Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I miss Roseanne...

The Conners was on tv so i gave it about 10 minutes before feeling cheated and turning it off. It is awful to see them trying to make a show without Roseanne. It is all so fuckin unfunny, forces and awkward (Bit like my writing style i know). I can't help but think of what happened to Roseanne and feel it's unjust and unlucky for anyone who liked her in HER show.

by Anonymousreply 172May 6, 2021 11:44 AM

Agree wholeheartedly. It’s an unpopular opinion but I’m sticking to it.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2021 2:43 PM

"I can't help but think of what happened to Roseanne and feel it's unjust and unlucky for anyone who liked her in HER show."

Unlucky that you liked a bigot, or unlucky that a bigot was held accountable for her words?

I can't tell you how much I LOVE The Conners. It's a blessing not having to look at some racist Trumptard who like her hero has been nothing but a phony.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2021 2:53 PM

Roseanne is no longer Roseanne, OP. That person is long gone, replaced by a QAnon lunatic who spends her time ranting and raving in YouTube videos.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2021 2:53 PM

Roseanne always had mental health issues, guess it took that orange bastard Dump to show her fans exactly how severe her mental health issues were.

Not only has the Orange Menace caused millions of racist MAGATS to crawl out of the woodwork, Dump has also emboldened lots of racist, homophobic, misogynistic, xenophobic celebrities to crawl out of the woodwork too. Roseanne is one of them.

I don't feel sorry for Roseanne one damn bit.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2021 2:59 PM

Roseanne isn’t Roseanne anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2021 3:04 PM

Op is another racist deplorable troll longing for the days of Jim Crow and the closet.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2021 3:09 PM

Let her go, OP, link below is what Roseanne thinks is a funny caption on her instagram

Roseanne is gone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2021 3:09 PM

Why are people assuming OP isn't also a Q loon?

I know this is a troll thread (and OP goes a little too hard on the "random" capitalization mistakes to be truly believable) but his post says nothing about not agreeing with her.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2021 3:13 PM

So do I.............I am a little embarrassed to feel this way..........but the show really did capture the "silent hopelessness" of most of America's former middle class..............

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2021 3:14 PM

The replies are so predictable. Red meat, I guess. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2021 3:15 PM

I watched when Roseanne was initially rebooted and it just wasn’t funny. It didn’t have the same pace or natural feel. It felt very forced. I actually thought the Roseanne tweet was planned because she just wasn’t feeling it anymore. She didn’t seem into it at all. None of them did actually.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2021 3:16 PM

R11 I agree that the new show hadn't found its footing yet, but disagree that she was over it. She would excitedly live-tweet every other line of every episode. I still like the crazy bitch, we've been through decades of shenanigans with her, she's a true eccentric and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2021 3:26 PM

It's The Darlene Show now, bitches. Sit back and let me entertain you!

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2021 3:28 PM

They are in the shrimp business now.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2021 3:29 PM

The casting and storylines of the original series were pretty brilliant. I mean how many shows in the 90s had a gay wedding?

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2021 3:31 PM

someone explain that instagram post, please!

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2021 3:32 PM

I think i am simply longing for the day when the show was actually good and she was vibrant and in her element. It's really unfortunate things ended in such an ugly, shameful way for what i believe to be a strong women. I hate that her thoughtless comments got her fucked. Im so tired of the anger i see bubbling up in everyone. I am no troll or racist... or a man for that matter

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2021 3:33 PM

r16 it's what Roseanne screamed in an interview, talking about Valerie Jarrett

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2021 3:35 PM

R17 is OP btw...

I am more fucking loyal than to turn my back on a hardworking, unapologetic and entertaining women like her because she might be having troubles woth her mental health. I do think she might have lost touch with what's considered funny in these fucking precious times.

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2021 3:39 PM

Can we be honest? The show never should have been rebooted. The first several seasons of the original were as brilliant as a sitcom can get. But in the original, the quality was falling off towards the end. John Goodman left the show and everyone else was tired. It's just like Lucille Ball's career. I Love Lucy was a brilliant show. All her other tv shows were mediocrity at best. To quote a DL eldergay, "Gary should have talked Roseanne out of it."

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2021 3:41 PM

VJ = 🐒, ruin my career? 🥜

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2021 3:42 PM

Also........ Sarah is so thin lipped and lifeless that she reminds me of a hand puppet. They would be nowhere without Roseanne and they turned their backs on her too.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2021 3:44 PM

I don't know what happened to Roseanne Barr. In the 90s, she was a trailblazer with her show. The show was pro-gay. Roseanne was frenemies with her gay boss, Leon. When her friend, Nancy, came out to her and Jackie, Roseanne basically said, "we'll treat this like everything else. We'll make fun of you for awhile, and then we'll get back to normal." In another episode (where DJ didn't want to kiss his POC co-star in a play), Roseanne questioned whether she was racist because of how she reacted to a POC who knocked on her restaurant door. Teen daughter Becky went on birth control (because Roseanne knew she couldn't stop her daughter from having sex and she didn't want to be stuck dealing with a baby).

Even in the 80s and 90s, Roseanne was crazy. She was in her mid 30s when she became a household name, and she acted like an overgrown teenager for awhile. And the crazy behavior made her even more famous and notorious. But her vision for her show always remained steady and clear: feminist and liberal.

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2021 3:48 PM

I agree with R20. They all seemed tired. It was fun for nostalgia but not a full-time gig.

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2021 3:50 PM

I think the controversy was blown way out of proportion and everybody overreacted. It was stupid of Roseanne to Tweet what she did, but it shouldn't have been a career-killer.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2021 3:58 PM

It's too much drama and not enough comedy.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2021 3:59 PM

I like The Conners. The show is much better without her these days.

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2021 4:26 PM

[quote] Roseanne isn’t Roseanne anymore.

I think you’re not separating the character from the actress. Yes, Roseanne the person is horrible and crazy and a conspiracy loon, but Roseanne the character was none of those things. It’s sad that her iconic character had such a sad demise. It just leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the original show’s fans. We would rather the show not be rebooted and have Roseanne still be alive.

Just like if they reboot Home Improvement and decided to make Tim Taylor DEAD because Tim Allen is a right wing troll, the fans would revolt and not like it one bit. You can’t call those fans racist just because they’re fans of the character Tim Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2021 4:37 PM

[quote] But in the original, the quality was falling off towards the end. John Goodman left the show and everyone else was tired.

John Goodman left Roseanne? How did they explain his absence? He died?

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2021 4:39 PM

[quote] John Goodman left Roseanne? How did they explain his absence? He died?

In the second to last season, Goodman got tired of Roseanne's onset antics and walked off the set. That launched a negotiation for him to finish out the last season. Roseanne said she was fine with him leaving and that the last season would concentrate on her and Jackie being single mothers. The producers convinced Goodman to do episodes in the last season, but it was said that he wanted to concentrate on his film career. I think they used the excuse that his character was off working a job in another state. So, for example, he's not in the episode where Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley appear.

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2021 5:28 PM

[quote]I think they used the excuse that his character was off working a job in another state.

Oops, sorry. The storyline was that we went to California to take care of his sick mother.

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2021 5:32 PM

R28, I'll throw this out there - I kind of like seeing the evolution of the Conner family so many years later, and more of a focus on the other actors and their stories.

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2021 6:02 PM

She gave all those unfortunate-looking people careers and wealth. They should have been a little bit supportive of her, or at least not so harsh.

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2021 6:40 PM

Just like how all the Harry Potter kids turned on JK Rowling so quick and calling her evil. They would be nowhere without her.

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2021 6:46 PM

I have to agree with the Roseanne isn’t Roseanne thing too. She was literally destroying the legacy of Roseanne Connor. The character was progressive in a blue color socially conservative town. Seeing her turn into a bumbling Archie Bunker where the joke was on her was really sad to watch.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2021 6:59 PM

Roseanne is a bitch and all. But she is funny. I just don't feel bad for at all. Roseanne jeopardized the show with her insane Twitter addiction and it was selfish because the cast and crew could have lost their jobs. I was happy they continued the show without her just so the actors and writers could still get the work. She is a MAGAT, conspiracy theorist and can't keep her mouth for the sake of her career and others involved. She did this to herself.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2021 7:00 PM

R33, she put their jobs in jeopardy all through the 90s. She made the show hell for anyone who worked on it. Lying about her father molesting her was just one of a hundred incidents that could have lead to the show being yanked. Cut the crap. You wanna see Roseanne in the driver’s seat, watch the final horrible season of the 90s show. The success of the show came from the writers despite Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2021 7:01 PM

*led

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2021 7:02 PM

I can't believe that ABC didn't step in and have it in Roseanne's contract that she would be off social media for the duration of the show. Everybody knew what a nut she was, it's should've been "we're not greenlighting the show unless you stay off social media."

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote] I think you’re not separating the character from the actress.

Roseanne wouldn’t separate herself from the character which is why we got MAGAt Roseanne Connor. She then tweeted every week to watch how she took down her libtard daughter.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2021 7:04 PM

Roseanne did say on Joe Rogan that ABC had asked her "many times before" to stay away from twitter, on top of her own children trying to change her password etc. It was a long time coming. After all, they cancelled their top show within 24 hours. I bet nobody was surprised behind the scenes and had their statements ready for a while. Who knows.

She was given many warnings. Her twitter feed was horrendous for years.

I do miss Roseanne Conner too, I was gutted they killed her off, shutting the door forever... I would have preferred a rehab storyline. Imagine Roseanne Conner barging in the house after a season yelling "This entire family tried to cancel me and now I'M BACK!" It would have been funny.

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2021 7:08 PM

R39, they did everything they could. They took meeting after meeting with her. They bent the rules which I’d what pissed off the rest of the talent at ABC who also sign moral clauses. Roseanne thought it was the 90s where as long as she brought in the ratings she could do anything she wanted. She didn’t understand that the networks are no longer all run by a bunch of white men. The black woman who was in charge of ABC really took a personal beating for looking the other way when it came to Roseanne’s behavior.

This is the problem with this incidents: people think that Roseanne and that chick from the Star Wars show were fired over a single incident. They weren’t. They keep on going after their boss told them repeatedly to stop. They were begging yo be fired. Roseanne is a very dangerous individual. A pathological liar. She’ll gladly have you sent to prison and play the victim. She even lied about the final meeting she had with ABC.

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2021 7:08 PM

They should have sent the character of Roseanne to rehab. Killing her off is way too harsh. It does a disservice to all the previous years and seasons. What’s the point of watching the old seasons now when you know she just winds up dead of an OD. How would people have liked the Will and Grace reboot if they had killed off Grace?

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2021 7:09 PM

Roseanne’s supposed mental health problems are suspect. She pulls that out to get out of jams. It’s a crutch. She more likely suffers from personality disorders. Her own sister said she was like this, always a victim, before she became famous. She tried to get out of getting fired from ABC by telling them that she’d check into a mental health facility. She’s a very sick woman but not in the way many people think. Even she admitted that she doesn’t take meds. She smokes pot all day. She never takes any responsibility. It’s always, I apologize followed by a BUT... It’s amazing that these people can’t shut their fucking mouths and collect a million dollar paycheck. It’s really disgusting how she turned on Sara Gilbert and won’t even speak to Laurie Metcalf. Roseanne is blacklisted in Hollywood. She will never work again in it. Maybe a Fox News gig. I think part of her ABC settlement was an agreement she could never work for them again. Employers see her as a liability. Keep in mind that companies have to answer to investors. It’s not as simple as one person deciding to pull the plug. There are many people involved. And then once the sponsors pull out... ABC had no choice and I feel bad that they get blamed. The blame lies solely at the feet of Roseanne. She’s surrounded by her loser family who indulge in her deplorable behavior. They egg her on. A bunch of Yes men.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2021 7:16 PM

[quote] Roseanne thought it was the 90s where as long as she brought in the ratings she could do anything she wanted.

Good point. Nobody is indispensable anymore, even big stars. The business has changed so much.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2021 7:35 PM

[quote]It’s amazing that these people can’t shut their fucking mouths and collect a million dollar paycheck.

Seriously. I would do anything the network wanted for that kind of $$$.

You don't want me on Twitter anymore? Fine. You don't want me to talk politics? Fine. You want me to bend over and have "property of ABC/Disney/the Easter Bunny tattooed on my ass? Fine. I'm not rocking the boat if I'm pulling in the kind of $$$ you're paying me.

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2021 7:39 PM

Who cares what an actor/actress does off-camera?

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2021 7:45 PM

[quote]Who cares what an actor/actress does off-camera?

The company that hires them. Who they hire is a reflection of the company. You work there at their pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2021 7:54 PM

There's a difference between doing things in private and spending all day posting on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2021 7:56 PM

I totally agree, OP.

by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2021 7:57 PM

I wish they had Dan smash a punch bowl on the floor and say the “D” word a few times.

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2021 8:20 PM

I never knew that Goodman walked off the set in the second to last season. That explains why Roseanne massacred his character. In the final season, it was revealed that Dan was having an affair, which was completely out of character for him; he had always been portrayed as a devoted family man. She wanted to make the character unlikeable, I guess. And if that wasn't enough, in the finale, she revealed that Dan Conner was dead.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2021 8:40 PM

Until her row with Roseanne, I thought Valerie Jarrett was white too.

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2021 8:43 PM

RQseanne’s show turned to shit when she started believing her own publicity.

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2021 8:47 PM

[quote]Roseanne massacred his character.

Which is interesting because the producers used the argument that Dan’s character smoothed over Roseanne’s bitchyness much like Edith smoothed over Archie on All in the Family.

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2021 8:47 PM

I thought Valerie Jarrett was Asian.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2021 8:57 PM

I had heard she was born in Iran so I vaguely thought of her as Persian. Not that I gave her much thought at all.

by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2021 9:03 PM

Roseanne Conner was quite bitchy. She constantly bullied her best friend Crystal. When she was a waitress at Rodbell's diner, she stole food from the kitchen, she regularly insulted her boss, and she was rude to the customers. When her boss, Leon, announced he was leaving the restaurant, Roseanne argued with Bonnie that, even though Roseanne was a (proudly) a crappy employee, Roseanne deserved to be the new boss because she needed the money for her kids. There was an old dude she worked with, whom she got fired, and in two additional episodes, she got him fired again for being rude and lazy.

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2021 9:07 PM

If you miss Roseanne then tune into the brilliant United State of Al.

Tune in to watch Parker Young's cock bulge.

by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2021 9:08 PM

Roseanne the character, the comic and (I assume) the person is a brat, shock jock, and provocateur. It's her charm and what makes her funny. She isn't predictable, which I like about her.

by Anonymousreply 60April 23, 2021 9:13 PM

The incident where John Goodman walked off set was during filming of the Halloween episode in the 8th season. There was an article in Entertainment Weekly about it.

I agree that The Connors suffers terribly without Roseanne as a presense. It's not funny enough, it's too depressing, and it comes off as if it were written by a bunch of rich people. Which it is. But there's really nothing to be done about it. It is what it is, and Roseanne has nobody to blame but herself.

by Anonymousreply 61April 23, 2021 9:40 PM

The was ground-breaking and progressive for the 90's, and the jokes are still funny and sarcastic. It's incredible that Sara Gilbert turned out to be such a back-stabbing bitch and stole the show from her. Not a single castmate came to her defense even after Roseanne gave them all careers. Shitty people.

I tried to watch The Connors, but the jokes seemed too forced and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 62April 23, 2021 9:49 PM

R62 come now, it’s obvious the lovely and talented Sara Gilbert would have been the TOAST of Hollywood with or without Roseanne!

by Anonymousreply 63April 23, 2021 10:16 PM

That may be the saddest thread title on DL.

It's a golden age of TV fare and some sad fucker is all weepy about Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2021 10:18 PM

R43 it would have been great if they had killed off Grace! WILL & JACK or even WILL & KAREN - hell I would have even liked WILL & ROSARIO more.

by Anonymousreply 65April 23, 2021 11:27 PM

R26 Representative of the times.

by Anonymousreply 66April 23, 2021 11:34 PM

So you are the one, OP?

by Anonymousreply 67April 24, 2021 12:18 AM

You have to remember how abysmal the sitcom landscape of the 80s was. Sickly sweet family comedies like Growing Pains, Mr. Belvedere, Family Ties etc. All were affluent families with no real problems and just lame as hell. Then Roseanne introduced a rude blue-collar family who were struggling to make ends meet and had problems many Americans could identify with. There was nothing else like it on tv, and it really connected with audiences. Also, Roseanne put an end to the stupid rich family sitcoms that had dominated the 80s. They were suddenly really passé and outdated.

by Anonymousreply 68April 24, 2021 12:50 AM

[quote]Then Roseanne introduced a rude blue-collar family who were struggling to make ends meet and had problems many Americans could identify with.

This is true. Roseanne had a house that wasn't always spotless, Audiences could see a basket of unfolded laundry or a messy living room. That wasn't something that was shown on tv in the past. You understood the weariness of a mother who had to work and then come home and deal with family problems. You saw the real antagonism between the children, the anger and screaming at each other. Also, I was unemployed at the same time that the Roseanne character was. It was so frustrating because Congress was arguing over whether unemployment benefits should be extended. Roseanne really tapped into the culture zeitgeist of the times.

by Anonymousreply 69April 24, 2021 12:58 AM

Also, everybody and their mother watched the three networks in the 80s because there was nothing else to watch. Tv shows back then reached a huge audience back then in ways that would be impossible now. We all watched the same shows.

by Anonymousreply 70April 24, 2021 1:00 AM

The reboot had huge ratings.

by Anonymousreply 71April 24, 2021 1:01 AM

Getting fired from her own show she created...was a response that was WAY out of proportion to some random tweet. Most people had never heard of Valerie Jarrett and certainly wouldn't know what color she appeared to be.

by Anonymousreply 72April 24, 2021 1:06 AM

[quote] Who cares what an actor/actress does off-camera?

Would Datalounge exist if people didn't care what an actor/actress does off-camera?

by Anonymousreply 73April 24, 2021 1:11 AM

It's interesting how different people are treated. I think that what Kathy Griffin did was worse. She suffered some temporary loss of work, but she has bounced back.

by Anonymousreply 74April 24, 2021 1:14 AM

Speaking of dated - Kathy Griffin and her "my gays" shit. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 75April 24, 2021 1:21 AM

They kept the show going after she was shown the door? That's horrible!

by Anonymousreply 76April 24, 2021 1:21 AM

R75 Glad to hear I’m not the only one who finds that annoying.

by Anonymousreply 77April 24, 2021 1:36 AM

I watch The Connors because I want to watch Mark succeed.

He is all of us in shitty little flyover Landford.

by Anonymousreply 78April 24, 2021 3:18 AM

If you want to see what Roseanne is up to now, head over to her YouTube channel. You will regret it. You will also completely understand why she couldn't possibly come back to the show in any way, shape, or form. She is completely lost to the key to the QAnon conspiracy theory.

by Anonymousreply 79April 24, 2021 4:14 AM

That's a shame r79. She was so great, a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 80April 24, 2021 4:59 AM

I know, I know, I am a snob. I never could understand why anyone would want to watch these low class people going about their dreary lives. Plus I always loathed Rosanne. I watched it a few times and gave up.

by Anonymousreply 81April 24, 2021 5:04 AM

R74 Kathy Griffin was never funny though. So there’s that. Roseanne is too damn funny for her own good.

by Anonymousreply 82April 24, 2021 6:33 AM

I remember seeing Roseanne doing stand up on tv in the 80s, before her sitcom. She was hilarious and her comedy was so different. She really stood out, especially among the other female comics of the time who talked about their periods and boyfriends and weren't funny at all.

by Anonymousreply 83April 24, 2021 6:49 AM

[quote] The was ground-breaking and progressive for the 90's, and the jokes are still funny and sarcastic. It's incredible that Sara Gilbert turned out to be such a back-stabbing bitch and stole the show from her. Not a single castmate came to her defense even after Roseanne gave them all careers. Shitty people.

Honey, she literally put the entire show’s cast and crew’s jobs in jeopardy. This had been going on for months. Stop blaming everyone but Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 84April 24, 2021 6:56 AM

R81, if you had watched tv shows of the 80s which were nothing but cutesy family values crap, you’d understand the appeal. Compared to the other shows, Roseanne was more realistic about what was going on at that moment in time.

by Anonymousreply 85April 24, 2021 6:58 AM

[quote] It's interesting how different people are treated. I think that what Kathy Griffin did was worse. She suffered some temporary loss of work, but she has bounced back.

Roseanne attacked gays, blacks, Muslims, and called for the extermination of anyone not Jewish. Sit down. Kathy took a provocative photo, sure but Roseanne dressed as Hitler eating burnt gingerbread cookies coming out of the oven.

by Anonymousreply 86April 24, 2021 7:00 AM

And BTW, Roseanne said that she was going to beat the crap out of Kathy for making Baron Trump cry and piled on her. Roseanne getting fired afterward was karma.

by Anonymousreply 87April 24, 2021 7:01 AM

[quote] Also, everybody and their mother watched the three networks in the 80s because there was nothing else to watch.

We had cable, dear. Roseanne premiered in 1988. Where were you living? lol

by Anonymousreply 88April 24, 2021 7:01 AM

r88 everybody still watched the networks in the late 80s. Cable was around, but they weren't really doing their own shows yet.

by Anonymousreply 89April 24, 2021 7:05 AM

[quote] it's too depressing, and it comes off as if it were written by a bunch of rich people.

No, they’re more representative of today’s younger generation working paycheck to paycheck. America is no longer a blue collar manufacturing country. It’s a very different time. The show is sort of stuck in a time warp. Even blue collar families aren’t living in homes that look like that. Everything is manufactured in China and affordable. The Connors would have shit like IKEA furniture which would make their house look slick. That’s the thing, what we would have equated as looking “rich” back in the day isn’t so anymore. They literally still have a 1970s living room. lol

by Anonymousreply 90April 24, 2021 7:06 AM

R89, I thought of that but Showtime and HBO were producing their own shit by then. Keep in mind that Roseanne was still a hit into and through the mid-90s. There were tons of shows by then.

by Anonymousreply 91April 24, 2021 7:07 AM

HBO and Showtime weren't doing much original series back then, that didn't really get going until the late 90s/early 2000s. The networks still dominated in that time.

by Anonymousreply 92April 24, 2021 7:09 AM

She is looney so are you, She is a racist so snap out of it

by Anonymousreply 93April 24, 2021 7:13 AM

[quote]I know, I know, I am a snob. I never could understand why anyone would want to watch these low class people going about their dreary lives.

Same, R81. Do people watch these sorts of things because their lives are better by one new sofa?

by Anonymousreply 94April 24, 2021 7:18 AM

[quote]It's interesting how different people are treated. I think that what Kathy Griffin did was worse. She suffered some temporary loss of work, but she has bounced back.

She lost ALL of her work for quite a long time and she was being monitored by the secret service after and no she still hasn't, "bounced back" yet. And your favorite President was also evil so kindly fuck off.

Roseanne after her, "Muslim Brotherhood & Planet of the Apes" comment, pissed off every black woman in Hollywood and the President of the network who was also a black woman. Bob Iger contacted Valerie Jarrett directly and apologized because it made everyone look bad. Furthermore, this wasn't the only problem anyone has ever had with Roseanne. She made the last few seasons of her show a living hell people and she was up to no good when she came back too. She was also trouble even before they rebooted the show.

To top it all off, long after she was gone, she admitted she was being insensitive and she shouldn't have said it.

by Anonymousreply 95April 24, 2021 7:19 AM

R86 .... Did she really dress as Hitler eating burnt gingerbread men? That is fucking atrocious. I do admit i dont know enough about her recent comments. I guess the original show will just always have a place in my journey. I was living in a pretty crazy and unstable family unit. The Conners family gave me something i needed at the time. Now their family is just an empty, disconnected bunch of irritating dweebs. Why can't we just leave the good shows where they were and protect their positive impact on the world, however small it is.

by Anonymousreply 96April 24, 2021 8:11 AM

OP, how dare you "miss" a non-Democrat! This is LITERAL VIOLENCE and I won't stand for this hate speech! FF!

by Anonymousreply 97April 24, 2021 8:15 AM

All MAGA idiots should be cancelled and ignored. Roseanne is dead to me. Just like r97

by Anonymousreply 98April 24, 2021 10:13 AM

The younger generations can’t handle brutal comedy.

by Anonymousreply 99April 24, 2021 10:41 AM

Spot on R99 Who would be their closest thing to a Roseanne type? I'm sure I'm not a fan of their feminine issue laden jokes.

by Anonymousreply 100April 24, 2021 11:19 AM

I used to watch the show when it first came on. It had funny moments but I always got a mentally off, nasty vibe from Roseanne. She's very seriously mentally ill and I'm not sure why her kids don't do something to intervene.

by Anonymousreply 101April 24, 2021 3:03 PM

[quote] All MAGA idiots should be cancelled and ignored. Roseanne is dead to me. Just like [R97]

R98, I know I shouldn't lower myself to even respond to an idiot like you but I've got a few spare minutes this morning. Just a few!

FYI, I've never voted for or even considered voting for DJT in my life! If you had even an ounce of intelligence and were a TRUE LEFTIST like myself, you'd realize that all this Cancelling/Censorship shit is undemocratic & will not end well for you or anyone else! It's all fun & games when it's Roseanne (or whoever else you don't like) having their lives ruined for having dared challenging The DNC/Establishment. But there's going to come a time when it's YOU, Me and other average Americans being dragged through the streets for simply speaking Truth to Power and having a differing opinion!

This Cancel Culture shit smacks of Berlin just prior to The Nazis taking over and I'll call it out every time I damn well please!

by Anonymousreply 102April 24, 2021 3:42 PM

But is she Roseanne Roseanne, [R5]?

by Anonymousreply 103April 24, 2021 3:43 PM

I prefer Roseanne Roseannadanna.

by Anonymousreply 104April 24, 2021 3:46 PM

I miss the presence of David (Johnny Galecki) in the Conners.

by Anonymousreply 105April 24, 2021 9:46 PM

[quote]She gave all those unfortunate-looking people careers and wealth. They should have been a little bit supportive of her, or at least not so harsh.

WTF are you talking about?, Laurie Metcalf , Estelle Parsons, Ned Beatty and John Goodman all had careers before Roseanne's series. Most of the children on the series were already acting.

Estelle Parsons has been nominated and won many prestigious awards! Estello won an Oscar in 1967 for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of Blanche Barrow in 'Bonnie and Clyde'.

So many DL posters are fucking clueless. they usually make no attempt to research before posting their bullshit and misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 106April 25, 2021 2:07 PM

Anyone who followed her on Twitter knows that she is a crazy, thoroughly unpleasant, never funny-anymore cunt.

by Anonymousreply 107April 25, 2021 2:09 PM

They should have killed off David and not Mark.

Becky needs a Mark.

by Anonymousreply 108April 25, 2021 2:29 PM

r106 Goodman and Metcalf's careers were made with Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 109April 25, 2021 2:59 PM

R109, Laurie was already a working actress before she joined the cast of "Roseanne', you make it sound as if Roseanne discovered these performers. I wasn't talking abut their careers becoming more high profile via a sitcom. Do your damn research.

Most of the cast were NOT unknowns, stop arguing with me. Laurie was part of the revered Steppenwolf acting troupe.

"Metcalf attended Illinois State University and earned her Bachelor of Arts in Theater in 1976. While at ISU, she met fellow theater students, among them John Malkovich, Glenne Headly, Joan Allen, Terry Kinney, and Jeff Perry, the latter two of whom, along with Perry's high school classmate Gary Sinise, went on to establish Chicago's famed Steppenwolf Theatre Company.

Metcalf began her professional career at Steppenwolf, of which she was a charter member. Metcalf went to New York to appear in an Off-Broadway Steppenwolf production of Balm in Gilead at Circle Repertory in 1984 for which she received the 1984 Obie Award for Best Actress and a 1984–85 Theatre World Award (for best debut in a Broadway or Off-Broadway performance). Metcalf was praised for her performance as Darlene, and was specifically singled out for her 20-minute act two monologue. Chicago critic Richard Christiansen stated:"

Most success in show business is about being in the right place at the right time. Lots of extremely talented people never become rich and famous. Laurie, by being on this sitcom, became famous to a much broader audience, but she sure wasn't an unknown.

by Anonymousreply 110April 25, 2021 3:16 PM

R106 Ok then - WEALTH. And forget Estelle Parsons et al, I'm talking about the regulars.

by Anonymousreply 111April 25, 2021 3:20 PM

R110 Pretty sure no one would know most of these people without the show. Roseanne didnt make them good actors but she gave them a solid home to work from. And then they killed her off and kept it going. If they had somewhere else to be with their great talents and skills, they wouldnt be drawing out this show.

by Anonymousreply 112April 25, 2021 3:21 PM

Metcalf is fucking brilliant though and would have always made it i think.

by Anonymousreply 113April 25, 2021 3:24 PM

R112 Correct, Metcalf and Goodman are talented, and thanks to Roseanne they can pick and choose their projects. Pretty sweet. I think it's fair to wonder where Gilbert's career would have gone without the show.

by Anonymousreply 114April 25, 2021 3:25 PM

Gilbert would have made a great monotoned puppet on sesame street.

by Anonymousreply 115April 25, 2021 3:32 PM

[quote] They should have killed off David and not Mark.

Glenn Quinn, the actor who played Mark, died in real life.

by Anonymousreply 116April 25, 2021 4:09 PM

Ohhh shit R116 i didnt know that.

by Anonymousreply 117April 25, 2021 4:15 PM

Johnny Galecki is likely the richest performer from this show, many here forget he went on to "The Big Bang Theory", where most of the performers made ridiculous money. $1 million per episode.

"The core cast of five — Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco, Kunal Nayyar, and Simon Helberg — all banded together to negotiate equal salaries in 2015 and began earning $1 million per episode."

"Kaley Cuoco and the main four men of this cast were making about $1 million per episode in the past few seasons of the show. However, for the final season, each of them took $100,000 pay cut per episode so Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch could have higher earnings."

by Anonymousreply 118April 25, 2021 4:26 PM

[quote] Laurie was already a working actress before she joined the cast of "Roseanne', you make it sound as if Roseanne discovered these performers. I wasn't talking abut their careers becoming more high profile via a sitcom. Do your damn research.

Roseanne was the big break Metcalf and Goodman needed. They were obscure jobbing actors before. It made their careers.

by Anonymousreply 119April 25, 2021 4:42 PM

r116, so they can recast Becky but not Mark?

My statement stands, they should have (or for people who do not speak English: should of) killed off the David character and not the Mark character.

by Anonymousreply 120April 26, 2021 12:19 AM

Lately I’ve grown to sincerely like “should of.” It’s endearing to me.

by Anonymousreply 121April 26, 2021 12:23 AM

I should of thought if they casted a new Mark it wouldn't do too much for the show.

by Anonymousreply 122April 26, 2021 1:29 AM

People honestly make way too much of the Roseanne cookie picture. First of all, it was done for a Jewish satire magazine called Heeb.

Other than that, Roseanne has descended into Q lunacy. She's completely lost. I have aunts who have gone in the same direction.

by Anonymousreply 123April 27, 2021 6:07 AM

How would they have casted a new Mark? How would they explain how he looks different all of a sudden? That he got plastic surgery? That would be so out of character, plus they couldn’t afford that.

by Anonymousreply 124April 27, 2021 6:12 AM

If Dan can come back from the dead, all is possible.

by Anonymousreply 125April 27, 2021 6:23 AM

Yeah, right! R125 they made so many bad choices and are just trying to make money of nostalgia or some shit. R123 It's the first i have heard of the cookie thing. I am OP and i really hadnt watched any of her resent uploads. She really is a worry. Where the fuck are her 5 kids? I mean, she doesnt seem the type to listen to anyone anyway but i just hope she has their support. It sounds like they are trying

by Anonymousreply 126April 27, 2021 8:20 AM

During the original run of the show, Roseanne was a troublemaker. She married Tom Arnold and basically brought him in as an equal partner in everything. She was snorting the nose candy pretty regularly. Everyone knew that Roseanne was volatile.

by Anonymousreply 127April 27, 2021 1:36 PM

R127 Exactly, she’s always been weird and controversial. It’s part of her I guess you could say charm. At least she’s unpredictable, which almost no celebrity is anymore.

by Anonymousreply 128April 27, 2021 1:39 PM

It must sting to have a character you created taken away from you. Roseanne was basically the character she created for her comedy act. I'm sure now, she can no longer use the character in any future work she does.

I'm surprised Rosie O'Donnell hasn't been cancelled from this bit done years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129April 27, 2021 1:54 PM

r110...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130April 27, 2021 2:25 PM

They recast Becky during the show's original run - I don't see why they couldn't recast Mark!

by Anonymousreply 131April 27, 2021 2:39 PM

[quote]They recast Becky during the show's original run - I don't see why they couldn't recast Mark!

Because the actress who played Becky chose to leave the show to go to college. The actor who played Mark died of a heroin overdose. Everyone at the time of his death knew it was an overdose, so the producers probably wisely chose to try and forget that.

by Anonymousreply 132April 27, 2021 3:02 PM

So you do not know what recast means...?

Glee could do it without hesitation for TWO major characters.

by Anonymousreply 133April 27, 2021 3:15 PM

I wasn’t sure if Roseanne was seriously off her rocker, or just reacting to no longer being a Hollywood elite. I think post-Roseanne, not many people wanted to work with her. But then I saw a chat she had with Scott Baio on her YouTube channel, and even he seemed uncomfortable by some of the stuff she was saying. Which says a lot when you know Baio is a Q-loon too. She’s just entirely whacko cuckoo. She was a huge liability to ABC, and I’d imagine in complete denial about her mental health. Or she’s just willfully become a complete asshole in her old age. Either way, she had to go. She did it to herself. I miss the old Roseanne, but I don’t like what she’s become. The old Roseanne also would have never been a deplorable Trumper, either in character or real life. I enjoy The Conners without her.

by Anonymousreply 134April 27, 2021 3:32 PM

They should have hired Sarah Chalke to play Mark. It would have been a nostalgic nod to the past. The show is already pretty woke, so the audience shouldn't have any problem with a cis female playing a cis male character.

by Anonymousreply 135April 27, 2021 3:41 PM

Wasn't a whole season completely forgotten, when the Conners won the lottery? Dan died, then came back. So much in their scripts was backtracked or forgotten completely.

I still cannot understand why Dan, who is not without talents, never fixed up their home. They have the same crap kitchen, how about some nice fresh paint? Don't tell me, after all these years, they still have the same fridge?! I'm on my third fridge in 25 years!

Honestly, it wouldn't take a lot of money to make that hovel look livable. Don't get me started on that disgusting sofa, I can smell it though the screen! 🤢 🤮

by Anonymousreply 136April 27, 2021 4:08 PM

Roseanne should just come back with an episode about a weird ass dream she had, that she posted something on Twitter and got canceled. The flashback would be quite entertaining, Roseanne watches in horror as her tweet goes viral and the family freaks out. It could be an interesting commentary on Twitter mob justice.

by Anonymousreply 137April 27, 2021 4:23 PM

R137 I don't understand what the point of that episode would be? Where is Darlene the center of story, where is Darlene the one who makes everything better in that story, how would Darlene become the voice of reason in that episode.

Epic fail and not an outline we would consider for the new and fabulous Darlene Show.

by Anonymousreply 138April 27, 2021 4:48 PM

Part of Roseanne's problem also was that she always wanted the Connors to fail. The loose meat restaurant was a good idea and she really should have stuck with that to close the show with. It wouldn't have made them rich, nor lead to that last lottery winning season, but the audience could have had closure that finally the Connors found a way to make it in the world. But Roseanne was a disruptor and couldn't even allow the restaurant to be successful.

by Anonymousreply 139April 27, 2021 5:01 PM

What is a "loose meat" restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 140April 27, 2021 5:03 PM

I love how deplorables complain about rich Hollywood elites when it suits them and then they go around feeling sorry for this rich old fat bitch and her multimillions.

by Anonymousreply 141April 27, 2021 5:06 PM

[quote]What is a "loose meat" restaurant?

A restaurant where all the waiters go commando.

by Anonymousreply 142April 27, 2021 5:07 PM

[quote]What is a "loose meat" restaurant?

Didn't you watch the original show? Their restaurant's specialty was a loose meat sandwich, sort of like a barbeque sandwich or sloppy joe sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 143April 27, 2021 5:13 PM

Do Roseanne and Sharon Osbourne know each other? Have those two outspoken ladies commiserated about getting the "racist" boot and Sara Gilbert?

by Anonymousreply 144April 28, 2021 2:48 AM

[quote]Do Roseanne and Sharon Osbourne know each other?

They’re appearing together this Summer at the Burt Reynolds Dinner Theatre in the play “Legends.” Wigs will be snatched.

by Anonymousreply 145April 28, 2021 2:55 AM

I thought they were doing the female version of The Odd Couple, but that might be Whoopi Goldberg and Norah O'Donnell.

by Anonymousreply 146April 28, 2021 6:09 PM

Roseanne and Sharon were going to do a production of Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, but they couldn’t agree on who would be Bette Davis and who would be Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 147April 28, 2021 6:44 PM

Oh Roseanne as Bette for sure. Sharon would want to be the “classy” one. I can easily hear Rosanne singing “I’ve written a letter to daddy” and it sounds much like her famed rendition of the National Anthem (remember what a scandal THAT was?)

by Anonymousreply 148April 28, 2021 6:48 PM

R138 She has as much charisma as a dry, crusty, beige sock. Why does she make me want to slap her? The whole show has a tone that i cant stand. Like a dog whistle to me.

by Anonymousreply 149April 28, 2021 8:01 PM

True R149 except that now and then you need a sock.

by Anonymousreply 150April 28, 2021 10:47 PM

R150 OHH fuck that made me laugh so suddenly i chocked on my breakfast...

by Anonymousreply 151April 28, 2021 10:52 PM

Sarah Chalke is way to cool for The Conners plus darlene would have been so easily upstaged.

by Anonymousreply 152April 28, 2021 11:11 PM

Right, the Roxanne Conway show!

by Anonymousreply 153April 29, 2021 12:29 AM

Some interesting Roseanne backstories. The linked story contains a link to further stories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154April 29, 2021 12:38 AM

A few years ago I was at a party and chatted with a guy who had been on the crew of her original show. He said she could be temperamental but overall spoke warmly of her.

by Anonymousreply 155April 29, 2021 12:42 AM

She posted a throwback photo today. She looks very cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 3, 2021 9:28 PM

r156 that's the first photo I've ever seen of Roseanne where she actually looked attractive.

by Anonymousreply 157May 3, 2021 10:49 PM

I missed Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 158May 3, 2021 11:03 PM

Why does that youthful photo of Roseanne say "FaceApp", did she alter that photo?

When was she ever that slim?

When she entered showbiz, wasn't she obese with her original chipmunk cheek face?

by Anonymousreply 159May 3, 2021 11:28 PM

She was at least 300 pounds when she was doing standup in the early '80s.

by Anonymousreply 160May 3, 2021 11:30 PM

She lost a ton of weight before she was famous, but gained it back pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 161May 3, 2021 11:40 PM

Rosanne is one of those weird people who had a ton of plastic surgery, and looked way better because of it.

by Anonymousreply 162May 4, 2021 1:40 AM

Yeah, I must admit It seems the old pic is altered. It was plausible, though. She’s not a bad-looking woman.

by Anonymousreply 163May 4, 2021 3:34 AM

I'm sort of fascinated by why she referenced Planet of the Apes in her original speech and said she was talking about anti-Semitism. As a Planet of the Apes fan I never noticed that it was about anti-Semitism.

I'd like to hear her explain her reasoning.

by Anonymousreply 164May 4, 2021 3:49 AM

R164 You are joking right?

by Anonymousreply 165May 4, 2021 3:51 AM

No r165. She said Planet of the Apes is about anti-Semitism. Granted she was trying to cover for the initial tweet which was probably racially motivated. But I'm curious how her mind made it about anti Semitism.

by Anonymousreply 166May 4, 2021 4:30 AM

Uhh i can't believe she said that. Well i am confused too. She is just trying to cover up her comment because no one laughed with her this time.

by Anonymousreply 167May 4, 2021 2:13 PM

Roseanne just needs to go away, but like Dump, these attention whores simply cannot keep away from the limelight. They need attention, mostly from anonymous people.

As Oscar Wilde said: "There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

This applies to so many unhinged public figures. Even years after their success and massive wealth, they still need to be in the public eye. Once they lose that non-stop attention, they get even worse. Roseanne and her 'god' Dump, won't stop until they both drop dead.

Sad for Roseanne, as she actually had talent, Dump, he's always been a useless carnival barker.

by Anonymousreply 168May 4, 2021 6:57 PM

[quote]This applies to so many unhinged public figures. Even years after their success and massive wealth, they still need to be in the public eye.

Oh hi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169May 4, 2021 7:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170May 4, 2021 7:23 PM

Why bother when you have ME ME ME ME?

by Anonymousreply 171May 4, 2021 9:12 PM

R171 Yeah thanks for your contribution to the arts Sara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172May 6, 2021 11:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!