Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Babs in Funny Girl

I watched Funny Girl again yesterday and loved Babs in the role, of course.

She does many of the same antics in all her movies, but they seemed fresh the first time they were captured on film.

My main question is why did Hollywood allow Babs to play her Bway role on film but blocked Julie Andrews in My Fair Lady and Carol Channing in Hello, Dolly!, among other examples?

by Anonymousreply 553May 3, 2021 10:35 PM

Julie Andrews was unknown to the international movie audience and the film was so expensive it needed to be a hit everywhere. Audrey Hepburn was an international star. Walt Disney was the star of his films so he wasn't as concerned.

Channing did not get to recreate her role because Hello Dolly is not kabuki in Todd AO.

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2021 4:44 PM

Because even though Shirley MacLaine was being considered, ultimately no one could do it like Babs. And they haven't been able to remount the musical since, for the same reason. Babs' stamp was indelible.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2021 4:44 PM

The thing is before the movie the play was still a hit without Babs. It was a strong enough property just because of the great score.

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2021 4:54 PM

It was Babs who could actually sing the score. It wasn't a hit without her. It was a hit because of her.

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2021 4:56 PM

Julie was lacking in that certain star quality for the big screen, that was needed for an expensive property like "My Fair Lady". She lacked sex appeal and came across as more prim and proper, like a school teacher.

She could sing the role and knock it out of the park and on-stage, easily delivered the goods. However, in a close-up, for instance attending the Embassy Ball, she was rather average.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2021 5:06 PM

"She lacked sex appeal and came across as more prim and proper, like a school teacher."

I doubt she did on the stage, where she played the role for years.

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2021 5:10 PM

It's Barbra's best role.

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2021 5:12 PM

R4 it continued as a hit without her.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2021 5:15 PM

[quote]Julie was lacking in that certain star quality for the big screen, that was needed for an expensive property like "My Fair Lady".

The movie is an overblown mess.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2021 5:16 PM

R8, it started as a hit with her. And was a hit movie because of her.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2021 5:18 PM

r6 As I noted above: "She could sing the role and knock it out of the park and on-stage, easily delivered the goods."

It was the same situation with "Camelot". On stage she was very, very good. However, she lacked sex appeal and in film close-ups, the role required someone more sensual and earthy who could almost bring down a kingdom. It would not have worked.

Julie, for all her talent, does not have sex appeal. She and Newman in "Torn Curtain" didn't spark at all. She and Omar in "The Tamarind Seed" were embarrassing. She and James Fox in "Modern Millie" seemed like a nice brother and sister.

Even in what I consider her finest film ("Victor Victoria") and a performance for which she should have won an Oscar, she and James Garner don't sizzle. She has much more chemistry with Robert Preston.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2021 5:18 PM

My Fair Lady is an uneven film but still a magnificent beauty. Gorgeously filmed and designed its high points sustain it.

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2021 5:20 PM

Barbra didn’t jump from stage to screen in FG. In between she became a recording artist and made a lot of tv appearances. Plus she was constantly in the press because people were fascinated by her. The screen version of Funny Girl was a natural next step.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2021 5:21 PM

"The thing is before the movie the play was still a hit without Babs. It was a strong enough property just because of the great score."

Mimi extended the run, but no one followed her, r3. It was no longer as big of a hit as it was with Barbra. Look how many Dollys there were during its run. Barbra made the property seem stronger than it was.

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2021 5:21 PM

I disagree, r11. I'd argue that she and Garner had plenty of chemistry (Americanization of Emily). Imagine Darling Lili with him instead of Rock.

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2021 5:26 PM

No one said otherwise, R13.

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2021 5:27 PM

Imagine Darling Lili with a better director not trying to exploit the star but utilize her greatest assets.

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2021 5:29 PM

She was a recording artist and did TV appearances before Funny Girl, r13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2021 5:31 PM

Duh. She also appeared on Broadway in I Can Get It For You Wholesale, and got a Tony nomination.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2021 5:34 PM

Didn't she have an affair with Omar during the filming? I think he was completely wrong in this film (and in Doctor Zhivago). He couldn't act and his accent was too strong. He was OK in Lawrence of Arabia. In Doctor Zhivago he didn't look either Russian or Tatar he looked Egyptian. He stood out throughout the film and ruined it for me.

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2021 5:38 PM

Yes, I believe she did have an affair with Sharif--and with Sydney Chaplin when they both did FG on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2021 5:41 PM

She also had an affair with Ryan. Did you secretly have one with Redford, I think she had been warmed off by his wife, but I can't imagine she could stop herself.

by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2021 5:54 PM

Barbra was kind of a skank, no offense.

by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2021 5:54 PM

I want to see Babs as Baby Snooks.

by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2021 5:58 PM

Julie gave it back to Jack Warner in a very public way. The reactiom in the audience shows how unusal it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2021 6:01 PM

Barbra also had a one nighter with George Segal while they were filming "The Owl and the Pussycat", slept with Yves Montand and hit on Michael Crawford during the making of "Dolly" only to be rejected because he was more interested in a male's member of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2021 6:03 PM

Audrey was so elegant beautiful but I wish Julie would have got the part, it was perfect for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2021 6:04 PM

Why, R23--because she got some grade-A dick? As if YOU would turn it down! LMFAO!

As for R26, I never heard all that.

by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2021 6:05 PM

[quote]She lacked sex appeal and came across as more prim and proper, like a school teacher.

The same could be said of Wendy Hiller, but most everyone always goes on about how she was the ideal 'Eliza Doolittle.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2021 6:07 PM

I like Barbra enough, but Funny Girl is pretty painful.

It's just a lousy show, imo.

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2021 6:07 PM

[quote]It's just a lousy show, imo.

The book is lousy, but the score is great.

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2021 6:09 PM

After "Funny Girl", Babs wasn't just any other actress, she was a huge Oscar winning star.

As I remember it, the only other actress seriously considered for the role of Dolly was Elizabeth Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2021 6:10 PM

Harrison was attractive early on his career, but by the time he made the movie his Higgins was completely lacking sex appeal, unlike Leslie Howard in "Pygmalion".

by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2021 6:13 PM

From imdb: "Elizabeth Taylor was considered for the role of Dolly, but she couldn't sing. Doris Day, Debbie Reynolds, Carol Burnett, and Shirley MacLaine (who played Irene Molloy in the The Matchmaker (1958)) were all briefly considered. Despite her Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress in Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967), Carol Channing was never considered for the role because it was felt that she could not carry a film of this stature. Channing's co-star, Julie Andrews, turned down the role of Dolly."

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2021 6:13 PM

I know everyone says the Funny Girl book is terrible, but the movie script isn't bad. Were there many changes from Bway?

by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2021 6:21 PM

When did Hollywood realize that Barbra pretty much plays the same role for every movie? Her schtick is fun but repetitive

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2021 6:22 PM

I still get goosebumps watching her sing My Man at the end. I remember seeing it in the theater and how powerful her performance was - it was like she walked off the screen onto the stage. In those days you couldn't watch a movie over and over again in the theater. You only got to see it once or twice (if you were lucky). In those days you would listen to the soundtrack on record over and over again after seeing the film. I also remember seeing Funny Girl again years later at the Castro Theater - what an experience that was! Now I can watch it in 4K high definition with awesome sound anytime I want....

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2021 6:22 PM

[quote]Harrison was attractive early on his career, but by the time he made the movie his Higgins was completely lacking sex appeal,

In the MFL movie he comes off rather queeny. My father, who stopped and watched a bit as he was walking through the living room, thought he was supposed to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2021 6:25 PM

R38, he's not gay; He's British!

by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2021 6:26 PM

During "Dolly" Gene Kelly was grooming Michael Crawford to be the next Gene Kelly. They planned to work together on a big budget screen version of "Tom Swift" but it fell through.

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2021 6:30 PM

Michael Crawford.... gay? But, he's married.

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2021 6:31 PM

Crawford was too gaggly to be a leading man

by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2021 6:32 PM

[quote]In the MFL movie he comes off rather queeny.

Not as queeny as he does in this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 21, 2021 6:32 PM

r41 He was bi. Joyce Haber alluded to his sexuality in her column during the film's making, on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2021 6:33 PM

Yea, Crawford always looked like a cocksucker to me.

by Anonymousreply 45April 21, 2021 6:40 PM

R43 LOL! That's an actual movie poster and tagline?

by Anonymousreply 46April 21, 2021 6:43 PM

r46 Staircase is a 1969 film adaptation of a two-character play, also called Staircase, by Charles Dyer.

The film, like the play, is about an ageing gay couple who own a barber shop in the East End of London. They discuss their loving but often volatile past together and ponder their possible future without each other, as Charles is about to go on trial for dressing as a woman in public.

The two main characters are named Charles Dyer (the name of the playwright/screenwriter) and Harry C. Leeds, which is an anagram of his name.

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2021 6:49 PM

[quote]When did Hollywood realize that Barbra pretty much plays the same role for every movie? Her schtick is fun but repetitive

That was not a negative thing during the era of genuine movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2021 6:51 PM

'The film itself is rotten, but so was the Broadway show. The songs are mediocre, the book worse. William Wyler has done his creakiest work here. The whole feeble enterprise needs to be carried and Miss Streisand is well able to carry it -Stanley Kauffmann (November 9, 1968)

Could never make it through this film though I tried twice and Streisand was very good. It was a box office smash and an undeserving (IMHO) Best Picture nominee. The part calls for a homely girl which is why Streisand an unknown was cast in the Broadway lead where she was the toast of the town and she appeared in several successful television specials so she was well-known by the time the film version was made. I prefer Hello Dolly!

by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2021 6:51 PM

I can understand not using Channing in DOLLY, but to not cast Merman in GYPSY was a travesty.

For those who think her charms don't translate well to film, check out CALL ME MADAM. She's wonderful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2021 6:51 PM

R25 Julie looked beautiful in that clip. She and Princess Diana have a very similar charm. Jack Warner must have been fuming.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2021 6:56 PM

r50 I couldn't agree more. The first stage musical I saw as a grade school child was "Gypsy" with Ethel, when it came to Boston on tour. It was my Christmas gift from my parents and they told me in advance, "You are going to witness something legendary that will stay with you forever..." And it did.

To not have captured that true magic on the screen is one of the biggest errors in the history of sound films.

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2021 6:56 PM

OP: Others, although not everyone, can play the roles of Eliza Doolittle and Dolly Levi, but no one can play Fanny Brice but Barbra.

Streisand forever made her mark on Broadway and in film with an outstanding performance in Funny Girl. She was perfect for the part in every way. Both productions were superb as was she.

by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2021 6:57 PM

[quote]'The film itself is rotten, but so was the Broadway show. The songs are mediocre, the book worse. William Wyler has done his creakiest work here. The whole feeble enterprise needs to be carried and Miss Streisand is well able to carry it -Stanley Kauffmann (November 9, 1968)

By the late 1960s there was a lot of snobbery among critics over popular entertainment for the masses especially musicals like Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2021 6:58 PM

Danny Lockin who played little Barnaby was tragically murdered during a gay hook-up in 1977 when he was only 34. He was a remarkable dancer who had been in Gypsy and West Side Story on Broadway. His killer - who stabbed him more than 100 times - only got four years in prison.

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2021 7:03 PM

[quote]Gorgeously filmed and designed its high points sustain it.

That's part of the problem with MFL. Too many gauzy shots, too much lingering on Audrey Hepburn's face (which is gorgeous), flowers, flowers, flowers. Cukor at his worst.

by Anonymousreply 56April 21, 2021 7:04 PM

[quote]flowers, flowers, flowers.

LOL! I've always thought that the overture/opening credits were rather unimaginative. It's also weird how the credits start in the middle of the overture.

by Anonymousreply 57April 21, 2021 7:10 PM

r57 That decision was made by Andre Previn for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 58April 21, 2021 7:12 PM

One reason why Streisand got to make the movie of Funny Girl is because Ray Stark (the producer of the Broadway show and the movie...and also Fanny Brice's son-in-law) recognized that Babs was a major talent. He made it a condition that she sign a five-picture deal with him if she wanted to be in the movie of Funny Girl. Babs was too nervous to lose the role, so she told her manager to accept the deal. She groused about it for decades after that, although two of her other movies with Stark were arguably among her best: The Way We Were and The Owl and the Pussycat. Not so much For Pete's Sake and Funny Lady, though. Although Funny Lady has its moments, and Michael Sarrazin is cute playing her husband in For Pete's Sake. I haven't seen the latter in decades. I wonder if it's as bad as I remember.

by Anonymousreply 59April 21, 2021 7:14 PM

R59 It's terrible, like a bad 70s TV show. I saw it for the first time not long ago, and could't believe it.

by Anonymousreply 60April 21, 2021 7:16 PM

In my opinion, the biggest sin in movie musical miscasting was not letting Ethel Merman star in the movie of Gypsy. It was written for her voice, and she did (sort of) curb her tendency to play to the second balcony in the movie of Call Me Madam. With a good director (which the movie of Gypsy decidedly did not have), Merman could have been great. Lesser movie miscasting sins: not casting Angela Lansbury in Mame, Carol Channing in Hello, Dolly! and Julie Andrews in My Fair Lady.

by Anonymousreply 61April 21, 2021 7:20 PM

and Doris Day in "South Pacific" although she did not originate the role on the stage.

by Anonymousreply 62April 21, 2021 7:23 PM

She was okay.

by Anonymousreply 63April 21, 2021 7:24 PM

Barnaby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 21, 2021 7:25 PM

[quote]In my opinion, the biggest sin in movie musical miscasting was not letting Ethel Merman star in the movie of Gypsy.

Except she looked like Ernest Borgnine in drag.

by Anonymousreply 65April 21, 2021 7:27 PM

The opening credits of My Fair Lady is one of the best. Up there with North by Northwest and Days of Heaven. Glorious. Gorgeous Beaton photos making one bloom after the other with Previn's wonderful conducting. And they start in the middle because Previn wanted to use the entire overture. So the first half is used as a prelude. Beautifully done.

by Anonymousreply 66April 21, 2021 7:38 PM

Any footage out there of Babs as Snooks?

by Anonymousreply 67April 21, 2021 7:44 PM

That episode of "The Gong Show" at R64 was taped on Danny Lockin's last day alive. After taping the episode, Lockin stopped at a gay bar and ended up going home with the man who murdered him.

by Anonymousreply 68April 21, 2021 7:49 PM

Babs put out for producer Ray Stark, who also had been Brice's son-in-law. KINKY. Both Brice and Babs famously liked to control things with a reverse cowgirl, plus that way the man on bottom didn't have to look at their faces.

For "My Fair Lady," Jack Warner had no interest in Andrews and found Hepburn too brittle looking. Plus his wife was keeping a stricter eye on him by then. But Audrey located a little English muscle boy who resembled her in the face, dressed him in Cockney-gamine fashion, and dropped him off at Cukor's front door. The "reveal" delighted Cukor so much that he insisted Hepburn was the only choice for the role. She kept him in supply for the duration of filming. Cukor was a blow jobber and had a preference for quick shooters because by then his obesity left his neck and back hurting, and as everyone knows the British cum in about 30 seconds (or not at all).

The only actresses who got leading roles in such productions after the studios collapsed were the ones who put out and who the producers and top-men WANTED to have put out. That's why Channing, Merman, Martin and other theatre ladies never really got there. And why people like Marilyn did. The exception was Disney, who never fucked his help but was turned on by Andrews' coldness, aloofness, unsexiness and faintly lesbian scent. He didn't fuck but he liked B&D fantasy.

Glad to help.

by Anonymousreply 69April 21, 2021 8:07 PM

OP, you had to be there. Streisand was a mega star in the 1960s - stage, records, TV - all at once. She was one of the biggest of all time IN HER 20s, the best time of her career imho. You simply cannot compare Streisand getting the Funny Girl movie to Julie Andrews not getting the My Fair Lady movie. I copied this from another thread to explain to those who don't understand:

"In the 1960s (Streisand) sang like no one else, she talked like no one else, she looked like no one else. Singers wanted to sing in her style; pages and pages were written about her style (singing and personality), critics fell over themselves with over-praise of her talents. The only way I can describe it to you youngsters is that Streisand was a BIG thing, yes, just like the Beatles were a big thing beyond the music. She broke all the rules and created her own. It was a breath of much needed fresh air in show business and adult pop music. Dionne Warwick and the like were not on the same planet. This changed rapidly when Streisand moved on and made her movie debut, but you get the picture. It was pretty incredible."

I haven't been a Streisand fan for forty years, but the above was the 1960s. She got her movie role.

by Anonymousreply 70April 21, 2021 8:07 PM

[quote] Julie was lacking in that certain star quality for the big screen, that was needed for an expensive property like "My Fair Lady". She lacked sex appeal and came across as more prim and proper, like a school teacher.

I don't think Audrey Hepburn was exactly swimming in sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 71April 21, 2021 8:11 PM

[quote]She also had an affair with Ryan. Did you secretly have one with Redford, I think she had been warmed off by his wife, but I can't imagine she could stop herself.

Ha, ha, Redford, NO. Not that Streisand didn't try. And for all the "I loved working with her/him" crap today, they didn't particularly get along during the filming of The Way We Were. At the time, Redford would not rehearse, insisting that rehearsals kill the spontaneity. Streisand was a rehearsal nut. Redford had the same rehearsal issues acting with Paul Newman, Dustin Hoffman and others. In this case, it was producer Ray Stark and writer Arthur Laurents (Streisand's team) vs director Sydney Pollack (Redford's). Redford's won, and it was Pollack who cut the political stuff off the ending. Ten-fifteen minutes cut, which explained why the two really broke up. They could have re-shot a three minute scene that explained it, but no...

Ryan O'Neal, right off Love Story, GOT the role in What's up Doc because he was dating Streisand. It wasn't a "co-stars having an affair" thing because it happened before the movie started. She was one of a few girlfriends Ryan had at the time.

by Anonymousreply 72April 21, 2021 8:25 PM

Correct, R71. But even Audrey Hepburn had more sex appeal than Julie Andrews. And Audrey was a movie star, Julie had never been tested on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 73April 21, 2021 8:28 PM

Did her My Fair Lady character really have to be sexy?

by Anonymousreply 74April 21, 2021 8:54 PM

The problem with Babs in Funny Girl isn’t particularly ugly. The whole premise of the show is she did everything because she was ugly.

by Anonymousreply 75April 21, 2021 8:56 PM

R75, several of the self-deprecating ugly lines were created for the film and were not in the stage show. That's because Hollywood was scared shitless that Streisand's ethnicity would turn people off, especially since she was not apologetic about it.

by Anonymousreply 76April 21, 2021 9:09 PM

Funny Girl is about the emergence of Barbra Streisand. There’s a reason it hasn’t been revived. And Barbra never even tried to do an impression of Fanny Brice.

by Anonymousreply 77April 21, 2021 9:33 PM

[quote]"In the 1960s (Streisand) sang like no one else, she talked like no one else, she looked like no one else. Singers wanted to sing in her style; pages and pages were written about her style (singing and personality), critics fell over themselves with over-praise of her talents. The only way I can describe it to you youngsters is that Streisand was a BIG thing, yes, just like the Beatles were a big thing beyond the music. She broke all the rules and created her own. It was a breath of much needed fresh air in show business and adult pop music. Dionne Warwick and the like were not on the same planet. This changed rapidly when Streisand moved on and made her movie debut, but you get the picture. It was pretty incredible."

All true. Whoever wrote that got it right.

You really can't quite understand the impact of Barbra or the Beatles if you weren't there.

by Anonymousreply 78April 21, 2021 9:36 PM

[quote] Funny Girl is about the emergence of Barbra Streisand.

Not when it was written, since they wanted Carol Burnett for the role originally, and cast Streisand only when Burnett turned them down.

by Anonymousreply 79April 21, 2021 9:38 PM

Without a real musical star, and I don't mean Carol Burnett, an accurate musical about Fanny Brice wouldn't have lasted a month on Broadway. That it turned into a vehicle to launch a star like Streisand is what made it what it was.

[quote]You really can't quite understand the impact of Barbra or the Beatles if you weren't there.

That's usually true. But The Beatles died in 1970, and have been marketed to death since that time - re-releases of the music, never released music, re-mixed music, books, movies, documentaries. We didn't get to see the Beatles age into an oldies group, or into a pathetic bunch of elders who could barely play anymore.

On the other hand, Miss Streisand goes on forever. If she had died tragically in the early 1970s, she's be much more of a respected vocalist and movie actress today because only her good work would exist, only her cute 20s Barbra looks would be seen.

by Anonymousreply 80April 21, 2021 9:50 PM

[quote]We didn't get to see the Beatles age into an oldies group, or into a pathetic bunch of elders who could barely play anymore.

McCartney and Ringo Starr are still alive and pushing 80.

by Anonymousreply 81April 21, 2021 10:07 PM

R81, McCartney and Ringo Starr are not THE BEATLES.

by Anonymousreply 82April 21, 2021 10:11 PM

R59 Nevertheless, FUNNY LADY was a huge hit (#7 of 1975). I'm sure Babs was happy about that.

by Anonymousreply 83April 21, 2021 10:12 PM

[quote]Any footage out there of Babs as Snooks?

For a nanosecond in Funny Lady.

by Anonymousreply 84April 21, 2021 10:21 PM

For Pete's Sake is really bad, but I watch it again once a year to see Streisand in it. I believe she was a bitch to Estelle Parsons who complained about it.

by Anonymousreply 85April 21, 2021 10:26 PM

I saw Estelle Parsons on Midday Live in the mid-1970s, there with a film clip to actually publicize For Pete's Sake. The host was that redhead female feature reporter who was all over local New York TV at the time, can't remember her name.

Reporter keep pushing Estelle to trash Streisand. Says reporter, "but she keeps trying to be a real actress..." Estelle says, "if you're trying to be an actress, you don't only perform in roles that are molded to fit you. But that's okay too." I didn't get the impression there were problems between her and Babs. That Estelle Parsons agreed to appear in such dreck for a paycheck - she deserved whatever she got.

by Anonymousreply 86April 21, 2021 10:43 PM

R79, Hadn't Carol just screwed the producers of Fade Out, Fade In by leaving the show with a questionable injury that resulted in a lawsuit?

by Anonymousreply 87April 22, 2021 12:00 AM

I just remembered the reporter - Judy Licht. Her "trying to be an actress" comment was about The Way We Were which was out the previous year.

by Anonymousreply 88April 22, 2021 12:17 AM

Lainie Kazan earned raves the night she subbed for Barbra. Barbra of course, had her fired the day after. The competition was apparently too much and if of course obliterated the myth that only Streisand could pull it off.

And then of course there was the Anne Francis debacle. Funny Girl was much more of an ensemble piece before the movie cut pretty much everyone else except Shariff and Streisand out.

Barbra also reportedly despised Madeline Kahn for upstaging her in What's Up Doc?

by Anonymousreply 89April 22, 2021 12:25 AM

[quote]And Barbra never even tried to do an impression of Fanny Brice.

Which would be what exactly? A Jewish comedian/singer?

Putz.

by Anonymousreply 90April 22, 2021 12:41 AM

I saw a sneak preview, r84, and that sequence was longer.

by Anonymousreply 91April 22, 2021 12:41 AM

r89 = Lainie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 22, 2021 12:43 AM

Fanny & the Follies girls...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 22, 2021 12:49 AM

R89, even though Barbra was extremely threatened, Lainie Kazan was not fired. She had other offers, she left on her own. With regard to everything else - Babs is an unsecure freak, but she never wanted to fire either Anne Francis or Madelyn Kahn. Streisand hated Whats up doc regardless of who was in it.

by Anonymousreply 94April 22, 2021 12:50 AM

[quote] You can't argue with making money!

Donald Trump

by Anonymousreply 95April 22, 2021 12:52 AM

[R74] Good point. It’s not like Enry Iggins came off as a pussy hound.

by Anonymousreply 96April 22, 2021 12:56 AM

R77 She kind of did in funny lady

by Anonymousreply 97April 22, 2021 12:57 AM

Thanks for posting that , R92, I'd never seen any example of Lainie's portrayal. She was very good, but no Barbra. Babs just had a quality to her voice, something fresh and modern, almost pop. It wasn't a typical-sounding Broadway voice with a certain kind of trained vibrato; I still don't think anyone really has come close to that. Elaine Paige in Evita, maybe. For me anyway.

by Anonymousreply 98April 22, 2021 1:05 AM

I agree R98. And who knew there was a time when she was a soprano and didn't weigh 300 lbs?

by Anonymousreply 99April 22, 2021 1:07 AM

Just for fun, here's Heather Headley in her high school production of "Funny Girl." Why not? She sounds great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 22, 2021 1:26 AM

Ex-CUSE ME! EXCUSE ME!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 22, 2021 1:44 AM

FUNNY GIRL 1965

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 22, 2021 2:17 AM

If the ending of TWWW had been left as Laurents wanted it it would have made Redford's character deeply unsympathetic negating all the romance that had gone on before. Eliminating it was a smart move dramatically and financially. Who wants a shit as a romantic hero? Would anybody really have wanted to see it again and again? Audiences were smart enough to know that in the long run their characters were incompatible and that was enough for them to part. You've got to be completely unfamiliar with American romantic films not to see it.

by Anonymousreply 103April 22, 2021 2:49 AM

R101 that is atrocious

by Anonymousreply 104April 22, 2021 4:20 AM

I remember reading about a proposed sequel where Katie and Hubbell get back together to deal with their daughter being a hippie in trouble or something. Who could have played that daughter I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 105April 22, 2021 4:23 AM

Every time I watch Funny Girl, I am struck by how truly lovely Barbara is. She’s photographed so beautifully, in such warm colors, and she moves so well.

by Anonymousreply 106April 22, 2021 4:26 AM

Babs closing night Funny Girl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 22, 2021 4:30 AM

I prefer Funny Lady. I like the tougher, grown up Fanny better. And I love the score. They were close to casting Robert Blake as Billy Rose and that would have made the movie even better.

by Anonymousreply 108April 22, 2021 4:37 AM

Why did the composers write My Man and replace the Music that Makes Me Dance?

I’ll admit the prior is a more powerful song but wasn’t the latter a hit too?

by Anonymousreply 109April 22, 2021 4:38 AM

R107, I’m so confused. That’s My Man. I thought that was only in the movie

by Anonymousreply 110April 22, 2021 4:40 AM

She delivered a little speech after taking her bows and then sang My Man as a tribute to Fanny Brice, R110.

The audio of her speech, her singing My Man and the rest of the cast serenading her with Auld Lang Syne is available as a track on Babs' Just For The Record box set.

by Anonymousreply 111April 22, 2021 5:02 AM

I find the My Fair Lady film too stagey and interminably dull. Hepburn may have looked more aristocratic than Andrews but her gaunt face also makes her look too old, especially in the scene at the Embassy ball. It made me wonder why a haggard flower seller approaching middle age would want to reinvent herself? The role needs someone young-looking to pull off the naivete.

by Anonymousreply 112April 22, 2021 5:08 AM

R101, so much jealousy in show business.

by Anonymousreply 113April 22, 2021 5:47 AM

[Quote] She delivered a little speech after taking her bows and then sang My Man as a tribute to Fanny Brice

Did she sing My Man because she already knew the new movie song?

by Anonymousreply 114April 22, 2021 6:00 AM

[Quote] The role needs someone young-looking to pull off the naivete.

And, apparently, according to DL, sexy and alluring

by Anonymousreply 115April 22, 2021 6:01 AM

No, R114. Fanny Brice used to sing My Man and it was one of her signature songs. When the Broadway show was being planned Ray Stark wanted to use My Man as the show closer but Bob Merrill and Jule Styne put their foot down and insisted on having only the songs they had written. Their "replacement" for My Man was The Music That Makes Me Dance, which was a beautiful song in its own right.

Streisand sang the song after her final Broadway performance as a tribute to Brice. If you watch her first TV special "My Name is Barbra", filmed during the time when she was still playing the role on stage, the final segment was a concert performance of songs from Funny Girl. Streisand sang The Music That Makes Me Dance, then said something like, "Fanny Brice used to sing a song like that and it made her the toast of Broadway", before launching into a rendition of My Man.

by Anonymousreply 116April 22, 2021 6:51 AM

R116, thanks for the explanation!

Had no idea My Man wasn’t written by Styne-Merrill.

Just read up on it—Second Hand Rose and I’d Rather Be Blue were also sung by Fanny Brice and not composed by Styne-Merrill

by Anonymousreply 117April 22, 2021 7:04 AM

Bette Davis gushes over Streisand's performance in Funny Girl at 23:00 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 22, 2021 7:08 AM

The ending of the movie, although a great cinematic experience and probably the scene that earned Streisand her Oscar, is a lame cop out compared to the show. The show ends on a defiant note with Fanny reprising Don't Rain On My Parade and gives her character a bit of an edge. The movie casts her as an eternal co-dependent victim by ending with My Man.

by Anonymousreply 119April 22, 2021 7:52 AM

Was it anything to do with Carol being a person of color?

by Anonymousreply 120April 22, 2021 8:02 AM

R112 exactly. In PYGMALION, Shaw, describes her age to be "between eighteen or twenty but hardly older." Andrews (b. October 1935) was 20 when the show premiered on Broadway in March 1956.

by Anonymousreply 121April 22, 2021 9:09 AM

But Andrews was 29 when the movie premiered, barely six years younger than Hepburn. If MFL needs a 20-year-old actress (which is debatable), they should have cast someone born circa 1944: Jacqueline Bissett, Geraldine Chaplin, Catherine Schell.

The fact is that talent matters more than age, and that is why Julie Andrews should have played Eliza in the film.

by Anonymousreply 122April 22, 2021 9:42 AM

Rex Harrison was the biggest queen who ever queened in film "Staircase".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 22, 2021 10:00 AM

Strange mothers/sons casting in STAIRCASE: Rex Harrison and Beatrix Lehmann were only 5 years apart in age; Richard Burton and Cathleen Nesbitt were 37 years apart.

by Anonymousreply 124April 22, 2021 10:13 AM

Switching to lip-synching a few bars into My Man at the end of Funny Girl was one of the stupidest directorial decision ever. Did Wyler never see any of her live TV shows in which she is absolutely electric every time she sings live?

by Anonymousreply 125April 22, 2021 10:30 AM

What was Madame Streisand's problem with Anne Francis?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126April 22, 2021 10:38 AM

My man was not written for Funny Girl. It was a french song written decades earlier, the lyrics were rewritten in english and became a standard for Brice. Bizarrely in the film The Great Ziegfeld Brice only sings the intro I believe.

They put it at the end because it is a socko ending unlike The Music That Makes Me Dance though it is a wonderful song as well. Remember at the end of the stage show Streisand reprised Don't Rain on My Parade to leave audiences with a sense of excitement. Also audiences when the film opened were thrilled with Y Man. A frisson would go through the audiences as recorded by Andrew Sarris when he saw it. Also I read Barbara fanatics who could not afford to see it or see it again at roadshow prices would stand by the open doors of the Criterion theater in Times Square which were opened by the ushers for the exiting audience so they could listen to it. Yes I agree it is strange. I guess they couldn't afford the soundtrack album which was really expensive in those days. I guess also a communal experience for Bab's fans.

by Anonymousreply 127April 22, 2021 11:04 AM

My Man!!! I have no idea what Y Man is.

by Anonymousreply 128April 22, 2021 11:05 AM

Mon Homme (My Man) indeed was a French song and hit for Mistinguett. But it gained wider audience and fame with English translation sung by Fanny Brice. Billie Holiday did a jazz cover of "My Man" which was inducted into Grammy Hall of Fame. It would take Edith Piaf in 1940 to bring things back on home sung in original French.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129April 22, 2021 11:10 AM

Mistinguett - Mon homme - Chanson française

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130April 22, 2021 11:13 AM

[quote]If the ending of TWWW had been left as Laurents wanted it it would have made Redford's character deeply unsympathetic negating all the romance that had gone on before.

Redford's character is already unsympathetic. Among his other failings, he wants to end the marriage after cheating on her, then he's leaving presumably because of the affair. She was pregnant in both scenes, that's as shitty as it gets. As in many Streisand movies: man treats her badly, then she cries or sings a torch song as he leaves. I guess people like this type of shit, I prefer a story that's more complex and makes more sense. And Laurents' ending was the original ending, the ending in his novel, not some lamebrained writer idea.

R105, although he denies it now, it was REDFORD who was interested in a sequel to TWWW. He had contacted Arthur Laurents about it but didn't follow through. What the story was going to be has been speculated, not revealed. If it happened and Streisand wanted control, all Redford would have to do is tell her he's going ahead without her, then she'd have agreed to do it.

by Anonymousreply 131April 22, 2021 12:11 PM

Funny Girl is a lonnnnng movie. Did it really need scenes between Streisand and Francis to make it even longer. Obviously not.

by Anonymousreply 132April 22, 2021 12:14 PM

[quote]I guess they couldn't afford the soundtrack album which was really expensive in those days

Wrong. Soundtrack albums, ALL albums could be purchased at Korvette's for $4.50 or less in the late 1960s. For a buck or two more, you could get it at Sam Goody or Liberty. Record albums were not really expensive. A few years earlier when labels released mono versions, you could buy those albums for $3.00 - 3.50. I bought all my Beatles LPs in mono because of the lower prices since I was ten years old with limited cash.

Mono = Monaural.

by Anonymousreply 133April 22, 2021 12:35 PM

Francis said the scene Medford has with Streisand when she tells her Nicky is deeply in debt was supposed to her big scene in the film. She was hoping for a last chance Oscar nom. But she said it was her agent that made the fuss about her scenes being cut. It was not her. She even wrote a heartfelt letter eventually to Streisand explaining the situation and I guess hoping there were no hard feelings. She also wanted to let her know that she found Prince of Tides a very fine film.

by Anonymousreply 134April 22, 2021 12:41 PM

R131 Then why do you think that scene was cut? It was against Laurents wishes but both Pollack and Redford wanted it cut. It had to have been that it made the character even more unsympathetic no?

by Anonymousreply 135April 22, 2021 12:43 PM

R135, it was cut because the film was too long and test preview audiences groaned at the political scenes. Pollack cut the scenes with scissors at the theater (his story), Redford had nothing to do with it. I saw Pollack outside the Baronet movie theater on Third Ave counting the heads that came out of Bobby Deerfield in 1977. It had already been officially released, but if he was an impromptu scene cutter, HALF of that lousy movie should have been scissored.

by Anonymousreply 136April 22, 2021 1:26 PM

[quote][R112] exactly. In PYGMALION, Shaw, describes her age to be "between eighteen or twenty but hardly older." Andrews (b. October 1935) was 20 when the show premiered on Broadway in March 1956.

And yet Shaw wrote the part for his friend Mrs. Patrick Campbell, who created the part in the original production of Pygmalion. She was 49 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 137April 22, 2021 1:33 PM

[quote] Wrong. Soundtrack albums, ALL albums could be purchased at Korvette's for $4.50 or less in the late 1960s. For a buck or two more, you could get it at Sam Goody or Liberty. Record albums were not really expensive.

$4.50 in 1968 is $34 adjusted for inflation. Not incredibly expensive, but enough to keep some people from buying, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 138April 22, 2021 1:35 PM

I'll Oh dear myself for 'Bab's fans'

by Anonymousreply 139April 22, 2021 2:01 PM

Perhaps that's why high units sold were measured as GOLD albums, R138. That's 500,000 copies sold. Also- there were many more albums out in the 1960s. Artists recorded and released at least two a year. Streisand had three out in 1964 - The Third Album, Funny Girl and People.

by Anonymousreply 140April 22, 2021 2:01 PM

I remember the Broadway cast album was one of those thick albums you opened up to see all the (black and white) pictures inside. Those always seem to cost more.

by Anonymousreply 141April 22, 2021 2:07 PM

R141, No, that would be double albums - two records. Funny Girl was one record though it opened up. Her 1974 album Butterfly was like that too, one record but opened up with pictures inside.

by Anonymousreply 142April 22, 2021 2:10 PM

R142 And oh those Butterfly pictures!

by Anonymousreply 143April 22, 2021 2:12 PM

No, r142, that would be a single record in a gate-fold jacket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144April 22, 2021 2:17 PM

And remember roadshow ticket prices for Funny Girl were pretty expensive at the Criterion. I mean an average ticket price was $4.50 which could go up to $6.00 for a loge seat on a Saturday night. That would be $44 for a movie ticket today. I never got the appeal of the loge. It was too far from the screen. But it was considered exclusive. This was also a time when 50 cents would have an affect on your decision on which part of the movie theater you would sit.

by Anonymousreply 145April 22, 2021 2:19 PM

Even if it only contained one disc, those gatefold albums did tend to cost a bit more. It’s only logical, more cardboard, higher production cost.

by Anonymousreply 146April 22, 2021 2:19 PM

"... those gatefold albums did tend to cost a bit more"

Not if they ended up in the cut-out bin, r146!

by Anonymousreply 147April 22, 2021 2:26 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148April 22, 2021 2:27 PM

I started buying cast albums in the early sixties. The fold out albums did not cost more. But stereo records always cost a dollar more than mono.

by Anonymousreply 149April 22, 2021 2:36 PM

I had the Star! album, loved it. When I eventually saw the movie it was such a letdown.

by Anonymousreply 150April 22, 2021 2:38 PM

Oh dearing myself @r444

by Anonymousreply 151April 22, 2021 2:38 PM

r151 I believe you're due another "oh, dear" for referring to a non-existent post.

by Anonymousreply 152April 22, 2021 4:08 PM

[quote]They were close to casting Robert Blake as Billy Rose and that would have made the movie even better.

He would have KILLED in that part!

by Anonymousreply 153April 22, 2021 4:09 PM

[quote]Barbra was kind of a skank, no offense.

WAS?

by Anonymousreply 154April 22, 2021 4:10 PM

[quote]The exception was Disney, who never fucked his help

Not true.

by Anonymousreply 155April 22, 2021 4:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 22, 2021 4:34 PM

Funny Girl was the no 1 movie that year

by Anonymousreply 157April 22, 2021 4:56 PM

I know this is a stupid question but did Fanny and Arnstein get together again at the end?

I thought no, but then she sings My Man, which makes me think yes

by Anonymousreply 158April 22, 2021 4:57 PM

Anyone seen Funny Lady? is it worth it?

by Anonymousreply 159April 22, 2021 4:57 PM

She was under contract!!!

by Anonymousreply 160April 22, 2021 5:13 PM

R152 - For some reason, a post I made on another thread showed up in this thread I my computer. So, I "oh deared" myself thinking I posted in the wrong thread. And then magically, the post disappeared from this thread and was correctly posted in the other.

by Anonymousreply 161April 22, 2021 5:17 PM

Funny Girl had...a look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 22, 2021 5:20 PM

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 163April 22, 2021 5:21 PM

R162 Arlene is so over-the-top in that narration with her 1930s Park Avenue accent, it is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 164April 22, 2021 5:24 PM

Just to be clear (I thought I knew everything about Streisand, but I guess not):

Did "Funny Girl" on Broadway end with "His Is The Only Music That Makes Me Dance," and "Funny Girl," the movie, end with "My Man?"

by Anonymousreply 165April 22, 2021 5:26 PM

I didn't know that part of My Man was dubbed. I had read somewhere that is was live and a single take.

by Anonymousreply 166April 22, 2021 5:29 PM

The problem with Funny Girl is the book. They even updated it a bit for that recent London production and it was still a dud. Brilliant, beautiful score, but the story isn't very exciting and sort of peaks in act 1. It's similar to Mame in that regard. The real reason these shows haven't been revived like The Music Man or Gypsy is because they're just not as strong in terms of story. They're shows where you just twiddle your thumbs until the next musical number.

"My Man" in the film is live until the band really kicks into high gear with "oh, my man I love him so. He'll never know."

by Anonymousreply 167April 22, 2021 5:31 PM

I believe it ends with a Rain/Parade reprise, r165.

by Anonymousreply 168April 22, 2021 5:31 PM

Barbra and director William Wyler fought constantly filming Funny Girl. She would not take his direction, demandwd changes to the script, camera angles and lighting, etc. Remember that this was her first film but he had been considered one of the top and most honored directors in Hollywood for well over 30 years.

When asked about it later, Wyler said "You'll have to excuse Barbra. This was the first film she ever tried direct."

by Anonymousreply 169April 22, 2021 5:46 PM

Babs knew "My Man" was going to be a big number so she does everything but bump and grind as the tempo gains speed and volume increases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170April 22, 2021 5:53 PM

Does anyone else know the 1939 Fox film Rose of Washington Square, starring Alice Faye? The song Rose of W.ashington Square was one of Brice's signature tunes. It's one of my favorite Alice Faye films and I love me some Alice Faye.

Read this plot summary from Wikipedia carefully:

[quote]Ted Cotter (Al Jolson), a successful Broadway minstrel performer, spots Rose Sargent (Alice Faye) performing in a vaudeville amateur night. He immediately takes a personal and professional interest in her, helping her career along as she joins the famed Ziegfeld Follies and begins to achieve stardom.

[quote]Rose does not recognize Ted's love for her, falling instead for Bart Clinton (Tyrone Power), a gambler and con man. Bart's nefarious activities get him arrested, and after Ted puts up his bail, Bart skips town. Rose pines away for him, until one night, when Bart goes to the Follies and hears her tearful rendition of the song "My Man", he realizes the error of his ways and sets out to make things right. As Bart is sent away for a 5-year prison sentence, Rose says "I'll be waiting, darling!"

After the film was released, Brice sued Fox for $750,000, for obvious reasons. Fox settled with her out of court.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 22, 2021 6:07 PM

^ Sorry, try this link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172April 22, 2021 6:24 PM

Ooooo, William Frawley is in it. I loves me some Uncle Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 173April 22, 2021 6:28 PM

Was William Frawley gay? Did he ever marry? I think he lived with his sister. He loved boxing.

by Anonymousreply 174April 22, 2021 6:36 PM

I think Frawley lived with his mother until she died. No one has produced any proof he was gay, like old arrest records or a contemporary's memoir that tells tales out of school, but many people think the stress of being closeted may have fueled his alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 175April 22, 2021 6:43 PM

Bill Frawley was married once, it ended in divorce after several years.

The man had a reputation as a hard drinker, cantankerous and difficult. William Frawley was fired from a show after punching out Clifton Webb!

IIRC stories correctly both Lucy and Desi had reservations about casting Mr. Frawley as "Fred Mertz", the latter (again IIRC) sat WF down and made it clear if he caused trouble he would be out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176April 22, 2021 6:43 PM

Arnstein dumps Fanny in her dressing room right before her performance in the Ziegfeld Follies. It's an inconsiderate shitty thing to do but it allows her to go on stage where she weeps and carries on but as another poster put it she refrains from bumps and grinds.

by Anonymousreply 177April 22, 2021 7:01 PM

In the Mad Magazine parody of Funny Girl, they had the conversation between Fanny and Nick go something like this:

Fanny "I won't let you go!."

Nick "Even though I've gambled away our house, our child?"

Fanny "I still won't let you go!"

Nick "Even though I coughed during your performance last night?"

Fanny "I'll pack your bags."

by Anonymousreply 178April 22, 2021 7:32 PM

Of course Funny Girl had very little to do with the real Fanny Brice story. Her mother owned a chain of bars and Fanny had been very well educated and her family was very well off. There are so many errors - Snooks didn't appear to long after this (in the 40's?) and Fanny had been married before Arnstein.

by Anonymousreply 179April 22, 2021 7:41 PM

[quote]I didn't know that part of My Man was dubbed. I had read somewhere that is was live and a single take.

That info comes from Streisand herself. For years, for decades, she described My Man as being sung live - her suggestion to Wyler. Streisand LIED about it, but I could always tell that the beginning part was sung live, the big second part was lifted off her 1965 recording from My Name is Barbra Two. A wise idea imho, but lying was unnecessary.

R157, where did you get that info? Funny Girl was in limited release in the fall of 1968, and didn't go wide for at least a year. It was more popular than Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and numerous others? Don't count on it.

R159, I would advise against it. I couldn't believe how bad it was in 1975, and thirty years later it was worse.

by Anonymousreply 180April 22, 2021 7:46 PM

R179, why do you keep insisting Funny Girl should be an accurate biography of Fanny Brice? It's a musical BASED on Fanny Brice. The general public was much more interested in seeing Barbra Streisand than Fanny Brice.

by Anonymousreply 181April 22, 2021 7:58 PM

[quote]Ooooo, William Frawley is in it. I loves me some Uncle Charlie.

William Frawley was Bub, the three sons' grandfather. William Demarest played his brother, Uncle Charlie, Bub's replacement when Frawley left the show.

by Anonymousreply 182April 22, 2021 8:09 PM

Funny Girl was 1968 and Butch/Sundance was '69, r180.

by Anonymousreply 183April 22, 2021 8:33 PM

Darling, R183, hit movies were in theaters for 6 months to a year or more in 1968 and 1969, especially the two mentioned. Funny Girl and Butch Cassidy were in theaters at the SAME TIME.

by Anonymousreply 184April 22, 2021 8:54 PM

The "My Man" ending is also dishonest in a way because only the part she sang live was a fresh take for the film. From the point where the lipsynching portion begins they reused an old version already released on the "My Name Is Barbra" album in 1965. If they had to use "My Man" for the film would it have killed her to record a completely new version for the film soundtrack?

by Anonymousreply 185April 22, 2021 8:55 PM

Maybe Barbra just loved that particular take?

by Anonymousreply 186April 22, 2021 8:56 PM

Yes, because she was unable to sing it that well three years later.

by Anonymousreply 187April 22, 2021 8:58 PM

Snookums, r184, I was just pointing out they were released a year apart. I had no idea if r157 was correct or not. But guess what...they are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 22, 2021 9:05 PM

Little Miss Alice Faye

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189April 22, 2021 9:09 PM

[quote] would it have killed her to record a completely new version for the film soundtrack?

And waste good vinyl?

by Anonymousreply 190April 22, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote]"Rose of Washington Square" is a 1933 musical, staring Tyrone Power, Alice Faye and Al Jolson and directed by Gregory Ratoff.

Gregory Ratoff plays Max Fabian ("Max, you sly puss") in "All About Eve."

by Anonymousreply 191April 22, 2021 9:34 PM

Just to be pedantic, the youtube description gives the wrong date. Rose of Washington Square was released in 1939, not 1933.

by Anonymousreply 192April 22, 2021 9:46 PM

Those YouTube descriptions have a lot of errors.

by Anonymousreply 193April 22, 2021 10:35 PM

What were the Butterfly pictures like, r143?

by Anonymousreply 194April 22, 2021 11:03 PM

R194 It was a big collage of candids in the recording studio, about half of them her making out with Jon Peters.

In fact, here ya go...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195April 22, 2021 11:07 PM

Shooting half of My Man live and recycling her vocal from a past album did always seem odd to me, but to be fair, her voice sounds excellent there. A lot of movie musicals do this. They'll record some easier to sing, more "actory" parts live on the set and use a perfected and sweetened studio take for the higher or more rangy, belty parts.

This is one of the reasons the Les Mis film felt a little anemic. Some moments worked well with the live singing and other parts could have used a more perfected studio take to give the vocals more excitement. To make someone sing "Bring Home Home" or "I Dreamed A Dream" over multiple times in a day is going to strain even the best trained voices who have the notes within their range.

by Anonymousreply 196April 22, 2021 11:08 PM

Oh, her man, she loved him so, r195.

by Anonymousreply 197April 22, 2021 11:09 PM

Frawley and Demerest hated each other even before Frawley was dropped from "My Three Sons" (he had become uninsurable).

Ownership of rights and profit participation explain at least some casting---Roz Russell got "Gypsy" because of her husband's role in the rights being bought. Merman referred to him as "The Lizard of Roz". Depending on the story, Lucille Ball either put up money for "Mame" or bought the rights.

by Anonymousreply 198April 22, 2021 11:09 PM

Lucy didn't buy the rights to Mame but she did put a substantial amount of the production costs.

by Anonymousreply 199April 22, 2021 11:12 PM

I saw the stage version of "Funny Girl" for the first time a few years ago (at a regional theater) and I was surprised at how different it was from the movie. Not just the changes in songs, but the framing device they used, with flashbacks, etc.

by Anonymousreply 200April 22, 2021 11:28 PM

R195, those pics remind me that, regardless of its semi-popularity, Streisand must HATE the Funny Girl sequel, Funny Lady. Illiterate hairdresser boyfriend Jon Peters convinced Babs to do A Star is Born because she was so young, vital and sexy. She should quite playing "somebody's mother-in-law" and start playing a rock star.

by Anonymousreply 201April 22, 2021 11:49 PM

Babs meets QE II at the 1975 London premiere of "Funny Lady", with Jon Peters in tow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202April 23, 2021 12:51 AM

Is that where newly minted fake feminist Barbra asked Queenie why women had to wear gloved and men didn't, R202?

HAIL FEMINISM!

by Anonymousreply 203April 23, 2021 12:54 AM

[quote] I remember reading about a proposed sequel where Katie and Hubbell get back together to deal with their daughter being a hippie in trouble or something. Who could have played that daughter I wonder.

ME!! ME!!

***waves frantically*

by Anonymousreply 204April 23, 2021 12:58 AM

R204, Step aside, toots.

by Anonymousreply 205April 23, 2021 1:02 AM

R204 We're talking about the 1970s, sweetie. What about US?

by Anonymousreply 206April 23, 2021 1:04 AM

[Quote] I saw the stage version of "Funny Girl" for the first time a few years ago (at a regional theater) and I was surprised at how different it was from the movie.

Which one is better?

by Anonymousreply 207April 23, 2021 1:05 AM

Off-topic, but I *adored* Jason Gould in THE PRINCE OF TIDES. He was so smol! Also, I could relate to his being a klutz in sports. And I really enjoyed his burgeoning friendship with Nick Nolte.

by Anonymousreply 208April 23, 2021 1:07 AM

For a minute I thought that was Yasser Arafat meeting the Queen of England R202! But it's only Barbaric Streizand, a fashion terrorist. Yasser was prettier.

by Anonymousreply 209April 23, 2021 1:22 AM

She's dressed like Lillian Monster in R204's photo.

by Anonymousreply 210April 23, 2021 1:30 AM

r210 Did you perhaps mean LILY MUNSTER?

by Anonymousreply 211April 23, 2021 1:33 AM

R202. Barbra did a nice demure curtsy to the queen. Not overly done, just right. And the right amount of royal chit-chat.

by Anonymousreply 212April 23, 2021 1:39 AM

R202 The Queen's diamonds glittering!

by Anonymousreply 213April 23, 2021 1:48 AM

The cherry on top of ROSE OF WASHINGTON SQUARE:

Alice Faye was taught "My Man" by Fox's vocal coach, Jule Styne.

by Anonymousreply 214April 23, 2021 1:52 AM

I love “Lillian Monster”!

by Anonymousreply 215April 23, 2021 1:54 AM

Regarding FUNNY LADY: Fanny Brice was never a blonde, yet Barbra is blonde in the film.

It's like Barbra is playing Alice Faye playing Fanny Brice.

by Anonymousreply 216April 23, 2021 1:55 AM

Why was FUNNY LADY such a huge hit at the box office? Were people really clamoring for a sequel to a 7-year-old musical biopic?

by Anonymousreply 217April 23, 2021 2:07 AM

Anne Francis as Georgia was meant to be Dolores, the World's Most Beautiful Showgirl. Simply no comparison!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218April 23, 2021 2:20 AM

[quote]Why was FUNNY LADY such a huge hit at the box office? Were people really clamoring for a sequel to a 7-year-old musical biopic?

By that time she was described as a "superstar". I think people wanted to see her in a musical again. The cast album was also a hit.

by Anonymousreply 219April 23, 2021 2:47 AM

Poor Miss Francis...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220April 23, 2021 2:47 AM

I enjoy Funny Girl until the "Rain on My Parade" sequence. After that, the whole rest of the movie seems to fall oddly flat. They should have cut the second half by quite a bit, as it drags on forever.

by Anonymousreply 221April 23, 2021 2:49 AM

Funny Lady ranked #7 at the box office in 1975.

by Anonymousreply 222April 23, 2021 2:50 AM

[quote]Funny Lady ranked #7 at the box office in 1975.

And yet we never got "Funny Crone."

by Anonymousreply 223April 23, 2021 2:55 AM

Funny Girl's costumes are gorgeous (Irene Scharaff). But the ladies' makeup and hairstyles in His Love Makes Me Beautiful (the big Follies number} are as ridiculously 1960's contemporary as the Ascot ladies in My Fair Lady. I hate when they spend so much money and then trip up on details like this that take me right out of the films. To be fair, Hollywood films in general are notorious for this.

by Anonymousreply 224April 23, 2021 3:06 AM

[quote]then trip up on details like this that take me right out of the films.

Like I give a rats ass what some little homosexual thinks.

by Anonymousreply 225April 23, 2021 3:10 AM

R224 I so agree. Especially hairstyles, I get so frustrated when the hairstyles are wrong. It’s one reason I appreciate “Chinatown” so much, they get all that stuff right.

by Anonymousreply 226April 23, 2021 3:15 AM

Listen, it's her only watchable movie. Once, before you're 30. But her final lip synch to My Man is fucking terrible. And she poses all the way through of course. With some moments of charm and Barbaric sexiness. In great voice, but her grabbing OLD William Wyler by the balls and twisting them did the movie no favors. He didn't lose his touch or pacing. She just insisted on MORE of herself. I wasn't born when this film was made. Not for a long time after. But we learn a lot about the bitch in between. Whitney Houston was too scared and reluctant to be fabulous in the Bodyguard. Streizand insisted that eating moldy bread in the Warsaw Ghetto scenes make her fabulous. As she did in everything for the rest of her career. Funny Girl is a tour de force that DRAGS.

by Anonymousreply 227April 23, 2021 3:16 AM

Gladys, your son and I are are visiting you tomorrow in prison. No nail file in the tiramisu for you.

by Anonymousreply 228April 23, 2021 3:18 AM

I guess I'm the only person who likes the second half of Funny Girl. It's where Wyler gets to show his chops for drama. The scene where Arnstein is offered a job running the casino and is overjoyed is Wyler at his best.

Also the post trial meeting with Fanny when she asks him pleadingly why didn't you lie?! is very good too.

The Swan Lake parody is pretty bad and considering all the good numbers left out in the transition to the screen it's strange they couldn't do something better.

by Anonymousreply 229April 23, 2021 3:59 AM

Does Funny Lady have an famous songs?

by Anonymousreply 230April 23, 2021 4:04 AM

I don’t find all of Funny Girl’s score that amazing at face value. Streisand elevates it with her singing.

I doubt any other leading lady would have as strong an impact

by Anonymousreply 231April 23, 2021 4:05 AM

You may have trouble with FG but try and watch Fanny Brice's mugging in "The Sweepstakes Ticket" sketch in Ziegfeld Follies. Oy.

by Anonymousreply 232April 23, 2021 4:12 AM

Here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233April 23, 2021 4:17 AM

[quote]R29 The same could be said of Wendy Hiller, but most everyone always goes on about how she was the ideal 'Eliza Doolittle.'

Who don’t people go on about Mrs. Pat being passed over for the film version of PYGMALION?

[italic]The injustice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234April 23, 2021 4:36 AM

R75 et al

Not ugly per se, but Barbara Streisand was just very "ethinic" looking (shall we say). Standards for female screen (as in films, models, etc...) of the day still were heavily slanted towards western European ideals while Madame Streisand looked very much Jewish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235April 23, 2021 5:00 AM

Doris Day would have made a fantastic and age-appropriate Dolly. She could sing, too. Debbie Reynolds wouldn't have been a bad choice, either. I know Streisand's career was white-hot at the time and she sang the hell out of the score, but she really was too young. She also had zero chemistry with Matthau.

by Anonymousreply 236April 23, 2021 5:06 AM

Fast forward to "On A Clear Day..", Ms. Streisand lost a bit of weight, was a bit more sure of herself in front of camera, and learned now to make lighting and so forth work to her advantage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237April 23, 2021 5:07 AM

Her tits looked great in that dress, but the turban was silly.

by Anonymousreply 238April 23, 2021 5:08 AM

That being said even in OACD there's still no mistaking Babs Jewishness for that nose and other features. Will give Ms. Streisand credit she didn't go route of so many other Jewish females and males with a nose job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239April 23, 2021 5:11 AM

Hot damn! Robert Redford in "The Way We Were" does it for me every time, talk about being a peak of physical beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240April 23, 2021 5:14 AM

OACD is Minnelli's final real film. His last film, A Matter of Time, was snatched from him by the studio and butchered in editing. He disowned it and never made another film. Of course, he was quite elderly and beginning to suffer from Alzheimer's.

by Anonymousreply 241April 23, 2021 5:15 AM

Comparing Ms. Streisand to the showgirls in "His Love Makes Me Beautiful" shows what she was up against in terms of standard American ideal of female beauty at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242April 23, 2021 5:21 AM

Half those showgirls look like men in drag.

by Anonymousreply 243April 23, 2021 5:23 AM

R243

Where do you think drag queens got that look from anyway?

by Anonymousreply 244April 23, 2021 5:30 AM

Who the fuck keeps calling her Ms Streisand? She is a monstrous human being by ALL accounts. Always has been - from the start. Grotesque personality and humorless bitch. An egotistical nightmare. A lazy "perfectionist"! A know it all fountain of bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 245April 23, 2021 5:50 AM

R26 ...say whaaaaa?

Crawford is gay/bi?

by Anonymousreply 246April 23, 2021 5:56 AM

R237, I completely forgot about On a Clear Day!

I remember her sounding like a million bucks but the story was rather silly

by Anonymousreply 247April 23, 2021 5:57 AM

LOL at the hysterical Whitney fangurl trying to elevate her to some great acting legend. Streisand has never been a great actress and has always been an on-screen personality who always plays variations of the same character, but Whitney was a wooden actress with no screen presence or charisma. She was a fantastic model who looked stunning in stills but when in motion she was dull and tedious. Her "acting" was just more of the usual "neck-rolling, finger-wagging, sassy Crackney from the hood" schtick she showed in the reality show.

by Anonymousreply 248April 23, 2021 6:05 AM

R248, Kate Hepburn, is that you writing from the grave?

by Anonymousreply 249April 23, 2021 6:09 AM

Streisand sings the first section of “My Man” live—but then the second section is lip-synched, to the same arrangement as on her album, but not the actual album cut.

by Anonymousreply 250April 23, 2021 6:40 AM

What a sick mind has R248. Sad to read such hatred and racism. All day & everyday from that OLD white man.

F&F it.

by Anonymousreply 251April 23, 2021 6:40 AM

Whitney was only mentioned in reference to her lack of acting ability and confidence. R248 has a major problem- calling her crackney!? Nobody really knows what Streisand did because we aren't all a hundred years old and her work is forgotten, no?

My grandmother says that Barbra Streisand overperformed everything but underperformed in everything.

The world loves Whitney Houston, that's for sure. Not many people know Barbra Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 252April 23, 2021 6:48 AM

LOL! Yes, R211. Thanks for the Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 253April 23, 2021 7:10 AM

I always knew the second half of My Man was lip-synched but I thought the recording was made for the movie like the rest of the songs. Are you saying it is actually an old cut recorded years before from one of her albums?

by Anonymousreply 254April 23, 2021 8:08 AM

[quote] flowers, flowers, flowers.

R56 The movie is from the play by socialist George Bernard Shaw.

He wanted to write a didactic comedy talking about the middle class and the working class. So he set the first scene at Covent Garden which is one of the few places where the middle class are put into close proximity with the working class.

As you know the Royal Opera house is located immediately next door to the Covent Garden markets which sold meat, vegetables and flowers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255April 23, 2021 8:17 AM

Pygmalion is problematic.

by Anonymousreply 256April 23, 2021 8:19 AM

I’m going strictly by memory here, but in the version of “My Man” in the movie, the vocals are from a cut on the “My Name is Barbra” album but the instrumental arrangement is different. I think.

I’ve always thought the movie version of “People” is absolutely beautiful. Barbra dials it way down, which really works. And the arrangement is gorgeous. It’s the only version I like.

by Anonymousreply 257April 23, 2021 8:27 AM

Watched it.

I didn't believe Streisand was that character for a second.

She really won an Oscar for that?

by Anonymousreply 258April 23, 2021 8:41 AM

1/2 an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 259April 23, 2021 8:44 AM

What's My Line? - Barbra Streisand; Gore Vidal [panel] (Apr 12, 1964)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260April 23, 2021 8:56 AM

She's sweet and shy there.

by Anonymousreply 261April 23, 2021 12:38 PM

What's up with her hair?

by Anonymousreply 262April 23, 2021 12:46 PM

Is it a Korean wig?

by Anonymousreply 263April 23, 2021 12:48 PM

She looks like one of those Martians from MARS ATTACKS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264April 23, 2021 12:50 PM

Babs was OK in small doses as a comedienne but most of her attempts at acting were laughably bad. Her dragon lady nails alone disqualify her from being taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 265April 23, 2021 1:01 PM

I've always thought Barbra was tough, selfish, and hardheaded as a way to protect herself in a thoroughly rotten business. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 266April 23, 2021 1:21 PM

Well she's a sweet and shy person.

by Anonymousreply 267April 23, 2021 1:25 PM

R265 I have a higher opinion of her as an actress than you do, but the ultra-long fingernails have always been annoying and to me, showed that she really wasn't serious about acting because God forbid she ever be without them.

by Anonymousreply 268April 23, 2021 1:34 PM

Why are you guys talking about her nails for?

by Anonymousreply 269April 23, 2021 1:39 PM

Correct, R257. I don't understand why people can't hear this it's so obvious, R250 and R254.

[quote](Funny Girl's costumes) are ridiculously 1960's contemporary

Yes, and Streisand was ridiculously contemporary in the 1960s. That was her decade. Attempts to fit in and be contemporary in any other decade - 1970s, 80s, 90s and 2000s fell flat.

by Anonymousreply 270April 23, 2021 2:13 PM

I think she did the 70s upscale rustic Malibu hippie look pretty well. By the 80s she had settled on a look and after that rarely changed it up. She got boring from a style standpoint.

by Anonymousreply 271April 23, 2021 2:27 PM

I grew up on the OBCR of Funny Girl with its all out brassiness. I've never been able to warm to her toned down performances on the soundtrack. She probably thinks it's more "artistic." After all, she's an "artist."

by Anonymousreply 272April 23, 2021 2:31 PM

R272 well they did have to be toned down for the movie. I enjoy both. Maybe not the Schvan Lake one.

by Anonymousreply 273April 23, 2021 2:33 PM

Babs made Borcht humor mainstream

by Anonymousreply 274April 23, 2021 2:47 PM

f you say so, R271. Ewwwww

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275April 23, 2021 2:50 PM

Streisand was the biggest female movie star of the 1970s. She was consistently on Quigley's annual list of Top 10 Movie Stars throughout the decade, sometimes at #2 and oftentimes as the only woman on the list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276April 23, 2021 2:54 PM

R275 I was thinking more along these lines...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277April 23, 2021 3:17 PM

Oh look, a Barbra doll!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278April 23, 2021 3:45 PM

Brice and Tallulah on the radio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279April 23, 2021 4:09 PM

Miss Tallulah taught Snooks how to masturbate when she was making too much noise at a party.

by Anonymousreply 280April 23, 2021 4:18 PM

"But ven I get mad, believe it Jack.....out from novhere comes a MANIAC!"

Underrated line

by Anonymousreply 281April 23, 2021 4:27 PM

I was always fond of Mrs. Cohen at the Beach...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282April 23, 2021 4:39 PM

I tried watching this again but it was too "sixties" looking for me. All the women had bouffant hair and long frosted nails.

by Anonymousreply 283April 23, 2021 5:02 PM

R283 what were you expecting?

by Anonymousreply 284April 23, 2021 5:08 PM

You're not alone, r283. See r224 and r226.

by Anonymousreply 285April 23, 2021 5:14 PM

Wasn't Arthur Laurents' main beef with Barbra doing Gypsy that she cut her fingernails?

He was right. The idea of Rose, who lives in hotels and has no money, having gorgeously manicured fingernails would be hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

by Anonymousreply 286April 23, 2021 5:28 PM

Arthur Laurents has wanted Streisand to do Gypsy going back to the early 1970s. She rejected it because she said she was "too young" for the role.

by Anonymousreply 287April 23, 2021 5:31 PM

R286 the real Rose Hovick was all about keeping up appearances. The family often went hungry in order to spend money on nice clothes/coats/shoes to give the impression that they were doing well. Rose didn't think that a shabby-looking troupe would attract theater owners.

by Anonymousreply 288April 23, 2021 5:38 PM

Laurents did gripe about Streisand's glossy nails (and Redford's shaggy hair) in "The Way We Were". He thought they were anachronistic and out of character, reflections of the stars' vanities taking precedence over period accuracy. Don't know about "Gypsy"...

"Looking at the film today, Laurents says that it displays some fine chemistry between Streisand and Redford. But he also thinks the original story was seriously damaged by superstar personas and Hollywood hokum. 'Anyone who becomes a movie star must be superhuman to remain human. Superhuman, Barbra was not,' he writes, nor for that matter was Redford. Too often, according to Laurents, the movie became, in Redford’s case, about hair and teeth and white turtleneck sweaters to set off baby blues. For Streisand, he says, it was about grand accents and fingernails."

by Anonymousreply 289April 23, 2021 5:49 PM

Even at the right age, I can't picture Barbra as Rose. Something about her doesn't scream "Rose" to me. I have a feeling it'd be a lot like the Bette Midler version. The comic parts would be pretty good, but the dramatic moments would fall flat. Midler still has the worst "Rose's Turn" I've ever seen. You feel absolutely nothing while watching it.

by Anonymousreply 290April 23, 2021 5:50 PM

Maybe some period detail R284?

by Anonymousreply 291April 23, 2021 5:58 PM

I didn't mind Redford's shaggy hair in TWWW in the beginning. It should have darkened and been shorter when he was an adult. Redford's love affair with the bottle - of bleach - was in full force in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 292April 23, 2021 6:25 PM

[quote]the real Rose Hovick was all about keeping up appearances.

Gypsy is not about the real Rose Hovick.

by Anonymousreply 293April 23, 2021 7:39 PM

She is pure electric when she performs live. I still think ending with lip-synching My Man was a huge mistake and I will go to my grave saying this. Live from one of her TV shows, toned down I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294April 23, 2021 7:54 PM

She has been quoted many times as saying that she is not good at lip-synching.

by Anonymousreply 295April 23, 2021 8:08 PM

^ that's the confession, and it's fairly recent. She used to say she "didn't like" lip-synching because all her performances were different, she couldn't duplicate it with lips. A long way of saying, "I stinkerino at lip-synching." It takes Babs a long time to admit things like that.

by Anonymousreply 296April 23, 2021 8:22 PM

[quote]She is pure electric when she performs live. I still think ending with lip-synching My Man was a huge mistake and I will go to my grave saying this.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 297April 23, 2021 8:51 PM

R297, I'll take the MARY!. I am not a Streisand fanatic, however, I've seen her live three times at Madison Square Garden. I am an armature musician and love all genres of music. She is like a human Stradivarius. You cannot believe this incredible sound is coming from another human being.

by Anonymousreply 298April 23, 2021 9:21 PM

^^amature. I thought I corrected that!

by Anonymousreply 299April 23, 2021 9:22 PM

amateur???

by Anonymousreply 300April 23, 2021 9:29 PM

Barbra...LIVE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301April 23, 2021 10:17 PM

That Central Park concert is magnificent. She looked and sounded her best.

by Anonymousreply 302April 23, 2021 10:21 PM

The real Nicky Arnstein was a toad. Brice could be glammed up but was def no beauty but Babs was way prettier.

by Anonymousreply 303April 23, 2021 10:25 PM

I remember some music critic saying that she sang He Touched Me, which was a charming little song,, like it was Vissi d'arte from Tosca.

by Anonymousreply 304April 23, 2021 10:27 PM

I didn't realize Barbra was already a huge recording star in the '60s. I figured her fame trajectory was two Broadway musicals and then off to Hollywood. I thought her recording career began in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 305April 23, 2021 10:29 PM

The great singer Sarah Vaughan wrote in Downbeat (or something) "Ooh, that's a very dirty song...she certainly was touched!" Sarah had a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 306April 23, 2021 10:30 PM

R305, not only was she a big singer in the 1960s, Robert Redford ONLY knew her as a singer when he signed to do The Way We Were. He'd never seen her on a movie or TV screen, and was worried that she was too inexperienced to act the role in the film. When he remarked about it on that Oprah show where they appeared together decades later - that he asked her how hard she was willing to work on the role - Streisand looked confused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307April 23, 2021 10:58 PM

R305. Omg, where have you been? Streisand was a sensation in the '60s. It was a the start of it all. Her first few albums were mesmerizing. Color Me Barbra is brilliant. Funny Girl on Broadway and the movie was a her legendary signature role of a lifetime. Then came The Way We Were in 1973, another landmark role. Then she branched out and did a range of music in the '70s. Personally, I wish she made more screwball comedies like The Owl and The Pussycat and What's Up Doc. She's very funny.

"He Touched Me" from A Happening in Central Park, 1968, in fact the entire album blew me away.

by Anonymousreply 308April 23, 2021 11:00 PM

It is hard to imagine Redford not seeing Funny Girl or What's Up Doc. They were both huge films in their years. I call bullshit. Like Streisand saying she never heard any Fanny Brice before Funny Girl and a former friend said he played her some of Brice's recordings years before she did the show.

by Anonymousreply 309April 23, 2021 11:04 PM

He Touched Me is Streisand at her best. It's tacky but amazing. She didn't deserve to sing the great songs of the American Songbook. But with a long melodic line and a few crescendoes,some suggestive lyrics and some sticky sentiments she did quite well. Modulations, a huge finish and a final note she could extend forever is her signature. Her voice used to SOAR. Problem was she really doesn't understand how to interpret songs well. She had a great voice but she's not a great singer. So most of her best work is with less important music. He Touched Me There is really just a climbing the scale song with a a few atonal grace notes in the bridge : perfect for Babs. talents and lack of taste. But she sounded fabulous on it.

But when she gives to same treatment to Have I Stayed Too Long at the Fair, we can see she's just generally without taste and mostly concerned with showing off her voice.

Bab's version of Memory is one her more beautiful and straightforward performances. Every now and then she wasn't a tacky shrew. But always with more mediocre tunes that suited her vocal style. She is far better suited to sing Andrew Lloyd Webber than Songdheim or Rogers and Hamerstein.

by Anonymousreply 310April 23, 2021 11:09 PM

And them TV Specials!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311April 23, 2021 11:14 PM

R309, Redford doesn't even see his own movies. As far as Funny Girl and all, most straight men are not fond of musicals and don't go unless their wives drag them. Redford not having seen Streisand on film is backed up by Julia Phillips in her book - she told him to see The Owl and the Pussycat. He did and wasn't much impressed.

by Anonymousreply 312April 23, 2021 11:25 PM

With respect to younger people who truly aren’t aware, I have to laugh that we’re actually discussing whether or not Barbra Streisand was a prominent singer of the 60s.

I urge anyone with an interest in popular music to explore her early albums, starting with “The Barbra Streisand Album” (1963 or thereabouts). Personally I’d stop at around “Barbra Joan Streisand” a decade later. I don’t care for her records after the early 70s. But for a while she was one of the most exciting singer/performers on the planet. Check out her 60s TV specials, too.

by Anonymousreply 313April 23, 2021 11:25 PM

I dunno, R310, this is especially fine subtle singing of a standard, It Had to Be You. Skip the verse and watch the close-up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314April 23, 2021 11:28 PM

Who do you think is a great singer, R310? Of popular music, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 315April 23, 2021 11:32 PM

[quote] For "My Fair Lady," Jack Warner had no interest in Andrews

This was his last movie, his most expensive movie and the most prestigious. He wanted the two biggest names— O'Toole and Audrey.

Julie Andrews was then considered a little freakish, with a bell-like voice but an unsexy Pinocchio nose. (In fact the earliest mention I heard of her was in Gilligans Island where Gilligan was joking about someone with a long ski-slope nose and he described it as a 'Julie Andrews nose').

by Anonymousreply 316April 23, 2021 11:36 PM

I remember Red Skelton on his CBS comedy show running around saying "My Name Is Barbra" with splayed fingers.

Alfred E. Neuman as Babs on the cover of Mad Magazine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317April 23, 2021 11:39 PM

And them TV Specials!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318April 23, 2021 11:43 PM

[quote]Who do you think is a great singer, [R310]? Of popular music, I mean.

It's a broad category. Rosemary Clooney, Natalie Cole, Nat King Cole and Ella Fitzgerald for starters.

Of more "modern" singers, Streisand is not one. But I can still tell you who is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319April 23, 2021 11:52 PM

R317 They wouldn't be allowed to do that cover today.

by Anonymousreply 320April 23, 2021 11:58 PM

[quote] I am not a Streisand fanatic, however, I've seen her live three times at Madison Square Garden. She is like a human Stradivarius. You cannot believe this incredible sound is coming from another human being.

I've got news for you. You *are* a Streisand fanatic.

by Anonymousreply 321April 24, 2021 12:07 AM

"Like Streisand saying she never heard any Fanny Brice before Funny Girl"

Like Streisand saying she had no influences and was a complete original. Many here have commented for years on how Streisand borrowed heavily from Lena Horne early in her career as an "actress who sings." Sis Roslyn Kind confirmed that Barbra listened to Lena Horne on the phonograph as a teen and young adult. Is this going to be in Babs' autobiography? Not on your life.

by Anonymousreply 322April 24, 2021 12:15 AM

R320 The whole overtly international, multicultural theme of "Barbra Streisand...And Other Musical Instruments" wouldn't be allowed today, not as a solo vehicle for someone like her. The screams of appropriation!

by Anonymousreply 323April 24, 2021 12:19 AM

^ that would be a good thing, R323

by Anonymousreply 324April 24, 2021 12:24 AM

R324 Disagree. It was a celebration. Not her best work, but I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 325April 24, 2021 12:28 AM

R202. I didn't know commoners were allowed to ask the Queen a question as she passes by. What on earth could Babs ask the Queen of England without making her look like a fool? "What's in your purse?"

by Anonymousreply 326April 24, 2021 12:36 AM

[quote]This was his last movie, his most expensive movie and the most prestigious. He wanted the two biggest names— O'Toole and Audrey.

1. Not his last movie. (see "1776")

2. Peter O'Toole?

by Anonymousreply 327April 24, 2021 12:36 AM

[quote]Like Streisand saying she had no influences and was a complete original. Many here have commented for years on how Streisand borrowed heavily from Lena Horne early in her career as an "actress who sings." Sis Roslyn Kind confirmed that Barbra listened to Lena Horne on the phonograph as a teen and young adult. Is this going to be in Babs' autobiography? Not on your life.

You're wrong.

Streisand has mentioned Joni James aa her big influence and listening to her records over and over again when she was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 328April 24, 2021 12:37 AM

*as her big influence

by Anonymousreply 329April 24, 2021 12:37 AM

R327 he was a British actor who was nominated for several Oscars and never won.

by Anonymousreply 330April 24, 2021 12:38 AM

R328 that reminds me of a recent comment I saw on YouTube where someone claimed that Marilyn Monroe copied Dorothy Dandridge. Anyone who has studied Marilyn knows that her biggest idol was Jean Harlow. She continued to adore her and derive inspiration from her to the very end. In one of her last photo sittings, she posed as Jean Harlow.

by Anonymousreply 331April 24, 2021 12:43 AM

I'm guessing R327 is questioning the notion of casting Peter O'Toole over Rex Harrison. I could see O'Toole in the role, certainly, but it belonged to Rex!

by Anonymousreply 332April 24, 2021 12:44 AM

R327 Warner announced in 1964 that 'Lady' would be "his last movie, his most expensive movie and the most prestigious".

R332 I agree Rex was superb in the role but it unfortunately it meant his mother had to be played by an ancient Gladys Cooper. And of course that meant New York bitches would describe the whole movie as 'embalmed'.

by Anonymousreply 333April 24, 2021 12:52 AM

I believe Warner wanted Cary for Higgins and Cagney for Doolittle. Anyway....Joni James...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334April 24, 2021 12:55 AM

R334 I don't know the correct singer's terminology but I hear the little influences. And yet Joni James is all but forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 335April 24, 2021 12:59 AM

[quote]In one of her last photo sittings, she posed as Jean Harlow.

That was in 1958. For LIFE Magazine.

FUN FACT: Dandridge and Monroe knew each other from about 1947 til MM's death.

by Anonymousreply 336April 24, 2021 12:59 AM

"He Touched Me" was originally "SHE Touched Me," and was introduced by Mr. Barbra Streisand (Elliott Gould) in the musical "Drat! The Cat!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337April 24, 2021 1:01 AM

Yes, r336, it was Avedon and it wasn't just Harlow. Celeste Holm said Marilyn emulated Grable and she was right. Watch Grable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338April 24, 2021 1:03 AM

R337 Elliot Gould and Lesley Ann Warren? The exes of Barbra and Jon Peters? Well, ain't that ironical.

Elliot had a serviceable voice.

by Anonymousreply 339April 24, 2021 1:03 AM

But he perspired profusely, r339.

by Anonymousreply 340April 24, 2021 1:05 AM

She was on fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341April 24, 2021 1:08 AM

R334 Wow...you really can hear how Streisand emulated Joni James.

by Anonymousreply 342April 24, 2021 1:25 AM

The most interesting part of that very extraordinary clip is the last 5 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 343April 24, 2021 1:26 AM

And those flabby arms.

by Anonymousreply 344April 24, 2021 1:29 AM

R224

Irene *Sharaff* likely forgot more about early 1900's Ziegfeld follies chorus girls then you'll ever know.

Her designs for Funny Girl's "His Love Makes Me Beautiful" navigated desires from the suits along with merging what (then) modern audiences expected showgirls to look like....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345April 24, 2021 1:34 AM

You can see from these period photos Ms. Sharaff's costumes weren't far off mark for Ziegfeld follies girls of the period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346April 24, 2021 1:36 AM

Do you want to hear something freaky?

Joni VS. Barbra singing one of the most beautiful songs ever written: "You'll Never Know".

Here's Barbra as a kid in 1955 (link below).

After you listen to that, listen to Joni singing it. (following post)

They sound the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347April 24, 2021 1:37 AM

Joni

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348April 24, 2021 1:37 AM

BTW: Joni James (Giovanna Carmella Babbo) is still with us at 90 years old.

by Anonymousreply 349April 24, 2021 1:42 AM

RIP Barbaric Streizand.

by Anonymousreply 350April 24, 2021 1:43 AM

I wonder if Joni has ever addressed the matter of her very famous fan? Did they ever meet?

by Anonymousreply 351April 24, 2021 1:44 AM

Too bad they never dueted.

by Anonymousreply 352April 24, 2021 1:45 AM

Like many other actresses such as Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher, Barbara Streisand kept (took, stole, stashed away) many of the costumes she wore in Funny Lady. Ms. Streisand later auctioned off much memorabilia (including dresses/gowns from Funny Girl) to fund her foundation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353April 24, 2021 1:49 AM

I think the best word to describe Barbra’s singing is “exciting.”

by Anonymousreply 354April 24, 2021 1:51 AM

For those of you youngsters who only think of Lena Horne as that delicate undemanding ingenue -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355April 24, 2021 1:52 AM

Lena's elegant cold-as-ice-persona and delivery was as far away from Streisand as could be.

by Anonymousreply 356April 24, 2021 1:58 AM

Didn’t find a pic of Barb and Joni but did find this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357April 24, 2021 1:59 AM

Sharaff making the Ziegfeld Follies girls look like 1960s Cesars Palace girls is nothing new. Check out Orry-Kelly's fabulous costumes for Betty Grable and June Haver in THE DOLLY SISTERS where 1917 is 1945.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358April 24, 2021 2:01 AM

She was 26 when she did that.

by Anonymousreply 359April 24, 2021 2:04 AM

R257 She was a guest of honor at the American Film Institute's Life Achievement Tribute to Barbra Streisand.

"The 29th annual AFI banquet, at which Streisand would become the first woman director so honored, was filled with those kinds of moments . . . funny, nostalgic and unexpected. Although the ceremony was nearly twice as long as most of her movies, it moved quickly, thanks to musical contributions by Marvin Hamlisch, Michel Legrand, early influence Joni James and 15-year-old Chicago native Lauren Frost, a dead-ringer for the Brooklyn-born star."

by Anonymousreply 360April 24, 2021 2:04 AM

^^meant for R357

by Anonymousreply 361April 24, 2021 2:05 AM

That’s great R361

by Anonymousreply 362April 24, 2021 2:07 AM

One of the most beautiful gowns in FUNNY GIRL is a vintage 1930s Fortuny gown:

“I thought the Fortuny dress was gorgeous. Utterly simple-held together by a thin silk cord at the shoulders and very complex with that infinitesimal pleating. Irene Sharaff found the Fortuny dress for me. No one has ever figured out how he did those tiny pleats. It’s like Tiffany glass in a way. You can’t quite duplicate it, although many people have tried"

Mariano Fortuny (1871-1949) was born into a renowned family of artists in Grenada, Spain. At 18 he moved to Venice where he established his career. He began working in many areas of the arts including theatrical lighting where he invented cutting edge techniques like the cyclorama dome. He opened his couture house in 1906, and the first Delphos gown was created in 1907 as a collaboration between Fortuny and his wife & muse Henriette Negrin. The “Delphos” (names after the Greek statue Charioteer Of Delphi) was a direct reference to the chiton of ancient Greece, and meant to be worn without undergarments. It was originally intended as informal clothing to be worn solely around the home. These finely pleated silk dresses eventually became evening wear, and Fortuny’s most famous design. His method of pleating was a closely guarded secret involving applying heat to wet fabric. He patented this method in 1909 under the name “Genre d’étoffe plissé.

Delphos dresses all featured glass Murano beads strung on silk cord along each side seam. These beads are decorative but also serve the purpose of weighing down the silk for a smooth fit. These dresses began to be distributed in the USA in 1928 & were made until Fortuny’s death in 1949. Today, his gowns are extremely valued and collectable, selling for upwards of $10,000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363April 24, 2021 2:08 AM

What is puzzling to me about BS is that she really wanted to act but singing was an easier career path so she went that direction hoping it would lead to being an actress. Why am I puzzled? She seems so happy when she's singing and at her most alive, she just shines so how is it that she had so little love for it? How does someone do that and not be in love with singing?

Fast forward and we see she didn't bother to take care of her voice, the thing that made her famous, the gift that leaves people in awe. I just don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 364April 24, 2021 2:17 AM

Lucy and Desi were going to do Funny Girl but Gary talked them BOTH out of it.

by Anonymousreply 365April 24, 2021 2:46 AM

If Anne Bancroft had said yes to FG on Broadway would there have still been a movie? Anne was a competent singer but hardly unique. Apparently she said no because she didn't like the show's book but she was desperate to do a musical to show off what she thought was her great voice.

by Anonymousreply 366April 24, 2021 3:27 AM

Every now and then she didn't fuck it up. Just the voice man. A glory of resonance and clarity and power and that wild golden buzzy vibrato the put a spin on her notes into space. What a gift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367April 24, 2021 3:51 AM

Joni James (born Giovanna Carmella Babbo, September 22, 1930) is an American singer of traditional pop music. She's still alive at 90.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368April 24, 2021 5:24 AM

[quote]I believe Warner wanted Cary for Higgins and Cagney for Doolittle.

Correct. And Cukor wanted Grant badly for A Star Is Born. They were old friends and had made several classic films together. Grant's refusal even to consider the role both bewildered and infuriated Cukor. It ruptured their friendship for awhile and Cukor wouldn't speak to Grant for several years, although they eventually reconciled.

by Anonymousreply 369April 24, 2021 5:34 AM

In my opinion, Barbra's best album is The Way We Were...not the soundtrack to the movie, but the 1973 album shown below with the title song shown on the album cover. Stunning cover, but the way. Every song is a gem, several of which come from the writing team of Marilyn and Alan Bergman and Michel Legrand. What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life, Pieces of Dreams and the brilliant Summer Me, Winter Me.

But my absolute favorite is The Best Thing You've Ever Done (not a Bergman song). It gives me chills. I have loved Barbra forever, but this song makes me love her all over again. Listen on the next post and see what you think. It starts off quiet and then she blows you away by the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370April 24, 2021 5:45 AM

"The Best Thing You've Ever Done"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371April 24, 2021 5:46 AM

R371

Babs looks like some JAP from Great Neck, LI on that album cover. My gwad those nails....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372April 24, 2021 5:53 AM

Rehearsing The Way We Weren't with The Marvin Hamlisch. One of the few men Barbra wasn't an asshole to. The ladies loved Marvin. Quite a fascinating collaboration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373April 24, 2021 6:05 AM

[quote][R224] Irene *Sharaff* likely forgot more about early 1900's Ziegfeld follies chorus girls then you'll ever know.

[quote]Her designs for Funny Girl's "His Love Makes Me Beautiful" navigated desires from the suits along with merging what (then) modern audiences expected showgirls to look like....

What the fuck are you on about, r345, you ignorant slut. I identified Sharaff by name after calling FG's clothes "gorgeous" because she is in my personal PANTHEON of designers. So I had a brainfart and mistyped her name. I've done worse and I bet you have too.

Let me clue you in since your reading comprehension is nil. I complained specifically about the film's makeup and hairstyles while praising the clothes. Guess what? The costume designer does the costumes, not the hairstyles. That's the province of the hair stylist/hair department. The costume designer does the costumes, not the makeup. That's the province of the make up designer/makeup department.

[quote]Irene *Sharaff* likely forgot more about early 1900's Ziegfeld follies chorus girls then you'll ever know.

Probably, but you'd be very, very surprised. Now, excuse me, I need to calm down so I think I'll walk down the hallway where I keep my framed copies of original hand drawn and signed Follies costume sketches by Romain de Tirtoff and then look through some of my own sketches for The Light Opera of Manhattan many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 374April 24, 2021 6:43 AM

Funny girl Bancroft belting out a tune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375April 24, 2021 7:05 AM

R347/r348: We discussed Alice Faye above. She starred in the first lightly disguised film version of Brice's life, Rose of Washington Square (see post 171 and following; Faye sings "My Man" at r189).

At any rate, "You'll Never Know" was written for Faye and it became one of her signature songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376April 24, 2021 7:21 AM

R374 Mary ! !

by Anonymousreply 377April 24, 2021 7:23 AM

[quote]If Anne Bancroft had said yes to FG on Broadway would there have still been a movie? Anne was a competent singer but hardly unique. Apparently she said no because she didn't like the show's book but she was desperate to do a musical to show off what she thought was her great voice.

As per the liner notes in the CD release of the OBC album, Bancroft said no after listening to the songs Merrill and Styne had written. Styne had reportedly seen Streisand perform at the Bon Soir and started to write the score with her powerful voice in mind. He wanted Babs in the role and was quoted as having been the one who persuaded Ray and Fran Stark to trek down to Greenwich Village and check out Barbra's nightclub act.

I am fascinated by the possibility of Stephen Sondheim as the composer of the score. He was attached to the project at the start but walked out when Mary Martin was involved and the choice to play Brice. Carol Burnett was I think the one who turned down the role and told them, "You need a Jewish girl to play this. Or at least someone with a nose."

by Anonymousreply 378April 24, 2021 7:26 AM

Sharaff was very proud of her work on Funny Girl and Hello, Dolly! but she was so disgusted at the way Streisand behaved with her on Dolly that she told friends she would never work with that bitch again and she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 379April 24, 2021 7:31 AM

Poor Irene: Out of the frying pan, into the fire...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380April 24, 2021 7:38 AM

If the Broadway production had opened a year earlier or a year later could Babs have won the "Best Actress in a Musical" Tony? Vivien Leigh won for "Tovarich" the year before and Liza Minnelli for "Flora, the Red Menace" a year later. Babs of course lost to Carol 👀 Channing in "Hell No, Dolly".

by Anonymousreply 381April 24, 2021 10:12 AM

R381, And she had previously lost the Best Featured Actress Tony for Wholesale to Phyllis Newman for Subways are for Sleeping.

Phyllis liked to often mention that in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 382April 24, 2021 11:22 AM

Happy Birthday, Barbra! I wonder what kind of cake she’ll have?

by Anonymousreply 383April 24, 2021 12:20 PM

Off-topic but the depiction of Nicky Arnstein's compulsive gambling addiction as played by Omar Sharif is very good.

Seriously. The screenplay, and Sharif, really captures the insanity and helplessness of gambling addiction

by Anonymousreply 384April 24, 2021 1:25 PM

R384 That’s interesting. I think I’m due for a re-watch and I will look for this. I’m always so busy watching Barbra that it’s hard to notice anything else.

by Anonymousreply 385April 24, 2021 1:30 PM

r385, thanks.

The scenes are brief, but effective, especially, when it's Fanny's Opening Night of her new show ( she's already a big star) and Arnstein cannot resist sitting in on the poker game ( even his friend is trying to dissuade him) and his addiction fools him onto thinking it'll be just a few hands of cards, and then....several hours later...

Also, the scenes of the desperation of debt and then his embezzlement crimes.

Very accurate.

by Anonymousreply 386April 24, 2021 1:36 PM

Streisand has mentioned Joni James as a singer she LISTEN TO, not an influence and certainly not a big influence on her singing. Babs was not going to be a singer then, she was going to be an actress. Singing was the only job she could get early on. Streisand also listened to Johnny Mathis incessantly, would you say she sounds like him too?

I saw Joni on Joe Franklin Show in the 1970s, and he mentioned what Streisand had said. Joni said she thought is was "cute."

by Anonymousreply 387April 24, 2021 1:57 PM

Actually Barbra Streisand and Johnny Mathis have quite similar vocal abilities and musical tastes. A little over emotive. I would say that Mathis is a better singer than Streisand. The both love a modulation, complex, long vocal lines and eye popping sustained notes to finish on. Count how long Mathis holds the final note of this song, it's astounding! And though he is more humble than Streisand, he knows very well how good he is. He shows off his style and ability without dismantling the song. The same can't be said of Streisand. They both have unique and beautiful resonance and signature vibratos.

Mathis's famous West Side Story Medley is more beautiful and difficult singing than Streisand ever attempted in her life. He sang it a hundred times a year, for years. LIVE. Barbra is a studio singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388April 24, 2021 2:16 PM

And Johnny Mathis was greatly influenced as a singer by Lena Horne:

"I wanted to be her. I wanted to tell her...how much I worshiped her. She got annoyed with me, I don't blame her. I thought nobody could appreciate her as much as I did. I'm afraid I made a fool of myself...and she treated me as a naughty little child."

by Anonymousreply 389April 24, 2021 2:25 PM

Joni James was no Joanie Sommers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390April 24, 2021 2:41 PM

I forgot all about Joanie Sommers.

by Anonymousreply 391April 24, 2021 2:49 PM

R390 Mrs. Steele, did you know Joanie had a big hit in 1960 with “One Boy” from Bye Bye Birdie, containing the line “one boy to laugh with, to joke with, have Coke with”?

by Anonymousreply 392April 24, 2021 2:53 PM

R389, Similar to Michael Jackson's idolatry of Diana Ross.

by Anonymousreply 393April 24, 2021 3:31 PM

The new title song they wrote for the film was so bland and awful. They got rid of the beautiful songs "Who Are You Now?" and "The Music That Makes Me Dance" to give us the forgettable tedium of "Funny Girl" and the rehash of "My Man" from a previous album. Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 394April 24, 2021 3:41 PM

R394 Agree, "Funny Girl" is an awful song.

Did Barbra ever sing "Who Are You Now" in concert?

by Anonymousreply 395April 24, 2021 3:47 PM

People who only know the Funny Girl soundtrack, I highly recommend the original Broadway cast album. It's spontaneous and fun, recorded I believe the weekend after the opening and released a week later. It has a few better songs as has been mentioned, and Streisand's young voice is better too. She hates it, probably because it's spontaneous and not over produced.

by Anonymousreply 396April 24, 2021 4:05 PM

R396 What's up with her voice cracking at the end of "Parade," though? Is it indeed a crack or some wild flourish? If it's a flaw, I'm surprised Miss Perfectionist let it stand.

by Anonymousreply 397April 24, 2021 4:10 PM

[quote]Did Barbra ever sing "Who Are You Now" in concert?

I sang it often in concert, and I even played Fanny!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398April 24, 2021 4:32 PM

[quote]Streisand has mentioned Joni James as a singer she LISTEN TO, not an influence and certainly not a big influence on her singing.

It is pretty well established that early Streisand emulated Joni James' style. A listen proves that. BTW: see post R360.

Re: Mathis: if Barbra could at times be tacky and self indulgent, Mathis could be even more so. But wonderful all the same. I can understand how Babs would be influenced by his style as well.

by Anonymousreply 399April 24, 2021 4:36 PM

Miss Cook at R398, when you played Fanny, were the lyrics changed to "If A Girl Isn't Skinny"?

by Anonymousreply 400April 24, 2021 4:39 PM

The late, great Laurie Beechman could have starred in a Funny Girl Revival.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401April 24, 2021 4:45 PM

[quote]Miss Cook at R398, when you played Fanny, were the lyrics changed to "If A Girl Isn't Skinny"?

No, to "If a Girl Isn't Jewish."

by Anonymousreply 402April 24, 2021 4:57 PM

How did the very Gentile Barbara Cook get cast as the very Jewish Fanny Brice? It would be like casting Streisand as Marian the Librarian. Or as Maria in TSOM.

by Anonymousreply 403April 24, 2021 5:04 PM

Even more than Dreamgirls, Funny Girl has major 2nd act problems.

by Anonymousreply 404April 24, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote]Why was FUNNY LADY such a huge hit at the box office?

It certainly did very well, being #7 at the box office that year as people have posted, but it was not "such a huge hit": it did $19 million in box office gross rentals, but the #2 film, ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEXT, did three times that box office that year. And the #1 film, JAWS, did [italic]six[/italic] times that. THOSE films (especially JAWS) were bona fide "huge hits."

Let's tone down the hyperbole (which always erupts on threads about Streisand).

by Anonymousreply 405April 24, 2021 5:58 PM

r405 The 19 million is the net rentals in the US and Canada and does not include worldwide figures.

The net is what is returned to the studio (Columbia) after theater's playing the film have taken their cut. The actual US/Canada gross was more than double that. In light of the fact that the film was not roadshown as "Funny Girl" was (at higher reserved seat prices), it was a notable success for its time and in light of the kind of titles that were bringing in the big bucks.

"Box office: The film opened Wednesday, March 12, 1975 and grossed $2,254,3851 in its first five days from 111 theatres to be number one at the US box office. It went on to gross $40,055,897 at the U.S. and Canadian box office, making it the seventh highest grossing picture of 1975."

by Anonymousreply 406April 24, 2021 6:06 PM

^ It's vulgar as fuck, Streizand on Steroids. Barbaric is the only actress in history to make Bob Mackie look bad. AND she oversings EVERYTHING in UnFUNNY LADY. Terrible film.

by Anonymousreply 407April 24, 2021 6:08 PM

The ultimate Rose...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408April 24, 2021 6:08 PM

Bob Mackie dressed Streisand as a drag queen in Funny Lady. The aquacade number is even less funny than the Swan Lake parody in FG which is saying something.

Irene Sharaff did only Streisand's clothes in the film of Funny Girl. The rest of the production was Gene Allen. And if you see pictures of the original costumes of the Follies no way would they have worked in a big musical that needed to be a huge popular success in '68. As for hair I assume more contemporary styles are used to make the characters more relatable to audiences of the the current era when the film comes out. And they don't look dated until that era passes. These hair stylists were not stupid people. There was a Playboy piece that came out when the film did showing some of the showgirls in the His Love Makes Me Beautiful number topless.

Sharaff did Streisand's clothes for the the stage version of Funny Girl, then the film, then Hello Dolly. This woman had dressed the biggest star for decades. For her to refuse further work with Streisand means that Babs had turned into quite the monster. Sharaff herself was impossibly demanding(look at her work) but she was known as a decent human being.

by Anonymousreply 409April 24, 2021 6:29 PM

I don’t understand why filmmakers don’t strive for the utmost visual authenticity for a period piece. That way the film has a sort of timelessness, the way Chinatown does.

by Anonymousreply 410April 24, 2021 6:31 PM

R369, you can't really blame Grant for not wanting to work with the notoriously unstable Garland. He was a perfectionist and prided himself on his professionalism: Working with Judy would have driven him crazy. Also, by the early 50s the former Archie Leach had perfected the suave Cary Grant persona, and he was reluctant to risk playing a broken-down alcoholic.

Had he put up with Judy and dug into the role of Norman Maine, he probably would have won an Oscar. But Grant was increasingly risk-shy as he got older. He was more concerned with having his contractual demands met than playing meaty roles. The result was he died a rich old man, but he missed out on a lot of great films, including ASIB, Sabrina, the first Bond, etc.

by Anonymousreply 411April 24, 2021 6:32 PM

Everything was beautiful...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412April 24, 2021 6:33 PM

If I recall correctly, r409, Sharaff said one of the problems she had with Barbra was her habit of adding/adjusting her boob pads.

by Anonymousreply 413April 24, 2021 6:39 PM

When "Funny Girl" opened in Boston in 1968, it played at all three of the screens at the upscale Cheri Theater complex in Back Bay at reserved seating.

by Anonymousreply 414April 24, 2021 6:42 PM

Period accuracy was eschewed a lot of the time to make period pieces fell more contemporary, r410, or to make the costumes more cinematic (i.e. Plunkett's GWTW hoopskirts were larger in scale than the actual period ones). Modern designers make more of an attempt to be true to period. I remember when Barry Lyndon came out, an instructor of mine was bowled over by the costumes, but ranted about how contemporary Berenson's make-up was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415April 24, 2021 6:52 PM

R399, nothing has been pretty well established, it's a matter of opinion.

[quote]Bob Mackie dressed Streisand as a drag queen in Funny Lady

Totally agree, and with everything you said about the contemporary hair and clothes.

The best thing I can say about Funny Lady is it's about clothes, change after change after change. Not that I like the clothes or think Streisand looks good in them. The same thing with the 1974 version of The Great Gatsby, it's about clothes, there's not much else there.

R397, Streisand was a 21 year old becoming a star, she didn't have the clout to demand re-takes. If she did, she'd probably scrap the entire album.

by Anonymousreply 416April 24, 2021 6:56 PM

Barbra Streisand's Deleted Scenes from 'ALL NIGHT LONG'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417April 24, 2021 7:18 PM

R416 Yes, but that crack was so outrageous. It was worthy of a retake, unless they all decided it sounded cool. She didn’t stop holding the note. But again, was it an intentional vocal flourish? Certainly very unusual. I’ve wondered about this for decades…

by Anonymousreply 418April 24, 2021 7:24 PM

The crack or flourish or whatever it was is at 2:30. Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419April 24, 2021 7:31 PM

Lillias White can SING that song with actual vocal flourishes R419.

Streisand's voice cracks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420April 24, 2021 7:35 PM

It does sound like a hiccup, doesn't it, r419?

by Anonymousreply 421April 24, 2021 7:37 PM

I like Cornet Man from the Broadway show, dropped for the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422April 24, 2021 7:39 PM

R421 It’s bizarre! But strangely beautiful. Only Babs could make a crack sound good.

by Anonymousreply 423April 24, 2021 7:41 PM

I believe the woman who designed the costumes for Barry Lyndon won an Oscar. She also did the costumes for Marie Antoinette. She cretated 200 amazing dresses just for Marie. She reused a hat from Barry Lyndon in Marie.

by Anonymousreply 424April 24, 2021 7:42 PM

William Wyler talks about FG in this documentary. Starts at 7.03.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425April 24, 2021 7:45 PM

R424 Thirty years apart? The Sofia Coppola movie?

by Anonymousreply 426April 24, 2021 8:20 PM

I didn't find it beautiful, r423.

by Anonymousreply 427April 24, 2021 8:21 PM

[quote] In light of the fact that the film was not roadshown as "Funny Girl" was (at higher reserved seat prices), it was a notable success for its time and in light of the kind of titles that were bringing in the big bucks.

"Notable success"? Absolutely.

"Huge hit"? No.

by Anonymousreply 428April 24, 2021 8:24 PM

Whaddya know, r424, that particular instructor got her degree from U of T.

by Anonymousreply 429April 24, 2021 8:28 PM

"Willie knew when it was right, he was wondaful!"

by Anonymousreply 430April 24, 2021 10:19 PM

Willie had excellent taste.

John Huston said so in that very short video at R425

by Anonymousreply 431April 24, 2021 10:27 PM

Oh good fucking lord. William Wyler was one of the greatest directors who ever lived. Check out his important films. Funny Girl had Barbaric Streizand as a backseat driver. All that fucking singing. Oy.

by Anonymousreply 432April 24, 2021 10:30 PM

Bette Davis adored William Wyler, said he was the love of her life.

by Anonymousreply 433April 24, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote]The rest of the production was Gene Allen.

Wasn't Allen an Art Director that worked with George Cukor on Star and My Fair Lady?

by Anonymousreply 434April 24, 2021 10:39 PM

I think he was a long time collaborator. He was certainly on the never completed Something's Got to Give because he is interviewed in the documentary on it.

by Anonymousreply 435April 24, 2021 10:42 PM

R424

Believe you are referring to Milena Canonero

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436April 24, 2021 10:49 PM

Allen spoke at a Los Angeles based Marilyn Monroe fan club. I was there that night.

by Anonymousreply 437April 24, 2021 10:52 PM

Yes, thank you....

by Anonymousreply 438April 24, 2021 10:53 PM

[Quote] The late, great Laurie Beechman could have starred in a Funny Girl Revival.

As a corpse?

by Anonymousreply 439April 24, 2021 11:19 PM

Ah, the wit of R439. Oh dear! That ancient white fag grammar troll corpse - recognizes corpses. Fan of the barbaric streizand, no doubt. What more can she get?

by Anonymousreply 440April 24, 2021 11:24 PM

Speaking of "A Star Is Born," TCM is showing three of the four most recent versions (Gaynor-Garland-Streisand) back-to-back as part of the "31 Days of Oscar" event. Starts at 6PM (EDT) on Monday. Compare and contrast.

by Anonymousreply 441April 24, 2021 11:29 PM

Notice TCM is not devoting their programming to Barbra Streisand on her birthday today? She must be PISSED!

by Anonymousreply 442April 24, 2021 11:36 PM

Those aren't the three most recent, r441.

by Anonymousreply 443April 24, 2021 11:37 PM

We don't count the willam version.

by Anonymousreply 444April 24, 2021 11:42 PM

Willam version?

by Anonymousreply 445April 24, 2021 11:46 PM

Babs had a pretty good film career. The highlights are:

Funny Girl

The Way We Were

Yentl

The rest aren’t terrible and are generally entertaining

by Anonymousreply 446April 25, 2021 12:06 AM

GOD help us, R446.

Get rid of Yentl and replace it with What's up Doc!

by Anonymousreply 447April 25, 2021 12:13 AM

R447 Can I get an AMEN

by Anonymousreply 448April 25, 2021 12:42 AM

Three films. One of them total garbage. None of them classic. How is that a pretty good film career R446?

Streisand made mostly bad to terrible films. She's such an egotist that they can't even be called mediocre. Some of them were popular. More are laughable. Funny Girl is the only film that she'll be remembered for. Because she sings. And sings. She must have seemed original the first time. Still most people can't stand her constant posing and even how many times she sings and poses in that one!

Somebody was fucking her right during What's up Doc. Because she's not bad at all and seems almost like a human. Funny Girl is what it is. And that's not small. A grand debut. But not a great movie. The Way We Were is not bad Goy Dreck. And that is all Streizand ever aspired to be, forever after.

She can't have a best movie. She never was in a great movie.

Her singing in Yentl is divine. But it's just another tug boat back home in immigrant chic for Babs.

Lost the plot was invented for egotists. Babaric Streusel.

by Anonymousreply 449April 25, 2021 12:44 AM

I have never seen Yentl, nor have I any desire to.

by Anonymousreply 450April 25, 2021 1:03 AM

"Barbaric Streisand" just gets funnier and funnier each time I see it.

by Anonymousreply 451April 25, 2021 1:06 AM

Ha, it's true. Barabas Streizand. She sold out everything. A defiantly jewish woman who made A career AND life out of being seen to be desired and fucked by the best looking WASPS in the business. Would a convent take a jewish girl? Too bad she couldn't sing and had to show her ASS so often.

by Anonymousreply 452April 25, 2021 1:16 AM

NO RELIGION, R448

by Anonymousreply 453April 25, 2021 1:40 AM

I love Hello Dolly and can watch it a million times. It always makes me happy.

by Anonymousreply 454April 25, 2021 2:27 AM

I love Hello Dolly too! I saw it as a kid and had no understanding of how miscast Babs was— but who cares!? It’s funny and she sings the fuck out of the score!

by Anonymousreply 455April 25, 2021 2:47 AM

I will confess that I love A Star is Born.

by Anonymousreply 456April 25, 2021 2:48 AM

It was Gene Callahan not Gene Allen. I'm an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 457April 25, 2021 2:59 AM

R419, the “crack” gives the song more immediacy and emotion. It was done in purpose.

by Anonymousreply 458April 25, 2021 3:01 AM

R420, that’s an amazing version of the song. White is a stunning songstress.

The jazzification assumes everyone knows the original version though.

by Anonymousreply 459April 25, 2021 3:02 AM

Nobody mentions that on the soundtrack album a different take is used for I'm the Greatest Star. She makes a wrong entrance and has to stop herself. This can be expected on an obc recording like Hello Dolly where they didn't have the time to correct it but on a soundtrack recording it is very strange.

by Anonymousreply 460April 25, 2021 3:21 AM

[quote]the “crack” gives the song more immediacy and emotion. It was done in purpose.

If it wasn't intentional, or if it was, as Bob Ross would say, a "happy accident" that they decided to leave in, it does seem odd that they wouldn't have wanted Babs to do another take.

by Anonymousreply 461April 25, 2021 3:26 AM

R460, I just listened to the soundtrack version and don’t hear any wrong entrance in that song

by Anonymousreply 462April 25, 2021 3:30 AM

It's on the LP. Did they fix it on the cd?

by Anonymousreply 463April 25, 2021 4:10 AM

R460, 0n the FOLLIES OCR, Alexis comes in too early on "Waiting for the Girls Upstairs".

by Anonymousreply 464April 25, 2021 4:39 AM

R446. Add these to Barbra's movie highlights:

NUTS

What's Up Doc

The Owl and The Pussycat

The Main Event

A Star is Born

The Prince of Tides

The Mirror Has Two Faces

And yes...Yentl

by Anonymousreply 465April 25, 2021 5:37 AM

Don't forget Meet the Fockers R465! Another masterpiece from B.S.

by Anonymousreply 466April 25, 2021 5:46 AM

I’m pretty sure that’s the first time that Nuts and The Main Event have ever been listed as career “highlights” for Babs.

Up the Sandbox is a very flawed movie, but Streisand does some of her finest work in it. Pauline Kael raved about her performance.

by Anonymousreply 467April 25, 2021 8:12 AM

So the "crack" has never been addressed by Herself? Can no Barbralogist confirm?

by Anonymousreply 468April 25, 2021 12:02 PM

R462 I'm not sure what is being referred to here. I tend to notice these things (I'm the "crack" obsessive) but I wore out the soundtrack LP long ago and never noticed anything amiss.

by Anonymousreply 469April 25, 2021 12:05 PM

I hope you're joking R465.

FUN STORY:

Streisand had approval of the Funny Girl soundtrack album. In 1968 she was in her Hello Dolly trailer listening to the FG soundtrack on the portable phonograph. Something was wrong with the sound, and frantic Babs gets on the phone with Columbia Records in New York yelling her concerns about the defective sound on the record. Columbia flies an A&R rep to California to investigate. A&R guy listens to her copy of the FG soundtrack and realizes that the phonograph is not level. He puts a pack of cigarettes under one of the legs. Mission accomplished, he flies back to New York. Ah, to be a star and have the world at your beck and call.

This is from the very good Sean Considine book of 1986. Streisand hated it.

by Anonymousreply 470April 25, 2021 2:45 PM

R59, nobody involved in The Owl and The Pussycat should consider it their best work. It is unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 471April 25, 2021 4:24 PM

I'm not a fan of the OBC recording of FUNNY GIRL. Capitol recorded it (they put money in the show) and it sounds tinny and harsh unlke the beautiful lush sound of Columbia cast albums.

by Anonymousreply 472April 25, 2021 4:36 PM

R131, if it’s complexity you want then you need to see NUTS!

by Anonymousreply 473April 25, 2021 4:39 PM

Many gays of a certain age are very fond of "What's Up, Doc." They saw it at an impressionable age and think of it fondly as one of the most hilarious films they have ever seen. It is not that good of a movie once you get past those warm memories. Also, stop calling her "Babe"! She hates that.

by Anonymousreply 474April 25, 2021 4:42 PM

"What's Up Doc" holds up. I've re-watched many a time, including recently with my 20something nephew, who liked it well enough.

I still do my Madeline Kahn impression whenever I have to enter a questionable-looking place: "Hello....hellooooo?"

by Anonymousreply 475April 25, 2021 4:49 PM

What's Up Doc bloopers...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476April 25, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote]Many gays of a certain age are very fond of "What's Up, Doc."

Actually many MEN of all stripes find What's up Doc hilarious to this day, regardless of how old they were when they first saw it. That's because it doesn't have any weepy-girly stuff, and because Streisand has been toned down considerably. They can't digest Streisand in other movies, too loud and screechy, aggressive, scary, and..... she sings.

by Anonymousreply 477April 25, 2021 7:26 PM

The entire cast is delightful. And it moves fast.

by Anonymousreply 478April 25, 2021 7:29 PM

R476 That hairstyle is SO unflattering for her big nose!

by Anonymousreply 479April 25, 2021 7:35 PM

Its one of Barbras funniest and most beguiling performances.....but Kahn steals ever scene she is in.

by Anonymousreply 480April 26, 2021 1:24 AM

^ in FUNNY GIRL?

by Anonymousreply 481April 26, 2021 1:51 AM

No that was Anne Francis.

by Anonymousreply 482April 26, 2021 1:44 PM

[quote]It would be like casting Streisand as Marian the Librarian. Or as Maria in TSOM.

Or Streisand as Dolly Levi née Gallagher.

by Anonymousreply 483April 26, 2021 4:05 PM

[quote]Or Streisand as Dolly Levi née Gallagher.

In the movie, she's simply Dolly Levi. The "nee Gallagher" was dropped.

by Anonymousreply 484April 26, 2021 5:28 PM

Is that all there is?

by Anonymousreply 485April 26, 2021 10:20 PM

Why did Peggy dislike Barbra?

by Anonymousreply 486April 26, 2021 10:26 PM

For having been put in a small side room while Streisand opened the big one in Las Vegas 1969, same hotel. The MGM which was then called The International. This is one reason, don't know the others.

by Anonymousreply 487April 26, 2021 10:45 PM

Was that the Vegas show that Elvis watched before allegedly declaring "she sucks," and leaving with his entourage?

by Anonymousreply 488April 26, 2021 11:02 PM

Yeah, and long after, Jon Peters made up a story that Babs and Elvis did it over nail polish.

by Anonymousreply 489April 26, 2021 11:21 PM

[quote] Why did Peggy dislike Barbra?

R46 Peggy was jealous of Barbra because she was younger and skinnier but had a bigger diaphragm.

by Anonymousreply 490April 27, 2021 12:03 AM

Yentl is nowhere near as good as people seem to claim it is.

by Anonymousreply 491April 27, 2021 7:16 PM

[quote]The MGM which was then called The International. This is one reason, don't know the others.

The International became the Las Vegas Hilton, and then Westgate. Never MGM.

by Anonymousreply 492April 27, 2021 7:23 PM

R491, Kiss my kosher ass.

by Anonymousreply 493April 27, 2021 7:35 PM

To me personally, I think Barbra captures the essence of Fanny Brice best in "Funny Lady" when she performs "Blind Date" and "I've Got a Cold in My Nose". Her performance of these Kander and Ebb numbers has the kind of humor that Fanny seemed to exude in audio and video clips I've seen of her. They're the best moments in the film.

by Anonymousreply 494April 28, 2021 2:18 PM

Did Babs eve keep kosher? She eats lobsters in Funny Girl. It must have upset a lot of people when the film opened.

by Anonymousreply 495April 28, 2021 2:35 PM

R494, I don’t even remember those numbers, unfortunately

by Anonymousreply 496April 28, 2021 2:38 PM

R26 I remember them, they were fun.

by Anonymousreply 497April 28, 2021 2:44 PM

Maybe I'll become a nun.

DAT'S impossible.

by Anonymousreply 498April 28, 2021 2:50 PM

"Even if he's Lon Chaney....fat, bald or short or tall....."

by Anonymousreply 499April 28, 2021 2:58 PM

[quote]Kiss my kosher ass.

I didn't realize ham was kosher.

by Anonymousreply 500April 28, 2021 3:18 PM

[quote]Barbra captures the essence of Fanny Brice best in "Funny Lady"

That's nice...what you forget is that Funny Girl is not about Fanny Brice, it's about Barbra Streisand

by Anonymousreply 501April 28, 2021 3:50 PM

So if Mary Martin or Anne Bancroft had done the role would it have been more about Brice?

by Anonymousreply 502April 28, 2021 7:35 PM

Probably not, R502. Mary Martin was a grand star of the musical theater (South Pacific, The Sound of Music), and Anne Bancroft was a Tony winner AND and Oscar winner (The Miracle Worker). There may have been more Brice than in the Streisand version...and they may have closed out of town. The reason Funny Girl became The Barbra Streisand Show was because it was a mess, and Jerome Robbins came back as unofficial director. Robbins threw out a load of scenes and songs to make Streisand the focal point.

by Anonymousreply 503April 28, 2021 10:07 PM

Funny Girl became The Barbra Streisand Show.

Like Fania Borach became Fannie Brice.

by Anonymousreply 504April 29, 2021 1:18 AM

What's this love affair with Fanny Brice about????

by Anonymousreply 505April 29, 2021 1:23 AM

Barbaric Streizand was also a dated bore. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 506April 29, 2021 1:24 AM

I have two plaques on the cenotaph at Westwood Cemetery where Marilyn is buried among the many others. I'm roughly fifteen feet from Brice's ashes which the Starks had relocated to their $400,000 plot. I knew the saleswoman who got the 10% commission on the sale.

by Anonymousreply 507April 29, 2021 1:29 AM

Fanny Brice used a brand of 'comedy' that would be shunned today.

by Anonymousreply 508April 29, 2021 1:32 AM

Fanny Brice was a dated old broad in 1950. Yet you boys wanted her revived in the 1960s. OY.

by Anonymousreply 509April 29, 2021 1:43 AM

Fanny Brice was what we would call "visually-challenged' so she was obliged to sing comic songs.

'Rose of Washington Square' was written for her. The character of Rose has a large nose and wears second-hand clothes. The lyrics say "my turned up nose seems to please artistic people".

by Anonymousreply 510April 29, 2021 1:49 AM

Lauren Bacall wrote in "By Myself" that Katharine Hepburn and Fanny Brice were dear friends.

When word of her death reached "The African Queen" location, Bacall said Hepburn was bereft.

by Anonymousreply 511April 29, 2021 1:56 AM

Fanny Brice made only a few movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512April 29, 2021 1:59 AM

There is a great story about Hepburn and Brice.

The two ladies were at a party and Kate explained to Fanny what Communism was. "You see, Fanny - everyone shares."

Fanny: "Forget it. I'm not sharing my jewelry."

I can see Streisand saying that :-)

by Anonymousreply 513April 29, 2021 3:00 AM

Streizand is the poster child for a limousine liberal. Still going on about nucular winters when the world is in flames of racial strife and vast poverty divide. WALLS!! Sometimes she mentions Bella Abzug. Yes equal pay Babs. Ladies should charge by the note. Just like you. 🎶 🙄

Barbra Streusel doesn't like to wear diamonds, but you can bet her peasant ASS that she hoards them.

"You can't persuade her with gun or lariat to come across for the proletariat."

by Anonymousreply 514April 29, 2021 3:26 AM

[quote] a limousine liberal.

Champagne socialist

by Anonymousreply 515April 29, 2021 3:43 AM

Babs really isn't much of an entity anymore, except to elder gays and elder jews. No one younger has any clue about her history and output.

She's just a "legend" awards shows will soon trot out to give the "Best Song" or "Best Movie" award.

by Anonymousreply 516April 29, 2021 3:45 AM

True R516. But there are legends who still matter to people. Dolly Parton is adored beyond reason. I know, cuz I do too. Jane Fonda. Cher and Bette to a more normal extent. Oprah. Celine. Aretha always was greeted as a queen, even when she sang badly. But Streisand... her work is forgotten and nobody has any sentiment toward her presence. She never wanted to please anyone. She's a cold egotistical not very musical voice of your parents or grandparents generation. And they don't like her either. True. Streizand is unlikeable. Not because she is a successful woman in show business who insists on perfection. Not because she is Jewish. Not because she is ridiculous or rich.

Because she has an extremely unlikeable personality. The end. What's to like? She's a humorless asshole. She gave NOTHING to anyone in life without reminding them they were lucky to receive it, or telling them how much it cost. She's tacky and rude. A once pretty voice, on record.

by Anonymousreply 517April 29, 2021 4:07 AM

One gets the impression her mother was exactly like this.

by Anonymousreply 518April 29, 2021 4:15 AM

[quote]Fanny Brice made only a few movies.

From "Everybody Song," Fanny Brice, as Baby Snooks, does a rather excruciating routine with Judy Garland. Some of the dialogue, "A girl's a girl and a boy's a boy," would seem to be at odds with 21st-century notions about gender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519April 29, 2021 4:28 AM

^^ Sorry, the movie title is "Everybody Sing." Darn that autocorrect. ^^

by Anonymousreply 520April 29, 2021 4:29 AM

R519 Fania Borach AKA Fannie Brand AKA Fannie Brice was no beauty.

by Anonymousreply 521April 29, 2021 4:42 AM

Her comedy seems dated now, but Fanny was a superstar in her day, first from live performances and later radio. Like many great stage performers (Merman, Martin, Lawrence) she never really took to the movies. By the 1960s I think her legend was waning, so it made sense that her daughter and son-in-law decided to burnish her memory with a new Broadway musical. They were damn lucky to have found Streisand, otherwise who knows if anyone today would remember Fanny Brice.

by Anonymousreply 522April 29, 2021 8:47 AM

[quote] she never really took to the movies

No, the movies never took to her.

by Anonymousreply 523April 29, 2021 9:03 AM

[quote]She never wanted to please anyone. She's a cold egotistical not very musical voice of your parents or grandparents generation.

And you say Streisand had nothing in common with Lena Horne?

by Anonymousreply 524April 29, 2021 12:56 PM

Bette Midler would have made a better Fanny a few years later.

by Anonymousreply 525April 29, 2021 4:40 PM

Brice like Al Jolson and Rudy Valle were superstars in their day but what made them stars in the teens and 20s in no way translates to today's audiences. Though I have to say as much as I dislike Jolson his singing scenes in The Jazz Singer are electrifying due in great part to the rest of the movie being silent so he just about explodes when the sound kicks in. And Vallee gave a couple of good performances in movies such as How to Succeed and Palm Beach Story.

by Anonymousreply 526April 29, 2021 9:04 PM

"Blind Date" - sorry no video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527April 30, 2021 7:16 PM

[quote]Brice like Al Jolson and Rudy Valle were superstars in their day but what made them stars in the teens and 20s in no way translates to today's audiences.

They didn't translate to audiences in 1964 either.

by Anonymousreply 528April 30, 2021 8:54 PM

Well to be fair there were many people still alive in '64 who enjoyed them in their youth and a large group of people still knew who they were which is how Brice got her own musical and Vallee got a sensationally staged entrance in How to Succeed. Don't they still keep it in even though it makes no sense? I think I remember it being used in the Broderick revival.

by Anonymousreply 529April 30, 2021 9:03 PM

Valle was very smart about his career - moving from crooner to popular character actor. His Fleischmann Hour radio broadcasts of the early 1930s was notable for always mentioning the composers of the songs performed.

by Anonymousreply 530April 30, 2021 10:47 PM

Years ago, Lucie Arnaz was a guest on Howard Stern to promote that documentary she made about her parents.

Stern asked her which guest stars on the "Here's Lucy" series were the biggest assholes.

She mentioned only one, Rudy Vallee.

by Anonymousreply 531April 30, 2021 11:22 PM

^ I wonder why?

He was dead and couldn't sue for defamation

by Anonymousreply 532April 30, 2021 11:26 PM

Rudy, darling R532, one cannot sue for defamation when one calls you an asshole. Even if you're fucking ALIVE.

by Anonymousreply 533May 1, 2021 12:18 AM

Even Babs Streusel was old fashioned in 1964. Popular, with old jews and swooning gays. Always her gay fans were older than Barbra. (She did look good there in Central Park. For a 45 year old.) Which makes the 1,342 of you about 85 years old! Mazel.

by Anonymousreply 534May 1, 2021 3:41 AM

Streisand was as big as you could get in the pop realm in the 60s. And Funny Girl was one of the biggest films of the decade. How do you call that old fashioned? She was of her time and a huge star. It would be like saying Betty Grable was old fashioned in the 40s because she appeared in period films.

by Anonymousreply 535May 1, 2021 3:50 AM

But we were bigger than Barbra AND Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 536May 1, 2021 4:37 AM

R536, Coukd I get another autograph, Mr. Lennon?

by Anonymousreply 537May 1, 2021 4:43 AM

I just watched a few videos of Lea Michele on YouTube. She copies Babs moment by moment every time she sings one of Babs’ songs.

No, she is no Babs but every freaking Jewish gal from Long Island thinks she’s the next Babs

by Anonymousreply 538May 1, 2021 3:31 PM

Streisand was also very popular with teenagers in the 1960s. It was her differentness and rebellious attitude that attracted them as much or more than her singing. It sound absurd today, but at one point early on true. You had to be there.

Get a load of this 1965 NYT article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539May 1, 2021 3:37 PM

All ugly women in showbiz were called "kooky." Streisand qualified.

by Anonymousreply 540May 2, 2021 2:20 AM

Many forget that Streisand was replaced on Broadway by Mimi Hines.

by Anonymousreply 541May 2, 2021 3:50 AM

Well Barbara Cook must have been interesting. I wonder if there is a tape of that somewhere. Didn't she do Who Are You Now in her act? I would very much like to hear her doing the entire score.

by Anonymousreply 542May 2, 2021 6:54 PM

R542, no one mentioned Barbara Cook.

by Anonymousreply 543May 2, 2021 7:03 PM

She's mentioned earlier in the thread if you had bothered to read it. So if you can't be bothered don't open your mouth and reveal your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 544May 3, 2021 2:26 PM

[quote]She's mentioned earlier in the thread if you had bothered to read it. So if you can't be bothered don't open your mouth and reveal your stupidity.

Patty Lupone confesses to only reading her part of the script in every production. I, like her, don't care what other people have said, just let me dump my pearl and go without some bitter Betty calling me out.

by Anonymousreply 545May 3, 2021 5:27 PM

Why didn't Streisand play Eliza Doolittle?

Instead of "Wouldn't it be loverly?" it would be "Ya know what I mean?

by Anonymousreply 546May 3, 2021 6:00 PM

"Patty Lupone"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 547May 3, 2021 6:05 PM

Are there any other musical roles that are more identified with a performer than Streisand for Funny Girl, Robert Preston for Music Man, or Rex Harrison for My Fair Lady...and all because they got to make the movie versions? In its time, everyone said that no one could top Merman in Gypsy, but lots of other actresses have won acclaim in that role. Same with My Fair Lady and Hello, Dolly! I guess since Mame hasn't had a major revival, Angie still has that role, but if there's ever a good revival someone else could claim it, too.

Streisand was wise to sell her soul to Ray Stark to get the movie of Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 548May 3, 2021 6:21 PM

[quote]Patty Lupone confesses to only reading her part of the script in every production

MISS Barbara Stanwyck claimed to have MEMORIZED every script of every movie and TV show before she acted in it!

by Anonymousreply 549May 3, 2021 8:38 PM

^And yet, she STILL did The Colbys.

by Anonymousreply 550May 3, 2021 9:25 PM

But I wonder if Babs had called his bluff would he have really wildly miscast it with MacLaine in the role or Edie Gorme? Who else could have done it? A dubbed Elizabeth Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 551May 3, 2021 9:31 PM

Eydie had the pipes.

by Anonymousreply 552May 3, 2021 10:03 PM

R550, She left after the first season.

by Anonymousreply 553May 3, 2021 10:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!