Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Upcoming movie about Boy George and Culture Club

Being touted as something on the level of the Freddie Mercury and Elton movies, but as much as I love George, his career isn't quite at that level.

Also, hasn't this film already been done for TV?

Who will play that duplicitous cunt Marilyn?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 23, 2021 2:50 PM

Didn’t they already make a movie about Boy George? The Crying Game?

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2021 2:10 PM

Has the part been cast? Because he looks a lot like my Norma and apparently I'm not too old to play anything. Plus, I really need an Oscar before I am wheelchair bound.

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2021 2:11 PM

Colton Haynes is "in talks" to play Audun Carlsen, the prostitute George beat up and handcuffed to a radiator during "a psychotic episode".

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2021 2:15 PM

Why doesn’t he just asked Sophie Turner to play him?

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2021 2:16 PM

I would argue that Boy George is far more interesting than Freddie Mercury. Heroin addiction, tying a hustler to the radiator, that messy affair with John Moss, being pals with Marilyn (fellow drag pop star) and Leigh Bowery, the Blitz Club new romantic scene, his bickerings with then closeted George Michael... I hate biopics in general but would watch the shit out of that one.

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2021 2:18 PM

Joan Cusak is the obvious choice for Boy George.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2021 2:20 PM

Russell Tovey must be a shoo-in for Kirk Brandon in a bleach blond wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2021 2:22 PM

This will undoubtedly focus on early years, and only mention his jail time briefly, if at all.

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2021 2:23 PM

I bet he has a lot of good stories!

I will be watching.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2021 2:28 PM

Cutie Douglas Booth played Boy in that TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2021 2:36 PM

I hope they get a better Jon Moss than last time. Mathew Horne was so miscast.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2021 2:37 PM

I can see Griffin Gluck as Kirk Brandon.

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2021 2:39 PM

[Quote] I hate biopics in general but would watch the shit out of that one.

Then track down "Worried About the Boy." It's quite good. Marc Warren is great as Steve Strange.

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2021 2:40 PM

George Mackay is in a similar ballpark to Kirk Brandon but he probably wouldn't take such a small role. He has a long nose, like Marilyn. Perhaps he could be dragged up to look prettier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2021 2:46 PM

George said in an interview last year that 'a very famous popstar' was going to play him and when the interviewer suggested Harry Styles, George didn't deny it. Harry looks nothing like him, though, and has clearly pulled out if he was ever attached in the first place. Douglas Booth already aced the role in the 2010 film Mad About the Boy.

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2021 2:54 PM

[Quote] Douglas Booth already aced the role in the 2010 film Mad About the Boy.

And he's never been good since.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2021 2:55 PM

Olly Alexander could probably be dragged up pretty well to look like George.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2021 2:56 PM

Can the young Fiennes act at all? I could see him as Jon Moss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2021 2:58 PM

Alex Lawther's face is sufficiently blank slate. It would be nice to have family in the title role...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2021 3:00 PM

Jonathan Bailey is probably too mature but he has the right cheeky energy for Jon Moss.

by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2021 3:03 PM

Hero Fiennes Tiffin is 6ft 2 with huge green eyes. Moss needs to be dark, almost Latino looking and about 5ft 9.

by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2021 3:05 PM

Jon Moss had light eyes, no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2021 3:10 PM

Moss was very sexy back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2021 3:11 PM

Bright eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2021 3:12 PM

[quote] Moss was very sexy back in the day.

Yes, he was.

Somewhere, there's a calendar with about a hundred gallons of my jizz splashed all over this photo. I wanted Jon inside me quite deeply.

(And this was long before I ever knew Jon and George had been a thing.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2021 3:18 PM

[quote]George said in an interview last year that 'a very famous popstar' was going to play him

It will be DL Fave Sam Smith!

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2021 3:21 PM

He didn't say no to a crop top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2021 3:23 PM

Sam Smith?

Ugh, that fat thing?

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2021 3:23 PM

Brandon Flynn isn't a million miles away from George in the facial stakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2021 3:24 PM

I cannot see Harry Styles playing Boy George in any universe. Sam Smith perhaps, but certainly not Harry Styles. Neither one of them would instigate any interest in my to see this movie. Besides, much of Mercury's, Elton's, Ray Charles' & James Brown's stories happened well before mass tabloids, MTV & social media, so a movie about them had more entertainment/info value. The Culture Club/Boy George story has been told in real time & then by the actual players many, many, many times over the years. Why watch an actor playing Boy George throw a hussy fit when I can watch Boy George himself throw a hussy fit in any amount of archival footage online?

by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2021 3:25 PM

Is a hussy fit any different than a hissy fit?

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2021 3:28 PM

I'm a fit hussy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2021 3:32 PM

Nonsense. Elton and Freddie were not that long before Boy George.

by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2021 3:33 PM

[Quote] Why watch an actor playing Boy George throw a hussy fit when I can watch Boy George himself throw a hussy fit in any amount of archival footage online?

You could say the same about Elton. Or Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 34April 29, 2021 3:33 PM

When did Sam Smith turn into a downmarket Emma Thompson?

All she needs is some sun and a cig and she'll be Dot Cotton

by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2021 3:34 PM

My fat fingers! But had George & Miss Dionne got into it after their Solid Gold duet I'd assume that would be a hussy fit.

by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2021 3:35 PM

Dot Cotton's son played George's father in the BBC TV biopic. He spoke with a bad Irish accent even though George's father did not speak with an Irish accent.

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2021 3:37 PM

I never got the Boy George and Jon Moss coupling. Jon could do way better.

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2021 9:33 PM

Jon was ambitious. I expect that was part of it.

by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2021 9:39 PM

The back story has always interested me. Dressing-up in outlandish outfits and taking the train to the big city clubs with other young scenesters; squatting in abandoned buildings; the sudden success; his unhappy love affair with the closeted band member; the drugs; the fall from the charts; the arrests...

by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2021 10:08 PM

I hate Sam Smith but he looks like George.

by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2021 10:23 PM

"I would argue that Boy George is far more interesting than Freddie Mercury."

But much less likeable, and IMHO that was the big problem with the Elton John movie - Elton himself was a bad-tempered twat and not a very sympathetic protagonist. One of the reasons the Queen movie worked was because Rami Malek managed to put both Mercury's star quality and his essential sweetness on the screen, so the audience liked him and rooted for him to overcome the problems he created for himself through bad decisions.

That wasn't the case with the Elton movie, the protagonist was hard to root for, and it'll be a problem with a movie about Boy George - who is just as much a bad-tempered twat as Elton. Only he's done some things that are worse than just get addicted to drugs.

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2021 10:25 PM

[quote] I never got the Boy George and Jon Moss coupling. Jon could do way better.

George was compelling and a force of nature. I think there was real affection there, at least at first.

Like many bands, success killed off most of that affection.

by Anonymousreply 43April 29, 2021 10:36 PM

George can be very charming. Elton, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 44April 29, 2021 10:37 PM

George said that the famous popstar playing the role wasn't Sam Smith but got coy when Styles' name was mentioned. Sam is way too hefty to play a young George although his voice is right. Plus we have no clue whether he can act whereas Styles was okay in Dunkirk.

by Anonymousreply 45April 30, 2021 12:02 AM

Jon Moss was adopted by a rich Jewish couple as a baby and attended two famous public schools in Highgate. He got into Cambridge University to study Greek but decided not to take up the place. No wonder BG found him fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 46April 30, 2021 12:04 AM

Sam Smith's speaking voice is much too light for George.

by Anonymousreply 47April 30, 2021 12:05 AM

I cannot believe the blatant and literal violence you've directed towards Sam in your comment, r47. Do you really want to hurt them? Do you really want to make them cry?

by Anonymousreply 48April 30, 2021 12:09 AM

Jon Moss is only Jewish through adoption? Does he know his ethnic background by birth?

by Anonymousreply 49April 30, 2021 12:12 AM

To me Jon looks a little middle eastern or even asian. Dark hair, dark eyes, olive skin.

by Anonymousreply 50April 30, 2021 12:13 AM

Apparently Moss was born in a Jewish Boys Home, from which he was adopted. Would such a home only accept babies from Jewish parents? Or is the rationale to raise orphans as Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 51April 30, 2021 12:25 AM

Did Moss wear colored contacts? There are numerous pics where his eyes are light.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 30, 2021 12:29 AM

Rocco Ritchie *is* Boy George.

by Anonymousreply 53April 30, 2021 12:34 AM

Boy George kicked Jon Moss out of the band a couple years ago and Jon is suing him. The rest of the members kept quiet because Boy is the star of Culture Club.

by Anonymousreply 54April 30, 2021 12:40 AM

Kiss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 30, 2021 12:43 AM

Holding hands

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 30, 2021 12:44 AM

Happy couple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 30, 2021 12:46 AM

They were quite obvious in the 80’s and were not hiding it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 30, 2021 12:47 AM

Boy George clearly needs the cash from a big biopic.

He may get money by being a producer in return for the rights plus it will bolster interest (and money) in his music.

Can't see him wanting to forever being a judge on Australian talent shows.

by Anonymousreply 59April 30, 2021 1:09 AM

Celebrities get zero cash from their own biopic unless they're on the production team.

by Anonymousreply 60April 30, 2021 1:16 AM

Honestly Boy George’s story would be much better off as a self-narrated documentary, like The Kid Stays In the Picture.

by Anonymousreply 61April 30, 2021 1:23 AM

John Boyega as Mickey Craig might get the SW fans in the seats. 😆

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 30, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote]Boy George kicked Jon Moss out of the band a couple years

All the hot guys get kicked out of bands.

by Anonymousreply 63April 30, 2021 3:11 AM

It is a wasted opportunity if Sam Smith doesn’t play George. He is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 64May 22, 2021 7:09 PM

Sam Smith makes most people want to vomit.

by Anonymousreply 65May 22, 2021 8:14 PM

Sam may be repulsive as a person,but i think he would be perfect as Boy. Hell,hes been trying to be George for years. Jon Moss was beautiful ,no wonder George couldnt ever seem to get over it or stop trying to make him pay for dumping his ass.

by Anonymousreply 66May 23, 2021 2:26 AM

It's not only Jon Moss. Kirk Brandon was also a target. And there was some therapist's son whom he dubbed Julian in song.

by Anonymousreply 67May 23, 2021 2:30 AM

Have you heard George speak? No way could Sam Smith capture him.

by Anonymousreply 68May 23, 2021 2:30 AM

R68 Why not ? George isnt Oxford educated or anything.Its not like he has a posh accent. Nobody loved Boy George as much as I did,but as I got older I realized his "sense of humor" was really just maliciousness more than wit or charm. Several of his songs however,are on my top playlist and always will be. He was the soundtrack of my 20s ,many of his songs bring back such great memories. Doesnt mean hes not a nasty bitch .

by Anonymousreply 69May 23, 2021 2:42 AM

George is working class. Sam Smith is not. I doubt he could channel George's energy offstage.

by Anonymousreply 70May 23, 2021 2:46 AM

Sam Smith can't act so it's pointless discussing this, plus George was much slimmer than Sam as a young man and downright scrawny as a heroin addict. Douglas Booth already captured his youth. George has been lobbying for Harry Styles (who he loves) to play the role and made sure he presented Styles with his Grammy for Watermelon Sugar, but I think Styles knows they don't look alike enough and has refused the project.

by Anonymousreply 71May 23, 2021 2:36 PM

R71 Sam isn’t fat anymore.

by Anonymousreply 72May 23, 2021 2:43 PM

It's probably Olly Alexander.

by Anonymousreply 73May 23, 2021 2:44 PM

Olly looks nothing like him! Far too short and skinny. George is 6 foot.

by Anonymousreply 74May 23, 2021 2:48 PM

He'll act tall.

by Anonymousreply 75May 23, 2021 2:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!