Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just found out that remote work is OVER

I’ve been on a 50% in the office schedule. It was just announced that all employees must return to 100% office work. Fuck. I have been getting so much more done without having to get ready, make lunches, and a long daily commute.

Yes, I know I should be happy to have a job, and many people have never been able to work from home. I’ll get over it. But TODAY can I be pissed???

by Anonymousreply 299August 12, 2021 12:54 AM

Why can’t these companies have ONE thing that makes them happy? If people want to work remotely and the quality of work isn’t suffering, what’s wrong with letting it continue? Plus people save time commuting and save money on gas and lunches.

I wish employees would revolt.

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2021 6:26 PM

I hear you. I've been job hunting but the idea of having to go back into an office terrifies me.

I am so much more relaxed and less stressed now. The only reason I'm looking for something else is that my hours have been reduced to part time.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2021 6:26 PM

*Let people have ONE thing

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2021 6:26 PM

Who is your boss?

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2021 6:27 PM

My employer has put us on notice that we're due back in the office in July. I feel like I did as a kid when summer was coming to an end. It's been good while it lasted.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2021 6:28 PM

Yes, you can be pissed today. I would be.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2021 6:28 PM

My employer will want us back but I think "flex time" is here to stay. We are NYC based and we have always had a summer Friday program. I think they will give us more work from home day options but I don't see them giving us a 100% remote option.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2021 6:33 PM

I have been told that while yes, my work is as great as ever, since not everyone can do their job from home, that neither can I. You know, the usual HR shit. have more seniority than almost everyone there. I am about to have a brand new boss, and I think I will wait and talk to them. They are coming in from the outside, but they know me from industry circles, and were actually on the committee for an award I won not long ago. Maybe I’ll have a chance. I don’t even want to ask for total telework, but at least a percentage.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2021 6:33 PM

I’ve already decided I’m quitting if my company does this.

I have some money saved up until I find another remote position.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2021 6:34 PM

I still haven’t received that dreaded call back to the office. I do IT stuff and hav been able to work from home since March of 2020. I am hoping they decide that my position can continue to work remotely, but I know others from my department who have already returned. I guess I will just enjoy working from home while it lasts.

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2021 6:35 PM

Which would you rather: 100% remote but a 25% pay reduction, or same salary but back in office full time.

I'd choose pay reduction.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2021 6:35 PM

What kind of safety guarantees can employers make to their staff? Will they make proof of vaccination a demand for everyone onsite? (Imagine if just one employee fakes it.) What about new strains of COVID?

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2021 6:35 PM

I can't wait to be back in the office full-time. I'm tired of sharing my condo all day with my husband and dog, and I don't feel like I'm 'connecting' at all with my co-workers. I want to retire in a couple of years, but I'd rather spend those years working in person with other people, at least most days of the week.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2021 6:37 PM

I would chose pay reduction and live somewhere much more affordable with a better quality of life.

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2021 6:37 PM

I would totally accept a pay reduction to work from home.

by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2021 6:38 PM

You'll eventually adjust and then get use to it again. I dread it also but know that I've done it 95% before for > 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2021 6:42 PM

R13 - I am among the few probably who agrees with you. Hate work from home. At least 100% at home. I think companies should do either flex or let the majority rule. The way things are going at my company, the dingbats in Snata Barbara are getting canned and replaced with IT and other staff all over Eastern Europe and India. They keep saying they like work from home, but this is making the owners aware that they can get the same result from someone far more remote at a fraction of the cost of pay and insurance.

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2021 6:49 PM

A three day in, two day home schedule would be best for me. I think it would be for our society to go totally remote. Now that fewer people have religion or know their neighbors, work is one of the few ways people make friends. And, working in an office helps in mentorship opportunities and is great for people who really thrive in soft skills. But, a 5 day a work week really is a grind. I would like to be able to work from home on Fridays and perhaps Wednesday. I would come in on Thursday to finish up any odds and ends, then work from home on friday and not have to rush home for shabbat.

by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2021 7:24 PM

R18 - perfectly said. But until corporations and their dingbat owners and employees realize this...we will be "sweet memory" to the working world...hell, we'll be dead.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2021 7:30 PM

I think it’s just bad business when employers don’t implement telework. When you give people the option to work from home you can have a more productive work force, save money on rent, utilities, and office supplies.

In 20 years from now we will probably look back and laugh at the fact that telework was not an option.

by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2021 7:33 PM

[quote]But TODAY can I be pissed???

On breaks and during lunch.

by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2021 7:43 PM

Let's just cut to the point here. Those of us that have been able to work remotely through this pandemic, your job has been outsourced.

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2021 7:52 PM

I’m lucky that I can walk to the office in about 6 - 7 minutes. I’m looking forward to it, to guide me through this passage of life.

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2021 7:55 PM

That’s one of the biggest issues. The drive. I can’t live closer to work. And the older I get, the more I hate to drive. Sigh. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 24April 26, 2021 7:58 PM

[quote]I’ve been on a 50% in the office schedule

This is the issue with OP's employer. They aren't saving on office space/rent by requiring 50%. I've said this before, but my employer used to lease 9 stories of a ten story building. We are down to 2 floors. They are not going to make people come back. The savings is just too good.

by Anonymousreply 25April 26, 2021 7:58 PM

Only narcissists miss being at the office because there are no victims to feed on while at home.

by Anonymousreply 26April 26, 2021 8:08 PM

I wouldn't count on anything returning to normal just yet. July may as well be a lifetime away.

by Anonymousreply 27April 26, 2021 8:13 PM

My condolences, OP. At least you found out that you are disciplined enough to WFH. I would hate a long commute 5X per week. Can you look for another job where you can work at least part-time from home?

by Anonymousreply 28April 26, 2021 8:16 PM

I could actually draw a pension now. Won’t be enough to live on at the moment, and I’m “only” 53...but I could draw that and get another job without a commute and less drama. I do my job, very well, am very well liked, and I just want to do my job and be left alone. I am the only one who can do most of my job. If I’m off for a big chunk of time, a ton of stuff doesn’t get done. We have lost many people this past year, so you’d think they would try to accommodate a long term, problem free employee. I’ve also never asked for special treatment or pushed for any big raises (even though I’ve gotten a couple). I’m going to try to suck it up for a while but if I’m still miserable, I’m going to have a serious conversation with them.

by Anonymousreply 29April 26, 2021 8:26 PM

I think I am staying remote. My boss has indicated our team might not be going back in.

by Anonymousreply 30April 26, 2021 8:28 PM

If they told me I had to go back to the office I'd quite this job. I never knew life could be this good. I'd take a lower salary before returning fulltime.

by Anonymousreply 31April 26, 2021 8:28 PM

Quit* ugh autocorrect

by Anonymousreply 32April 26, 2021 8:29 PM

R29 - may as well try. I hate work from home but I do sympathize 100% with the commute. Ugh, that is the one thing I don't miss about LA...I seriously prefer a 7 minute bus ride in Eastern Europe or walking through snow 30 minutes. At least I am not stuck on the 405. I wish you luck!

by Anonymousreply 33April 26, 2021 8:30 PM

Offering a 25% reduction in pay to work from home makes zero sense. The employer is saving more than that by not having employees at the office in reduced electricity costs, water, etc. They should actually pay those working from home more money because we are using our own electricity to run the computer and using our own personal space as an office. If this working from home becomes permanent I will ask for more $ to compensate me for my own computer use and space.

by Anonymousreply 34April 26, 2021 8:32 PM

It disgusts me that most corporations' and institutions' (hello, universities) stance is to pretend that the past year never happened and attempt to regress to exactly as things were before. Fuck that. Why have we all gone through this hell if we can't effect some systemic change from it??

Yes, I am shopping for a fully remote job and yes I will quit before I go back to the office 100% again.

by Anonymousreply 35April 26, 2021 8:33 PM

Recent studies have shown that productivity has gone up during the pandemic and people get more done at home.

by Anonymousreply 36April 26, 2021 8:36 PM

I wish I could find remote work. I have saved money on metrocards since this job don't give raises. I live in NYC and there are still organizations that do not give out raises. I am actively looking for a new job. Hate going into office five times a week and dealing with cunt employees and clients I could care less about.

by Anonymousreply 37April 26, 2021 8:38 PM

We were told we would come back in in Sept, since we are moving offices. We would be working on a rotation basis. Now suddenly we are being told we have to start going back in later this month and that eventually we will have to be in the office all the time.

This has to have something to do with the NYC office landlords. There is some behind the scenes fuckery for sure.

BUT there are jobs advertising remote work. That will give those companies an advantage as to recruiting .

Also, 20% of my department refuses to get the vaccine .

by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2021 8:40 PM

[quote] so you’d think they would try to accommodate a long term, problem free employee.

That's what you'd think. In reality, that's the type of worker they take for granted (no drama).

by Anonymousreply 39April 26, 2021 8:41 PM

I condole you, OP. Although I do so a bit smugly. I have been working from home 100% since Christmas, and have just been told we are expected in the office two days per week from June. The bosses are currently reviewing that to see if it can be brought down further. One of the two office buildings which the company leases is coming up for renewal next spring, and rumour has it the company will not be exercising its option. 🤡

by Anonymousreply 40April 26, 2021 8:43 PM

I do wonder how many big money landlords have put the knife to politicians and their buddies who are ceos - bring your workers back to our towers!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 41April 26, 2021 8:55 PM

Some employers own the building, so they're not losing money by having the workers back inside.

Also, some employers got stuck in long-term leases. A friend of mine is renting a small office space and got stuck in her lease even though she's working remote now. Maybe people feel the need to use the office since they're paying for it.

by Anonymousreply 42April 26, 2021 9:00 PM

I agree with R1. For over a year, a lot of people were working remotely without any problems, for the most part. It should be an option for employees to work from home...or work from home a couple of days, then go to the office other days. It's better for the mental health of some people. It's convenient and is less traffic, less emissions for the environment. If some people want to go back to the office, then that's fine, too. Companies now know how it can be successful. It's been tested for over a year.

by Anonymousreply 43April 26, 2021 9:05 PM

I am currently fully remote but have been told I will have to go in for at least two days a week beginning in late summer. I wish they would give me the option to reduce my salary to be fully remote. I would do it in a heartbeat.

I am vaccinated and no longer worried about dying from COVID. But they have only scratched the surface about the long-term effects of the virus, even folks with minimal symptoms requiring no hospitalization. I think they are finding out that there are a lot more impacts to the population - particularly with respect to cardiovascular events such as strokes. It seems silly to me that they will not let those who can work from home continue to do so at least until we have more info. Or, make it a federal mandate for companies to revamp their air filtration systems now that we know precisely how COVID is spread.

by Anonymousreply 44April 26, 2021 9:12 PM

[quote]But TODAY can I be pissed???

Yes, but just for the day. After that, back to the salt mines with you, slave. Be sure to smile while you work.

by Anonymousreply 45April 26, 2021 9:15 PM

You bitches can work from home all You want now that employers know they can outsource your shitty little office jobs. When the dust settles, there will be hundreds of millions of hungry Indians to do your jobs.

Too bad you're all too old and decrepit to sell your nasty asses from home. Sho hate it for ya.

by Anonymousreply 46April 26, 2021 9:22 PM

OP, don’t postpone that talk — get down to business right away, tell them you much prefer to work most of the week from home.

Nothing to lose, lots to gain.

by Anonymousreply 47April 26, 2021 9:28 PM

R46 assumes we are all in customer service jobs...and to be honest, Indians are really not good at those, at least as far as their English is concerned. Their answers are often convoluted and don’t really answer the question. Many jobs require clear and concise writing. Those jobs cannot be performed by your typical cheap Mumbai worker.

by Anonymousreply 48April 26, 2021 9:31 PM

Some employer will fire an employee who wants to work from home. I work for a shitty non profit organization. I hate having to go back to that lousy office setting job. Most of the employees are immigrants from the Caribbean and I cant stand those cunts. Since some are eager to return back to the office. Middle aged people are the worst when it comes to taking a stand.

by Anonymousreply 49April 26, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote] work from home on friday and not have to rush home for shabbat.

Shabbat? Is that on Hulu?

by Anonymousreply 50April 26, 2021 9:33 PM

Are you kidding meeeee? You think things are just fine with the work-at-home paradigm? Things have never been so FUBAR with just about every organization and entity that I've had to deal with, from suppliers, to government offices, to all manner of customer service! Nothing but problems and incompetence with just about every single call to remedy the SHITSHOW that has been since work-at-home started. I can't even imagine how a company can maintain let alone police their corporate culture and protect their brand value with some of you slobs!

by Anonymousreply 51April 26, 2021 9:44 PM

R34 Good luck with that. Most people I know are glad to be working at home saving both money and time. Commuting adds about an hour's time on each end of the day saving $ on gas, tolls and parking And in the Northeast where I live not having to worry about inclement weather, snow, traffic and the morons on the road. They are sleeping later, spending les and dry cleaning and lunch and when they are finished work they are home.at all the idiots on the road.

by Anonymousreply 52April 26, 2021 9:50 PM

R51. You slave culture. Corporate culture that benefits the company and fucks over the employees. I really don't care about some company since some are shitty.

by Anonymousreply 53April 26, 2021 9:58 PM

Work at home makes it waaay easier to steal your paychecks. Sorry, not sorry.

by Anonymousreply 54April 26, 2021 10:01 PM

R54 has never heard of direct deposit

by Anonymousreply 55April 26, 2021 10:04 PM

That's not what I'm talking about. Steal as in take a paycheck for doing very little or nothing.

by Anonymousreply 56April 26, 2021 10:05 PM

That is easily tracked R56 no matter where you are.

How does being in an office change that? Does your boss literally look over your cubicle wall to make sure you are working? If you are thinking that you can just take off and take a 3 hours lunch ... that is not the way it works.

They can track how often keystrokes are made. IM applications can “yellow out” (being away status) after so long (and the employee can’t change the settings). Your boss can IM you and if you don’t answer for two hours, then there is a red flag right there.

by Anonymousreply 57April 26, 2021 10:12 PM

I posted at R2. I get to work from home indefinitely if I want, but my hours were cut back over half.

Within the time i posted, I was contacted by a recruiter about a job I'm perfect for, would want me to start immediately, and pays 70% MORE than what I was making before the salary cut.

But, it would be in office, and an hour drive commute each way. Ugh.

Before the pandemic, I would be ecstatic and jump at the opportunity. But I'm not excited about it at all, I'd rather keep working from home even if it means less money.

I calculated how much money I save each month by not commuting to a job and it's over $1,000/mo!

by Anonymousreply 58April 26, 2021 10:13 PM

^^ correction, my hours were cut by ALMOST half.

by Anonymousreply 59April 26, 2021 10:15 PM

I can see both sides of it. There's definitely less rush hour traffic, but a huge uptick in regular traffic all hours of the day. I'm guessing it's people that aren't on an exact schedule, but more quantity based, having more day time to do running, or all the people on unemployment (I can't tell). Has made shopping and other necessities pure Hell.

If people are in their houses day doing their work though? I'm all for it. Less pollution and saving money. I've been a long time advocate for 3 or 4 day a week schedules, to give people more free time. The 5 days a week is wearing.

by Anonymousreply 60April 26, 2021 10:18 PM

The only drawback to working from home are the young kids who live across the street from me. After school they are outside yelling and screaming while playing and it can be heard if I'm on a call.

Summers are worse, it goes on ALL. DAMN. DAY.

by Anonymousreply 61April 26, 2021 10:23 PM

And I don't even think it's better for companies to have people at work if they don't need to be, but our social structures/ economy demands it -- keeps cities lucrative, industries thriving (traveling, cars, oil, landlords, etc.), and executes a certain type of control over employees, you won't get with having at home workers.

It's very unfortunate for those that like being home. Too bad it wasn't some major companies, so people happy at home could apply to them knowing that perk.

by Anonymousreply 62April 26, 2021 10:25 PM

R61 good point. I can see why people in cramped spaces, or loud neighbors, wouldn't love it. I'd feel different if I lived in a small apartment vs a decent sized home with a big yard.

by Anonymousreply 63April 26, 2021 10:27 PM

You can't flirt, you can't bond, you can't commiserate, you can't show off new shoes, you can't share a site gag, discover a new sandwich shop, people watch, suck up to the boss, or even engage in some life-affirming gossip or office drama. You're. Stuck. At. Home.

by Anonymousreply 64April 26, 2021 10:29 PM

I work in NYC - our company is beginning to return for people who "want to come in the office" in June. They are being cagey about plans for any kind of flexible WFH once we return to "normal" (likely Sept.) I think it will hurt the company and make them less competitive. People are already to join competitors who are offering more flexibility.

by Anonymousreply 65April 26, 2021 10:34 PM

I will say that I’ve worked from home for years (pre-Covid) and being single, it can get ... weird.

Depending on how up to date I am on grocery shopping, there were/are times I didn’t leave the house (or shower) for weeks.

Now add in Instacart or Walmart delivery ... there were times where my parents were concerned. I would go weeks on end without actually seeing another person (though I am on the phone all day).

by Anonymousreply 66April 26, 2021 10:35 PM

[quote]This has to have something to do with the NYC office landlords. There is some behind the scenes fuckery for sure.

actually, there was a story in the NYT about the city pressuring businesses to bring people back to work because the city is dying without the foot traffic of all the commuters, so there probably is something to that

Ironically, prior to the pandemic, the military base I work on (I'm a contractor) was pushing towards telework; they have huge space issues in aging buildings and reducing the onsite workforce cuts costs, decreases traffic, etc. As a result, I don't think I'll be forced to go back, but will probably settle into some hybrid where certain people/groups are in the office certain days. While I like teleworking, long term I think it's better if your customer/employer occasionally sees your face

by Anonymousreply 67April 26, 2021 10:37 PM

[quote]Now that fewer people have religion or know their neighbors, work is one of the few ways people make friends. And, working in an office helps in mentorship opportunities and is great for people who really thrive in soft skills.

Yes, let's turn everything over to our employees: work, income, socializing, "soft skills"...

Soft skills? What's the point? I'm not buying a suit or a condo from a coworker, why should I care about their soft skills beyond being competent and professional and helpful? And mentoring is just for suck ups who want to advance via drinking Six Sigma and Agile Kool-Aid in lieu of actual knowledge or skills.

Why not have our employers assign hobbies and take the place if Grindr and Tinder? And let them serve as our banking institutions and lenders?

by Anonymousreply 68April 26, 2021 10:47 PM

[quote]actually, there was a story in the NYT about the city pressuring businesses to bring people back to work because the city is dying without the foot traffic of all the commuters, so there probably is something to that

This is, perhaps not easily (or cheaply), solved simply by turning empty commercial space into affordable rental units. Especially in places like NYC or San Francisco where people would kill to live in (for whatever crazy reason).

by Anonymousreply 69April 26, 2021 10:48 PM

Working from home you can't congregate, innovate and brainstorm, nor fully participate in life -- of which work is a huge part. And I need 10 new ideas from each of you for tomorrow's afternoon meeting at Slugger's Cafe.

by Anonymousreply 70April 26, 2021 10:48 PM

Go make yourself another highball Don & be glad there is a legitimate reason to avoid Peggy

by Anonymousreply 71April 26, 2021 11:02 PM

R66 Maybe you're single because you don't shower for weeks at a time? No one's going to be running toward your crotch with that kind of funk going on.

by Anonymousreply 72April 26, 2021 11:02 PM

OP What industry are you in if you don't mind me asking. Finance here in NYC and Sept is our time to "slowly" start going in on a supposedly voluntary basis at first then moving to a hybrid model. But what exactly that model is yet (1-3 days a week or on a monthly basis), senior management doesn't know.

I think they are waiting until the last possible moment to make a decision to avoid some mistake in one direction or another. It's really pissing staff off though.

by Anonymousreply 73April 26, 2021 11:06 PM

Pretty sure we are not going to be required to go back to our branch (loan processing). we have been entirely remove since mid March of last year, and our Operations Manager moved 115 miles away to Roseville CA. Plus, several of our processors were already remote from other parts of the country and our company's headquarters are in Florida. We have branches all over the country. But our particular group i think will be allowed to continue. We have completely adjusted to working remotely and there really is no need for us to be in the office. In fact, i'm planning on moving back to the East Coast this year some time and i've already let them know it.

by Anonymousreply 74April 26, 2021 11:08 PM

Every job that is remote - even doctors and lawyers working offsite - can be done more affordably by smart, English-fluent people in India, Africa, and Eastern Europe.

And some jobs require much less English-fluency, e.g., coding.

White collar jobs are fucked, and it will be in our lifetimes when we begin to see that.

by Anonymousreply 75April 26, 2021 11:14 PM

Jobs that require a security clearance can't be outsourced to other countries.

by Anonymousreply 76April 26, 2021 11:16 PM

Agreed; all the jobs that support those, though, can be.

by Anonymousreply 77April 26, 2021 11:23 PM

[quote] Every job that is remote - even doctors and lawyers working offsite - can be done more affordably by smart, English-fluent people in India, Africa, and Eastern Europe.

Except that lawyers have to pass bar exams.

by Anonymousreply 78April 26, 2021 11:27 PM

Nothing will fuck a country like an idle population, R75. I just don't see it. It's not why we fought Tojo and Hitler. Who's going for more ice?

by Anonymousreply 79April 26, 2021 11:29 PM

Taking a cut in pay for working at home wouldn't be too bad. You're saving gas, less wear and tear on your car. If you pay tolls, then that drops down. Commutes by train or bus would be cut also, saving a lot of money. Not to mention how much less stress that would be....not sitting in traffic or running to catch your transportation. No more worrying if something runs late...making you late for work. It would be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 80April 26, 2021 11:30 PM

Second those who say July is a long way away and this virus might have more life in it yet...

by Anonymousreply 81April 26, 2021 11:30 PM

r78, there are tons of lawyers in India and other countries who can review a contract for a fraction of the price of an American attorney without ever taking an American bar exam.

by Anonymousreply 82April 26, 2021 11:33 PM

I’m lucky. Office is a short drive each way from home. I hate working at home. Miss the people and the work place camaraderie, the chance to exchange ideas, suggestions, share a joke, company is the lunch room.

by Anonymousreply 83April 26, 2021 11:34 PM

R7 sounds like my company. Digital Ad Agency in NYC. Same deal.

by Anonymousreply 84April 26, 2021 11:34 PM

yeah, it seems like as a culture and an economy we could rethink things after covid showed that some old rules don't really apply, like the need to chain everyone to cubicles all day wrong, but that would take middle managers and HR types who aren't completely brain dead. So it probably won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 85April 26, 2021 11:40 PM

That may be r75. We may need to move toward some kind of basic income in this country. Get away from the idea that all profits must congeal at the top as a sacred doctrine, while all wages are driven down the lowest level in the world, and start to spread that money around by fiat. The wingnuts and the 1 percent won't like it, but their needs and whims shouldn't always be the final say.

by Anonymousreply 86April 26, 2021 11:45 PM

Same here R65. I'm in NYC too.

by Anonymousreply 87April 26, 2021 11:48 PM

I was unofficially WFH prior to Covid. Three or 4 times a month, I would drag myself into the office. Late last year, I switched to WFH officially and now don't have to make a weekly appearance. It's quibbling but I still have to go in occasionally to pick up mail (work with government agencies and they still send paper checks), which prevents me from traveling freely. I hate the job but am afraid I won't be able to find another WFH job at similar pay.

WFH 100% does have its downside--I do feel the little business professional demeanor I had has slowly fallen by the way side. And I wish I was better at motivating myself to take a break and go outside every day. It's easy to stay indoor all day and then have dinner/read DL and forgo stepping out and next you know, it's bedtime.

by Anonymousreply 88April 26, 2021 11:51 PM

I jush found thish on YouTubes I'm sure you'll all rememmber remembber recall it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 26, 2021 11:56 PM

R83. Lucky you. Not everyone enjoys been around other employees. Most people hate the people they work with and their boss.

by Anonymousreply 90April 26, 2021 11:57 PM

I think your employer is being premature. On one hand we're told there may be another wave coming, resulting from the convergence of COVID variants, 40 percent vaccine reluctance, and many unable to access vaccinations as a result of lack of technology or whatever; and on the other, we're told problem solved and let's return to "normal". Meanwhile, places like India and Brazil are in terrible shape and are generating new variants, some of which may be immune to any developed vaccine. My partner works for a global pharmaceutical company, and they've been informed employees will be returning to work in September, but that this date is contingent.

by Anonymousreply 91April 27, 2021 12:06 AM

Hybrid, for most companies and industries, should be the norm.

Not only does it save the company money in terms of resources and space needed, but it can improve employee happiness.

However, not everyone is able to do it. Furthermore, not everyone has a job that actually "ends" after the hours of "9-5" and for those people working from home (when they are zero boundaries) can be hell.

I started working from home with one of my old jobs because I was always dealing with clients in Australia, the UK, Ireland, parts of Russia, etc. and my hours were all over the place. So by working from home I could be up when I needed to sleep when I had time. That didn't stop my boss from contacting me at all hours of the day. He burned me out and I started going back in and handed off most of my clients to other people. It was nice to say at 5:30, "BYE!"

On the other hand I have a friend who "codes" for a major tech company and not only does she never go into work but she moved to Europe. Her goal was to spend a few months in various cities she's always wanted to see. She has ended up staying over there for the past three years. She's always on a beach, at a cafe or hanging out in some remote village somewhere meeting "charming" new people. She's living the life. The point is: she does her job well and she doesn't have to go in every day. For some jobs it's possible.

by Anonymousreply 92April 27, 2021 12:21 AM

I suspect for a lot of jobs it's possible r92, but people have to stop pretending it's 1955 forever and ever and ever.

by Anonymousreply 93April 27, 2021 2:50 AM

We're supposed to go back in September and I'm dreading the fuck out of it.

by Anonymousreply 94April 27, 2021 5:23 AM

Agree with R47. Don't delay in stating what you want OP (though I would keep your alternate plan under wraps for the moment.)

Space considerations will be an issue at many offices. My company used "the incalculable value" of in-office "collaboration" as an excuse to fire (or force relocation) of many full-time remote workers with seniority and experience (and higher salaries that were indeed calculable) just before Covid. Many companies will hesitate to expand leased space as they might have done in the past.

During Covid, the senior execs (none of whom live in any of the countries where the company has a working presence) were shocked that everything didn't go to shit when everything was done remotely. Having postponed a return to the offices 4 times, they are now saying it won't be before October, and it will be rotational, and remote work will be a major component affecting almost everyone.

Conveniently a few major leases came due for renewal during Covid and all were let expire. For the main locations there is half the previous occupancy available and there will be less when remodelling to provide more open space between staff is completed.

Before the firings my immediate group of a dozen or so people were in as many states and countries; not one had any proper office location but his home office. Now they will go back to a similar arrangement for as long as leases extend and then scale back further. The replacement hires, younger, less experienced, less compensated staff all live within expensive urban centers so that they can commute to offices too small to accommodate them; and they have begun to grumble about cost of living for cities where they no longer need to live.

by Anonymousreply 95April 27, 2021 6:03 AM

Nope R75. Smart, English-fluent Indians are not common and not cheap. The cheap ones suck, at least as far as lawyers are concerned. I’ve had to manage them. The work product may be less expensive but it isn’t worth the money you do pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 96April 27, 2021 8:40 AM

R82 and will do it incorrectly. Sloppy work isn’t worth paying for when it comes to contracts.

by Anonymousreply 97April 27, 2021 8:44 AM

R38

Not so much NYC landlords are pushing for businesses to bring workers back, but mayor and rest city government and or Albany as well.

Trickle down effect from thousands of employees working from home has caused economic pain across a broad spectrum of sectors. Everything from dry cleaners/laundries to food and retail.

Streets of UES, UWS, and some other areas are bustling with people; but much of mid-town, Wall Street, and even Tribeca and Soho are largely empty of people other than residents.

by Anonymousreply 98April 27, 2021 9:56 AM

[quote]Which would you rather: 100% remote but a 25% pay reduction, or same salary but back in office full time. I'd choose pay reduction.

Absolutely I’d take a 25% pay reduction. The cost of gas, lunches, and most importantly, peace of mind and less stress would make up for the pay reduction.

by Anonymousreply 99April 27, 2021 10:01 AM

[quote]work is one of the few ways people make friends.

Ya’ll are gonna learn one day. There’s a great saying: “You’re coworkers are NOT your friends. Get your money and go home!”

by Anonymousreply 100April 27, 2021 10:04 AM

Returning to a cubicle farm in May. Per office gossip, maybe just maybe we have 40% vaccination rate.

So disconcerting. Folks are like Nah,, not getting the shot I will get sick or I don’t get the flu shot!

Hope to weed out some deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 101April 27, 2021 11:48 AM

I would take a 25% pay reduction, yes. I'm salaried but if I was counting the hours saved from getting dressed, packing lunch, and commuting as part of my work day it would work out to be about that much time I was saving. Not to mention money saved on gas, wear and tear on car, restaurant food because I didn't have time or energy to cook etc.

I have lost 60 pounds since beginning work from home. A combination of cooking for myself and excercising every day. I never had the time and energy to do that going to the office. This lifestyle is better for me than having a little more money is.

by Anonymousreply 102April 27, 2021 12:18 PM

I’m currently doing two days in the office, three at home. It was one day in the office previously and I loved it -it was actually very hard to come back for two days.

Now I've been asked to come back three days, and it’s so annoying. I’m not more productive in the office, I don’t particularly enjoy it, and only seniors and the vulnerable are being vaccinated right now in my country . I don’t think we should return till the vaccination is fully rolled out. I haven’t been in the office full-time since March last year and am dreading it.

by Anonymousreply 103April 27, 2021 12:22 PM

R13 - it sounds like you like your co-workers more than your husband/dog!

by Anonymousreply 104April 27, 2021 12:44 PM

As for taking a 25% pay reduction to work from home, I understand and agree even -- if that was the only choice. But why should you pay for the privilege of saving your employer money? And could many companies have the nerve to claim that claim the costs of managing WFH employees is not offset many times over by savings from reduced commercial space rental?

The cost of having a physical location doesn't disappear entirely, of course. Maybe there are new costs for shipping laptops back and forth to WFH employees, for example, but such new costs pale against sustaining a cost of $4000 to $15,000 average per employee in a rented office space (based on a low of $4194 in Atlanta to $14,800 in NYC in 2015, see separate post below.)

[quote]The Cost of Office Space Per Employee: A Conservative Estimate

[quote]To determine the cost of one vacant desk or workstation, you first need to know the annual cost of renting office space. Commercial real estate costs vary widely depending on location—ranging from a high of $83 per square foot in Midtown Manhattan to just $17.93 in Louisville, according to JLL’s Q3 2018 office outlook.In the third quarter of 2018, the average asking lease rates across the United States was $34 per square foot.

[quote]Of course, you also need to factor in the cost of utilities. The 3-30-300 rule illustrates the relationship between utilities, rent and payroll, which adds another $3.40 per square foot. Now you need to consider the size of the average workstation. According to JLL, the average workstation is between 40-50 square feet—about half the size it was a decade ago. Let’s assume yours is somewhere in between—45 square feet.

[quote]Now we’ll do the math: ($34 + $3.40 = $37.40) x 45 = $1,683.

[quote]That may not seem like a lot. But that’s not accounting for furniture, technology or other amenities that are part of the space. It also doesn’t factor in the cost of maintaining that space and related spaces, like the restrooms, employee break room and equipment such as printers and copiers.

[quote]The estimated the average annualized workstation cost to a business is much higher, approximately $18,000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 27, 2021 12:53 PM

Some 2015 figures for average cost per employee for leased space, by selected cities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106April 27, 2021 12:55 PM

The issue is that for a broad swathe of people, 5 day work weeks are Dickensian — as outdated as 12 hour days on looms. The western world is long overdue for 4 day work weeks, and they will increase the sum of human happiness.

by Anonymousreply 107April 27, 2021 1:19 PM

I have another ten years of work, when hopefully, I'll have enough to retire. Four day work week becoming mainstream within the next few years isn't likely which is depressing. I'd love having 3 day weekends. At this point, I start getting depressed by Saturday afternoon because the one true day off is halfway done. Sundays aren't really free because I'm already running errands and doing chores to be ready for work on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 108April 27, 2021 3:26 PM

Wonder if companies are regretting the stupid ass open workspace floor plans they’ve implemented in recent years.😏 Dumbasses are going to have to spend even money to put up cubicles with high walls again.

by Anonymousreply 109April 27, 2021 3:41 PM

[quote]I hate working at home. Miss the people and the work place camaraderie, the chance to exchange ideas, suggestions, share a joke, company is the lunch room.

You are the employee that the rest of us all despise. I’m guessing you don’t do much at work and spend most of your time annoying everyone with stories about what you did the evening before and planning the next potluck and happy hour.

by Anonymousreply 110April 27, 2021 3:44 PM

That's just the bullshit consulting companies who offer world class advice on workplace environments every few years. Doesn't matter if it contradicts what they espoused 5 years ago. They get paid for more consulting. I'm sure they are deploying their mighty MBAs across the globe to consult us on how to work in post pandemic world. Their latest advice is probably hermetically sealed bubbles for everyone. They get paid, highly recommended bubble manufacturers get paid.

by Anonymousreply 111April 27, 2021 3:50 PM

R111 I can make their job easy with a great suggestion: leave us the fuck alone and let us continue working remotely!

These companies are so stupid. They’re always wanting to cut costs and here’s there chance. Get rid of most of their buildings and they will save millions on rent and utilities.

by Anonymousreply 112April 27, 2021 3:56 PM

Fuck you r112, if we don't "consult" we don't get paid!

by Anonymousreply 113April 27, 2021 3:58 PM

OP here. I appreciate all the input. I can't really go into specifics about my job since I *know* there are people I know on DL. Suffice to say, I work for the government--sort of. We are ultimately ruled by politicians who are conservative and want us to go back to "normal". I don't think they would have a clue if I worked from home or not, but the people above me are scared shitless. I am in office today (on lunch break). It's not really bad once I'm here, since I have my own office...it's the commute that gets me.

by Anonymousreply 114April 27, 2021 5:25 PM

Those English-affluent outsourced employees aren't as English affluent as they need to be. It is very very difficult to become fluent enough in a second language to be able to communicate technical words effectively. There's a reason those jobs have not been outsourced completely despite outsourcing having been around for almost three decades now.

by Anonymousreply 115April 27, 2021 6:38 PM

Lmao meant to say fluent

by Anonymousreply 116April 27, 2021 8:02 PM

OP, if you work for the government, I can see how your employer could be inflexible. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 117April 27, 2021 8:04 PM

Meanwhile one of my reports just learned someone else in my department is working 4 days / week and now my report wants to as well.

I’m sure it’ll get out and then everyone will want a M-Th workweek except me.

by Anonymousreply 118April 27, 2021 8:07 PM

[quote]OP, if you work for the government, I can see how your employer could be inflexible. Sorry.

Held he/she works for the government, they’re going to have a great pension (which most people don’t get anymore) when they retire, so I don’t feel sorry for them.

by Anonymousreply 119April 27, 2021 8:14 PM

*IF he/she

by Anonymousreply 120April 27, 2021 8:14 PM

I would consider a 4 day work week crumbs at this point to be honest. I would commute to the office twice a week maximum if I was forced. More than that and I'd quit.

by Anonymousreply 121April 27, 2021 8:43 PM

Here are some stats on how other workers feel. Most want to stay home. Almost no one what's to go back to five days a week

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 27, 2021 8:45 PM

In R122 graph, 58% would look for a new job if they were forced to go back to the office. So there will be a huge group of people competing for coveted WFH jobs. That's going to work out well.

I'm fortunate, I work for a company that was WFH-friendly pre-Covid. Although when they wanted to get rid of high earners, they would selectively insist certain locations could not be WFH and if you didn't move to work there/return to the office--adios.

by Anonymousreply 123April 27, 2021 9:05 PM

Not all remote jobs can simply be "outsourced to India". It's hard enough dealing with time zone issues here in the US if your staff works in all over the country.

by Anonymousreply 124April 27, 2021 9:14 PM

[quote]I'm fortunate, I work for a company that was WFH-friendly pre-Covid. Although when they wanted to get rid of high earners, they would selectively insist certain locations could not be WFH and if you didn't move to work there/return to the office--adios.

That could be my company. Just before Covid they pushed everyone back into the offices full-time to thin out high-earners, forcing people who had moved outside commuting distance to choose between moving back for a pittance of a relocation fee or an equally ungenerous severance package. Now, the herd thinned, the fresh out of college replacements hired at lower salaries, they are reopening some offices but largely saying fuck it, you can work from home, mission accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 125April 27, 2021 9:17 PM

I’m going to use the forced return (we don’t have it yet) as a negotiating tool. I’m the only person doing a specific line of business because most are too lazy or stupid to step up to the plate. If they want my expertise then don’t make me waste 1.5 hrs a day sitting in traffic. Good luck replacing my years of experience with Shilpa in Mumbai.

by Anonymousreply 126April 27, 2021 9:36 PM

R125...yep. And companies are touting apprenticeship programs which the federal government is subsidizing. Great, that there are programs for young people and career changers but the main motivation for the corporations is that these apprentices are costing a pittance in wages. While they are training and hiring cheap apprentices, they are laying off the $100-200K employees. The C-suite executives, of course, remain untouched.

by Anonymousreply 127April 27, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote] There's a reason those jobs have not been outsourced completely despite outsourcing having been around for almost three decades now.

It isn’t just a language thing either. I work with a number of contracted employees from India (and a number of them live in the U.S.). There are cultural differences. They practically scream at each other/talk over one another/interrupt constantly.

They seem fine with it but that does not fly with American clients.

I work in IT for healthcare and a lot of our clients just flat out say in their contracts their data can’t be accessed overseas (hence the U.S. based - but still B1 contractors).

by Anonymousreply 128April 27, 2021 10:42 PM

Yeah I know what you mean R128. Our IT team is in India and they can be very rude at times. But I find, and it could be the result of globalization, that they have really corrected that abrasive manner in the last ten years. I find workers from India much more easy to talk to than they ever have been before.

by Anonymousreply 129April 27, 2021 11:17 PM

OP, here. Yes, I do have a pension, but I already don’t make much so I couldn’t just retire now and live on that...not until I pay off some things, at least. I’m actually not interested in having NO job at this point in my life. I went into the office today (had some things I can’t do from home) and it was fine...it’s just the drive AND the petty bureaucracy. It’s not my coworkers, who I mostly like. Also, the longer I stay, the more I can draw when I retire. Also, my age; I wouldn’t get as much because I haven’t reached the magic age.

by Anonymousreply 130April 27, 2021 11:34 PM

My company is going to do some in office and some work at home.

by Anonymousreply 131April 27, 2021 11:51 PM

My company says they’ll have to “milk my balls dry at the entrance” when I go back. I’m scared.

by Anonymousreply 132April 28, 2021 3:22 AM

Is your company a dom muscle BDSM daddy with a fetish R132?

by Anonymousreply 133April 28, 2021 3:31 AM

I have been going in to the office 2 mornings a week since work from home started because I have to. This has built a lot of good will towards me {for example, I pick up everyone's mail on my team and scan the important stuff to them) and it's given me the opportunity to talk with our CEO.

She told me she sees no reason for anyone who doesn't work directly with clients (ie, anyone in admin) to be back in the office full time, maybe ever again. The uncertainty of covid variants means every body in the building increases the chances of outbreak of one of the variants. I will, based on what she thinks currently, be able to have the 2 mornings a week as my normal.

I have been very clear all along that is my preference and have worked hard to make sure they know that... I am working hard.

by Anonymousreply 134April 28, 2021 3:40 AM

r74 here, today we punched in (remotely) to find out that one of our processors had been laid off. I believe she was the last one of us to be hired when we had so much work that 10 hour workdays were expected. I don't think that's the reason she got laid off; in our teleconference today they said it was based on performance. She was really nice and i tried to help her with a remote training session to increase in speed/production, but i just think she wasn't cutting it and since we slowed down quite a bit over the past 3 weeks, she was the obvious choice. i've worked very had to make sure my production is up and thorough, and even have won a few "kudo" awards. My Ops Manager even asked me to review and add to a job aid so i think there is good reason to believe i/we will continue to be allowed to WFH if we want. i have no direct contact with our borrowers and only contact other businesses if i need to to obtain needed items. All our IT people our based in the US and have had no issues helping us with any issues we may have. i see no reason to return for someone in my position.

by Anonymousreply 135April 28, 2021 4:16 AM

An interesting and detailed article from Spain on the decline of teleworking In Europe and elsewhere a year after its imposition via Covid.

(In Spanish - you know what to do if need be.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136April 28, 2021 7:04 AM

For a lot of people the workplace is like a stage where they can pontificate, show-off and bully. Those people end up making the decisions.

by Anonymousreply 137April 28, 2021 8:19 AM

If you like, R137, but the workplace is also the stage to the meek who have a role, however inconsequential, and to smaller time losers who make few decisions and have any pull. It's not just for Machiavellians.

by Anonymousreply 138April 28, 2021 8:42 AM

R72 - you are right about the poor guy. However, being single and alone is really mind-fucking for some people. Pre-pandmeic I was always perfectly groomed and well-dressed while now it's shower and zip top and five o'clock shadow because "nobody will see me anyway, no after work drinks or dinner with colleagues or at a place I may meet a hook up". Younger and single people need other people no matter how much many suck. If you lock someone away in the house, depression and letting yourself go is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 139April 28, 2021 10:09 AM

R139. It doesn't mean you should go into work 5 days a week at a shifty job with no decent raises and annoying co-workers who make passive aggressive comments.

by Anonymousreply 140April 28, 2021 10:34 AM

Q for any of you in the know. Can your employer ask if you’ve been vaccinated? Can they tell you that you can’t come into the office until you are?

My boss is being a pussy about this, I don’t want to work in my small office with anyone not vaccinated. He thinks it’s a lawsuit if he requires vaccines to come back in the office. I think I have until Sept and will be on a three day in / 2 day wfh schedule.

by Anonymousreply 141April 28, 2021 10:35 AM

My HR person and our attorney have said we aren’t allowed to demand a vaccination or ask about it. Seems dumb to me to not ask.

by Anonymousreply 142April 28, 2021 10:46 AM

R98- NYC is still going to be FUCKED without any TOURIISTS even if the OFFICE workers return.

by Anonymousreply 143April 28, 2021 10:53 AM

R143 all city employees are returning May 3rd to full work week. I fucking hate it.

by Anonymousreply 144April 28, 2021 11:07 AM

My nyc friend in finance had to go back hybrid in May, I think Wall Street will be back by Sept it’s midtown offices that are the wildcard.

by Anonymousreply 145April 28, 2021 11:13 AM

I'll be retiring in June, so I'll never see the inside of my office again. I can't tell you how grateful I am to have been able to spend the last year and a half of my career working from home 100%. My morning commute is simply a walk from the bedroom to the office. I ask myself on a regular basis how the hell I ever managed to get ready and drive into an office for a day of work FIVE TIMES A WEEK!

by Anonymousreply 146April 28, 2021 11:16 AM

My company promises a flexible model but I know there will be a gradual return to 5 day a week intensity. It’ll be like the gradual boiling of water... just a few weeks in, we will be back to being haggard zombies who spend nearly all waking hours getting to, sitting at and returning home from work. The last 13 months have been a total gift and I’m trying to be grateful versus dreadsville but man will it suck to be back on the hamster wheel... which feels inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 147April 28, 2021 11:20 AM

I have an entry level media job that is sooo cruisy, even when we did have to go into the office it really wasn't that bad. But working from home has been blissful, i've saved so much on rent (was living in central London) and so much time in the day I don't have to commute any more. Much better work life balance, spending much less money.

My problem is the salary is super low. I am barely putting anything away. And now i'm torn between applying for other jobs that pay more, or giving up this WFH freedom. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 148April 28, 2021 2:24 PM

One of my coworkers, who has an even longer commute than I do, just turned in his notice. He is older and can draw a good pension, so why stay? Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 149April 28, 2021 2:28 PM

When my company had a pension, older workers pretty much had to quit or else they were "working for free." They reached a time/age where they eligible for their full pension, let's say 100K. They are working for 140K. So why not "retire" and take that 100K and look for another job that pays 100K or more. Now their annual income is 200 instead of just 140. A coworker did this, he didn't really want to leave but he wasn't going to work for free. He quit and joined a consulting firm. Alas, it didn't work out and he was let go in a year. Ended up at a lower paid position at a college. Did that for a few years and retired for good.

by Anonymousreply 150April 28, 2021 2:55 PM

I just hate how management is being so cowardly and indecisive as they want to see what everyone else is doing in NYC before making a decision. True lack of leadership.

The NYT has run a number of articles though about this showing that people do NOT want to return. We have even been surveyed multiple times and the results are the same. People want to stay home. It's like they're hoping they're going to get a diff answer if they ask again. Even people who are vaccinated don't want to go back.

by Anonymousreply 151April 28, 2021 3:02 PM

[quote]I just hate how management is being so cowardly and indecisive as they want to see what everyone else is doing in NYC before making a decision. True lack of leadership.

The only thing they are being indecisive about is when to ask you to come back (and that's the only point on which I can more or less agree with them.) If they had already decided that everyone would continue to work from home, they would have told you as much. There's good reason to share good news early, and good reason to hold back on sharing bad news so that you have less time to stew in it and build resentments. They've already made a decision, it's just not the one you would like.

by Anonymousreply 152April 28, 2021 3:28 PM

Hate to break it to you R152, but I know at my company, the resentment has already stewed and boiled over. If senior management is withholding their decision thinking it's a cunning move that employees can't see through then senior management is deluded.

Are you senior management at your place R152?

by Anonymousreply 153April 28, 2021 7:30 PM

Are we supposed to feel sorry for you OP? Many people never got the chance AT ALL to work from home (essential workers, medical workers, hospitality, retail, food, the trades, etc). Be happy you got a year to WFH. And if you don’t like it, I suggest you take it up with your management. WTF are we supposed to do?

by Anonymousreply 154April 28, 2021 7:41 PM

R153, no. Just passing along the simple observation that if a company has great news that will make everyone happy - offering, say,extensive options to everyone to return to the office according to individual preference - they would have told you.

There is no benefit and some risk to holding back.

Now if they have news that will leave everyone to varying degrees unhappy, that's best kept under wraps and the band-aid ripped off at once.

The longer employees have to consider a future change they hate, the longer they have to make alternative plans.

by Anonymousreply 155April 28, 2021 8:41 PM

It’s ridiculous. I’m doing more work at home and I’ve trained 3 people during this time as well. My team is all over the US so I never see anyone in person unless we fly to an office. I don’t want to go back, it will be a push to look elsewhere if they force me.

by Anonymousreply 156April 28, 2021 8:51 PM

My company has decided to create four categories of employee: remote (home), hybrid (home + office), essential (mostly at the building) and on-site (always at the building). People are shitting.

by Anonymousreply 157April 28, 2021 9:01 PM

WFH is going to be the top benefit next to healthcare and 401k match. I hope companies realize this trend. People will move if they don’t get the benefits they want.

by Anonymousreply 158April 28, 2021 9:04 PM

R61 Summers are worse

Close the windows and put the AC on!

by Anonymousreply 159April 28, 2021 9:11 PM

[quote]WFH is going to be the top benefit next to healthcare and 401k match. I hope companies realize this trend. People will move if they don’t get the benefits they want.

It’s time to start revolting and demanding 100% remote work.

by Anonymousreply 160April 28, 2021 9:22 PM

We have department calls every other week with our VP and he hasn't given us a date back in the office yet.

Most of my department, including my direct manager, work in a different state than me. I could be in my PJs all day and my boss wouldn't know or care. As long as I pick up when he calls he's fine.

I will go back to the office building maybe once a week, if only to keep my office. I know those bitches are drawing lots to see who's going to get it. I will go in just to spite them all.

by Anonymousreply 161April 28, 2021 10:09 PM

My company rolled out a Remote Pilot Program. Got everyone hot and horny to apply. They did... and then the company got cold feet and created lots of bullshit rationale on who would get accepted and why. Totally inflicted gunshot wound. Some companies just aren’t ready to admit that the future is remote.

by Anonymousreply 162April 28, 2021 10:49 PM

R154 I said that in my first post. I know I was fortunate. Do you really think I think anyone here can fix my problems?

In a couple of weeks, one of my busiest seasons will start, and I won’t even have a chance to take off. Today I had a meeting with HR and my supervisor and told them I would be taking a week off, effective immediately. I need a break and I need to stop “giving” time to my job.

by Anonymousreply 163April 28, 2021 11:05 PM

We were supposed to go back in June, then Sept, now Jan. To be honest, I am low key disappointed...I was looking forward to going to the office and NYC. I am grateful for the consistent work and paycheck, but my social life is suffering greatly.

by Anonymousreply 164June 1, 2021 1:57 PM

Work from home is DOA. It’s funny how quickly people want to be back to normal after shouting new normal all 2020.

by Anonymousreply 165June 1, 2021 2:08 PM

I'm one of the weirdos looking forward to going back into an office. The extra time in dressing up, commuting etc. will be a pain, but the isolation has not been great for me.

by Anonymousreply 166June 1, 2021 2:09 PM

[quote] I'll be retiring in June, so I'll never see the inside of my office again.

My company ordered everyone back in the office on July 1, 2020 and that's when I decided to retire. No way was I going to deal with the subway and an office full of people.

But now that the vaccines are here, it's a different story. I wouldn't fear for my physical health, just my mental health. Good luck to you, R146. I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Now if I can just get my partner to go back to the office, life would be perfect

by Anonymousreply 167June 1, 2021 2:16 PM

R165 People are sheep.

by Anonymousreply 168June 1, 2021 2:20 PM

[quote]We were supposed to go back in June, then Sept, now Jan.

Why the fuck are they waiting until January? The pandemic is practically over and over half of Americans have had their vaccines (which are said to be effective against variants). WTF do they think is going to change between now and January?

by Anonymousreply 169June 1, 2021 2:54 PM

They moved to a new office space. So renovation is part of it.

by Anonymousreply 170June 1, 2021 2:57 PM

work is so OVAH

by Anonymousreply 171June 1, 2021 3:02 PM

The fun is over people. Back to work!

by Anonymousreply 172June 1, 2021 3:07 PM

[quote]Why the fuck are they waiting until January? The pandemic is practically over and over half of Americans have had their vaccines (which are said to be effective against variants). WTF do they think is going to change between now and January?

NY law firm here. Roughly half of office is vaccinated. We have fundy Christian holdovers in the office who've made it clear they will not be getting the shot. I believe the bigwigs are trying to figure out how to put everybody in the same space without exposing the entire office to mouth-breathing non-vaccinated workers. (I for one have no intention of working unmasked around those fucking idiots.)

by Anonymousreply 173June 1, 2021 3:18 PM

I miss Debbie's (Accounts Payable ) dump cake

by Anonymousreply 174June 1, 2021 3:20 PM

OP here. I have resigned myself to the back in office and it's not so bad, other than the commute. There have been grumblings that some positions, like mine, may be able to work a percentage from home because the decision makers are learning that it this "in office work only" rule is not working out for their benefit. I was off the other day and got a call from one of the high levels asking me for something. I told her while I normally would be glad to do that task from home, I was off work that day and since they had made the rule about no remote work, I would have to wait until I returned to the office. She was thrown by that.

by Anonymousreply 175June 1, 2021 3:58 PM

The NYC trains are packed with people. I fucking hate it.

by Anonymousreply 176June 2, 2021 10:42 AM

[quote]You can't flirt

Not appropriate at work

[quote]you can't bond

Work is for working; don't want my work and social life blending

[quote]you can't commiserate

Refer to previous statement

[quote]you can't show off new shows

Oh well?

[quote] can't share a site gag

Too busy

[quote]discover a new sandwich shop

Uber Eats, bitch

[quote] people watch

Gross.

[quote]suck up to the boss

Easily done via messenger apps and being good at your job

[quote]or even engage in some life-affirming gossip or office drama.

Facilitates a toxic work environment

by Anonymousreply 177June 2, 2021 1:26 PM

Your co-workers called, R177. You can definitely work from home, they said

by Anonymousreply 178June 2, 2021 2:42 PM

What I don't understand is why would there be a reduction in pay for performing your employment from home? What would justify that?

by Anonymousreply 179June 2, 2021 2:48 PM

In some situations, I think employers want to justify paying rent, so they want people in the office. Depending on the business or even government, they also want people in the office so it looks more productive. There is a perception that telecommuters are lazy or working the system, which is unfair.

by Anonymousreply 180June 2, 2021 3:07 PM

Back to work Bitches!!! You have risk just like everyone else. You are no better than the person who works in the grocery store. Be glad you're alive and have a job you entitled cunts.

by Anonymousreply 181June 2, 2021 3:32 PM

It's hard for me to relate to people saying they are lonely and isolated going to the office? I am friendly with my coworkers but those are not my friends. I see my actual friends more often these days because I'm less exhausted. It uses to be impossible to drum up energy for a happy hour after a long day and then 40 mins in the car. I do way more social events during the week now

by Anonymousreply 182June 2, 2021 4:55 PM

Lonely and isolated if they aren't* going to the office

by Anonymousreply 183June 2, 2021 5:07 PM

80% of us do not want to go back. We’ve realized how different things can be. I’ll be a miserable cunt if I’m forced back.

by Anonymousreply 184June 2, 2021 6:44 PM

The crowded subway commute will suck, but once at the office - cool! I might take the ferry and walk over to avoid the subway scene. My company throws a lot of parties, social events, and happy hours etc. Nature of the digital ad agency. I miss those. They were fun! Now, if I still worked at a boring bank or insurance company - I would not want to go back - at all.

by Anonymousreply 185June 2, 2021 7:34 PM

I know many people who have said they will do everything possible to find a new job where they can work remotely if their employer tries to force them back into the office.

by Anonymousreply 186June 2, 2021 8:00 PM

R186 me too!

by Anonymousreply 187June 2, 2021 8:26 PM

We are all gearing up for the biggest battle between workers and management in a generation.

by Anonymousreply 188June 2, 2021 8:39 PM

Just don't try to stick me in an office with the unvaccinated and we'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 189June 2, 2021 8:42 PM

Some people can't afford not to go back into the office. They need to pay their bills and they don't have that much say. To be honest, it reeks of white privilege to be able to work from home in June. A lot of minorities do not have that privilege.

by Anonymousreply 190June 2, 2021 8:43 PM

R190 initially yes but you can be damn sure I’ll be vocal about the inconvenience and added cost. Plus I’ll be searching for a wfh position elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 191June 2, 2021 8:46 PM

Morale will go in the toilet. Employers should understand this and allow people to work from home at least part time on a go-forward basis. My employer is allowing a 50% WFH arrangement upon return to the office. I hope this materializes (I'm in Canada where we're still in lockdown).

Presenteeism HINDERS productivity, this has been proven time and time again. Yet they continue to cling to their overlord complex, even after all we've learned in the last year plus.

by Anonymousreply 192June 2, 2021 8:52 PM

My company was actually refreshingly honest with us and said they saw no productivity decline among employees they had before the pandemic at all. Because expenses were down with everyone out of the office and not traveling we were actually more profitable than usual in 2020.

They did say that training new employees completely remote was slower and the rate of errors were higher among them than past new hires. I hope they can work out some kind of mixed WFH arrangement. I'd be willing to go the office 2 days.

by Anonymousreply 193June 2, 2021 8:56 PM

R189 that’s the thing. They aren’t forcing people to get vaxxed to return (because Karen is allergic to vaccines.. etc). But they sure as hell will park you next to Karen’s cube while she spreads the plague.

by Anonymousreply 194June 2, 2021 9:29 PM

Jersey just said damn it all. No rules anymore:

As of today, June 4th, all indoor gathering limits are lifted, including the limits on seating at indoor venues with at least 1,000 seats.

As of last Friday, May 28th, businesses were able to open at full capacity. Social distancing is not required, but businesses are encouraged to follow CDC safety guidelines and social distancing. In addition, dance floors at bars, restaurants, and nightclubs may reopen.

Workplace Effective today, June 4th, businesses and non-profits will no longer be required to accommodate remote work arrangements and to reduce on-site staff to the minimal number necessary. Employers at indoor worksites that are not open to the public may allow employees who can verify they are fully vaccinated to not wear a face mask and social distance.

by Anonymousreply 195June 4, 2021 9:53 PM

R117 might have had a point but soon made it clear was the world’s most heinous individual ever. I truly hope this cunt never leaves their home ever.

by Anonymousreply 196June 4, 2021 10:01 PM

I still haven’t gotten the call. My department and only one other haven’t gotten called back, yet. Both are IT and I am hoping they somehow decide that we don’t need to come back five days a week.

by Anonymousreply 197June 4, 2021 10:16 PM

California can’t figure out masks indoors. What is the point of returning to work if people have to wear a mask all day?

by Anonymousreply 198June 5, 2021 4:32 AM

I wish we had a Union to defend us being forced back. It’s crazy, so many don’t want to go back but people need the money. I guess I need to start looking elsewhere. These CEOs are in for a nasty surprise when their workforce find better companies with full time WFH benefits.

by Anonymousreply 199June 5, 2021 6:37 AM

[quote] Only narcissists miss being at the office because there are no victims to feed on while at home.

You are so full of shit!

by Anonymousreply 200June 5, 2021 8:13 AM

Mark my words: The new perk to lure the best talents will no longer be salary, vacation days or education budgets — it’s how easy you are with WFH.

Employers offering total WFH or a convenient hybrid model (e.g “just come to the office once a week so you don’t lose touch with your team”) will stand out and win.

by Anonymousreply 201June 5, 2021 8:52 AM

[quote] To be honest, it reeks of white privilege to be able to work from home in June. A lot of minorities do not have that privilege.

Do STFU.

by Anonymousreply 202June 5, 2021 8:58 AM

R202. Tell me again whitey

by Anonymousreply 203June 5, 2021 10:25 AM

R199. Unions can be useless especially if they are kissing asses of corporations. They won't be on your side but give you lip service and seek out perks for themselves. I am referring to the union bosses.

by Anonymousreply 204June 5, 2021 10:41 AM

I spent this week working at my home desk, positioned beneath a large open window looking out into my untidy garden, enjoying the birdsong from the trees and the cool, fresh air and peace, but at the back of my mind is the knowledge that my employer wants us back in the office by September, back to open plan, “who stole my lunch”, windowless, air-conditioned, grey-walled community.

The ironic thing is that my employer pays a lot of lip service to good mental health, but is forcing us all back to a less healthy working pattern. I’ve been hoping that Covid would cause changes in the way society works, but now I think the old interest parties may simply reassert themselves.

by Anonymousreply 205June 5, 2021 10:51 AM

[quote] but the idea of having to go back into an office terrifies me.

MARY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 206June 5, 2021 10:58 AM

Or, r204, they’re left with very little power.

by Anonymousreply 207June 5, 2021 10:59 AM

I have had to work in the office throughout the pandemic because my IT didn’t have remote access. It has been very high pressure as there have been so few of us. Workload has been massively increased and those in the office have had no option but to deal with it. Most of my colleagues have been at home and are now returning to a world they have lost touch with. Several people have gone off sick already because they are so stressed. Now my IT is fixed and I am looking forward to getting some of my own work done.

by Anonymousreply 208June 5, 2021 11:15 AM

Since March 2020 I have never WFH. Our company did not allow it, even though several departments could have easily done WFH. The leader is a micro-managing, control freak and probably thought everyone WFH would be sitting there bingeing on Netflix all day and doing no work. And we have enough fundies who have refused the vaccine so I still wear a mask when I am around other people and socially distance when I am not holed up in my office.

by Anonymousreply 209June 5, 2021 11:25 AM

I work for a major media company in NYC. Back in January, HR sent us these surveys gauging our reactions to returning to the office : what our concerns are, how often we think we should be in office vs. WFH, etc. My boss informed me yesterday that the way it's looking is that many of us who have been with the company for a long time can more or less do whatever we want. I wrote on my survey that I'd be willing to come back twice a week. So that's what I'll do. Granted.. I don't even see myself working a full 8 hours on the days that I'm there. So for me.. it looks like the five day 9-5 work week is officially a relic of a past life pre-Covid and that is fine with me. I'm ready to live my damn life and have fun and not sit at a fucking desk all day.

by Anonymousreply 210June 5, 2021 11:43 AM

I know most of you are millionaires but for me going back to the office is a significant expense, in essence a pay cut. I’m so annoyed. And who the fuck decided on September? It’s like every company got together and chose that date. I hope that bird flu in China is Covid 2.0

by Anonymousreply 211June 5, 2021 11:48 AM

R207 then why are we elevating unions like they have this immerse power. Except of course civil service unions.

by Anonymousreply 212June 5, 2021 12:17 PM

R211, I am, like the majority of D/Lers, a millionaire, but still annoyed about the end of work from home. 2 extra hours lost per day travelling, plus public transport costs, traffic jams, etc. It’s so annoying!

by Anonymousreply 213June 5, 2021 12:23 PM

R211 probably because covid would be way down with or without the vaccines (right after summer), schools go back, let people finish out summer so they're not as pissed, UI expires, etc.

I think this is the elites honoring unspoken social contracts -- keeping cities busy, helping landlords, justifying transportation, food places, etc. Without half the working population in one location, there's really no reason to stick around central areas. I'm sure a lot of the bigwigs have their fingers in multiple cookie jars (business endeavors) and they *owe* the governments that cater to them *something* in return.

It also keeps the lower classes in line by not giving something too good up to half the working pop. They already have shortages with low wage, on site jobs, and don't want more people pissed off they are stuck going into jobs, while others do not. If suddenly half the work is at home, there's going to be a lot of people wanting to shift to those jobs -- as said here, it's like the new work benefit.

I never agreed with the old school 5 days a week on location -- even for jobs that require in person service. We should have the option of 3/4 longer work days for everyone, with WFH for jobs that can pull it off. Businesses have known for years even something as simple as 4 days a week can be beneficial (less pollution, more time off, etc), but they refuse to do it. Too stuck on wanting to dominate most of their employees lives.

by Anonymousreply 214June 5, 2021 12:28 PM

R204 less than 10% of workplaces have unions these days. Are you sure you weren't thinking of HR?

by Anonymousreply 215June 5, 2021 12:32 PM

R214 hearye hear. Well said.

Strange, how so many people are hellbent on deciding where people are to spend their days... I just left a position as COO (couldn’t bear dealing any longer with the extremely boring product), and I was the only one in management 100% pro WFH forever for all.

Mind you, my fellow managers are all people in their early to mid 30s.

by Anonymousreply 216June 5, 2021 1:43 PM

Dude you will be happy to get out the house. I went back and was pretty happy.

by Anonymousreply 217June 5, 2021 2:07 PM

Haha You bitches are going back, get used to it, the free ride is over! The rest of the country is getting back to normal and you have too just like everybody else. Back to the office you entitled bitches!!!!

by Anonymousreply 218June 5, 2021 3:30 PM

Can I have fries with that r218?

by Anonymousreply 219June 5, 2021 3:40 PM

“I know most of you are millionaires” made me laugh. Datalounge is full of working girls and aunts who collect social security.

by Anonymousreply 220June 5, 2021 3:44 PM

I've read a lot of employees are objecting - the most recent being Apple. Y'know, after they spent a few billion on that mothership HQ?

Hopefully people will leave and look for more mixed/remote work. Want to force everyone back in the office for no reason? Go ahead, see what happens.

I really hope there's a collective push-back on this. When we have to be available 24/7, have limited vacation, and limited time to lead lives outside of work - this is our ONLY chance.

by Anonymousreply 221June 5, 2021 3:48 PM

Yeah it does just seem like brain dead middle management doing what it does: collecting people into cubicles pretty much for the hell of it. Control is always the goal, rarely productivity, or so it seems.

by Anonymousreply 222June 5, 2021 3:50 PM

I’ve been back in the office for a year. There are only five or six of us there - which is fine as I enjoy the quiet and not having people constantly stop by my desk asking redundant questions. However, people are starting to come back on certain days - when it suits them - and that pisses me off. I’m pretty sure our company will move to a smaller location by the end of the year and only those who never had the WFH privilege will be asked back, but there will be push back for sure.

by Anonymousreply 223June 5, 2021 4:00 PM

This is what's also telling - instead of accommodating employees and saving money on real estate, office furniture, utilities, etc. - these companies have been threatening to reduce their salaries, send their jobs to another country, or to take away some benefits like healthcare (seriously, that happened last week).

Some companies have had their most profitable quarters or years in 2020. Seriously.

Now, I don't want 100% remote. I do see the value of being together in an office, but it certainly doesn't have to be 100% either. We can do better. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

by Anonymousreply 224June 5, 2021 4:11 PM

When I go back, I don’t want to hear the word Teams ever again. You forced me back, you can come talk to my face. Which will be difficult to do considering my team is spread out across 6 States and we are only 10 people. You want me back? I’m not doing my virtual job anymore.

by Anonymousreply 225June 5, 2021 4:17 PM

Home should be a sanctuary, why would you want to bring work into it.

by Anonymousreply 226June 5, 2021 4:39 PM

R226 - work is already in it. We can be reached via text, phone and email at any hour.

The days of working 9-5 with a full hour lunch and coming home at 5:30 to dinner on the table is long dead.

We have to be able to do more than just work. Having asses in seats doesn't guarantee productivity.

by Anonymousreply 227June 5, 2021 4:57 PM

R226 easy, I live in a house and have a dedicated office room. I close the door when I log off and don’t look at it until I need to log back in.

by Anonymousreply 228June 5, 2021 5:01 PM

I agree with that too r224. But it should be set up that you are in the office when you actually NEED to be in the office, not some mindless belief that everyone should be in the office 8 (or 9 or 10) hours a day, just for the sake of being in the office. That is what is so idiotic, and that is the archaic 19th and 20th century ideal that should die.

by Anonymousreply 229June 5, 2021 5:05 PM

I got called out. Now I’m Just gonna sit everything out

by Anonymousreply 230June 5, 2021 5:07 PM

WFH reduces the potential for sexual harrassment lawsuits. That should be a talking point for people who want to keep it going.

by Anonymousreply 231June 5, 2021 5:10 PM

So for r218 it's a revenge thing. I suspect that is the middle manager mentality at its best.

by Anonymousreply 232June 5, 2021 5:32 PM

A couple I know (who both work remotely) sold their house , bought a super RV and have been travelling the country, vacationing, and doing work along the way. They are screwed if their bosses call them back!

by Anonymousreply 233June 5, 2021 5:41 PM

R231 there are so many more reasons. I got rid of one of our cars and I’ve saved a ton on money. Now I have to go buy another fucking car, insure it, maintain it and sit in it for 2 hours a day. For what? To do the exact same job I’m doing now. Actually BETTER job than before because I’m not annoyed all the time.

by Anonymousreply 234June 5, 2021 5:56 PM

For companies with an “open” work environment, moving to WFH makes sense. That was a failed experiment that lowered productivity. So maybe WFH can recover some of that loss. I sure get more done remotely and don’t miss my long commute to a random workspace.

by Anonymousreply 235June 5, 2021 6:13 PM

Across the board, sick time taken is WAY down. I haven't been sick with a cold etc in over a year and some of the things that are not contagious but I would normally have had to call out from, I don't have to working from home. I can use the bathroom as much as needed if digestive issues flare up and don't need to worry about sudden flooding endometriosis issues from home, I can work right through through them. Personal days {ie , mental health days) are practically unused too.

by Anonymousreply 236June 5, 2021 6:16 PM

All true rescue-chick, which is why I always get suspicious of corporate motives here. What is the real need to drag everyone back into cubicle city? I never thought it was about productivity.

by Anonymousreply 237June 5, 2021 6:56 PM

It must be regional because here in Vermont there has been no real discussion or push as to returning to the office from any sector.

by Anonymousreply 238June 5, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote] I could actually draw a pension now. Won’t be enough to live on at the moment, and I’m “only” 53...

OP, this is the only time since i was 18 I have wished I was older. I am dreading going back to the office. I wish I could retire and access my retirement savings without penalty.

by Anonymousreply 239June 5, 2021 7:52 PM

R215 I am not referring to HR but unions. The part time job I work at has a union and they are useless. I told the union rep how I felt about how employees were treated during covid and the lack of pay increase. The best unions are those that represent fire fighters and the police. I am tired of paying union dues and nothing happening since those motherfuckers are scammers.

by Anonymousreply 240June 5, 2021 8:53 PM

Received the e-mail this afternoon. Likely going back next month. It’s only a 6 - 7 min. walk from my flat so it won’t be that big of a deal for me. I’m mostly concerned about what safety protocols will be in place. After WFH for 14 months, it’s natural to have some anxiety about it. I’ll appreciate the air conditioning.

Feel bad for my colleagues, some who have a 60 - 90 mins. commute. That’s gotta feel like a big waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 241June 7, 2021 4:45 PM

Another concern is going to be wardrobe and showering regularly. I don’t have to wear a suit but I really don’t know who I am anymore when it comes to clothes.

by Anonymousreply 242June 7, 2021 4:47 PM

A good friend works for AMEX. They were a bit late to WFH last year, not starting it until June. It was announced recently that their department had record productivity increases this past year, over 10%, and this even though a few people were laid off. But they were told they wouldn't get productivity bonuses this year. And they have to return to the office September 1st, to an open plan hot desk situation.

by Anonymousreply 243June 7, 2021 5:12 PM

r243 and corporations wonder why they can't find workers 🙄

by Anonymousreply 244June 7, 2021 6:12 PM

Unfortunately, COVID is NOT over and the idiots that refuse to get vaxxed will be the reason for the virus' morphing into something far more dangerous than it ever was.

It is merely a matter of time. It takes ONE person for the variant.

Lets hope that does NOT happen.

by Anonymousreply 245June 7, 2021 7:08 PM

I really hope this blows up in their faces with Covid outbreaks at the office and shut downs. From next week the “vaccinated” are free to be maskless inside. I’m sure they’ve all been vaccinated 🙄

by Anonymousreply 246June 8, 2021 4:59 PM

Financial Times:

Employers expect more than six in 10 workers will return to Manhattan offices by September and most will return at least three days a week thanks to rapid uptake of vaccinations, a survey has found.

The survey found that 12 per cent of employees had returned to the workplace by late May.

by Anonymousreply 247June 8, 2021 5:04 PM

R247 and those 12% probably can’t work from home. I know 1 person who has volunteered to go back. ONE.

by Anonymousreply 248June 8, 2021 5:19 PM

Just found out that someone in my office tested positive for Covid. A lot of people were back in the office and many of them had not been vaccinated for whatever stupid reasons. Thank god I am still remote because that shit is going to keep happening as long as it's not mandated that everyone be vaccinated to be there.

by Anonymousreply 249June 8, 2021 8:23 PM

R249 serves them right for forcing people back before it’s actually safe out there. Maybe someone will die because of this stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 250June 8, 2021 8:26 PM

Interesting he isn't resorting to threats. He's wary of a backlash from his employees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251June 15, 2021 2:20 PM

We've been slowly getting back into the office at my job. I hate to say it but I get so much work done there compared to at home. At home it is very easy for me to just start dicking around. Only reason I'm WFH today is because I played hockey yesterday and my legs are rubber. But I appreciate that the office is open and that we have the choice to go in or stay at home depending on our circumstances. I hope this ends up being the long term trend after covid because there are some days I really don't want to drag my miserable body around.

by Anonymousreply 252June 15, 2021 2:43 PM

R252 you do you. Most of us get more work done at home and save money.

by Anonymousreply 253June 15, 2021 3:54 PM

I worked from home 2 days a week pre-COVID and that's what I'll go back to once the decision has been made that people have to return. My company has been very flexible but, since our work is remote for clients anyway, working in the office or out has not been the issue.

We just moved to a new office location within our office complex. The problem is, the new cubes have lower walls. Our old office had high, padded walls so sound was muted. With my team all in the office on the same days, it sounds like a call center! You can't hear yourself think. It sucks.

by Anonymousreply 254June 16, 2021 2:41 PM

Our company released the results of an internal survey they sent out in May asking about future WFH preferences.

70% of respondents said the most they want to go back is 1 or 2 days a week. Out of 796 people who answered the survey, only 19 said they would prefer 5 days a week in the office. That's not 19 percent, it's 19 people.

The HR rep said they got the message and they hope to have more information for us soon. I'm hoping that means we can expect good news.

by Anonymousreply 255June 16, 2021 8:12 PM

Count on good news, R255, or otherwise the HR cunts wouldn’t release the results.

Have to give your company credit for being so transparent, by the way

by Anonymousreply 256June 16, 2021 8:15 PM

R255. Congratulations that you have a job in which you don't have to return to the office. Now stop jerking yourself off because you get to work from home. Most people don't have that luxury. They either quit and stay home with no income or get their asses into the office five days a week. People that do not work in lousy jobs do not know how good they have it.

by Anonymousreply 257June 16, 2021 9:20 PM

R257 rise to the occasion and get yourself one of those office jobs. Study, learn, do what it takes to get ahead instead of belittling others. When I first immigrated to the US I worked in retail until I got a foot in the door at a company. Just because you are too lazy to amount to anything doesn’t mean the rest of us haven’t paid our dues to get ahead.

by Anonymousreply 258June 16, 2021 9:31 PM

R258. You don't know me so shut the fuck up. Congratulations you got your foot in the door since I am surprised no one has slammed the door in your face with that kind of altitude. You can easily lose your job so humble yourself. By the way I work in a n office and doing well finnacially. I am speaking for others struggling which you are arrogantly talking down at.

by Anonymousreply 259June 16, 2021 11:04 PM

[quote] slammed the door in your face with that kind of altitude.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 260June 17, 2021 1:54 AM

Back to the office hellhole, you slovenly prissy WFH cunts hahahahahahah! I'm crying!

by Anonymousreply 261June 17, 2021 3:23 AM

Going back to work is a paycut for me, also, given that gas is more expensive than ever. But zoom is so annoying, it's almost worth it to have to drive.

by Anonymousreply 262June 17, 2021 3:30 AM

Morgan Stanley CEO to NY employees: Be back in the office by September or else:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263June 17, 2021 3:36 AM

My company is also going back to the office in September. Pre-covid we had a sizeable WFH population and last year, I switched to WFH permanently. So luckily, the return to office announcement doesn't apply to me. But for those who are officially office situated, so much of it is dependent on the location and executive. A co-worker at my former office told me that the executive unofficially made it clear it's butt in seats as the norm and if you don't like it--find another job.

by Anonymousreply 264June 17, 2021 2:55 PM

Somebody else will happily put a butt in your chair and you can continue to stay home, without a job. Back to work Bitches!!!!! Hahahaha

by Anonymousreply 265June 17, 2021 4:12 PM

R265 you are so annoying you shop bottom!

by Anonymousreply 266June 17, 2021 5:51 PM

R266 you shop cunt

by Anonymousreply 267June 17, 2021 8:13 PM

Do Chance Meetings at the Office Boost Innovation? There’s No Evidence of It.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268June 23, 2021 3:11 PM

The Under-40s aren't going to stand for this, having had a taste of freedom. And once the Boomers finally retire at age 90 the Millennials will change the way we work. They are used to creating private Utopias of like-minded Wokes- and deleting Undesirables. So working every day with the unwashed public has to irritate them. There's only so many people you can 'ghost'.

by Anonymousreply 269June 23, 2021 3:20 PM

People like r269 can't understand why no one wants to interact with them in the office or otherwise. They need like 10 conservative buzzwords to explain it. The real reason is you're just unpleasant and don't have anything interesting to say

by Anonymousreply 270June 23, 2021 5:25 PM

Back to the office bitches! Seema in Bangalore is salivating just waiting for your job that pays 3.50 per hour now, and SHE won't bitch about traffic. Hahahaha

by Anonymousreply 271June 23, 2021 5:40 PM

My office has already started with social gatherings, which seems completely premature. They are optional in name only.

by Anonymousreply 272June 23, 2021 7:30 PM

I can’t wait for a Covid outbreak at work.

by Anonymousreply 273June 24, 2021 2:45 PM

Come on, Delta V!

by Anonymousreply 274June 24, 2021 5:40 PM

Is WFH in the USA extended now due to delta and the CDC? I hope to WFH till at least Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 275August 10, 2021 11:41 PM

In our company based in NYC., WFH is extended from the original 1st wk of Sept to Nov. We were told just a few days ago.

Anyway, we believe there must be some nudges from the NYC government to bring back employees to NYC office to help the economy. But WFH at least once a week will still be allowed.

by Anonymousreply 276August 11, 2021 1:55 AM

We were supposed to go back to the office in September. Now? January.

by Anonymousreply 277August 11, 2021 2:34 AM

We were supposed to be fully back in the office after Labor Day. Just found out that’s been pushed to mid-October. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is even too ambitious though. At this point, even though no one is admitting it, they are responding to pressure that people don’t want to come back. I’m in a blue state, vaccinations are among the highest in the country. Is there really a risk anymore? I think the company (and many others) just isn’t prepared for a fight. If they force employees some will come back, but those who are really valuable will easily be able to find an employer that will allow them to WFH.

by Anonymousreply 278August 11, 2021 2:53 AM

R278: "Is there really a risk anymore?'

WTF?! I can't believe you are asking that...smh.

by Anonymousreply 279August 11, 2021 3:03 AM

The company I work for is sticking to September 7. They ain’t worth shit but I hope they wise up and push the return date back. No wonder they have such a huge personnel turnover.

by Anonymousreply 280August 11, 2021 3:17 AM

Back to work Bitches, Delta, can't wait to see you!

by Anonymousreply 281August 11, 2021 3:34 AM

Delta Work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282August 11, 2021 4:52 AM

I don't understand why companies would pay less wages for you to work from home. It's you electricity, internet, etc fuck that! Companies will save money with people working from home.

by Anonymousreply 283August 11, 2021 7:01 AM

Our Sept 7 return date was pushed to Oct 4, and you can tell it was done under much duress. Mixed signals are starting to fly with vague yet menacing directives… “we encourage people to come to the office, as many have done this summer…” I will not arrive one second sooner required, and not because I’m a nervous nelly about Covid but because commuting to a job that could be done from home is stupid. The jig is up. We don’t need to cram into offices in 2021.

by Anonymousreply 284August 11, 2021 11:07 AM

R284. People who have returned to the office because they have no choice are rolling their eyes at you. Get back to work. You are lucky your workplace was this lenient and accommodating.

by Anonymousreply 285August 11, 2021 2:43 PM

I can't imagine having to go back to an office after extended period at home - you're used to a completely new (and better) routine. Yet getting the same work done. I wonder how many people will end up quitting?

by Anonymousreply 286August 11, 2021 3:01 PM

...or relocating so they have that remote excuse

by Anonymousreply 287August 11, 2021 5:09 PM

I don't see how companies can let people back in the office with this news:

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. Moderna was 76% effective.

There has been no data so far that has found either vaccine's protection against severe disease and death is significantly less against Delta, and the study notes that there doesn't appear to be much of a difference in complications stemming from breakthrough infections based on which vaccine someone got.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288August 11, 2021 5:25 PM

Reopening of my office had been multiply postponed, to October. Now extended to January, with the promise of an at least 60 day advance notice.

In the midst of the Covid closings, the company is in the process of being acquired by another, a more properly multinational company, and one that has been embracing working from home fairly aggressively it seems, letting large office leases expire and taking vastly smaller spaces for a few specialty positions; and leasing meeting space as needed.

In the case of the office location that I am associated with, it will remain for the present but leases on offices in the same area have been allowed to expire. If anything, the future is rather bright for working from home for nearly everyone at that location, yet still there is endless moaning of the uncertainty. A bit silly that anyone expects definite answers on when and how many days and office health protocols, etc., all in advance of closing on an acquisition, and one with all appearance of being very flexible in allowing, even encouraging people to work from home -- this against an old policy that did not encourage WFH. But uncertainty upsets office people.

I'm quite lucky, For me, it's all the same as I've been working from home full time for many years.

by Anonymousreply 289August 11, 2021 6:31 PM

Why make people feel bad about working from home, r285? What difference is it to you?

I worked a retail gig during the pandemic, while some of my friends with office jobs had the option to work from home. Good for them.

In fact, people pressuring their employers to transition into a WFH model are doing everyone else a favor by forcing the powers that be to reexamine their outdated infrastructure/policies.

Cream rises to the top, or boats, or whatever that phrase is.

by Anonymousreply 290August 11, 2021 6:38 PM

R290 I don't want to read a bunch of people whinning that their boss eventually ask them to return to work. There are millions of people who are back in the office and adjusting while some in this thread are bitching about returning to the office after their boss have been very accommodating. I wish millions of people had that kind of boss. I live in NYC and the train is very crowded with tired mask wearing workers of all stripes. Maybe they will feel sympathy for some of you poor overworked people in your AC and pajamas while working from home.

by Anonymousreply 291August 11, 2021 8:36 PM

Just got an email from HR that we don't have to go back into the office in September as previously scheduled. November is the earliest we will have to go back in, depending on how things go COVID-wise. Hopefully, management will eventually say 'fuck it' and let us stay out the rest of the year.

by Anonymousreply 292August 11, 2021 8:42 PM

Great opinion piece here. Offices are generally behind the time, pushing an outdated work model that chains people to their desk.

"The cold hard truth is, very few employers offer their office workers true flexibility. While many managers have the luxury of phoning in and state they are “working from home today,” for most employees, staying at home means not getting paid. In many cases, companies will offer you balance as long as that balance happens after 5:00 pm."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293August 11, 2021 8:49 PM

I think the CDC's delta news these few weeks is scaring my CEO. Good.

In the USA, once "the holiday season" gets here we would be home free to continue wfh for the rest of the year, I believe. The holidays begin with Thanksgiving, which psychologically begin MID-November.

I hope this is how HR/CEOs will think.

by Anonymousreply 294August 11, 2021 9:14 PM

I think the CDC's delta news these few weeks is scaring my CEO. Good.

In the USA, once "the holiday season" gets here we would be home free to continue wfh for the rest of the year, I believe. The holidays begin with Thanksgiving, which psychologically begin MID-November.

I hope this is how HR/CEOs will think.

by Anonymousreply 295August 11, 2021 9:14 PM

R285 is a thunder cunt.

by Anonymousreply 296August 11, 2021 9:22 PM

R296 says the paranoid idiot who refuses to go outside. Wear some clothes and go outside moron.

by Anonymousreply 297August 11, 2021 10:26 PM

R284 You sound like a whiney little bitch. Millions went back to work willingly, and some like the poorest social groups had NO choice while you cry baby all over. If you dont go back you won't look like a valued employee, so get out your resume and start looking for a new job, little whiney bitch.

by Anonymousreply 298August 11, 2021 11:57 PM

R298 whiny calling someone else whiny. Who is the one that typed a whole essay bitching about his boss telling his ungrateful ass to get back to work in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 299August 12, 2021 12:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!