Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Why?

The setting, I grant you, is magnificent. But I’m so puzzled.

Why did someone choose to build a combination grain silo/Gothic folly on it?

Why did they then wrap it in tin foil?

Why would someone want that many windows in the frozen VT winters?

Why are the bedrooms so basic and dinky?

Why couldn’t they fully commit to their vision and install a full moat on the grounds instead of that half-assed water feature?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2021 6:34 PM

Post-modern castle ruin... same ol', same ol'

Actually, I find it fun and creative without being totally lame. It looks very livable and the views are to die for

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2021 12:37 PM

Looks like a project from "Grand Designs".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2021 12:42 PM

It’s quirky in a beetle juice kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2021 12:53 PM

Why do they need seating for two dozen, plus an amphitheater? Cult?

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2021 12:57 PM

It's funny... I really like it on the inside (except bowling alley as dining room) but outside it's just ridiculous and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2021 12:58 PM

The interior doesn't look bad, but that long dining table for a king's feast is too extravagant with a narrow hall. Some rooms are tight such as the one couch squeezed between two walls. The castle designed exterior looks depressing. The surrounding scenery is awesome.

I'd pass on the house.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2021 12:58 PM

Yes, I see the impracticality, but I don’t hate it. I wouldn’t want to own it, but there’s something appealing about it. There’s all this open space, but many small ones.

We inherited a house that was designed by a nutty architect in the early 80s. It has the same kind of thing: there are soaring ceilings with skylights but cozy nooks, too. It’s very interesting. People “aaah” and congregate in the open space and retreat to the smaller ones to convene or recuperate. The windows aren’t as much of a problem in the cold of winter (Northeast peninsula) as you might think. Maybe it’s construction or the southern exposure.

Thanks for sharing this, OP. It was fun to see. Anyway,

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2021 12:59 PM

I like the inside except for the dining room for a small boys' school.

And who builds an amphitheater?

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2021 1:04 PM

[quote] People “aaah” and congregate in the open space and retreat to the smaller ones to convene or recuperate.

That's what I was thinking. The interiors look very comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2021 1:16 PM

The outside is a bit silly, but the inside is wonderful.

And the views are great. I wonder how easy it is to get up there in the icy winter.

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2021 1:50 PM

There’s too many odd darkly lit corners, ill- fitting angles and unused space. It’d be great for a sex party, though!

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2021 1:58 PM

I guess you cannot argue about taste. Personally, I find the exterior result misguided. But I always appreciate when an architect and an individual with deep pockets try something new.

In my neighborhood I cringe seeing that new houses are now all square (flat roof top) boxes with lots of glass and concrete, with alibi wood panels thrown at the façade. I found that interesting when it was new, but now every builder is doing it, and it became old very quickly. So, I appreciate when somebody tries something else.

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2021 2:03 PM

Designs like this are very good for ventilation as the air is drawn strongly up through the core and out the top. I don't mind the outside to the point of disliking it but I think it could be a different, light but warmer color. The stone wall that turns into a facade of the house - I don't like the stone cladding it looks super cheap and I would rethink that.

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2021 2:05 PM

[quote]I wonder how easy it is to get up there in the icy winter.

You don't live in that part of the world without four wheel drive. Vermont is Subaru per capita world headquarters. It takes a lot to strand you.

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2021 2:14 PM

If you're going to do something like that, then you really have to commit.

The wooden balconies look out of place and should have been stone.

If you're going for ruins, it needed to be more ruined.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2021 2:27 PM

Does it indicate the inspiration is "ruin"?

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2021 2:29 PM

Modern monstrosity that needs to be reclaimed by the forest. I hope moose and other wildlife shit in the pretentious amphitheater.

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2021 2:30 PM

Vermont has a "view" tax. I wonder what they pay?

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2021 2:30 PM

Seems very suitable for AirB&B (and I wonder if that was their intention when building it).

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2021 2:33 PM

Late 90s/early 00s iron work brought so many interiors together and this is one of them. The stairs are exquisite.

That’s propane/wood heat - in Vermont. You have to be able to close off rooms and that great hall is not one of them.

Also, there are two open lots for parking - with no garage. There has to be an outbuilding to maintain the exterior, but none is listed.

This smells like a turnkey folly. I’d buy it if I shit money for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2021 3:10 PM

I quite like it actually. I thought the same of the dining room too... it’s huge and long and impersonal. But are we sure there isn’t a mirror at the end of that picture, doubling the apparent size of the room?

by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2021 3:14 PM

too weird for me

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2021 3:19 PM

R21 I thought there was a mirror, but the chairs at the heads of the table are different.

Outside: -1/10 Inside: 7/10

I really like that circular room, it has something.

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2021 3:20 PM

R5 & R6 I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about the ridiculously narrow "dining room" (and I hesitate to call it that).

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2021 3:24 PM

Parking is very far from the door; you'll be schlepping all kinds of crap, then find the kitchen.

It's Vermont. You need mudroom, or you'll have footprints and skis all over the house.

The dining room is really claustrophobic. Love the round library.

Sometimes architects forget that the machine for living contains humans.

Grow ivy up the stone.

by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2021 3:46 PM

I sort of like the quirkiness of it but a dinning room that sits 30 and parking spaces for 6 cars just does not compute for me. I can't imagine paying $2.5 million for a house and not having a garage in snowy Vermont and what type of garage could you even built that wouldn't look out of place? No out buildings on 240 acres where would you store stuff, the basement is 400 sq ft.

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2021 3:52 PM

[quote] Dining Room Dimensions: 37 x 10

Yup, R23, you’re right.

I google mapped the address and the earth view shows the lot before construction was complete. You can see the equipment they used to quarry the rocks from the site, as promised in the realtor details.

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2021 3:52 PM

R27 Google Satellite view has the house it is way beyond the quarry, just continue to follow the road past the quarry, it is hard to find, at first I didn't think the house was there either, then I found it.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2021 4:03 PM

Why did someone varnish the fieldstone?

Why did someone actually build a gamer geek's drawing of a grain silo fortified Medieval=style?

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2021 5:35 PM

Very post modern. At least they made an effort. Wouldn’t be my thing - I hate post modern. The danger of doing of the Monet architecture.

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2021 5:59 PM

Imagine those views in fall when the leaves are changing. The house reminds me of Catherine O'Hara's house in Beetlejuice.

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2021 6:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!