Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Spice Boys?

In the 1990s-early mid 2000s, the U.K. teemed with overly-tanned, perfumed and groomed young pretty-boys in designer menswear trolling clubs and high streets. Louche, laddy, and a bit lary, these likely lads wanted to live it up and in largesse, the same way that overpaid pro footballers of the time were doing.

Now the subculture has seemingly disappeared, what happened to those young men? (now mostly in their 40s) Is there a similar subculture now? Is or was there a Euro or U.S. equivalent?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 15, 2021 12:43 AM

To clarify, this vintage sociocultural fashion era has nothing to with:

a) prison drugs b) guys who wear Old Spice c) the actual Spice Girls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2021 6:12 PM

"The Spice Boys" were actual footballers. WTH are you going on about. I know the style you refer to, but who called them spice boys?

Circle the Mediterranean from Spain all the way around to Morocco and this style of young man is forever.

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2021 6:26 PM

R2 thanks, yeah, I am aware the Spice Boys look and moniker did start with actual footballers. I linked the article about it above.

Out of the sartorial and lifestyle choices of those footballers came a small subculture of young men who weren’t famous or athletic trying to emulate their style, and that’s what I’m on about.

One doesn’t really see those types of lads around in the U.K. anymore nowadays, however, so I wondered where they all went and why/how the style fell out of favour—I venture that recession/economic downturn in the mid 2000s, the denigration/selling-out of designer fashion since the Millennium (sweatshop labour and shoddy products are a bit of a turn-off), strife between Europe & the U.K. (culminating of course in Brexit), and the globalisation of the Premier League are all contributing factors.

You’re saying that it’s a perennial Euro-Medtrash fashion, then? Sounds accurate. As a follow-up question, why do you suppose that is? What does it signify? I’m genuinely curious why it didn’t stick in Britain for more than several years, but it’s always been on-trend abroad.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2021 7:45 PM

Why does ANY trend come and go? There is no real answer. That is just what trends do. Perhaps this is a partial answer: People are fickle and always in search of something new and different, chasing the next best thing while denigrating things from the past they think are "dated". I think it makes them somehow feel special and superior.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2021 7:57 PM

The English Aristocracy would take the Grand Tour from the 17th - 18th Century. In the 18th Century it went through Switzerland. There were brothers on the carriage routes down to the alps, for instance in Lausanne. Swiss farm boys and farm girls were the delicacy. When the grandees arrived in Torino, Venice or Milan, they were serviced by beautiful slick, urban, extremely fashionable Italian thinks, who worked on commissions for all the luxury trades in these cities.

The slick, fashionable, pretty peacock young man is a part of Mediterranean culture for centuries. It's both masculine and feminine - like the peacock - were the male is the beauty of the species. La Bella Figura is a part of most latin cultures to this day - the imperative to look ones best in public, to put out the best possible image of oneself. It is true through the Levant and across North Africa. Young men want to be impeccably groomed, fashionably dressed, clean if possible, alluring, and of course POLITE and CHARMING.

I think one of the few Northern European cultures that place value on charm through the classes is Ireland. Not so much the other parts of La Bella Figura, for the mass of Irish men. Only British of certain classes had a value on charm and fashionability, until recently. If you go further east, past Germany, you'll find it again in the Poles. Occasionally in Bavarian boys, not so much in Central and Northern German boys.

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2021 9:24 PM

*brothels, not brothers. There were brothels in Switzerland serving the fetish of the alpine twink. But in Italy, you got the peacocks.

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2021 9:26 PM

I guess there might be something to be researched about catholicism and muslim, as opposed to protestant cultures, which rejected flamboyance. And we know Allah wants his faithful to be clean and tidy.

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2021 9:30 PM

catholicism and islam. versus protestantism. might be part of it. I don't know for sure.

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2021 9:30 PM

To be a proper Spiceboy, you need a too-tight department store wardrobe, a too-big flash cunt watch, slicked hair, and a primo tan in a Love Island hue. Even if you’re worth millions, you’ve got to look like you’re only trying to worth that in some ill-conceived tabloid stab at it.

Also, it’s crucial that you act laddy, and prize the Boys/social life above anything else. Your camaraderie and banter is usually homoerotic, but you’ve got to pretend as though you don’t notice that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote] we know All@h wants his faithful to be clean and tidy

Could someone tell this to my squalid Egyptian BIL? He doesn’t seem to know how to clean a living space, sanitise his gym equipment, or aim for the bowl. He had servants growing up, so he’s way too pampered.

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2021 8:19 PM

Every year LOVE ISLAND always has at least a couple of Spiceboys in their cast, and they’re always all over each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2021 7:23 PM

The band Blue are quintessential Spiceboys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2021 6:04 PM

I'm not seeing any pretty boys in OP's picture.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2021 6:15 PM

R13 it helps to be pretty or handsome as a Spiceboy, but it’s not a pre-requisite.

As long as you do the best you can with flaunting what you’ve got (fake tan, teeth bleached, tight clothes, tits out) and you’ve got at least one really fit mate that you’re seen with often out on the town, you’re golden.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2021 7:10 PM

Can someone pls compare and contrast Spiceboy vs Chav vs Towie cast members? I think Towie cast member and Spice boy might be the same..?

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2021 7:52 PM

Who is the ugly one in the pic with the striped tie? He definitely has BDF. The ugly ones are very often hung like mules.

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2021 8:17 PM

R16 Robbie Fowler having a massive cock? Oh my days I’m crying😂😆😂

Though I guess the joke’s on me cuz the man’s got as much money as the Pope...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2021 8:25 PM

R17 You must know him I guess, in the biblical sense perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2021 9:03 PM

R15 think of it this way: all Spiceboys are chavs, but not all chavs are Spiceboys.

There are many subcultural subsets of chav all along a spectrum, and a Spiceboy may be found toward the more affluent end of that spectrum. A Spiceboy has cash to splash, a well-paid job, a willingness to perform ‘taste’, and an ersatz sense of rising above his own class thanks to that, though really there’s no escaping chavdom.

Male TOWIE cast members are indeed scrubbed-up, well-off and well-paid chavs, so while YMMV I would say they count as Spiceboys.

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2021 9:23 AM

Fowler is a massive homophobe, though.

by Anonymousreply 20May 28, 2021 10:44 AM

R19 thanks for breaking it down!

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2021 11:00 AM

R20 seriously? Do we have receipts?

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2021 11:33 AM

The Brits are so bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2021 11:40 AM

R 20, during a match he used homophobic gestures to a rival player Graeme Le Saux (who wasn't gay but who read the Guardian, so was - you know - obviously a pansy) and there was a big fuss, so he had to a high-profile tv non-apology ('I'm sorry if people were upset...').

by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2021 2:17 PM

It's so adorable when Brits talk amongst themselves. It's almost like real people talking.

by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2021 2:28 PM

R25 It’s as if people are listening and caring!

by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2021 2:39 PM

R25/R26 alright, lads, leave off. You can give it all the mouth you like, but when it comes down to it, we’ve got what you like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2021 2:48 PM

I don't think these Spice Boys sound much like the type of glossy peacock I associate with Latin and Mediterranean cultures.

by Anonymousreply 28May 28, 2021 2:50 PM

News to me. We frequented different clubs it seems.

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2021 8:00 PM

[quote] during a match Fowler used homophobic gestures to a rival player Graeme Le Saux (who wasn't gay but who read the Guardian, so was - you know - obviously a pansy) and there was a big fuss.

This happened during a Liverpool vs. Chelsea fixture c. 1999. Fowler bent over on the pitch in Graeme’s direction, displaying his arse as an insinuation and a taunt, to seemingly no reaction. Later in the match, however, Graeme retaliated by smashing a forearm into the back of Robbie’s head, for which Graeme got sent off. Different times.

by Anonymousreply 30June 15, 2021 12:21 AM

I'm a fan of suit dudes, but in this case... no. Pass!

by Anonymousreply 31June 15, 2021 12:39 AM

[quote] Louche, laddy, and a bit lary, these likely lads wanted to live it up and in largesse,

See ya later, alliterator!

by Anonymousreply 32June 15, 2021 12:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!