Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hayley Mills has a memoir coming out about growing up in Hollywood

Do you think sis will spill some tea?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246January 13, 2022 4:05 PM

No one here cares about her. I learned that yesterday

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2021 6:43 PM

She apparently didn't get along with Trouble with Angels co star Rosalind Russell and she or her family turned down the part of Lolita in Kubrick's film

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2021 6:44 PM

Dataloungers only care about Divas who wouldn’t give them the time of day and/or crazy bitches.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2021 6:44 PM

"Hayley's wild and glamorous childhood in Hollywood will make Lindsey Lohan's look like a Sunday school picnic."

Chapter 6: Shooting Smack with Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2021 6:48 PM

Did she grow up in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2021 7:37 PM

She's so cute even now

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2021 7:38 PM

She and her sister Juliet are DL Icons

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2021 7:44 PM

Will Hayley reveal if she ever had a threesome with her sister and Maxwell Caulfield?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2021 7:47 PM

Did Walt Disney show her that it's really not such a small world after all?

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2021 7:54 PM

R2, The producer, William Frye, first offered the role of Mother Superior to Greta Garbo for $1,000.000, but she turned him down.

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2021 8:00 PM

J'd adore her! For some strange reason watching The Moon-Spinners has become my annual Christmas tradition, even though it doesn't have anything to do with the holiday.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2021 8:01 PM

Met her and her sister and they are delightful.

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2021 8:07 PM

If you want to see a great movie, Hayley's first adult role was a drama called "The Family Way:. Her real father plays her Dad and I promise., he will break your heart. He should have had another Oscar on the mantle for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2021 8:10 PM

What happened to her twin?

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2021 8:16 PM

The Family Way pops up on TCM every once in a while. Delightful.

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2021 8:16 PM

R13, We see Hayley's bare ass.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2021 8:38 PM

Who can ever forget?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2021 8:41 PM

The Mills sisters look good.

by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2021 9:19 PM

R13 Actually, John Mills plays her father-in law in The Family Way.

by Anonymousreply 19April 30, 2021 4:36 PM

I've always liked her. She was more my parent's generation, but they loved showing me The Parent Trap and Summer Magic and stuff like that. I remember her from Good Morning, Miss Bliss.

It looks like she's mostly stayed away from plastic surgery and is all the better for it. It's refreshing to see someone her age who looks somewhat normal.

by Anonymousreply 20April 30, 2021 4:44 PM

I got to meet her at CHILLER and had "Pollyanna" signed, for which she won a Juvenile Academy Award. I had never seen it but when Disney+ debuted it was on there. I knew it was a huge hit for the time but it really deserves it accolades. It's a totally charming movie and she does give a spectacular performance for a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 30, 2021 6:07 PM

Was she molested?

by Anonymousreply 22April 30, 2021 7:26 PM

She has a very close relationship with her sister and that says a lot about both of them.

by Anonymousreply 23May 1, 2021 1:36 AM

R18 but no one talks about the Mills brothers

by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2021 4:22 AM

Is it true that Nancy Kulp was caught fingering her in a tent during filming of "The Parent Trap"?

by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2021 4:26 AM

[quote] Hayley's wild and glamorous childhood in Hollywood will make Lindsey Lohan's look like a Sunday school picnic.

Lindsey’s was glamorous?

by Anonymousreply 26May 1, 2021 4:28 AM

A brief reunion with "The Parent Trap" co-star Joanna Barnes @ 3:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2021 4:31 AM

She allegedly took Mark-Paul Gosselar's virginity on the set of Good Morning, Miss Bliss.

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2021 4:32 AM

2 girls in my grade were named Hayley after her, and this was in the 1980s. She will always be an early crush.

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2021 4:41 AM

My niece is named after her.

The Parent Trap captivated me: the sunny, glamorous Western home, the rugged men, the well-dressed women, the fancy NYC life. I wanted it all.

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2021 4:56 AM

[quote]Met her and her sister and they are delightful.

Agreed. Hayley Mills was lovely to me.

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2021 6:34 AM

Weird. I just mentioned HM in the Lennon Sisters thread and boom, an entire thread of HM news!

I find this sort of...what? Precognition? Synchronicity? happens to me often.

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2021 6:44 AM

R17, Not I! I can sing the lyrics without the YouTube video!

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2021 6:47 AM

[Quote] I find this sort of...what?

The Lennon Sistes? Hayley Mills? I attribute this to Old Queendom.

by Anonymousreply 34May 1, 2021 10:48 AM

R34, It could have been worse, if he had cited The King Sisters.

by Anonymousreply 35May 1, 2021 11:35 AM

R25 Sort of. Nancy was tonging her twat and rubbing her anus at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2021 11:51 AM

I have only cried at the end of two movies in my entire life where tears were streaming down my face-West Side Story and The Trouble with Angels. The rest no matter how sad or tragic I usually think sentimental schlock.

by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2021 11:54 AM

It's too bad you don't to see John Mills' bare ass. In fact it's too bad you don't get to see him frontally nude either. Even as a middle aged man he was beautiful with both James and Tommy in SFR. Disney knew male pulchritude and how to get the female and gay elements into an adventure movie.

by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2021 12:00 PM

Has anyone seen Beyond the Door starring her big sis? The trailer makes it look like a campy, low budget The Exorcist rip off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2021 12:00 PM

Speaking of Juliet, how did she get that Billy Wilder movie with Jack Lemmon? She was never remotely A-List. Was she a last minute replacement?

by Anonymousreply 40May 1, 2021 12:58 PM

[quote]The Parent Trap captivated me: the sunny, glamorous Western home, the rugged men, the well-dressed women, the fancy NYC life.

It was Boston, not NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 1, 2021 1:05 PM

Her Parent Trap haircut was so unflattering.

by Anonymousreply 42May 1, 2021 1:06 PM

I didn't know she ever had the Joey Heatherton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 1, 2021 1:08 PM

[quote]Speaking of Juliet, how did she get that Billy Wilder movie with Jack Lemmon? She was never remotely A-List. Was she a last minute replacement?

I told this before here, I assume she auditioned and got the part, but I met and did ask her what it was like working with the two legends and she said "The best part was they paid me to get fat in Italy...IN ITALY!" , she was laugh out loud funny.

by Anonymousreply 44May 1, 2021 1:18 PM

Is anyone alive craving for a Hayley Mills tell all? Why did she wait so long?

Talk about a has-been.

by Anonymousreply 45May 1, 2021 1:22 PM

Mills said that Wilder rang her personally to offer her that part, which almost never happens. No audition, no screen test. Apparently, he enjoyed her work on the Nanny show.

It still seems unusual. Perhaps the nude scene put some big names off taking the role. I wonder if Streisand was offered it. She could have used her then newly minted "Retah-ded children" Brit accent.

by Anonymousreply 46May 1, 2021 1:23 PM

Wilder's previous film was a major flop and his style was considered to be a bit old-fashioned by 1970s standards. When you add the fact that the female lead in Avanti is constantly referred to as "chubby" in the script you can see why there weren't any A-list actresses lining up for that role. But apparently Mills was his first choice anyway.

But he did want La Dunaway and Marlene Dietrich to play the leads in Fedora years later and had to settle for some bland Swiss chick and Hildegrad Knef (aka the bargain basement Dietrich) in the end after those two turned him down.

Avanti is a guilty pleasure of mine, though. If you close your eyes during those two scenes where Jack Lemmon's unbelievably ugly ass makes an appearance it's a pretty enjoyable ride.

by Anonymousreply 47May 1, 2021 1:28 PM

Lynn Redgrave would have took the role, surely?

by Anonymousreply 48May 1, 2021 1:35 PM

It's TITTY BATTLE time!

Juliet definitely won the titty lottery between the two sisters. As you can see in the side by side comparison below Juliet had nice voluptuous titties (even if her areolas were a bit asymmetrically placed) while Hayley's looked like something you might find on a guy suffering from gynecomastia.

But in Hayley's defense, that pic of Juliet is from Avanti, so it was the weight she had to gain for the role that probably helped those girls look better. Maybe Hayley's moobies would look like that too if she put some extra fat on those bones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 1, 2021 1:43 PM

I love Hayley’s voice, the way she says “scathingly brilliant” in Angels.

by Anonymousreply 50May 1, 2021 2:01 PM

[quote]Lynn Redgrave would have took the role, surely?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 51May 1, 2021 2:29 PM

Juliet has been married for over 30 years to Maxwell Caulfield. There's an 18 year difference...Juliet being the oldest. That's pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 52May 1, 2021 4:06 PM

LOVE LOVE HAYLEY! my first female crush ( alongside the first male crushes of steve reeves and clint walker! who i STILL and always will "crush" on!)....

love her name as i always thought if i had children and a girl, i would name her Hayley...

anyway, she was going to appear in one of those autograph shows a few hours away from me last year and i was going to make the long hours long drive but it was cancelled due to Covid....

will definitely buy this book.... seeing her now at age 75 it makes me sad and melancholy to think just how long ago "the trouble with angels" actually was! it really drives home the decades....her co-star june harding passed away 2 years ago at age 81.... she was 29 years old at the time playing a high schooler in the trouble with angels..Hayley was 20 at the time.. From what i have read hayley and june got along great during the filming and June was actually at first in awe of Hayley because of her fame and body of work...

by Anonymousreply 53May 1, 2021 4:26 PM

Well her take on Disney should be interesting. O'Hara was none too flattering about him in her auto-bio. He tried to bargain down her price for a film and she refused which pissed him off. Then though she had star billing in The Parent Trap he gave it to Hayley anyway rather ingeniously and she was pissed off. Her lawyer said she could fight it and win but it was not worth making a mortal enemy of Walt. When at the end of his life and she had heard he was not well she called him. His wife picked up the phone and she heard Walt say in the background 'Bitch!' His wife told O'Hara that he wasn't able to come to the phone at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 54May 1, 2021 4:40 PM

[quote]Do you think she will spill some tea?

I know she will, she has Parkinsons.

by Anonymousreply 55May 1, 2021 4:44 PM

I think the hair in the PT was a wig. Her actual hair was long.

by Anonymousreply 56May 1, 2021 5:19 PM

What did Juliet see in Maxwell?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 1, 2021 9:01 PM

In the mid 80s I saw her and some kids outside Loews 84th theater and she was absolutely beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 58May 1, 2021 9:19 PM

Hayley is one of those rare people who was more attractive in middle age than in her youth.

by Anonymousreply 59May 1, 2021 9:24 PM

Rare women. Many men are!

by Anonymousreply 60May 1, 2021 9:28 PM

Juliet Mills accepted Glenda Jackson's Oscar for Best Actress for her performance in "Women in Love" at the 43rd Academy Awards in 1971. Her father that night won Best Supporting Actor for "Ryan's Daughter". I asked Juliet if Glenda had asked her to accept and she said no, the Academy did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 1, 2021 10:53 PM

Hayley, Juliet and Max toured Australia in the James Kirkwood play LEGENDS. How has that play never made it to NYC even off broadway. It would be a wonderful vehicle for Charles Busch.

by Anonymousreply 62May 2, 2021 12:22 PM

Scathingly brilliant!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 2, 2021 12:55 PM

The MOON SPINNERS!!!!!! A lovely teen fantasy. I have to see if it's on Youtube - cause that what we oldsters rely on. Summer Magic was sort of a more civilized Swiss Family Robinson. With a gorgeous Peter Brown.

by Anonymousreply 64May 7, 2021 4:49 PM

I hope The Moon Spinners gets put out on bluray with its gorgeous Greek location shooting. It's kind of silly especially at the end with Pola Negri but why does the extremely unappealing obnoxious Eli Wallach seem to always turn up in every film ever made?

Monkeys Go Home just came out on bluray so why not?

by Anonymousreply 65May 7, 2021 5:03 PM

How did she not beat out Patty Duke for her own show, she already had played double?

by Anonymousreply 66May 7, 2021 5:03 PM

TV was a comedown. Hayley wanted to continue her film career.

by Anonymousreply 67May 7, 2021 5:10 PM

Her Parent Trap is infinitely superior to the Lindsay Lohan one. It's my favorite all-time movie.

by Anonymousreply 68May 7, 2021 8:59 PM

Does the Lohan version follow the same plot line - i.e. identical twins separated as babies when their parents split and each raised by a different parent, never knowing of the other's existence until they meet by chance? When you think about it, those are some really shitty parents doing that to their twin kids. Not only keeping the kids apart and unknown to each other, but the non-custodial parents having zero presence in their other kids' lives. It took me several viewings of the original movie (because the cast was so charming...) to realize how inhuman it all was.

by Anonymousreply 69May 7, 2021 10:26 PM

R10 That man, whoever he was, was a fool.

Garbo tuned down Hitchcock, Beaton and Max Ophuls,

by Anonymousreply 70May 7, 2021 10:41 PM

[quote] Hayley's first adult role was a drama called "The Family Way

The most depressing, tawdry family imaginable. Directed by a failed-director and co-starring a pudding-faced man.

Her buttock-cleavage is equally tawdry.

by Anonymousreply 71May 7, 2021 11:05 PM

[quote]Hayley's first adult role was a drama called "The Family Way

Haley and Hywel Bennett later reunited for "Twisted Nerve", best known for its creepy "whistling stalker" theme that was later recycled for "Kill Bill" and "American Horror Story"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 7, 2021 11:20 PM

R38 Are you being ironic?

R40, R44 The once-great Billy Wilder had descended into his unfortunate, self-hating American Schmuck phase. He needed plain ordinary people to play passive, unsophisticated simpletons.

R48 Lynn Redgrave would have been interesting the role. But she was bigger than Lemmon.

by Anonymousreply 73May 7, 2021 11:25 PM

R54 That's a fascinating anecdote.

I guess Disney had heard about the aggressive Maureen.

Elsa Lanchester's memoir says Catholic Maureen O'Hara made an absolute pest of herself when Charles Laughton was on his deathbed in hospital. Maureen was cajoling and threatening Charles with eternal damnation if he didn't confess his sins to the lord Jesus Christ before he took his last breath.

Her pestering lasted for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 74May 7, 2021 11:34 PM

R58, R59 I can't agree.

Hayley's career ended in 1969 and her face seemed to suddenly sprout wrinkles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 7, 2021 11:50 PM

Summer Magic brought us this DL anthem...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 8, 2021 12:06 AM

Will she talk about her neonazi son?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 8, 2021 12:20 AM

The Moon Spinners is available on Disney Plus. Disappointingly, considering how many Disney movies she made, the only other Hayley Mills movies available from D+ are That Darn Cat! and The Parent Trap.

I wonder if Hayley has anything to say in her memoir about her Moon Spinners co-star Peter McEnery. Ditto her Gypsy Girl co-star,Ian McShane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 8, 2021 12:21 AM

Will she talk about Alan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 8, 2021 12:26 AM

Johnny Jingo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 8, 2021 12:28 AM

I wonder if Disney had a chance to see Family Way. He seemed to die just in time. What would he have made of the world from '67 on?

by Anonymousreply 81May 8, 2021 12:39 AM

I loved her second 'adult' themed film, A Matter of Innocence, filmed in Singapore in '67. (It's also known as Pretty Poly and was taken from a Noel Coward short story. The plot had our Hayley having an inter-racial romance with the dreamy Shashi Kapoor and in real life, she married the director who was much older than her. It also has a great soundtrack by Michele Legrand.

by Anonymousreply 82May 8, 2021 12:47 AM

I do love that Let's Get Together song.

by Anonymousreply 83May 8, 2021 1:11 AM

Is Joey Mills her grandson?

by Anonymousreply 84May 8, 2021 1:19 AM

I'm surprised Walt allowed the scene in "The Parent Trap" where Brian Keith found Maureen O'Hara's bra in the bathroom.

This was a man who wouldn't allow Annette Funicello to wear a bikini in those beach movies.

by Anonymousreply 85May 8, 2021 1:37 AM

She was allowed a 2-piece, but *not* a bikini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 8, 2021 2:00 AM

^ At least Annette showed a bit more navel than Farley Granger.

by Anonymousreply 87May 8, 2021 2:01 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 8, 2021 2:17 AM

r69, yes the remake follows the same plot, adding an international angle by making London the home of one of the twins. But the remake is a completely "declawed," politically correct version, with none of the catty humor involving the mother, and none of the physical violence (the absence of which makes it less compelling). There were so many amusing characters in the original, even the minor characters of the grandfather and Reverend Moseby were great.

Yes, the plot point about each parent abandoning one child is horrific, but easy to overlook given the charm of the characters.

by Anonymousreply 89May 8, 2021 2:59 AM

And no Gloria Upson, r89!!!

by Anonymousreply 90May 8, 2021 3:06 AM

R38 Are you being ironic?

You're the first person I've heard wanting John Mills' bare arse.

I've always assumed Disney took little John Mills as part of a package deal to get his more popular daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 8, 2021 4:15 AM

[quote]Is Joey Mills her grandson?

Yes, and General Mills is her uncle.

by Anonymousreply 92May 8, 2021 4:20 PM

[quote]And no Gloria Upson, [R89]!!!

Excuse me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 8, 2021 4:24 PM

I met a boy named Frank Mills...

by Anonymousreply 94May 8, 2021 4:45 PM

OMG, r93. I had no idea. I sit corrected.

by Anonymousreply 95May 8, 2021 4:53 PM

Well Disney left in the prostitute scene in Bon Voyage despite complaints. It is too subtle for children(at least at that time) but adults know exactly what is going on.

And yes I found John Mills very handsome. When I was in London I went to see Separate Tables just because he was in it. The movie is better because all the plots run concurrently.

by Anonymousreply 96May 8, 2021 5:00 PM

I love The Twisted Nerve - Hayley is very good at being terrified and Hywel Bennett walks around naked a lot......and the police are sure he is a "hah-mo-sex-yal." He reads muscle man magazines......

We saw Hayley in The King and I - and it was worth it. She was okay.....but it was Hayley Mills! Afterwards she signed everyone's program. As she signed mine I said a line from "Summer Magic" - "She's not knocked-kneed, Nancy."

She laughed and said: "Thank you, Walt Disney!"

by Anonymousreply 97May 8, 2021 6:35 PM

Hayley and songwriter Richard Sherman at an ALS benefit in 2016....when he has trouble with the lyrics she makes him take out the paper even though it's obvious she knows the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 8, 2021 6:41 PM

Here she talks with Leonard Maltin and his wife about working at Disney.....lots of fun.....nothing untoward....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 8, 2021 6:50 PM

Hayley Mills always sounds like the nearby property to Pepperidge Farms where they take the wheat to be ground into flour to make the breads and cookies.

by Anonymousreply 100May 8, 2021 8:06 PM

She made two films with George Sanders: In Search of the Castaways & Endless Night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 8, 2021 11:28 PM

I’m sorry R96 and R38.

John Mills had the luck to appear opposite some genuine stars in some important films during Britain's Golden Age of Filmmaking* but I think of him as lacking any individual, innate appeal.

He had a limited range, the body of a midget and no serious thespian skills.

I don't understand why he was given special billing in Audrey Hepburn’s ‘War and Peace' in 1956. Nor can I understand why it was seriously suggested he could withstand the onslaught of Bette Davis in ‘The African Queen’ in 1951.

* ’Great Expectations’, ‘Scott of the Antarctic’ and ‘In Which We Serve’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 9, 2021 12:16 AM

In the dream sequence at the end of The Parent Trap, where one of the girls has the premonitory dream about her parents' marriage, why does Brian Keith still have the black eye Maureen O'Hara gave him earlier in the film? Was the makeup so indelible that they couldn't get it off him? Maybe it was supposed to be funny but I think that sequence was too moving to be played for laughs, and I wish they had cleaned him up.

by Anonymousreply 103May 9, 2021 4:31 AM

She's also quite good in The Chalk Garden with her father and Deborah Kerr.

by Anonymousreply 104May 9, 2021 7:51 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 105May 9, 2021 8:04 AM

The $33 memoir stops at the year 1967.

by Anonymousreply 106May 9, 2021 8:08 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 107May 9, 2021 8:09 AM

Is this the one that got with the hot Maxwell Caulfield? I guess we won’t be seeing him if the book ends in 1967, he’d still be in middle school.

by Anonymousreply 108May 9, 2021 12:57 PM

Loved Whistle Down the Wind with Hayley and Alan Bates. Tiger Bay was another good one.

by Anonymousreply 109May 9, 2021 1:13 PM

Did you all know back in the day that Alan Bates preferred men?

by Anonymousreply 110May 9, 2021 2:06 PM

R110 Yes. I thought he was a DL favorite. He was excellent in Whistle Down the Wind with Hayley.

by Anonymousreply 111May 9, 2021 2:52 PM

Bates was gossiped about in the same ways as Rock Hudson? I didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 112May 9, 2021 3:41 PM

R112 I don't think he was ever gossiped about, much like Dirk Bogarde or other English actors. They were of the generation that didn't 'come out' -- it was just understood.

by Anonymousreply 113May 9, 2021 3:50 PM

Bates was associated with women, though. They were his dates to premiers etc.

by Anonymousreply 114May 9, 2021 4:07 PM

*premieres

by Anonymousreply 115May 9, 2021 4:08 PM

r110, when you film a movie scene like this, it sets tongues wagging.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 9, 2021 4:35 PM

I don't recall tongues wagging about Oliver Reed's sexuality...

by Anonymousreply 117May 9, 2021 4:36 PM

R82, she married the (much older) director of “The Family Way” not “A Matter of Innocence “. Her Indian co-star in the latter film, Shashi Kapoor, was married to the sister of Felicity Kendal.

by Anonymousreply 118May 9, 2021 5:26 PM

Hayley's current partner is twenty years younger. He's 55.

by Anonymousreply 119May 9, 2021 5:33 PM

R72 - I think that tune came from a Hitchcock movie - "North by Northwest", maybe?

by Anonymousreply 120May 9, 2021 7:16 PM

Nope, it was written by Bernard Hermann for "Twisted Nerve".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 10, 2021 12:57 AM

[quote]He had a limited range, the body of a midget and no serious thespian skills.

Well, the Academy didn't agree with you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 10, 2021 1:00 AM

R122 The emotional Academy hands out Oscars to anyone who pretend to be mentally-retarded, dumb, deaf, blind, crippled, spastic, long-nosed or armless.

by Anonymousreply 123May 10, 2021 7:13 AM

R123, Hear that G?

by Anonymousreply 124May 10, 2021 7:21 AM

I asked Juliet Mills who has the Oscar and she said ..."He left it to ME!". She was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 125May 10, 2021 9:58 AM

R125 Juliet is the spitting image of her father.

I guess Hayley takes after the mother.

by Anonymousreply 126May 10, 2021 10:21 AM

I'm still trying figure out which scene in NORTH BY NORTHWEST would have been best served by the whistling theme from THE TWISTED NERVE.

by Anonymousreply 127May 10, 2021 1:22 PM

Hayley, as you know R125, do have her own Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 128May 10, 2021 1:47 PM

I loved her kid age movies especially The World of Henry Orient. But her nose scrunch has seen better days.

by Anonymousreply 129May 10, 2021 1:58 PM

r129 Hayley was not in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 130May 10, 2021 3:00 PM

They should have used Hayley for the Tabitha/Bewitched reboot in the 1970s. Age the character up a bit for Hayley.

by Anonymousreply 131May 10, 2021 3:23 PM

R129 World of Henry Orient is one of my favorite movies - although it is creepily stalkish - but Hayley was not in it. However, DL faves Angela Lansbury and Tom Bosley were in it.

by Anonymousreply 132May 10, 2021 3:33 PM

And Pia Zadora.

by Anonymousreply 133May 10, 2021 3:43 PM

Their brother was a cutie in his youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134May 10, 2021 3:43 PM

She could have been, because she was always around i the early to mid 60's, but never was she annoying.

by Anonymousreply 135May 10, 2021 3:46 PM

R133 What post are you responding to? Where does Pia Zadora fit into this?

by Anonymousreply 136May 10, 2021 4:11 PM

I was looking forward to Henry Orient because it is so beloved but I found it very creepy and unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 137May 10, 2021 4:19 PM

Hayley Mills had a guest star role on one of the better episodes of Midsomer Murders: "Wild Harvest".

by Anonymousreply 138May 10, 2021 4:22 PM

Hayley was in the running for Henry Orient but either passed or lost out to one of the unknowns.

by Anonymousreply 139May 10, 2021 4:28 PM

She was in the musical, r136.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140May 10, 2021 4:40 PM

“The Parent Trap” and “Pollyanna” were banned from our Sunday WWOD television lineup because I affected her accent and tone. It drove my mother up a wall. This was about the time I began praying that I was stolen and had richer parents.

by Anonymousreply 141May 10, 2021 5:07 PM

[quote]Hayley was in the running for Henry Orient but either passed or lost out to one of the unknowns

Hayley was under contract to Disney. You think the Henry Orient production would pass over an Academy Award winning star over some unknown?

by Anonymousreply 142May 10, 2021 6:11 PM

I guess it should be referred to as Henry Asian?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143May 10, 2021 8:46 PM

R140 What musical? Your link is to something called "Sweet Henry" with Don Ameche...are you referring to that?

by Anonymousreply 144May 10, 2021 8:55 PM

Henry, Sweet Henry was the musical version of the The World of Henry Orient, neither of which Hayley was in. Pia was in the musical, however.

by Anonymousreply 145May 10, 2021 8:59 PM

Didn't Willian Goldman write in The Season that Henry, Sweet Henry in previews got audiences as enthusiastic as those of Mame until the negative reviews came out and the enthusiasm disappeared?

Anybody see it?

by Anonymousreply 146May 10, 2021 9:01 PM

Let's Get Together

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147May 10, 2021 9:02 PM

R145 Thank you. I never heard of the musical. I'll Google but do you have any links?

by Anonymousreply 148May 10, 2021 9:08 PM

I remember as a kid or maybe a teenager reading in the movie magazines how Hayley was with an older man and pregnant. That seemed very counterintuitive and scandalous to me.

by Anonymousreply 149May 10, 2021 9:23 PM

r148...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150May 10, 2021 9:27 PM

She would never has succeeded as an adult in movies because she had that blobby Karl Malden nose.

by Anonymousreply 151May 10, 2021 11:40 PM

What did Clive Barnes have on the New York Times and how did he get his position? Everyone hated him. And even after being torn to shreds by Goldman in The Season he remained in his position for many years. I saw him a few times. An obese disgusting human being. At least from a visual perspective.

by Anonymousreply 152May 10, 2021 11:57 PM

R141 male or female? American?

by Anonymousreply 153May 11, 2021 6:01 AM

[quote] This was about the time I began praying that I was stolen and had richer parents.

I know plenty of children in 1965 who prayed they had Julie Andrews as their parent.

by Anonymousreply 154May 11, 2021 6:09 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 155May 11, 2021 6:23 AM

R153, male from USA, and I had a very high voice.

by Anonymousreply 156May 11, 2021 6:35 AM

"Death comes unexpectedly!!!" Says Karl Malden the preacher in Pollyanna. His sermon and the reactions to it are hilarious.

And of course the movie starts with a boy's ass filling the screen and he rides a rope into the swimming hole.

by Anonymousreply 157May 11, 2021 10:13 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 158May 11, 2021 10:15 PM

A lot of Disney - especially the cartoons are butt-centric.....

by Anonymousreply 159May 11, 2021 10:21 PM

Butt...butt...

by Anonymousreply 160May 11, 2021 10:22 PM

DISNEY ,,, BUTT -- TRIGGERED!

by Anonymousreply 161May 11, 2021 10:30 PM

She's been surrounded by beauty her entire life. Vivien Leigh was her godmother and Maxwell Caulfield is her brother-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 162May 11, 2021 10:34 PM

Her longtime partner Leigh Lawson ended up marrying Twiggy. He sure did get those iconic blonde British 60s birds, eh what?

by Anonymousreply 163May 12, 2021 2:38 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 164May 12, 2021 3:38 AM

^ Tommy was tall; Hayley was short and wasn't convincing playing an American teenager

by Anonymousreply 165May 12, 2021 3:58 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 166May 12, 2021 3:59 AM

I met Hayley a couple of years ago when she starred along with DL fave Klea Blackhurst in a show at City Center.. She still looked great, was friendly and had a quick walking stride as she went out to get something to eat between matinee and evening shows.

by Anonymousreply 167May 12, 2021 4:01 AM

John Mills was in some great films like "Hobson's Choice" and "Great Expectations" playing Pip.

Pia Zadora, in that clip, was trying to pull focus in some of her movements in the chorus; Baayork Lee is perfectly professional. But not in any way could anyone pull focus from the wonderful mini-Ethel Merman voice and presence of the late lamented Alice Playten!

by Anonymousreply 168May 12, 2021 4:19 AM

[quote] John Mills was in some great films like "Hobson's Choice"

He got that role because Robert Donat, the first choice for the role fell sick with asthma again.

by Anonymousreply 169May 12, 2021 10:48 AM

Alice Playten was talented but she really didn't have much of a singing voice. People may not like Ethel Merman's voice but she didn't shout, she actually sang.

by Anonymousreply 170May 12, 2021 2:33 PM

R168 I thought hobson’s choice was so boring. I don’t get the hype.

by Anonymousreply 171May 12, 2021 3:17 PM

He may not have been the best choice, r171, but it's the choice I made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172May 12, 2021 3:31 PM

The lovely Miss Hobson made that choice because she wanted to gracefully retire at the top of her profession.

She had given her fans 20 years of glamour.

She had starred with the best— Olivier, Donat, Granger, Fairbanks, Guinness, Redgrave, Richard Todd, Howard Keel, Conrad Veidt and the French heartthrob Gérard Philipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173May 12, 2021 8:37 PM

Hobson gave excellent performances in "Knave of Hearts" and "The Rocking Horse Winner", which also featured John Mills, her co-star from "Great Expectations".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174May 12, 2021 8:58 PM

'The Rocking Horse Winner' was a shocking and effective film which allowed the lovely Valerie Hobson fifteen (!) gowns to wear in 90 minutes.

John Mills played a pawn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175May 12, 2021 9:05 PM

Valerie Hobson wasn't in the movie "Hobson's Choice". Enjoyable film of a great play, later musicalized as "Walking Happy". It starred Charles Laughton, John Mills and the very good Brenda de Banzie (who later played one of the kidnappers in the Doris Day-James Stewart starring remake by Alfred Hitchcock of "The Man Who Knew Too Much").

by Anonymousreply 176May 12, 2021 10:21 PM

I'm surprised that Hayley Mills "grew up in Hollywood". John Mills moved to the US? How did she keep her British accent?

by Anonymousreply 177May 12, 2021 10:53 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 178May 12, 2021 11:10 PM

Wow, R116 I have not seen that before. Any behind the scenes tidbits regarding the timing of that scene, i.e. how did the actors feel about it, did they get it in one take...

by Anonymousreply 179May 12, 2021 11:21 PM

R178 Better no accent than an English one since he was totally excoriated for his Cockney one in "Mary Poppins"!

by Anonymousreply 180May 12, 2021 11:48 PM

[Quote] How did she keep her British accent?

Brits in Hollywood stick together.

by Anonymousreply 181May 13, 2021 12:03 AM

Hobson's Choice is a wonderful film except for one bad moment when Laughton sees a rabbit or is it a rat? It jars you right out of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 182May 13, 2021 12:21 AM

R116 Thank you. I'd like answers to the same questions asked by R179. I forgot how adorable Alan Bates was. I loved him in Whistle Down the Wind with Hayley.

by Anonymousreply 183May 13, 2021 12:50 PM

The famous nude scene from "Women in Love" was not shot in one take. It took quite a while actually, and the room was pretty cold. That fireplace wasn't real, if I recall reading about it. Oliver Reed was reluctant to do it, after initially being the one to push for doing it, since he suddenly started wondering that perhaps Alan Bates might have a bigger dick. There was some continuity girl who kept measuring (or somehow) following Reed especially around to, I guess, make sure his dick looked the same from scene to scene (hilarious to think about, but he did do interviews commenting on this). Apparently Reed and Bates went out drinking and decided to do a "you show me yours, I'll show you mine". When Reed was satisfied that both their cocks were about the same size, he went on with shooting the scene on the appointed date. The scene was quite choreographed. I bet some shots that fell beside the wayside in editing gave even better views of both of them. Alan Bates had already been dropping trou (though not frontal) in "Georgy Girl", "King of Hearts" and a few others at that point. He was like that era's Ewan McGregor and Richard Gere in the late 60s/early 70s. Wonderful actor too. Reed especially good in "Oliver!" around that time period as well.

by Anonymousreply 184May 13, 2021 4:28 PM

I saw him in The Unexpected Man with Eileen Atkins at the Promenade second row center. That was a thrill to be almost face to face with them. Excellent.

by Anonymousreply 185May 13, 2021 4:40 PM

Alan Bates was brilliant in "Fortune's Fool" on Broadway and won a Tony for it, as did his co-star Frank Langella.

by Anonymousreply 186May 13, 2021 4:59 PM

^ I went to IBDB and one of that show's producers was the person "Rita Gam" who also married Sidney Lumet, was a bridesmaid at the Princess Grace wedding and appeared in quite a few trashy movies.

by Anonymousreply 187May 13, 2021 11:33 PM

[quote] There was some continuity girl who kept measuring (or somehow) following Reed especially around to, I guess, make sure his dick looked the same from scene to scene (

It wasn't a girl.

by Anonymousreply 188May 13, 2021 11:37 PM

John Mills was adorable. As was his daughter.

by Anonymousreply 189May 13, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote] The famous nude scene from "Women in Love" was

It was half a century ago.

And myths have grown up about that scene. But the distributors published a fan magazine in 1969 and they obviously didn't understand Oliver Reed's slang.

It contained an interview where he states he 'did a quick jodrell' before the scene. The magazine publisher didn't know what he meant and I didn't know what he meant.

But twenty years later I spoke to Englishmen who told me that 'Jodrell Bank' was a once famous observatory and an example of rhyming slang.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190May 13, 2021 11:53 PM

R190, ???

by Anonymousreply 191May 14, 2021 2:27 AM

R191 - what would you do with your dick that rhymes with "bank"?

by Anonymousreply 192May 14, 2021 2:39 AM

Wank/Masturbate.

by Anonymousreply 193May 14, 2021 2:40 AM

'Wank' is such an ugly word. 'Jerk off' is preferable.

by Anonymousreply 194May 14, 2021 2:56 AM

Jerk is a pretty word?

by Anonymousreply 195May 14, 2021 11:15 AM

'Self-love' is prettier.

by Anonymousreply 196May 14, 2021 11:21 AM

Self-abuse is even better.

by Anonymousreply 197May 14, 2021 1:54 PM

Well this thread has taken an interesting turn.

by Anonymousreply 198May 14, 2021 2:51 PM

Juliet did a Zoom interview last October where she mentioned that they tried and failed to make "Legends" work. It's sweet how Juliet and Maxwell work together so much. They seem determined to maximise their time together.

by Anonymousreply 199May 14, 2021 4:03 PM

Was Alan Bates also nude in "The Fixer"? DL fave Georgia Brown was in that one.

by Anonymousreply 200May 14, 2021 5:04 PM

[quote] nude

If Bates was nude you can be sure it was done in a degradingly ugly way.

I dozed off during this boring, bleak account of humiliation, poverty, misery and victimhood in the pogroms. IMDB says Frankenheimer's first version of the film lasted four hours and forty-five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 201May 14, 2021 9:27 PM

Sadly, just his ass was on display in "The Fixer".

by Anonymousreply 202May 14, 2021 10:07 PM

Hayley's first appearance ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203May 16, 2021 12:24 PM

John Mills was a distinguished actor who appeared in 90 films in a career that spanned 70 years. He received the Oscar for Ryan's Daughter 40 years after his film debut. More well known and popular in England though a number of his films Ghandi, In Which We Serve, Great Expectations, Oh! What a Lovely War. The Rockinghorse Winner, Around the World in Eighty Days, Goodbye Mr. Chips and those he did with daughter Hayley are well known in the US. He directed his daughter Hayley in The Gypsy Girl (1966) appeared on his daughter Juliet's TV series Nanny and the Professor and was married to Mary Hayley Bell who wrote the novel Whistle Down the Wind and the story and screenplay for The Gypsy Girl for 64 years.

by Anonymousreply 204June 4, 2021 2:40 AM

John Mills is superb in Hobson's Choice 1954 (dir. David Lean) ... You can get a sense of where Hayley got her sparkle from that performance of her Dad's...

DL should love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 4, 2021 3:00 AM

[quote] Hobson's Choice

To quote R169, Millsy only got that role because Robert Donat, the first choice for the role, fell sick with asthma again.

Laughton and Donat wanted to make a film together on the anniversary of their last film together

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206June 4, 2021 3:58 AM

[quote] Does the Lohan version follow the same plot line - i.e. identical twins separated as babies when their parents split and each raised by a different parent, never knowing of the other's existence until they meet by chance? When you think about it, those are some really shitty parents doing that to their twin kids. Not only keeping the kids apart and unknown to each other, but the non-custodial parents having zero presence in their other kids' lives. It took me several viewings of the original movie (because the cast was so charming...) to realize how inhuman it all was.

Yup, the remake had the same plot line. I remember years ago when David Tutera and his ex were going through custody drama regarding their twins, a friend of mine made the joke that the Parent Trap should be remade again with gay parents.

by Anonymousreply 207June 4, 2021 4:04 AM

[quote] Was she molested?

R22 I bet the publishers demanded that she dredge up some incident from two thirds of a century ago.

This book won't sell unless there's some newsworthy salaciousness. Oprah won't bother doing an interview unless there's some ancient abuse with which to full up an hour's worth of interview time.

Meryl Steep Gummer loathes Disney so I'm sure Hayley will oblige.

by Anonymousreply 208June 4, 2021 4:12 AM

Anyone else triggered by her nose wrinkles in the OP pic?

by Anonymousreply 209June 4, 2021 5:22 AM

Meryl loathes Disney when she never even met him but considers Weinstein, the most disgraced man in Hollywood history, God when she knew him for decades. I mean are actors really as stupid as they are made out to be?

by Anonymousreply 210June 4, 2021 5:30 AM

R209 There's 200 wrinkles in this picture—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211June 4, 2021 5:32 AM

[quote] Meryl loathes Disney

That's one of those tribal hatreds that will go down through the generations and last a century or two.

by Anonymousreply 212June 6, 2021 8:55 AM

Why was Disney such an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 213June 9, 2021 3:03 PM

How dare you r47! I love Hildegard Knef! She has a great skull!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214June 9, 2021 3:23 PM

She barely touched on The Trouble with Angels, but she did praise June Harding

by Anonymousreply 215September 9, 2021 11:26 PM

Hayley was my childhood idol. Or more like, I wanted to be her.

I met Juliet and Maxwell at a party a couple of years ago. They live in Ojai and came to LA for the occasional Hollywood soiree. They, a friend of mine and I talked for about an hour. They couldn't have been more delightful or friendlier. At some point, Juliet mentioned the movie she made for Billy Wilder, Avanti. I wanted to tell her I admired her tits but didn't but I did mention I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 216September 9, 2021 11:36 PM

Has anyone read it?

by Anonymousreply 217October 19, 2021 11:39 PM

I read it. It's a good book and she just tells her version of her life. Interesting and fun especially if you are a Hayley or Disney fan.

by Anonymousreply 218October 20, 2021 2:52 PM

R175, I saw The Rocking Horse Winner ages ago. AMC used to show mostly British movies from the late 1940s thru the early 1960s. Glorious films. Many black & white. Every day all day long.

I saw my first and favorite Powell and Pressburger film on AMC and taped it - I know Where I'm Going. I mistakenly taped over part of it and was devastated. I also seem to recall watching Tiger Bay.

by Anonymousreply 219October 20, 2021 3:05 PM

Does she spill any tea, r218?

by Anonymousreply 220October 20, 2021 3:10 PM

Just some interesting things about her family - but no real bombshells about anybody or anything. It's just interesting to know how things got done in Hollywood and how one little cog in the big machine worked.

As I said - mostly of interest to Hayley fans. And I think there are a lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 221October 20, 2021 3:46 PM

Thanks r221, I've been thinking about checking it out.

by Anonymousreply 222October 20, 2021 3:57 PM

I skimmed through it. Was mostly interested in the Parent Trap years.

She mentions Maureen O'Hara getting shafted out of top billing for the Parent Trap, though Maureen never held that against Hayley.

Hayley was friends with Joe Stafford, the actor who played Trooper Stafford in the Parent Trap. She had him over and they were having a conversation in the living room when Hayley's drunken mother walked in and proceeded to pass out. Joe caught her in time and carried her up to her bed then left.

Incidentally (this is not in the book): According to IMDB Joe Stafford died in August of this year.

by Anonymousreply 223November 1, 2021 8:14 AM

[R175], I saw The Rocking Horse Winner ages ago.

The play 'Equus' was obviously stolen from this interesting movie. The climax was quite powerful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224November 1, 2021 8:21 AM

The family was living at 98 Cheyne Walk, London when she got her Disney contract. I looked it up on Google maps, looks like a nice neighborhood!

The first time Disney offered Hayley a contract (7 picture deal), the family turned it down under the legal pretext that it's illegal for someone under 14 years old to leave England for gain. So Disney guaranteed John Mills the role of the dad in Swiss Family Robinson if Hayley would sign, and they did (got around the under-14 restriction by deferring payment to then 12-year old Hayley until she turned 14).

by Anonymousreply 225November 1, 2021 11:55 PM

Did I mention I was a writer, Mr. Disney?

by Anonymousreply 226November 2, 2021 2:14 PM

So was the mom a lush, or what? She and John seemed very devoted to one another.

by Anonymousreply 227November 3, 2021 5:32 AM

Big lush and she and John both seemed very jealous of Hayley's success......which they didn't understand and felt was undeserved.

by Anonymousreply 228November 3, 2021 6:08 PM

Here's a bit of tea r220.

Hayley was with producer Mike Frankovitz and his wife actress Binnie Barnes at a casino. Samantha Eggar was with them also. Hayley dropped one of her casino chips on the floor and when she went to pick it up, she noticed Samantha's bare foot inside the bottom of Frankovitz's trouser leg, his wife sitting obliviously beside him. I guess Samantha really is the maneater she portrayed on an episode of Family.

by Anonymousreply 229November 4, 2021 4:59 PM

I read it, I think if you love Hayley Mills' films you will love the book. She presents very much as her characters from Pollyanna/Parent Trap all grown-up, that is, very kind but spunky not at all saccharine. She doesn't really bad mouth anyone directly, rather she allows the reader to draw their own conclusions, especially with regards to her parents. I was left with the impression that her parents were ambivalent about her fame, on the one hand, utilizing it to their own advantage, such as using her name to get backing for their own projects (her mother wrote the source material for both Whistle Down the Wind and Gypsy Girl and her father directed the latter) but also not having her career's best interests in place when it affected their own professional goals (her father, basically). That they never told her she won her juvenile Oscar until it arrived at their home in London is very telling.

Another impression I got from reading it is that she still does not really comprehend how famous she is/was. Boomers and most Xers still know and adore her childhood films, not sure about millennials, which I attribute, in part, to her parents downplaying her success as a child and not living in Hollywood when she was not shooting a film as a child. I hadn't realized that outside of her six Disney films and The Trouble with Angels she never made any American films during her heyday or the 1970s.

The book ends with the birth of her first son Crispian in 1973 which was also pretty much the end of her marriage to the much older Roy Boulting. She doesn't go into too much specifics but she's been very involved in Hinuism/Hare Krishna-ism for years, though I think Crispian is more fully entrenched in them, whereas Hayley integrates their principles with the Anglican faith she was raised in (her grandfather was a missionary in China).

by Anonymousreply 230November 4, 2021 6:35 PM

Maybe she’s got her head screwed on straight *because* her parents downplayed her career and success.

by Anonymousreply 231November 5, 2021 1:59 AM

R229, Frankovich

by Anonymousreply 232November 5, 2021 2:07 AM

Does she mention Juliet much? What does she say about her?

by Anonymousreply 233November 5, 2021 8:21 PM

She mentions Juliet throughout the book and speaks of her warmly throughout. However, Juliet was four/five years older than her and was pretty much out on her own by the time Hayley started the Disney films. She does say that they were always close and Juliet was never jealous of her success. She did mention that Juliet auditioned for the female lead in Dr. Doolittle and Hayley got offered the role which she turned down in part because she felt it would be too awkward taking the role, though she regrets doing that as she says Juliet wouldn't have begrudged her it as she knows it was just business. She says they are still very close, though Juliet moved to California when she started Nanny and the Professor and has stayed there ever since, while Hayley has remained in England. Hayley says she is close to both of her siblings, though Jonathon lives in Tasmania. She also writes a lot about her friendship with Andrew Birkin, Jane's brother, and says that they flirted with a romance for years but it never happened and still remain close friends.

by Anonymousreply 234November 7, 2021 6:17 PM

Juliet, Hayley and Maxwell did LEGENDS together on tour in Australia a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 235November 7, 2021 6:27 PM

R27 Noce to see Joanna Barnes so excited! I have only seen her play chic icicles in The Parent Trap and Murder She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 236November 7, 2021 6:35 PM

[quote] When you think about it, those are some really shitty parents doing that to their twin kids. Not only keeping the kids apart and unknown to each other, but the non-custodial parents having zero presence in their other kids' lives…

Blah blah blah. All these children of divorce bitch and moan about The Parent Trap like clockwork.

by Anonymousreply 237November 7, 2021 7:05 PM

R234 did she bang Shashi Kapoor?

by Anonymousreply 238November 7, 2021 7:07 PM

I love POLLYANNA - I used to watch it occasionally with my late friend John, both of us in (ahem) an "altered state." We would howl over certain lines (especially from tight ass Jane Wyman as Aunt Polly) and sigh contentedly over other scenes, like the 4th of July picnic; every time they cut that gigantic cake, John would say, "Wouldn't you like a piece of THAT?" And we both loved the scene where Agnes Moorehead signals to the woman running that fishing pole game to give Pollyanna that great big doll. And after Pollyanna falls out of the tree and breaks her leg or whatever, John would say, "Well, at least you got your Aunt Polly's room!" and we would both crack up. God, we had fun.....

by Anonymousreply 239November 7, 2021 7:31 PM

R239 and there's always that boy's naked ass that opens the movie.....

by Anonymousreply 240November 7, 2021 10:34 PM

Not to mention DL fave RETA SHAW!!!

by Anonymousreply 241November 7, 2021 11:06 PM

R238, no

by Anonymousreply 242November 8, 2021 4:18 AM

Hayley gets her stolen Oscar replaced by the Academy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243January 13, 2022 3:08 AM

[quote] What happened to her twin?

Hayley absorbed her.

by Anonymousreply 244January 13, 2022 3:25 AM

Like her sister Juliet, she likes her men younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245January 13, 2022 3:12 PM

I was pretty disappointed in the book. I think she does have some issues with her parents, especially her mother, who hated Hollywood, calling it "Horrorwood" and insisting that John Mills buy some big old castle type house that they really can't afford and don't need. She is kinder to John Mills, although it does come through that both parents were kind of jealous of her massive success. Kubrick wanted her for LOLITA and they flatly turned him down. They also mishandle her money, and when she becomes of age discovers that most of it is gone and she is tied up in the British tax courts for something like five years and eventually loses anyway. She is not present to receive her juvenile Oscar from Shirley Temple because her parents have packed her away in some hideous boarding school. She does not have a bad word to say about Walt Disney at all, despite feeling locked into her seven picture contract with him. Disney screen tests her younger brother Jonathan and actually casts him, only to have the parents pull him out at the last minute because the mother hates Hollywood. Her little Oscar gets stolen, as does a charm bracelet Walt Disney gave her with gold disc charms from every one of her films (how does that happen?) She kind of glosses over her marriage and divorce from Roy Boulting, and the whole book skids to a halt with any mention of her subsequent relationship with Leigh Lawson - she just says, "I had another baby." The whole thing was pretty disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 246January 13, 2022 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!