right is technically better and more pleasing to watch—as one commenter on the YouTube video said, "He does more with less."

by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2022 5:34 AM

R14 Lester Wilson taught John Travolta all he knows about dancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2022 5:44 AM

R45, Lange pulls that off well.

by Anonymousreply 49January 15, 2022 9:25 AM

if "the guy on the right" had been in front, the clip would. never have been remembered.

by Anonymousreply 50January 15, 2022 11:48 AM

Just read a recent interview with Bobby Banas, and he said his Nitty Gritty dance partner is Gina Trikonis, who played Riff's girlfriend Graziella in the West Side Story movie.

by Anonymousreply 51January 16, 2022 1:19 AM

And straight.

Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 52January 16, 2022 1:44 AM

This a a fun contemporary version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 16, 2022 3:11 PM

Hitler youth doing the Nitty Gritty?

by Anonymousreply 54January 16, 2022 3:15 PM

I've watched R22's video about 20 times now. Can't get enough of that guy's moves. And his smile.

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2022 9:47 PM

If you get tired of Prancercise ( who could get tired of its brilliance?), then try this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2022 10:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!