Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How did Chadwick Boseman lose?

Can someone explain how it was possible. The Academy loves handing out posthumurous Oscars to those who die in their prime. So why didn't Chad win? He had been snubbed many times befoe from even scoring a nomination. How did he not recieve the most votes, especially since I'm sure many voters would feel the PC pressure of allowing a black man to win?

Also, How the fuck does Daniel Kalluya win best supporting for a movie he not only starred in but also received top billing. Amd yes there is a such thing a two leads, or mutiple co-starring leads. But historically during award season, whoever recieved top billing got the lead actor nod if the performance was praiseworthy. This oscars are fradulent, and have been for a good decade. That shit makes no fkin sense. All this time I thought he was nominated in the lead actor category. They keep playing weird politics with the nominations. The shit makes no sense, and it seems like increasinly minority actors are put into supporting categories when they should be leads. Is it so they can more easily win? But not just minority, all over the place-- the descisions, winners, nominating choices just weird. The oscars are so dam weird for a good decade, its mind bottling the whole thing hasn't just been canceled.

by Anonymousreply 481May 9, 2021 4:55 AM

I know my post's grammar and spelling will be shredded to high heavens but I really did not feel like editing before hitting the post button, just one of those nights. I spelled posthumous, posthu-mu-tous, lol. Ha.

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2021 10:57 AM

[quote] The oscars are so dam weird for a good decade, its mind bottling the whole thing hasn't just been canceled.

Oh, dear, OP. You should be cancelled many times over for this paragraph alone.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2021 10:57 AM

"Mind bottling" is a really good term.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2021 10:59 AM

The Academy has moved on. Besides Anthony Hopkins was sooooooo good.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2021 11:02 AM

Of course the mostly white Academy has moved on. That’s what white people do after doing their racist shit.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2021 11:12 AM

Once the academy reached the required number of minorities getting awards, they went back to only thinking about white people. It's very much like Ivy League admissions.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2021 11:16 AM

[quote]The Academy loves handing out posthumurous Oscars to those who die in their prime.

This has only happened twice, to Peter Finch for Network and Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, in what were both considered legendary performances.

Chadwick was simply very good in a movie that was admired but not particularly well-liked.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2021 11:19 AM

If you actually saw MRBB you wouldn’t be so surprised.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2021 11:21 AM

MRBB was a hell of a struggle to sit through.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2021 11:24 AM

Is Anthony Hopkins in decent enough health that he could've attended, even in the London theatre where Livvie Colman was? Maybe he didn't want the attention if he won?

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2021 11:28 AM

He seems to be in Wales right now, r10, although I thought he lived in LA.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2021 11:30 AM

The movie wasn't all that good. Chadwick did the best he could with a poorly constructed film along with Ms. Davis' overacting.

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2021 11:31 AM

Apparently the Academy realized Bozeman didn’t deserve the lead actor Oscar for a role that was essentially supporting. Same with Miss Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2021 11:31 AM

Just a question but if minorities are the minority then why should it be expected that they get proportionately more awards than the majority?

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2021 11:32 AM

Boseman was good but his character was confusing. That film needed a lot more work to make it a movie, rather than just a filmed theatrical play.

by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2021 11:33 AM

Anthony Hopkins was great in The Father. Ultimately, Netflix should have pushed for Chadwick Boseman to be nominated for BSA for Da 5 Bloods - it was a stronger performance.

What I find more interesting is why Netflix pushed the acting in Ma Rainey over the performances D5B - Boseman, Delroy Lindo, and Clarke Peters all could have been nominated.

Instead of the haranguing over woke vs not woke vs whatever, I’d love more insight (gossip) into Netflix’s (and other studios) award season motivations. For instance, I think The Chadwick Boseman push was more a Disney influence; I don’t think Glenn or Viola! wanted to win for their nominated performances; Netflix gave Vanessa Kirby’s campaign short shrift and dropped Mank altogether.

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2021 11:39 AM

Viola Davis was so greasy in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom that after shooting wrapped she could have just started working at KFC, with chicken being fried on her tremendous tits.

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2021 11:41 AM

Hopkins was so good and so believable as someone experiencing dementia that it was upsetting to watch at times. He deserved the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2021 11:43 AM

The problem is they used Chadwick and Viola for ratings. That’s what’s fucked.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2021 11:44 AM

No one is entitled to an Oscar because he's black and dead.

It was a good performance. Hopkins' was actually better - Hopkins is a phenomenal actor with a huge trail behind him of fantastic performances. That said, I'd have given it strictly on merit to Gary Oldman in "Mank".

Bozeman was actually terminally boring in "Black Panther" although few will admit it (few will admit the film itself was boring).

As for "fraudulent for more than a decade" . . . dear, you must be young.

The Academy has been fraudulent for at least half a century.

I stopped taking it seriously after Tommy Lee Jones won Best Supporting Actor against Ralph Fiennes' hair-raising performance as the brutal commandant of the concentration camp in "Schindler's List"

Let's see, then there was the forgettable "Crash" winning over "Brokeback Mountain" - the latter with one of the best scripts in recent memory and heartbreaking in a way "Crash", with its paint-by-numbers script, couldn't possibly match. All right, they tried to do the right thing by giving Ang Lee Best Director, almost guiltily, but still . . .

Then there was Elizabeth Taylor winning for "Butterfield 8" because she nearly died during the filming. I mean to say, for Taylor it was a good performance. Shirley Maclaine and Melina Mercouri were both better in their roles . . .

The list is endless.

by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2021 11:49 AM

^*Boseman (not Bozeman)

by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2021 11:50 AM

[quote]It's mind bottling the whole thing hasn't just been canceled.

Now [italic]this[/italic] is a malapropism.

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2021 11:51 AM

Everyone presumed that Boseman would win the award. Why should 83 yr old Hopkins board a plane during a pandemic, sit on a plane for many hours, and then sit in a glorified train station only to lose to the inevitable winner? I hate how this brilliant actor is being made a villain by the SJWs and hate how the dignified Boseman is being put in the middle of this also. " Oh, racist Hollywood gave an award to an old white man rather than a dead black man." Bullshit

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2021 11:59 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 26, 2021 12:02 PM

Add to your list: Glenn Close did not win Best Actress for "The Wife." And she should have.

by Anonymousreply 25April 26, 2021 12:07 PM

I would like to clarify. I'm not in anyway suggesting that the Academy is racist. I too have not see all of the best actor performances, including Hopkins. I just merely wanted to create a thread about a huge upset and also shocked that the loved by his peers, dead from colon cancer at 40, who played Jackie Robinson, loved by critics and audiences as well as james brown, who had should have been nominated at least twice in his career already, becoming A-list after playing black panther, did not win. If that makes any sense? I'm just shocked he didnt receive the most votes, or more votes than anyone else or doe sthe academy practice aranking system.

by Anonymousreply 26April 26, 2021 12:12 PM

[quote] The Academy loves handing out posthumurous Oscars to those who die in their prime.

You’re so full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 27April 26, 2021 12:13 PM

Who had been winning best lead male all season? There was no frontrunner, am I correct. Usually, the best male actor at the Oscars is a little bit more difficult to predict.

by Anonymousreply 28April 26, 2021 12:13 PM

If you saw a The Father you would know why Hopkins won. He was brilliant and I’m not always a fan of his work. Olivia Coleman was outstanding and I wish she had won for this and not that screeching performance she gave last year. Glenn should have won last year but award shows don’t always get it right. Last night they got it right.

by Anonymousreply 29April 26, 2021 12:18 PM

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom didn't get a Best Picture nomination, indicating a lack of enthusiasm of the film from the voters. Up to 10 films can be nominated and they only nominated 8, so it didn't even garner enough votes to fill up the available slots. I figured that David would lose for this reason, but I thought his death would be enough for Boseman to win.

by Anonymousreply 30April 26, 2021 12:19 PM

Someone is trying to understand the Academy? Talk about a fruitless endeavor.

by Anonymousreply 31April 26, 2021 12:19 PM

One reason it was such a shocker is because the show's producers rearranged the usual order of the show to set up a deification of Boseman, they were going for a tear jerker ending. He got the last spot on the In Memoriam segment. Best Actor was moved to last award to be issued. It was such an obvious set up. And it blew up in their faces. And it was obvious to anyone with a half a brain watching what the producers were up to. If they had kept to the usual order, it would still have been an upset, but not a complete fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 32April 26, 2021 12:21 PM

The whining and teeth-gnashing happening on Twitter over Boseman's loss is ridiculous - they're trying to cancel the Academy again to get what they want.

Could it be that they aren't in fact racist, but they didn't think his performance was as good as Hopkins?

It's bizarre that Twitter seems to think that he should get it just because it's his last chance and they want him to have it because he was well-liked.

It's supposed to be about the performance, not how well-liked the actor was or how "it's their last chance!" Lots of great actors went to their graves without getting Oscars.

See both performances and see if you agree! It's doubtful 99% of those whining have seen either.

The entitlement is unreal.

by Anonymousreply 33April 26, 2021 12:25 PM

I would disagree that Chadwick Boseman was loved by the Academy, because most people still did not know him very much, an unfortunate effect of his early demise. He was loved by Black Panther fans. Sir Anthony is an example of someone who is loved by the Academy, having more than half a century of history in the business.

by Anonymousreply 34April 26, 2021 12:26 PM

R32, so does no one in the Academy or the show producers know who the winners are before the event? Or is it limited to the social media-addicted accountants at Price Waterhouse?

by Anonymousreply 35April 26, 2021 12:26 PM

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom was simply too stagey, and Chadwick did the most of any of the actors to make it seem like a play. His was also a supporting performance, so at the end of the day voters probably felt his nomination was his award.

I honestly think that contrary to popular belief, not as many people win Oscars because they’re owed as people think. I’m in my late 30s and I’ve always been a film buff/Oscars viewer. Lauren Bacall, Eddie Murphy, Ben Affleck, Bill Murray, Sharon Stone, and Peter Fonda are just some of the people I remember who were OWED Oscars.

Honestly, Al Pacino was the last person to win an acting Oscar merely because it seemed like the window of opportunity was closing and he was “owed.”

by Anonymousreply 36April 26, 2021 12:26 PM

Now he's in good company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 26, 2021 12:29 PM

[quote] Eddie Murphy, Ben Affleck, Bill Murray, Sharon Stone, and Peter Fonda are just some of the people I remember who were OWED Oscars.

Eddie, Ben and that old whore Sharon Stone were OWED Oscars? I presume you mean they rented out their asses to some bigwigs and got shafted, because otherwise I don't see what they possible did to deserve anything

by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2021 12:30 PM

R25 No she shouldn’t have. The Wife sucked.

by Anonymousreply 39April 26, 2021 12:30 PM

It was so disrespectful to push director and best picture out of the in order for Boseman.

Well Boseman lost and the Academy looks like a fool now. 😂

by Anonymousreply 40April 26, 2021 12:34 PM

R19, do you have to have a problem with everything? Is it just not possible that black actors were nominated because they were good but they didn't win because they weren't the best? Not everything has to be about blackness. We're not going to get far in trying to achieve equity and judging people on the basis of who they are and what they do, not the colour of their skin, if some people try to make everything about being black. Here's a tip, r19: white people aren't as obsessed with black people as many black people like to imagine we are.

by Anonymousreply 41April 26, 2021 12:35 PM

Chad is cold and dead

by Anonymousreply 42April 26, 2021 12:35 PM

Did they all get awards last year? Do they want to get all the awards every year? Seems like this year it was all Chinese. Don’t they get a turn?

by Anonymousreply 43April 26, 2021 12:36 PM

No r43 to be Anti-Racist means you must forever center Black people, no other races have ever suffered as much as they have! Except possibly the trans POC, who should just be promoted to Godhood and given their own church!

by Anonymousreply 44April 26, 2021 12:39 PM

Won't anybody think about the poor chinese?

by Anonymousreply 45April 26, 2021 12:41 PM

Something similar happened the year Argo won, R32. They set it up for a Lincoln win and then Argo won, and the First Lady presenting the award made the whole US government propaganda angle of Argo REALLY stand out.

by Anonymousreply 46April 26, 2021 12:41 PM

Don't worry, they'll be getting lots of turns over the next few years... and not just at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 47April 26, 2021 12:41 PM

[quote] I would like to clarify. I'm not in anyway suggesting that the Academy is racist.

But it is! We know!

by Anonymousreply 48April 26, 2021 12:43 PM

r33, I don’t think the disappointment of Chadwick not winning Best Actor is not just about racism, which exists in the film industry like everywhere else. It’s also about what r32 laid out so very well. The Oscars’ producers were shady shits for doing what they did in how they put this years show together

by Anonymousreply 49April 26, 2021 12:45 PM

[quote]I'm not in anyway suggesting that the Academy is racist.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 50April 26, 2021 12:45 PM

Quit trying to make this about race. Black talent won plenty of awards last night.

by Anonymousreply 51April 26, 2021 12:50 PM

R32 they changed the entire format for the Oscars due to the ongoing pandemic, and the thing you think was specifically designed for Boseman was not, in fact, specifically designed for Boseman.

by Anonymousreply 52April 26, 2021 12:50 PM

R52 Then why was Best Actor the last award?

by Anonymousreply 53April 26, 2021 12:52 PM

Why not have a Black Academy Awards, black-run, black voter pool? I'm serious. White America and Black America have two separate and distinct cultures, and fifty+ years of pretending otherwise hasn't helped race relations. Why not acknowledge the obvious and have two separate awards?

If the Academy were dominated by black industry professionals, how many Oscars would Clint Eastwood or Woody Allen have? I'm guessing zero.

by Anonymousreply 54April 26, 2021 12:57 PM

Segregation is so progressive!

by Anonymousreply 55April 26, 2021 12:59 PM

It went from the deification of Boseman to the defecation on Boseman.

by Anonymousreply 56April 26, 2021 1:01 PM

"Why not have a Black Academy Awards, black-run, black voter pool? "

There are the BET Awards and the NAACP Spirit Awards.

by Anonymousreply 57April 26, 2021 1:04 PM

R36. The Academy owes Glenn Close an Oscar. Besides, she deserves one.

by Anonymousreply 58April 26, 2021 1:06 PM

I think most of Chadwick Boseman's fans are from the Black Panther or other good films he did. Making them watch MRBB will be punishment enough.

by Anonymousreply 59April 26, 2021 1:07 PM

Glenn Close winning a Best SUPPORTING Actress trophy for Hillbilly Elegy would’ve been a dubious honor. Sparing her such a public and enduring humiliation was a mercy...

by Anonymousreply 60April 26, 2021 1:09 PM

I haven't seen either film but dozens of my friends have (including a few that review films for a living) and the consensus across the board is that Chadwick's performance, while great, fit far better in Supporting.

Someone rolled the dice and figured the massive (and earned) respect for him in the wake of his passing would equal an Oscar.

Clearly even the Oscars producers thought sentiment would win the day, as well.

by Anonymousreply 61April 26, 2021 1:09 PM

I hear you, R55, and I used to agree with you. And I certainly don't think there should be all-white schools, etc. But when it comes to movies, music, etc, the reality is that blacks and whites have very different cultures and preferences. Yes, there's crossover of course, black people who enjoy Billy Joel and certainly a lot of whites who likes rap and hip-hop. But in general, they are different worlds.

So in a white-dominated society, you're going to get white music, movies, etc. dominating the awards. Not because voters en masse say to themselves "I hate black people and will never vote for them" but because they vote for what they like best and what white people like best is white people stuff.

If you don't like the idea of separate awards, what would you suggest? I'm open to ideas.

by Anonymousreply 62April 26, 2021 1:09 PM

R53 why do you assume it's because of Boseman that it was changed to be the last award? I seriously doubt the Academy was as focused on Boseman as Twitter is.

by Anonymousreply 63April 26, 2021 1:10 PM

"Seems like this year it was all Chinese"

What Chinese person, other than Zhao, won an Oscar? And she hasn't lived in China since she was 15.

"When she was 15 years old, despite knowing nearly no English, her parents sent her to Brighton College, a private boarding school in the United Kingdom.

Her parents separated and her father later remarried to comic actress Song Dandan, whom Zhao had grown up watching on television. Growing up, Zhao was drawn to influences from Western pop culture. After attending the boarding school in England, she moved to Los Angeles to finish high school.

Zhao studied at Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts, earning a bachelor's degree in political science. She studied film production at New York University Tisch School of the Arts.

by Anonymousreply 64April 26, 2021 1:12 PM

EVEN A FIVE YEAR OLD could figure out that the order of awards was changed for a Boseman win. Had he won, there would have been a standing O and an emotional cap to the evening.

by Anonymousreply 65April 26, 2021 1:12 PM

R62 or it could just be that black people are only 14% of the population in the US and as such it would be unusual for them to get more than 14% of the awards, unless Twitter thinks black people are innately better at acting than other races.

by Anonymousreply 66April 26, 2021 1:13 PM

"[R53] why do you assume it's because of Boseman that it was changed to be the last award? I seriously doubt the Academy was as focused on Boseman as Twitter is."

Then you know nothing about Hollywood, poor naive soul.

by Anonymousreply 67April 26, 2021 1:14 PM

R65 Uh, clearly not, because he didn't get the award. Why him and not all the other In Memoriam people, most with much bigger careers?

Think for ONE MINUTE that not everyone is as focused on Boseman as you are, and you might see how narrow your view is.

by Anonymousreply 68April 26, 2021 1:14 PM

Chadwick doesn’t need that award on his mantle. HE’S on his mantle!

by Anonymousreply 69April 26, 2021 1:17 PM

R67 So you think the Oscars were structured that way to give a memorable weepy finish to a recenyly-dead black actor in order to burnish the Academy's POC credentials, yet somehow the Academy is also so honest and forthright that they would never know in advance that Boseman wasn't going to win the

Or are you suggesting they structured it that way so it would be a big surprise for everyone when the prognosticators were all wrong that they had moved the order so that they would THINK they were going to honor Boseman, and then not do it?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Have you seen either of the movies in question? Asking seriously here, for my poor, naive soul!

by Anonymousreply 70April 26, 2021 1:19 PM

Because he didn’t deserve it for that performance and Anthony Hopkins did. He was brilliant.

Not complicated OP.

by Anonymousreply 71April 26, 2021 1:21 PM

The show often has some BS fucking over black people in particular. Remember when Moonlight was supposed to win and they said the wrong film? That was fucked.

by Anonymousreply 72April 26, 2021 1:23 PM

Well why else would they change the order of the awards? They never have as far as I know.

by Anonymousreply 73April 26, 2021 1:24 PM

Omg R69! Perfect! 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

by Anonymousreply 74April 26, 2021 1:27 PM

Hopkins is simply brilliant at his craft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 26, 2021 1:29 PM

R70, yes, you are naive. Let me ask you this: Why would the Academy, under serious fire for not being " diverse," set up a newly beloved dead black man ( who bravely worked during cancer treatments) to be humiliated that way? If they knew that Hopkins was going to win, why didn't they just change the format back, so that the " snubbing" of Boseman wouldn't be so obvious? No, it was supposed to be a coronation - an homage to the new Academy's makeup. Yes, I have seen both films and Hopkins was brilliant. Look at it this way. It was a great way to recognize one of the greatest actors in history. If they knew he was going to win, why would they taint his honor with the stink of controversy. Not much is being said about Hopkins today; everything is about Boseman.

by Anonymousreply 76April 26, 2021 1:31 PM

R73 are you joking? They change it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 77April 26, 2021 1:33 PM

Folks, if you think the few people here who think the award order was changed for Boseman are wrong, try to waddle out of your cave today and see the hundreds of people saying the same elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 78April 26, 2021 1:34 PM

R76 because THEY DIDN'T CHANGE THR ORDER FOR BOSEMAN in the first place, perhaps?

Or does that not fit into your narrow worldview?

They addressed the diversity fracas last year with rule changes for the awards.

by Anonymousreply 79April 26, 2021 1:35 PM

They clearly used Chadwick, a dead black man, for ratings. He was truly the one many were watching for. They dragged the award til the end to keep people from tuning out. That’s the truth. Sickening how this all went down.

by Anonymousreply 80April 26, 2021 1:35 PM

R78, you're suggesting the Twitter ignorati are saying otherwise so therefore it MUST be true? Please.

by Anonymousreply 81April 26, 2021 1:36 PM

The Disney hype machine is responsible for this shit. They wanted Boseman to win to keep their Marvel brand fresh in peoples minds.

by Anonymousreply 82April 26, 2021 1:36 PM

R82 no, it was because of Harry and Meghan, somehow!

by Anonymousreply 83April 26, 2021 1:37 PM

R69 wins the thread

by Anonymousreply 84April 26, 2021 1:37 PM

Thanks, Obama.

by Anonymousreply 85April 26, 2021 1:38 PM

[quote]EVEN A FIVE YEAR OLD could figure out that the order of awards was changed for a Boseman win. Had he won, there would have been a standing O and an emotional cap to the evening.

Seriously, they knew what they were doing.

People watched just to see that moment so they obviously moved it to the end to keep people hanging on. They used to do this all the time on a smaller scale by mentioning musical guests and presenters that wouldn't appear for several commercial breaks as if they were coming up next just to keep people watching.

As someone else said, this wouldn't have been as big of a deal if the Oscars didn't move the award to the end. I'm glad it blew up in their faces with the cherry on top being the winner wasn't even there.

[quote]The Disney hype machine is responsible for this shit. They wanted Boseman to win to keep their Marvel brand fresh in peoples minds.

They have zero control over the Oscars ceremony, don't be silly. The producers WANTED ratings. So they did what they had to do.

[quote]Why not have a Black Academy Awards, black-run, black voter pool?

Why not just not be a racist piece of shit?

[quote]I stopped taking it seriously after Tommy Lee Jones won Best Supporting Actor against Ralph Fiennes ...

People complain the Oscars aren't about who the best actor is. They say it's mostly politics and has been for years. Then those same people complain when other people start to realize it too and then want people to win that probably shouldn't win.

by Anonymousreply 86April 26, 2021 1:38 PM

"They addressed the diversity fracas last year with rule changes for the awards."

And yet, there is howling from the SJW crowd that not enough blacks won Oscars, because Hollywood is racist.

by Anonymousreply 87April 26, 2021 1:39 PM

As brilliant and deserving as Anthony Hopkins is, he's also older, familiar and safe. The Academy did not feel like being "radical" this year.

by Anonymousreply 88April 26, 2021 1:41 PM

R86

Yep!

They did the same thing at the Grammys with BTS.

by Anonymousreply 89April 26, 2021 1:42 PM

Always good to see FakeGermanGuy weigh in on racial issues.

by Anonymousreply 90April 26, 2021 1:42 PM

R86 sure, so the Academy is a bastion of integrity, except when they aren't. It all makes sense now.

by Anonymousreply 91April 26, 2021 1:42 PM

R88 ... Or it's because his performance was better.

by Anonymousreply 92April 26, 2021 1:43 PM

R82 is probably closer to the truth than anyone else. I never even thought this was about race...it was more about Chadwick being dead and maintaining interest in one of the most profitable franchises within the MCU (Black Panther was easily the best standalone movie, and it was the 5th most profitable of any of them...the only non-Avengers film in the top 5).

He was merely a pawn. Even people who want to make this about race should be taken to task for trying to commodify the work of a black man!!! Everyone’s trying to make a buck off HIS hard work.

by Anonymousreply 93April 26, 2021 1:43 PM

I liked Boseman. He seemed like a very good guy during interviews.

He was very good in Black Panther. But let's face it, it wasn't an Oscar worthy performance in most years. The pickings were fairly slim this year.

The "tribute" was that he was nominated at all, not to have won.

by Anonymousreply 94April 26, 2021 1:45 PM

Anthony Hopkins has posted a Thank You on his Instagram and acknowledges Chadwick Boseman:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 26, 2021 1:46 PM

R93 uh, Black Panther was a decent movie, but it wasn't great. It was just hyped the most because of its timing respective to the larger conversation about race in America.

by Anonymousreply 96April 26, 2021 1:47 PM

R95 he didn't mention it in the text though, which means he is racist!

by Anonymousreply 97April 26, 2021 1:48 PM

[quote]Anthony Hopkins has posted a Thank You on his Instagram and acknowledges Chadwick Boseman:

I can't help but think that Hopkins didn't attend because he assumed that Boseman would win, so didn't want to bother with it.

He was probably just as stunned as most people that Boseman didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 98April 26, 2021 1:49 PM

On March 18, producers for this year's ceremony sent a letter to nominees stating that all who wish to attend must attend in person, and no virtual options will be provided. "For those of you unable to attend because of scheduling or continued uneasiness about traveling, we want you to know there will not be an option to Zoom in for the show," wrote producers Steven Soderbergh, Stacey Sher and Jesse Collins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 26, 2021 1:49 PM

Black Panther had an important side purpose and I salute that. That said, like most superhero movies, it sucked. Movies are stories, and the storytelling was (again, like most superhero movies), a completely incoherent bore.

by Anonymousreply 100April 26, 2021 1:49 PM

I am not racist. I love Black people! I even capitalized Black to show how much I adore them!

by Anonymousreply 101April 26, 2021 1:51 PM

Please die.

by Anonymousreply 102April 26, 2021 1:51 PM

[quote]sure, so the Academy is a bastion of integrity, except when they aren't

When have they ever been? At no point do I believe I implied that they are.

Some actor or actress books a role that they HOPE will win them an Oscar, they campaign to get nominated, they campaign to win then you hope that the person winning is actually deserving of it. Sometimes they win because they did a great job and people just liked them the best, sometimes they win because they're the favorite amongst the voters or publicly at the time (Sandra Bullock) just such a sweetheart that you KNOW they have to win an award. Winning that award isn't always about the work. Winning it can be about the culmination of an entire career spent being a public darling and continually taking roles that people enjoy but individually never quite got a performer to the point where they should win because they were the best that year. It's about every connection a performer has made over their lifetime if not the year with every voter out there.

by Anonymousreply 103April 26, 2021 1:52 PM

Lol R101. I love when people capitalize black. I think it’s so cute.

by Anonymousreply 104April 26, 2021 1:53 PM

That is not a paragraph R2, it is a sentence.

by Anonymousreply 105April 26, 2021 1:53 PM

R103 the point was that you are so sure that the Academy producers wouldn't know in advance who wins the awards, yet they have no integrity about anything else. JUST that. Because it happens to fit better with this "ordering" narrative you are pushing.

by Anonymousreply 106April 26, 2021 1:54 PM

[quote]Black Panther had an important side purpose and I salute that.

I agree with this. The impact of the movie cannot be overstated since it proves that an all-black led movie can be a huge box office success.

Also, people LOVE the character, irrespective of his being black. They don't love him posthumously. They loved him at the time the movie was released.

It would be nice if the Shang Chi movie and the actor get the same kind of love...if the movie doesn't suck, that is.

by Anonymousreply 107April 26, 2021 1:56 PM

R100, I’m in the middle of binging the MCU movies so I can watch WandaVision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier and know what’s going on. So far, Iron Man, Ant Man, and Black Panther have been the best stand-alone films, meaning they made sense and were entertaining without having to know much about Infinity Stones, Hydra, Thanos, Kree and all that other shit. Of them, Black Panther was the best. After a recent re-watch, I don’t think it was GREAT, but it was entertaining and had a straightforward storyline as far as MCU movies go.

by Anonymousreply 108April 26, 2021 1:57 PM

R108 I thought Thor: Ragnarok was much better than Iron Man 2 or Black Panther.

by Anonymousreply 109April 26, 2021 1:59 PM

[quote]How did Chadwick Boseman lose?

He didn't lose anything. Oscars are given, they aren't "won"

If you try t apply a sports mentality to the arts, you will forever be confused. Art is subjective, personal and isn't defined by consensus approval.

Sometimes Oscars are given for truly great work and sometimes they aren't but nobody's work is diminished by not being given, what is essentially, a popularity award.

The simple answer is more of Academy voters voted for Anthony Hopkins because they were more impressed with that performance. The work speaks for itself and cannot be elevated or diminished by awards or lack of them.

by Anonymousreply 110April 26, 2021 2:02 PM

It actually would have been racist to choose Chadwick. Because it would have simply been about race. And not voting for the truly best performance (Hopkins) would have been racist because you would have been punishing him for being white.

Are people that dense?

by Anonymousreply 111April 26, 2021 2:03 PM

[quote]Are people that dense?

Yes, yes they are.

by Anonymousreply 112April 26, 2021 2:05 PM

R109, I didn’t say shit about Iron Man 2 (hated it) and let me emphasize, Black Panther: Best Stand Alone Film.

Thor: Ragnorak is my #3 in all the films of the franchise, while Black Panther is in my top 5...but Thor: Ragnorak is not a good STAND ALONE film. It was fun, but it wasn’t until I learned about the Tesseract, Dr. Strange, the Bifrost, Thor’s recurring dreams about the destruction of Asgard, and Heimdall’s treason did it really make much sense. The Thor films are some of the most complex, and each new film is dependent on having seen the previous films.

by Anonymousreply 113April 26, 2021 2:07 PM

Anthony Hopkins said he didn't expect to win, which is why he didn't attend either ceremony

by Anonymousreply 114April 26, 2021 2:09 PM

[quote]Eddie, Ben and that old whore Sharon Stone were OWED Oscars? I presume you mean they rented out their asses to some bigwigs and got shafted, because otherwise I don't see what they possible did to deserve anything

Yeah Eddie earned that Oscar for "Dreamgirls". Alan Arkin did absolutely nothing special in "Little Miss Sunshine", it was a lifetime achievement. He should have also been nominated for "Coming To America" & "The Nutty Professor" for his multiple characters that produced roars of laughter but the Academy continually shits on comedic performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115April 26, 2021 2:10 PM

Hopkins already won many Oscars. This was Chadwick’s last chance. He’ll never have an opportunity again. Fuck this.

by Anonymousreply 116April 26, 2021 2:11 PM

You could also say that an Oscar couldn't have possibly done anything for Chadwick because he's dead, but it can and will help keep an 83-year-old actor employed. That's the other side of the coin.

by Anonymousreply 117April 26, 2021 2:14 PM

[quote] It actually would have been racist to choose Chadwick. Because it would have simply been about race.

But they did that with all the other top categories. Why did they use merit for only the Best Actor? That was unfair to Boseman.

by Anonymousreply 118April 26, 2021 2:14 PM

I’ve never heard of this Chadwick person.

by Anonymousreply 119April 26, 2021 2:15 PM

R119

You’re a racist who lives under a rock.

by Anonymousreply 120April 26, 2021 2:16 PM

Just call Chadwick and Daniel the N word and get on with your day

You know you want to

by Anonymousreply 121April 26, 2021 2:17 PM

Or that I don’t watch comic book movie shit.

by Anonymousreply 122April 26, 2021 2:17 PM

R116 get a life.

by Anonymousreply 123April 26, 2021 2:18 PM

I know you want to use periods, R121. I know you want to.

by Anonymousreply 124April 26, 2021 2:18 PM

That’s not true, R118. Toward the end of the voting campaign, there were narratives developing that had Viola Davis winning her first Best Actress trophy, and Glenn Close winning because her window of opportunity was closing. Ultimately, the performances that were more deserving won.

This is the first year in a long, long time where all the acting nominees were the best in their respective categories (even though all the Best Actress nominees could’ve won and they would’ve deserved it...except Andra Day).

by Anonymousreply 125April 26, 2021 2:19 PM

I wish Covid would have taken out the woke. I do.

by Anonymousreply 126April 26, 2021 2:20 PM

He deserved to lose because Hopkins gave a better performance. Simple.

by Anonymousreply 127April 26, 2021 2:21 PM

It’s actually rather quaint and touching that after all this time, people still think that oscars are given to the best, or even the favorite, in any category.

It’s just an elaborate, preposterous Hollywood marketing ploy.

by Anonymousreply 128April 26, 2021 2:24 PM

Exactly R128.

Never forget Jennifer Lawrence won an Oscar over Emmanuelle Riva.

by Anonymousreply 129April 26, 2021 2:25 PM

Given the buzz on this year's best picture nominees all being considered depressing downers, and the decline in ratings, I suspect the telecast producers, going by the buzz that Bozeman was the likely winner, decided to change up the ordering of the awards so it could end on an inspirational, tear jerking but ultimately feel good moment with Boseman's widow up there crying as she gave the acceptance speech. People would have felt good that diversity was being recognized and that he was a nice guy, talented, who was in a hugely popular movie a couple of years ago that's still popular, and that he overcame adversity (cancer treatment) to turn in one last performance. People eat that corny crap up. The order of the awards wasn't changed by racist white people looking to stick it to Black people and humiliate Boseman. They really wanted to end the show on an inspiring note which Nomadland wouldn't have done given the nature of that movie. And it blew up in the faces of the telecast producers.

by Anonymousreply 130April 26, 2021 2:31 PM

r116 "Hopkins already won many Oscars. This was Chadwick’s last chance. He’ll never have an opportunity again. Fuck this."

Actually Hopkins has only won once - nearly 30 years ago!!

by Anonymousreply 131April 26, 2021 2:32 PM

R113 i didn't know any of those things and still thought Thor: Ragnarok was a good standing film.

by Anonymousreply 132April 26, 2021 2:34 PM

I wish Anthony had said something innocuous that would have made their heads explode such as, "It's such a great honor to carry on the tradition of English actors..." or something to that effect.

by Anonymousreply 133April 26, 2021 3:03 PM

Anthony should’ve taken an opportunity to honor, “the late Chandler Bowman.”

by Anonymousreply 134April 26, 2021 3:05 PM

[quote] The Academy loves handing out posthumurous Oscars to those who die in their prime.

There have only been two posthumous acting winners in 93 years.

by Anonymousreply 135April 26, 2021 3:10 PM

[quote] What Chinese person, other than Zhao, won an Oscar?

The one for Supporting Actress, and then they won Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 136April 26, 2021 3:14 PM

He has another chance next year with the biopic, "Stepin Fetchit".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137April 26, 2021 3:14 PM

Strange how that misperception has taken flight, R135.

R135: Having lived in South Korea, I would love to see what would happen if you mistook a Korean person as Chinese in real life. Of course, you’d have to make sure your will is updated and you’d have to be okay with a violent death.

by Anonymousreply 138April 26, 2021 3:16 PM

Well said R23

by Anonymousreply 139April 26, 2021 3:25 PM

[quote] They have zero control over the Oscars ceremony, don't be silly. The producers WANTED ratings. So they did what they had to do.

You do know that Disney owns ABC so they are in fact the producers of the Oscars, yes? I doubt Soderbergh gives a shit about ratings since for him and the other two producers this was a one shot deal and they have no plans to come back.

ABC/Disney however, have a huge stake in the success of the Oscars from both an advertising and branding standpoint. It’ll probably come out a few years from now that Disney were the ones manipulating the order of the ceremony, just as it was revealed they were the studio pushing for the Best Popular Film category to be added.

by Anonymousreply 140April 26, 2021 3:25 PM

The Academy is run by lizard people and Mickey Mouse is a real humanoid rat!

by Anonymousreply 141April 26, 2021 3:27 PM

Hopkins doesn’t like to campaign and has been open about thinking how ridiculous it has gotten, so I’m not sure in a normal year he would’ve shown up.

by Anonymousreply 142April 26, 2021 3:29 PM

I am so glad I didn't watch that mess or any of the films nominated. I knew you bitches would tell me what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 143April 26, 2021 3:31 PM

R136 Youn Yuh-jung is Korean.

by Anonymousreply 144April 26, 2021 3:32 PM

I was (and still am) a big fan of Boseman's. But frankly, Ma Rainey was not his finest performance. IMHO, it wasn't even his best performance this year; I actually preferred him in Da Five Bloods. I firmly believe that he was well on his way to becoming a giant star. Talent, looks, charisma. He had it all.

But Hopkins's performance was just insanely good. Forgetting sentiment and politics, and considering nothing other than the performances themselves, I would have voted for Hopkins, too.

by Anonymousreply 145April 26, 2021 3:37 PM

Ma Rainey was crap. All the performances in Ma Rainey were OTT, strident and try-too-hard. The director's useless. It was like a filmed stage play. Movie critics didn't dare pan it for fear of being attacked by woke twitter.

The Father was superb and Hopkins gave a towering performance.

by Anonymousreply 146April 26, 2021 3:48 PM

Chad must be so upset about losing to Hopkins. Oh. Wait.

by Anonymousreply 147April 26, 2021 4:03 PM

R145 Netflix blundered - they should have pushed him for supporting in D5B. As I intimated upthread, their entire award season strategy seemed off. Add Disney and their attempted deification of Boseman into the mix, the Oscar campaign was set up for failure.

by Anonymousreply 148April 26, 2021 4:05 PM

I think it’s embarrassing to be nominated for an Academy Award. What a trashy, woke event. Serious actors should run.

by Anonymousreply 149April 26, 2021 4:06 PM

Truth be told, Ma Rainey's...was pretty lazy and uninspired as far as adaptations go. Besides, August Wilson has had his work recognized time and again. Exactly how progressive is it to continue adapting his place instead of telling new stories by black creators. I love Denzel and Viola, but they need to start thinking outside the box given their influence in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 150April 26, 2021 4:06 PM

R69 sums up this issue well.

by Anonymousreply 151April 26, 2021 4:13 PM

[quote] [R136] Youn Yuh-jung is Korean.

Oh for heaven’s sake. It’s all the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 152April 26, 2021 4:16 PM

R152 reminds me Joy from My Name is Earl:

"I don't care if she's Chinese, Japanese, or Chuck-E Cheese!"

by Anonymousreply 153April 26, 2021 4:20 PM

Hopkins has long given up the awards circuit. I stated this in another Oscar thread. The last time he showed up was to present Emma Thompson her second Oscar for adapting Sense and Sensibility in 1996. He used to live in LA but moved to Wales. Under normal conditions, he wouldn’t have been there. He’s very private, but still works in many projects on TV and film. I like Boseman and was flip flopping on who would win. But I heard over the weekend that Academy voters felt Boseman would win so they were voting for Hopkins. It should always be about the quality of the performance, not popularity. Unfortunately the Oscars aren’t always about solely merit. Hopkins is a master of his craft and it was a brilliant performance.

by Anonymousreply 154April 26, 2021 4:20 PM

R154, he still lives in California. After he got vaccinated a few months ago, he said he was going to Wales for a long holiday, to see relatives he hadn't seen in over a year. You're right in most of what you said, but it's a bit disingenuous to imply he's given up on Hollywood entirely.

by Anonymousreply 155April 26, 2021 4:27 PM

They fucked up big time. Viewership is going to be dramatically down next year, watch.

by Anonymousreply 156April 26, 2021 5:05 PM

Hopkins got support from a black British actress, his co-star in Westworld Thandiwe Newton. Darling @AnthonyHopkins winning his #Oscar. Legend xx

by Anonymousreply 157April 26, 2021 5:05 PM

I felt bad for Glenn Close last night.

by Anonymousreply 158April 26, 2021 5:08 PM

This all speaks to why actors even compete against each other.

I never saw whoever won the year Bette Davis lost for playing Margo in All About Eve, but I know that I'll watch her performance a hundred times before I ever saw who won once.

I think it's great that the industry comes together for one night to celebrate films; like all reality shows, it needs to be a competition to get eyeballs.

by Anonymousreply 159April 26, 2021 5:10 PM

Eat, then go back in your cave r119

by Anonymousreply 160April 26, 2021 5:36 PM

Yaaaaas. ^^

by Anonymousreply 161April 26, 2021 5:39 PM

Glenn Close doesn’t give a fuck. For her, it’s all about the work.

by Anonymousreply 162April 26, 2021 5:41 PM

Viewership for all these awards shows is dramatically down every year, r156, but I'm not sure why you think that has anything to do with Boseman. Perhaps some black people live in a bubble and think the world revolves around them, but that movie was a snoozefest, and Boseman's lengthy monologues could be rather turgid at times.

by Anonymousreply 163April 26, 2021 5:42 PM

How can you possibly subscribe to a belief that a RECORDED performance you saw on Friday is somehow "the best" because it got an award on a Sunday night? It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 164April 26, 2021 6:02 PM

And I think you're UNDERREACTING Mr. Chadwick!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 26, 2021 6:24 PM

Maybe not everybody thought he was the best of the bunch, i remember a critic in Spain having a really bad reaction to him and Andra Day winning the golden globes. He was as direct as calling that wins political. He said both performances were good but very far from the best of the nominees.

And i doubt he was the only one who thought that.

Boseman was a good actor and it was a pity that he died but they should vote for the best perfomrnace (i don't know if he was the best or not because i didn't watch the films)

by Anonymousreply 166April 26, 2021 6:28 PM

Honestly. Anthony Hopkins’ performance was better than Boseman’s.

by Anonymousreply 167April 26, 2021 6:28 PM

I'm so over the narrative that anyone is ENTITLED to an award.

And Boseman was good, if hammy, in Ma Rainey, but his role was very contrived and stagey. It was clearly a role written for the stage with little effort to adapt it to the screen.

by Anonymousreply 168April 26, 2021 6:33 PM

R154 my bad. You’re right. I remember hearing something last year they were trying to get him to attend when he was nominated considering it was so close to the Dolby, but he nixed it. Even in 1992 when he won for Silence he thought about not going and was just going to watch it in a bar, convinced he was going to lose to Nolte. He was on a roll after Silence and was nominated three more times in the 90s and attended for his first two after winning and presented three times in this time frame. Hes just lost interest in attending now. If you look through Google pics, he never attended even his two Emmy wins, since there are no pics of him there and skipped it when he was up for Westworld. He’s pretty much checked out of the Hollywood game, but continues to work and zoom just nothing awards wise.

by Anonymousreply 169April 26, 2021 6:36 PM

[[R136]] Youn Yuh-jung is Korean. "Oh for heaven’s sake. It’s all the same thing."

Yes, China and South Korea are so much alike.... and have great affection for each other.

by Anonymousreply 170April 26, 2021 6:37 PM

I would bet that most of the wailing SJWs never even saw the films starring Hopkins or Boseman.

by Anonymousreply 171April 26, 2021 6:38 PM

Hopkins should have won for Remains of the Day too. R171 Joy Reid who started up screaming about the fact all the acting winners weren't black, said she'd never seen The Father.

by Anonymousreply 172April 26, 2021 6:40 PM

I think a lot of voters assumed others would vote for Boseman so they picked the one they liked, not thinking he would actually win.

It’s like someone in a red state voting for a democrat. You assume your vote won’t make a difference but you do it on principle. Sometimes, like in Georgia and last night, you get a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 173April 26, 2021 6:44 PM

R172 I was thinking that too. He’s definitely owed one for TROTD. But he more than earned it for The Father. He lost to Hanks when he was nominated for Remains and Hanks isn’t half the actor Hopkins is.

by Anonymousreply 174April 26, 2021 6:46 PM

[quote] Joy Reid who started up screaming about the fact all the acting winners weren't black

That’s news to me...

by Anonymousreply 175April 26, 2021 6:52 PM

Daniel, you're not black, you're British.

by Anonymousreply 176April 26, 2021 6:54 PM

[quote] Yes, China and South Korea are so much alike....

You’re not fooling me with your woke shit. They look exactly the same. You can’t tell them apart. I’m pretty sure they all came from China to begin with. Don’t jump on me with semantics.

by Anonymousreply 177April 26, 2021 7:12 PM

Chadwick was a wonderful person, but I estimate 98 percent of people outraged about the results of that category did not sit through MRBB, like I unfortunately did.

by Anonymousreply 178April 26, 2021 7:17 PM

Anthony Hopkins didn't bother turning up when he was nominated last year and it was clear Brad Pitt was winning. Judi Dench didn't show up much either.

R99 that letter from the producers of the Oscars sounds mildly intimidating. They fucked it up.

by Anonymousreply 179April 26, 2021 7:17 PM

R173 I doubt it. People keep saying this, but I think it is an excuse that discredits Hopkins much better performance. If that were the case, wouldn’t a lot more movies with a “shoe in” winner end up not getting it?

I think enough voters thought that Chadwick didn’t give a great performance. It was a fine performance for a decent film, but lets be honest, if he hadn’t died this year he wouldn’t have been nominated.

Plus, there were other diverse nominees this year. Maybe voters figured that since non white actors would win other categories, they could vote for the old white guy who they generally liked over the dead black guy in a decent but not great film.

by Anonymousreply 180April 26, 2021 7:17 PM

R180 I was hearing this weekend that various media outlets reported in their academy sampling of voters that many of them voted for Hopkins because they knew Boseman was winning. I think this is how Close lost to Colman. When Arkin won over Murphy, it was the same thing. Boseman did a fine job, he’s just not in Hopkins league, but might’ve gotten there if he lived. The wins for all the actors that won at the Oscars and at the precursors were pretty split, so this is the natural result. Unless the performance is universally loved, it’s most likely going to lose at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 181April 26, 2021 7:28 PM

I’m not sure there’s a lot of mind to bottle.

by Anonymousreply 182April 26, 2021 7:31 PM

The bad guy Michael B. Jordan in the Marvel movie acted better than him.

Sorry but Chadwick acted about as stoic and wooden as Scarlett Johansson.

by Anonymousreply 183April 26, 2021 7:35 PM

R173 I think most european members of the Academy voted for Hopkins

by Anonymousreply 184April 26, 2021 8:23 PM

True equality is about awarding the best artist, regardless of his or her stupid skin pigmentation. Aspire to create it, whiney bitches.

Chadwick dying is not the same as giving the best performance. Lots of reverse racism rearing its head today by a lot of unevolved thinkers and assholes.

by Anonymousreply 185April 26, 2021 8:30 PM

I heard a lot of the push on social media for Chadwick was coming from Disney trying to keep interest in Black Panther alive. Unlike Chadwick. Disney didn't give a shit about Chadwick or Ma Rainey. So Disney got all of black twitter all het up to push him. And Disney is royally pissed Chadwick didn't tell them he had cancer.

by Anonymousreply 186April 26, 2021 9:03 PM

He gave a mediocre performance in a mediocre film and was dead so couldn't campaign. I don't even think he was 2nd (Riz was).

by Anonymousreply 187April 26, 2021 9:07 PM

One of the effects of having SO MANY PRECURSOR AWARDS is that it gives the same voters the opportunity to hesitate and second-guess by the time they get to the Oscars. This appears to have affected a lot of the recent frontrunners - last year's "1917", Glenn Close of course, and most notoriously "La La Land."

by Anonymousreply 188April 26, 2021 9:15 PM

fyi "1917" won the Golden Globe, PGA, DGA and BAFTA last year - and yet it lost the Oscar to Parasite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189April 26, 2021 9:18 PM

"Chadwick Boseman Can't Lose"? Wasn't that a Fox sitcom in the early 90s?

by Anonymousreply 190April 26, 2021 9:21 PM

Chadwick is in heaven and could care less.

by Anonymousreply 191April 26, 2021 9:24 PM

I don't know if he was thought of as "due" for an Oscar. Besides Black Panther he never really did any films that were that popular or acclaimed.

by Anonymousreply 192April 26, 2021 9:25 PM

[quote] the point was that you are so sure that the Academy producers wouldn't know in advance who wins the awards, yet they have no integrity about anything else. JUST that. Because it happens to fit better with this "ordering" narrative you are pushing.

R106, Yeah, you read what I wrote and created your own fantasy around it based upon things that weren't said and weren't there.

Does Elvis talk to you? Do you still believe in the power of crystals and go shopping at the "mall?" How do you react when I mention Meghan Markle's name? I don't care to find out so, bye.

by Anonymousreply 193April 26, 2021 9:28 PM

[quote]Glenn Close doesn’t give a fuck. For her, it’s all about the work.

How do you know? The day it was announced Peter O'Toole an eight time loser was announced as the Lifetime Achievement honoree that year he instantly turned it down. He said he wanted to win one. His kids convinced him to accept and show up. Actors are human and have egos, no one wants to be remembered as the biggest loser. She has managed to show up each year so she just might care.

by Anonymousreply 194April 26, 2021 9:40 PM

Poor Viola.

by Anonymousreply 195April 26, 2021 9:40 PM

Systemic racism, OP.

Duh. Where have you been?

by Anonymousreply 196April 26, 2021 9:42 PM

That was a tedious film. People were bored.

by Anonymousreply 197April 26, 2021 9:44 PM

R186, I honestly don’t know the answer to this, but I have heard about actors being “uninsurable”. Isn’t there some kind of medical exam that’s done on the principal actors, to make sure they won’t drop dead during filming?

Would his cancer have been detected in a routine insurance company exam?

by Anonymousreply 198April 26, 2021 9:46 PM

Were there Black Panther sequels planned? Still? Will they replace him?

by Anonymousreply 199April 26, 2021 9:50 PM

[quote] How the fuck does Daniel Kalluya win best supporting

Actors — or maybe their agents? — decide which category to submit their potential nominations. It’s bot just the Actors’ Branch just throwing names out there. Nominations of the top 5 come from a list of submissions.

by Anonymousreply 200April 26, 2021 10:07 PM

A certain group really brought the class last night. From cursing incessantly during a harmless trivia game to referencing your parents fucking while accepting an award to wearing stoner sunglasses inside the whole time.

Keep it classy.

by Anonymousreply 201April 26, 2021 10:21 PM

[quote]Can someone explain how it was possible. The Academy loves handing out posthumurous Oscars to those who die in their prime.

That has happened exactly once, op. Try again.

(I'm referring to Heath Ledger of course; Peter Finch was not in his prime when he won)

by Anonymousreply 202April 26, 2021 10:25 PM

R193 you're the one here pushing conspiracy theories. Nice deflection attempt though.

by Anonymousreply 203April 26, 2021 10:29 PM

[quote]He seems to be in Wales right now, [R10], although I thought he lived in LA.

He's 84. He moved back home because that's where he wants to die.

I've loved Anthony Hopkins since the 70s; it breaks my heart to know that he may not be long for this world.

by Anonymousreply 204April 26, 2021 10:31 PM

Don't worry, r204, Robot Anthony Hopkins will live on!

by Anonymousreply 205April 26, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote]No one is entitled to an Oscar because he's black and dead.

[quote]I'm so over the narrative that anyone is ENTITLED to an award.

The posters who keep shrieking about black people thinking they're "entitled" to Oscars need to take a look in the mirror. Do you not even read all the racist bullshit that gets posted on Datalounge anytime the subject of Oscars come up or do you just skip over it and pretend like it's not there to make yourself feel better? As a gay black person who loves film and enjoys watching and discussing the Oscars, I can barely stand to read these threads because every other comment is from some racist white queen about how "blacks" do not ever deserve to be honored at the Oscars over some always-more-deserving white person. You not only think whites are entitled to win every Oscar in every category, some of you are now even peddling the idea that black people and white people should have "separate" Oscars because whites and blacks just don't "like" the same things. But yes, please go on about how black people are the ones who feel entitled to Oscars and you don't.

I for one would always say there are few actors of any color who come anywhere close to having the talent of an Anthony Hopkins; the man is in a category very few inhabit and I would never say he does not deserve to win an Oscar. And I'm not saying it now -- I've no doubt his performance in "The Father" was spectacular and one I'm sure I will cherish once I see the film. I saw "Ma Rainey" and though Chadwick was good in it, I would not say it was a performance that deserved an Academy Award (and I didn't even like "Black Panther"), so I don't doubt that Sir Anthony's win was justified; however, I'm also sure, given the shitty racist assholes who post regularly on this site, that many of you crowing about Hopkins don't really give a fuck about how "amazing" he was, you're just jumping for joy that the dead black guy lost. If Hopkins had been nominated against any other white actor who was favored to win but lost, it just wouldn't fill you with the same thrill as having him beat the black guy because you never think any black person has the right to take an Oscar away from a white person. But then you take it to a new low by projecting your bullshit onto black people by saying we're the ones who think we're "entitled" to win, even now as some of you actually peddle the idea that blacks and whites should have "separate" Oscars because we just don't "like" the same things. Unbelievable.

Hell, listening to some of you so-called "liberals," I might as well go spend all my time on MAGA chat boards. At least there all the goddamned snakes show their true forms upfront and not pretend to be my allies until a black person winning an Oscar rips the masks off.

by Anonymousreply 206April 26, 2021 10:47 PM

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 207April 26, 2021 10:54 PM

R206 seems triggered.

by Anonymousreply 208April 26, 2021 11:07 PM

R206 crybaby

How do you call sudden awarding blacks by Academy in one year? Thanks to Oscarsowhite..Not begging for oscars? Dont blame people about that'racism" lol because you forced academy to give them to blacks

by Anonymousreply 209April 26, 2021 11:13 PM

R206 The problem was that people were expecting Boseman to win just because he was black. I'm sure there would be actual backlash had it gone to white actor who was undeserving. Any political campaigning on behalf of the nominees would be considered distasteful for any reason, but especially now when the awards have become increasingly irrelevant. Mostly because of politics but also due to the fact that movies have become way too heavy handed with their messaging.

I would totally support more prominent roles for African Americans but I think this awards campaigning is mostly self serving and doesn't change the industry landscape at all. It's just another example of appearing to be woke without doing any of the work.

by Anonymousreply 210April 26, 2021 11:18 PM

Not having seen the Hopkins film I can't comment on who should have won, but I saw MRBB and thought Boseman was fine, but not a standout performance, and definitely a supporting and not a staring role.

But then I'm old enough to have seen the original B'way production and the electrifying performance of Charles Dutton in the role.

Dutton was an ex-con, served time for manslaughter in a knife fight, and was himself stabbed in prison and nearly died .

Boseman's explosion of violence was no comparison to Dutton's

by Anonymousreply 211April 26, 2021 11:35 PM

Yeah, we get it, R206. White people are all evil racists, blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 212April 26, 2021 11:43 PM

"posthumurous"? Oh dear.

And only TWO posthumous Oscars have every been given as acting prizes in AA history, though hundreds of awards have been given out: to peter Finch for "Network" and heath ledger for "The Dark Knight." So no, the Academy does NOT love handing them out--you're wrong.

by Anonymousreply 213April 26, 2021 11:53 PM

R43/R136/R152/R177 is doubling-down on his willful ignorance after several people have already corrected him.

Nothing to do with being woke or not, but if you had bothered to check, the name Youn Yuh-jung should have clued you in that she's not Chinese. You're too fucking lazy to notice a simple detail. Laziness goes hand in hand with ignorance. Congratulations!

You sound just like some of these fossilized smug eldergays on DL, with their ancient jokes (Sum Ting Wong), who think all Asians are interchangeable, a monolith. Thankfully, those dumbfucks are dying out.

by Anonymousreply 214April 27, 2021 12:07 AM

To me Chadwick Baseman's performance could have easily been in either supporting or lead. He has more screentime than anyone else, including Viola, and is not a no name actor. Usually a-list actors who have the most screentime than anyone of else of their perspective gender get the lead category. On the same note, his trajectory is cemented around Ma Rainey's story arc and overall pulse of the film. But that's why is so mind boggling that Daniel would be put in the supporting category. He costars with Lakeith and is receives top billing and is the goddam protaganist or hero one might say. The academy be playing games with black folk.

by Anonymousreply 215April 27, 2021 12:38 AM

Wow r206 hit the nail on the head and you all are MAD!

by Anonymousreply 216April 27, 2021 12:43 AM

R215 the Academy doesn't decide what category a performance goes into. The actor, his or her agent and sometimes the studio decide. Stop with your bullshit. Kaluuya probably thought Boseman was a lock because he died and asked to be campaigned in supporting. This is known as category fraud.

by Anonymousreply 217April 27, 2021 12:46 AM

My theory: Steven Yeun and Chadwick Boseman split the younger/more diverse Oscar vote, and all the crusty old white Academy voters, still the majority, all voted for Anthony Hopkins.

IMO Hopkins gave one of the best performances of his already superlative career in "The Father" and deserved it based on performances alone. Yeun, I'm sure, will get another shot - he's relatively young, handsome, well-liked and very talented on several levels, but I can't help but feel sad that Boseman's family had to see him lose his last chance at an Oscar after losing him so young.

by Anonymousreply 218April 27, 2021 12:46 AM

R218 if you read all the 'anonymous Oscar voter' entries on Hollywood Reporter, Indiewire, etc., the vast majority felt terrible about Boseman but were voting for Hopkins.

by Anonymousreply 219April 27, 2021 12:50 AM

[quote] Nothing to do with being woke or not, but if you had bothered to check, the name Youn Yuh-jung should have clued you in that she's not Chinese. You're too fucking lazy to notice a simple detail.

I would doubt it's laziness; I would think it's ignorance.

The name would mean nothing to I would guess more than 75% of non-Asian Americans. They would have no idea if it were Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Cambodian, Laotian, or Thai.

by Anonymousreply 220April 27, 2021 12:51 AM

R219 that makes sense. I do think Hopkins genuinely gave the best male lead performance of the year by a long shot, and "The Father" is a wonderful film.

by Anonymousreply 221April 27, 2021 12:52 AM

I love Glenn so much. She is so real and down to earth. And to me a better actress than M. And no I'm not one of those M. haters, who won't a knowledge her talent. I think it makes Glen more iconic that she keeps losing. Nearly all of my favorite films that were nominated for best film, lost in their perspective years

by Anonymousreply 222April 27, 2021 12:52 AM

I am not a racist however I still think Sum Ting Wong is funny. As is my former colleague's name: Nguyen Duc Phuc.

by Anonymousreply 223April 27, 2021 12:52 AM

[quote] This has only happened twice, to Peter Finch for Network and Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, in what were both considered legendary performances.

Oh, please, Heath’s performance isn’t considered legendary. People felt bad. Daniel Day Lewis was up there campaigning for him every chance he got.

by Anonymousreply 224April 27, 2021 12:54 AM

[quote] My theory: Steven Yeun and Chadwick Boseman split the younger/more diverse Oscar vote, and all the crusty old white Academy voters, still the majority, all voted for Anthony Hopkins.

So are you suggesting younger and more diverse voters couldn't appreciate Hopkins performance?

by Anonymousreply 225April 27, 2021 12:54 AM

OP How did Peter O'Toole and Glen Close lose 8 times? or Deborah Kerr and Richard Burton 7 times? or Amy Adams 6 times? or Alfred Hitchcock 5 times? Shit happens! Chadwick is past caring. So why should you?

by Anonymousreply 226April 27, 2021 12:55 AM

R217, I thought the actors team and studio advertise for a certain category but ultimately the academy decides. This politicking with the categories make the award show dead on arrival.

by Anonymousreply 227April 27, 2021 12:55 AM

R226 I believe in an afterlife and eternal spirit so carry the fuck on.

by Anonymousreply 228April 27, 2021 12:56 AM

[quote] This politicking with the categories make the award show dead on arrival.

That's the least of this show's problems. Most of the nominated films wouldn't even be considered if it weren't for politicking.

by Anonymousreply 229April 27, 2021 12:57 AM

R225 no, just that the people who were going to vote for either Boseman or Yeun were young and diverse.

by Anonymousreply 230April 27, 2021 12:58 AM

for the Oscars people can vote for a person in whatever category they choose lead or supporting. They usually go by the ads and previous awards as guides. (but they can do whatever they want. Like when Kate Winslet was pushed as supporting for The Reader or the reverse this year with Lakeith Stanfield.)

The Golden Globes decide themselves who goes in what category.

For SAG the actor or their reps fill out a form saying which category they want to be in. (Hence sometimes there were mistakes. Christoph Waltz got put into lead at SAG by mistake from his agents)

by Anonymousreply 231April 27, 2021 1:10 AM

R230, add in Riz Ahmed, who was in a movie that Academy members really loved, is roughly Yeun’s age and probably has a lot of appeal to younger voters.

by Anonymousreply 232April 27, 2021 1:11 AM

"I am not a racist however I still think Sum Ting Wong is funny"

Guess again. It is savagely racist, especially considering the context in which it was first uttered.

by Anonymousreply 233April 27, 2021 1:18 AM

British actors - black and white - get nominated and sometimes win because they actually go to fucking acting school - RADA, Central School, etc. - and then they join repertory companies to do classical and modern theatre to hone their craft.

American actors: somebody once told them they were good-looking and they head for Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 234April 27, 2021 1:20 AM

The origin of Sum Ting Wong in reference to a plane crash in which people were killed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235April 27, 2021 1:20 AM

R235 Oh, dear. I feel chastised. I still love Nguyen Duc Phuc.

by Anonymousreply 236April 27, 2021 1:22 AM

He was nominated in the wrong category. It wasn't a lead.

by Anonymousreply 237April 27, 2021 2:10 AM

The voters just didn’t like Ma Rainey. That writing was on the wall when they snubbed it for picture and screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 238April 27, 2021 3:04 AM

R228 You certainly sound like a spiritual person. With all those afterlife parties to attend, he's beyond the need for an Oscar now, don't you think? Do you believe in fate? Chad was ill-fated in this life so move on basement dweller. Wishing you a happier afterlife.

by Anonymousreply 239April 27, 2021 3:12 AM

Had it been Ma Rainey's Black Top he would have been a shoo-in.

by Anonymousreply 240April 27, 2021 3:13 AM

There are apparently all kinds of reasons the most deserving do not win!

by Anonymousreply 241April 27, 2021 3:28 AM

R235 that reference is far older

by Anonymousreply 242April 27, 2021 3:43 AM

This thread is nominated for Best Neologism (“mind-bottling”) and Best Suave Phrase (“Twitter ignorati”).

by Anonymousreply 243April 27, 2021 3:44 AM

no r234 repertory companies have disappeared in England and the schools are not far behind. Drama Centre went out of business. LAMDA laid off 80 percent of their faculty and RADA has produced very successful actors in recent years (once they got diverse and stopped churning out proper British gentlemen like Ralph Fiennes and Kenneth Brannagh agents lost interest in their showcases.)

Although Tom Hiddleston was a success but that was mainly due to his "relationship" with Brannagh.

Phoebe Waller Bridge too but she wrote her own sex life play and broke in that way not thru the classics.

by Anonymousreply 244April 27, 2021 3:45 AM

He got less votes than Anthony Hopkins.

by Anonymousreply 245April 27, 2021 3:49 AM

I wasn't surprised Hopkins won just because so many anonymous Academy voters raved about his performance. If there's no one great performance, Academy voters will give it to an actor they like or they feel is owed it for some reason. But every now and then there's a great performance that connects with voters. This year it was Hopkins, in 2019, it was Olivia Colman, Juliette Binoche shocked everyone when she beat out Lauren Bacall.

This year, I felt like Academy voters were trying to spread the wealth--the only big shut-out was Chicago 7.

I'd say Frances McDormand winning was the biggest surprise, but she was the center of the Best Picture, so in a way, she's the logical choice.

By the same token, Ma Rainey got disappointing reviews. If a voter didn't enjoy a movie, then they're less inclined to reward the performances, though there are exceptions.

This felt like one of these times where voters really did vote for favorite performances. The one reward I thought was undeserving was the original screenplay for Promising Young Woman. It had all sorts of issues.

by Anonymousreply 246April 27, 2021 4:02 AM

It's sad because Boseman was a superlative actor and will never have the opportunity to win an Academy Award again.

Hopkins is old and likely won't have another chance either but he already has one.

by Anonymousreply 247April 27, 2021 4:15 AM

Both of Hopkins' wins were shockers. He wasn't the favorite either time.

by Anonymousreply 248April 27, 2021 4:18 AM

Speaking of Phoebe Waller Bridge, they better shoot that new Indiana Jones soon. Harry Ford seemed close to the end last night.

by Anonymousreply 249April 27, 2021 4:25 AM

[quote]I just merely wanted to create a thread about a huge upset

OP/r26: was it actually a huge upset? Hopkins won the BAFTA just a week ago, the UK acting bloc makes up a large percentage of Academy voters so a win for Hopkins was actually predicted this past week. Riz Ahmed won at the Spirit Awards the other night so its not like Boseman was a total lock. Plus, Hopkins put in the performance of his career in The Father.

It wasn't that much an upset by the home stretch, when it was obvious the race had opened up. Boseman left a great body of work to admire, he was only entering the "main awards phase" of his career at the time of his death (early 40s is a key age when lead actors gain traction as award-worthy, especially with AMPAS). It's unfortunate, but blame the evils of cancer for cutting short a brilliant career, and robbing CB of the several awards he was likely to have eventually won.

by Anonymousreply 250April 27, 2021 4:35 AM

Gary Oldman was Oscar worthy in Mank creating a convincing multi-faceted real life character as Herman Mankiewicz as he did with Churchill, Lee Harvey Oswald, Sid Vicious, Beethoven and Joe Orton

by Anonymousreply 251April 27, 2021 4:53 AM

I hope Jodie Foster congratulated him. She just won a Golden Globe. 30 years after Silence, they're still doing excellent work.

by Anonymousreply 252April 27, 2021 5:59 AM

[quote]Both of Hopkins' wins were shockers. He wasn't the favorite either time.

Hopkins' Best Actor wins for Silence of the Lambs:

Academy Awards

BAFTA

Boston Society of Film Critics

Chicago Film Critics Association

Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association

Kansas City Film Critics Circle

National Board of Review (in Supporting category)

NY Film Critics

Sant Jordi Awards

20/20 Awards

Fangoria Awards

Saturn Awards

by Anonymousreply 253April 27, 2021 7:03 AM

The truth is no one was saying what a superlative actor he was until he died because he wasn’t. He was alright actor.

by Anonymousreply 254April 27, 2021 7:08 AM

You guys really think Chadwick was mad on his way to heaven?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255April 27, 2021 7:16 AM

Yes r253 but Nick Nolte was still considered the favorite because he had won the Globe. (and nobody paid attention to those critics awards because there was no internet to read about them and BAFTA was given out after the Oscars.)

by Anonymousreply 256April 27, 2021 7:42 AM

Silence of the Lambs was seen as a little too much of a horror movie to be an Academy Awatds shoe-in. But it turned out to o be an Oscar blockbuster.

by Anonymousreply 257April 27, 2021 8:07 AM

R220 stop that mumbling with igonrance or racism. Do you recognize danish, swedish and norwegian language? Or polish, sloviak, slovenian and czech? Lol i dont think so.. Nowe we have to distinguish asian languages if not we are racist or ignorant. Stupid assholes

by Anonymousreply 258April 27, 2021 12:09 PM

[quote]Any political campaigning on behalf of the nominees would be considered distasteful for any reason, but especially now when the awards have become increasingly irrelevant. Mostly because of politics but also due to the fact that movies have become way too heavy handed with their messaging.

R210, it's not just that the Oscars are becoming less relevant -- movies themselves are becoming less relevant. Television is increasingly where it's at these days. Television has been catching up to and overtaking movies for a while now. T.V. series today are now able to develop cinematic narratives with huge budgets and effects (Game of Thrones being the most obvious example).

Being a movie actor is no longer automatically more prestigious than being a television actor. There has been a melding of television and drama over the past decade and many movie actors are now appearing in television series in a way that would have been unthinkable several decades ago. The public today is moving towards t.v. shows and away from the movies.

by Anonymousreply 259April 27, 2021 12:34 PM

[quote] Wow R206 hit the nail on the head and you all are MAD!

Yeah, it's weird that white people don't like being called racists en masse, just like black people don't like being called criminals en masse. Funny, that.

If you call a white person racist and they agree that they are, that means they're racist. If you call a white person racist and they say that they aren't, that means they're racist.

It's so simple. Why on earth would any sane person express frustration with that?

by Anonymousreply 260April 27, 2021 12:37 PM

Gala was terrible, Afro americans took control and they sucked. i feel sorry for Glenn that she had to be part of it . She couldnt say no It was not celebaration of cinmea, only licking of black asses. Shame they wouldnt have come up with something better than hip hip and black dj

by Anonymousreply 261April 27, 2021 12:49 PM

Moe of this shit.

The organizers inexplicably shuffled the order of the awards so that best picture — the final award of the night in every broadcast but one from 1948-2020— was announced third from last, leaving best actor in a leading role to close the night. Unsettled by the change, many speculated that it was done to create a fitting showcase for Boseman, an actor of colossal talent who died much too young from colon cancer last year and whose win for his performance in “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” was considered all but guaranteed.

Instead, the statuette was awarded to Anthony Hopkins, the only living nominee not in attendance, leaving the show to end so abruptly that it called to mind a laptop blinking out from a lack of power. The British octogenarian’s second win, sans a speech, blocked not just Boseman’s only chance at receiving the academy’s highest acting recognition, but also the potential for the long-overdue progress in Asian and Muslim representation that either Yuen’s or Ahmed’s victories would have realized. Hopkins’ upset would have felt like an aggravating bait-and-switch wherever it fell in the ceremony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262April 27, 2021 12:52 PM

Bingo, r12. And Boseman's performance in a stagy movie was fine, but hardly award-worthy.

"it's not just that the Oscars are becoming less relevant -- movies themselves are becoming less relevant. Television is increasingly where it's at these days. Television has been catching up to and overtaking movies for a while now. T.V. series today are now able to develop cinematic narratives with huge budgets and effects (Game of Thrones being the most obvious example). Being a movie actor is no longer automatically more prestigious than being a television actor. There has been a melding of television and drama over the past decade and many movie actors are now appearing in television series in a way that would have been unthinkable several decades ago. The public today is moving towards t.v. shows and away from the movies."

In short, triter and triter.

by Anonymousreply 263April 27, 2021 1:00 PM

Hopkins would have been in London, but in London there was 4. AM at the time !!! Why 83 old guy had to stay that late ? jesus, why they cannot get that? Nobody was watching that gala, anyway, most people checked out the results another day. Who is fucking care what the end looked like? The whole gala was a nightmare, with black people mumbling about "Struggle" , glenn pretendin to be a black woman etc etc . Why they arey picking on that end? Because hyped black person didnt win?jesus, get a life. The world dont revolve around blacks.

by Anonymousreply 264April 27, 2021 1:02 PM

I don't understand why people keep saying "but it was Boseman's last chance to win an Oscar". He was nominated, that is an honor in itself. It being his last chance because he's dead does not mean he should have won one based on that alone, nor does it mean it should have tipped the scales in his favor.

This is Millennial "everybody gets a trophy" thinking.

by Anonymousreply 265April 27, 2021 1:07 PM

You have to wonder if things would have been different if Boseman had eaten more fiber.

by Anonymousreply 266April 27, 2021 1:22 PM

Boseman is dead. Meaning, regardless of your belief system, he's beyond such things mattering.

by Anonymousreply 267April 27, 2021 1:35 PM

Nobody is Entitled to win anything. Sorry. Enough with this entitlement storyline.

by Anonymousreply 268April 27, 2021 1:55 PM

Oooh look at all these racist white queens showing their white racist privileged asses up in hurr.

by Anonymousreply 269April 27, 2021 1:59 PM

R269 oh, black faggot is angry?

by Anonymousreply 270April 27, 2021 2:01 PM

To r270, with love. lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271April 27, 2021 2:04 PM

The twitter verse and the Marvel crowd fed us this lie that we MUST award Boseman for his legacy of work.

What work? He was in 3 or 4 Marvel films(only one as lead) and a series of prior films of no great standing at all.

They carried on like he was some kind of Denzel Washington who had been shocking denied in the past and that wrong must be righted upon his death.

The Academy saw through that false bluster and awarded the right person,

I would always ignore SAG who have since the merger become an Academy of waiters who follow what social trend is current.

BAFTA told the real storyy of what the Academy truly felt.

by Anonymousreply 272April 27, 2021 2:15 PM

R269 racist white queens? Again, you are miniority, get over it....Everything you touch it is ugly. You movies are bad, but you want them to be part of the best movies of the years if not it is racism. Your argument is only one- racism, racism, racism. Is that whities fault that blacks are criminal mostly in prison?Uups, is that racism too?

by Anonymousreply 273April 27, 2021 2:21 PM

If you read the anonymous Oscar ballots, people loved Hopkins in The Father. I read 10 of them and 6 people said they were voting for Hopkins. (The other four voters were split between Boseman and Ahmed). A couple of people also talked about having had a love one with dementia and how that made his film resonate with them. Even though The Academy took pains to recruit younger voters, it still skews petty old, so I think that sentiment was strong.

That said, I still thought Boseman would win.

by Anonymousreply 274April 27, 2021 2:26 PM

What is amusing and tragic is that most of the complainers never saw either performance.

by Anonymousreply 275April 27, 2021 3:20 PM

R274 it's kind of rich to be implying hat only older people can have a loved one with dementia. Younger people have grandparents, even their parents can start to show signs.

With age (usually) comes wisdom as well, and part of wisdom is not letting current fads dictate your life.

by Anonymousreply 276April 27, 2021 3:24 PM

R275 all black twitter and woke white twitter bitching about Hopkins' win, didn't see either film. They're Marvel dumbass fanboys not cinephiles.

If Boseman hadn't died, Delroy Lindo would have got that slot. Boseman's performance was hammy as hell - something other actors recognize even if black twitter doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 277April 27, 2021 3:56 PM

C'mon r273 bring it all out......

by Anonymousreply 278April 27, 2021 3:57 PM

R264: the world don't revolve around blacks? A white person actually said that?

by Anonymousreply 279April 27, 2021 3:59 PM

At least now we know Price Waterhouse doesn't leak the winners to the Oscar producers.

by Anonymousreply 280April 27, 2021 4:01 PM

[quote] What is amusing and tragic is that most of the complainers never saw either performance.

John Hodgman’s series of tweets on this is... something else.

“ Chadwick Boseman won and that is fucking that. I will watch A.Hopkins move every beautiful muscle of his face independently until the end of time. But if I were him, I’d go walk across every land and ocean to show Boseman’s Oscar to everyone on earth before laying it as his grave”

He’s not being sarcastic either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281April 27, 2021 4:02 PM

I doubt many Marvel 'fanboys' as such were that fussed - its not like Boseman was nominated for a Marvel film. Anthony Hopkins was in three Marvel films anyway..

by Anonymousreply 282April 27, 2021 4:04 PM

John Hodgman's mad dash to get woke twitter to pay attention to him. He's the original unfunny comedian. Has he had a job since Jon Stewart retired?

by Anonymousreply 283April 27, 2021 4:05 PM

R281 what a fucking loser, and we white queens are racist.. He is racist more than us. Stupif fucking black cunt

by Anonymousreply 284April 27, 2021 4:09 PM

[quote] John Hodgman's mad dash to get woke twitter to pay attention to him. He's the original unfunny comedian. Has he had a job since Jon Stewart retired?

He openly admits he hasn’t seen The Father and doesn’t feel he needs to. Maybe John’s on the DL for BBC?

by Anonymousreply 285April 27, 2021 4:11 PM

Wow. Just disgusting what this sight has become.......

by Anonymousreply 286April 27, 2021 4:12 PM

R286 you're likely talking about the back and forth between the "everyone is racist/old white men" and obviously foreign poster who is pissed about it. I can tell whose side you're on by the excessive punctuation and word usage.

by Anonymousreply 287April 27, 2021 4:16 PM

r286 "disgusting what this sight [sic] has become..." I've been on the DL since the GOP tried to impeach Bill Clinton. You must have us confused with The Mary Sue.

by Anonymousreply 288April 27, 2021 4:18 PM

Chadwick's brother gave a sweet statement to TMZ about how Chadwick would have been the first to congratulate Sir Anthony. So the family is not on with twitter's meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 289April 27, 2021 5:02 PM

R281 If I were Anthony Hopkins, I would get a restraining order against that guy because that shit is creepy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 290April 27, 2021 5:34 PM

People on Twitter are saying that they're now "boycotting Anthony Hopkins." Do they know that OTHER PEOPLE voted for him?

by Anonymousreply 291April 27, 2021 5:36 PM

It's funny, if the Oscar Predictions topic on here, people discussed the Twitter meltdowns that would happen if Carey Mulligan or Frances McDormand beat Viola Davis, and nobody considered what would happen if Chadwick Boseman lost.

by Anonymousreply 292April 27, 2021 5:39 PM

“ Chadwick Boseman won and that is fucking that. I will watch A.Hopkins move every beautiful muscle of his face independently until the end of time. But if I were him, I’d go walk across every land and ocean to show Boseman’s Oscar to everyone on earth before laying it as his grave”

I'll bet he is first in line to criticize the Trump idiots for claiming that the asshole won the election.

by Anonymousreply 293April 27, 2021 5:53 PM

[R18]: Aside from the novelty of seeing life from the character Hopkins played, and his emotional intensity, I found “The Father” manipulative and totally unrealistic. It omits a central aspect of caring for anyone with memory issues: personal hygiene. As a former nurse who has worked on Alzheimer’s units, one of their major issues is incontinence, something which the movie totally avoids.

Hopkins’ character is always dressed neatly, clean-shaven, and visibly washed. His toilet habits are never mentioned, and, aside from increasing confusion, he seems perfectly capable of taking care of himself.

Having worked with such patients on locked units for a number of years, seeing this fiction is, to put it mildly, laughable. If they’d actually dealt with the issue, the story of his disintegration would have been more compelling, though certainly distasteful.

by Anonymousreply 294April 27, 2021 6:02 PM

R294 did you miss the ending? Anthony was locked in a nursing home with the nurses he sometimes thought were Anne and her husband. He spent the whole movie sitting on his bed. He had fantasized all the rest. Dumb much?

by Anonymousreply 295April 27, 2021 6:40 PM

R289 I was going to say the same, Boseman's family has class

by Anonymousreply 296April 27, 2021 6:54 PM

R256 There may not have been an internet, but there were plenty of trade publications that people were definitely reading. Nolte's only other big win that year was the LA Film Critics award, and my guess is the reason he won the Boston critics' award was because Hopkins was in the supporting category. I'll concede that Nolte had a good chance of winning the Oscar, but Hopkins was on an upward trajectory (as was the film itself); his win was far from "shocking".

by Anonymousreply 297April 27, 2021 7:12 PM

Everyone should just vote for who they think is the best.

Don't factor in how others may be voting.

by Anonymousreply 298April 27, 2021 7:14 PM

R297 I remember that year, The silence of the lambs win came as big surprise. It was an horror film and it was a blockbuster way before the oscars.

Hopkins is barely ten minutes on the film (even if his presence is there all the time)

by Anonymousreply 299April 27, 2021 7:18 PM

Re. R281 -- God, what a fucking Mary!

I believe the last thing Chadwick would want is to be awarded an Oscar solely because he died. Especially seeing as they had a chance to nominate him 5 years ago (for his incredible performance in the James Brown biopic) and they snubbed him.

by Anonymousreply 300April 27, 2021 7:28 PM

R299 true - I was shocked when Silence made a sweep. The only lock was supposedly Jodie Foster. Jodie Foster was in fact talking down Hopkins. She was anxious then to become a Major Power Player and she hated the fact Hopkins had 'stolen' Silence.

The media had been pushing Nick Nolte for Best Actor and Bugsy for Best Film like crazy. I still remember who gave out the Best Film Oscar: Liz Taylor and Paul Newman.

by Anonymousreply 301April 27, 2021 7:29 PM

[quote] Jodie Foster was in fact talking down Hopkins. She was anxious then to become a Major Power Player and she hated the fact Hopkins had 'stolen' Silence.

Source? I'd like to read her comments on Hopkins.

by Anonymousreply 302April 27, 2021 8:40 PM

For what it's worth here's what I though:

Anthony Hopkins deserved his win. I guess that pisses off some people, but his performance was very deserving. It's not like Chadwick Boseman was robbed of an Oscar like Judy Garland was or like Brokeback Mountain was. It's not like he lost to an inferior performance.

I would have liked to have seen Glenn Close win. She too would have deserved her award.

I didn't care who won Best Supporting actor.

I would have liked to have seen Carey Mulligan win Best Actress. Frances McDormand makes me sick.

by Anonymousreply 303April 27, 2021 8:51 PM

The Cohen brothers must have tons of clout in Hollywood. How else does uggo Frances McDormand keep winning? She is not worthy of three Oscars. I agree that Carey Mulligan got robbed.

by Anonymousreply 304April 27, 2021 9:02 PM

R300 I'm black and I feel the same way. I wanted Chadwick or any other black actor to win because they deserve it not because they tragically pass away or because of a movement. The lesson the academy can learn is to pay attention to young actors of color and recognize them when they do good work that year and not wait until they're older or a huge star. They kinda started that with Andra Day

by Anonymousreply 305April 27, 2021 9:03 PM

Go back to Africa if you hate it here so much!

by Anonymousreply 306April 27, 2021 9:09 PM

Frances McDormand has won three Oscars but I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody who even knows who she is. Three Oscars couldn't make a star out of her. How could it? I mean LOOK at her. That is, if you can.

by Anonymousreply 307April 27, 2021 9:42 PM

[quote] The lesson the academy can learn is to pay attention to young actors of color and recognize them when they do good work that year and not wait until they're older or a huge star. They kinda started that with Andra Day.

Daniel Kaluuya was first nominated in 2018; he now has an Oscar just three years later. Winning on your first nom is rare for male performers.

by Anonymousreply 308April 27, 2021 9:44 PM

R305, the Oscars are about awarding the best actor/director/movie, etc. of the nominees, not helping certain categories of actors carve out a career. If the best actor is 83, then the Oscar should be given to an 83 year old. If the best actor is white, then they should win. Similarly, if the best actor is black, then they should win - for acting, not for social "justice" purposes.

by Anonymousreply 309April 27, 2021 9:48 PM

Can't they give it to Chapstick Boswell next year?

by Anonymousreply 310April 27, 2021 9:51 PM

R308 Winning on you first nomination is rare for males. Going back to 1950, I'd almost say the opposite is true.

First and only acting nomination:

Charelton Heston, Burl Ives, Cliff Robertson, David Niven, Michael Douglas, Adrian Brody, Ben Johnson, Tim Robbins, Chris Cooper, John Mills, Ernest Borgnine, Louis Gossett Jr. Jeremy Irons, George Kennedy, Jack Albertson, Haing S. Ngor, Rami Malek, George Sanders, Ed Begley, George Burns, Art Carney, Joel Grey, Mark Rylance, George Chakiris, Timothy Hutton, Cuba Gooding Jr. J.K. Simmons, John Houseman, Sean Connery, Yul Brynner, Broderick Crawford , Dean Jagger

And on their first nomination:

Geoffrey Rush, Benicio Del Toro, Ben Kingsley, Paul Scofield, Nicolas Cage, Christopher Walken, Robert De Niro, Frank Sinatra, Jack Lemon, Kevin Spacey, Karl Malden Anthony Hopkins, Mahershala Ali, Edmund Gwenn, Edmond O'Brien, Richard Dreyfuss, Jason Robards, Daniel Day-Lewis, Christoph Waltz, Maximilian Schell, Eddie Redmayne, Hugh Griffith, Melvyn Douglas, Anthony Quinn,

by Anonymousreply 311April 27, 2021 10:43 PM

R307 unless you’re living in a cave, I think most people know who McDormand is.

by Anonymousreply 312April 27, 2021 10:46 PM

R312 must be Frances McDormand's agent. Ask most people on the street and they would not know who the hell she is. She may have won Oscars but she's not famous. Not a star.

by Anonymousreply 313April 27, 2021 11:49 PM

The Twitter meltdown people are gross - they're attacking an 83 year old man who had no control over the award. I'm sure part of it is because "old white man" has become an obscenity for a lot of social media idiots, so he's been dehumanized.

by Anonymousreply 314April 27, 2021 11:52 PM

R309: no doubt Anthony Hopkins is brilliant and probably gave the best performance. But it also helped that he's 83, familiar and safe. Besides Boseman, almost everyone in the best actor category is a newcomer or not well known.

by Anonymousreply 315April 28, 2021 12:09 AM

Chadwick's family does not care because they are getting at least $250K a month in earnings from his past work.

by Anonymousreply 316April 28, 2021 12:13 AM

Yes, it's been a windfall for them.

by Anonymousreply 317April 28, 2021 12:40 AM

R311, Interesting list.

Lots of people on that list are older or quite mature. Some with literally years of experience and performances.

There are some who are young like Timothy Hutton, Richard Dreyfus, Adrian Brody, Tim Robbins.

I don't know the ages of most of these men or how old they were when they got the nomination. Some had very, very long careers like Melvyn Douglas, George Sanders, John Houseman, Edmund Gwenn, Paul Scofield, and Karl Malden.

I'm sure other posters can expand on the list.

by Anonymousreply 318April 28, 2021 12:40 AM

Once more:

Oscar wins always have been a fuck.

And the proper response, after any shock, needs to be HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

Demands of entitlement for an award by the living or for the dead for whatever reason is a nasty, inequitable business that insults anyone else losing and who wins. Another shade of deplorability amidst wealth and power.

by Anonymousreply 319April 28, 2021 12:48 AM

R313 the woman has been working for nearly 40 years. Four Oscars, two Emmys, one Tony. Been in countless well received tv shows, films and plays. Just joined the 3 and over club at the Oscars with other actors people don’t know like Hepburn, Bergman, Streep, Nicholson and Day Lewis. Yeah Einstein. Know one knows her from Adam.

by Anonymousreply 320April 28, 2021 1:40 AM

No one^^^

by Anonymousreply 321April 28, 2021 1:43 AM

r320 people who are serious movie fans (the minority of humanity) know who Frances is. The average idiot (the majority) has no idea.

by Anonymousreply 322April 28, 2021 1:49 AM

R320 hmmm. Everyone I’ve met, and I’m 54 and met a lot of people follow tv and films. Depends on your idea of majority. If it’s 51% your argument might hold some water (emphasis on might). But I think the majority is higher that would know her.

by Anonymousreply 323April 28, 2021 2:02 AM

There was some documentary about John Cazale. He was in three movies, all of them Oscar winners, all of them hugely popular classics: The Godfather, Godfather II, and Dog Day Afternoon. In the documentary someone went out on the street with a picture of Cazale and asked "do you know who this is?" Practically no one did. Sometimes they would say "oh, it's Fredo!" I think if someone took a picture of the haggish Frances McDormand on the street and asked people who she was the reaction would be relatively the same. I don't think many people know who she is. I don't think she has many fans. She's a overawarded actress but she's no where near approaching stardom.

Yep, R320 must be her agent.

by Anonymousreply 324April 28, 2021 2:33 AM

F313 Frances is not on TV promoting her films and being interviewed much if at all. Never saw her on Ellen, Kimmel, The View, Colbert, Fallon, GMA, Kelly and Ryan . . .

by Anonymousreply 325April 28, 2021 2:40 AM

R324 Cazale was a character actor who was dwarfed in The Godfather films by the bigger name actors and Pacino in DDA. His resume wasn’t nearly as long as McDormand. No major awards either. But thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 326April 28, 2021 2:46 AM

So one group of people in this country who created a narrative of rampant racism against them... are now revealing their very real racism toward another group. Interesting.

The real issue is capitalism, not race. Wake up.

by Anonymousreply 327April 28, 2021 2:51 AM

r327 it's not just capitalism. It's human nature and ignorance. Communist countries like China and autocracies like Russia where markets are tightly government-controlled are still quite racist. The US isn't special in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 328April 28, 2021 2:54 AM

Just watching now. Who is the twat presenting?

by Anonymousreply 329April 28, 2021 3:09 AM

R326, it doesn't matter how long McDormand's resume is. She's not an actress most people would recognize, no matter how much you want that to be so. Too bad, I think you really want that.

by Anonymousreply 330April 28, 2021 3:11 AM

r330 we get that you - and possibly your circle of friends - hadn't heard of her or paid attention to her. You'll learn when you are older and wiser that not everyone in the world has had the same experiences as you, and doesn't have the same worldview, and your anecdotal opinions are meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 331April 28, 2021 3:17 AM

"Kill yourself?" R331, you are quite the pathetic cunt. Sounds like you're the one who needs to work on your issues and perhaps someday you will be "older and wiser." And who's this "we" that you speak of? You don't speak for the masses, no you surely do not. Not everyone is in love with Frances McDormand as you seem to be. You're a sad case. A Frances McDormand fangurl. Imagine that. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 332April 28, 2021 3:30 AM

Not r331 here, but give it up. There’s no way to do a scientific experiment about this. You’re not a fan I get it. But FMcD doesn’t care if you are. I think she’s more than proved herself as an actress. And she doesn’t care if she’s a Julia Roberts type star. The Coens live a modest life and the woman still has a flip phone that’s how much she cares about keeping up with the status quo.

by Anonymousreply 333April 28, 2021 3:38 AM

Did Mank win anything? People breathlessly predicted it would sweep every category.

by Anonymousreply 334April 28, 2021 4:16 AM

R311 and Lee Marvin, Martin Balsam, Kevin Kline, Don Ameche, Jared Leto, Matthew McConaughey and Forest Whitaker also won on their first and only nomination.

by Anonymousreply 335April 28, 2021 4:20 AM

R332 actually I don't really have much opinion on her, but your continual obnoxious and condescending harping on how no one has heard of her in this thread warrants some additional rebuttal if only to point out how limited your worldview is and how breathtakingly arrogant you come across. So cute that you think you know anything about anything.

by Anonymousreply 336April 28, 2021 5:30 AM

She's known to film buffs and Oscar fans but the older general public just knows her as the woman from Fargo if at all.

by Anonymousreply 337April 28, 2021 5:34 AM

McDormand is a character actress. None of the hoi polloi are familiar with character actors.

by Anonymousreply 338April 28, 2021 8:26 AM

[quote]Chadwick's family does not care because they are getting at least $250K a month in earnings from his past work.

Actors' royalties are transferable to their families after they die?

by Anonymousreply 339April 28, 2021 11:23 AM

R330/2: But they may know that "the hoi polloi" is redundant," as "hoi" is Attic Greek for "the" (plural). It would be like writing "the the people." But maybe that's what you WOULD write.

by Anonymousreply 340April 28, 2021 1:49 PM

Pedant alert at R340.

by Anonymousreply 341April 28, 2021 6:58 PM

how could producers not think that Anthony "Don't stand too close to the glass, Clarice" Hopkins would win an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 342April 28, 2021 7:19 PM

R342 It was a very small role. It's a very important character but he is on screen for barely 10 minutes

by Anonymousreply 343April 28, 2021 7:42 PM

R343, that's the first I'm reading about that.

Wow.

That's odd. Why not be put in supporting then?

by Anonymousreply 344April 28, 2021 7:47 PM

2021 – “The Father” (Best Actor) 1 hour, 5 minutes, 14 seconds (67.29% of the film)

After a quarter century, Hopkins is once again in the running for Best Actor thanks to his portrayal of Anthony, whose battle with dementia is explored in harrowing detail. The fact that his screen time passes both the one hour and 50% thresholds bodes well for him since voters have favored longer lead male performances in recent years. The last actor to win the award with less than one hour of screen time was Jean Dujardin (“The Artist”) in 2012, while the last one to fall under 50% was Forest Whitaker (“The Last King of Scotland”) in 2007.

Hopkins’s screen time places him in the middle of the current lineup of leading men. At the low end are Chadwick Boseman (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”) with 44 minutes and seven seconds (46.89%) and Steven Yeun (“Minari”) with 48 minutes and 28 seconds (42.07%). Riz Ahmed (“Sound of Metal”) has the highest amount, with one hour, 34 minutes, and 22 seconds (78.14%), followed by Gary Oldman (“Mank”) with one hour, 30 minutes, and nine seconds (67.94%).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345April 28, 2021 8:01 PM

Nice try, r343.

by Anonymousreply 346April 28, 2021 11:49 PM

I assume R343 was referring to "The Silence of the Lambs".

by Anonymousreply 347April 29, 2021 12:01 PM

R346 Obviously i was talking about The silence of the lambs

by Anonymousreply 348April 29, 2021 6:11 PM

R346 And frankly it was not that difficult to know because i was answering to a guy who was obviously talking about The silence of the lambs (unless there's a Clarisse character in The father and he talked to her standing close to a glass)

by Anonymousreply 349April 29, 2021 6:13 PM

length of Anthony Hopkins' screen time in Silence was 24 minutes and 52 seconds which is the second shortest screen time for an actor winning a Best Actor Oscar. That record is held by David Niven in Separate Tables - 23 minutes 39 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 350April 29, 2021 6:24 PM

Op, why don't you just post this on Weibo where you belong?

by Anonymousreply 351April 29, 2021 6:41 PM

It's not really that clear what you meant r349 because the post you were responding to was about people apparently expressing surprise at Hopkins winning. Which is sort of what this thread is about in relation to this year's Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 352April 29, 2021 6:42 PM

R352 I was responding to R342

I think it's pretty clear he is talking about the silence of the lambs

by Anonymousreply 353April 29, 2021 6:57 PM

Unfortunately, not only was Boseman's not the strongest performance big the nominees, it was arguably the weakest. Both Ahmed in Sound of Metal and Oldman in Mank gave terrific performances. Oldman disappeared into his character and Ahmed carried his movie. I haven't seen The Father, but I saw Hopkins in stage and he's one of the best actors I've ever seen.

Which leaves Steve Yuen.

I think the Academy despite the efforts of Twitter, voted for the performances it liked.

by Anonymousreply 354April 29, 2021 7:10 PM

Please wake me when you're done. X

by Anonymousreply 355April 29, 2021 7:19 PM

I saw all the films. Hopkins was the strongest by far, followed by Ahmed. Wasn't that impressed with Yeun and Oldman was kind of awkward mimicry for me. Boseman's performance was OTT - I'd blame the director for that - the director's a nonentity who worked for Oprah. Viola's performance was also OTT.

If Boseman hadn't died, he wouldn't even have been nominated. Delroy Lindo would probably have got that slot.

by Anonymousreply 356April 29, 2021 7:20 PM

I think I have the answer--its a given that the academy didn't love MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM. It's a stage show adaptation that feels like a stage show adaptation. It's claustrophobic and feels long at 97 minutes. The characters are unlikable and a lot of subtext, both character driven and historical is lost on (most) viewers. I happened to get a decent amount of insight from a short documentary / promotional piece Netflix did on the movie that explains the characters.

Boseman's performance is a mirror of what people dont like about the movie. It's theatrical. It plays to the bleachers. And its an ugly character, simply depressing to think about his circumstances and where he ends up. The character also makes an incredibly unsympathetic action at the end. Is it good theater? Maybe. But the whole thing leaves a bad taste in viewers mouths. They couldnt vote for that.

by Anonymousreply 357April 29, 2021 7:21 PM

R342 here.

I didn't phrase it the best, but I meant how could producers not think that an actor as talented as Hopkins is (as we all saw in Silence of the Lambs) might not win a second one?

I didn't see the movies, but I saw clips and I thought oh, Hopkins will win if it's performance; Chadwick, for sentiment.

Producers should have known that voters might choose Hopkins because he's freaking Anthony Hopkins.

by Anonymousreply 358April 29, 2021 7:56 PM

[quote]I didn't phrase it the best, but I meant how could producers not think that an actor as talented as Hopkins is (as we all saw in Silence of the Lambs) might not win a second one? I didn't see the movies, but I saw clips and I thought oh, Hopkins will win if it's performance; Chadwick, for sentiment. Producers should have known that voters might choose Hopkins because he's freaking Anthony Hopkins.

To be fair Hopkins has lost the Oscar 4 other times , even losing out to Nic Cage once, so it wasn't a forgone conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 359April 29, 2021 8:05 PM

There were a dozen 'anonymous Oscar voter' articles this year. The majority were voting for Hopkins despite feeling very sorry for Boseman and thinking he would probably win it. The Oscar producers should have realized it wasn't in the bag for Boseman and not moved the categories around and absolutely NOT let weirdo asshole Joaquin Phoenix present it. Renee Zellwegger would have been gentle, tearful and sympathetic and made a nice little tribute to Boseman.

by Anonymousreply 360April 29, 2021 8:09 PM

Exactly r357. The character Boseman plays makes no sense. What is his story? What's his role in the development of the plot? What happens to him in the movie? It's hard to say.

by Anonymousreply 361April 30, 2021 12:30 AM

"I happened to get a decent amount of insight from a short documentary / promotional piece Netflix did on the movie that explains the characters."

Oh, boy. What about the characters, historical or otherwise, needed "explaining?" The play couldn't make it clearer.

by Anonymousreply 362April 30, 2021 12:41 AM

"What is his story? What's his role in the development of the plot? What happens to him in the movie?"

A dream deferred, baby, a dream deferred.

by Anonymousreply 363April 30, 2021 12:42 AM

Did Chadwick have the biggest role in the film? Maybe he should have been put in supporting like the Judas guys.

by Anonymousreply 364April 30, 2021 4:28 AM

The Boseman legacy was a complete concoction.

If you look at his bio, he has no film legacy of any great standing. Black Panther and a smallish bunch of no name films

Twitterverse carried on like he were rewarding the black Lawrence Olivier or something.

A perfect storm of Wokedom & Marvel/Disney trying to create a fantasy about someone that had no real base in reality.

Those Academy peeps saw through it.

by Anonymousreply 365April 30, 2021 4:52 AM

Were there supposed to be Black Panther sequels? Will they recast?

by Anonymousreply 366April 30, 2021 4:54 AM

[quote] I just merely wanted to create a thread about a huge upset and also shocked that the loved by his peers, dead from colon cancer at 40, who played Jackie Robinson, loved by critics and audiences as well as james brown, who had should have been nominated at least twice in his career already, becoming A-list after playing black panther, did not win. If that makes any sense? I'm just shocked he didnt receive the most votes, or more votes than anyone else or doe sthe academy practice aranking system.

Why are you shocked when he had the fourth worst performance out of all the nominees (Steven Yuen being the worst). The fourth weakest performance would not and should not have won.

by Anonymousreply 367April 30, 2021 5:07 AM

I don't blame Disney for being pissed about Boseman hiding his cancer diagnosis. He was stage 3 when diagnosed and knew what the outcome could be but chose not to tell the studio that there was a 60% chance they might be burying their Black Panther within 5 years. He soon progressed to stage 4, with its 90% death rate. I understand him wanting his big break, but it's turned out to be difficult for the other people involved in the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 368April 30, 2021 5:09 AM

Anyone who saw Anthony Hopkins knows it was not a contest.

by Anonymousreply 369April 30, 2021 5:12 AM

[quote] Did Chadwick have the biggest role in the film? Maybe he should have been put in supporting like the Judas guys.

No, his was a supporting role, just like Viola Davis, yet they were both put in the main category. Daniel Kahlua was the star yet was put in supporting. Olivia Colman was supporting yet won for Best Actress when her screen time is below Emma Stone who was nominated for supporting. How does it make sense that the Best Actress had less screen time than the Supporting Actress??

This category fraud has to stop. Any time they submit in the wrong category, they should be automatically disqualified.

by Anonymousreply 370April 30, 2021 5:14 AM

I always love when people carry on about what they consider an unfair Oscar winner like they can change it.

Once it's given out, that's that. Move on with your life. You can't squeeze that toothpaste back into the tube.

by Anonymousreply 371April 30, 2021 5:16 AM

What would be a fair system for determining whether someone is lead or supporting? You couldn't do it just by screentime, as someone can have a lot of screentime in a film and still not be the leading man or leading lady.

by Anonymousreply 372April 30, 2021 5:23 AM

[quote] Chadwick's family does not care because they are getting at least $250K a month in earnings from his past work.

How? He was not on a long running TV show to get residuals. Film actors are paid a flat celery unless you’re a huge name that you could negotiate backend points like Robert Downey Jr. He was only doing small films before and would not have the clout to demand backend for Black Panther.

by Anonymousreply 373April 30, 2021 5:28 AM

[quote] What would be a fair system for determining whether someone is lead or supporting? You couldn't do it just by screentime, as someone can have a lot of screentime in a film and still not be the leading man or leading lady.

You go by the story and the plot. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan were the stars of Sleepless in Seattle and Rosie O’Donnell was supporting. You see how easy that was? Jack and Rose were the stars of Titanic and Kathy Bates was supporting.

by Anonymousreply 374April 30, 2021 5:33 AM

What about The Favourite where it isn't so clear cut r374.

by Anonymousreply 375April 30, 2021 5:36 AM

Boseman's brother reacts:

As reported by TMZ: “[Derrick] doesn’t view Chadwick not winning an Oscar for Best Actor as a snub because every nominated actor was excellent and deserving of the award. He says the family isn’t upset or agitated whatsoever that Chadwick’s name wasn’t called at the end of the Oscars ceremony. Derrick tells us the family wishes Hopkins and his family all the best because, as Derrick put it, ‘I’m sure [Anthony] would if Chad won.’ Derrick says Chadwick wasn’t one to put too much value on the Oscars anyway. Derrick says Chadwick ‘always described them to me as a campaign.’ That being said…Derrick says, yes, an Oscar would have been an achievement, but was never an obsession.”

by Anonymousreply 376April 30, 2021 5:39 AM

Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz were the stars with Nicholas Hoult and Olivia Colman as supporting.

by Anonymousreply 377April 30, 2021 5:40 AM

When it isn't so clear-cut, as in the case of The Favourite, who gets to decide what counts as lead and what counts as supporting? If it's the Academy, that can get complicated fast and could lead to disputes with the actors.

The current system isn't perfect, but letting the actors decide whether they are lead or supporting and submitting accordingly is actually less trouble and leads to fewer disputes than having the Academy decide.

by Anonymousreply 378April 30, 2021 6:42 AM

There are no rules with the Academy. People can vote for actors in any category they want, lead or supporting. The studio's take out ads suggesting where the person should go but the voters aren't obligated to follow that though the almost always do (Lakeith Stanfield is an example of when they didn't.)

The Golden Globes are actually the people who sometimes go against the studio's wishes but not consistantly. This year they made Maria Bakalova compete in lead but let other leads like Daniel Kaluya and Leslie Odom slide. The let The Favourite actresses and August:Osage County cast do it too.

by Anonymousreply 379April 30, 2021 7:10 AM

Watched Ma Rainey tonight. It's just not a very good movie, it's a filmed play that doesn't have the energy of a live performance. Boseman is decent, but he doesn't have that sense of barely controlled anger that would make his character arc make sense. He should be a tragic character--whose hopes are destroyed over the course of the play--bu he never be some real enough for me to care. I did notice how thin Boseman was. Poor guy, wasting away.

Viola Davis is good, but character is definitely a supporting one. She's static. She's the same at the beginning as she is at the end.

by Anonymousreply 380April 30, 2021 8:55 AM

All I remember about Viola in that film is her eating the snack at the microphone with her nephew as they waited for him to legibly deliver his line in the song. It gave me a mild chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 381April 30, 2021 9:22 AM

[quote] How did he not recieve the most votes, especially since I'm sure many voters would feel the PC pressure of allowing a black man to win?

Oscars are decided by individual Academy members who vote privately. There's no such pressure when votes are anonymous and behind closed doors, and so aside from pressures of conscience (which is not Hollywood's forte), there's no pressure on people to vote in a politically correct way.

Also, while everyone thinks Hollywood is progressive, it's not. Many executives, producers et al. are super-sexist old men who admired people like Harvey Weinstein. Weinstein was a voting member, as probably are James Woods, Jon Voight, people like Charlton Heston et al. LA and NYC entertainment are full of old male businesspigs who trade in cashing in on objectifying emaciated young women and pressuring them to fuck to land roles. That has not changed because of MeToo. Let's not fool ourselves. So there's no sound reason to think any of these people would have voted for Boseman.

by Anonymousreply 382April 30, 2021 10:46 AM

So, R382, Boseman lost because Hollywood is sexist?

by Anonymousreply 383April 30, 2021 11:27 AM

Does anyone think that Boseman deserved the final spot in the In Memorium segment?

by Anonymousreply 384April 30, 2021 11:42 AM

[quote] people who are serious movie fans (the minority of humanity) know who Frances is.

The talking mule?

by Anonymousreply 385April 30, 2021 11:54 AM

R384 I think he deserves it as much as anyone does. You may be considering only his career, but the poor guy died from colon cancer at age 43, and he worked up until the very end. That's tragic and his resilience and good attitude are inspiring to a lot of people. He also worked in theatre as a director, a playwright and an actor, and onscreen he played Jackie Robinson, James Brown and Thurgood Marshall. He was a lot more than just a comic book character.

by Anonymousreply 386April 30, 2021 12:01 PM

There were more votes for another nominee? What do I win?

by Anonymousreply 387April 30, 2021 12:04 PM

R386, you forgot to mention the fact that he was black. That was the chief reason he was put there in place of others who actually had an illustrious career. It's not PC to mention that, but it's the reason. The night was designed to be a " coronation" of the man to show critics that Hollywood isn't racist.

by Anonymousreply 388April 30, 2021 12:31 PM

Morricone should have been last

by Anonymousreply 389April 30, 2021 2:49 PM

[quote] the final spot in the In Memorium segment?

In Memoriam.

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 390April 30, 2021 3:06 PM

Sean Connery should have been last. He was the biggest star who died last year.

by Anonymousreply 391April 30, 2021 4:19 PM

Riz Ahmed was robbed. The problem, the Academy voters never really consider what a performer does to prepare for a role. Riz went through nearly a year learning ASL, learning to play the drums, transforming his usual reed thin frame and working with a coach to perfect the American accent he spoke in. In that respect, Riz is similar to the young DeNiro, he was always transforming himself for a role.

I do understand that the Oscars are usually never concerned about always rewarding performers who already won. The Oscars are usually about rewarding a specific performance. On the other hand, in many instances , years down the line, many performers who never won, are usually rewarded with a special Oscar for always being overlooked for their years of 'service'.

Delroy Lindo should have been nominated, he was robbed too.

by Anonymousreply 392April 30, 2021 4:30 PM

RR392 playing a character with a disability is hardcore Oscar baiting. There was a lot of criticism about the fact there are many deaf actors, many who speak in voices that sound like they aren't deaf, and they should have been given the role.

by Anonymousreply 393April 30, 2021 4:33 PM

R393 lol there is nothing wrong with AN ACTOR acting like deaf, that how acting looks like, people are idiots

by Anonymousreply 394April 30, 2021 4:53 PM

R377 if Nicholas Hoult got his arse out in "The Favourite" then it would have been the star. Everyone else in supporting

by Anonymousreply 395April 30, 2021 7:12 PM

R382 I understand your points and R383 is deliberately dumb. There is no individual accountability when you can vote anonymously.

I like the statement from Chadwick's brother, he was gracious, dignified and his brother was right to call it a campaign. Chadwick may well have proved himself a legendary actor had his life not been cut short. He was certainly very good in MRBB but was let down by the film as a whole.

Anthony Hopkins was a revelation in The Father and it really resounded with any one of us who have watched a loved one be extinguished by dementia. Maybe many of The Academy felt that?

It was disgusting how the producers used CB as a token of their inclusivity and newfound social conscience. He deserved much better than to be condescended to.

by Anonymousreply 396April 30, 2021 7:36 PM

Sorry, R 396, I was not " deliberately dumb." The previous poster responded to this, which he quoted:

"How did he not recieve the most votes, especially since I'm sure many voters would feel the PC pressure of allowing a black man to win?"

The response had nothing to do with POC, but focused on sexism ( which was the poster's agenda). If you're going to respond to a post about the pressure to vote for a POC, then don't use the " sexism" argument. That's a totally different Hollywood problem.

by Anonymousreply 397April 30, 2021 8:00 PM

R397 sorry I didn't mean to disparage your response, I just felt they answered that previous question when they wrote:

"Oscars are decided by individual Academy members who vote privately. There's no such pressure when votes are anonymous and behind closed doors, and so aside from pressures of conscience (which is not Hollywood's forte), there's no pressure on people to vote in a politically correct way."

I thought you were being deliberately obtuse. No offence intended.

by Anonymousreply 398April 30, 2021 8:08 PM

I hope all people black and white would agree that Jussie Smollett should never get an Oscar nomination, even though it is his biggest dream!

by Anonymousreply 399April 30, 2021 8:34 PM

The thing that most surprised me about The Father is I figured it would be a maudlin showcase for Hopkins to chew the scenery. So many Great Actors just indulge their hambones as they age (DeNiro, Pacino, McKellen, etc.). Instead of a soap opera, The Father was a horror movie and Hopkins gave the most deeply felt performance I've seen. You really feel his absolute terror at what is happening to him. You feel like it is happening to you.

by Anonymousreply 400April 30, 2021 8:38 PM

r348 it wasn't obvious. You should learn how to manage context.

by Anonymousreply 401April 30, 2021 9:10 PM

r392 who cares what a performer does to prepare for a role? It's about what they do on set or stage, not how much prep work it took them to get there.

by Anonymousreply 402April 30, 2021 9:17 PM

R398, no offense taken. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 403April 30, 2021 10:33 PM

R388: can you get anymore evil? Geez......

by Anonymousreply 404April 30, 2021 10:53 PM

R404 evil? get a life...no one is evil...academy shouldnt have put Boseman at last place, they wanted to show they are not racist. They fought boseman would have win

by Anonymousreply 405April 30, 2021 11:08 PM

R404, sometimes the truth hurts.

by Anonymousreply 406May 1, 2021 12:05 AM

"There was a lot of criticism about the fact there are many deaf actors, many who speak in voices that sound like they aren't deaf, and they should have been given the role.:

Nice try, guys, except Riz Ahmed burned a hole in the screen with a charisma I haven't seen in a movie since Eminem's film debut. How many of those deaf actors would have supplied that?

by Anonymousreply 407May 1, 2021 12:54 AM

406: by golly how did I know you would say that? And by the way, your truth.

by Anonymousreply 408May 1, 2021 12:58 AM

R405: and that's evil. Of course you can't see that.

by Anonymousreply 409May 1, 2021 1:00 AM

R407: Riz Ahmed burned a hole in the screen with a charisma I haven't seen in a movie since Eminem's film debut.

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 410May 1, 2021 1:23 AM

r365 Watch GET ON UP where Boseman plays James Brown. He was a scary talent.

by Anonymousreply 411May 1, 2021 4:19 AM

R383 Boseman lost because voters considered Hopkins a better performance.

They didn't buy into the sham narrative about Boseman's right to the award because he was Black and died.

That narrative is something the waiters branch.......sorry, I mean SAG fall for every time.

by Anonymousreply 412May 1, 2021 9:14 AM

R401 If you are not smart enough to understand the context is not my problem (i was answering someone who even mentioned Clarice and the glass scene), it was obvious for everybody with a brain

by Anonymousreply 413May 1, 2021 11:44 AM

R413 it's telling that you are so triggered by my relatively mild statement earlier in the thread that you keep escalating.

by Anonymousreply 414May 1, 2021 12:02 PM

[quote]Riz Ahmed burned a hole in the screen with a charisma I haven't seen in a movie since Eminem's film debut.

You forgot to add, Riz's asshole was burning after Darius Marder fucked him throughout the entire film shoot.

by Anonymousreply 415May 2, 2021 7:44 PM

[quote][R392] who cares what a performer does to prepare for a role? It's about what they do on set or stage, not how much prep work it took them to get there.

Are you really this dense? Of course prep work is important to any role. You obviously don’t know much about acting.

Riz Ahmed never sat behind drums before he was hired for SOM, how can a non-musician convincingly make-believe they are a drummer? Just walk onto the film set and park his ass behind a drum kit? Yep, that will work! Riz is also a rap performer and he can sing, he doesn’t play any instruments.

How can any performer, who has not even held a guitar, look convincing in the role of, say, Jimi Hendrix, BB King or Jimmy Page?!

Prepping is extremely essential to acting, especially when a performer is asked to speak in a specific dialect or a foreign accent they are not familiar with. After 'The Night Of', many people had no idea Riz was British. Stephen Colbert was shocked to learn Riz was British, Riz's Queens NY accent was that convincing. Riz explained to Colbert he stayed in the Queens accent even off the set. The TNO filming took about 8 months.

Wow, DL has descended into a black hole of utter stupidity. Most performers, especially those who have to learn different dialects have to work with a vocal coach, it's the same when a performer has to appear as if they can play an instrument.

by Anonymousreply 416May 3, 2021 2:16 AM

Hi idiot verbose queen r416, the post was in response to someone saying that the Academy should base the award decision at least partially on how much prep work a specific actor has done for the role. My post was saying, essentially: no, it should be based on the actual performance, not what they had to do to get there.

Of course it's unsurprising that someone on the Internet would misunderstand the context of something and go off on a half-page rant about it.

by Anonymousreply 417May 3, 2021 2:26 AM

[quote]R392 playing a character with a disability is hardcore Oscar baiting. There was a lot of criticism about the fact there are many deaf actors, many who speak in voices that sound like they aren't deaf, and they should have been given the role.

Did you see SOM? Riz’s Ruben character doesn’t start out deaf, why give the role to a deaf actor? Ahmed brilliantly conveyed what a HEARING PERSON goes through when they find out they are going deaf.

You don’t know WTF you are talking about. So what is it, now, for any role about a character who has a disability, a performer with that specific disability must be hired? I guess the producers and director should have looked for an actor with the Elephant Man disease to play that part? How about the paralyzed vet Tom Cruise portrayed in 'Born on the Forth of July'? How about a blind character, a character with palsy?

Riz is an actor, that’s his job to portray different types of characters. Shouldn’t a role go to the best performer? Especially in the eyes of the director, the person doing the hiring? That’s like saying only Italian-American or Irish-American actors/actresses should play characters who come from those backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 418May 3, 2021 2:40 AM

[quote]Hi idiot verbose queen [R416], the post was in response to someone saying that the Academy should base the award decision at least partially on how much prep work a specific actor has done for the role. My post was saying, essentially: no, it should be based on the actual performance, not what they had to do to get there. Of course it's unsurprising that someone on the Internet would misunderstand the context of something and go off on a half-page rant about it.

There was nothing you posted which was misunderstood. Why so fucking nasty?

Why does it bother so many weirdos here at DL when some people write long posts? To me, when ppl like you get 'annoyed', it shows the attention spans of most people are non-existent. These days, so many hate to read. I love to read. There was nothing I misunderstood, you clearly know nothing about acting, Try it sometime!

I was the person who posted about performers prepping for a role. I did make the point that the Academy does NOT consider that so many performers go to great lengths to prep for a role, that the voters don't usually consider such things when voting.

You obviously have reading comprehension problems.

DL has turned into such a cesspool of idiocy and nastiness. There is no such thing as a normal conversation at DL, not these says.

by Anonymousreply 419May 3, 2021 2:56 AM

Could Riz Ahmed's agent please piss off. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 420May 3, 2021 3:46 AM

The pictures have gotten small. Too small. With pissy little greedy grunts flashing their eyes and teeth pretending their paltry greedy ambitions are the virtue of justice calling for HISTORICAL REDRESS.

I'll stay at home now. Tell Mr. Gillis to burn the screenplay and fuck off, Max.

Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 421May 3, 2021 4:03 AM

Because sometimes dying isn't the best career move.

by Anonymousreply 422May 3, 2021 4:11 AM

Fat, greasy Viola made repelled people so they turned off the screener.

by Anonymousreply 423May 3, 2021 4:15 AM

[quote]and absolutely NOT let weirdo asshole Joaquin Phoenix present it.

Why you be calling my man a 'weirdo asshole'?

by Anonymousreply 424May 3, 2021 6:19 AM

If whoever said The Academy should partially base their vote on how much prep goes into role, surely our Divine Lady of The Accents would have more than a miserly 3?!

by Anonymousreply 425May 3, 2021 7:10 AM

R419 it clearly WAS misunderstood (and you are now revising what you actually posted), because what you posted in response was NOT what was said. Your invalid premise, stated right in the beginning of your rant - that I claimed that prep work wasn't important to a role (I didn't, at all), which you proceeded to denigrate me for over a half-page of text and then conclude with a statement calling me and other DL posters stupid (which also makes you then castigating me for being "nasty" by calling you an idiot kind of curious)

To clarify once again, THE ACADEMY SHOULD LOOK AT THE PERFORMANCE, i.e. how the person PERFORMED in the role, not the backend things (prep work) they did to get to the ultimate performance. The Academy, which judges ACTORS' PERFORMANCES, should not care if the actor lived for a month in a crack den in Toledo in order to make their acting "more realistic".

You seem to just be looking for reasons to bash the DL and its posters.

by Anonymousreply 426May 3, 2021 12:04 PM

[quote]You seem to just be looking for reasons to bash the DL and its posters.

Doll, there are SO MANY reasons these days to bash DL and its incredibly ignorant hateful argumentative posters. This forum used to be fun, DL was a place where actual discussions happened. Posters weren't simply insulted on the basis of having differing opinions. In the past, there was little name calling and certainly not the hate displayed at this extreme level.

Over the past few years, the level of hate towards minorities at DL, has also been off the charts.

Don't twist my words, I DID say the Academy DOES NOT consider prep work! Did you miss the word "NEVER"?

"The problem, the Academy voters never really consider what a performer does to prepare for a role. Riz went through nearly a year learning ASL, learning to play the drums, transforming his usual reed thin frame and working with a coach to perfect the American accent he spoke in. In that respect, Riz is similar to the young DeNiro, he was always transforming himself for a role.

I do understand that the Oscars are usually never concerned about always rewarding performers who already won. The Oscars are usually about rewarding a specific performance. On the other hand, in many instances , years down the line, many performers who never won, are usually rewarded with a special Oscar for always being overlooked for their years of 'service'."

I also CLEARLY stated: "I do understand that the Oscars are usually never concerned about always rewarding performers who already won. The Oscars are usually about rewarding a specific performance."

I was EXTREMELY clear about Oscar winners being rewarded for their specific performances. Please STFU and stop digging that hole even deeper for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 427May 3, 2021 1:02 PM

R427 then WHY did you respond going off on me like I'd said that prep work didn't matter for an actor?

Explain that, please. You haven't yet, despite a thousand words later.

I think you write such lengthy screeds because you are trying to obfuscate the fact that you made a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 428May 3, 2021 1:08 PM

R427 it's also rich that you are complaining about the DL becoming uncivil and name-calling when you called me stupid originally! You're guilty of everything you are whining about. I guess it's different when YOU do it.

by Anonymousreply 429May 3, 2021 1:11 PM

Riz is hot. But he’s openly muslim. We don’t need to promote people who back a violently anti-women, anti-gay “religion.”

by Anonymousreply 430May 3, 2021 1:56 PM

I don't give a shit what prep these actors have to do, it should only be their performance that counts.

And it wouldn't take Meryl one year to learn ASL, how to play drums and adopt an accent. Maybe a month.

by Anonymousreply 431May 3, 2021 2:04 PM

OP, he wasn't THAT good. That's how people lose awards. They weren't better than the next guy. And he didn't have a long body of work to justify just GIVING it to him, which I realize is what people like you would rather see. You don't care if anyone earns something, do you? It's all about giving it to you/him/them. But, he lost. And he'll never win. Pity.

by Anonymousreply 432May 3, 2021 2:14 PM

I got into a friendly argument with my bf about the Hopkins win. He said he would vote for Boseman because he died. Or if Hopkins would’ve died first he would vote for him. Basically because they would get no more chances to win if they croaked. What sense does that make? It should be about who gave the best performance in your mind. It’s always been part popularity contest (the Sandra Bullock win was REALLY about her popularity and box office clout). But then there’s the Glenn Close loss. Where she should’ve won based on her body of work. Eight times denying this woman is a bad joke and ridiculous at this point. So there are exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 433May 3, 2021 2:26 PM

I agree with R432. I think it's within the realm of possibility that some individual members of the academy voted for the performance they felt was best rather than voting for who they're expected to vote for. Maybe enough voters thought that Chadwick Boseman was going to win best actor anyway, so they decided to vote for whoever they thought was the best actor.

Perhaps members of the academy thought Anthony Hopkins gave a great performance in THE FATHER. I saw the movie THE FATHER. It was well done and Anthony Hopkins was convincing. Couldn't it be possible that perhaps a few members of the academy thought Anthony Hopkins' performance was a good one, then voted for him, rather than voting for someone who'd never get a chance again?

Anthony Hopkins won the BAFTA award a few weeks ago, he also won a few more acting awards earlier this year so it's not like his Academy Award win was all that shocking. The critics and predictions I'd read kept saying that Anthony Hopkins could be the surprise winner at the Oscars. It seems like every awards season there's one category where someone is expected to win or it's their time to be acknowledged, but ultimately doesn't win the award. Instead the award goes to the nominee who's been listed as the 'possible upset' or the 'dark horse' or # 2 for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 434May 3, 2021 2:33 PM

R430 I disagree. If he's deserving, it should go to him.

by Anonymousreply 435May 3, 2021 2:36 PM

R434 a few Oscar voters went on record as saying that Boseman was going to win so they voted for Hopkins. I picked Hopkins when I heard that. Most years are pretty predictable anymore, at least in the acting categories. Put with the voting members at about 10,000 now I think upsets are going to be more frequent.

by Anonymousreply 436May 3, 2021 2:45 PM

Anthony Hopkins is 83. It's not like he's going to get a lot more chances for an Oscar, is it? And he's a great actor who probably should have won for Remains of the Day and Nixon.

The Father originally debuted at the Toronto Film Festival before Chadwick Boseman died. In those reviews, all the critics predicted his performance would be unbeatable for the Oscar. Turned out, it was.

by Anonymousreply 437May 3, 2021 5:08 PM

"Riz Ahmed never sat behind drums before he was hired for SOM, how can a non-musician convincingly make-believe they are a drummer? Just walk onto the film set and park his ass behind a drum kit? "

I did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438May 3, 2021 5:21 PM

Literally have never heard of this dude before; maybe that's why. Heath Ledger, I'd heard of since he was in some big roles.

by Anonymousreply 439May 3, 2021 5:22 PM

Hey R436, this is R434. Good thoughts, good comments. I agree with what you state and what R433 says. However, I think many of the awards often come down to two nominees: 1. The popular / sentimental favorite who gets lots of press for a good role 2. The outside spoiler who doesn't get the press coverage, yet quietly wins other awards for a brilliant performance

by Anonymousreply 440May 3, 2021 5:24 PM

[quote]Riz is hot. But he’s openly muslim. We don’t need to promote people who back a violently anti-women, anti-gay “religion.”

Riz is a fake Muslim. He was born into the Muslim faith and much like fake Catholics, who get their Communion etc, he went through the usual motions due to family pressure.

Riz sure doesn't practice what he preaches. Riz uses his Muslim faith to further his career among Muslim South Asians. His current marriage is even a sham, he sure wouldn't have married a non-Muslim woman, this is all about curating his image.

Unlike actual Muslim performers, such as actor Mahershala Ali, Riz is not honest about being a Muslim.

Riz drinks alcohol, lived with a succession of skanks he kept hidden from the showbiz media, uses escorts, is bisexual (has sex with important men in showbiz/fashion, men who can further his career) and is basically a hypocrite. Don't believe the hype about him being a Muslim. It's all a pose.

by Anonymousreply 441May 3, 2021 5:42 PM

[quote]Literally have never heard of this dude before; maybe that's why. Heath Ledger, I'd heard of since he was in some big roles.

Are you talking about Riz? He's been acting for years, mostly in UK indie films and in UK TV series. He's been nominated for a BAFTA several times.

In the US, his first major role was with Jake G in 'Nightcrawler', he went on to win an Emmy for HBO's 'The Night Of' series. He was in the Stars Wars film 'Rogue One' and the truly awful VENOM with DL fave Tom Hardy. He was also in 'Jason Bourne'. He's also worked with the well known Indian female film director Mira Nair. He was the lead in her film, "The Reluctant Fundamentalist'. His co-star was Kate Hudson.

IMDb is your friend, use it.

by Anonymousreply 442May 3, 2021 5:50 PM

Riz Ahmed's agent: you are very tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 443May 3, 2021 5:57 PM

No, R442, I am talking about Chadwick Boseman, and was addressing the OP's question. I don't need to use IMDB. I hadn't heard of him and that was my point.

by Anonymousreply 444May 3, 2021 6:02 PM

R440 true. But there’s years like last year where all four acting winners were set in stone from the Golden Globes on. With the weighted ballot in best pic, there’s really two to three front runners anymore. I think this year, maybe because of Covid, everyone predicted Nomadland and there wasn’t much buzz about the other ones and voters saw fewer of the films. I firmly believe this gave McDormand the edge for lead actress. But it’s always more fun when there’s no clear front runner.

by Anonymousreply 445May 3, 2021 6:15 PM

[quote]No, [R442], I am talking about Chadwick Boseman, and was addressing the OP's question. I don't need to use IMDB. I hadn't heard of him and that was my point.

Are you kidding? Chadwick Boseman like Riz Ahmed had been acting for years.

Guess you don't watch many films? I could understand not knowing about an obscure actor, or actress, who works in a lot of indie films or always stars in streaming series, but Chadwick was well known and was in very popular film, 'Blank Panther'.

Chadwick's death was shocking because he kept his colon cancer a secret for many years. Very much in the same way David Bowie hid his cancer from the media and his fans.

by Anonymousreply 446May 3, 2021 6:25 PM

The very popular film was: BLACK PANTHER.

by Anonymousreply 447May 3, 2021 6:26 PM

[quote]Riz Ahmed's agent: you are very tiresome.

I can assure you, Riz's agent, manager or his publicists are not spending any time on DL.

by Anonymousreply 448May 3, 2021 6:27 PM

R446, nope, not kidding. And it gets worse (for you, because I certainly don't give a flying fuck about this Riz). I've never heard of Riz Ahmed either. And I've watched a lot of movies. Deal with it, you weirdo, obsessed with Riz.

by Anonymousreply 449May 3, 2021 7:21 PM

Often, like Riz A & Olivia Colman & Judy Dench before them, an Oscar / Golden Globe nominee has been working for decades in the United Kingdom or France and is very well known and popular there, but not familiar to American / Canadian audiences until they are in some BAFTA / Oscar nominated film that gets a wide release.

by Anonymousreply 450May 3, 2021 7:34 PM

I'm surprised the diversity Woke didn't complain about the fact that 8 of the acting nominees were all Brits - black, Muslim and white.

by Anonymousreply 451May 3, 2021 8:24 PM

R441 in the US no one cares if you're a fake Muslim!

by Anonymousreply 452May 3, 2021 8:36 PM

" Diversity" means " black," not " Brit."

by Anonymousreply 453May 3, 2021 8:37 PM

[quote][R446], nope, not kidding. And it gets worse (for you, because I certainly don't give a flying fuck about this Riz). I've never heard of Riz Ahmed either. And I've watched a lot of movies. Deal with it, you weirdo, obsessed with Riz.

Absolutely nothing "gets worse" for me. I have no idea WTF that even means, you seem quite incoherent. If that's the case, that you don't care, why even engage another person's responses?

These days, DL seems to be permanently permeated with crass low life pieces of shit posters. People who have zero clue how to have an actual adult discussion. In almost every thread, it's non-stop childish name calling.

DL has become a forum where normal conversation usually descends into this level of fighting over performers none of you will even meet, let alone, care about them or their films. Yet it's always important to tell other how "weird" or "obsessed" they are, which is usually posted by the same men who seem to know the minute details about some dead male pornstars life. Priorities!

btw, WTF rock have you been under, too busy sucking anonymous cock in glory holes? Too busy not watching commercial films? Most people have heard of Chadwick and Riz. My elderly relatives even know who these two actors are.

by Anonymousreply 454May 3, 2021 8:40 PM

Not r444, but I actually remember hearing more about the other main guy in Black Panther than Chadwick, at least until be died. His role didn't have the acting scenes that Michael B. Jordan had.

And I definitely hadn't heard of or seen any of the other movies he's been in. The one Chadwick got nominated for sounds painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 455May 3, 2021 8:40 PM

[quote][R441] in the US no one cares if you're a fake Muslim!

You now claim to speak for ALL Americans? Perhaps where you live. Do you live in a red state?

As expected, yet another ignorant response. Quelle surprise!

by Anonymousreply 456May 3, 2021 8:42 PM

R454 you should just save the "DL has gone downhill" part of your posts in your clipboard so you can paste it into every future post!

by Anonymousreply 457May 3, 2021 8:43 PM

R456 I'm not whoever you are arguing with about Roz Ahmed, but since you mentioned it, I DO speak for all Americans.

by Anonymousreply 458May 3, 2021 8:45 PM

[quote][R456] I'm not whoever you are arguing with about Roz Ahmed, but since you mentioned it, I DO speak for all Americans.

I didn't accuse you of arguing with me about ROZ Ahmed.

Reading comprehension problems?

Actually, you flyovers sure don't speak for "all Americans". Please stay in Bumfuck, Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 459May 3, 2021 9:26 PM

De mortuis nil nisi bonum BUT... I saw Black Panther and it was like every other dumb Marvel movie. And you've seen one, you've seen them all. I can't even remember Boseman in the movie. Michael B. Jordan and Lupita made a bigger impression on me.

by Anonymousreply 460May 3, 2021 9:31 PM

R459 "flyovers" based on what exactly? You're a ridiculous snob who thinks he's far more than he actually is. You have a totally unnecessary hair trigger and I seriously hope you are just off your meds, because anyone encountering you in real life is in for a total nightmare.

Seek help.

by Anonymousreply 461May 4, 2021 9:12 AM

he was simply not the most talented.

most of his awards were woke sympanthy votes.

by Anonymousreply 462May 4, 2021 9:19 AM

Roz Ahmed looks like he has been eating well lately!

by Anonymousreply 463May 4, 2021 10:19 AM

I see the Riz hatar is in this thread. Which important man has he slept with?

by Anonymousreply 464May 4, 2021 10:42 AM

Oops:

The @NFL Draft in #Cleveland was a big deal.

Draft > Oscars: Thursday's first-round coverage drew 12.5 million viewers, the event's second-highest viewership ever (trailing last year) and about two million more than the Oscars drew last Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 465May 4, 2021 12:23 PM

462: thanks Karen

by Anonymousreply 466May 5, 2021 12:21 AM

[quote]Film actors are paid a flat celery unless you’re a huge name

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 467May 5, 2021 3:42 AM

If it was rounded celery and served with a dip...well...things would be different.

by Anonymousreply 468May 5, 2021 3:54 AM

I watched Sound of Metal last night. I was really looking forward to it after all the praise.

WTF? Riz' character was so opaque, expressionless. Never figured out what he was thinking, what he wanted. And the ending? I've never been so underwhelmed.

I noticed when he was supposed to be signing, the camera would cut to his face so you barely saw his hands - I guess because his signing was insufficient. His drumming looked equally inept.

Only interesting part was how they played with sound when he was deaf and when he got the implants which didn't reliably relate ambient sound.

The whole episode with the girlfriend (who was unrecognizable) staying with her father in some French-speaking country came out of left-field and didn't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 469May 5, 2021 4:09 PM

Yeah, R368, he was such a selfish guy.

by Anonymousreply 470May 7, 2021 3:32 AM

Made me respect the Oscar's integrity even more, though I'm sure it was a close race between Boseman and Hopkins. If ever the Academy would fuss with votes for sentiment and ratings, this would be it but, no, the night fizzled out with a winner who didn't even show, not the climax they wanted. It made me laugh but I was also proud of how it played out.

by Anonymousreply 471May 7, 2021 4:03 AM

How come Joaquin Phoenix didn't read those blurbs about what inspired the actors to become one like they did for the other three categories?

Did he just skip it? Or maybe Hopkins and Boseman's family didn't supply one. (the actors gave them the info themselves.)

by Anonymousreply 472May 7, 2021 4:06 AM

Phoenix is an asshole, he was trying to be an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 473May 7, 2021 8:10 PM

Not enough Academy members voted for him. The end.

by Anonymousreply 474May 7, 2021 8:13 PM

"How come Joaquin Phoenix didn't read those blurbs about what inspired the actors to become one like they did for the other three categories?"

Maybe it was cut since they went overtime.

by Anonymousreply 475May 7, 2021 8:25 PM

Renee read them for Best Actress when they were already overtime.

by Anonymousreply 476May 7, 2021 8:27 PM

Joaquin could easily have introduced the actors but he hates giving credit to other actors. He's a little shit as well as a whackjob.

by Anonymousreply 477May 8, 2021 2:38 AM

I think they were pressed for the time at the end. Joaquin might’ve showed up late, considering last years lead actor crowns the new lead actress, which Renee did. Hard to tell. Soderbergh might’ve wanted a male presenter at the end too. All I know is it ended with a whimper. They probably should’ve announced the winners in the press release.

by Anonymousreply 478May 8, 2021 2:49 AM

Speaking of winners who are unknown to us but well known in their own countries, the actress who won best supporting actress for her role in Minari has been acting since 1971 in both films and television, and is apparently very very popular in South Korea. Until I looked her up, I thought that she was just a one of those discoveries, a person who's never acted before but is a natural...!

She may be a natural, but she's got five decades of experience under her belt ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 479May 8, 2021 3:20 AM

[quote]The whole episode with the girlfriend (who was unrecognizable) staying with her father in some French-speaking country came out of left-field and didn't make any sense.

Weren't they in Paris? Lou's dad was played by Mathieu Amalric, who was brilliant in artist Julian Schnabel's film 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'.

by Anonymousreply 480May 8, 2021 6:08 AM

HAS WE REACHED DA POINT YET WHERE WE NO GOTS TO LISTEN TO OR HEAR HIS NAME NO MO?

by Anonymousreply 481May 9, 2021 4:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!