Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are Old-Fashioned Nurse Uniforms Still Worn in The US?

I understand they still use them in Asian countries, but is there any place in the US where a woman can still choose the old uniform? I think they appear a lot more professional than billowy scrubs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2021 11:03 PM

I've only seen scrubs.

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2021 8:35 PM

No. Nurses always wear scrubs.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2021 8:42 PM

Who's the blue-eyed hunk?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2021 8:52 PM

They could at least still wear the caps. I would guess it would be convenient on a bad hair day.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2021 9:11 PM

OP, how is it "professional" to wear something that makes you look silly and girly? Male doctors don't dress that way

Weird how some gay men think it's their job to lecture women on how to dress or appear... how would you feel if straight women told you that you weren't manly enough and that you need to dress more macho?

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2021 9:13 PM

I don't understand not wanting to wear a cute little hat either R4.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2021 9:19 PM

Are male nurses supposed to dress this way, too?

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2021 9:20 PM

That would put a huge burden on the nurses, to have to wear a pristine-clean and freshly-starched uniform every day.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2021 9:22 PM

OP - good lord, what’s up with that hat. Were there no fashion savvy gays available the day that they were putting that hideous ensemble together.

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2021 9:29 PM

My mother was a nurse and she couldn't stand those caps. She was happy when they were phased out.

She was also happy when the female nurses could finally wear pants, too.

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2021 9:34 PM

R6 et al, my sister received her BSN in 1984. Several years ago I asked her if she were still in a clinical setting (she's been in emergency preparedness for about 15 years now), would she prefer to don her old nurse's togs. I told her how sloppy a lot of nurses and techs look in their scrubs, too-long legs dragging the floor every step being caught under their shoe soles. I know my sister hates that, too.

Sister said "No; and I'll tell you why: People think the white dress uniform looked pristine and clean, ESPECIALLY the smart white hat/cap. They have no idea how difficult it is to clean and disinfect those caps, and way too many nurses didn't even try. Between the cap with all those germ and dirt-hiding folds and the dress with dirt-collecting sleeves and germ-collecting pleats, today's scrubs are actually an improvement; not aesthetically, but practically."

It was an AHA moment for me, and explained why Sister used to buy so many uniforms and caos, more than any other nurse I knew. She obviously was being sure she had plenty of reserve uniforms to rotate while deep cleaning the used ones when she found the time.

Plus Crocs and socks are easily tossed in the washing machine along with the scubs, unlike the old white leather SAS brogans and white hose which had to be cleaned by hand.

Can you imagine how easily Covid could find and hitch a ride deep in the folds of a nurse's cap?

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2021 9:46 PM

I quite agree with Op.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2021 9:49 PM

[quote] I think they appear a lot more professional than billowy scrubs.

Of course you do.

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2021 9:51 PM

"Billowy," OP? You must be thinking of my dazzling all-white nursing caftan/turban ensemble...

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2021 9:53 PM

[quote]is there any place in the US where a woman can still choose the old uniform?

Yes, in strip clubs and at bachelor parties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2021 10:18 PM

I get a bit irritated when I visit a doctor's office or hospital and the staff are dressed like anyone coming in the off the street. The only identifying signifier is their badge, often hidden under a worn-out sweater. I don't expect the old nurse's outfit with hats, but scrubs or a version of them depending on the season where a nurse and other medical staff are identifiable is nice.

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2021 10:29 PM

No, but they need to go back to at least having a standard color-coded uniform for each type of professional. Go to a hospital today and everyone, Doctors, nurses, and support staff all look the same.

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2021 10:33 PM

[quote]She was also happy when the female nurses could finally wear pants, too.

But can male nurses wear skirts and dresses? I think not! Triggered!

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2021 10:41 PM

I always wondered how the hats stayed on. They floated atop the head as if held there by magic.

I was a simple child.

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2021 11:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!