Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Warby Parker and other “cheap” glasses places

Has anyone ordered glasses from Warby Parker? After years of my local eyeglass shops only carrying frames for conservative old people, I am thinking about some glasses from Warby Parker because they actually have frames for people under 40. I’m also looking at Zenni (hey, $19.95 for glasses) and other online outlets.

Why pay $225+ for a pair of glasses from a local shop that would look dated in 2005?

Any other websites that are good that I may not know about? Let me hear your horror stories or praises.

by Anonymousreply 87September 23, 2021 9:15 AM

Fetch is great. I've bought 4 pairs (glasses, readers after LASIK,, sunglasses) with no problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2021 5:13 AM

Glasses USA has the best variety and inexpensive.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2021 5:15 AM

I’ve used Firmoo several times. Coastal, too.

Warby Parker glasses all look the same to me.

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2021 5:19 AM

Warby Parker isn't that cheap.

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2021 5:19 AM

I’ve bought from Fetch & Warby and had good luck with both, although I have them within walking distance of my office so was able to try them on before buying. I know Warby has try at home online, not sure about Fetch. I like that Fetch donates to animal shelters.

I’ve bought several from Glasses USA and LensCrafters over the years. They have a decent selection of affordable and designer names.

Haven’t bought from Zenni, but has a friend who buys a lot from them and raves about the low prices.

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2021 5:20 AM

Fetch has try-at-home.

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2021 5:21 AM

Warby Parker is cheap plastic. Most are too narrow hipster frames that won’t fit your face. I have a pair that keeps sliding down because they don’t have nose pads. I made it stay on my face by twisting one of the arms at an angle. It’s fine for my purposes since I only wear them when I take my contacts out.

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2021 5:23 AM

Wait, Fetch donates 100% of profits? What’s the point of running the company then?

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2021 5:24 AM

They’re $95-125 R4

I’ve bought mine from Fetch out of pocket for $175, which isn’t bad, so if you’re using an insurance benefit it’ll be even less.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2021 5:25 AM

Zenni. They have a few selections at their $6.95 entry point that are extraordinary values. I've bought (and then bought several more as spares) the "Rectangle Glasses 411512" that are stainless steel metal frames with polycarbonate lenses. I'm still on the original pair, which is about 2 years old, and I'm pretty rough on glasses. The frame is durable and the lenses scratch free. You pay a small shipping charge on top of the $6.95 per pair.

How do they do it? Zenni is the US arm of a large Chinese optical company, and they are certainly pricing very aggressively.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2021 5:26 AM

I’ve checked out Warby Parker several times, but I have a small head and my eyes are set close together, and they only have about three frames on the whole site I can wear. And two of them don’t suit me.

The nose bridges are all too wide. My eyes are set closely together, and one is higher than the other. I look like a Picasso. Most larger shops do have something I can wear. If you have a large head and your eyes are spaced widely apart, I’m sure you can find something there.

If you do have a narrow bridge (eyes close together), try Tory Burch frames, a lot of them have a 16 mm bridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2021 5:27 AM

I wasn’t that lucky with Warby. After going through the process (they overdo it with emails) - which included repeatedly sending humiliating pictures of my face with a credit card magnetic stripe in front of my nose bridge so they could measure pupil distance - they were never happy with any of them (it was annoying to be coached so much) so I gave up and went to my optometrist to tell them they forgot that stat. After they take care of me I decide to retry Warby (considerably cheaper than local optical shops ), and they are finally able to send me a selected pair ... only for it to be the totally wrong prescription!

They immediately noticed the mistake (someone in their staff copies it wrong) apologized profusely, made it up with kindness (though no generosity or special offers) and asked me to feel free to give them further feedback and/or more chit chats by mail, as they were still looking to improve. Oh, and just like most current online services, it’s always a different person emailing me, probably part of the reason why they still make too many mistakes, since there’s no continuity at all.

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2021 5:55 AM

Like cheap clothes, they only look good on the very, very young.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2021 6:09 AM

R12, I measured my pupillary distance on the app versus their mobile site. The mobile site requires uploading pics with the card under your chin.

Thank goodness for Apple’s 3D cameras.

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2021 6:13 AM

R13, I am 30.

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2021 6:14 AM

It's the lenses that are more expensive, IME. I always get Transitions (lenses get darker in the sun). Now that I'm getting older, I have bifocals (which cost extra) and pay even more so that there's no line. I also pay to get scratch-resistant lenses.

Why go cheap for something that's on your face and that helps you see better. JMO.

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2021 6:31 AM

Because the more expensive the glasses (especially sunglasses) the quicker you lose them.

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2021 6:59 AM

^^ Same principle applies to gloves, scarves, and umbrellas^^

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2021 7:00 AM

My friend broke my glasses because I brought up her abortion.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2021 7:00 AM

Warby Parker is "cheap?" As in "inexpensive???" What??

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2021 7:45 PM

Warby Parker is totally incompetent. After numerous screw ups at the every step of the way, I wrote them a scathing email. They comped my glasses for free, but it wasn’t worth the time or aggravation.

by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2021 9:47 PM

Warby Parker says $95 BUT the very first button you push is progressive lenses it automatically becomes $295. Zenni doesn't do that. They are great. I have spent hundreds on glasses all my life and for the first time I have five pairs of glasses. I have had zero problems with ZENNI.

by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2021 9:57 PM

Now I’m jealous, r21! No comps for me and they screwed up twice in my process.

by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2021 10:47 PM

R22 progressive lenses are always more expensive, even on Zennii. Most people don't need progressives until they are older.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2021 12:34 AM

Warby Parker's real name should be Bait & Switch

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2021 12:37 AM

[quote]progressive lenses are always more expensive, even on Zennii. Most people don't need progressives until they are older.

I can assure you Zenni doesn't charge an extra $200 for progressives.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2021 12:42 AM

There is nothing bait & switch about "starting at $95 with prescription." It doesn't matter what site you buy glasses from. There is always a base price and it goes up from there depending on what options you choose. Progressive or transition lenses are more expensive than single vision lenses (which are what the majority of people purchase).

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2021 12:42 AM

No they do not r26, but that doesn't mean WP is guilty of bait & switch. Their prices are very clear once you hit "select lenses."

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2021 12:44 AM

WP isnt that cheap. But I was happy with what I ordered. I did go into a store, figured out what I wanted, and all was fine.

I got a pair of RX Sunglasses on Zenni for cheap ... great on the beach ...

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2021 12:51 AM

Hated both my Zenni frames- and then found out you could only return for a store credit. And the lenses in one pair were off. What a dumb purchase.

by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2021 12:54 AM

No, it's like the starting price is $95 but then you get a series of "but for added protection buy the X lenses if you regularly look at a computer screen and don't want to go blind" options.

by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2021 12:54 AM

R10 ... for $7 bucks you cant beat it. I might buy a pair in blue for kicks ...

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2021 12:59 AM

I bought a nice pair of (very strong) Rx sunglasses from EyeBuyDirect for about $80 thanks to their 60% off deal for first-time buyers. That's with the highest-index (aka thinnest) lenses and the tinting. Progressive lenses would've been about $30 more.

by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2021 12:59 AM

My partner's glasses are hand made and costs 400 retail. Lenses are extra. and he always gets 2, in case one goes missing or broken somehow

by Anonymousreply 34April 22, 2021 1:08 AM

Thanks for the recommendation r33. Just ditched Fetch (taking too long going back and forth with emails, and glasses started at 145.00 - sorry animals!) and put in an order for prescription sunglasses with Polaroid thinner lenses for 95.00. It was a confusing yet faster process.

by Anonymousreply 35April 22, 2021 6:21 AM

I like Warby Parker - but there is a store 2 blocks away so it’s easy. I can’t be bothered to order and return glasses via mail. I want to try on lots of pairs and order. The only problem is the “your prescription can’t be used if it’s over 2 years old” scam. Ridiculous and infuriating - but most glass places do it. But for $95, I get lots of nice, modern glasses very easily with Warby.

by Anonymousreply 36April 22, 2021 4:00 PM

R36, here in Puerto Rico, they won’t honor any prescription that’s over ONE year old. Optometrists need to make coin I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 37April 22, 2021 11:59 PM

I have ordered single vision reading glasses from both Warby Parker and Zenni. The Warby Parker frames were nicer, but more expensive, the Zennis were cheaper, but more flimsy.

I won't order progressives online as pupil height is important to progressives, and I don't want to risk having it be off. I need to get to the eye doctor as my prescription has changed again, I believe. I'm waiting until I get vaccinated though - first shot tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2021 12:03 AM

I have ordered about 10 pairs from Zenni Optical over the past 10 years. My experience is that if you have a prescription for progressive lenses, Zenni sucks. I'm so done with them. I will probably never order from them again.

If you have standard single vision, you will have a better chance of being satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2021 12:21 AM

I've been using Warby for years but tried Coastal last year. Have ordered 3 pr from them as they are so cheap and haven't been disappointed. My last expensive pair were from a local San Francisco place and with lenses and frames, they were almost 800 bucks. I still have them but only because they cost so damned much.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2021 12:42 AM

R33 I ordered a pair of glasses from EyeBuyDirect and the anti-glare coating started to peel off after very light wear

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2021 1:21 AM

I’ve used both Warby Parker and Glasses USA and I think Glasses USA are actually better quality despite their tacky name.

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2021 1:25 AM

R41 I never order anti glare, as it always smudges/peeks/blurts/cacas the lens. A total waste. Prefer a longer lasting lens, glare and all. Like floaters, you can get used to glare, but smudges you can’t clean are a real nuisance.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2021 1:26 AM

Costco, package of 6, $19. Done

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2021 1:26 AM

R36, thanks to that policy I can’t get new glasses. I don’t know how but I keep ‘failing’ my eye exams. Basically whatever prescription it says I should have is wrong, so I am still wearing a busted up scratched and bandaged old pair of lenses from more than a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2021 1:27 AM

Costco, 2 pairs of brand name eyeglasses, distance and computer, minus their usual $40 off, $325 for both pairs, lenses and frames.

Costco carry all the designer brands, Prada, Burberry, Ray Ban etc. Only problem, your prescription must be current, even if your prescription hasn't changed within a year, they require a current date on that same prescription, otherwise, I think they charge around $60 for an eye exam..

If you see a brand name frame you like, turnover is swift, Costco usually doesn't carry the same styles for more than 2 months. They do carry their own brand Kirkland frames, those can always be re-ordered.

I got Ray Ban frames at Costco for $99, same frames everywhere else were around $175-$195.

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2021 1:39 AM

I have terrible eyesight (lifelong condition) and have strong opinions on this matter. If you must wear glasses during your every waking hour, don’t bargain hunt. They are the most important accessory (and assistive technology) that you will ever purchase. They cover your FACE! Invest in a beautiful frame that makes you feel good about yourself.

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2021 2:30 AM

Warby Parker offers eye exams in the app.

by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2021 6:21 AM

I go into the most expensive eyeglass boutique and try on frames and note the model number and size. Then buy the frames on eBay, get them lensed online at replace a lens, and send them off to a place that makes custom clip-on sunglasses.

Usually spend about $600 (vs. $2500) but I’ll relens the glasses every year for about three years until I do it all over again.

And then people stop me on the street to ask if I’m wearing a $2000 pair of deigner glasses, and I just sniff “yes” and walk away.

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2021 9:06 AM

I tried it a few times, glasses were cheap and odd fitting. I ended up using this site because it seems like the frames are sturdier and you cna get a whole box of the same frame so when like an idiot your forget your in the airport bathroom stall you can just get new lenses put in another exact same pair. It's not for everyone or people who wear glasses as fashion, but for a lesbian like me who doesn't like to have to change something so fundamental about her face it's nice to not have to go shopping for them. Like when you buy 5 VCRs because you know one day they'll stop working and you probably won't live for all 5 to stop working.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2021 9:22 AM

My favorites are Zenni, Coastal, Eyebuy direct. I literally have...many...frames from these 3 sites. There's also smartbuyglasses, Glasses USA, and others, but comparatively, they are more expensive. Lots of BOGO sales as well. I'm not the kind to sit on or drop or step on my frames, so I haven't had any problem with quality.

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2021 9:39 AM

Buy a good pair of readers from Walgreens for less than $10.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2021 9:41 AM

Zenni has been great so far for me.

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2021 10:18 AM

I have insurance, so I just go to LensCrafters. When they come in, they “fit” them for you. Most of the cost is always in the lens. But back when oakleys were a thing, I bought the frames separately from a cheaper source and LC had no problem with just providing the lens and aligning them to my head when they came in.

Plus, the staff seems more seasoned and professional. Like people said, you use them all the time. Not something to skimp on.

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2021 10:37 AM

A lot of my coworkers buy cheap readers, R52. I have astigmatisms in both eyes, so readers don't do it for me. I see drop shadows below text without my prescription, and readers won't help with that.

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2021 1:00 PM

r48, not available in my state.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2021 4:09 PM

Try 39dollarglasses. I bought a couple pair of prescription sunglasses on there and I was quite impressed by the quality and service. They come with a durable case, a microfiber cleaning cloth and an eyeglass kit (if memory serves).

by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote]I have terrible eyesight (lifelong condition) and have strong opinions on this matter. If you must wear glasses during your every waking hour, don’t bargain hunt. They are the most important accessory (and assistive technology) that you will ever purchase. They cover your FACE! Invest in a beautiful frame that makes you feel good about yourself.

I agree. How can you get a correct fit and the all-important 'center of the eye measurement' when ordering online?! If you need to wear eyeglasses, just go to an optical store you trust or to an optical store which accepts your health insurance.

I'm the person who mentioned Costco, I had no problems whatsoever with the eyeglasses I bought there. Problem is, I can't wear progressives, I have three pairs of eyeglasses! I rarely wear the strongest prescription, they'd be great for a concert in large venue or for watching sports at an area. I don't drive, so I don't have to worry about that.

When I purchased my eyeglasses at Costco, I brought in the current prescriptions they required, tried on a few frames, picked the pairs I wanted, had the optical person do the measurements, in two weeks, my eyeglasses were at the store.

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2021 4:27 PM

I've used Eye buy direct for 2 years and they're great!!! Good customer service too

by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2021 4:34 PM

Well, I'VE been using online glasses stores since the early- mid 2000s

by Anonymousreply 60April 24, 2021 10:10 AM

All these places are great if (a) you mostly wear contacts and really only need actual glasses a couple times a month for short periods of time, or (b) you want a pair of backup glasses to keep in the car or beach house or similar.

by Anonymousreply 61April 24, 2021 10:16 AM

R61 Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 62April 24, 2021 10:20 AM

For single vision, online can be a great way to save money, as long as you know your pupillary distance For progressives, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 63April 24, 2021 12:10 PM

My eyesight has gone all wonky recently and I'm going to see an optometrist tomorrow to update my prescription. I will definitely need new glasses. I don't want to pay $1,000 for regular and sunglasses, which is what I paid for my last two pair of glasses. I'm tempted to order from Zenni, especially as they offer custom-fit clip on shades for less than $5. Cheap and I no longer have to worry about carrying another pair of glasses and switching them on and off.

Having always bought my glasses in stores, how do I deal with fit issues? I have always had a tech adjust new glasses before I leave the store. How do I make the sure the frame and size are right for me? I hate "shopping" at a store and then buying online. I think it's not fair to the stores.

Maybe I should buy my regular pair in store and then finding something similar at Zenni for my sunglasses. Instead of a $1,000, I can keep it to $500.

by Anonymousreply 64July 18, 2021 4:30 PM

I wouldn't buy "expensive" glasses or prescriptions from them, but for cheap reading glasses, it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 65July 18, 2021 4:32 PM

[quote] And then people stop me on the street to ask if I’m wearing a $2000 pair of deigner glasses,

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 66July 18, 2021 4:36 PM

Zenny Optical is great. Glasses and sunglasses are a monopoly I think? That explains the high cost. Don't waste your time on the expensive stuff.

by Anonymousreply 67July 18, 2021 5:08 PM

Lifelong glasses wearer. I've always wondered about these online vendors. Glasses need to be fitted to your face. Even if you have a perfectly symmetrical face glasses need a lot of individual fitting and adjustment to sit right and not be a nuisance. How do you get that done with an online vendor?

by Anonymousreply 68July 18, 2021 5:40 PM

R68 others likely have different experiences, but the 7 or so pair I've bought from Zenni fit very well out of the box. I've made minor adjustments to wire frame nose pieces with a needlenose pliars in one case, and the same could be done for the ear pieces if needed.

by Anonymousreply 69July 20, 2021 1:40 AM

I like Warby Parker. But I’ve always liked plastic frames. And I’m naturally cheap - so paying $99 for a good looking pair of glasses is irresistible.

by Anonymousreply 70July 20, 2021 1:43 AM

Zenni. I spend 100 for like 4 pairs and who cares if and when they break. (They do, but I’m rough on them). I also love Tom Ford frames but I keep them for meetings, etc etc….there is def a difference obvi, but zen is can’t be beat for the price

by Anonymousreply 71July 20, 2021 1:49 AM

The discount vendors, like Zenni and Warby Parker are fine if you have a single vision prescription. And have a mild prescription. But if you want Progressives, or have a high prescription (11,4, for example), you'll pay nearly as much as you would at a professional optometrist.

In addition, if you are getting Progressives (bi- or tri-focal) you definitely don't want to go the discount route. They make the lenses different. At a professional optometrist, the prescription will run the full width of the lens, all the way from the top to the bottom. With the discount vendors, the distance part of the lens is fine, goes all the way from the left to the right of the lens, but as soon as you get to the closer up vision part of the lens, they narrow the field of vision by almost half.

I had this exact experience recently - I got Progressives at Kaiser - the vision was great, the lenses were hideous. And expensive. So I returned them (yes, you can), and went to Costco. Great lenses, but when I tested the reading part of the lens, I could only see the text clearly right in the middle. In my peripheral vision, the text away from the center was blurry and curved up. The Costco optician admitted this was a problem, only the high end labs made the lenses full width. Their lab did not. So I returned the lenses, took the frames to Kaiser and hand them put lenses in a pair of frames I actually liked. And I can see,

But for my single vision computer glasses, I got two pair from Zenni Optical online for a grand total of just over $30. Fabulous for single vision glasses, but not for more complex prescriptions.

by Anonymousreply 72July 20, 2021 2:01 AM

R16 Yes, I have a high prescription (about -8 something in each eye), so I'm blind as a fucking bat. Lenses have always been expensive for me, as a result. It must be nice to have the FRAME be the most expensive part of an eyeglass purchase. Of course, paying for high-index lenses is a necessity, so I don't look like I'm wearing coke bottle glasses! Naturally, I'm not a candidate for LASIK, either.

I've gotten used to paying a small fortune for glasses, frankly... considering cost per wear, in the end it's been worth it.

I'm so envious of people who can deal with Zenni/Warby Parker.

by Anonymousreply 73July 20, 2021 2:01 PM

I mocked a pair of glasses on Zenni and with UV/Blue light blokz, high index, anti-fog and clip on shades, it's $64. I paid $500 for my current pair of glasses and that was probably 5-6 years ago. I'm really tempted to go with Zenni. I'm hesitant because I have a peculiar prescription and the optometrist said they would work with me if I buy glasses from them and it doesn't work out.

My prescription is pretty moderate, I just have wildly different prescriptions for each eye and as I get older, they are diverging more. It's really hard to get them to work together. I'm in a constant head fog as my eyes are rebelling against my current pair of glasses.

by Anonymousreply 74July 20, 2021 9:10 PM

I got my last two pairs of glasses from Warby Parker.

They were very efficient, friendly, and took great care of me. I'd go there again in a heartbeat, plus the glasses look great and were very well priced.

by Anonymousreply 75July 21, 2021 12:51 AM

There's a WP in my neighborhood. Unfortunately most of their frames are plastic and they don't work for me. I need the nose pads. Otherwise I would get my glasses made there. More expensive than online but cheaper than the other stores in my area. It's kind of crazy, there are at least 4 optometry stores in my little downtown.

by Anonymousreply 76July 21, 2021 1:32 AM

I have a pair of Warby Parker glasses and the screw that holds the arm fell out. Can I take them to any optician shop to get fixed?

by Anonymousreply 77September 22, 2021 1:11 PM

My experience with Zenni, for what it’s worth, was very positive. My prescription is a little challenging: I have astigmatisms, and one eye needs a very different strength correction from the other. Zenni did the lenses perfectly; I now own three pairs of glasses from them. It’s set me back about $400.

by Anonymousreply 78September 22, 2021 1:49 PM

Has anyone done the Brillen progressives yet? i think they’re touted around $170 with a 2nd pair free. I keep getting ads for them on IG and FB.

by Anonymousreply 79September 22, 2021 3:27 PM

I’ve purchased from Zenni and they’re great. You have to make sure you put in the right pupil distance, though. It’s best to have your eye doctor measure it.

by Anonymousreply 80September 22, 2021 3:45 PM

+1 for Fetch. They're great.

by Anonymousreply 81September 22, 2021 3:47 PM

I've used $39glasses and have no complaints.

by Anonymousreply 82September 22, 2021 3:48 PM

R8, the point is that you employ people, and give good customer service, and you aren't accountable to greedy shareholders. You keep growing the business, and any distributed profits go to charity. Nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 83September 22, 2021 3:48 PM

I stopped buying Warby Parker after getting a shitty nasty attitude from the people at their popup shop in the WeHo Standard a few years ago. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 84September 22, 2021 3:49 PM

Bingo, R10. I wear Zenni daily.

by Anonymousreply 85September 22, 2021 3:49 PM

Fetch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 22, 2021 3:52 PM

I've got a nasty stigmatism in my left eye and I haven't had any problems with online stores.

by Anonymousreply 87September 23, 2021 9:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!