Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Queen is far from stupid

That brief clip of the conversation between the Queen and Regan is very telling, she is aware of the fact that the democracies are bankrupt, this was in 1991 and that future generations are going to have a very hard time and all Regan can do is laugh. Also note the moment that Nancy attempts to mimic the queen with the tea stirring, she never could handle that she was just some actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2021 12:09 AM

Who is Regan?

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2021 6:11 PM

Who is Pazuzu?

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2021 6:12 PM

She wasn't well-educated when she began, but she's worked diligently to become well-read, even though she's not a natural reader.

Also, she's been almost a therapist to every Prime Minister since Churchill. she's the only person they can talk to in full knowledge that what is said will not leave the room.

She reads her Red Boxes, full of top-secret documents every single night, and has done since day one.

My guess is that even by 1960 she knew a thing or two, and 60 years later, she knows a thing or 20, about what is going on in the world, and about how things really work.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2021 6:17 PM

^^^ 70+ years later

I'll just 'Oh dear' myself.

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2021 6:18 PM

As R3 says, the Queen has seen a lot. She has spent a lot of time reading her Red Boxes and has had large amounts of one-on-one time with PMs like Winston Churchill and Mrs. Thatcher. I would not be surprised at her having picked up quite a bit of wisdom along the way.

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2021 6:30 PM

[quote]that she was just some actress

That gave the best head in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2021 6:33 PM

The Queen's Red Boxes are like Datalounge to you and me. Part of daily life. Not always so much fun, but doubtless incendiary national and international gossip occurs now and then. She's been steeped in it all for decades - unlike anyone else alive. Her relaxed uncensored conversational memories - which no-one will ever hear - would be sensational.

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2021 6:44 PM

R4

1960 was, in fact, a little more than 60 years ago. Your "oh, dear" wasn't deserved.

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2021 6:48 PM

You're right! Ugggghhhh - I barely slept last night and my brain is addled.

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2021 6:50 PM

You'd think with all that acquired wisdom she could handle her own family, but no

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2021 6:52 PM

Many wise people can't handle their own families, r10.

Family is a separate art completely.

by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2021 6:57 PM

[quote]You'd think with all that acquired wisdom she could handle her own family, but no

The Windsors have always found emotional intelligence overrated. They largely prefer horses and dogs. William might just unlock this institutionalised prejudice.

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2021 7:01 PM

[quote]The Queen is far from stupid

Unlike OP, who can't even spell the former president's name correctly.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2021 7:04 PM

Don’t be hard on OP.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2021 7:06 PM

She might be far from stupid but the royals are completely out of touch with the common people. I’m sure they only appear to be gracious to the public because they don’t want another revolution like the French had with their monarchy.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2021 7:20 PM

That was the film that Ian Holm narrated for the 40th anniversary of her accession to the throne. One of the more engaging about HM. There are other interesting pieces such as the Queen at the races with her mother and sister, and introducing Lech Wałęsa and his wife (who both had limited English) to the Royal Family. My favorite piece was when Prince Michael of Kent spoke to Wałęsa in Russian -- you know, the language of the nation whose control Poland had fought so hard to escape. Tactless.

Poor Nancy doesn't quite no how to cover Ronnie being all befuddled. Nice of the Queen to play waitress (that is, the perfect hostess) and ensure that he got decaf.

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2021 8:02 PM

R16, "Poor Nancy doesn't quite no how to cover Ronnie being all befuddled"?

I think you may be a bit befuddled as well. In fact, I know it.

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2021 12:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!