Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have any DLers ever been to Kaliningrad?

It's a Russian exclave, physically cut off from the rest of Russian and bordered by Lithuania and Poland. I've been to Lithuania and Poland a number of times. I've wanted to visit Kaliningrad, as it has a ton of history. But I imagine it's a giant pain to get visas (and that was pre-covid).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2021 2:16 PM

Yes. I spend my summers there.

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2021 11:46 AM

I've always thought it'd be interesting to go too, OP. Will be interested to hear of any experiences here.

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2021 11:46 AM

It should be part of Poland.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2021 11:55 AM

Polish men are hot.

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2021 12:10 PM

Königsberg

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2021 12:16 PM

I been there and it's a typical charming Baltic town, like Riga or Tallin. Just occupied by Russians.

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2021 12:23 PM

It's a cesspool of drug and human trafficking. Maybe they've cleaned up the surface since I was last there, but the rot and the pollution go deep, as do the bunkers under every square.

Fun fact: its Castle was the place where the legendary Amber Room from the Catherine Palace was last seen, before the Soviets bombarded it all to smithereens in 1945. Now it's a myth, like El Dorado...

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2021 12:50 PM

The place is unbelievably ugly since pretty much all of the buildings were destroyed during the war or right after. There are a couple of mock-medieval buildings the Soviets erected and a restored Gothic cathedral which looks a bit out of place amidst all the ugly post-war blocks. The poster above who compared it to Riga and Tallinn is deluded.

The only place of interest in the whole exclave is the Curonian Spit but you can easily visit that one from Lithuania as well.

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2021 1:02 PM

I find this unfinished building to be fascinating. They’re finally just giving up and tearing it down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2021 4:31 PM

Yes, there's virtually nothing original left. Unless you are a Kant (he never went further than a few miles away from the place) or Kathe Kollwitz obsessive, there's really no plus about the place.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2021 5:29 PM

It's kind of strange to think of this strange skinny swath of northern Poland being continuously occupied by Germans (Prussians) for nearly a thousand years. Danzig (Gdansk) and Konigsberg (Kaliningrad) are so far from the contiguous area of German-speaking peoples, it must have always felt a little precarious for residents. They surely all had to learn enough Polish to shop and to travel. Likewise, that little sliver of Russia is so obviously there to try to intimidate the Poles and the people of the Baltic Republics, and to gain some sort of strategic position on the Baltic Sea, but the Russians there also have to feel isolated.

by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2021 6:13 PM

No, r11. Danzig, Stettin and Königsberg (among many other cities, like Breslau and Posen) were squarely inside the large contiguous area that was Germany before 1918. There were Poles living in the area, I'm sure, but all the government administration and most of the schooling and shopping would have been done in German.

See the map below -- everything within the red border was Germany.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2021 6:24 PM

Not unless they have a pavilion at EPCOT.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2021 6:32 PM

Actually, that map above represents the partition of Poland between Russia, Prussia, and Austria that happened between 1772 and 1795. NONE of those areas east of the Oder were ever majority German-speaking areas, except as I mentioned, the narrow swath along the Baltic. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2021 6:33 PM

R11, my great grandparents were German and lived in that area in the 1800s. When they immigrated to the US, their immigration papers listed their languages as German (primary), Polish, Russian, and Lithuanian.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2021 7:56 PM

The Russian Trolls on Data Lounge get bolder every day.

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2021 11:14 PM

DL only gets the low cost trolls assigned to it. In fact they mostly work out of kaliningrad. Other than Ludmila from Minsk.

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2021 12:49 AM

Assuming one could hire sufficient security to go there safely...

how big would the penises be?

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2021 12:59 AM

Have at it op. The most interesting thing is it's history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2021 1:01 AM

I remember reading an article about it a few years ago that made it sound beyond awful: saying that it's crime-infested would be a serious understatement, and as others have already pointed out rampant prostitution, drug-related crimes, and human trafficking are out of control. In addition to having the highest per capita AIDS infection rates in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2021 2:02 AM

R20 rude.

by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2021 3:07 AM

R17 the Data Lounge trolls are retarded and tedious. One million Alok threads speak to their incompetence and lunacy.

by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2021 4:18 AM

[quote]rampant prostitution, drug-related crimes, and human trafficking are out of control. In addition to having the highest per capita AIDS infection

Sounds like Provincetown in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2021 12:57 PM

I’ve been to Kaliningrad but I’ve never been to me.

by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2021 2:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!