Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Glenn Can Lose. She'll Be Up Again Next Year

Rave review for Four Good Days

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2021 3:00 AM

Glenn Close recently received her record eighth Oscar nomination, so far without a win, for her brilliant portrayal of Mamaw in Hillbilly Elegy, a role in which her maternal character must deal with her daughter’s tragic drug addiction. In her new film, Four Good Days, she again is in the same situation, this time at wit’s end in coping with a daughter whose 10-year heroin addiction has torn their relationship apart.

If there is any justice, even though it is very early, Close should be in the running with a ninth nomination for her authentic and heartbreaking turn as Deb, a woman who wants to use tough love on a daughter she has been forced to turn away from but who still holds out for one last chance — just “four good days” — to save her from herself.

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2021 2:19 AM

The supporting cast is excellent, but this film belongs squarely to Close and Kunis, who create a kind of family dynamic that reminded me of the one we saw between Shirley MacLaine and Debra Winger in Terms of Endearment, albeit in a different context. A hospital scene with a desperate Deb begging for help for her near-death daughter has similarities to one so brilliantly played by MacLaine as Aurora in that movie. Close similarly ignites the fire within that cuts right to the heart of being a parent, even in such dire circumstances. It is another great moment in a career full of them.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2021 2:21 AM

Eh. It’s Pete fucking Hammond.

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2021 2:41 AM

I'm tired of new Oscar bait trend of movies about parents dealing with their kids' drug addictions. Movies like Beautiful Boy and Ben is Back were Oscar bait fails.

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2021 2:43 AM

She's having bad luck with her on-screen kids recently. Oxy, heroin, what's next?

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2021 3:12 AM

Well, maybe G can play the mother of a disabled adult if the mom of drug addict role doesn't get her an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2021 3:23 AM

I recently rewatched The Big Chill. I didn’t get her nomination for that at all.

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2021 3:31 AM

R7 Yeah, a couple of weeks back TCM aired that late at night. I hadn't seen it in years and decided to stay up to see it. Her performance was overrated.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2021 3:34 AM

She was on a roll. She really should have won the year before for "Garp".

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2021 3:46 AM

What would happen to M if G wins an Oscar finally? I worry.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2021 3:52 AM

It’s 44% on Rotten Tomatoes. Glenn will never win.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2021 3:54 AM

M now wants G to win according to a shift in the DL bylaws. After her humiliating loss to that horsey British woman M took pity on G and is now her supporter.

Viola is now her new irritant. (Poor Viola)

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2021 4:11 AM

The Big Chill was kind of a surprise nomination for Close as was the one the next year for The Natural.

She'd made such a splash with Garp (and got denied the award because of Lange's double nomination) that she became the go to Best Supporting Actress nominee.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2021 4:25 AM

I think the ultimate humiliation for Glenn would be an honorary Oscar for her entire career. Oh how M would cackle!!

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2021 5:48 AM

The trailer for the movie is hilarious with Reba McEntire song.

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2021 1:13 PM

Mamie, show me how to work that computer thing again so I can vote for G and Andra Day. A pity vote and a woke vote that also is a slap in the face to Viola. (black me indeed.) What could be better.

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2021 9:41 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2021 7:54 PM

Viola really is turning me off these days. She needs to learn to be gracious in her press and save the rest for her friends.

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2021 7:58 PM

I saw 2 minutes of Viola on 60 Minutes the other day while flipping channels.

The guy said when you do Shakespeare etc you don't get to meet the writer but you did meet August Wilson, what did he say to you.

Viola replied that he said she was beautiful. I changed the channel. M probably threw something.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2021 9:46 PM

When will they learn. WE are supposed to provide the adoration, not them.

Fucking "empowerment".

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2021 10:09 PM

Viola is overrated. I hope she doesn't win.

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2021 3:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!