Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ennio Morricone appreciation thread!

My favorite film composer (RIP). Don't know of anyone with more talent in this area.

The Sundown, from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, is only played once during the film ... and is majestic.

What are your favorite Morricone scores?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2505/04/2021

Definitely “Once Upon a Time in the West.” Each character had their own descriptive score.

I was sad at how the 2007 Academy Award was presented by a befuddled Clint Eastwood and the magnificence of the Once Upon a Time in the West music wasn’t showcased.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104/20/2021

Gabriel’s Oboe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204/20/2021

The man was a genius.

My personal favorites - and it's hard to whittle them down - are "Cinema Paradiso', 'Days of Heaven', and 'The Mission' (which is arguably the finest original film score ever composed and was robbed of an Academy Award).

by Anonymousreply 304/20/2021

Listening to The Mission now ... sublime.

by Anonymousreply 404/20/2021

R3 I did not know Cinema Paradiso was composed by Morricone! I wept so much at the ending! (Spoiler post).

John Williams has a lifetime legacy as well, but no way comes as close as Ennio Morricone’s. Truly a genius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504/20/2021

Since we've sampled others, here's 'Days of Heaven'.

(A great movie, with breathtaking cinematography by Nestor Almendros.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 604/20/2021

I so badly wanted to see him in concert. It was amazing he was still performing into his 90s. It would have been fabulous to see a performance at the Verona Colosseum as he did yearly.

by Anonymousreply 704/20/2021

I love this song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 804/20/2021

This is her latest Morricone. I love the melody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 904/20/2021

Almost two dozen films he scored are up on the Criterion Channel in a special "festival," including some Italian rarities.

by Anonymousreply 1004/20/2021

EM's music makes any movie better than it is. For example, that POS "Frantic" (Polanski-88).

by Anonymousreply 1104/20/2021

This is very true of the rather terrible Lolita, r11, which he also scored. Amazing music:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1204/20/2021

This sequence is made through the music:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1304/20/2021

The variety (and sheer number) of films he worked on in astonishing. This weird pop tune from Bertolucci's Partner (1968), for instance.

(Song starts around 0:35)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1404/20/2021

I saw Morricone conduct in Vienna in 2017, and he was amazing. There was nothing over the top of grandiose about his conducting, but he made the orchestra sound wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2021

This is lovely

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2021

Love this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2021

I watched the giallo What Have You Done to Solange? not too long ago and I thought it was TERRIBLE, despite having a pretty good reputation for a giallo film. However, I really liked the Ennio Morricone score!! He added a touch of class to an otherwise shitty Italan b-picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2021

His soundtrack for The Mission was voted the all-time greatest score in 2012

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2021

R10

I saw what you did there.

by Anonymousreply 2004/21/2021

Bump

by Anonymousreply 2105/04/2021

He could get pretty "groovy" as well.

What new wave band copped this vibe? Their cop is brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2205/04/2021

I have always loved this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2305/04/2021

Without a doubt, his "Once Upon A Time In America". I love every minute of that soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 2405/04/2021

La Califfa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2505/04/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!