Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV Shows that Replaced Departing Stars With New Characters — Were they Upgrades or Flops?

Who are the best and worst replacements? Who is missing from this list?

Cheryl Ladd for Farrah Fawcett, Charlie's Angels

Woody Harrelson for Nicholas Colasanto, Cheers

Kirstie Alley for Shelley Long, Cheers

Javicia Leslie for Ruby Rose, Batwoman

Tiffani-Amber Thiessen for Shannen Doherty, Beverly Hills, 90210

Rose McGowan for Shannen Doherty, Charmed

Joe Mantegna for Mandy Patinkin, Criminal Minds

Byron Cherry and Christopher Mayer for John Schneider and Tom Wopat, The Dukes of Hazzard

Goran Visnjic for George Clooney, ER

Cloris Leachman for Charlotte Rae, The Facts of Life

Meaghan Rath and Beulah Koale for Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim, Hawaii Five-0

Seann William Scott for Clayne Crawford, Lethal Weapon

Levy Tran for George Eads, MacGyver

Harry Morgan for McLean Stevenson, M*A*S*H

Jon Lovitz for Phil Hartman, NewsRadio

Jimmy Smits for David Caruso, NYPD Blue

James Spader for Steve Carell, The Office

Dax Shepard for Danny Masterson, The Ranch

Janina Gavankar for Nicole Beharie, Sleepy Hollow

Charlie Sheen for Michael J. Fox, Spin City

Josh Meyers for Topher Grace, That '70s Show

Jenilee Harrison and Priscilla Barnes for Suzanne Somers, Three's Company

Ashton Kutcher for Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men

Sandy Duncan for Valerie Harper, Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family

Robert Patrick for David Duchovny, The X-Files

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177April 26, 2021 4:02 PM

Shelley Long was annoying so, for me, Kirstie was a huge improvement.

by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2021 11:31 PM

Jon Stewart replacing Craig Kilborn on The Daily Show was a classic win.

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2021 11:31 PM

The top two on the list (in my opinion):

Cheryl Ladd for Farrah Fawcett, Charlie's Angels

Jimmy Smits for David Caruso, NYPD Blue

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2021 11:36 PM

[quote] Jon Lovitz for Phil Hartman, NewsRadio

That’s not provocative and doesn’t work for your thread. I condole you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2021 11:39 PM

"Jenilee Harrison and Priscilla Barnes for Suzanne Somers, Three's Company"

WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK?????????

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2021 11:40 PM

I always thought Kirstie and Shelley were on Cheers at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2021 11:41 PM

Charles Emerson Winchester was a huge upgrade over Frank Burns.

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2021 11:41 PM

Every single one was a downgrade

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2021 11:41 PM

Agreed, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2021 11:42 PM

[quote]rotting corpse of don knotts

Who was better, Norman Fell or Don Knotts?

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2021 11:44 PM

I was truly upset when they replaced Adelaide with Pearl on Diff'rent Strokes. She was the best housekeeper the Drummand's ever had. Even better than Mrs. Garrett.

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2021 11:44 PM

[quote] Jon Stewart replacing Craig Kilborn on The Daily Show

Kilborn was hilarious, but Stewart took the show and turned it into an unfunny temple to virtue signaling. The term "clapter" was invented for Stewart on that show.

Notice how Stewart has done nothing that anyone thinks is funny since then. Everyone realizes now that the emperor had no clothes.

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2021 11:44 PM

Widowed Kate Bradley (Bea Benaderet) was the proprietor of the hotel. Sickness kept Bea Benaderet away for the last third of season five as she dealt with illness from lung cancer. After Bea's death, a new character replaced her who was named Dr. Janet Craig, played by June Lockhart. It was not the same show after Bea's passing.

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2021 11:44 PM

Fuck you very much, OP

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2021 11:45 PM

Ashton Kutcher for Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men to me was an improvement. I do realize that isn't a popular opinion but Sheen was no longer believable as a hot stud that women would hop in bed with. Sheen was good in the roll to begin with but he didn't age well in the roll. I am pretty sure I have seen every episode several times and I prefer the ones with Kutcher now, won't even watch the ones with Sheen anymore.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2021 11:45 PM

Betty Buckley 'replaced' Diana Hyland on "Eight Is Enough". It made her a star, and I don't even remember the other actress.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2021 11:45 PM

I loved Coach on Cheers. Two of the most poignant sitcom moments involve him:

1. The scene between him and his daughter, where he tells her she's beautiful. It makes me tear up every time.

2. The scene where Sam tells Woody that Coach has passed away. Just a quick, throwaway moment, but it carried such melancholy.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2021 11:46 PM

“roll?” R15?

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2021 11:47 PM

No one has mentioned the "TWO Darrins" on Bewitched. Bunch of fucking children.

Definitely a downgrade.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2021 11:48 PM

As far as Charlie's Angels is concerned I liked that there were actually six angels instead of just three. It made the show more fun.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2021 11:50 PM

Please excuse the Two Darrins comment.. Eldergay here without reading glasses.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2021 11:52 PM

R15 is a well-known retard.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2021 11:52 PM

UPGRADES

Woody Harrelson for Nicholas Colasanto, Cheers

Kirstie Alley for Shelley Long, Cheers

Priscilla Barnes for Suzanne Somers, Three's Company

Jasmine Guy, Cree Summers for Lisa Bonet, Marissa Tomei in A DIFFERENT WORLD

Ted McGinley for David Garrison in MARRIED WITH CHILDREN

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2021 11:52 PM

The original Cheers cast was far superior to the replacements.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2021 11:54 PM

I thought the new Darrin on Bewitched was an upgrade. Dick York had become tiresome. Plus they resembled each other enough that it was a reasonably smooth transition.

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2021 11:56 PM

Stephen Shortridge for John Travolta on Welcome Back, Kotter was just plain sad.

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2021 11:58 PM

Flops: Julia Duffy and Judith Ivey for Delta Burke on Designing Women

Neutral: Jan Hooks for Jean Smart on Designing Women (same character, different name)

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2021 11:58 PM

r26, as a little kid I was definitely team Stephen Shortridge over Travolta. One of my first baby-gay crushes. I know that doesn't make him an upgrade on the show but he was an upgrade in my eyes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2021 12:02 AM

What about Sarah Chalke for Lecey Goranson on ROSEANNE? That was a major downgrade!

by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2021 12:03 AM

Hazel replaced Don DeFore "Mr. B" and Whitney Blake "Missy" with Ray Fulmer "Steve" and Lynn Borden "Barabara". Fail.

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2021 12:04 AM

Jackee for Redd Foxx on The Royale Family. He died so they brought her in, first as Della Reese's younger sister, then after a retooling she was Della Reese's daughter. The show didn't last long after that.

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2021 12:04 AM

Lexi replaced Kimberly Melrose Place. Flop.

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2021 12:05 AM

*on

by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2021 12:05 AM

James Spader definite downgrade for Steve Carell on The Office

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2021 12:06 AM

Imagine how many drugs you'd have to be on to think Jackeé was the natural replacement for Redd Foxx.

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2021 12:06 AM

Nicholas Colasanto at his best

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2021 12:07 AM

Jackeé and Redd Foxx on a show together, along with Della, would have been great.

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2021 12:08 AM

Saunders on SOAP. Downgrade!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2021 12:13 AM

Sue Ann Nivens was a great new character on The Mary Tyler Moore show after Rhoda & Phyllis left. I won't say upgrade but a strong, just-as-good character.

Georgette not so much.

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2021 12:13 AM

Speaking of Jackee, it always felt like the producers of "227" were trying to replace her Sondra character with a whole host of people -- among them Paul Winfield and Stoney Jackson -- but none of them brought anything to the show and it was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2021 12:15 AM

Community- season 6 additions replacing Yvette Nicole Brown and Donald Glover. Downgrade!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2021 12:17 AM

Wasn't Jackee supposed to be a regular on Designing Women? She showed up in the S6 finale as Anthony's rich fiancee and bought Sugarbakers.

by Anonymousreply 42April 20, 2021 12:17 AM

It's too bad All in the Family didn't have a better final season. After Mike and Gloria left, and Stephanie moved in, it just wasn't the same. Then things got even worse with Archie Bunker's Place.

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2021 12:19 AM

This is one DL thread where you won't see THE GOLDEN GIRLS mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2021 12:21 AM

I agree, R43. AITF should have ended with the episode of Mike and Gloria's departure.

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2021 12:23 AM

After Bea called it a day and The Golden Girls became The Golden Palace, they tried to fill the void with Cheech Marin, Don Cheadle, and some annoying kid. Epic downgrade.

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2021 12:23 AM

I am probably the only person in the world who liked James Spader on The Office. Steve Carrell annoyed me to no end.

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2021 12:25 AM

Shit on your face r1.

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2021 12:25 AM

R5 no worries, you were a definite upgrade!

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2021 12:26 AM

Shelley Hack replaced Kate Jackson on Charlie’s Angels - Yay!

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2021 12:26 AM

Good one, R38.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2021 12:28 AM

Daphne Zuniga replacing Amy Locane on Melrose Place was certainly an upgrade.

by Anonymousreply 52April 20, 2021 12:29 AM

[quote]Speaking of Jackee, it always felt like the producers of "227" were trying to replace her Sondra character with a whole host of people -- among them Paul Winfield and Stoney Jackson -- but none of them brought anything to the show and it was canceled.

All of the 227 replacements were flops Stoney Jackson, Barry Sobel, Countess Vaughn and Toukie Smith. I have a soft spot for Paul Winfield though, so I give him a pass.

Other replacement flops.

Brian Haley replacing Thomas Haden Church on WINGS

Traylor Howard replacing Bitty Schram in MONK

Richard Mylan's Oliver replacing Richard Coyle's Jeff in COUPLING

UPGRADES

Joseph Gilgun replacing Robert Sheehan in MISFITS

Reg E. Cathay replacing Ernie Hudson in OZ

The trio of actors who replaced Russell Tovey, Lenora Crichlow and Aidan Turner in BEING HUMAN

Marsha Warfield replacing all of the dead, elderly bailiffs on NIGHT COURT

by Anonymousreply 53April 20, 2021 12:32 AM

Loved Marsha Warfield on "Night Court."

by Anonymousreply 54April 20, 2021 12:35 AM

[quote]Diane Ladd and Celia Weston

Wow, I forgot about them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 20, 2021 12:36 AM

Goober replacing Gomer was a definite flop. Hated that moron.

by Anonymousreply 56April 20, 2021 12:37 AM

[quote]Brian Haley replacing Thomas Haden Church on WINGS

That was a weird one, r53. They tried to make the him somewhat different than Church's Lowell but not different enough to create an interesting character. And then they just stopped writing for him and the character went away and was never mentioned again.

by Anonymousreply 57April 20, 2021 12:37 AM

We wouldn't even be talking about [italic]the Facts of Life[/italic] without Jo or [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic] without Dexter.

by Anonymousreply 58April 20, 2021 12:41 AM

[quote]Traylor Howard replacing Bitty Schram in MONK

Big time flop. At least Sharona made a brief appearance during the last season.

by Anonymousreply 59April 20, 2021 12:43 AM

R46 Spoke too soon.

by Anonymousreply 60April 20, 2021 12:45 AM

Fuck you, r58

by Anonymousreply 61April 20, 2021 12:46 AM

[quote] The trio of actors who replaced Russell Tovey, Lenora Crichlow and Aidan Turner in BEING HUMAN

I totally agree with this. The three original characters were so annoying, especially fucking Lenora

by Anonymousreply 62April 20, 2021 12:52 AM

[quote]Shelley Long was annoying so, for me, Kirstie was a huge improvement.

Kirstie started out interestingly. A battle ax boss who was a good foil for Sam. However, once the writers realized that there was no chemistry there, they began to write them more as pals, and Rebecca became just one of the guys. Furthermore, she also devolved into a whiny, gold-digging cry-baby, which got annoying fast for me. Seriously, did she have to cry all of the time?

Diane was a pretentious snob, but she also had heart, dated below her station/league, and often went out of her way to help the less fortunate (e.g., Cliff), whereas Rebecca didn't care about anyone but herself... and landing a filthy rich husband!

by Anonymousreply 63April 20, 2021 12:53 AM

Adam Scott replacing some guy I can't even name on Parks and Recreation was a definite upgrade

by Anonymousreply 64April 20, 2021 12:55 AM

[quote] Kirstie started out interestingly. A battle ax boss who was a good foil for Sam. However, once the writers realized that there was no chemistry there, they began to write them more as pals, and Rebecca became just one of the guys. Furthermore, she also devolved into a whiny, gold-digging cry-baby, which got annoying fast for me.

I preferred sloppy Rebecca! Before that she was a boring Maddie Hayes knock-off.

by Anonymousreply 65April 20, 2021 1:03 AM

After Good Times killed off John Amos's character (season 2), they tried to give Florida a new husband in season 4, Carl (Moses Gunn), and the fans weren't having it. After four episodes, Carl revealed he had lung cancer and he and Florida got married (offscreen). Esther Rolle took the next season off before returning in season 6. After a brief mention of Carl's death, he is never mentioned again.

Another "new love interest" flop was Ron Rifkin as "Nick", who replaced Richard Masur's infamous "David" on One Day at a Time. Rifkin didn't come off as particularly likeable, so he was killed off after one season ("DAMN drunk drivers!" -- Ann Romano), but unfortunately, he left behind that annoying fucking kid played by Glenn Scarpelli.

by Anonymousreply 66April 20, 2021 1:04 AM

Good one, R64. Adam and Amy had great chemistry, and he was nice to look at.

by Anonymousreply 67April 20, 2021 1:05 AM

Sam and Diane were the essence of cheers.

Show ended after Shelley longs departure for me.

Also Kirstie alley is a trump loving bitch.

by Anonymousreply 68April 20, 2021 1:35 AM

Kelsey Grammer is also a Republican, as is John Ratzenberger, and the Charles brothers who created it are Mormons.

by Anonymousreply 69April 20, 2021 1:37 AM

Who's the one who died on 9/11? I remember Nick@Nite began airing CHEERS reruns around that time and something about that was mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 70April 20, 2021 1:39 AM

Christopher Lloyd replacing Randall Carver on "Taxi" was a definite upgrade (with all due respect to Mr. Carver, of course).

by Anonymousreply 71April 20, 2021 1:43 AM

David Angell. He was very well-liked and respected in the industry, R70. Meanwhile, Seth MacFarlane missed his flight that day.

[quote] Christopher Lloyd replacing Randall Carver on "Taxi" was a definite upgrade (with all due respect to Mr. Carver, of course).

I thought Jeff Conaway was Randall Carver's replacement. Also a step up.

by Anonymousreply 72April 20, 2021 1:44 AM

Didn't Didi Conn replace Caroline McWilliams on "Benson" or did she join before Caroline left? I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 73April 20, 2021 1:45 AM

This almost happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 20, 2021 1:45 AM

That was David Angell, R70. Niles Crane plays a piano tribute to him during the opening scene of a season 9 episode of Frasier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 20, 2021 1:50 AM

[quote]Jasmine Guy, Cree Summers for Lisa Bonet, Marissa Tomei in A DIFFERENT WORLD

Upgrade but I did enjoy season one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 20, 2021 1:55 AM

[quote]Didn't Didi Conn replace Caroline McWilliams on "Benson" or did she join before Caroline left? I can't remember.

I think she replaced her.

by Anonymousreply 77April 20, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote]I was truly upset when they replaced Adelaide with Pearl on Diff'rent Strokes. She was the best housekeeper the Drummand's ever had. Even better than Mrs. Garrett.

Yet she never made the opening credits the way the other two did.

That must be why she left for [italic]Filthy Rich[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 78April 20, 2021 1:58 AM

Karen Cellini vs Catherine Oxenberg - this is like the real life Sophie's choice.

by Anonymousreply 79April 20, 2021 1:59 AM

Coy and Vance replacing Bo and Luke Duke was a ratings disaster and that new Jan on the Brady Hour eek! Don't get me started on the recast of Helena Cassidine.

by Anonymousreply 80April 20, 2021 1:59 AM

All the Brady girls had replacements in the pre-movie reboots of the original series.

by Anonymousreply 81April 20, 2021 2:02 AM

As much as I like Robert Forster, I missed Michael Ontkean in the (unnecessary) Twin Peaks Season 3.

by Anonymousreply 82April 20, 2021 2:05 AM

Fallon #2 was a downgrade over Fallon #1. Yes, they apply here; they are two totally different characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 20, 2021 2:06 AM

You have to wonder how in the FUCK did they cast Karen Cellini as Amanda? I love how she just disappeared, I don't even remember where they said she went!

by Anonymousreply 84April 20, 2021 2:15 AM

r75, what is that piece of music? It's so familiar. Was it a favorite of David Angell's?

by Anonymousreply 85April 20, 2021 2:16 AM

[quote] That was David Angell, [R70]. Niles Crane plays a piano tribute to him during the opening scene of a season 9 episode of Frasier.

They named Niles and Daphne’s son David in tribute on the final episode.

by Anonymousreply 86April 20, 2021 2:21 AM

[quote]what is that piece of music? It's so familiar. Was it a favorite of David Angell's?

It's Schubert's Piano Sonata No. 20, which is the theme music to WINGS which Angell created.

by Anonymousreply 87April 20, 2021 2:23 AM

I never found [italic]Wings[/italic] funny. Someone had a thread calling it out for homophobic humor.

Even [italic]The Tortellis[/italic], the first attempt at a [italic]Cheers[/italic] spinoff, was less cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 88April 20, 2021 2:26 AM

I liked Fred Clark better, but the way George replaced him with Larry Keating -- stopping the action and introducing him to Bea and the audience -- is probably the most memorable TV replacement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 20, 2021 2:34 AM

Downgrade: Mary Jane Croft replacing Vivian Vance as Lucille Ball's sidekick on The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy.

I know Vivian wanted to remain in Connecticut with her husband, and not commute anymore to California to film the show, but Viv will always be the preferred sidekick. No one reminisces about Mary Jane Croft, not even here on The Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 90April 20, 2021 2:59 AM

I remember her as one of the few personalities who lost a son in Viet Nam.

by Anonymousreply 91April 20, 2021 3:04 AM

Jack Coleman for Al Corley as Stephen Carrington on Dynasty. Fair exchange, although Al Corley was so much angrier, but then he was the one who had to confront his father and family and come out as gay. By the time Jack Coleman arrived, coming out was done.

by Anonymousreply 92April 20, 2021 3:21 AM

Sandy Duncan for Valerie Harper on "Valerie's Family" when Valerie "died" due to a contractual dispute with Ms. Harper (the show started as "Valerie"), then later became "The Hogans." I don't know about this one since Valerie played the mother and Sandy played the aunt, so it was a replacement but different characters.

by Anonymousreply 93April 20, 2021 3:28 AM

[quote] Daphne Zuniga replacing Amy Locane on Melrose Place was certainly an upgrade.

In terms of nostril square footage alone!

by Anonymousreply 94April 20, 2021 3:36 AM

Janet Hubert's replacement on Fresh Prince was not an upgrade, everyone involved in replacing Ms Hubert as Aunt Viv dropped the ball, she was not treated well because she was not appreciated, but time has vindicated her.

by Anonymousreply 95April 20, 2021 3:44 AM

[quote] Sue Ann Nivens was a great new character on The Mary Tyler Moore show after Rhoda & Phyllis left. I won't say upgrade but a strong, just-as-good character.

[quote] Georgette not so much.

Both Sue Ann and Georgette were on The MTM Show well before either Rhoda or Phyllis left the show. Neither was intended as a repalcement for Rhoda or Phyllis.

Georgette first appeared as a friend from the department store where Rhoda worked to whom Rhoda introduced Mary.

Sue Ann's first appearance is in the classic episode "The Lars Affair," where she has an affair with Phyllis's awful and forever-unseen husband Lars, which prompts Phyllis to confront her on the set of "The Happy Homemaker."

by Anonymousreply 96April 20, 2021 3:44 AM

Victoria Wyndham aka “Lady Eyes A-Buggin’” over Robin Strasser as Rachel Cory on Another World.

by Anonymousreply 97April 20, 2021 3:48 AM

Cheryl Ladd, definitely; the show didn't go to No. 1 until Season 2 when Kris Munroe came along.

by Anonymousreply 98April 20, 2021 3:50 AM

Grant Aleksander over Jarrod Ross

by Anonymousreply 99April 20, 2021 3:57 AM

How many MTM episodes have Rhoda, Phyllis, Sue Ann, and Georgette other than the finale?

by Anonymousreply 100April 20, 2021 4:07 AM

"Kilborn was hilarious, but Stewart took the show and turned it into an unfunny temple to virtue signaling."

The "virtue signaling" comment gives you away as a Republican. What would you know about humor, Republicans are NOT funny.

by Anonymousreply 101April 20, 2021 4:09 AM

The No Ma’am crew on MwC was an upgrade (by default) from a downgrade. Even under the circumstances that led to his creation, Seven would have killed the show dead if they had left him on any longer.

by Anonymousreply 102April 20, 2021 4:10 AM

R98. Agree, Cheryl was the magic. I know Farrah was super popular at the time, but when she left "Charlies Angels" is when the show really took off.

by Anonymousreply 103April 20, 2021 4:11 AM

UPGRADE: Allan Kayser's Bubba replacing Ken Berry's children in MAMA's FAMILY. Beverly Archer replacing Rue McClanahan on MAMA's FAMILY.

Craig Ferguson taking over The Late, Late Show from Craig Kilborn

FLOP: Cynthia Watros' Kellie replacing Christa Miller's Kate in THE DREW CAREY SHOW.

by Anonymousreply 104April 20, 2021 4:15 AM

R101 far-left liberals are not funny, either. They're just as humorless and unable to make fun of themselves. Extremists in general only care about promoting an agenda than creating comedy. When they tried to revive MADtv in 2016 because of public demand, it didn't last long because the humor was too PC. Extremists (be they far-left or far-right) are incapable of comprehending satire/parody, because they think in black-and-white terms and take things literally.

by Anonymousreply 105April 20, 2021 4:19 AM

[quote] When they tried to revive MADtv in 2016 because of public demand, it didn't last long because the humor was too PC.

And they made the mistake of bringing it back in prime time instead of on the late night since Fox didn’t want it back though they never managed to replace it and the CW could not get a late night commitment from any of its fly-by-night affiliates.

There was also a Cartoon Network show called MAD that was more like the magazine, albeit the magazine the way it was when it was in its death throes.

by Anonymousreply 106April 20, 2021 4:22 AM

E.g., the reboot of Murphy Brown.

by Anonymousreply 107April 20, 2021 4:37 AM

Downgrade: Pat Klous replacing Lauren Tewes on "The Love Boat." Ted McGinley replacing Ron Howard in "The Happy Days." And though she wasn't really a replacement, the addition of Wendy Schaal in "Fantasy Island" annoyed me.

by Anonymousreply 108April 20, 2021 4:38 AM

R107, I really enjoyed the reboot of "Murphy Brown." It's too bad it did not get another season.

by Anonymousreply 109April 20, 2021 4:58 AM

R15, I agree. The show had gone as far as it could with sleazeball Charlie Harper. The writers made Ashton Kutcher's character smart and decent. I always thought Jon Cryer was the MVP because of his willingness to embarrass himself to make the jokes work. The writers added a gay subtext to the pair of Cryer and Kutcher which worked hilariously because the characters weren't brothers. The characters always acted like a gay married couple, and they even got married so that they could adopt a kid.

by Anonymousreply 110April 20, 2021 5:21 AM

The only time I found Charlie Sheen funny was in the [italic]Hot Shots![/italic] movies.

by Anonymousreply 111April 20, 2021 5:26 AM

I also liked the addition of Kirstie Alley. I liked her deadpan delivery of her lines. I also liked the dynamic of Sam's having a female boss, and I enjoyed watching Rebecca and Sam constantly one-up each other.

by Anonymousreply 112April 20, 2021 5:28 AM

“Vexed” was a fun buddy cop comedy in its first season with Lucy Punch. Her replacement was bland and generic looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 20, 2021 5:33 AM

Also, if we're going to talk about Two and A Half Men, then we have to talk about the half man. I didn't like the character of Jake, because the show had made him impossibly dumb. After the actor who portrayed Jake had his religious awakening and begged people not to watch the show, he was allowed to leave the show. His first replacement was Jennifer, Charlie's secret, unknown lesbian daughter. Since she was a lesbian, she could say and do all the same sleazy things that Charlie had done. Unfortunately, she was unlikeable, just like Charlie. (However she did have a hilarious, scene-stealing moment at the very end of the episode that featured Linda Carter.) Then, the show brought on another kid (a shark-jumping move). Louis was cute enough, but he just didn't have the charisma of young Jake.

by Anonymousreply 114April 20, 2021 5:34 AM

[quote]Jimmy Smits for David Caruso, NYPD Blue

Followed by Rick Shroeder and John Paul Gosselaar.

Poor Dennis Franz.

by Anonymousreply 115April 20, 2021 5:35 AM

Replacing Pamela Sue Martin with Emma Samms on Dynasty did NOT work.

by Anonymousreply 116April 20, 2021 5:37 AM

Emmanuel Lewis had other commitments, R115.

by Anonymousreply 117April 20, 2021 5:38 AM

r113 - similar situation with "Monk" - Long live Sharona, the show lost all it's grit and realness when Bitty Schram departed.

by Anonymousreply 118April 20, 2021 5:40 AM

R114 I’m not a fan of the Kutcher years at all but I actually think (aside from Cryer) that Courtney Thorne-Smith was one of the few bright spots of those seasons. I’ve never been particularly a fan of hers (or NOT a fan, I’ve never really had an opinion on her, period) but I actually thought she showed some great comedic timing (which surprised me) and worked well with Cryer. Probably not a popular opinion, but there you have it.

by Anonymousreply 119April 20, 2021 5:41 AM

R119, I loved Courtney Thorne-Smith on Two and a Half Men. I knew she had done a sitcom before, According to Jim (with Jim Belushi), but I never watched more than one episode because I found it boring. But she was hilarious in Two and a Half Men. She had some great sarcastic lines and some fun drunk scenes; she delivered well.

by Anonymousreply 120April 20, 2021 5:45 AM

r53 Being Human - somewhat related: i like the US cast far more than the UK version, and i'm usually a person who prefers UK version. Although i think both shows held their own.

Also somewhat related: the actor Sam Witwer who played the vampire was/is hot as fuck. i can't believe he doesn't have a show he is headlining, although i think he's really into his music and does a lot of voice-over work. he seems to have kept steadily employed since the show ended.

by Anonymousreply 121April 20, 2021 5:46 AM

George Clooney is odd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 20, 2021 5:49 AM

While replacing Delta Burke on Designing Women was an automatic downgrade and flop, I still enjoy the Julia Duffy season of Designing Women. It's the Judith Ivey season that stank and was the death knell for the show, so she was the downgrade of a downgrade.

by Anonymousreply 123April 20, 2021 5:57 AM

R92 One of each, please. Steven #1 to write me poetry and make love to me and hold me all night, and Steven #2 to act cocky and angrily fuck me and call me a fag on his way out the door immediately after sex.

by Anonymousreply 124April 20, 2021 5:59 AM

[quote]What about Sarah Chalke for Lecey Goranson on ROSEANNE? That was a major downgrade!

I used to think that until Lecy Goranson returned, then I realized how much I had grown to like Sarah Chalke. She kind of made it seem like Lecey couldn't act in comparison. Sarah's "Becky" was much more of a stark contrast to Darlene. Whereas I believe Lecey's "Becky" was much more of the kind of person that would have been both Roseanne's kid and Darlene's sister.

[quote]Jasmine Guy, Cree Summers for Lisa Bonet, Marissa Tomei in A DIFFERENT WORLD

Whitley and Denise both knew each other and were regulars on the first season but that shift they did from one to the other as the focus of the group kept the series going. Denise was so boring. Whitley had faults and had seasons to work on them.

And while Cree Summer replaced Marissa Tomei, I completely forgot that and Charnele Brown/Kimberly was the replacement for Marie-Alise Recasner as Millie.

by Anonymousreply 125April 20, 2021 6:14 AM

There was major tension on "Royale Family" between Redd Fox and at least one or more of producers. Della Reese tells how those "suits" disrespected and otherwise tried to treat Redd Foxx as if he didn't count, in other words they were in charge of things and he was to toe the line.

Della Reese particularly lays out the day Redd Fox had a heart attack on set and events that followed. Long story short barely had doctors in hospital told Mrs. Redd Fox, Della Reese and "suits" that Redd was dead, the producers started going on about "what are we going to do now?"

As for rest Wikipedia pretty much lays out how and why Royale Family ended.

"The show's producers eventually decided to resume work on the series, running commercials in Foxx's memory that included the line "Like any family, The Royal Family will go on." Jackée Harry was added to the cast as Victoria's younger sister Ruth, who moved in to help the family cope with Al's sudden death. She was introduced in the series' eighth episode, which was written to deal with Al Royal's passing. After that episode, The Royal Family was placed on hiatus so the writers could rework the series. When the show returned in April 1992, Harry's role had been reworked; instead of Victoria's sister, she was now the Royals' eldest daughter, CoCo. The ratings of the revived Royal Family did not match those of episodes featuring Foxx, and CBS cancelled the series a week before the broadcast of its first season was scheduled to end, leaving two episodes unaired. Those two episodes would finally air 27 years later, when Decades TV aired them in 2019"

Replacing Redd Foxx with Jackée Harry was never going to work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126April 20, 2021 6:40 AM

There was nearly nil chemistry between Dick Sargent's "Darrin" and Samantha . Clearly many others though so as well because ratings for Bewitched began to tank after the Darrin swap, and never really recovered.

Dick Sargent as Darrin always seemed to have a stick up his ass. When he wasn't threatening Samantha he was yelling at her or whatever. Dick York with that amazing elastic face of his simply captured the confused, scared, and just "what the fuck?" expressions of any mortal faced with what Sam and her family could do.

by Anonymousreply 127April 20, 2021 6:44 AM

R125 There was plenty of contrast with Lecy in the role IMO. Darlene summed it up best when she said if you dropped them both off in the woods, she's the one who would make it home. You knew that as much as Becky was an A student, she was never ever making it out of Lanford. They dumbed Becky down too much with Sarah in the role. I definitely preferred Lecy.

Lecy coming back gave us the amazing "Nearly Identical Beckys" clip, but then when she wasn't available and they had to keep switching back and forth between her and Sarah, the character became an even bigger joke.

And I'm the only one on DL who likes season 9, which Sarah/Becky is barely even in, though that really allowed Mark (RIP) to shine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 20, 2021 7:17 AM

While Charlie was alright, I preferred Mrs. Landingam

by Anonymousreply 129April 20, 2021 7:26 AM

I totally agree with R127, but the weird thing was that in real life, Elizabeth Montgomery couldn't stand Dick York, and was good friends with Dick Sargent.

by Anonymousreply 130April 20, 2021 7:27 AM

R84 It's like they just found some rando chick at Macy's Herald Square and told her she was the next big television star.

by Anonymousreply 131April 20, 2021 7:32 AM

Not sure if Karen's husbands on Knots Landing count since she was a widow for one year between them. I liked Don Murray as Sid -- he was so sweet and he and Karen had an interesting dynamic because their personalities were so different. Kevin Dobson was also great as Mack, but he and Karen had more similar personalities which kind of led them to feed off each other as the neighborhood busybodies, and that dynamic got tired in later seasons IMO. But the show couldn't have grown the way it did had Sid not died. I loved both of them in different ways.

by Anonymousreply 132April 20, 2021 7:37 AM

I don't Tiffani as Valerie REPLACED Shannen as Brenda on 90210

Brenda had bitchy moments but was generally morally grounded

Valerie was an all out archetype soap bitch, she sleep with all the other girls boyfriends, faked a pregnancy, blackmailed people, was arrested for prostitution, killed her rapist father in self defense and covered evidence to make it look like a suicide etc.

by Anonymousreply 133April 20, 2021 7:48 AM

[quote]Wasn't Jackee supposed to be a regular on Designing Women? She showed up in the S6 finale as Anthony's rich fiancee and bought Sugarbaker's.

[italic]Entertainment Weekly[/italic] reported at the time that Jackée ended up unable to return because she was contracted at the last minute for [italic]The Royal Family[/italic] (see R31). It ended up having to go into hiatus so the writers could figure out how to retool the show, but by that time they had already hired Sheryl Lee Ralph.

Jackée has said on Twitter that they simply decided not to bring her back.

Also, the part of BJ Poteet in the last season was written for Bonnie Hunt, but she didn't want it, so they cast Judith Ivey instead.

by Anonymousreply 134April 20, 2021 7:58 AM

R130

Dick Sargent and Elizabeth Montgomery were friends and yes, he was her first choice for "Darrin" in Bewitched. However DS wasn't available then so show went with Dick York.

Depending upon whose story you believe EM didn't like Dick York from the start, said he was too free with his hands and some other complaints. Things went downhill as Dick York's injury (and chronic pain) began interfering with shooting episodes. Again depending upon whose story you believe at first EM was accommodating but her patience gradually wore thin.

For whatever reasons EM had very little to do with Dick York after he left Bewitched. When other cast members were passing hat around to help Dick York and his family while he was laid up in hospital very ill EM declined to involve herself.

by Anonymousreply 135April 20, 2021 8:45 AM

[quote]I loved Courtney Thorne-Smith on Two and a Half Men. I knew she had done a sitcom before, According to Jim (with Jim Belushi)

She was also on another short-lived sitcom, “Day by Day.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136April 20, 2021 12:03 PM

[quote]Charles Emerson Winchester was a huge upgrade over Frank Burns.

What about these two?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137April 20, 2021 12:07 PM

Debbe Dunning (Heidi) replaced Pamela Anderson (Lisa) as the Tool Time girl on Home Improvement when the latter left to star on Baywatch.

by Anonymousreply 138April 20, 2021 1:08 PM

I preferred Goran Visnjic to George Clooney. He was hotter, a better actor, and a more interesting character. Unfortunately, the show itself seemed to get less interesting around that time.

by Anonymousreply 139April 20, 2021 1:10 PM

James Spader replacing Steve Carrell on The Office was a downgrade. But James Spader replacing Dylan McDermott on The Practice was an upgrade. McDermott is an awful actor and by the end he would just should all of his lines in a tone of righteous indignation. It was practically unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 140April 20, 2021 1:15 PM

Larry Linville as Frank Burns was underappreciated, he did the best he could with what he was given, he made Frank relatable, I really enjoyed his presence. As he was leaving the show they gave him a chance to play Frank in a more grounded way, I would have loved them to have kept Linville as Burns on, in that developed state, alongside Stiers.

by Anonymousreply 141April 20, 2021 1:22 PM

Shelley Long was fantastic in Cheers, because her character was so complex: she was snobby and vulnerable, aspirational, smart and goofy. There was never the sense that she was trying to make the audience like her, and yet she was a very popular, and lovable character.

Kirstie Alley was definitely a good replacement, but her character was pretty 2-dimensional. She fit in well and the show had many good years with her, but I don’t think it ever really hit the heights of the Sam and Diane years.

by Anonymousreply 142April 20, 2021 1:27 PM

OP- You watch TOO much TV.

by Anonymousreply 143April 20, 2021 1:35 PM

I fucking hate him now, but Scott Baio replacing Henry Winkler as the family lawyer on ‘Arrested Development’ was genius.

by Anonymousreply 144April 20, 2021 1:41 PM

Party Down - Megan Mullally replaced Jane Lynch. I’d call it even.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 20, 2021 1:50 PM

[quote]Byron Cherry and Christopher Mayer for John Schneider and Tom Wopat, The Dukes of Hazzard

this was a HUGE improvement

by Anonymousreply 146April 20, 2021 1:55 PM

Cuties

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147April 20, 2021 1:56 PM

"Steve" was way hotter than "Mr. B." on Hazel, although "Mr. B." was all muscle and strong.

by Anonymousreply 148April 20, 2021 2:02 PM

R136, I remember watching that show. It's ironic that in one episode, CD Barnes dreams he's a Brady son, when several years later, he'd play Greg Brady in the Brady Bunch movie.

by Anonymousreply 149April 20, 2021 3:59 PM

He replaced Danny Pintauro, compared to whom practically anyone is an improvement, on ATWT. Definite upgrade.

by Anonymousreply 150April 20, 2021 4:10 PM

I agree, R144. And the name 'Bob Loblaw" was inspired.

by Anonymousreply 151April 20, 2021 4:44 PM

Wow, r135, I never knew any of that. Kind of shatters the magic of the show a bit.

by Anonymousreply 152April 20, 2021 6:29 PM

R100, certainly, Sue Ann's first one -- The Lars Affair -- had all four.

by Anonymousreply 153April 20, 2021 6:50 PM

R139, I'll never forgive Goran. I was an extra on ER once, all bandaged up and sitting in a wheelchair and Goran's massively broad shoulder's eclipsed my being seen!

How dare he!!

by Anonymousreply 154April 20, 2021 6:53 PM

I had a five-year running joke with an old co-worker of mine in which we would get into arguments about Kirstie vs. Shelley in the middle of work for no reason.

Kirstie Alley was NOT an upgrade from Shelley Long on "Cheers." I will die on this hill. #TeamShelley

by Anonymousreply 155April 20, 2021 6:54 PM

Shelley Hack replacing the wonderful Kate Jackson on Charlie’s Angels brought nothing to the series. In fact, it brought it down. Kate Jackson was sorely missed.

by Anonymousreply 156April 21, 2021 8:58 AM

CHINA BEACH, downgrade:

Cherry -- the base's sweet, beloved Red Cross "Donut Dolly" -- was killed-off midway through Season 2 because actress Nan Woods wanted out. (not just from the show, but acting, in general).

At the beginning of Season 3, a new, young Red Cross volunteer arrived on the base...in the form of Ricki Lake. UGH! She was painfully BAD, and her character was annoying as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157April 21, 2021 9:19 AM

While I thought Leonard Nimoy's "Paris" character was an 'okay' replacement for Martin Landau's "Rollin Hand" character, "Mission Impossible" really fumbled on replacing Barbara Bain's "Cinnamon Carter" character. From WIki:

[quote] Cinnamon was replaced in season four by a series of guest stars, only one of whom made more than one appearance: Lee Meriwether as Tracey. Season five added Dana Lambert, played by stage and movie actress Lesley Ann Warren (billed as "Lesley Warren"). In seasons six and seven, the female member of the team was cosmetologist and mistress-of-disguise Lisa Casey (Lynda Day George), whose first name was only established in the 1988–1989 revival. During her maternity leave, Lynda Day George was replaced in a third of the season seven episodes by Mimi Davis, played by Barbara Anderson, who had been in Ironside.

Here she is winning the Emmy after exiting post-contract dispute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158April 21, 2021 9:09 PM

r44, you ought to know these queens will find a way to mention The Golden Girls in ANY thread.

by Anonymousreply 159April 23, 2021 10:49 AM

Tanya Roberts replacing Shelley Hack on "Charlie's Angels" was an upgrade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160April 23, 2021 10:57 AM

[Quote] Javicia Leslie for Ruby Rose, Batwoman

Javicia can act, so that's a no brainer. But now Wallis Day will be playing Kate. So if she turns out to be the best, Batwoman will be an even bigger shitshow than it already is.

[Quote] Tiffani-Amber Thiessen for Shannen Doherty, Beverly Hills, 90210

I never warmed up to Brenda, so i think Valerie was an upgrade.

[Quote] Rose McGowan for Shannen Doherty, Charmed

She was a good replacement, but the writing went downhill after Shannen left.

by Anonymousreply 161April 24, 2021 11:47 AM

I remember hearing about Vanessa Williams being cut from Melrose Place and her having a complete meltdown on the set calling the producers a bunch of racists. Considering the fact that they never introduced another black character on the show I think she may have been right.

by Anonymousreply 162April 24, 2021 4:19 PM

Sabrina the Teenage Witch - Jenny was replaced as Sabrina’s best friend by Valerie in season 2 with no explanation. I preferred Jenny. She was more unique.

by Anonymousreply 163April 24, 2021 8:53 PM

Wasn't it MJH and her mother who got rid of Jenny??

by Anonymousreply 164April 25, 2021 3:23 AM

R164 really? MJH seems so sweet on the show. Could she really have been a vindictive bitch behind the scenes?

by Anonymousreply 165April 25, 2021 3:32 AM

^ That's pretty hard to believe. Sounds impossible really. Never heard of such behavior.

by Anonymousreply 166April 25, 2021 4:21 AM

R165 I can't tell if whether or not you're being sarcastic 🤔

by Anonymousreply 167April 25, 2021 5:39 AM

R167 It's so hard to tell on the internet, but I was being serious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168April 25, 2021 6:33 AM

R148 , You are Blind , Don was a hunk , please get new glasses .

by Anonymousreply 169April 25, 2021 7:52 AM

Even though I loved Rob Estes & Mitzi Kapture on Silk Stalkings, their replacements Janet Gunn & Chris Potter from season 6-8 were fantastic and had wonderful chemistry. I loved both pairs but they def were an upgrade from the original pair of replacements in season 5.

by Anonymousreply 170April 25, 2021 8:22 AM

April Stevens was an upgrade over Pamela Ewing - in a way. I know holier-than-though Pam was a fan favorite, and Victoria Principal was the best portraying her. But I always found her a little boring. She had a little bit of spice in the beginning, but later on she was really just the nagging wife pushing Bobby to not just being good but holy. She was a bit more fun when they were divorced, but once they re-married she was insufferable again.

April Stevens started as a baddie, and turned quickly to Mary Poppins. But she always had more to do than Pam and showed more facets She did her own scheming. Pam was way more re-active. April suffered from poor writing in the later years, and the actress did not quite reflect an archetype like Principal did. And the chemistry between Principal and Patrick Duffy could not be matched. But as a character I found her more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 171April 25, 2021 1:20 PM

170 responses and no one mentions Mrs. Olsen replacing Nellie with Nancy. DL downgrade.

by Anonymousreply 172April 25, 2021 6:48 PM

R162 the producers were all extreme liberal whites and Jews, you sound like a fool

And if they were so racist, they why did they create Rhonda and hire Vanessa Williams for the role to begin with?

Creator Darren Star SPECIFICALLY stated Rhonda had to be black

Her character failed to take off, and I'm a Vanessa Williams fan, nothing more

Also there were plenty of black characters who were recurring most notably Anne Marie Johnson's lawyer character Alycia, who was only supposed to be on for a few episodes but ended up doing mostly all the episodes in the 4th season and was involved in the A storyline with Amanda and Peter that year

She rocked on the show and they let her be a real, scheming bitch too

by Anonymousreply 173April 25, 2021 6:58 PM

Although Rhonda and Amanda were on MP at the same time, Amanda more or less replaced Rhonda as by start of season 2 she had Rhonda's apartment. Certainly an upgrade there.

by Anonymousreply 174April 25, 2021 8:03 PM

The MASH replacements were a mixed bag. Harry Morgan was probably an upgrade, and fit in well with the cast. They probably went as far as they could with the character of Frank Burns, and at first Winchester seemed like he would be a worthy adversary to Hawkeye, but damn, Larry Linville was just plain funnier. The only bad replacement was Mike Farrell for Wayne Rogers. Farrell never had a truly funny moment in his entire tenure on the show.

The worst replacement ever was Jack Burns for Don Knotts on "Andy Griffith Show".

I'm torn about the "Hazel" replacement. Don DeFore was hands=down the better and funnier actor. But I would give my left nut to see Ray Fulmer naked.

by Anonymousreply 175April 25, 2021 8:44 PM

Fuller is apparently still alive at 88, r175. Never give up hope.

by Anonymousreply 176April 26, 2021 3:44 PM

R173 I suppose you're fine with blacks just playing the roles of housekeepers too. The producers of Melrose Place may have tried really hard to look socially concerned, but the casting for the show was flat-out racist in their lack of inclusion of non-whites. Furthermore, being Jewish doesn't excuse a person from being a racist.

by Anonymousreply 177April 26, 2021 4:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!