Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Streaming is getting ridiculous, not really better than cable

If there are shows/movies you want to watch on many different streaming platforms, it gets pricey. Subscribing to everything, plus your internet bill, costs almost and maybe more than cable.

And guess what, it’s going to get worse with inflation. Cable may be forced to reduce prices because of the loss of demand, and to keep customers interested, while streaming will frequently increase in price.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2021 9:44 PM

I've never gotten why people want to have all the different streaming services. Pick one or two and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2021 2:00 PM

Ooh, the Netflix zombies and WandaVision LOONS will be stalking you now!

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2021 2:01 PM

I think once the pandemic ends and people have more entertainment options that involve leaving their couch the streaming companies are going to be fucked. I have four right now. Totals about $50 which is less than cable ever was by a long shot. I'll likely go down to two once I can go out.

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2021 2:03 PM

R1

What if there’s something you’re interested in on every streaming service?

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2021 2:10 PM

Who says you have to subscribe to everything at once, OP? You pick one, two or three services, soak up everything good they have to offer, cancel and move on to others. You rotate them. Maybe you have one anchor service you’re always subscribed to, like Netflix in my case, but I don’t know anybody who’s subscribed to everything at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2021 2:11 PM

I first realized that when TCM became subscription based

by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2021 2:13 PM

This sidesteps many of the hurdles Comcast faced when it wanted to offer best selling channels piecemeal.

by Anonymousreply 7April 25, 2021 2:18 PM

they have been advertising 3 or 4 good movies I would like to see but they are on Apple tv, amazon, disney. No way am I paying for all those stations. It is ridiculous and they need to find a better way to do this.

by Anonymousreply 8April 25, 2021 2:26 PM

Well do you have to see them all right now, R8? What are you, a child? Assuming they’re not available for rent on something like the iTunes Store, you’ll have to wait until you rotate through those various services like I strategized in R5 and then you can watch them.

I was a Disney Plus subscriber and I let it lapse a few months ago. I’ll probably re-subscribe later this year, after letting my Hulu membership expire, and then I can get up on everything I’ve missed on Disney Plus. What’s the big deal? There’s nothing on any of these services that will kill me if I don’t see it immediately.

by Anonymousreply 9April 25, 2021 2:59 PM

I planned on getting cable after moving to my new place, and decided to pass when I was quoted $130 a month for a cable/Internet package. I then thought I'd sign up for Hulu's live TV package, but it's $65 a month alone! I now subscribe to Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Criterion Channel, Disney +, and Hulu, and it still costs about $70 a month for those packages alone. It's starting to get ridicilous...I need to cancel Hulu and Netflix since I barely watch anything on either.

by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2021 3:06 PM

Netflix has been mostly shit for some time now.

by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2021 5:14 PM

If you don't know how to watch anything you want for free online by this point in time, you're fucking hopeless.

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2021 5:18 PM

Typical thieving Millennial/GenZ-er at R12.

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2021 5:51 PM

I subscribed to YouTube Premium so that I don’t have to deal with advertisements. That’s about it for me and it’s really all I need. The rest of the time I read books—when I’m not penising my penis, that is.

by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2021 6:04 PM

r13 I'm Gen X. This tech has been around for nearly fifteen years now, it's pretty commonplace.

by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2021 6:36 PM

WatchSeries, Sockshare, HiMovies

by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2021 6:37 PM

[QUOTE] I need to cancel Hulu and Netflix since I barely watch anything on either.

That would be a good idea. There’s no need to be subscribed to six different services at once.

by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2021 6:57 PM

I spend too much on streaming, but I enjoy it and it's helped me get through the pandemic. I have or have tried most of the major services, but I also subscribe to an IPTV service with international channels because I'm fascinated by non-US TV. A couple of awesome discoveries: Indian soap operas and the Saudi version of [italic]Family Feud,[/italic] where the women wear burqas.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2021 2:43 PM

Streaming services and cable are great if your viewing style is just to flop down in front of a screen for a few hours and watch whatever's available.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2021 3:39 PM

Totally predictable.

But hey---the Yahoos who clamored for "a la carte" cable got what they wished for.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2021 6:28 PM

R18, Seriously? Oh, I'll bet the Saudi version is a laff-riot.

"We asked 100 Saudi men, 'Name a place you wouldn't allow your wife to go by herself?' Mohammed, where would you say?"

"Everywhere!"

"That is the #1 answer! Now, Ahmed, name a place 100 Saudi men said they would not allow their wives to go alone."

"Everywhere!"

"That is the #2 answer! Great start, Al-Gebra Family!"

Do the women on the losing team get stoned, and not in the good way?

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2021 6:36 PM

You know what's going to happen. Disney already started. They are going to start packaging the different streaming services in bundles and selling them just like they used to sell cable. The packages will include ten services, seven of which you don't want but you have to pay for them to get the three you do want. Then, they'll skyrocket the prices.

Same as it ever was.

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2021 7:09 PM

OP, your trollish, insignificant opinion has been duly noted.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2021 8:35 PM

Netflix is full of crap nowadays

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2021 8:36 PM

What, R24, you don't like Indian tv movies from 2011?

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2021 9:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!