Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“California Dreams” (1992-1996) - SBTB knock off about California teens in a band

Omg I used to watch this when I was a kid. I loved it! But looking back, why didn’t this take off the way Saved by the Bell did? SBTB was a hit and still relevant today, whereas no one remembers this one. Sad.

It’s a shame. This was a cute show and the teens cast are cuties!!!

As a kid I had a crush on Sly, but looking now, Matt is sooooo cute (the lead singer).

And both girls are beautiful!!! Omg. I don’t remember them being so pretty.

Scary how watching this brought back so many memories and I got teary eyed. The nostalgia hit me lol. And scary how I remember the words like 25 years later. Omg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2021 2:00 AM

I thought the one tough guy character was hot but none of the characters really had any personality. I’d watch it sometimes when I was really bored after school.

by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2021 2:51 AM

I, too, had a crush on Sly.

A few years ago Jimmy Fallon reunited them on his show. Might have been when he was at 12:30

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2021 2:52 AM

Here's a link to the Fallon reunion in 2014. Most of the cast looks pretty good still, particularly Sly. The guy who plays Jake has definitely aged the worst of the bunch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2021 2:56 AM

Sly was my favorite. Hmm. Did the brunette end up on one of the soaps or am I confusing her with someone else?

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2021 2:59 AM

I used to watch it too, op, but I haven’t thought about this show since the day it stopped airing in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2021 3:01 AM

I used to watch this & Out of This World back in the day, I much preferred OOTW. My sister used to make me watch this show to punish me for watching the other one! But SBTB really was a better show all around.

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2021 3:05 AM

I also liked Tony, hot black dude. I'm sure he has a big black cock

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2021 3:05 AM

R7 I liked him a lot but never thought of him like that. Granted I never thought of Matt like that either but watching now I’m like, oh, they’re both super cute!

All my attention was on Sly, Jake (although now I don’t think he’s cute) and Mark when he came to replace Matt.

This show had some cuties!

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2021 3:14 AM

Omg hearing the song as an adult, it’s actually very cute and sweet and charming. “Surf dudes with attitudes, kinda groovy” lol.

R5 same. This was a suggested video on YouTube out of nowhere and I clicked, and now memories have taken over. Sigh. I miss the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2021 3:16 AM

R9 I just experienced the same same saudade, lol.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2021 3:17 AM

The video def makes you miss the 90s, especially if you lived/grew up in California

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2021 3:26 AM

Every episode is on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2021 3:39 AM

Episode 1.

Sly really was a cutie. Love his smile in the opening credits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2021 3:41 AM

The one who played Mark was so cute!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2021 3:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2021 3:53 AM

Omg. I was working in a hotel in New Orleans one Mardi Gras in the 90s and three of the guys from that show checked in. We had no idea who they were, but they were all horsing around and acting like children and while they were leaving the front desk, one of them kept shouting to my co-worker “Yo Michelle! You a fan? YO MICHELLE!! You a FAN?!” and she kept shouting back “of what?” genuinely confused. “A fan of what?!!”

Their manager pulled them out of the hotel the next day because they were smoking pot. Sent them all home.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2021 4:15 AM

R16 lmao they were young. What are you gonna do?

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2021 11:12 AM

Listen to all the lyrics to that song. Matt’s lyrics are about being cool and mellow, and then when you get to Tony (black guy) his lyrics are

“Noise and confusion

Tough times in the neighborhood.

Let me keep my illusion...”

Ummmm. Who wrote those lyrics and why were they given to the black kid?

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2021 12:50 AM

I guess Tony was from Compton

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2021 12:47 PM

He lived in the same area as them lmfaooooo

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2021 12:58 PM

Loved this show

by Anonymousreply 21May 11, 2021 4:04 AM

California Dreams was successful. It ran for 5 seasons; 78 episodes. Then again, Saved by the Bell: The New Class ran for 7 seasons; 143 episodes. Much longer than SBTB's 4 seasons; 86 episodes. However, neither was the pop cultural phenomenon that SBTB was. SBTB had tons of merchandise (e.g., posters, Barbie/Ken dolls, novelizations, board games, magnets, stickers, Trapper Keepers) and really connected with its targeted tween audience the others didn't.

by Anonymousreply 22May 11, 2021 4:25 AM

Also, none of the main characters in either California Dreams nor The New Class became a teen idol/household name like Mark-Paul Gosselaar.

by Anonymousreply 23May 11, 2021 4:28 AM

R15 yeah he’s really cute.

I don’t give this show much thought but I do remember it and it was better than most of the other shows by the same people: USA high, Malibu ca and hang time.

One memory I have is an episode where the rich girl Lorena is looking for her ski boots and she kept saying ski boots in a really annoying way. That’s all.

by Anonymousreply 24May 11, 2021 4:54 AM

Jay Anthony Franke was very fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 25May 11, 2021 4:57 AM

[quote] Omg

Dyatlov right?

by Anonymousreply 26May 11, 2021 5:39 AM

[quote] she kept saying ski boots in a really annoying way.

How?

by Anonymousreply 27May 11, 2021 5:40 AM

R27 lots of emphasis on the boots. Gee, I can’t remember exactly anymore just that it was somewhat irritating sort of like the friends cast when they over emphasise words for laughs.

by Anonymousreply 28May 11, 2021 5:58 AM

I loved this show. Matt 😍

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2021 11:02 PM

Michael “Sly” Cade is on Cameo if anyone is so inclined. $50 is a bargain compared to what some others are charging. Frankly I’d rather see him on OnlyFans but maybe he’d take requests for dirty talk 😉

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2021 12:09 AM

R30 Cameo, when you're not hot enough for OnlyFans.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2021 2:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!